PDA

View Full Version : NHC Scholes Testimonial

steviecarnie
05-08-2011, 01:52 PM
The Legend that is Paul Scholes testimonial tonight, and i see that the stretford end flags group are doing a special mosaic, to honor him. with

"Stretford End Flags have once again designed a special mosaic for the occasion, just as they did for Gary Neville's tribute match. We can now reveal that the mosaic will stretch along the lower tier of North Stand with 18,000 cards being held up to to make up an image of Paul's face along with the word 'GENIUS' and the number 18 to reflect his shirt number"

with ian murray's testimonial this year, anyone any idea's how we could do similar??

SMAXXA
05-08-2011, 01:57 PM
Am sure you could ask a supporter to hold up an Ian Murry photo, lets face it cant see there being that many folk their! Hope not tho hope theres trillions cause I like Nid! :wink:

snooky
05-08-2011, 04:41 PM
I like IM. He's been good for Hibs and good luck to him however, IMO he got his testimonial when he drove along the M8.

PISTOL1875
05-08-2011, 06:03 PM
The Legend that is Paul Scholes testimonial tonight, and i see that the stretford end flags group are doing a special mosaic, to honor him. with

"Stretford End Flags have once again designed a special mosaic for the occasion, just as they did for Gary Neville's tribute match. We can now reveal that the mosaic will stretch along the lower tier of North Stand with 18,000 cards being held up to to make up an image of Paul's face along with the word 'GENIUS' and the number 18 to reflect his shirt number"

with ian murray's testimonial this year, anyone any idea's how we could do similar??

That mosaic for ginger baws , should read -- ' RETIRED AGAINST CITY '

Danderhall Hibs
05-08-2011, 06:14 PM
That mosaic for ginger baws , should read -- ' RETIRED AGAINST CITY '

As good as he was in the 90s he's been living off past glories and being a nice lad for at least 5 years.

Big Toure showed him up in the semi last year and that obviously gave him some realisation. 20 year career not one legal tackle - that must be some kind of record?!

benji_hfc
05-08-2011, 06:35 PM
As good as he was in the 90s he's been living off past glories and being a nice lad for at least 5 years.

Big Toure showed him up in the semi last year and that obviously gave him some realisation. 20 year career not one legal tackle - that must be some kind of record?!

when man utd played newcastle at home last season, scholes's performance that day was unbleavable! he still has it just not the legs anymore

chrisski33
05-08-2011, 06:42 PM
As good as he was in the 90s he's been living off past glories and being a nice lad for at least 5 years. Big Toure showed him up in the semi last year and that obviously gave him some realisation. 20 year career not one legal tackle - that must be some kind of record?! Think he'd show the current crop of hibs players a few things or two!

Sir David Gray
05-08-2011, 06:48 PM
when man utd played newcastle at home last season, scholes's performance that day was unbleavable! he still has it just not the legs anymore

:agree: Paul Scholes would, even today, walk into the first team of almost every single club side in the world. It's just that he thought it was better to retire than have to play his football away from Manchester Utd as he was beginning to struggle at the very highest level.

Where do you go after you've been at Old Trafford for 20 years? :confused:

When people look back in 20-30 years' time, Paul Scholes will be looked upon as one of the greatest midfielders that England has ever produced.

greenlex
05-08-2011, 06:57 PM
:agree: Paul Scholes would, even today, walk into the first team of almost every single club side in the world. It's just that he thought it was better to retire than have to play his football away from Manchester Utd as he was beginning to struggle at the very highest level.

When people look back in 20-30 years' time, Paul Scholes will be looked upon as one of the greatest midfielders that England has ever produced.
Make your bloody mind up!!!! :greengrin

SunnyLeither
05-08-2011, 07:02 PM
as good as he was in the 90s he's been living off past glories and being a nice lad for at least 5 years. Big toure showed him up in the semi last year and that obviously gave him some realisation. 20 year career not one legal tackle - that must be some kind of record?! abu

Hibs Class
05-08-2011, 07:21 PM

That's a reasonable assessment from a MU supporter. He's a very good player but has had 4 red cards in the EPL (I was surprised it's as few), 90 yellow (which makes him the third most booked player) and 32 in the champions league (which is a record). I think back also to his assault in the last cup final. Amongst the many words that could be used for him, thug has to be in the mix.

Danderhall Hibs
05-08-2011, 07:29 PM

Why will people have to wait 20-30 years to think that? You'd imagine they'd think now? I'd take Gerrard over him any day.

Woody1985
05-08-2011, 07:35 PM
That's a reasonable assessment from a MU supporter. He's a very good player but has had 4 red cards in the EPL (I was surprised it's as few), 90 yellow (which makes him the third most booked player) and 32 in the champions league (which is a record). I think back also to his assault in the last cup final. Amongst the many words that could be used for him, thug has to be in the mix. scholes a thug? :faf:

Hibs Class
05-08-2011, 07:40 PM
scholes a thug? :faf:

Scholes is a very good player but with a dark side to him. You disagree?

TrinityHibs
05-08-2011, 07:40 PM
scholes a thug? :faf:

:fishin:

TrinityHibs
05-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Why will people have to wait 20-30 years to think that? You'd imagine they'd think now? I'd take Gerrard over him any day.

Any day? Over his 20 year career I would have chosen Scholes more often than Gerrard. Both are excellent players/leaders but Scholes has done it longer

Woody1985
05-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Scholes is a very good player but with a dark side to him. You disagree? I won't pull out the **** tackler point and he has had a few nasties but a lot have been professional or **** challenger.Nowhere near a Thug.

matty_f
05-08-2011, 07:50 PM

Imogen Thomas's house?:greengrin

Hibs Class
05-08-2011, 07:50 PM
As far as I can gather his career stats are:

744 games
153 yellows (roughly 1 in 5)
10 red

Within that I can recollect a fair number of cynical fouls (I prefer the term cynical to professional).

He's not a Roy Keane, a Vinnie Jones or a Willie Johnston but I'm completely comfortable that thuggish is a reasonable adjective for him.

Sir David Gray
05-08-2011, 07:53 PM
That's a reasonable assessment from a MU supporter. He's a very good player but has had 4 red cards in the EPL (I was surprised it's as few), 90 yellow (which makes him the third most booked player) and 32 in the champions league (which is a record). I think back also to his assault in the last cup final. Amongst the many words that could be used for him, thug has to be in the mix.

I don't think he was particularly malicious or even a thug. He was simply a very poor tackler.

Sir David Gray
05-08-2011, 08:00 PM

The point I was making was that people tend to exaggerate how good a player is/was when they're recently retired or still playing. The truly great players are still remembered by people several decades down the line, long after they're retired or even dead and it will come from people who didn't even see them play.

I think that will apply to Paul Scholes.

Hibs Class
05-08-2011, 08:02 PM
I don't think he was particularly malicious or even a thug. He was simply a very poor tackler.

That doesn't really fly. One of the recurring comments from those involved with Scholes from a very early age is that he was an intelligent boy, someone who was keen to learn and someone who worked hard. With his undoubted talent I think he could have learned to tackle, and in fact he wasn't incapable of decent tackling. My view is that he too often made cynical (or what Woody would describe as professional) challenges and too often the red mist descended which led to some quite disgraceful challenges.

I think that's a pretty fair and accurate assessment.

PISTOL1875
05-08-2011, 08:36 PM

Scholes has been like this for a few years now.. He knows he's too slow for the game nowadays so he makes a bad tackle which prompts bacon face to get him of before he is sent off..

Nakedmanoncrack
05-08-2011, 08:50 PM
That doesn't really fly. One of the recurring comments from those involved with Scholes from a very early age is that he was an intelligent boy, someone who was keen to learn and someone who worked hard. With his undoubted talent I think he could have learned to tackle, and in fact he wasn't incapable of decent tackling. My view is that he too often made cynical (or what Woody would describe as professional) challenges and too often the red mist descended which led to some quite disgraceful challenges.

I think that's a pretty fair and accurate assessment.

:agree:
Undoubtedly a very talented player but can't think of many players of such quality who could match him for simple nastiness.

AFKA5814_Hibs
05-08-2011, 09:02 PM
At his height he was one of the best in the country, but in recent years he has proved to be less effective.

PISTOL1875
05-08-2011, 09:23 PM

http://youtu.be/W66JLyOAt7g

http://youtu.be/5Obn14zksiI

He is a dirty little rat.. If he didnt play for the **** then he would have a lot more red cards than he has...

Sir David Gray
05-08-2011, 09:30 PM
http://youtu.be/W66JLyOAt7g

Very bad tackle, extremely late and possibly worthy of a red card, although the referee deemed it a yellow card offence.

That doesn't make him a thug.

Derek Riordan put in a shocking tackle on Rudi Skacel last season, which he was correctly sent off for. Would you describe him as a thug?

Danderhall Hibs
05-08-2011, 09:30 PM
Any day? Over his 20 year career I would have chosen Scholes more often than Gerrard. Both are excellent players/leaders but Scholes has done it longer

He's been about longer but I don't think he's done it more than Gerrard.

Man U would've still won what they won without Scholes, Liverpool wouldn't have won without Gerrard.

Danderhall Hibs
05-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Very bad tackle, extremely late and possibly worthy of a red card, although the referee deemed it a yellow card offence.

Derek Riordan put in a shocking tackle on Rudi Skacel last season, which he was correctly sent off for. Would you describe him as a thug?

If he consistently "mis-timed" tackles then yes I would say he's a thug. Either thug or incompetent.

Hibs Class
05-08-2011, 09:36 PM

OK - I'll bite. Riordan's tackle that day was a disgrace, I wasn't ashamed but I found it embarrassing. It was also atypical of Riordan, it was pretty much a one off and whilst it was an indefensible assault it doesn't epitomise Riordan as a player. Scholes on the other hand has a history of similar assaults on much more than one occasion - I know that to be the case and so do you, and if you took off your MU specs you'd readily acknowledge that to be a fair assessment.

HH81
05-08-2011, 09:41 PM
OK - I'll bite. Riordan's tackle that day was a disgrace, I wasn't ashamed but I found it embarrassing. It was also atypical of Riordan, it was pretty much a one off and whilst it was an indefensible assault it doesn't epitomise Riordan as a player. Scholes on the other hand has a history of similar assaults on much more than one occasion - I know that to be the case and so do you, and if you took off your MU specs you'd readily acknowledge that to be a fair assessment.

To be fair FalkirkHibs should know Scholes more then you. After all the games he has attended to watch him. :wink:

Woody1985
05-08-2011, 09:45 PM
http://youtu.be/W66JLyOAt7ghttp://youtu.be/5Obn14zksiIHe is a dirty little rat.. If he didnt play for the **** then he would have a lot more red cards than he has... The fourth one in that was the only real bad one. The swinging of the hand on the second, if someone done that to me up town I'd fall over laughing!I much prefered keane's tackle.:greengrin

BryanV
05-08-2011, 09:47 PM
He's been about longer but I don't think he's done it more than Gerrard.

Man U would've still won what they won without Scholes, Liverpool wouldn't have won without Gerrard.
Even by the terms of your premise then Scholes has done more than Stevie G considering the respective honours records of the two clubs in the period.

Sir David Gray
05-08-2011, 09:54 PM

I accept that Scholes had more of a history of making poor tackles than Riordan does and that he couldn't tackle a fish supper. However, I don't accept that Paul Scholes is or was a thug.

4 red cards in the Premier League in a career that spanned almost 20 years is a pretty decent record in my opinion.

To be fair FalkirkHibs should know Scholes more then you. After all the games he has attended to watch him. :wink:

I get a better all round view of him on the telly. More of a chance to watch replays from different angles etc. :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
05-08-2011, 09:55 PM
Even by the terms of your premise then Scholes has done more than Stevie G considering the respective honours records of the two clubs in the period.

No, Man U have done more than Liverpool in that period.

Winston Ingram
05-08-2011, 10:05 PM
http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/manchester-united-new-york-cosmos-14609070/

TheEastTerrace
05-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Class act. End of. Zidane, Xavi, Charlton, Iniesta, Lippi, Ferguson, Capello all said he was one of the finest midfielders to play in the modern era.

Yes, he was bad at tackling, but Maradona never kicked with his right foot you know? Must have been gash.

As for Stevie Gerrard being a better player, are you having a laugh?!! Gerrard hasn't performed for Liverpool since they got to their last European final.

.Sean.
06-08-2011, 01:25 AM
I'm priveleged to have seen him afew times in the flesh - in his prime he was easily as good as, if not better, than the likes of Iniesta and Xavi. Sublime and different class altogether.

Praise indeed from me considering he's ginge and an English bawbag.

MWHIBBIES
06-08-2011, 03:20 AM
Class act. End of. Zidane, Xavi, Charlton, Iniesta, Lippi, Ferguson, Capello all said he was one of the finest midfielders to play in the modern era.

Yes, he was bad at tackling, but Maradona never kicked with his right foot you know? Must have been gash.

As for Stevie Gerrard being a better player, are you having a laugh?!! Gerrard hasn't performed for Liverpool since they got to their last European final.So the 65 goals he has scored for Liverpool since were an accident then?

Danderhall Hibs
06-08-2011, 06:16 AM

As for Stevie Gerrard being a better player, are you having a laugh?!! Gerrard hasn't performed for Liverpool since they got to their last European final.

I'm afraid you're believing the hype.

As for your other point - Torres wouldn't be a £50m player if it wasn't for Gerrard. Even if he hadn't performed since their last Euro Final (which is rubbish) it's still a shorter period of time than since Scholes last performed.

steviecarnie
06-08-2011, 08:05 AM
I'm afraid you're believing the hype.

As for your other point - Torres wouldn't be a £50m player if it wasn't for Gerrard. Even if he hadn't performed since their last Euro Final (which is rubbish) it's still a shorter period of time than since Scholes last performed.

what hype???? these were all said before he retired, at the end of the day, we're just fans these guys play the game. enough said really
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Paul_Scholes

s (http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Paul_Scholes)omeone show me a gerard list with such luminaries on it and ill begin to listen to any argument u have until then.......

Hibs07p
06-08-2011, 08:19 AM
And the score was 6-0 at a sell out Old Trafford. I wonder how much of the money raised will go to local charities?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/940320/man-united's-scholes-scores-in-testimonal-against-new-york-cosmos?cc=5739

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2011, 08:28 AM
Scholes has been a fantastic player for a long long time, he's played at the top all the time too, just slipping in standard a little over the past 2 or 3 seasons.

he's not quite the player he was now, he cant quite keep up with the best players now, but could still mix it with 90% of the premiership. i'd imagine that was why fergie wanted him to play on?

He never panicked, he always saw the pass. He retained the ball better than anyone, and chipped in with the odd belter of a goal.

I'd say he could be a thug on the park, he knew what he was doing when making most of his tackles. I dont think he'd be bothered if he was called a thug.

We never see him dive to gain fouls like Gerrard, and Gerrard is well known for his diving 2 footed challenges, he is also a thug at times.

Scholes is up there with the best English player there's been.

lyonhibs
06-08-2011, 09:46 AM
Am I hallucinating, or did someone say they'd take Gerrard over Scholes any day of the week??? :confused:

Scholes really can't tackle, and that's reflected in the stats. Some of his tackles were frankly awful, like in the FA Cup last season.

But his passing, shooting, touch, vision, control of the game are all absolutely unparelled by any English player since ??????????.

There's an boakworthy amount of hype over Gerrard and Lampard, but it's all bang on the money for Scholes. When you have Zinedine Zidane, the most gifted midfielder since Maradona, saying he's the best player he ever faced, you know we're talking about a special player.

And the best thing - he hasn't acted like a media whore, cheating scoundrel or general wastrel that 90+% of footballers these days do.

SquashedFrogg
06-08-2011, 09:59 AM
And the score was 6-0 at a sell out Old Trafford. I wonder how much of the money raised will go to local charities?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/940320/man-united's-scholes-scores-in-testimonal-against-new-york-cosmos?cc=5739

Erm, all of it. :agree:

Danderhall Hibs
08-08-2011, 11:18 AM
s[/URL]omeone show me a gerard list with such luminaries on it and ill begin to listen to any argument u have until then.......

Has anyone asked all these guys for a quote about Gerrard?

Am I hallucinating, or did someone say they'd take Gerrard over Scholes any day of the week??? :confused:

Yes - I Said it. He is better than him. Give Scholes plenty time and he can pick a pass - Gerrard can do that as well.

As I also said folk give him more credit 'cos he's a nice laddie and doesn't look for publicity and that.

Hibs90
08-08-2011, 11:40 AM
To say he would walk into any club side's starting 11 in the world is laughable though.

lucky
08-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Scholes is a better footballer than Gerrard for me. Look at what they have achieved in their careers. Capello virtually begged Scholes to come and play for Engerland, whilst Gerrard has been moved to the left side of midfield to accommodate Lampard. Scholes is the best British midfielder of his generation

sambajustice
08-08-2011, 12:14 PM
I'm priveleged to have seen him afew times in the flesh - in his prime he was easily as good as, if not better, than the likes of Iniesta and Xavi. Sublime and different class altogether.

:crazy:

basehibby
08-08-2011, 01:08 PM
Here was me about to add my plaudits to the list for the world's leading brand of odour-eaters and all I find on here is a load of schmoozing about some no mark manc'y fudley who's about to retire. But noone has asked the most crucial question which would truly mark him out from his peers - how many penalties has he missed for Engerland at the WC finals :confused:

Danderhall Hibs
08-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Scholes is a better footballer than Gerrard for me. Look at what they have achieved in their careers. Capello virtually begged Scholes to come and play for Engerland, whilst Gerrard has been moved to the left side of midfield to accommodate Lampard. Scholes is the best British midfielder of his generation

Scholes retired from England in the huff ‘cos he was also shifted to left-midfield. No disputing he’s won more than Gerrard, although I don’t think that’s down to him individually.

TheMentalHibees
08-08-2011, 01:56 PM

You're such a massive troll it's unbelievable.

Dashing Bob S
08-08-2011, 02:42 PM

Not to the Nou Camp if you're Paul Scholes.

Decent midfield EPL grunt with a good engine (alas no more), limitations generally exposed at big international or European games.

Pretty Boy
09-08-2011, 10:20 AM
Some people need to get the chip off their shoulders because Paul Scholes is English and played for Man Utd

In his heyday he was world class and easily deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as the great midfielders of today like Xavi, Iniesta et al. Even over the last couple of year when his limitations became more noticeable he was still a very good player.

Theres always these banal arguments comparing him and Gerrard but they were quite different players. While Gerrard is more likely to take a game by the scruff of the neck, Scholes tended to control a game, change the pace as he saw fit and keep things ticking over in the engine room. Both great players, both should be acknowledged as such, no reason to compare and argue about them.

CFC
14-08-2011, 05:33 PM
There's an boakworthy amount of hype over Gerrard and Lampard, but it's all bang on the money for Scholes.

How is the so called hype around Lampard unjustified?
He's a more prolific goalscorer than Scholes, a far, far better tackler and in his own right is a superb passer of a football (2nd all time in Premier league assists).
Lampard has won the Football writers footballer of the year award once (2005) I believe Scholes has never. In fact Scholes has never won The Manchester United player of the year award once but Lampard has won Chelsea's 3 times. Lampard finished runner up in the Ballon D Or award in 2005 what is Scholes best finish?
For England Lampard scored 3 goals in 4 games at Euro 2004 and was voted onto the team of the tournament, he was also England's highest scorer for WC 2006 qualifying, remind me what Scholes did in an England shirt?
Lampard is ridiculously durable having the record of consecutive outfield appearances in the Premiership with 164, he is the highest scoring midfielder in Premiership history with 139 and as aforementioned Lampard has more assists than Scholes. As far as great seasons go Lampard scored 22 goals and had 17 assists in the season when Chelsea won the double, what are Scholes best statistics?

Scholes only has the edge on Lampard in one area: bookings. Courtesy of the fact that Scholes is either: a) an incredibly poor tackler or b) is dirty, you choose. Otherwise their passing is on a par, Lampard is a better goalscorer, has a better workrate, is less injury/suspension and booking prone.

Scholes is a great footballer in his own right but to act like Lampard is overhyped is frankly laughable. Lampard has proven all he has to prove to anyone.

CFC
14-08-2011, 05:41 PM
According to this site Lampard has 85 assists (2nd) and Scholes has 44, so who is the better passer? Remember too that Scholes career started in 94, Lampard didnt make his Premiership debut till late 90s.

http://www.statbunker.com/football/ktg/index.php?PL=ktgalltime&Code=EPL&statType=assist

Sir David Gray
14-08-2011, 11:41 PM
How is the so called hype around Lampard unjustified?
He's a more prolific goalscorer than Scholes, a far, far better tackler and in his own right is a superb passer of a football (2nd all time in Premier league assists).
Lampard has won the Football writers footballer of the year award once (2005) I believe Scholes has never. In fact Scholes has never won The Manchester United player of the year award once but Lampard has won Chelsea's 3 times. Lampard finished runner up in the Ballon D Or award in 2005 what is Scholes best finish?
For England Lampard scored 3 goals in 4 games at Euro 2004 and was voted onto the team of the tournament, he was also England's highest scorer for WC 2006 qualifying, remind me what Scholes did in an England shirt?
Lampard is ridiculously durable having the record of consecutive outfield appearances in the Premiership with 164, he is the highest scoring midfielder in Premiership history with 139 and as aforementioned Lampard has more assists than Scholes. As far as great seasons go Lampard scored 22 goals and had 17 assists in the season when Chelsea won the double, what are Scholes best statistics?

Scholes only has the edge on Lampard in one area: bookings. Courtesy of the fact that Scholes is either: a) an incredibly poor tackler or b) is dirty, you choose. Otherwise their passing is on a par, Lampard is a better goalscorer, has a better workrate, is less injury/suspension and booking prone.

Scholes is a great footballer in his own right but to act like Lampard is overhyped is frankly laughable. Lampard has proven all he has to prove to anyone.

Eh...:confused:

Champions League winners' medals

Lampard-0
Scholes-2

English Premiership champions' medals

Lampard-3
Scholes-10

Frank Lampard has been a brilliant midfield player over the past 10 years or so but Paul Scholes is, at the very least, Lampard's equal.

I think it speaks volumes that Alex Ferguson wanted him to reconsider his decision to retire as he felt he still had something to contribute to the team this year, even at almost 37 years of age, and Fabio Capello also begged him to come out of international retirement last summer to play at the World Cup.

And when you get legends of the game such as Zinedine Zidane hailing Scholes as "the greatest of his generation" and as "my toughest opponent", who am I to argue with that?

Nando™
15-08-2011, 03:11 AM
How many of Lampard's goals have been penalties?

When all three have retired, I think Scholes will be regarded by the vast majority of the English-football-watching public, and by many of their fellow footballers, as the superior player.

Hibs07p
15-08-2011, 12:15 PM

Fair dos, and so it should.

LancashireHibby
15-08-2011, 12:38 PM
I'm as big an ABU as anyone, but to say Lampard is/was even half the player of Scholes is utterly ridiculous. He might have been a dirty get, but Scholes mixed it up with the best of Europe for both United and England. Lampard is just a penalty-taking, flat track bully.

CFC
16-08-2011, 09:10 PM

Lampard-0
Scholes-2

Lampard-3
Scholes-10

Frank Lampard has been a brilliant midfield player over the past 10 years or so but Paul Scholes is, at the very least, Lampard's equal.

I think it speaks volumes that Alex Ferguson wanted him to reconsider his decision to retire as he felt he still had something to contribute to the team this year, even at almost 37 years of age, and Fabio Capello also begged him to come out of international retirement last summer to play at the World Cup.

And when you get legends of the game such as Zinedine Zidane hailing Scholes as "the greatest of his generation" and as "my toughest opponent", who am I to argue with that?

The trophies argument has no merit unless you are suggesting that they could not have won those trophies without Scholes, I suspect they would have won them anyway. In fact I doubt United will miss Scholes this year at all, they will win the league I'm pretty sure.
Certainly nobody would use the fact that Del Piero has as many world cup wins, more Champions League wins (1-0) and more Scudettos (7-2) to suggest that he is superior to Maradona.

We are talking individual accolades here and that is where reality catches up to the hyperbole, no FWA awards for Scholes, no PFA Awards, no MUFC player of the year awards and no placings in the Ballon D Or and yet he is supposed to be the best midfielder of his generation?????????? It dosent add up. :confused:

As a footballer Scholes was great at knitting all those United teams together with his cerebral passing, scoring the odd goal here and there technique wise he was on a different planet. But lets not kid ourselves in many respects he was very limited: an atrocious defender (most booked player in Champs League history) and he couldnt beat players one on one with his dribbling.

AFA united players go I rate Bryan Robson far far better than him.

Albion Hibs
16-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Not even the most bang average of football watchers (.net fans) can argue that PS is anything but a fantastic footballer. To play for man u for your career and to have some fud from haddington have a go is nothing sort of laugable. The guy has league medals, champions league medals, fa cup medals, and carling cups medals.

lapsedhibee
17-08-2011, 06:36 AM
Not even the most bang average of football watchers (.net fans) can argue that PS is anything but a fantastic footballer. To play for man u for your career and to have some fud from haddington have a go is nothing sort of laugable. The guy has league medals, champions league medals, fa cup medals, and carling cups medals.

:agree: I automatically disregarded .sean.'s support of Scholes for that very reason. Laugable.

blackpoolhibs
17-08-2011, 07:28 AM
I dont need any stats, just my eyes when comparing players. Scholes every time for me.

RIP
17-08-2011, 10:15 AM

Stevie

This was a thread about a display for Ian Murray's testimonial - wasn't it.
:greengrin

Does anyone know what technique is used by supporters groups to create these sort of displays?

Danderhall Hibs
17-08-2011, 12:18 PM

Lampard-0
Scholes-2

Lampard-3
Scholes-10

Man U would've won those things without Scholes though.

I'm as big an ABU as anyone, but to say Lampard is/was even half the player of Scholes is utterly ridiculous. He might have been a dirty get, but Scholes mixed it up with the best of Europe for both United and England. Lampard is just a penalty-taking, flat track bully.

Lampard scored in the CL Final - wasn't a penalty either. Kind of goes against the grain of the flat-track bully penalty taker claim?

The trophies argument has no merit unless you are suggesting that they could not have won those trophies without Scholes, I suspect they would have won them anyway. In fact I doubt United will miss Scholes this year at all, they will win the league I'm pretty sure.
Certainly nobody would use the fact that Del Piero has as many world cup wins, more Champions League wins (1-0) and more Scudettos (7-2) to suggest that he is superior to Maradona.

We are talking individual accolades here and that is where reality catches up to the hyperbole, no FWA awards for Scholes, no PFA Awards, no MUFC player of the year awards and no placings in the Ballon D Or and yet he is supposed to be the best midfielder of his generation?????????? It dosent add up. :confused:

Indeed.

LancashireHibby
17-08-2011, 01:15 PM
Lampard scored in the CL Final - wasn't a penalty either. Kind of goes against the grain of the flat-track bully penalty taker claim?

Wow, well that completely blows my argument out of the water. One goal versus a player who spent 10 years outplaying opponents the world over.

Sir David Gray
17-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Man U would've won those things without Scholes though.

That's an argument that neither of us can ever win. We can't go back in time and take Scholes out of the Manchester Utd team and see if they would have won what they won without him.

The facts are that he was in the team when they won those honours, he was a constant in the Manchester Utd team for 17 years, during a time when they became the most successful English football team in the history of the game. When Ferguson was rebuilding team after team in that time and getting rid of players who he no longer thought could contribute to the team, such as Beckham, Stam, Keane and van Nistelrooy, Paul Scholes remained integral to United's success. That's something that has been said, almost unanimously, by his manager, his team-mates, the supporters who watched him every week and football pundits. And even when he decided to call it a day, at almost 37 years of age, Alex Ferguson still wanted him to continue.

I'm not questioning Lampard's ability, however when he retires in the next few years and people look back on the careers of both players, I believe that most people within the game will say that Paul Scholes was superior.

Danderhall Hibs
17-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Wow, well that completely blows my argument out of the water. One goal versus a player who spent 10 years outplaying opponents the world over.

I thought we were talking about Scholes?

It was just one goal but there are others - I agree that one goal doesn't blow your claim out the water - it just makes it look a bit stupid.

Still Gerrard is a better player than Scholes and I'm sure if the media asked Zidane that question he'd agree.

Danderhall Hibs
17-08-2011, 06:20 PM
That's an argument that neither of us can ever win. We can't go back in time and take Scholes out of the Manchester Utd team and see if they would have won what they won without him.

The facts are that he was in the team when they won those honours, he was a constant in the Manchester Utd team for 17 years, during a time when they became the most successful English football team in the history of the game. When Ferguson was rebuilding team after team in that time and getting rid of players who he no longer thought could contribute to the team, such as Beckham, Stam, Keane and van Nistelrooy, Paul Scholes remained integral to United's success. That's something that has been said, almost unanimously, by his manager, his team-mates, the supporters who watched him every week and football pundits. And even when he decided to call it a day, at almost 37 years of age, Alex Ferguson still wanted him to continue.

I'm not questioning Lampard's ability, however when he retires in the next few years and people look back on the careers of both players, I believe that most people within the game will say that Paul Scholes was superior.

There's no doubt that Ferguson rated him, probably for a couple of season too many. Fair play to Scholes - he knew he was gone and made the decision for him.

BTW is anyone "within the games" opinion always correct?

LancashireHibby
17-08-2011, 10:20 PM
I thought we were talking about Scholes?

It was just one goal but there are others - I agree that one goal doesn't blow your claim out the water - it just makes it look a bit stupid.

Still Gerrard is a better player than Scholes and I'm sure if the media asked Zidane that question he'd agree.
Now you're DEFINITELY talking out of your backside! Watch Scholes' performances for England in France '98 or during United's Champions League run in '99 (especially when they beat Juventus) and then come back with that statement again. Gerrard is a very good player in a hugely inconsistent team. Scholes was a top player in a top team for 15 years.

Sunny Leith
18-08-2011, 12:31 PM
[QUOTE=Danderhall Hibs;2888697]Man U would've won those things without Scholes though.

Not convinced this is true, I seem to remember Scholes banging one in from 30 yards against Barcelona to win 1-0 in a second leg semi-final 3 years ago. If he hadn't scored that goal you can't guarentee Man U wouldve won the Champions League that season.

I am Lampards biggest fan (seen him score many goals in the flesh down the years) however I sadly can't say he was a better player than Scholes.

In his prime he was a 15 goals a season player who could pick out any player on the pitch with ease.

RIP
18-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Stevie

This was a thread about a display for Ian Murray's testimonial - wasn't it.
:greengrin

Does anyone know what technique is used by supporters groups to create these sort of displays?

:hijack:

Display for Ian - any ideas?

Scouse Hibee
18-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Now you're DEFINITELY talking out of your backside! Watch Scholes' performances for England in France '98 or during United's Champions League run in '99 (especially when they beat Juventus) and then come back with that statement again. Gerrard is a very good player in a hugely inconsistent team. Scholes was a top player in a top team for 15 years.

Exactly..............would Scholes have been able to shine as much as Gerrard in a hugely inconsistent team? I think not but then again I suppose there is a couple of reasons why I could be accused of being bias.

LancashireHibby
18-08-2011, 06:07 PM
Exactly..............would Scholes have been able to shine as much as Gerrard in a hugely inconsistent team? I think not but then again I suppose there is a couple of reasons why I could be accused of being bias.

Like I said before, there are few people who are more ABU than me. I'd say it's easier for a player to look good in a poor side than it is for a player to rise above an entire side that oozes class.

CFC
18-08-2011, 06:55 PM
The facts are that he was in the team when they won those honours, he was a constant in the Manchester Utd team for 17 years, during a time when they became the most successful English football team in the history of the game. When Ferguson was rebuilding team after team in that time and getting rid of players who he no longer thought could contribute to the team, such as Beckham, Stam, Keane and van Nistelrooy, Paul Scholes remained integral to United's success.

Scholes made his debut in the 1994/95 season, the season before that United won the Double, the season before that they won the league and a few seasons before that one they had won the Cup Winners Cup. That Double winning side is considered one of the best sides in the history of the English game so they were winning BEFORE Scholes even played a 1st team game. They also won the Champions League final in 1999 WITHOUT him.

Giggs and Sir Alex are the only common denominators in all these succcesses and its no coincidence that they will go down as the best left footed player/winger and manager in British football history respectively.

CFC
18-08-2011, 07:00 PM

Liverpool won the 2005 Champions League on the back of a match winning performance from Stevie G in 2005, he scored one goal, won a penalty and got the MOTM award. All that is impressive even more so when you consider the AC Milan midfield of that night:

Seedorf, Kaka, Pirlo and Gattuso.

That Gerrard led Liverpool led them to that Champs league as captain is even more remarkable when you consider that the likes of Steve Finnan, Milan Baros, Traore and Harry Kewell were in the Pool team v the likes of Shevkencho, Crespo, Maldini, Nesta and Stam. That Milan team iirc had also knocked United out of the Cup that year.