PDA

View Full Version : Brendan Moloney (Forrest Right Back) & Phil Airey (Newcastle Forward) - IN

thebausburst
07-08-2011, 09:22 AM
Sunday Post are reporting these 2 as the ones we are about to sign. Looks like loan deals initially.

J-C
07-08-2011, 09:27 AM
Sunday Post are reporting these 2 as the ones we are about to sign. Looks like loan deals initially.

Airey's been touted since January and his reports are very promising, don't know a lot about Maloney but his Wiki looks good, a big lad too http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brendan_Moloney

danhibees1875
07-08-2011, 09:33 AM
Sounds good :agree:

Right back and Striker are certainly what is required just now so atleast CC seems to be looking at the right places.

Shame there hasn't been anymore about Towell returning from Celtic for RB.

H18sry
07-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Sounds good :agree:

Right back and Striker are certainly what is required just now so atleast CC seems to be looking at the right places.

Shame there hasn't been anymore about Towell returning from Celtic for RB.

If we are taking players on loan it is better taking non SPL players in who will be available to play in all the games, and not have to sit out games involving there parent clubs. :agree:

forthhibby
07-08-2011, 09:41 AM
same report also mentions leigh griffiths as possible signing, think he was also at game yesterday

PeterboroHibee
07-08-2011, 09:41 AM
If we are taking players on loan it is better taking non SPL players in who will be available to play in all the games, and not have to sit out games involving there parent clubs. :agree:

Agree with that, and while Towell being at the club benefits us short term, Id hate to think we spent around 2 years developing a player for one of the OF to then make a decent sum of money off him.

Those players sound promising though, never really heard of Airey but we seem to have been interested in him for a while, and Moloney does have a decent amount of experience.

essexhibee
07-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Great news!! Through Griffiths in there swell and we would be getting somewhere.

Godsahibby
07-08-2011, 09:45 AM
Moloney certainly doesnt sound like the high class of player hat CC has been talking about bringing in. I will admit I don't know much about him but he's only played aroun 30 games in the lower eages in England over the last 3 seasons.

blaikie
07-08-2011, 09:45 AM
Finally a right back! Really good record for his age, Played at Scunny last season also ROI U21 caps :agree:

Dibben
07-08-2011, 09:47 AM
If we are also getting Osbourne in as well, then things are looking decidedly better for this season!

Hibeescott
07-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Not saying these guys aren't coming but if they were looking to try and guess who they might be then a Forest right back and Airey, who we have been linked with for ages, is an easy story.

Neither were there yesterday that I saw, didn't see Leigh Griffiths either. Osbourne was there.

CallumLaidlaw
07-08-2011, 10:10 AM
My only worry with Maloney & airey is that come next summer we would have palsson, stack, Sodje, Agogo, O'Connor, Maloney & airey that could be away (and thats the ones just off the top of my head), which would mean another rebuilding process next summer

truehibernian
07-08-2011, 10:22 AM
My only worry with Maloney & airey is that come next summer we would have palsson, stack, Sodje, Agogo, O'Connor, Maloney & airey that could be away (and thats the ones just off the top of my head), which would mean another rebuilding process next summer

Or to put a more positive spin on things, they may have collectively taken Hibs to third, maybe a good cup run/win, and may want to resign, some on a permanent basis.

matty_f
07-08-2011, 10:25 AM

I think that we'll see a good number of these players signing extensions as the season goes on provided they've proved themselves valuable players to the team. I don't think anyone at the club wants a revolving door for players (or the manager, for that matter.).

CallumLaidlaw
07-08-2011, 10:28 AM
I think that we'll see a good number of these players signing extensions as the season goes on provided they've proved themselves valuable players to the team. I don't think anyone at the club wants a revolving door for players (or the manager, for that matter.).

Oh I think so too. They've hung on to CC for stability so that is the aim, and in the short term we want the best team on the pitch we can NOW, but it's always a concern

col02
07-08-2011, 10:28 AM
Or to put a more positive spin on things, they may have collectively taken Hibs to third, maybe a good cup run/win, and may want to resign, some on a permanent basis.

Or our younger players who will have been out on loan might be ready to replace any first team players who have left under freedom of contract.

MontrealHibs
07-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Not convinced on the Sunday Post. Towell, Griffiths and Isaiah Osbourne are the names I have heard and I'd be surprised by five signings!

jonty
07-08-2011, 10:41 AM
Not convinced on the Sunday Post. Towell, Griffiths and Isaiah Osbourne are the names I have heard and I'd be surprised by five signings!

Towel is already away on loan at Leeds?

Thomson
07-08-2011, 10:43 AM
I think there will be some clauses in contracts for a one year extension after certain amount of games. That way we get to choose whether or not we keep them.

nonshinyfinish
07-08-2011, 10:45 AM
Towel is already away on loan at Leeds?

That's Darren O'Dea, Towell is still at Celtc.

matty_f
07-08-2011, 10:47 AM
I think the article says that Airey and Moloney are on Calderwood's wishlist, rather than definite signings, and that he'd also like Griffiths.

jonty
07-08-2011, 10:52 AM
That's Darren O'Dea, Towell is still at Celtc.
ta. Shows how much interest I pay in Celtic :greengrin

MWHIBBIES
07-08-2011, 10:54 AM
Apparently Airey can also play right back. Looks like we might actualy be making the signing we need for once. :cgwa

smurf
07-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Apparently Airey can also play right back. Looks like we might actualy be making the signing we need for once. :cgwa

Not many forwards can do that..

MWHIBBIES
07-08-2011, 11:03 AM
Not many forwards can do that..I know and was thinking that but I'm just going by what a Newcastle fan has told me. He said he played some games for them at RB on their dutch tour and did ok.

Jim44
07-08-2011, 11:04 AM

I'm quite happy about loan or permanent deals but I remember Calderwood and/or Petrie saying at the time of the Sheridan saga that loan deals didn't lie comfortably with the club's plans. Or was that just a convenient way of explaining away a badly handled transaction. Seems it might be OK now to look for loan deals. :dunno:

jonty
07-08-2011, 11:16 AM
I'm quite happy about loan or permanent deals but I remember Calderwood and/or Petrie saying at the time of the Sheridan saga that loan deals didn't lie comfortably with the club's plans. Or was that just a convenient way of explaining away a badly handled transaction. Seems it might be OK now to look for loan deals. :dunno:
IIRC CC walked away from the deal because they put an offer to Sheridans club and got no answer. They then had only St J to deal with. :dunno:

Franck Stanton
07-08-2011, 11:27 AM
I know and was thinking that but I'm just going by what a Newcastle fan has told me. He said he played some games for them at RB on their dutch tour and did ok.

Certainly not disputing what your Newcastle mate told you but I think we need a player whos NATURAL position is r/b and not a forward/midfielder/centre half converted/can play there - we have all seen Wotherspoon and Palsson "fill in" at r/b - both have done a reasonable job but when compared to a player who is most suited to the position, [and before anyone starts no I dont mean Hart-he's crap], then the difference is there for all to see. So, if, there is a natural r/b in the offing-get him signed up now.

MWHIBBIES
07-08-2011, 11:35 AM
Certainly not disputing what your Newcastle mate told you but I think we need a player whos NATURAL position is r/b and not a forward/midfielder/centre half converted/can play there - we have all seen Wotherspoon and Palsson "fill in" at r/b - both have done a reasonable job but when compared to a player who is most suited to the position, [and before anyone starts no I dont mean Hart-he's crap], then the difference is there for all to see. So, if, there is a natural r/b in the offing-get him signed up now.I agree with every word. I didn't mean to imply he was the solution at right back but was just saying he could maybe fill in there if needed.

sahib
07-08-2011, 11:51 AM
Airey's been touted since January and his reports are very promising, don't know a lot about Maloney but his Wiki looks good, a big lad too http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brendan_Moloney

Perv.

J-C
07-08-2011, 01:12 PM
Perv.

It takes one to see that in my post :greengrin:na na:

Kaiser1962
07-08-2011, 01:26 PM

I think thats the nature of things these days and is going to be thus for the forseeable future. When Palsson signed an 18 month deal it was certainly at his (agents) insistence and I would imagine Airey would not consider a move here unless it was on loan. Speaking to a coach recently who said the SPL might not seem that attractive to players in England or elsewhere but sometimes they will have to take a step back to move forward.

aberhibsfc
07-08-2011, 03:21 PM
No doubt we need a striker and a RB, I would love to have Griffiths too but not at the expense of a creative midfielder.

We have some good strong lads in centre midfield, Thornhill looks like he could spray the passes around. Just wonder if we need someone creative that can play in centre mid to carry the ball. I hope Galbraith comes onto a game and compliments the other wing. Would be great to see those two battering down the wings.

IWasThere2016
07-08-2011, 07:24 PM

Young Crawf on 1-year deal also.

Speedway
08-08-2011, 09:31 AM
Rumour is we've enquired about this boy this summer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anssi_Jaakkola

GloryGlory
08-08-2011, 10:05 AM
Young Crawf on 1-year deal also.

As is Stevenson, IIRC.

smurf
08-08-2011, 10:07 AM
As is Stevenson, IIRC.

Should have let him go in the summer. I like young Lewis but I just can't see him really staking a claim. Also, if he plays left back we will be badly exposed.

GloryGlory
08-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Should have let him go in the summer. I like young Lewis but I just can't see him really staking a claim. Also, if he plays left back we will be badly exposed.

CC obviously saw enough to think he was worth another chance, but I suspect he wants Lewis to show some improvement over the season to get another contract. I really fear, however, that eventually Lewis will find his level at somewhere like Dunfermline/St Mirren/St Johnstone (no disrepect).

Speedway
08-08-2011, 10:46 AM
I've changed my mind.

Osbourne and Reynolds (permanent)

:wink::greengrin

hibs0666
08-08-2011, 10:48 AM
I've changed my mind.

Osbourne and Reynolds (permanent)

:wink::greengrin

Have you changed your mind in a girly-random sort of way or in a blokey-rational sort of way? :wink:

Speedway
08-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Have you changed your mind in a girly-random sort of way or in a blokey-rational sort of way? :wink:

Girly - random :agree: