PDA

View Full Version : One more signing to go, so who's it gonna be?

green glory
10-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Airey maybe? But we still need a right back. Calderwood is ticking all the boxes now. A RB would set things up nicely for the derby. :devil:

Barney McGrew
10-08-2011, 04:19 PM
Airey's having a medical tomorrow.

He's played RB for Newcastle a few times recently.

Hibbie_Cameron
10-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Maybe we will sign Airey tomorrow then a right back at a later date?

Mikey
10-08-2011, 04:23 PM

I honestly can't see us signing him as a right back. Not even to fill in.

Airey and Moloney is much more likely.

Barney McGrew
10-08-2011, 04:24 PM

I agree. But then that can't be true, we'd never have the board backing the manager would we?

Mikey
10-08-2011, 04:25 PM
I agree. But then that can't be true, we'd never have the board backing the manager would we?

Well it's never happened before :greengrin

Speedway
10-08-2011, 04:25 PM
We should have Airey tomorrow and we'll carry on waiting for Maloney. Both are loans however.

Towell and Reynolds I could see as being deadline day deals.

Sir David Gray
10-08-2011, 04:27 PM
A right back is an absolute necessity.

Still think we need about another three to come in but I would say there's next to no chance of that happening.

frazeHFC
10-08-2011, 04:28 PM
We should have Airey tomorrow and we'll carry on waiting for Maloney. Both are loans however.

Towell and Reynolds I could see as being deadline day deals.

If we got all of them, then that would be brill!

Craig_in_Prague
10-08-2011, 04:30 PM
RB now is critical.

Though, we'll have a pretty good bunch of midfielders......not a lot of creativity ....... But if it makes us harder to beat, that'll do nicely. We have 3 good forwards in the squad + Sproule, so there are goals in the side. I assume CC see's Thornhill as someone that can play more advanced in midfield, and the new signing today will no doubt get forward - CC mentioned he's athletic, so would expect him to get forward a bit...... All in all it's the RB position, and possibly LM/LW where we need to fill.....and then, we're good to go :aok:

Franck Stanton
10-08-2011, 04:33 PM
Just my opinion, and I could be wrong, but think we will sign Airey on loan, and Malone for r/b on permanant 2yr deal. Time will tell I suppose. FWIW I think the current squad is looking quite good and will make at least top 6, with a wee bit luck and self-belief, may even be challenging for a european spot.

Diclonius
10-08-2011, 04:35 PM
We have a very good squad now - my only concern is that if Thornhill is injured we only really have de Graaf as backup in the advanced midfield role - and given his from last season that is slightly unsettling. I have a feeling he'll come good this season though. :aok:

1987green
10-08-2011, 05:02 PM
CC Was at Livingston v Stirling Albion match last night Word from Livi fans was he would be watchin Craig Barr

CapitalHibs
10-08-2011, 05:07 PM
Bounce and Hibsmad reporting Airey deal will only be 6 month loan deal. Maybe something to do with Phil no wanting to stay away from Newcastle for too long:dunno:

green glory
10-08-2011, 05:09 PM
How things have changed, compared to a few weeks ago when so many were ready for getting rid of Caldo. If he's a good solid manager who makes Easter Road somewhere to fear again, then I'll happily put up with his on-screen shortcomings. He's not the best at PR, but he has an eye for good players. However, the acid test is the results when everyone is available and/or fit to play.

:cgwa

greenlex
10-08-2011, 05:14 PM
CC Was at Livingston v Stirling Albion match last night Word from Livi fans was he would be watchin Craig Barr
Maybe we are gonna resign Andy McNeill. :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
10-08-2011, 05:17 PM
How things have changed, compared to a few weeks ago when so many were ready for getting rid of Caldo. If he's a good solid manager who makes Easter Road somewhere to fear again, then I'll happily put up with his on-screen shortcomings. He's not the best at PR, but he has an eye for good players. However, the acid test is the results when everyone is available and/or fit to play.

:agree:

At The Edge
10-08-2011, 05:20 PM

someone told me that he was down at the Forrest v County game watching Maloney, i kinda thought that would make sense esp if Hibs had a day off today.
We'll find out soon i guess.

green glory
10-08-2011, 05:26 PM
someone told me that he was down at the Forrest v County game watching Maloney, i kinda thought that would make sense esp if Hibs had a day off today.
We'll find out soon i guess.

Maybe for a meeting in a hotel with an unknown 'third man'. :worms:

CapitalHibs
10-08-2011, 05:47 PM
If Airey is going to be only a 6 month loan deal, I hope our youngsters, David Crawford and Ross Caldwell get their own loan deals and come back in 6 months a wee bit more "battle-hardened" and ready to fight for a place in the first team squad.

1987green
10-08-2011, 06:04 PM
He was 100% at Livi game last night coz he was sittin 2 seats away fi me
:thumbsup:

steakbake
10-08-2011, 06:13 PM
I would like Towell to come in. Airey would be good. Still think we could see a couple more in!

hibsfan7
10-08-2011, 06:15 PM
a new right back and another striker i hope

:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::f lag::flag:

Sir David Gray
10-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Squad as it stands just now;

GK

Stack
Brown

DF

Booth
Murray
Hart
Hanlon
O'Hanlon
Stephens

MF

Stevenson
Wotherspoon
de Graaf
Scott
Thornhill
Osbourne
Palsson
Galbraith
Sproule
Welsh

ST

O'Connor
Sodje
Agogo

Out on loan?

Crawford
Taggart
Caldwell
Smith
Horner
Handling
Forster

That would give us a first team squad of 21 players, with 7 youngsters going out on loan. We're already above the upper limit for the squad size that Calderwood wanted us to have, which was 20, so we probably won't have more than one extra signing coming in.

If that is the case then it must be a right back.

alexhibsfan
10-08-2011, 06:27 PM
I see Phil Airey and a rb signing for Saturday

Craig_HFC
10-08-2011, 06:29 PM

GK

Stack
Brown

DF

Booth
Murray
Hart
Hanlon
O'Hanlon
Stephens

MF

Stevenson
Wotherspoon
de Graaf
Scott
Thornhill
Osbourne
Palsson
Galbraith
Sproule
Welsh

ST

O'Connor
Sodje
Agogo

Out on loan?

Crawford
Taggart
Caldwell
Smith
Horner
Handling
Forster

That would give us a first team squad of 21 players, with 7 youngsters going out on loan. We're already above the upper limit for the squad size that Calderwood wanted us to have, which was 20, so we probably won't have more than one extra signing coming in.

I'm sure that was 20 'first team' players. I don't think it included the youngsters; Crawford, Caldwell et al.

CapitalHibs
10-08-2011, 06:32 PM

GK

Stack
Brown

DF

Booth
Murray
Hart
Hanlon
O'Hanlon
Stephens

MF

Stevenson
Wotherspoon
de Graaf
Scott
Thornhill
Osbourne
Palsson
Galbraith
Sproule
Welsh

ST

O'Connor
Sodje
Agogo

Out on loan?

Crawford
Taggart
Caldwell
Smith
Horner
Handling
Forster

Think Scott, Hart and possibly DeGraaf maybe moving on. 3 strikers ain't enough imo.

IWasThere2016
10-08-2011, 06:32 PM
I honestly can't see us signing him as a right back. Not even to fill in.

:agree: but we need a RB

HibeeMG
10-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Another question to ask is who do we think might be punted before transfer window 'slams shut'? :dunno:

greenlex
10-08-2011, 06:42 PM

GK

Stack
Brown

DF

Booth
Murray
Hart
Hanlon
O'Hanlon
Stephens

MF

Stevenson
Wotherspoon
de Graaf
Scott
Thornhill
Osbourne
Palsson
Galbraith
Sproule
Welsh

ST

O'Connor
Sodje
Agogo

Out on loan?

Crawford
Taggart
Caldwell
Smith
Horner
Handling
Forster

We will sign a right back. Towell or Maloney
We will go with the 3 experienced strikers backed up with Caldwell and Crawford as neither go out on loan.

Two midfielders will go. Pick from Welsh, Scott (possibly back to RC on loan) and De Graff.

Taggart Smith Horner Handling and Forster will go out for initially six month loan deals.

Dashing Bob S
10-08-2011, 06:46 PM

Be good if we got another Barr in Edinburgh.

Does this one work?

leither17
10-08-2011, 06:52 PM
Kenny_Millar (http://www.hibs.net/#!/Kenny_Millar) Kenny Millar

Ahead of impending loan move to Hibs, interesting that Newcastle's Phil Airey has deleted his Tweets on the subject.

hope it is still on

Sir David Gray
10-08-2011, 06:53 PM
I'm sure that was 20 'first team' players. I don't think it included the youngsters; Crawford, Caldwell et al.

Yeah, you're right that his ideal figure didn't include youngsters. However we still have 21 first team players, excluding the younger players.

Think Scott, Hart and possibly DeGraaf maybe moving on. 3 strikers ain't enough imo.

You may be right. I also agree that 3 strikers isn't enough.

We will sign a right back. Towell or Maloney
We will go with the 3 experienced strikers backed up with Caldwell and Crawford as neither go out on loan.

Two midfielders will go. Pick from Welsh, Scott (possibly back to RC on loan) and De Graff.

Taggart Smith Horner Handling and Forster will go out for initially six month loan deals.

Cheers, Colin! :greengrin

mon the cabbage
11-08-2011, 09:38 AM

How do you know this

Sylar
11-08-2011, 09:47 AM

Why would he be watching Craig Barr? He's a CB.

greenlex
11-08-2011, 09:57 AM
More likely to be Bobby Barr or Andy McNeill :agree:

AlbertK86
11-08-2011, 10:01 AM
still need a left mid in as we are really weak there

Sylar
11-08-2011, 10:04 AM
More likely to be Bobby Barr or Andy McNeill :agree:

I wouldn't be surprised if an SPL club came looking at the guy - he's pacey, direct and knows how to find the net.

Not quite sure he'd be any better than the likes of Sproule or Galbraith though.

1987green
11-08-2011, 11:24 AM

Craig Barr is predominantly a right back and it is his favoured posistion Bolan moved him to centre back because of injuries and he has played there ever since

HibbyAndy
11-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Rumour has it Airey can play RB..Spoony plays there now and again but a proper RB signing and ill be well chuffed with what we have bagged in the window.

Albion Hibs
11-08-2011, 11:46 AM
I think we have a few players now that could fill the right back role, Palsson, Wotherspoon and possibley Airey if he is confirmed, and even a youngster or two.

If Airey is coming on a 6 month deal I would imagine it is for starting 11 football, I would be inclined to think it is on his terms as getting noticed as a striker and not as a right back. I would fancy Palsson staying at right back and Airey playing off a striker or as part of a wide midfield.

alexhibsfan
11-08-2011, 11:51 AM
Well waste money on a rb when we can play pallson there till we get Sodje and Agogo fit then play Airey rb so i see a Lm geting signed

blackpoolhibs
11-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Well waste money on a rb when we can play pallson there till we get Sodje and Agogo fit then play Airey rb so i see a Lm geting signed

What has this got to do with Motherwell?