PDA

View Full Version : Question re Hearts

weecounty hibby
07-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Can someone please tell me why for as long as I can remember they keep being mentioned in the press as "the team to split the OF" or even to win the league:crazy:.

Even taking off the Hibs tinted specs I just don't see where this comes from. Can someone please enlighten me.

nonshinyfinish
07-08-2011, 05:14 PM
Can someone please tell me why for as long as I can remember they keep being mentioned in the press as "the team to split the OF" or even to win the league:crazy:.

Even taking off the Hibs tinted specs I just don't see where this comes from. Can someone please enlighten me.

Wage bill.

Elephant Stone
07-08-2011, 05:18 PM

I don't think I've ever seen Hearts being tipped to win the league in media. If they've been tipped to split the OF I suppose it's because they were the only team to do it fairly recently. I can't see either of the OF being as revolting as the huns were that year for it to happen again anytime soon though.

weecounty hibby
07-08-2011, 05:22 PM
Wage bill.

Not a reason for thinking that they can split the OF. Just cos you pay someone a high wage doesn't mean they are a good footballer! HMFC have proved this recently on a number of occasions

nonshinyfinish
07-08-2011, 05:24 PM
Not a reason for thinking that they can split the OF. Just cos you pay someone a high wage doesn't mean they are a good footballer! HMFC have proved this recently on a number of occasions

Yes, but if you are the only team with the ability to pay wages in anything like the same ball park as the OF, then you're likely to be touted as the team that might give them some competition. Doesn't mean that they're actually going to do it.

Hexham Hibee
07-08-2011, 05:38 PM
As said before - wages! Hearts are by far and away the third highest wage payers (when they do pay them) in Scotland and there generally a ink between wages bill and league position. Gretna, Livingston, Dundee have all had relative success based on paying more than their rivals.

Whether that is enough to be second or better then time will tell.

greenlex
07-08-2011, 05:42 PM
Simples. The media monkeys are taking the piss out them. Hope that clears things up. :greengrin

Hibs Class
07-08-2011, 05:46 PM
You don't win champions leagues without at least splitting the OF in the preceding season.

weecounty hibby
07-08-2011, 05:49 PM
As said before - wages! Hearts are by far and away the third highest wage payers (when they do pay them) in Scotland and there generally a ink between wages bill and league position. Gretna, Livingston, Dundee have all had relative success based on paying more than their rivals.

Whether that is enough to be second or better then time will tell.

Ok so they pay John Sutton 10k per week and we pay GOC 5k per week does that make Sutton a better player than O'Connor. Figures are for illustration purposes only!! They are paying above average wages to average players. All other teams in SPL have average [players we just pay them average wages. I do not see any justification in this constant, and it is every season, claiming HMFC will split the OF not just media but HMFC themselves.

matty_f
07-08-2011, 05:57 PM
The yams are displaying near relegation form. Long may it continue.

ronaldo7
07-08-2011, 05:57 PM
Ok so they pay John Sutton 10k per week and we pay GOC 5k per week does that make Sutton a better player than O'Connor. Figures are for illustration purposes only!! They are paying above average wages to average players. All other teams in SPL have average [players we just pay them average wages. I do not see any justification in this constant, and it is every season, claiming HMFC will split the OF not just media but HMFC themselves

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2011/08/07/john-sutton-insists-hearts-are-good-enough-to-win-spl-86908-23326584/

:greengrin

hibsbollah
07-08-2011, 05:59 PM
They did split them in 2005 IIRC. Last team since Motherwell.

R'Albin
07-08-2011, 06:08 PM
Wage bill.

:agree:

Alfred E Newman
07-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Its called positive thinking coupled with a bit of spin to keep the supporters happy. You have got to set your targets high, that way you might not split the Old Firm at the end of the season but you might just finish 3rd. Our target seems to be getting into the top 6 which might be realistic but it doesn`t really capture the fans imagination.

hibsfan7
07-08-2011, 06:45 PM
with the same points and goal diff as aberdeen st johnstone how are they above them the only thing that i can see is that they drew away from home apart from that they should be 3rd bottom at least

:na na::na na::na na::na na::na na::na na::na na::na na::na na::na na:

nonshinyfinish
07-08-2011, 07:03 PM
with the same points and goal diff as aberdeen st johnstone how are they above them the only thing that i can see is that they drew away from home apart from that they should be 3rd bottom at least

:na na::na na::na na::na na::na na::na na::na na::na na::na na::na na:

They're above them on goals scored.

Sunny1875
07-08-2011, 07:08 PM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2011/08/07/john-sutton-insists-hearts-are-good-enough-to-win-spl-86908-23326584/

They would struggle to mount a cheap hooker never mind a challenge to the O/F deluded is one of the word's i use to describe my yam friends now

Bostonhibby
07-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Simples. The media monkeys are taking the piss out them. Hope that clears things up. :greengrin

:agree: Wot I think :greengrin

Franck Stanton
07-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Because if you say something loudly and long enough then people start to believe it. The yams have claimed for years now that they are "The 3rd Force" in Scottish football, coupled with more recently "The Best of the Rest" and then the mad one claiming he wants his team to win the league, then the dafties that write our football reports in the gutter press begin to beLIEve it could be possible.

Removed
07-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Because if you say something loudly and long enough then people start to believe it. The yams have claimed for years now that they are "The 3rd Force" in Scottish football, coupled with more recently "The Best of the Rest" and then the mad one claiming he wants his team to win the league, then the dafties that write our football reports in the gutter press begin to beLIEve it could be possible. They've got the best atmosphere as well. Must be true if they say it on the radio and tv every week :rolleyes:

Hibs Class
07-08-2011, 07:30 PM
They're above them on goals scored. I hate to be a pedant, but that should read they're above them on goal scored, seeing as they have managed just the one goal in three games. Not quite championship winning form.

Hibernia Na Eir
07-08-2011, 07:33 PM
Ok so they pay John Sutton 10k per week and we pay GOC 5k per week does that make Sutton a better player than O'Connor. Figures are for illustration purposes only!! They are paying above average wages to average players. All other teams in SPL have average [players we just pay them average wages. I do not see any justification in this constant, and it is every season, claiming HMFC will split the OF not just media but HMFC themselves. sutton or GOC won't earn anywhere near what you state

jgl07
07-08-2011, 07:36 PM
They did split them in 2005 IIRC. Last team since Motherwell.

and Hibs!

nonshinyfinish
07-08-2011, 07:37 PM
I hate to be a pedant, but that should read they're above them on goal scored, seeing as they have managed just the one goal in three games. Not quite championship winning form.

I take your point, but surely 'goals scored' is a shortened form of 'number of goals scored' - which works even when that number is a paltry one.

I must add, however, that your analysis of championship-winning form (or lack thereof) is flawless.

jdships
07-08-2011, 07:37 PM
sutton or GOC won't earn anywhere near what you state

Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
Ok so they pay John Sutton 10k per week and we pay GOC 5k per week does that make Sutton a better player than O'Connor. Figures are for illustration purposes only!! They are paying above average wages to average players. All other teams in SPL have average [players we just pay them average wages. I do not see any justification in this constant, and it is every season, claiming HMFC will split the OF not just media but HMFC themselves.

Take note of what " the man " said :greengrin:wink:

carnoustiehibee
07-08-2011, 07:47 PM
The two hearts simpletons that drink in my pub keep saying hearts are "better than you " are they going on Scottish cup glorys or because we haven't had.......... the sacking of Burley, we've had Rix, we've had Eddie Malofeev, we've had Rima, the pyjama man, the black box, Christian f***ing Nade, tartan shorts, Nerijus Barasa, a missing telly, a collection box being chored, Valdas "Is he actually alive" Ivanauskas, Benny-effin-useless, a missing plasma, Craig Thomson, World Cup Stars, Champions League winners, £10 million budgets, clear of debt by the end of 2005, Pillae-biters, technical glitches, blips, errors and faults, we've had Korobotcha, we've had Stephen Frail, skint den mothers, a match-fixing Kello, Sgt Pepper album car boots, jumble sales, RRRRRRRRRRRRRRevolution, we've had what the beautiful people are wearing, an empty shop, Arbroath, fights with Bednar, a coked up Black, we've had Vlad in the dugout for a European game, sell-outs that arnae really sell-outs, monkeys, typewriters, fax machines, pipe dreams, gangsters, mafias, club shop appointments, Wonga, pink elephant banks, pink bus shelters, press boxes made out of disused bomb shelters, asbestos, doulbing up on debts, debt for equity,
registration fees, Roman Romanov, Callum Elliot re-enacting Bareback Mountain, Jim Duffy, water supplies cut off, the championing of sex offenders, Bar Roma, Darren Barr, players so unpronounceable they're referred to as numbers and most of all, we've had Vlad.

Jim44
07-08-2011, 07:56 PM
The two hearts simpletons that drink in my pub keep saying hearts are "better than you " are they going on Scottish cup glorys or because we haven't had.......... the sacking of Burley, we've had Rix, we've had Eddie Malofeev, we've had Rima, the pyjama man, the black box, Christian f***ing Nade, tartan shorts, Nerijus Barasa, a missing telly, a collection box being chored, Valdas "Is he actually alive" Ivanauskas, Benny-effin-useless, a missing plasma, Craig Thomson, World Cup Stars, Champions League winners, £10 million budgets, clear of debt by the end of 2005, Pillae-biters, technical glitches, blips, errors and faults, we've had Korobotcha, we've had Stephen Frail, skint den mothers, a match-fixing Kello, Sgt Pepper album car boots, jumble sales, RRRRRRRRRRRRRRevolution, we've had what the beautiful people are wearing, an empty shop, Arbroath, fights with Bednar, a coked up Black, we've had Vlad in the dugout for a European game, sell-outs that arnae really sell-outs, monkeys, typewriters, fax machines, pipe dreams, gangsters, mafias, club shop appointments, Wonga, pink elephant banks, pink bus shelters, press boxes made out of disused bomb shelters, asbestos, doulbing up on debts, debt for equity,
registration fees, Roman Romanov, Callum Elliot re-enacting Bareback Mountain, Jim Duffy, water supplies cut off, the championing of sex offenders, Bar Roma, Darren Barr, players so unpronounceable they're referred to as numbers and most of all, we've had Vlad.

.......................................... surely George Foulkes deserves a mention in there somewhere.:rolleyes:

Bostonhibby
07-08-2011, 08:12 PM
.......................................... surely George Foulkes deserves a mention in there somewhere.:rolleyes:

Hope this helps :wink:

Jonnyboy
07-08-2011, 08:18 PM
It's no big mystery really

Celtc starts with a C
Hearts starts with an H
Rangers starts with an R

Alphabetical folk ken whits goin on :wink:

LeithBoozy
07-08-2011, 08:31 PM
You should give him his full title, Lord George.......face down in the gutter....Foulks.

FranckSuzy
07-08-2011, 09:00 PM
It's no big mystery really

Celtc starts with a C
Hearts starts with an H
Rangers starts with an R

Alphabetical folk ken whits goin on :wink:

Ah, but it's Glasgow Rangers isn't it? Still not splitting the OF. Epic fail. Again :greengrin

Jonnyboy
07-08-2011, 09:18 PM
Ah, but it's Glasgow Rangers isn't it? Still not splitting the OF. Epic fail. Again :greengrin

Pedant :greengrin

FranckSuzy
07-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Pedant :greengrin

Correct, but the ultra-pedant might also say it's Glasgow Celtic as well, so Glasgow Celtic, Glasgow Rangers and then Heart of Midlothian so they are still third :greengrin

Jonnyboy
07-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Correct, but the ultra-pedant might also say it's Glasgow Celtic as well, so Glasgow Celtic, Glasgow Rangers and then Heart of Midlothian so they are still third :greengrin

Cannae argue wi' that logic :greengrin

TonyMontana1875
07-08-2011, 10:09 PM

:taxi

Thats cheered me up no end. What an absolute balloon! Well suited to the Yams. They will win heehaw this year.

The Harp
07-08-2011, 11:15 PM
They've got the best atmosphere as well. Must be true if they say it on the radio and tv every week :rolleyes:

Yeah, Cosgrove and Cowan were going over the top in talking up H**rts and their asbestos pink palace on yesterday's Off The Ball prog. Pretty sickening to listen to.

nonshinyfinish
08-08-2011, 12:26 PM

A mega-pedant might then point out that neither Celtic nor Rangers have the word Glasgow as part of their official full names.

FranckSuzy
08-08-2011, 12:46 PM
A mega-pedant might then point out that neither Celtic nor Rangers have the word Glasgow as part of their official full names.

Ah, ok, but surely if it meant that HMFC aren't even splitting them alphabetically then we can just pretend it's correct? :greengrin

mjhibby
08-08-2011, 02:33 PM
Its like liverpool fans saying they are going to win the premiership next season.You can say it easy enough but when reality kicks in and your 20 points behind then its just where you would expect them to finish.I think a lot of it is just the west meedya setting them up to laugh at them later.Its the way of the world.Since romanov took over they have finished above us 4 times and us 3 times above them so their target is to finish above us in reality and at best third.Given the horrendous run they are on at the moment(so similar to us in yogis later time)that even 4th could well be beyond them especially as they have a number of their regulars like kyle and webster etc always injured.They are missing bouzid and paleswaleos big time and that will be more eveident as the season goes on.
They dream of being a big club but 2 trophies in 50 years sums it up.Weve won 3 trophies in that time and have been in europe more times etc so they have no reason to think they will be regular challengers to the top two.Still makes it all the sweeter when they have a crap season and the peasents start revolting and then vlad sweet talks them again.what a joke club they are mainly due to the gullable and brainwashed fans.

PatHead
08-08-2011, 02:58 PM
Almost choked on my coffee at work when a Hearts supporter, in all seriousness, said "We might struggle to win the league this year after yesterday's result". I replied with "You'll never win the league any year you daft cant". Don't think it got through though

Can anyone think of a more appropriate reply which would help it settle in his thick skull?

Dashing Bob S
08-08-2011, 03:03 PM
The only thing in danger of being split by those chancers is the local schoolchildren.

Baw187
08-08-2011, 03:09 PM
Its like liverpool fans saying they are going to win the premiership next season.You can say it easy enough but when reality kicks in and your 20 points behind then its just where you would expect them to finish.I think a lot of it is just the west meedya setting them up to laugh at them later.Its the way of the world.Since romanov took over they have finished above us 4 times and us 3 times above them so their target is to finish above us in reality and at best third.Given the horrendous run they are on at the moment(so similar to us in yogis later time)that even 4th could well be beyond them especially as they have a number of their regulars like kyle and webster etc always injured.They are missing bouzid and paleswaleos big time and that will be more eveident as the season goes on.
They dream of being a big club but 2 trophies in 50 years sums it up.Weve won 3 trophies in that time and have been in europe more times etc so they have no reason to think they will be regular challengers to the top two.Still makes it all the sweeter when they have a crap season and the peasents start revolting and then vlad sweet talks them again.what a joke club they are mainly due to the gullable and brainwashed fans.

Liverpool have a far bigger chance of winning the EPL (slim as it may be) than Hearts will ever have of winning the SPL.

mim
08-08-2011, 03:35 PM
'Splitting the OF' is a pile of mince no matter who is being touted to do it.

If any team is capable of finishing above one of the uglies in the league, they are also capable of finishing above the other one.

How t.f. would a team have 'split the OF' last season, when there was only 1 point between them?

Any team targetting splitting the OF should take a real good look at themselves. You either try to win the league or you don't.

Romanov has set the right target for Hearts. :agree:

........of course, they'll fail miserably. :wink:

Sir David Gray
08-08-2011, 03:42 PM
'Splitting the OF' is a pile of mince no matter who is being touted to do it.

If any team is capable of finishing above one of the uglies in the league, they are also capable of finishing above the other one.

How t.f. would a team have 'split the OF' last season, when there was only 1 point between them?

Any team targetting splitting the OF should take a real good look at themselves. You either try to win the league or you don't.

Romanov has set the right target for Hearts. :agree:

........of course, they'll fail miserably. :wink:

:agree: I've never really understood why there's such an obsession with "splitting the Old Firm" either, to be honest.

As you say, if you're going to go for 2nd place, why not aim to get another five or six points, or whatever, and try to win the league?

As for Hearts, the reason why they're widely tipped as the team to do it is because they have been, historically, the third best team in the SPL since it began in 98/99, they finished 3rd last season and they made, on paper at least, some good signings in the summer.

Unfortunately for them, the results they've been having over the past five or six months would suggest that they're more likely to be relegated than winning the league. :greengrin

PatHead
08-08-2011, 03:58 PM
:agree: I've never really understood why there's such an obsession with "splitting the Old Firm" either, to be honest.

As you say, if you're going to go for 2nd place, why not aim to get another five or six points, or whatever, and try to win the league?

As for Hearts, the reason why they're widely tipped as the team to do it is because they have been, historically, the third best team in the SPL since it began in 98/99, they finished 3rd last season and they made, on paper at least, some good signings in the summer.

Unfortunately for them, the results they've been having over the past five or six months would suggest that they're more likely to be relegated than winning the league. :greengrin

They have also lost some of their better players as well. Doubt the team is any stronger.

Sir David Gray
08-08-2011, 04:12 PM
They have also lost some of their better players as well. Doubt the team is any stronger.

They've lost Kucharski, Bouzid, Palazuelos and Wallace.

And brought in Hamill, Taouil, Grainger and Sutton.

I would say that Lee Wallace is a better LB than Danny Grainger so they're certainly weaker in that position but other than that, on paper, they should be as strong as they were last year.

Their results don't reflect that though.

truehibernian
08-08-2011, 04:25 PM
They've lost Kucharski, Bouzid, Palazuelos and Wallace.

And brought in Hamill, Taouil, Grainger and Sutton.

I would say that Lee Wallace is a better LB than Danny Grainger so they're certainly weaker in that position but other than that, on paper, they should be as strong as they were last year.

Their results don't reflect that though.

I would also add that Driver's injury is worse than he is willing to reveal, Templeton is being increasingly man-marked and as such isn't as effective as he was when he was an 'unknown quantity', and there is a huge significance in Kello making crucial saves at crucial times in matches these days. Zaliukas is their weak link IMHO, and for me, it's the worst defensively I have seen Hearts in a long time.

Play with pace and width, with your main striker playing off the shoulders of Zaliukas, and you get in behind Hearts easily. Webster, who I rate highly, is their strongest defender and one who holds a defence together. That said, thankfully he has the heart of a pea and the injury record of Dot Cotton.

Next derby, regardless of form, I want to see Hibs go for their jugular straight from kick off, playing with pace and using the whole pitch. If you stand off them then they do have quite a good midfield compliment.........for me though it's their full backs and Zaliukas that are there for the taking. Grainger's terrific at set piece delivery but in the highlights of all their games he has been exploited positionally without truly being found out yet due to poor finishing by the opposition. McGowan has the same affliction young Hanlon had at full back.....he gets sucked in to the middle a bit and leaves acres of space down the flank. Ivan will have a field day :agree:.

ronaldo7
13-08-2011, 07:04 AM

It looks like they're trotting this line out every week now, either that or the ****** has just regurgitated the story with a different stooge.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2011/08/12/david-templeton-hearts-can-win-spl-title-if-we-can-keep-everyone-fit-86908-23339567/

Bobo
13-08-2011, 08:45 AM

As the average Weegie or Yam can't spell to save themselves, I doubt any of them would really notice the difference to be able to argue the merits of who was above whom alphabetically .... Illiterate folk will ken what I mean :wink::greengrin