PDA

View Full Version : My experience yesterday

Lost_Mackem
07-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Firstly, I would just like to apologise for anyone who had a negative experience with some of my fellow Sunderland fans at yesterdays game, there were plenty of bell-ends about from both sides and it wasn't surprising at all when things kicked off after the game.

On the bus up to Edinburgh there was talk of Hibs casuals out for revenge after an incident which happened 7 years ago, we all dismissed this, but decided to stick together just in case anything did happen. Upon arriving in Leith me and my mate decided to stay with the throng of red and white and made for the nearest pub on London Road, can't remember its name but we had a pint in there then decided to get something to eat.

Just the two of us had a walk down to the KFC in the big shopping centre for some scran, fans of both clubs mixing with no bother, had abit of craic with some Hibbies and all was going well, we actually got lost trying to get to the ground and a helpful Hibs fan pointed us in the right direction. We ended up walking back along London Road, this is when I got a first indication of trouble. There were a group of Sunderland fans outside acting clever, chanting derogatory "songs" about Hibs/Scotland. They were clearly pissed so we decided to walk past them, problem was, as soon as we attempted this they started to follow us, probably thinking we would lead them towards the ground. We walked down Easter Road and there was a sizeable police presence, there were a hell of alot of Sunderland fans down there, all singing "God Save the Queen" and "Ingerland". Then "sh*t club no fans" whilst pointing at a couple of Hibbies making their way to the game, pretty pathetic actually, we tried to break away from this group, a Hibs fan walked up to us and just as I braced myself for a good slap, he patted me on the back and directed me to the away end.

In the ground, the atmosphere amongst our lot was strange, our fans were unusually quiet, I put it down to the poor on-field performance but then at half-time some lad behind me started saying there had been two Mackems stabbed outside the ground pre-match. The situation wasn't helped by a group of little Hibs chavs to our left chanting "Newcastle" and then one removed his coat to show a barcode top. This obviously inflamed tempers even more and there were a large group of our fans behind me saying it was really going to kick off after the game, I heard one of them say "just go out and hit anything thats not red and white". I hung my head in shame but that wasn't the end of in ground incident. Behind me were a couple of Scottish Sunderland fans, then behind them was one drunken idiot who started chanting "if you hate Scotland clap yer hands". This obviously offended the couple behind me and just as the final whistle went I could hear abit of a confrontation going on.

I went for a piss before leaving the stadium, little did I know that this simple act would probably stop me from getting a hiding. Me and my mate left the ground, staying with the throng of Mackems, there seemed to be a lot of people lost as I kept getting asked if the way we were going was the way to the train station. Walking up Easter Road there was an even bigger police presence than before the game and there were a group of thugs being cordoned off by coppers. We got to near the top of the road when a kid of no more than 14 was punched in the face by a Hibs fan. The perpetrator made a hasty retreat as a few Mackems sprinted after him whilst the rest of us tried to see if the lad was alright. Onto the crossroads next to London Road and there was more bother, people smacking the **** out of each other, plenty of gesticulating, plenty of blood and plenty of black eyes. It was pissing down so we tried to get back to the buses as quickly as possible, only to be offered out by what I can only describe as a baseball cap with a large spot on his face, I laughed at him and he called me an "English *******" I turned around to look at him but he had already made off back down the road.

Onto the bus then and all the talk again was of two people having been stabbed, we prayed that it wasn't true but had no-way of knowing whether it was or not. It was a fairly quiet journey home, yesterday was one of the occasions when I was ashamed to be a Sunderland fan, I have no idea what instigated all the fighting but as I say there were lots of knob-heads from both sides hanging about. It just ruins it for the fans who want to go to the game to watch football and have abit craic, reports of kids and women getting hit yesterday too although I never seen that personally. Anyway, as I said, just wanted to apologise.

Good luck for the season ahead.

matty_f
07-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Firstly, I would just like to apologise for anyone who had a negative experience with some of my fellow Sunderland fans at yesterdays game, there were plenty of bell-ends about from both sides and it wasn't surprising at all when things kicked off after the game.

On the bus up to Edinburgh there was talk of Hibs casuals out for revenge after an incident which happened 7 years ago, we all dismissed this, but decided to stick together just in case anything did happen. Upon arriving in Leith me and my mate decided to stay with the throng of red and white and made for the nearest pub on London Road, can't remember its name but we had a pint in there then decided to get something to eat.

Just the two of us had a walk down to the KFC in the big shopping centre for some scran, fans of both clubs mixing with no bother, had abit of craic with some Hibbies and all was going well, we actually got lost trying to get to the ground and a helpful Hibs fan pointed us in the right direction. We ended up walking back along London Road, this is when I got a first indication of trouble. There were a group of Sunderland fans outside acting clever, chanting derogatory "songs" about Hibs/Scotland. They were clearly pissed so we decided to walk past them, problem was, as soon as we attempted this they started to follow us, probably thinking we would lead them towards the ground. We walked down Easter Road and there was a sizeable police presence, there were a hell of alot of Sunderland fans down there, all singing "God Save the Queen" and "Ingerland". Then "sh*t club no fans" whilst pointing at a couple of Hibbies making their way to the game, pretty pathetic actually, we tried to break away from this group, a Hibs fan walked up to us and just as I braced myself for a good slap, he patted me on the back and directed me to the away end.

In the ground, the atmosphere amongst our lot was strange, our fans were unusually quiet, I put it down to the poor on-field performance but then at half-time some lad behind me started saying there had been two Mackems stabbed outside the ground pre-match. The situation wasn't helped by a group of little Hibs chavs to our left chanting "Newcastle" and then one removed his coat to show a barcode top. This obviously inflamed tempers even more and there were a large group of our fans behind me saying it was really going to kick off after the game, I heard one of them say "just go out and hit anything thats not red and white". I hung my head in shame but that wasn't the end of in ground incident. Behind me were a couple of Scottish Sunderland fans, then behind them was one drunken idiot who started chanting "if you hate Scotland clap yer hands". This obviously offended the couple behind me and just as the final whistle went I could hear abit of a confrontation going on.

I went for a piss before leaving the stadium, little did I know that this simple act would probably stop me from getting a hiding. Me and my mate left the ground, staying with the throng of Mackems, there seemed to be a lot of people lost as I kept getting asked if the way we were going was the way to the train station. Walking up Easter Road there was an even bigger police presence than before the game and there were a group of thugs being cordoned off by coppers. We got to near the top of the road when a kid of no more than 14 was punched in the face by a Hibs fan. The perpetrator made a hasty retreat as a few Mackems sprinted after him whilst the rest of us tried to see if the lad was alright. Onto the crossroads next to London Road and there was more bother, people smacking the **** out of each other, plenty of gesticulating, plenty of blood and plenty of black eyes. It was pissing down so we tried to get back to the buses as quickly as possible, only to be offered out by what I can only describe as a baseball cap with a large spot on his face, I laughed at him and he called me an "English *******" I turned around to look at him but he had already made off back down the road.

Onto the bus then and all the talk again was of two people having been stabbed, we prayed that it wasn't true but had no-way of knowing whether it was or not. It was a fairly quiet journey home, yesterday was one of the occasions when I was ashamed to be a Sunderland fan, I have no idea what instigated all the fighting but as I say there were lots of knob-heads from both sides hanging about. It just ruins it for the fans who want to go to the game to watch football and have abit craic, reports of kids and women getting hit yesterday too although I never seen that personally. Anyway, as I said, just wanted to apologise.

It really is disgusting and a disgrace. As a parent that takes his kids to the games, this sort of thing genuinely bothers me. In fact, that I could have been out shopping with my kids, or at the cinema, or walking back from town and have them, their mum, and me caught up in it all is really disturbing.

Luckily, I know how best to avoid the aggro and generally park where I don't need to go back to Easter Road after the game and am generally well away from the visiting fans once we're out the ground. Lots of folk wouldn't know that. People taking their kids to the pictures at the Omni, or for lunch somewhere on Leith Walk, wouldn't have known or possibly even considered these things when they picked their day out, and it would be terrifying for them to get caught up in it.

Folk just want to go to the football, spend time with their mates or their families (or both) and go home without being at risk of a kicking. Surely that's not too much to ask in this day and age.

GloryGlory
07-08-2011, 11:45 AM
Hi, Lost_Mackem

I hope you and all your fellow Sunderland supporters (NB supporters!) got home safe and well. Like you say it only takes a few Neanderthal throwbacks from either side to spoil the day out for the majority of decent fans and other decent people who just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Bob1875
07-08-2011, 11:45 AM
Think the club really needs to nip it in the bud re English friendlies. Sad but necessary .

Davy Mac
07-08-2011, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the post.

I used to be work in the North East for about 3 years visiting clients in Sunderland, Stockton, Hartelepool, Durham, Middlesborough, Newcastle etc and I have family who grew up in Bishop Auckland, Darlington, Redcar and I have to say I've always found people in the North East welcoming, friendly and good fun.

Unfortunately football seems to bring the worst out in people so thankfully this is not the norm these days and it only happens from time to time.

I wish Sunderland all the best for the new season and always enjoy watching the EPL with my kids on Sky/ESPN and I probably speak for a lot of our fans that words like exxxxxh bxxxxxxs never enters my head and I believe the so called hatred between Scotland/England is purely banter and not a true reflection on society itself.

Finally, the low turnout was expected as we've been stuggling for a while due to a number of reasons but it shows the gulf between our respective leagues when our population in Edinburgh is over double Sunderland's and yet your crowds average 30,000-40,000 every week and we marginally scrape 13,000. So well done for the turnout and dinna be strangers to Embra.

BigBamba
07-08-2011, 12:49 PM

Hi Lost Mackem,

As you say idiots ruined the day for both sides, I took my younger brother who doesn't get to many games along, and we're greeted with all this nonsense in the middle of busy streets, it's shocking. Sends out the wrong message to all younger children going to the games, luckily we got back to our bus stop no bother but the police vans were everywhere.

On a side note, how do you feel your side will do this year? I wasn't too impressed if I'm being honest, only player that really caught my eye was Sessegnon, obviously Gyan is pretty special but he was quiet.

GGTTH :cgwa

frazeHFC
07-08-2011, 01:35 PM
I never went and i am glad i never. Disgusting behavior once again from some of our 'fans,' 14 years old and hit, truly sick.

Good luck with the season ahead. :wink:

Lost_Mackem
07-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Hi Lost Mackem,

On a side note, how do you feel your side will do this year? I wasn't too impressed if I'm being honest, only player that really caught my eye was Sessegnon, obviously Gyan is pretty special but he was quiet.

GGTTH :cgwa

You weren't the only one who wasn't impressed mate, I agree that Sessegnon was the only one who stood out, although I thought Brown did well at the back. I really hope its just the pre-season blues but we have looked dire at times in the friendlies we have played. Gyan looked overweight and uninterested to me which is a worry giving that there have been rumours he wants away. I think we could struggle to score goals to be honest, we haven't replaced Bent who was a guarenteed 20 goals a season striker.

I don't expect us to better last season's tenth place finish and the pressure could really be on Bruce if we go through a long winless run, although victory over Newcastle could buy him a lot of time.

BigBamba
07-08-2011, 02:43 PM
You weren't the only one who wasn't impressed mate, I agree that Sessegnon was the only one who stood out, although I thought Brown did well at the back. I really hope its just the pre-season blues but we have looked dire at times in the friendlies we have played. Gyan looked overweight and uninterested to me which is a worry giving that there have been rumours he wants away. I think we could struggle to score goals to be honest, we haven't replaced Bent who was a guarenteed 20 goals a season striker.

I don't expect us to better last season's tenth place finish and the pressure could really be on Bruce if we go through a long winless run, although victory over Newcastle could buy him a lot of time.

I'm glad it wasn't just me expecting too much, anyway good luck with the season ahead :wink:

fat freddy
07-08-2011, 03:35 PM
[QUOTE=Lost_Mackem;2880632]Firstly, I would just like to apologise for anyone who had a negative experience with some of my fellow Sunderland fans at yesterdays game, there were plenty of bell-ends about from both sides and it wasn't surprising at all when things kicked off after the game

i take it you never got along to st.marys cathedral to see the re enactment of the battle of prestonpans between the jacobite army and sir john copes government forces...it may not have been as realistic as the battles you witnessed on easter road but im sure you would have enjoyed it if you came along...for the record,the jacobites won the match but lost the league on the last day of the season with a terrible defeat at inverness

NAE NOOKIE
07-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Good luck to Sunderland in the EPL. Shame about the neds on both sides.

Though when I told the dozen or so Sunderland fans in the Loch Inn that they looked like an explosion in a tooth paste factory they took it in good part :greengrin

Jamesie
07-08-2011, 03:57 PM

Having read that you can't really blame Tory Hibby for having taken his kids along to Murrayfield yesterday instead of Easter Road.

nonshinyfinish
07-08-2011, 03:58 PM
Having read that you can't really blame Tory Hibby for having taken his kids along to Murrayfield yesterday instead of Easter Road.

Yes you can, making kids watch rugby is still child abuse...

Kaiser1962
07-08-2011, 09:04 PM
Yes you can, making kids watch rugby is still child abuse...

It's character building.......:wink:

Lost_Mackem
07-08-2011, 10:28 PM
Would just like to say how impressed I was with Easter Road Stadium aswell, you've got a cracking wee ground there and better than alot I have visited in the Premier League.

BigBamba
07-08-2011, 10:42 PM
Would just like to say how impressed I was with Easter Road Stadium aswell, you've got a cracking wee ground there and better than alot I have visited in the Premier League.

Did any of our players impress you?

The Harp
07-08-2011, 10:52 PM

I hope all the nonsense on the day hasn't put you off returning to Edinburgh. It really is a beautiful city, with some amazing natural features, a fascinating history and it really comes to life at this time of year (during the Festival Fringe). Unfortunately, we have our fair share of numpties - as you no doubt noticed.
All the best for the season. Haste ye back!

frazeHFC
07-08-2011, 11:03 PM
Would just like to say how impressed I was with Easter Road Stadium aswell, you've got a cracking wee ground there and better than alot I have visited in the Premier League. Went to the SOL with Liverpool and it was class!

Scouse Hibee
07-08-2011, 11:05 PM

Really? Out of interest which EPL grounds are you referring to.

ArabHibee
07-08-2011, 11:07 PM
Went to the SOL with Liverpool and it was class! Glory Hunter :coffee::wink:

frazeHFC
07-08-2011, 11:08 PM

Emirates, Old Trafford, Man City Stadium, the list is endless obviously......

In all seriousness, i wonder this too? It is better than QPR etc.

frazeHFC
07-08-2011, 11:10 PM
Glory Hunter :coffee::wink:

:greengrin I, won a ticket, off of, something. :crazy: :hmmm:

NOLA
08-08-2011, 12:34 AM
im tipping sunderland to be relegated this season, they havent solved their striking options, gambling on young players to score goals in the premier league, gyan will score if he hasnt got sick of living there by xmas likes, they have a solid looking defence, thats about it, hertz loving mackem bassas:greengrin

KWJ
08-08-2011, 03:14 AM
Thanks for passing that on. Really is saddening that fans simply wanting to enjoy the football and occasion had their days and beyond spoilt by idiots wanting to fight.

There should be no place for this these days, people should feel safe going to games.

Broken Gnome
08-08-2011, 06:11 AM
Emirates, Old Trafford, Man City Stadium, the list is endless obviously......

In all seriousness, i wonder this too? It is better than QPR etc.

By all accounts QPR's away end is a death trap on entry and exit. Blackpool doesn't look the most well made of grounds, Burnley...

Basically anything that isn't modern or has been done on the cheap, we have a chance of bettering :greengrin

Lost_Mackem
08-08-2011, 09:50 AM

Fulham, Bolton, Birmingham, Wigan, Burnley, QPR, Norwich and West Brom to name a few.

Obviously Easter Road doesn't have a bigger capacity than 95% of the clubs mentioned but its very easy on the eye and you get a great view of the action no matter where you sit.

Worst ground ever has to be Burnley, standing in two feet of piss anywhere below bog level, not to mention the splinters I got in my hands and arse from the decrepit wooden seats.

Speedway
08-08-2011, 10:02 AM
Fulham, Bolton, Birmingham, Wigan, Burnley, QPR, Norwich and West Brom to name a few.

Obviously Easter Road doesn't have a bigger capacity than 95% of the clubs mentioned but its very easy on the eye and you get a great view of the action no matter where you sit.

Worst ground ever has to be Burnley, standing in two feet of piss anywhere below bog level, not to mention the splinters I got in my hands and arse from the decrepit wooden seats.

That's not Turf Moor specifically, that's just Burnley.

GloryGlory
08-08-2011, 10:13 AM

Would agree with Fulham ,as I go there 2/3 times a season. It really isn't up to much, Al Fayed obviously did up three stands on the cheap (plywood boards not concrete on the floors, and stanchions that restrict the view from just about everywhere) and the old Johnny Haynes stand reminds me of the asbestos-dome at Tynie (same architect, I believe - Archibald Leitch IIRC), but there's not much they can do, as it is listed.

Don't understand Bolton - the Reebok looked a quality stadium when I was there for the pre-season friendly a couple of years ago. Of course, it's out-of-town, shopping centre location isn't great!

Can't comment on any of the others, but have been to the Emirates (superb), White Hart Lane (atmospheric, but difficult to get to, even pre-riot) and the Boleyn ground (OK, but crap area).

FromTheCapital
08-08-2011, 12:04 PM

Pretty disgusting, mate. Sorry about your experiences at the game and really feel gutted about the behaviour with some of the 'Hibs fans'.
These idiots aren't Hibs fans...they're thugs and they should be banned from Easter Road if they are found guilty of causing trouble.
I sincerely hope that the stabbing incidents aren't true but after the amount of texts I've had, it looks as if there have been.
Once again, sorry about your time at ER and any trouble that some Hibs fans have caused to you or any Sunderland fans for that matter,
Although, it was nice to see that some Real Hibs fans were helping you find your way and were having some banter with you and your mate,
I'd like to wish you and your fellow Sunderland supporters all the very best for your new season, ahead...:aok:

Keith_M
08-08-2011, 01:04 PM
Lost Mackem, It's a shame your day out wasn't really what it should have been. It sounds like there were idiots on both sides just desperate to prove how hard they were.

I think it's important to remember that these people don't represent the majority of either Sunderland or Hibs fans. They're people stuck in a past that's unfortunately glorified and glamourised by some but which most of us would like to see put in the dustbin of history.

Pretty Boy
08-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Why don't all these people who want to fight at the football not just make arrangements to meet at a piece of wasteground or something? That way folk who know how to behave and just want to go for a few beers, a bit of banter and to watch the football could do it. Meanwhile anyone who wanted to prove a point by battering someone in public could do it and if they do it far enough away from the ground they might even get a chance to have a proper scrap before the police arrive and they are reduced to finger pointing and gesticulating at their fellow neanderthals 100 yards up the road.

It's a win/win really. Ordinary punters can enjoy a day at the football, banter , a bit of rivalry etc. Folk feel safe enough to take their kids without fear of some hero punching them in the face and the hard men get to have their fight in relative peace.

down-the-slope
08-08-2011, 02:15 PM
lots of people condeming alleged behaviour by element of fans on both sides.....quite right as well...

However its interesting where the line is drawn as a large amount of singing / chanting / verbals / gesticulation inside football grounds would constitute a breach of the peace if carried out on a public pavement....and a significant minority (and sometimes majority) engage in that within grounds....but thats just banter :rolleyes:

Lost M...sorry you only managed the inside of pubs and a couple of roughish walks to and from the match...you really should take up some of the other cultural offerings / suggestions that were made on another occasion...

In fact heres an offer for you...why not come back up for the Derby with Hearts on Jan 2nd and I'll arrange and stand you a ticket for it

StevieC
08-08-2011, 09:04 PM
Went to the SOL with Liverpool and it was class!

Went to the SOL with Newcastle .. got gobbed on, attacked and had bottles of coke thrown at me.

:greengrin

LancashireHibby
08-08-2011, 09:16 PM

I'd confidently say that Easter Road provides better views for away fans than Old Trafford (in the corner and cramped), Anfield (pillars and upper tier overhang in a stand less than 15 years old?!), Goodison (pillars, uncovered seating, wooden seats, stuck in the corner), Wigan (death trap concourse), West Ham (not even in the corner, but a good 15-20 yards outside of the touchline!), Chelsea (a fortune to be sat with a worm's eye view). Don't want to put Fulham in there because it's a welcoming ground and a good trip, but it's worth mentioning that ER has a far superior location than the out of town new stadiums. So, yes, I'd say it's a fair shout!

Removed
08-08-2011, 09:17 PM
Went to the SOL with Newcastle .. got gobbed on, attacked and had bottles of coke thrown at me.:greengrin I was at the fairly recent one at the SOL where Sunderland won 2-1. Was mental in the crazy corner when barton started "warming up" in front of the Sunderland fans. It was the getting in and out for the Newcastle fans that shocked me. It was the procession of coaches and the full scale police riot manoeuvre. Assume it's just the same at St James park though :wink:

Sir David Gray
08-08-2011, 09:48 PM
I didn't see any of this trouble occurring so I can only go on other people's accounts but what Lost Mackem has described in his original post is utterly deplorable and just shameful.

Football banning orders won't be effective because these people turn up for these fights, irrespective of whether they're going to the football match or not. Anyone found to have been involved in this should be arrested, charged, convicted and sent to prison for about five years, and for it to mean five years, not two and a half for good behaviour. If they do it again upon their release, then they're jailed for ten years. Giving them ASBOS or community orders or banning orders isn't good enough because they don't take any notice of them.

Perhaps, eventually, the message will get through.

People should be able to sing songs about England and Scotland without the other side feeling that they need to smack anyone who is within touching distance. It's a pretty sad state of affairs when English people can't sing God Save The Queen and Scottish people can't sing Flower of Scotland, before the match, without violence erupting.

All this is going to do is prevent decent Hibs fans from being able to watch their team play top English opposition in the future because the Police are going to get to the stage where they're just not going to allow it.

Which would be a real shame.

StevieC
08-08-2011, 10:02 PM
I was at the fairly recent one at the SOL where Sunderland won 2-1. Was mental in the crazy corner when barton started "warming up" in front of the Sunderland fans. It was the getting in and out for the Newcastle fans that shocked me. It was the procession of coaches and the full scale police riot manoeuvre. Assume it's just the same at St James park though :wink:

The way they transport the majority of Newcastle fans in and out with military precision is something else. There's a convoy of about 50 buses from St James' to the S.O.L., and they shut off every road the buses take so there's no interference from other traffic on the roads.

I'm not so sure it's as organised for the Sunderland supporters travelling to St James'. I their buses have a rendezvous point outside the town centre and then they're escorted down to the stadium and those travelling by train get penned in at Central Station before a large police escort takes them up to the stadium.
Basically, what went on after the match on Saturday was a Sunday School picnic compared to what can happen at a Tyneside derby.

The last couple of games in Sunderland have been quite nasty, and it's resulted in a bigger "no-mans" area and reduced allocation for fans.

I'm keeping my eye on the website to see if the loyalty points drop down low enough for me to get a ticket. I've managed it the last 3 seasons but the reduced allocation might see me missing out on this one. :rolleyes:

Scouse Hibee
08-08-2011, 10:32 PM
I'd confidently say that Easter Road provides better views for away fans than Old Trafford (in the corner and cramped), Anfield (pillars and upper tier overhang in a stand less than 15 years old?!), Goodison (pillars, uncovered seating, wooden seats, stuck in the corner), Wigan (death trap concourse), West Ham (not even in the corner, but a good 15-20 yards outside of the touchline!), Chelsea (a fortune to be sat with a worm's eye view). Don't want to put Fulham in there because it's a welcoming ground and a good trip, but it's worth mentioning that ER has a far superior location than the out of town new stadiums. So, yes, I'd say it's a fair shout!

Yeah I understand the away fans view reasons, I was wondering about actual stadiums that ER was superior to in his opinion, certainly not Anfield, Old Trafford, or Chelsea! Goodison is a ****hole wherever you sit

GORDONSMITH7
08-08-2011, 10:52 PM
The way they transport the majority of Newcastle fans in and out with military precision is something else. There's a convoy of about 50 buses from St James' to the S.O.L., and they shut off every road the buses take so there's no interference from other traffic on the roads.

I'm not so sure it's as organised for the Sunderland supporters travelling to St James'. I their buses have a rendezvous point outside the town centre and then they're escorted down to the stadium and those travelling by train get penned in at Central Station before a large police escort takes them up to the stadium.
Basically, what went on after the match on Saturday was a Sunday School picnic compared to what can happen at a Tyneside derby.

The last couple of games in Sunderland have been quite nasty, and it's resulted in a bigger "no-mans" area and reduced allocation for fans.

I'm keeping my eye on the website to see if the loyalty points drop down low enough for me to get a ticket. I've managed it the last 3 seasons but the reduced allocation might see me missing out on this one. :rolleyes:

As one of the Hibs fans who travel to The Netherlands to see FC Groningen it became apparent very quickly that it is virtually impossible to travel to an away game on the hoof as it were. Tickets only obtained with official pre arranged transport, which applies to every Club, which is ushered in and out for the game. They have it pretty much sown up.

BIG G

fat freddy
08-08-2011, 10:55 PM
I was at the fairly recent one at the SOL where Sunderland won 2-1. Was mental in the crazy corner when barton started "warming up" in front of the Sunderland fans. It was the getting in and out for the Newcastle fans that shocked me. It was the procession of coaches and the full scale police riot manoeuvre. Assume it's just the same at St James park though :wink:

i was at at newcastle / sunderland match in 1978/9 and i witnessed the worst football violence i have seen in 40 years of attending matches....words cant do justice to what i witnessed and its safe to say you would need a military type operation to keep these two sets of fans apart such is their desire to kill one another...their hatred for each other borders on the insane.

frazeHFC
08-08-2011, 11:02 PM
Regarding what you said about the Reebok. Class stadium, really like it. Was at Bolton 2-3 Liverpool and very enjoyable. Although in the 'Pool end i got coins launched my way as we were right next to the chavvy, inbread Bolton fans.

bpw
09-08-2011, 10:10 AM
[QUOTE=Lost_Mackem;2880632]Firstly, I would just like to apologise for anyone who had a negative experience with some of my fellow Sunderland fans at yesterdays game, there were plenty of bell-ends about from both sides and it wasn't surprising at all when things kicked off after the game

i take it you never got along to st.marys cathedral to see the re enactment of the battle of prestonpans between the jacobite army and sir john copes government forces...it may not have been as realistic as the battles you witnessed on easter road but im sure you would have enjoyed it if you came along...for the record,the jacobites won the match but lost the league on the last day of the season with a terrible defeat at inverness

Given Sunderland's Jacobite connections, assume the Hibs fans were the government forces!

Lost_Mackem
09-08-2011, 02:28 PM
i was at at newcastle / sunderland match in 1978/9 and i witnessed the worst football violence i have seen in 40 years of attending matches....words cant do justice to what i witnessed and its safe to say you would need a military type operation to keep these two sets of fans apart such is their desire to kill one another...their hatred for each other borders on the insane.

It can be quite heated, I've often been asked by fans of neutral clubs how bad the Tyne & Wear derby is and most look at me in astonishment when I say its almost like an Old Firm game here, without the bigotry and politics of course. Sunderland and Newcastle are the only big clubs in the North East which has a population of about half of Scotland, so both clubs attact vast followings who are really fanatical in their support for their teams.

StevieC
09-08-2011, 04:08 PM
It can be quite heated, I've often been asked by fans of neutral clubs how bad the Tyne & Wear derby is and most look at me in astonishment when I say its almost like an Old Firm game here, without the bigotry and politics of course. Sunderland and Newcastle are the only big clubs in the North East which has a population of about half of Scotland, so both clubs attact vast followings who are really fanatical in their support for their teams.

'Boro fans will be foaming at the mouth as we speak. :big grin:

On the plus side .. I was lucky enough to get a ticket for the game on the 20th. I thought I would struggle with the reduced allocation.

Imagine having to watch Sunderland twice within a fortnight though .. I feel violated!

:eek:

Golden Bear
09-08-2011, 04:49 PM

Many years ago I was persuaded by a Geordie mate to travel to a match between Newcastle & Sunderland. It was a testimonial game for Ollie Burton and if I remember correctly it attracted a crowd in exess of 40,000. It turned out to be a night of sheer mayhem and I've never seen so much trouble at a game in my life. Hardly the sort of atmosphere I expected for a testimonial game but there again it was still Newcastle v Sunderland!

Lost_Mackem
09-08-2011, 04:54 PM

On the plus side .. I was lucky enough to get a ticket for the game on the 20th. I thought I would struggle with the reduced allocation.

Imagine having to watch Sunderland twice within a fortnight though .. I feel violated!

I'm sure you'll enjoy it mate, only about a week and a half to go now and the nerves are kicking in already haha.

SteveHFC
09-08-2011, 08:20 PM
http://www.hibeesbounce.com/forum/showthread.php?107946-Idiots-in-the-Singing-Section-Yesterday.

StevieC
10-08-2011, 01:02 AM
I'm sure you'll enjoy it mate, only about a week and a half to go now and the nerves are kicking in already haha.

There's only 2 Tyneside derby games I haven't enjoyed, and I've been to loads. :wink:

bpw
10-08-2011, 10:00 AM

Middelsbrough is in Yorkshire so not really the "North-East."