PDA

View Full Version : Can't Understand it - Man U v Man C

CentreLine
07-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Don't they know that a big club would have wanted to have played todays match in Manchester. Just can't understand why their fans would want to travel all the way to their national stadium in London with added cost and inconvenience.

greenlex
07-08-2011, 01:32 PM
Don't they know that a big club would have wanted to have played todays match in Manchester. Just can't understand why their fans would want to travel all the way to their national stadium in London with added cost and inconvenience.
Its a strange one. I thought all big clubs wanted to switch big matches to their home town. :confused:

PC Stamp
07-08-2011, 01:33 PM
London is Manchester United's home town! :wink:

Frazerbob
07-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Judging by the gaps in the City end, they didn't want to travel. Obviously the Cockney Reds have filled their end.

TamHibs
07-08-2011, 01:51 PM

Just like when Hibs played Hearts you mean? Oh wait I'm pretty sure that match was played at the national stadium aswel. Where would they have played it in Manchester to make it a neutral venue?

CallumLaidlaw
07-08-2011, 01:54 PM
Just like when Hibs played Hearts you mean? Oh wait I'm pretty sure that match was played at the national stadium aswel. Where would they have played it in Manchester to make it a neutral venue?

Stockport counties ground?

TamHibs
07-08-2011, 01:58 PM
Stockport counties ground?

I'm assuming that's sarcasm but I guess it would probably see City sell their allocation out..... ;)

HH81
07-08-2011, 02:08 PM
To be fair to city they won the real game last season, why would you want to travel all way to London for a pre season game. It's easier for the other team as quite a lot will have turned up from plymouth, exeter and dover.

Removed
07-08-2011, 02:12 PM
To be fair to city they won the real game last season, why would you want to travel all way to London for a pre season game. It's easier for the other team as quite a lot will have turned up from plymouth, exeter and dover. Bit too far from Falkirk though :agree:

Judas Iscariot
07-08-2011, 02:14 PM
London is Manchester United's home town! :wink:

:top marks:thumbsup:

HH81
07-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Bit too far from Falkirk though :agree:

Indeed. I'm just glad its on sky so our resident glory hunters on here can see it. Hope your enjoying it guys.

nonshinyfinish
07-08-2011, 02:32 PM
Bit too far from Falkirk though :agree:

:hilarious

TamHibs
07-08-2011, 02:41 PM
So because someone dares to like another team apart from Hibs they are a glory hunter? :confused:

I'm no glory hunter but I do like a lot of other teams Man Utd, West Ham, Cardiff, Leeds.....

Dirkster23
07-08-2011, 02:47 PM
Indeed. I'm just glad its on sky so our resident glory hunters on here can see it. Hope your enjoying it guys.

FFS, no another year of listening to the same ***** on here :rolleyes:

HH81
07-08-2011, 02:50 PM
So because someone dares to like another team apart from Hibs they are a glory hunter? :confused:

I'm no glory hunter but I do like a lot of other teams Man Utd, West Ham, Cardiff, Leeds.....

No its fine to support who you want but if your going to support the best team in England with no connections to them then for me your a glory hunter. I like the ones that say they have been to manure games to justify it. Ha ha great.

TamHibs
07-08-2011, 02:54 PM
There is a massive difference between liking a team & actually supporting them. I like Man Utd but I support Hibs which i am sure is the same for the majority of the 'glory hunters' on here

HH81
07-08-2011, 02:54 PM
FFS, no another year of listening to the same ***** on here :rolleyes:

How do you listern to posts?

Hibercelona
07-08-2011, 02:55 PM
Couldn't care less. Despise both clubs. The more inconvenience the better. :devil:

Dirkster23
07-08-2011, 02:56 PM
How do you listern to posts?

I don't know how to listern to anything :wink:

Andy74
07-08-2011, 03:11 PM
No its fine to support who you want but if your going to support the best team in England with no connections to them then for me your a glory hunter. I like the ones that say they have been to manure games to justify it. Ha ha great.

When you have no connections to an foreign teams it's quite obvious to like ones who are decent or have players you like.

If they win stuff it's not really a big deal either so hardly glory hunting.

You don't have talk some nonsense on this subject. People generally care little either way about these teams but do just prefer them to others.

bigstu
07-08-2011, 03:11 PM
There is a massive difference between liking a team & actually supporting them. I like Man Utd but I support Hibs which i am sure is the same for the majority of the 'glory hunters' on here

agreed, well said. And surely we're allowed some glory in our lives, hibs & scotland haven't brought us much recently!

nonshinyfinish
07-08-2011, 03:16 PM
If they win stuff it's not really a big deal either so hardly glory hunting.

I'm sure that's normally the case, but there are people on here who make a very big deal about various English clubs winning, and it's rather tiresome.

yekimevol
07-08-2011, 03:33 PM

cause they needed the game paid at wembley to pay for the stadium, same as the semi

hibee
07-08-2011, 03:41 PM

Not everyone on here has just started supported them recently though, I started supporting them as a kid in the late 70's, early 80's so if what you are saying is true then I would have been a Liverpool fan, don't think it's fair to call any Hibs fan a glory hunter anyway, surely we'd all be old firm fans if that was the case.

Wembley67
07-08-2011, 03:46 PM
If anyone missed the game the highlights are bizarrely on STV @ 6pm tonight.

greenlex
07-08-2011, 03:50 PM
If anyone missed the game the highlights are bizarrely on STV @ 6pm tonight.
Nothing strange about it. Its for all the Man U fans in Falkirk. :greengrin

TheEastTerrace
07-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Money, money, money. FA have huge debt on the stadium to pay-off so as many games there as possible as far as they are concerned.

TonyMontana1875
07-08-2011, 05:08 PM

My 'other' team is Hartlepool :aok: my great grandfather saved them from going to the wall years ago.

And we have a great big striker in now, Nish, anybody know much about him?:hmmm::greengrin

Hibernia Na Eir
07-08-2011, 07:07 PM
happy wi result today. Especially that late late winner :greengrin

Ray_
07-08-2011, 09:21 PM

I've liked Man Utd since I saw first saw George Best. When I lived in Manchester they were relegated. It was over twenty years before I saw my fav English team win the title. With regard to your glory hunter bit, I don't get that one bit, how can anybody who supports Hibs be called a glory hunter? It doesn't matter what English team they prefer.

I also have a soft for Liverpool since being treated so well by the fans in 1970, but I particularly liked them in the Dalglish years, partly because of the Scots in the team, partly because of the success, because it meant that they played in the big games, but mostly because I found them the most entertaining team of that time. I never felt a glory hunter due to liking them or Man U, because when its all said & done, Hibs was the team that really mattered. I take it you don't like Barcelona, for the fear of being branded a glory hunter?

Ray_
07-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Money, money, money. FA have huge debt on the stadium to pay-off so as many games there as possible as far as they are concerned.

You certainly have it right there, I was going to the emergency planning meetings before Wembley was opened & the company responsible for the stadium were [still are] trying to get every event going. The refurbishment of the transport system, for the Olympic's, put a damper on that as a fair view events couldn't be scheduled with weekends being used for upgrades.

TheMentalHibees
07-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Can the nay-sayers please draw up the criteria for what constitutes a real fan and a glory hunter? I'm a United fan and want to know which category I fall into, as I'm a tad confused the now.

matty_f
07-08-2011, 11:01 PM
I used to like Liverpool as a young boy, they were my English team growing up probably up until the point where Souness took over, when I pretty much lost interest in them. Now I like a number of English clubs, still have a soft spot for Liverpool, love watching Arsenal, like Man U, and I quite like Moyes at Everton and Coyle at Bolton, so look out for their scores too.

Today I wanted Utd to win, mostly because I am not a fan of clubs bankrolling their way to quick success. I wouldn't say I supported any English team. I invest enough time in Hibs to have any more for any other clubs, tbh.

lapsedhibee
08-08-2011, 06:42 AM
I like a number of English clubs, still have a soft spot for Liverpool, love watching Arsenal, like Man U, and I quite like Moyes at Everton and Coyle at Bolton, so look out for their scores too.

That's more EPL-hooring than gloryhunting, and that's an entirely different category of fan to try to appear better than.

Tricla
08-08-2011, 07:03 AM
I used to like Liverpool as a young boy, they were my English team growing up probably up until the point where Souness took over, when I pretty much lost interest in them. Now I like a number of English clubs, still have a soft spot for Liverpool, love watching Arsenal, like Man U, and I quite like Moyes at Everton and Coyle at Bolton, so look out for their scores too.

Today I wanted Utd to win, mostly because I am not a fan of clubs bankrolling their way to quick success. I wouldn't say I supported any English team. I invest enough time in Hibs to have any more for any other clubs, tbh.

Slags, the pair o' ye!

TamHibs
08-08-2011, 08:19 AM
Slags, the pair o' ye!

:greengrin :na na:

matty_f
08-08-2011, 09:57 AM
That's more EPL-hooring than gloryhunting, and that's an entirely different category of fan to try to appear better than.

No qualms about the suggestion of being a hoor, but I'd never profess to being a fan of any of those clubs.:greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
08-08-2011, 11:14 AM

Could be wrong but I think Man U have spent more than Man City this summer?

JoeT_WasTheBest
08-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Could be wrong but I think Man U have spent more than Man City this summer?

You are:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1390662/Premier-League-transfers--2011-summer.html

Speedway
08-08-2011, 12:26 PM

Fan wise, playing it anywhere in Manchester would have been a neutral venue.

Pretty Boy
08-08-2011, 01:04 PM
I'm sure i'm not the only one who finds all the bitching about glory hunters and constant searching for angles to have a pop at Man Utd and Falkirkhibee far more tireswome and tedious than the 1 or 2 postes on here who 'support' Man Utd.

All the usual rubbish is spouted about all Man Utd supporters coming from London, a claim by Man City fans thats every bit as pathetic as Hearts claiming to be the 'Edinburgh club'.

Football is a global business these days and the historically 'big' clubs like your Man Utds, Liverpools, AC Milans, Barcelonas etc are going to have global fanbases. I like Manchester United, i enjoyed watching a team that was built through the youth policy win titles and trophies in the 1990s, i like the fact they have a Scottish manager. Of course there is an element of glory hunting, so what? I SUPPORT Hibs and there is certainly no gloryhunting involved in that. I've only been to Old Trafford once, a 1-0 defeat to Middlesborough incidentally, and if Man Utd lose it doesnt bother me for more than a minutes, a Hibs defeat can ruin my weekend.

What really gets me though is this belief that some people have that there is something noble about supporting teams that don't win a lot. If you have no family ties or whatever then i believe you should support your local team but at the same time if someone is willing to spend hundreds or thousands of pounds a year following any team, successful or otherwise, then it's their choice and their right to do so.

matty_f
08-08-2011, 01:12 PM
You are:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1390662/Premier-League-transfers--2011-summer.html

Quoted for prosperity. :aok:

nonshinyfinish
08-08-2011, 01:53 PM

If I quote it again will I become prosperous too? Is this how pyramid schemes start? :confused:

JoeT_WasTheBest
08-08-2011, 01:54 PM

:greengrin

Dashing Bob S
08-08-2011, 03:06 PM
In response to the OP's original question, the reason is to help out London, which doesn't get enought big sporting and cultural events. It's a redistribution of wealth thing, the moneybags Mancs can go down there and put some dosh into the economy. (Yes, it is also easier to to get to from Surrey.)

leeds_hibby
08-08-2011, 03:34 PM

I have no connections to edinburgh, im not even scottish but from a very young age of 8 my first football shirt was a hibs shirt and from then i have had a great love for everything hibs now 30 odd years later i still love to watch hibs.

Granted i only make 2 or 3 games a season but thats down to work and the distance, am i a glory hunter?! surely not as i could of picked a better team than hibs!

Cameron1875
08-08-2011, 03:59 PM

If you hate people who support man utd or english teams then why bother opening the thread and commenting on it? Just let people get on with giving updates rather than having to start the same petty argument every single time.

Bayern Bru
08-08-2011, 04:22 PM
I loathe Manchester Utd and all they stand for. I also loathe Man City, and the fact that they reckon buying the world's best footballers and creating a Harlem Globetrotters-style football team is the way forward.

However, how many of the people lambasting people for supporting either of the Manchester teams support Real Madrid or Barcelona, or Bayern Munich or Juventus for no particular reason?

Danderhall Hibs
08-08-2011, 04:57 PM
You are:

It's doesn't happen often! Still when Schneider signs for Man U they'll have spent much more.

greenlex
08-08-2011, 05:14 PM
I loathe Manchester Utd and all they stand for. I also loathe Man City, and the fact that they reckon buying the world's best footballers and creating a Harlem Globetrotters-style football team is the way forward.

However, how many of the people lambasting people for supporting either of the Manchester teams support Real Madrid or Barcelona, or Bayern Munich or Juventus for no particular reason?
What do they stand for? :confused:

Bayern Bru
08-08-2011, 07:08 PM
What do they stand for? :confused:

Someone stole all the seats? :wink:

Poor phrasing - meant more that at times they seem to be more a commercial vehicle for the "Manchester United" brand, rather than about the football. If that makes sense?

Wotherspiniesta
08-08-2011, 07:13 PM
If you hate people who support man utd or english teams then why bother opening the thread and commenting on it? Just let people get on with giving updates rather than having to start the same petty argument every single time.

I think you know the real reason to that.................:fishin:

joe breezy
08-08-2011, 07:55 PM
My soft spots for teams outside of Scotland tends to be social, I don't claim to be a diehard Cardiff or Man U fan but do go to some of their games cos of my mates who look after me when I go to their games. As a kid I liked Liverpool cos of my uncle who supported them and also their Scottish players, still have a soft spot for Newcastle due to my Geordie mates.

Hate Chelsea, Millwall (although have mates that support both), Leeds & Sunderland & Swansea and a fair few others but wouldn't give a Hibs fan a hard time here for having sympathies with any of these teams - although liking Chelsea is a bit odd for a Hibs fan.

By the way don't grudge man city a bit of success if they get it, it's the same fans that stuck by the club through thick and thin when they were in the lower leagues

Priority 1 has to be Hibs though (even though I live down south)

ArabHibee
08-08-2011, 08:09 PM
I have no connections to edinburgh, im not even scottish but from a very young age of 8 my first football shirt was a hibs shirt and from then i have had a great love for everything hibs now 30 odd years later i still love to watch hibs.Granted i only make 2 or 3 games a season but thats down to work and the distance, am i a glory hunter?! surely not as i could of picked a better team than hibs! You're not a glory hunter, you're a masochist!:greengrin

HH81
08-08-2011, 08:19 PM
I have no connections to edinburgh, im not even scottish but from a very young age of 8 my first football shirt was a hibs shirt and from then i have had a great love for everything hibs now 30 odd years later i still love to watch hibs.

Granted i only make 2 or 3 games a season but thats down to work and the distance, am i a glory hunter?! surely not as i could of picked a better team than hibs!
What do you think? I hardly think anyone who supports Hibs is a glory fan. If you was from Leeds and supported rangers or Celtic then yes. How do you get up to games?

Removed
08-08-2011, 08:26 PM
My soft spots for teams outside of Scotland tends to be social, I don't claim to be a diehard Cardiff or Man U fan but do go to some of their games cos of my mates who look after me when I go to their games. As a kid I liked Liverpool cos of my uncle who supported them and also their Scottish players, still have a soft spot for Newcastle due to my Geordie mates.Hate Chelsea, Millwall (although have mates that support both), Leeds & Sunderland & Swansea and a fair few others but wouldn't give a Hibs fan a hard time here for having sympathies with any of these teams - although liking Chelsea is a bit odd for a Hibs fan.Priority 1 has to be Hibs though (even though I live down south)When I was a kid had a man u strip but I only wore it a couple of times. It was just a t shirt to me. Meant nothing. When I first started work I had a free train pass and went a few times to Anfield with my mates. It was just a great experience to stand in the kop.When I worked in London I used to go to watch Chelsea but only because I shared a flat with a girl who worked in the stamford bridge arms and I got free tickets :wink: :greengrin They did have a fair number of Scots in their team as well.I've been to games at spurs, qpr, arsenal, southampton, fulham, watford, bournemouth, newcastle, sunderland, bolton, villa and wolves. It was purely for the experience and I came away from all those grounds with as much allegiance to either of the teams as when I went in.....zero. I feel nothing for them or any other English team and I just don't get the what's your English team thing :confused:Each to their own though and I'm not knocking anyone who does but I'm only a Hibby and no other team could come anywhere close to a fraction of my feeling for the Hibs which is just the way I want it to stay.

HibbyAndy
08-08-2011, 08:30 PM
When I was a kid had a man u strip but I only wore it a couple of times. It was just a t shirt to me. Meant nothing. When I first started work I had a free train pass and went a few times to Anfield with my mates. It was just a great experience to stand in the kop.When I worked in London I used to go to watch Chelsea but only because I shared a flat with a girl who worked in the stamford bridge arms and I got free tickets :wink: :greengrin They did have a fair number of Scots in their team as well.I've been to games at spurs, qpr, arsenal, southampton, fulham, watford, bournemouth, newcastle, sunderland, bolton, villa and wolves. It was purely for the experience and I came away from all those grounds with as much allegiance to either of the teams as when I went in.....zero. I feel nothing for them or any other English team and I just don't get the what's your English team thing :confused:Each to their own though and I'm not knocking anyone who does but I'm only a Hibby and no other team could come anywhere close to a fraction of my feeling for the Hibs which is just the way I want it to stay.

Spot on Billy :agree:

Ive been to the Emirates a few times to see Arsenal and have been quite vocal on here about the style and panache in which they play but Hibernian are and will only ever be the team i have so much passion for.

Hibs till i die!.

leeds_hibby
08-08-2011, 08:48 PM
What do you think? I hardly think anyone who supports Hibs is a glory fan. If you was from Leeds and supported rangers or Celtic then yes. How do you get up to games? Always go up by car, but its a killer doing it in the day.
Thinking about trying the train next time.

BurghHibby
08-08-2011, 08:49 PM
The game is at Wembley as it's a charity game with all the proceeds going to specifc charities where I believe the participating teams don't even claim expenses, they pay their own way.
All revenues go to the charities, so when you pay £10 for a grotty hot dog it doesn't seem too bad.
Lessons could be learned up here, then again could you really see the SFA or the ugly sisters doing something that would benefit others? and do we really need another old firm game at the start of the season?
Nah forget it, daft idea.

LancashireHibby
08-08-2011, 09:10 PM
Caught some of the Radio Manchester phone in on the way back from a rugby game yesterday and I found that I just couldn't relate to either side to be quite honest. I've never liked United purely as it goes with the territory of being a Bolton fan (although I do have a lot of time for FC United) and I do have a certain amount of family ties towards City, but it just sounded like fantasy football to me when they were debating the game on the radio. Where's the fun in spending a fortune to just chuck players in to the reserves? City fans going mad because Mancini is after Aaron Lennon "but will probably play him on the left anyway as he's clueless". It's only taken a season and they've become as much a set of spoilted brats as the red lot. The whole 'Manchester is blue' thing is complete and utter rubbish as well by the way.

HH81
08-08-2011, 09:13 PM
Always go up by car, but its a killer doing it in the day.
Thinking about trying the train next time.

I have done train a lot but the east coast line is a killer, so expensive. I'm driving up in November, not looking forward to it. If you ever go up and have any space in your car let me know. I'll do likewise. :greengrin

HH81
08-08-2011, 09:18 PM
Caught some of the Radio Manchester phone in on the way back from a rugby game yesterday and I found that I just couldn't relate to either side to be quite honest. I've never liked United purely as it goes with the territory of being a Bolton fan (although I do have a lot of time for FC United) and I do have a certain amount of family ties towards City, but it just sounded like fantasy football to me when they were debating the game on the radio. Where's the fun in spending a fortune to just chuck players in to the reserves? City fans going mad because Mancini is after Aaron Lennon "but will probably play him on the left anyway as he's clueless". It's only taken a season and they've become as much a set of spoilted brats as the red lot. The whole 'Manchester is blue' thing is complete and utter rubbish as well by the way.

Hey Matt, nice to meet you in Salford the other night. Cougars.

Question though, why FC United? Got to admit the only game I have enjoyed since FC Halifax reformed was FC United away. class and felt like a real game.

Oh and for the record I used to love going to the old leigh ground, they did the best mushy peas in the whole of sport. Went so well with your chips :greengrin

LancashireHibby
08-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Hey Matt, nice to meet you in Salford the other night. Cougars.

Question though, why FC United? Got to admit the only game I have enjoyed since FC Halifax reformed was FC United away. class and felt like a real game.

Oh and for the record I used to love going to the old leigh ground, they did the best mushy peas in the whole of sport. Went so well with your chips :greengrin

Got a few mates who have been involved with FCUM since the start and have worked their nads off to get the club off the ground and to continue to progress, while the work they do in the communities around Manchester is absolutely staggering and something that MUFC and MCFC should be learning a lot from rather than swanning off to try and 'exploit the markets' in America and the Far East.

Swinton are still on for the title, no problems there (bloody good job as otherwise Leigh's nearest game would be Halifax!). Took over 900 to Widnes yesterday, was absolutely bouncing. :aok:

HH81
08-08-2011, 09:35 PM
Got a few mates who have been involved with FCUM since the start and have worked their nads off to get the club off the ground and to continue to progress, while the work they do in the communities around Manchester is absolutely staggering and something that MUFC and MCFC should be learning a lot from rather than swanning off to try and 'exploit the markets' in America and the Far East.

Swinton are still on for the title, no problems there (bloody good job as otherwise Leigh's nearest game would be Halifax!). Took over 900 to Widnes yesterday, was absolutely bouncing. :aok:

Yes swinton have won the league but seen Cougars beat them twice now. I can't believe sky missed my kick after the cougars 2nd try, it hit some poor bloke on the head by that shed. :greengrin

I would have like to see Halifax follow FC example to an extent. The club had one chance to get it right after folding with debt. In the 3 years since they have not made a profit plauing in unibond leagues and I have lost faith. They had a massive chance of going back to the conference with money in the bank but they have over paid for everything, such a shame. This is the first season they have got kits on sale before November and have played in front of massive crowds for 3 years. Buying the league is just the same as Chelsea and Man city are about to do in the premiership. no thanks for me.

Leishy1995
09-08-2011, 12:47 AM
Been a fan of United since my Grandad told me about Best, Law and Charlton and what it meant to be able to play football for United. My dad played for Hearts as a youth and Man United tried to scout and sign him, the same grandad didn't let him go as he was also a Yam. Glad we converted him!:flag: