PDA

View Full Version : Fringe 2011

NYHibby
07-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Didn't see a thread so I figured I'd start one. What have you seen so far? Anything good?

I saw Dave Gorman's show on Friday night. It's excellent and I highly recommend it.

Has anyone seen Milton Jones, either this year or in the past? I have tickets to the Tattoo on Tuesday and I am thinking about seeing his show before it. I'm only familiar with him from Mock the Week and am wondering if a hour long show of his one liners works.

MSK
07-08-2011, 04:42 PM
Didn't see a thread so I figured I'd start one. What have you seen so far? Anything good?

I saw Dave Gorman's show on Friday night. It's excellent and I highly recommend it.

Has anyone seen Milton Jones, either this year or in the past? I have tickets to the Tattoo on Tuesday and I am thinking about seeing his show before it. I'm only familiar with him from Mock the Week and am wondering if a hour long show of his one liners works.Saw the AAA comedy act at the pleasance, three young lads each with a 15 minute comedy stint ..we enjoyed it, although quite raw im sure they will turn out top comedians ..6/10

Tom Stade at the pleasance ...Canadian stand up ...different class, brilliant from start to finish ...:top marks

hibsbollah
07-08-2011, 07:28 PM
Braved the queue for tickets for 30 mins on saturday before giving up. Will try again tomorrow.

CropleyWasGod
07-08-2011, 07:32 PM
John Peel's Shed :agree:

CropleyWasGod
07-08-2011, 07:36 PM
Braved the queue for tickets for 30 mins on saturday before giving up. Will try again tomorrow.

Do it online?

forthhibby
07-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Singing I'm no a Billy, he's a tim, was excellent if a little sad that all of the stuff in it was true

hibsbollah
07-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Do it online? I'm too mean to pay the 90p per show booking fee :-)

Speedy
07-08-2011, 11:06 PM
I went to see(or should I say, I was dragged along to see) Craig Hill. He was actually really funny but it went a bit flat after he kept forgetting his lines, that's the price you pay for seeing a preview show though.

Calvin
07-08-2011, 11:28 PM
I've seen:

Asher Treleaven at the Pleasance as I got some free tickets from a flyerer. It turned out to be a very funny and intelligent show. 7/10.

Benny Boot, also at the Pleasance as he was the half price offer for the day. It was hit and miss, varied from the poor to the hilarious. Probably about 5.8/10.

Henning Wehn at the Caves. Really funny but once you've seen him, you've seen him a thousand times. Worth seeing if you've not come across him before. 7/10.

Peacock and Gamble's Emergency Broadcast at the Pleasance Dome (Potterrow) - absolutely brilliant. I'd advise you to go. 7/10.

Milton Jones at Assembly Rooms. If you like your shows clever, funny and punny, this is as good as you can get. 9/10.

danhibees1875
08-08-2011, 12:21 AM
Pete Firman has been the best I've seen so far :agree:

Joel Dommett, James Acaster Elis James, Tom Rosenthal and Tom Price are also really good.

Sara Pascoe was good.

Colin Hault and Round the world in 80 quid were...different and if you have the taste for it you'll think they're great otherwise you might not :greengrin

Dav1986
08-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Going to see nathan caton tonight, not sure where as the mrs and her pal sorted out tickets and im getting dragged along

Pretty Boy
08-08-2011, 04:56 PM
Going to see Edinburgh Bloody Edinburgh in the Wee Windaes tomorrow.

Rich Hall and Jerry Sadowitz next week then i'm escaping the madness of Edinburgh for 5 days to go to the races in York.:aok:

col02
08-08-2011, 05:38 PM
On Saturday I went to see Nick Helm at the Pleasance who was good, then went to the Caves to see 3 comedians do their set in 15/20 minute segments which was poor overall to be honest and finally went to see Jerry Sadowitz at the Assembly hall and I thought he was decent but no more than that. Hoping to go see Andrew Maxwell with my wife and maybe one or two more shows before the fringe is over.

Jack
08-08-2011, 06:14 PM
I was at the Radio Forth on the Fringe shows the last couple of nights, here’s what I saw.

4 Poofs And A Piano
A bit tired I thought but I can see why folk like them. They fall into the quite common category – yes I was happy to see them but glad I didn’t spend money going to watch a whole show with them. 6/10

Andrew Maxwell
Too many c words and his material was good enough that it was unnecessary. Other than that really good and I would go and pay good money to see him – recommended. 9/10

Axis Of Awesome
I decided when they started I didn’t like them but at the end of the stint yes I did like them, no awesome but no bad – yes I’d pay to see them but only on a 2-4-1 offer. 7/10

Briefs
TBH this is less my scene than anything I can imagine. Someone out there might buy a ticket though – DON’T you'll never forgive yourself and I’ll say I told you so. Fronted by a 7’ transexual in a spandex jumpsuit. These were the absolute pits. The 7’ transexual in a spandex jumpsuit nervously explained how difficult it was for them to come over from Oz, their first trip overseas … shame they went to so much trouble.

As I sat through this crap I wished the UK Border Force had wider powers. 0/10

PS I generally like Australians too.

Carrie Mac
Nervous wee thing, mistook a general fringe audience for one that she might encounter at a music festival, or maybe who had all turned up to see her! I can see why folk like her. Good luck to her and I hope her hangover, she let us know she was away out to get drunk, wasn’t too bad. 6/10

Christine And Neil Hamilton
I don’t like them at all. Having said that after last nights performance I would have been on my way to their show this lunchtime if I hadn't been working. 6/10

Craig Hill
What can you say about this accomplished performer? I was just glad I wasn’t sitting down the front for as sure as it rains during the Festival he would have fallen for me! Well worth the full price of a ticket. 9/10

Flawless
The dance crowd that won, or lost, Britain Hasn’t Got Talent a couple of years ago. Glad I saw them last year at the same event, it was the quite common category last year – yes I was happy to see them but glad I didn’t spend money going to watch a whole show with them. I would have gone for a pee this year if I’d needed, if only I had needed. 3/10

Fork (sp)
Finland is famous for Mixu and various other things. While the country’s recognition factor is unlikely to be increased by Fork they were a fine wee (almost) ‘acapella’ quartet – a decent 2-4-1 offer at tea time. 6/10

Free Run
You know these folk that run all over buildings and stuff. Well these guys do that for fun and converted it into a show. It’s the quite common category – yes I was happy to see them but glad I didn’t spend money going to watch a whole show with them. I’ll wait for the channel 5 documentary or YouTube clips. 5/10

Frisky and Mannish
A posh duet that rip the pish out of pop tunes. Good entertainment for 15-20 minutes, I might even last 35 minutes before it became irritating. The thought of longer has my ears panicking. 6/10

Idiots of Ants
4 guys doing comedy routines. Recommended if the sample we got was as good as the rest. Well worth the full price of a ticket. 8/10

Josie Long
A not very funny comedienne and I think most folk agreed with me. One or two laughs from one or two folk. 1 + 2 = 3/10

Mark Dolan
I hope I have the right guy for this description – about 6’4” went to university in Edinburgh (so he’s one of us, its like being back home from somewhere down south and you ought to be grateful I’m here). His material was ***** and his delivery was *****. It included such gems as 30% of women fake orgasms – I think that was supposed to be a funny bit. 2/10
PS. Mark, if you read this, 100% of men don’t care! That would have got you your biggest laugh of the night :greengrin

Michael Winslow
A polished and accomplished performer who entertains and almost immediately has a rapport with the audience. I don’t like all that vox pop, sound like a jet plane stuff but I think I could easily sit through a whole show with him. 7/10

Patrick Monaghan
Fantastic. Very, very funny. Well worth the full price of a ticket. 9/10

Paul Daniels mostly without Debbie McGee
I didn’t think I’d like this – an awful lot. At the end I was sold, not a ticket to see his show, but you know if I was looking for a show to see this one might just sneak on to my list now. 7/10

Ruby Wax
You might as well shut the show now Ruby, there ain't anyone with any sense whatsoever will sit through two women discussing their depression – I don’t care how famous you think you are, or once again, how grateful we are you came to Edinburgh. -10/10 (that’s minus 10)

Terry Alderton
Don’t think I’d heard of this guy before but I’m sure I will in future. Well worth the dosh. 10/10

The Peirces
The girls (2 thereof) were hot but the music not really for me – think what you'd expect from Birmingham, Alabama and if you don’t know what that is its probably not for you either – you need an acquired ear. 4/10 (not my cup to tea)

Zoe Lyons
Good to see a good female comedienne with good material. Yes I’d go a spend money to get tickets for her show. 7/10

There was a wee man doing silhouettes, cant remember his name and into the quite common category he goes. 4/10

Soweto harmony singing group. I’m sure there's better still in Soweto; I hope there's better still in Soweto. 3/10

Young guy from Edinburgh at the end on Saturday singing with the guitar cant remember his name but he was good enough for a 6/10.

These was also some voxbox guy who did something at the Beijing Olympics or something, very good at what he did but didn’t, IMO, have that x factor with the audience that the better performers do. He clearly thought respect was a foregone conclusion and it would be wrong of us not to throw ourselves at his larynx. If you're really into this stuff high marks, me 4/10.

With many thanks to Radio Forth, overall a great show 9/10 :aok:

Since90+2
08-08-2011, 07:12 PM
I seen Neil Delamere 2 years ago and he was absolutely superb. He skipped last years festival but is back this year and would highly recommend :agree:

hibsbollah
09-08-2011, 01:34 PM
http://www.fringereview.co.uk/fringeReview/4102.html

Just back from seeing The Overcoat, at the Pleasance@Potterow. Really excellent scottish production of the Gogol play. Featuring great performances, achingly funny 70s and 80s retro references and a guest appearance by a banker who had to be modelled on Vladimir Romanov.

easty
09-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Im off to see Dave Gorman and then Rich Hall tonight. Should be a good night.

Dashing Bob S
09-08-2011, 04:42 PM
Utterly marvelous performance by Julian Sands doing a Pinter retrospective at the Pleasance and directed by John Malkovich. Best thing anyone will ever see at the Festival, bar the magnificent display by the CCS and Sunderland mobs on Saturday. As Joyce McMillan in the Scotsman said: "it's very unusual these days to see such an arresting display."

Newhaven
09-08-2011, 06:47 PM
I went to see(or should I say, I was dragged along to see) Craig Hill. He was actually really funny but it went a bit flat after he kept forgetting his lines, that's the price you pay for seeing a preview show though.

Did you see my wife on stage? :wink:

forthhibby
09-08-2011, 07:29 PM
Mitch Benn- excellent, very funny 8/10

Jus like that - not for me, maybe suit folk who'd grown up with tommy cooper 5/10

Wembley67
09-08-2011, 07:59 PM
Neil Delamere @ Pleasance Courtyard, very unexpected titty laughing - much recommended, £11.

hibsbollah
09-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Arthur Smiths Chat Show Piss Up.

Love the guy, but it was a bit disappointing. Lots of alcohol anecdotes and a few grumpy old men lines. Fish was highly amusing though, id hoped to talk Hibs with him at the bar but unfortunately he was indisposed with Art Malik's beautiful daughter.

Scooter
10-08-2011, 12:22 PM
should have seen neil delamere on monday but didnt make it but i will be going. seen Michael Winslow last night and it was great he done a sketch with star wars and to say i was blown away is an understatement

easty
10-08-2011, 12:33 PM
Saw Dave Gorman last night and he was brilliant. Would thoroughly reccomend his show.

Rich Hall on the other hand. Pretty crap.

Future17
10-08-2011, 01:05 PM
Saw Milton Jones at the Queen's Hall recently. 10/10

There's no doubt that he's not some people's cup of tea but the intelligence, humour and wordplay is right up my street (and other cliches you can think of).

The temptation to quote all his lines is overwhelming, but in case it's the same show I'll just stick with:

"Wolfgang Mozart, said his friend.....shortly before they were eaten by a gang of wolves."

Gus
10-08-2011, 05:48 PM
I was blown away is an understatement

which show did this happen? I want to go :greengrin

Speedy
10-08-2011, 11:37 PM
Did you see my wife on stage? :wink:

Possibly, it was thursday night I was there

Calvin
11-08-2011, 01:04 AM
Saw Milton Jones at the Queen's Hall recently. 10/10

There's no doubt that he's not some people's cup of tea but the intelligence, humour and wordplay is right up my street (and other cliches you can think of).

The temptation to quote all his lines is overwhelming, but in case it's the same show I'll just stick with:

"Wolfgang Mozart, said his friend.....shortly before they were eaten by a gang of wolves."

Shampoo, Shamrocks, Champagne was my favourite joke. Just phenomenal all the way through though.

Wembley67
12-08-2011, 01:07 AM
Jason Byrne @ EICC, phenomanal....loved it!

Hibee-Bongo
12-08-2011, 08:17 PM
Milton Jones was on at Comedy in the Dark last night. Thought he was terrible, don't understand how people think his material is clever at all. The type of punchlines you get in a Penguin bar.

Sammy J was pretty good though, looking forward to Adam Buxton and Dave Gorman next week.

matty_f
12-08-2011, 10:33 PM
Would recommend this one if anyone's looking for some good music on Monday:

http://www.edfringe.com/whats-on/music/Tom-Fairnie (http://www.edfringe.com/whats-on/music/Tom-Fairnie)

Speedy
12-08-2011, 11:07 PM
I was at '****gers' last night. It was a mixture of rubbish, not bad and pretty funny. It was free though so i'd still recommend it if you're on a night out and fancy something

Tyler Durden
13-08-2011, 09:35 AM
Went to see Carl Donnelly last night at Udderbelly. He was entertaining, but not brilliant, not as good as last year. Has an annoying habit of saying something and then correcting himself saying "why did I say that? I'm not a 60 year old woman/15 year old boy/etc/etc".

Has anyone seen Jason John Whitehead before - worth seeing?

bingo70
13-08-2011, 09:45 AM
Never been to a comedy show before but going to see Sarah Millican on wednesday, i'm normally dead against going to see anything in the festival due to the amount of annoying twats that try far too hard to be funny.

Said i'd try and open my mind a bit more this year so would go to a show and apparently she was funny last year (or the year before), part of me is looking forward to it but part of me is dreading it cos i normally can't stand female comedians on the tele, i've been told she's not like this but i'm hoping i'm not in for a night hearing about how men are *******s, how women love cakes and how hard they've got it.

Suppose it'll get me out the house if nothing else.

Removed
13-08-2011, 09:49 AM
Never been to a comedy show before but going to see Sarah Millican on wednesday, i'm normally dead against going to see anything in the festival due to the amount of annoying twats that try far too hard to be funny.Said i'd try and open my mind a bit more this year so would go to a show and apparently she was funny last year (or the year before), part of me is looking forward to it but part of me is dreading it cos i normally can't stand female comedians on the tele, i've been told she's not like this but i'm hoping i'm not in for a night hearing about how men are *******s, how women love cakes and how hard they've got it.Suppose it'll get me out the house if nothing else. Can't wait to hear your report of this :greengrin I'd rather cut off a testicle with a blunt saw than listen to Sarah Millican

bingo70
13-08-2011, 09:54 AM
Can't wait to hear your report of this :greengrin I'd rather cut off a testicle with a blunt saw than listen to Sarah Millican

Aye, it's quite difficuilt to go in with an open mind but expecting the worst so i'm not dissapointed :greengrin

Deliberately not looking any of her stuff up on youtube cos if i know i don't like her before i start i'll just be a miserable ******* and not give her a chance.

How long do these things go on for and will it just be her or do you get people on before her?

Removed
13-08-2011, 09:59 AM
Aye, it's quite difficuilt to go in with an open mind but expecting the worst so i'm not dissapointed :greengrin Deliberately not looking any of her stuff up on youtube cos if i know i don't like her before i start i'll just be a miserable ******* and not give her a chance.How long do these things go on for and will it just be her or do you get people on before her? I'd say about an hour and there's never been a 'support' at any comedy show I've been at. Enjoy :greengrin

matty_f
13-08-2011, 11:07 AM
Never been to a comedy show before but going to see Sarah Millican on wednesday, i'm normally dead against going to see anything in the festival due to the amount of annoying twats that try far too hard to be funny.

Said i'd try and open my mind a bit more this year so would go to a show and apparently she was funny last year (or the year before), part of me is looking forward to it but part of me is dreading it cos i normally can't stand female comedians on the tele, i've been told she's not like this but i'm hoping i'm not in for a night hearing about how men are *******s, how women love cakes and how hard they've got it.

I think she's one of the few female comedians that can be pretty funny. She will talk about cakes, like, but she is good with it. Infinitely better than the likes of Jo Brand. I wouldn't mind going to see Sarah Millican, tbh.

If you go in expecting to hate it, you will though - same with anything, really. I'm glad you're taking an open mind, you'll enjoy it.:agree:

WeAreHibs
13-08-2011, 11:35 AM
I think she's one of the few female comedians that can be pretty funny. She will talk about cakes, like, but she is good with it. Infinitely better than the likes of Jo Brand. I wouldn't mind going to see Sarah Millican, tbh.

If you go in expecting to hate it, you will though - same with anything, really. I'm glad you're taking an open mind, you'll enjoy it.:agree:

She's the most annoying hideous female. Good luck to you.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

Speedy
13-08-2011, 11:47 AM

You could be disappointed because she talks about cakes a fair bit. She's pretty funny though.
One thing im looking forward to seeing is piff the magic dragon, he's a magician/comedian - look him up on youtube

ArabHibee
13-08-2011, 07:53 PM
She's the most annoying hideous female. Good luck to you. :agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:: agree::agree::agree:

stevensons-fan
13-08-2011, 10:43 PM
I saw Damian Clark last night and thought he was really good, worth seeing! :agree:

Jack
14-08-2011, 09:21 AM
Never been to a comedy show before but going to see Sarah Millican on wednesday, i'm normally dead against going to see anything in the festival due to the amount of annoying twats that try far too hard to be funny.Said i'd try and open my mind a bit more this year so would go to a show and apparently she was funny last year (or the year before), part of me is looking forward to it but part of me is dreading it cos i normally can't stand female comedians on the tele, i've been told she's not like this but i'm hoping i'm not in for a night hearing about how men are *******s, how women love cakes and how hard they've got it.Suppose it'll get me out the house if nothing else. I wonder how our new luvvy got on =-O

Phil D. Rolls
14-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Went to see Ken Dee at the Art College last night. A really good drag act (so my Mrs told me). Curse of the Fringe though - guys that could pack out halls elsewhere reduced to playing to 20 people in a 100 seat auditorium - must take some bottle to get through the show,

Gag of the night - "why do pigeons fly upside down in Airdrie? Because there's nothing worth sh*tting on".

hibsbollah
14-08-2011, 12:08 PM
I liked Sarah Millican, very funny. I think some blokes just have a mental block with female comedians...give her a chance :-)

AllyF
14-08-2011, 01:04 PM
I urge you to go and see Adam Riches, Hannibal Buress and James Acaster. So, so good.

Twiglet
14-08-2011, 11:01 PM
I saw Dave Gorman the other week there and would recommend him too.

Saw Pokermen last night too. It's 4 comedians sitting around a table playing poker drinking beer and talking. It's hosted by a guy called Andre Vincent, the other 3 comedians change each night. They've got holes in the table cover with cameras underneath so the audience can see the cards. They play until someone's won the pot (£240, they each start with £60 worth of chips)
Last night it was Andrew Maxwell, Thom Tucker and another guy whose name I can't remember.
It was really funny, a lot due to the fact that Andrew Maxwell doesn't know how to play poker. The comedians get a chance to basically show a little bit about who they are, though Andrew Maxwell dominated last night. One of the funniest moments was this guy in the audience suddenly said after about 40 mins "does anyone actually find this funny?! Are you going to tell any jokes?!". They all turned round and told him to leave if he wasn't liking it, so he did storm out...in his tight red jeans and canvas shoes. Got ripped so much. Andrew Maxwell put on this brilliant Edinburgh accent and started going on about how he needed to leave to get his taxi back to Corstorphine.

It's the kind of thing you could go back to cos it'll be different with different comedians.

It's on a midnight and George Square Thurs-Sun.

I don't really know how to play poker (and neither do my friends who went too), but we still enjoyed it.

danhibees1875
15-08-2011, 02:22 AM
I'd hugely recommend James Acaster(pleasance) and Joel Dommett(dome) :agree:

Late Night Gimp Fight was also brilliant :thumbsup: Don't get put off by the name, its a brilliant sketch show :agree:

CropleyWasGod
19-08-2011, 10:30 PM
Mark Thomas at the Bongo. Brilliant as ever.

And Silent at Dancebase. Don't be put off by the venue... it's not a dance show.

easty
28-08-2011, 09:58 AM
Went to see James Acaster last night, after seeing a couple of folk on here big him up. Glad I did, he was really good! So thanks for the recomendation danhibees1875 and AllyF.

AllyF
29-08-2011, 12:30 AM
Went to see James Acaster last night, after seeing a couple of folk on here big him up. Glad I did, he was really good! So thanks for the recomendation danhibees1875 and AllyF.

Glad to hear it! :aok:

I was lucky enough to see Adam Buxton's BUG tonight and I have never laughed so consistently for 90 minutes in my life. He is, in my opinion, the most naturally funny man in the country.

Hibee-Bongo
29-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Glad to hear it! :aok:

I was lucky enough to see Adam Buxton's BUG tonight and I have never laughed so consistently for 90 minutes in my life. He is, in my opinion, the most naturally funny man in the country.

Nice one im going tonight.