PDA

View Full Version : Question Need help with my memory

HibsCan
04-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Any of the senior supporters remember this game?

Around 1969/70, I was 10 or 11 at the time.
It was a weeknight game under lights at Tynecastle, maybe a Scottish cup game. Hibs Vs. Dundee.
Limited substitutes back then, Alan McGraw got stretchered off but came back on with a heavily bandaged leg.
So much bandaging it looked like a cast and he could not bend his leg. I'm sure McGraw poked the winner in on the goal line for a 2-1 victory.
The rest is a little grey. Anyone remember? It was the Hibs V Malmo thread that got me thinking because I was also at that game...the powder blue strips still in my head.

Cheers

HNA4
04-08-2011, 04:26 PM

It was a weeknight game under lights at Tynecastle, maybe a Scottish cup game. Hibs Vs. Dundee.
Limited substitutes back then, Alan McGraw got stretchered off but came back on with a heavily bandaged leg.
So much bandaging it looked like a cast and he could not bend his leg. I'm sure McGraw poked the winner in on the goal line for a 2-1 victory.
The rest is a little grey. Anyone remember? It was the Hibs V Malmo thread that got me thinking because I was also at that game...the powder blue strips still in my head.

Cheers

9/10/68 League Cup semi-final...

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=3049

Golden Bear
04-08-2011, 04:30 PM

Cheers

Yip - I'm not sure of the year but I can still picture Alan Mcgraw bundling the ball over the line with his very heavily strapped/bandaged leg.

"Feed " Mcgraw turned out to be a better player for the Hibees than his son Mark.

Alan Mcgraw will always be looked upon as being a Morton legend rather than a Hibs one but he did score some very important goals for us.

hibbyhabit
04-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Its the 1st game i actually remember, although i had been going with my dad for 2 0r 3 years before that.

Its a little hazy but my memory is of Alan bundling the ball into the net at the old gorgie road end late in the game.

I remember thinking what a big crowd, we were in the shed, and its my first memory of a crowd going ballistic at a goal.

LeithBoozy
04-08-2011, 04:49 PM
He was a good goal-scorer and player, if I remember right Alan had to retire early due to being given too many cortosone injections in his leg. It was not unknown for clubs back then to abuse the use of them, to get a player playable. Alan ended up on crutches, soon after having to stop playing.

HibsCan
04-08-2011, 04:49 PM
Its the 1st game i actually remember, although i had been going with my dad for 2 0r 3 years before that.

Its a little hazy but my memory is of Alan bundling the ball into the net at the old gorgie road end late in the game.

I remember thinking what a big crowd, we were in the shed, and its my first memory of a crowd going ballistic at a goal.

Thank you HNA4 and GB for the great information.
It was a great crowd and I was that wee, a young couple picked me up and sat me on top of a barrier so I could see better.
Funny how I can remember those little details from back then but couldn't tell you where I was last week.

ronaldo7
04-08-2011, 05:10 PM
I remember walking back along Princes street with a big group of Hibbies singing "we're gonna win the cup", as we'd heard that Clyde had pumped Celtc in the other semi.

Oh well the Final was entertaining.

MM19
04-08-2011, 05:27 PM
I think Dundee scored first and Colin Stein equalised right from the kick off. We had used our sub when McGraw got injured and I think he was carried off and everyone thought there was no way he'd be back on. When he did come on he played on the wing and bundled on the ball over the line for the winner. It was a great game I think the final was postponed cos there was a fire in the stand at Hampden and by the time the match was played we had sold Stein and signed McBride - who was cup tied by Celtic and couldn't play. I'm sure John Madsen came back and played centre half for us too even though he had left us for some reason can't remember why though.

ronaldo7
04-08-2011, 05:41 PM
I think Dundee scored first and Colin Stein equalised right from the kick off. We had used our sub when McGraw got injured and I think he was carried off and everyone thought there was no way he'd be back on. When he did come on he played on the wing and bundled on the ball over the line for the winner. It was a great game I think the final was postponed cos there was a fire in the stand at Hampden and by the time the match was played we had sold Stein and signed McBride - who was cup tied by Celtic and couldn't play. I'm sure John Madsen came back and played centre half for us too even though he had left us for some reason can't remember why though.

Madsen was the only non scot to play in the match including subbies.:aok:

MM19
04-08-2011, 05:48 PM
Madsen was the only non scot to play in the match including subbies.:aok:

Had he left to quit football - I don't think we could have sold him (can't remember must be getting old)

Woody1985
04-08-2011, 05:52 PM
http://www.mrmemory.co.uk/

Sorry!

ronaldo7
04-08-2011, 05:54 PM
Had he left to quit football - I don't think we could have sold him (can't remember must be getting old)

Cannae remember masel:crazy:

HibsCan
04-08-2011, 05:57 PM
http://www.mrmemory.co.uk/

Sorry!

Thanks a lot :wink:

killie-hibby
04-08-2011, 06:04 PM
Was at this game. League cup semi final. Alan McGraw although badly injured played the remainder of the game as a winger. No substitutes in those days.

Feed McGraw
04-08-2011, 06:19 PM
With my user name It`s obvious that I remember Alan McGraw with real fondness, he was a wholehearted player who gave his all for the cause - especially on the night in question, it was real " Roy of the Rovers" stuff.

Come on all my fellow "senior" Hibbies`, let`s hear it : "Feed McGraw, McGraw, he`s ayeways oan the ba` Feed McGraw, Feed McGraw.

Franck Stanton
04-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Remember the game as well, McGraw was "Saint & Sinner " on the night. Shortly prior to him scoring the winner, Hibs "scored" but it was chalked of for McGraw being in an off-side position as he couldn't hobble back quick enough. The poster who stated the final was delayed was correct as there was a fire in Hampden stand thet year. Pity we got well and truly humped, hate that wee git Dixie Deans, was a long journey home for a teenager who was devastated.

CropleyWasGod
04-08-2011, 06:31 PM
Remember the game as well, McGraw was "Saint & Sinner " on the night. Shortly prior to him scoring the winner, Hibs "scored" but it was chalked of for McGraw being in a off-side position as he couldnt hobble back quick enough. The poster who stated the final was delayed was correct as there was a fire in Hampden stand thet year. Pity we got well and truly humped, hate that wee git Dixie Deans.

Wrong final :wink:

This one was 6-2, Dixie's was 6-1.

down the slope
04-08-2011, 06:32 PM
I think he knocked the ball in with his shin , i was at the other end and i remember thinking it was hardly worth him being on the pitch but it seemed the opposition thought the same and left him alone. I seemed to remember he got most of his goals from headers even though he was not the tallest , he had perfect timing and seemed to hang in the air before the ball reached him.

Jonnyboy
04-08-2011, 07:02 PM
I remember that goal as if it were yesterday. Tiny went wild in green and white :greengrin

Those were the days. Guy gets injured and plays on even though he ultimately paid the penalty for his bravery and struggled badly with arthritis. Nowadays we'd bring on one of seven subs and the injured player would be wrapped in cotton wool as he's carried to the treatment table. Bloody mollycoddled nowadays :greengrin

ronaldo7
04-08-2011, 08:04 PM

:agree:Lennox scored a hat trick in the 6-2 final. Eric Stevenson scored just as we were leaving at the end of the match.

Stantons Angel
04-08-2011, 08:05 PM
I was at this game also and remember the noise when he scored that goal. Dont think Tynecastle had heard noise like it then or since.

All the way along Gorgie road was buzzing with Hibs supporters throwing scarves in the air and singing at the top of their voices.

Pity about the final though, it was a really disappointing day, with more to come over the years.

Good memories never fade away!:greengrin

sahib
04-08-2011, 10:22 PM
I was at this game also and remember the noise when he scored that goal. Dont think Tynecastle had heard noise like it then or since.

All the way along Gorgie road was buzzing with Hibs supporters throwing scarves in the air and singing at the top of their voices.

Pity about the final though, it was a really disappointing day, with more to come over the years.

Good memories never fade away!:greengrin

I was at that game and by the time the goal was scored I was at the school end getting ready to leave. The goal was at the other end and it was difficult to tell who had scored. Final was a big disappointment.

lapsedhibee
04-08-2011, 11:11 PM

Did he not return to Scandinavialand to resume his profession as an architect of some sort?

I don't remember a single thing about that game except McGraw's heavily-bandaged goal and the subsequent asbestos-riddled celebrating.

mim
05-08-2011, 06:39 AM
I was at the game, but remember very little, although I was aware that it was McGraw who was credited with the goal.

Unfortunately, I remember more about the final. We left at 6-0 to get back to the car. We put the car radio on in time for the match summary, which was describing Hibs' second goal.

Perhaps it had finished 6-6??? :wink: Nah.

Caversham Green
05-08-2011, 07:23 AM

Wrong one again. :na na:

Dixie's was 6-3 - the 6-1 was a Scottish Cup final.

heretoday
05-08-2011, 08:19 AM
The final was a nice sunny spring day I recall. I think Celtic were six-nil up but we got two late goals to put some respectability on the score.

Celtic still had virtually the same side that had won the EC two years before.

lapsedhibee
05-08-2011, 09:01 AM
Wrong one again. :na na:

Dixie's was 6-3 - the 6-1 was a Scottish Cup final.

:hmmm: Watched Deans score a hat-trick in the 6-1 game. :boo hoo:

Caversham Green
05-08-2011, 09:59 AM
:hmmm: Watched Deans score a hat-trick in the 6-1 game. :boo hoo:

:embarrass My apologies to Mr God. He actually got a hat-trick in both those games. I saw both of them too, but don't remember much about the 6-1 game.

HibsCan
05-08-2011, 03:53 PM
:embarrass My apologies to Mr God. He actually got a hat-trick in both those games. I saw both of them too, but don't remember much about the 6-1 game.

I remember the 6-1 game a wee bit. We had a flat tyre on the way, I got a lift over at the gate and it was already 1-0.
5-1 when we left and heard goal six from outside the ground. I think Pat Stanton scored for Hibs....he went to Celtic a while after that?
There was a huge crowd...90,000+ am I wrong?

lapsedhibee
05-08-2011, 04:20 PM
I remember the 6-1 game a wee bit. We had a flat tyre on the way, I got a lift over at the gate and it was already 1-0.
5-1 when we left and heard goal six from outside the ground. I think Pat Stanton scored for Hibs....he went to Celtic a while after that?
There was a huge crowd...90,000+ am I wrong?

Right about the huge crowd (106,102), wrong about Sir P. The final was 1972 and he M8'd it in 1976. Alan Gordon scored for us.

MM19
05-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Did he not return to Scandinavialand to resume his profession as an architect of some sort?

I don't remember a single thing about that game except McGraw's heavily-bandaged goal and the subsequent asbestos-riddled celebrating.

That was probably the reason I knew he had left but couldn't mind why we must have been having trouble with centre halfs at the time as I remember him coming back and playing in the final.

lapsedhibee
05-08-2011, 06:15 PM
That was probably the reason I knew he had left but couldn't mind why we must have been having trouble with centre halfs at the time as I remember him coming back and playing in the final.

:hmmm: Can't get your memory to reconcile with what's on the iHibs site (http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player.php?playerid=743)! :nerd:

Jonnyboy
05-08-2011, 10:29 PM
Right about the huge crowd (106,102), wrong about Sir P. The final was 1972 and he M8'd it in 1976. Alan Gordon scored for us.

Over 100,000 at a Hibs game - I was there but a lot of younger Hibs fans thought I'd made that up :greengrin