PDA

View Full Version : I enjoyed that 90mins more than any other last season at ER.

smurf
06-08-2011, 04:35 PM
Ok we were hardly looking like troubling their defence throughout the game as up top we were lightweight but i really enjoyed that game.

It had IMHO more positives than negatives. And many more positives than any other 90 mins at ER last season for me.

For a start the players looked like they were interested. Everyone of them gave 100%. They looked well drilled (well done CC).

Defensively we were absolutely superb. Brown didn't have much to do but when he did he looked sharp.

I thought Palsson was superb after replacing Hart early on. Booth was good. But in the heart of the defence Hanlon and Stephens were absolutely solid. In particular Stephens.

Towards the end it looked like Hibs under 19's vs a top English Premiership team and our lads equipped themselves superbly well.

Much encouraged.

pedroorange1875
06-08-2011, 04:42 PM
totally disagree with your first point, i thought when we moved the ball well through the midfield we opened them up everytime at the back and they looked dodgy. Agree about the firepower but we troubled there defence on a number of occassions. They will struggle in the premiership i think

Rest of your post is spot on

Mikey
06-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Would agree with Smurf in that there's still work to be done on the rest of the team. Very encouraging though.

fife hfc
06-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Horner grew in confidence as the game went on and began so show some good movement and passes. We looked solid but we did lack up front, though the young lads gave it a good go. I also think it was a good workout as Sunderland took the game seriously and had a good experienced team out.

smurf
06-08-2011, 04:52 PM
I suspect big Stevie Bruce will be delighted that his team were given a decent work out before they kick off next week at Liverpool.

A right back to get Palsson in midfield.

A creative midfielder.

A poacher.

Please....:greengrin

Golden Bear
06-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Would agree with Smurf in that there's still work to be done on the rest of the team. Very encouraging though.

And is our pitch up to acceptable standards or is there still work to be done?

:wink:

down-the-slope
06-08-2011, 04:58 PM
Ok we were hardly looking like troubling their defence throughout the game as up top we were lightweight but i really enjoyed that game.

It had IMHO more positives than negatives. And many more positives than any other 90 mins at ER last season for me.

For a start the players looked like they were interested. Everyone of them gave 100%. They looked well drilled (well done CC).

Defensively we were absolutely superb. Brown didn't have much to do but when he did he looked sharp.

I thought Palsson was superb after replacing Hart early on. Booth was good. But in the heart of the defence Hanlon and Stephens were absolutely solid. In particular Stephens.

Towards the end it looked like Hibs under 19's vs a top English Premiership team and our lads equipped themselves superbly well.

Much encouraged.

:agree: was just about to post something similar...i'm convinced that because Sunderl;and came and played football we saw a better game..although i though Booth got out of position and roasted couple of times first half - would agree with comments on others. The players really look like they know the way they are meant to be playing and are showing real discipline in mostly sticking to it (CC wants wide players and free midfielder supporting more quickly when on the ball)

I thought DeGraff had by far his best game, and looked like the player we were promised / i always thought was in there. Very tidy on the ball and finding team mates with what appeared ease...also lots of tracking runners / breaking up play...

I also thought that the youngsters all aquitted themselves ok / some excellently...to think we had 8 players 23 or under on the pitch most of the match.....

Noticed CC had ditched trousers and cardigan for track suit ...maybe did not want wool shrinking in the rain :greengrin

Westie1875
06-08-2011, 05:04 PM
:agree: was just about to post something similar...i'm convinced that because Sunderl;and came and played football we saw a better game..although i though Booth got out of position and roasted couple of times first half - would agree with comments on others. The players really look like they know the way they are meant to be playing and are showing real discipline in mostly sticking to it (CC wants wide players and free midfielder supporting more quickly when on the ball)

I thought DeGraff had by far his best game, and looked like the player we were promised / i always thought was in there. Very tidy on the ball and finding team mates with what appeared ease...also lots of tracking runners / breaking up play...

I also thought that the youngsters all aquitted themselves ok / some excellently...to think we had 8 players 23 or under on the pitch most of the match.....

Noticed CC had ditched trousers and cardigan for track suit ...maybe did not want wool shrinking in the rain :greengrin

:agree: I thought he was excellent today, hopefully more of the same to come.

Thought Caldwell looked a real handful when he came on, would like to see him or Crawford tried upfront with GOC next week if Sodje & Agogo are still out.

Barney McGrew
06-08-2011, 05:06 PM

:agree:

Hart possibly had his best game for us too :wink:

down-the-slope
06-08-2011, 05:13 PM
:agree: I thought he was excellent today, hopefully more of the same to come.

Thought Caldwell looked a real handful when he came on, would like to see him or Crawford tried upfront with GOC next week if Sodje & Agogo are still out.

:agree: struggled a wee bit in the air with the experienced (tugging / pushing etc) CH's but got stuck in...hes physically a monster for his age...at Vale on Tuesday he had one run from inside his own half and dribbled / barged his way past about 6 players.....

It is great to see the way the manager is getting th young players involved in the squad...means when they need to fill in its not all new....also can see a couple pushing for starting places fairly soon if their development keeps apace...

smurf
06-08-2011, 05:17 PM
DeGraff has technical ability but he's too slow...

Westie1875
06-08-2011, 05:38 PM
:agree: struggled a wee bit in the air with the experienced (tugging / pushing etc) CH's but got stuck in...hes physically a monster for his age...at Vale on Tuesday he had one run from inside his own half and dribbled / barged his way past about 6 players.....

How old is he?

Lucius Apuleius
06-08-2011, 05:47 PM
Hart's best game definitely:greengrin Not Booth's, but OK. Stephens and Hanlon were good. Thought Murray had a good game as well as Ed. Lots of jolly positives.:agree:

Haggis Hibby
06-08-2011, 06:21 PM
I thought the whole team worked hard as a unit....hunting for the ball in packs,,,,,

defence looked solid..... midfield worked hard....

no real failures in team but we are lightweight up front,,,,,

i can see us getting better with every game played... :hibees

NOLA
06-08-2011, 06:38 PM
hello hibs hello hibs are you listening:saltireflagbojour:sauzee::wink:

fife hfc
06-08-2011, 06:39 PM
Hart's best game definitely:greengrin Not Booth's, but OK. Stephens and Hanlon were good. Thought Murray had a good game as well as Ed. Lots of jolly positives.:agree:

I thought Murray was excellent in the middle of the park and certainly clattered Cattermole.:greengrin

weedgiehibbie
06-08-2011, 06:42 PM

This sounds very encouraging considering the young age of the defence, up against a very expensive forward line, hopefully a good sign for the future :agree:

Arch Stanton
06-08-2011, 07:02 PM
DeGraff has technical ability but he's too slow...

I don't recall him being exposed for lack of pace today.

In fact, even though they had plenty pace and skill in their team we managed to keep with them - this slowness thing is overstated in my view.

Sir David Gray
06-08-2011, 07:06 PM
Avoiding defeat and getting a clean sheet against an experienced Premiership side which has a squad that is worth over £70 million will always be looked upon as a success.

We didn't trouble them too much in front of goal but I felt we competed well enough.

down-the-slope
06-08-2011, 07:36 PM
I don't recall him being exposed for lack of pace today.

In fact, even though they had plenty pace and skill in their team we managed to keep with them - this slowness thing is overstated in my view.

Thats because he wasn't

IWasThere2016
06-08-2011, 07:56 PM

Much encouraged.

CC is the man .. He needs additional resoources asap IMHO :agree: and BEFORE the Killie game as he has rightly pointed out.

sahib
06-08-2011, 08:05 PM
Avoiding defeat and getting a clean sheet against an experienced Premiership side which has a squad that is worth over £70 million will always be looked upon as a success.

We didn't trouble them too much in front of goal but I felt we competed well enough.

Is that the great Caldo plan for the current season? That is what I kept asking myself. I know a lot of posters will think, it's better than leaking goals and old Walter, for one, had success with it but I was a bit bored watching it. I am not panicking yet as these games are strange affairs, but we seem not to be able to link midfield to attack.

Removed
06-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Is that be the great Caldo plan for the current season? That is what I kept asking myself. I know a lot of posters will think, it's better than leaking goals and old Walter, for one, had success with it but I was a bit bored watching it. I am not panicking yet as these games are strange affairs, but we seem not to be able to link midfield to attack.You'd better get used to it. We won't score many goals so defence will be crucial this season.

smurf
06-08-2011, 08:14 PM
You'd better get used to it. We won't score many goals so defence will be crucial this season.

Why don't you think we'll score goals?

Removed
06-08-2011, 08:24 PM
Why don't you think we'll score goals? Just don't think that is CC's tactics, the you score 2 we'll score 3 approach. More of a Lexo mk2 style. If we win games though you won't hear me complaining.

smurf
06-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Just don't think that is CC's tactics, the you score 2 we'll score 3 approach. More of a Lexo mk2 style. If we win games though you won't hear me complaining.

I agree in the sense that he's not the Mowbray 'We'll score one more than you...' but with already THREE strikers at the club (all proven goalscorers) i take heart from him looking to still add to the squad for up front.

I expect goals.:greengrin

Removed
06-08-2011, 08:33 PM
I agree in the sense that he's not the Mowbray 'We'll score one more than you...' but with already THREE strikers at the club (all proven goalscorers) i take heart from him looking to still add to the squad for up front.I expect goals.:greengrinHope you're right and I'm spectacularly wrong :greengrin

Jonnyboy
06-08-2011, 08:35 PM
Hope you're right and I'm spectacularly wrong :greengrin

So do I :wink:

sahib
06-08-2011, 10:38 PM
I agree in the sense that he's not the Mowbray 'We'll score one more than you...' but with already THREE strikers at the club (all proven goalscorers) i take heart from him looking to still add to the squad for up front.

I expect goals.:greengrin

We might score goals against inept defences but if we play like today we won't break down many decent ones. Granted, he has two strikers out, so he may set up differently on occasion but I think keeping it tight will be the order of the day.

Albion Hibs
07-08-2011, 01:04 AM
Really enjoyed the game today which is surprising as I am not a fan of friendlies. They seemed to be playing what looks like there starting 11 for the first EPL game and I thought we competed more than well. Technically they are always going to be better, but we restricted them to next to nothing, had good spells of possession and carved out some decent moves.

Murray and O'Connor did especially well. Murray was more than up to matching there midfield, some good forward passing to get things moving along with defensive duties. O'Connor won pretty much everything in the air against Brown (I struggle to see how he lasted so long at Man U), and of course Stephens who put in another good performance, won everything in the air and helped keep another clean sheet. Pretty impressive considering he was playing against and EPL striker in Gyan, someone who bagged a few in the world cup. Deserving of his MOM award.

Thought some of the younger lads looked lost to start with but came into the game, considering the age and experience of the team we ended the game with I hope they all take a lot of confidence from today.

basehibby
07-08-2011, 02:17 AM
I thought Murray was our best man today with good solid performances throughout the team including, encouragingly, from De Graff who IMO thrived along with Murray as one of the more experienced heads, as the youngsters supplied plenty of energy around them.

All in all a good runout against quality opposition with a pleasing clean sheet even if Sunderland missed a sitter or two.

Two Halves
07-08-2011, 09:51 AM
I decided to go along yesterday too and saw some real positives for a change.. Thought some of the young lads looked good, especially enjoyed when Crawford left Larsson for dead in the second half! Caldwell looks a hand full too. O'Connor won plenty, Murray was harrying their midfield which they didn't seem to appreciate at all! Also felt De Graff had a good game and put in a good shift in midfield

I would have been disappointed to come away from the game having lost after some of the play in the second half.. Thought we matched them in spells. But for our team to be missing Stack, O'Hanlon, Sodje, Agogo, Thornhill & Sproule (appreciate those two came on later on) from thestarting 11, it looks to me like we'll cope just fine for the coming season! :thumbsup:

matty_f
07-08-2011, 10:14 AM
I decided to go along yesterday too and saw some real positives for a change.. Thought some of the young lads looked good, especially enjoyed when Crawford left Larsson for dead in the second half! Caldwell looks a hand full too. O'Connor won plenty, Murray was harrying their midfield which they didn't seem to appreciate at all! Also felt De Graff had a good game and put in a good shift in midfield

I would have been disappointed to come away from the game having lost after some of the play in the second half.. Thought we matched them in spells. But for our team to be missing Stack, O'Hanlon, Sodje, Agogo, Thornhill & Sproule (appreciate those two came on later on) from thestarting 11, it looks to me like we'll cope just fine for the coming season! :thumbsup:

That's good to hear. :agree:

I actually think there have been positives in our play in each of the games this season. Although the stats about no shots on target will be thrown in to counter this, I thought our performance against Celtc was quite good, and I enjoyed the game. Against Inverness we created a lot of chances and although we rode our luck a little, I think we were well worth the points.

I think CC's vision of the team is starting to come together and he's getting across how he wants us to play to the players, and that's manifesting itself in better performances on the pitch. Considering that O'Connor is our only experienced striker that's available to play, I think we've adapted well.

And a big plus for me is the age of the team, there is potential here for another 'golden generation' if CC is as good as he thinks he is.

It's good to see him getting better performances from Murray, Stevenson, Hanlon, and Stephens already this season which reflects well on his coaching and man-management, IMHO.

Crab apple
07-08-2011, 10:35 AM
I thought we looked organised yesterday and were able to compete physically against a tough Sunderland team. Good to see Horner continue on from his form at Berwick. I thought Stevens was really good as was Hanlon. Murray competed well and gave as good as he got in the battle with Cattermole. I actually thought EDG palyed as well as I've seen him play - sprayng passes about and tracking back. Really pleasing to see the young guys in the second half get valuable experience.

Is my senile dementia kicking in or have the away and home dugouts swapped since last season?

Disco Dave
07-08-2011, 02:54 PM
I take it I must be the only one that thought the game was ridiculously boring yesterday?

Hibercelona
07-08-2011, 03:00 PM
I take it I must be the only one that thought the game was ridiculously boring yesterday?

Was just going to post the same thing.

Just shows how over-rated their league is though. They couldn't cut through a mediocre Hibs team.

I can't recall the last time we played an EPL team at ER and got shown up by them. They always show up in fair numbers (which i suppose isn't a bad thing) but they all do it expecting to give us a doing. :rolleyes:

down-the-slope
07-08-2011, 03:13 PM
I thought we looked organised yesterday and were able to compete physically against a tough Sunderland team. Good to see Horner continue on from his form at Berwick. I thought Stevens was really good as was Hanlon. Murray competed well and gave as good as he got in the battle with Cattermole. I actually thought EDG palyed as well as I've seen him play - sprayng passes about and tracking back. Really pleasing to see the young guys in the second half get valuable experience.

Is my senile dementia kicking in or have the away and home dugouts swapped since last season?

nope you brain is fine (well on this issue anyhow) swapped since first game at ER this season

down-the-slope
07-08-2011, 03:14 PM

Atmoshpere was poor, but match good...suppose it depends on what you go for

NAE NOOKIE
07-08-2011, 03:30 PM

Agree it wasnt the most exciting game yesterday, but if the idea was to see if Hibs could compete against a team with more quality not to mention experience then it was job done for me.

Was really pleased with Stephens and some of the other young lads, not to mention that we didnt look outclassed at any point. If we can move on from yesterday then I for one will be happy, especially if we can get going up front.

Still ... It is Hibs, so we will see :greengrin

GGTTH :flag:

EVENTUALLY
07-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Stephens looked all the better for adding a bit of aggression to some of his challenges. He was defo MoM. Murray and DeGraff showed their experience and it was needed as Horner was a touch overawed in the 1st half. Palsson took up some very good tucked in positions and looked much better at right back than he did against Celtic. Crawford and Caldwell look promising although if the new signings arrive this week I think Horner, Crawford and Caldwell will go on loan.

The only thing that bugged me was Hibs ever increasing ability to get worse and worse every week when they take throw ins. Absolutely woeful yet again.

Speedway
08-08-2011, 09:55 AM
CC is the man .. He needs additional resoources asap IMHO :agree: and BEFORE the Killie game as he has rightly pointed out.

He's got the defense organised, he's still looking to strengthen it. He's signed the spine of the team. He hasn't signed a duffer yet and got shot of the loanees that didn't do the business. He's got the side knowing what they are supposed to do. He got a decent performance out of Hart. The players (multiple) described him during last season and this as 'a guy you really want to play for'. He's in demand from big clubs. He's managed and coached at big clubs and played art the highest level for club and country. He's now looking to bring in EPL quality players and is so far, doing so under or within budget.

Yes we might have a season of 1-0 to the Arsenal type matches but he's starting from where he should, making us tough to beat, removing the soft touch tag that Yogi couldn't shift, busting a hoodoo, blooding the youngsters and keeping his own counsel in media interviews.

That's a decent enough start for me. 'Mon the clueless.

smurf
08-08-2011, 10:03 AM

Depends on what you were looking for.

If you wanted to see us giving it 'a right good go' then we would have lost by four or five goals IMHO.

I didn't leave feeling entertained. I wouldn't want to leave Easter Road every game this season feeling not entertained.

However, on Saturday I left impressed having enjoyed the experience of seeing development and progress.

Time will tell if that's the case as all that really matters is results in the SPL whereas on Saturday it wasn't relevant at all...

LeithBoozy
08-08-2011, 10:59 AM
I was proud of the young lads on Sat, I really had not heard of half of the young guys, until CC started to play them. Smith, Taggart, Horner, Caldwell, Crawford and the rest of the team, take a bow, well done lads.

dangermouse
09-08-2011, 02:47 PM
One thing that stuck out with me was our delivery from a dead ball situation. I don't think Booth is the man for the job at present as all his deliveries were floated efforts. Maybe someone else should be given a try.

down-the-slope
09-08-2011, 06:24 PM
One thing that stuck out with me was our delivery from a dead ball situation. I don't think Booth is the man for the job at present as all his deliveries were floated efforts. Maybe someone else should be given a try.

that plus throw ins have been rank for 2/3 seasons......

R'Albin
09-08-2011, 07:45 PM
that plus throw ins have been rank for 2/3 seasons......

Apart from when Grounds was here, his throw was pretty good:agree:

Jonnyboy
09-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Apart from when Grounds was here, his throw was pretty good:agree:

:agree: As was Richie Towell's

down-the-slope
09-08-2011, 09:17 PM
yes both those guys for the few weeks we had them had good attacking long throws...i just talking about the general inability to maintain posession when its out throw

Jonnyboy
09-08-2011, 09:24 PM
yes both those guys for the few weeks we had them had good attacking long throws...i just talking about the general inability to maintain posession when its out throw

With you 100% on that one. We're crap at defending throws and we're crap at making anything out of our own throws. Have been for years ....................... Petrie :grr: :greengrin

R'Albin
09-08-2011, 09:29 PM

That's true, even when we had people that could take a good throw we never made much out of them, only time recently I can remember us scoring from a throw was Booth vs Inverness last year.

Albion Hibs
09-08-2011, 10:35 PM

I would agree to an extent albeit I think that floating them in at times was perhaps a tactic based on taking advantage of Stephens height and the fact Hanlon can be quite good from a set piece. However, we do also need to be able to put a ball in with pace on it.

Agree with the throw in shout, it seems like since 30 mins into the celtic game we have reverted to throwing it up the line in a bid to help, but it is not getting us anywhere. Part of the problem is not just the throw in but the wide midfielders / forwards ability to hold up from a throw in or show in the first place! Work needed on that area.