PDA

View Full Version : When Hibs played Malmo

Jonnyboy
03-08-2011, 08:28 PM
Extract from the Foreign Fields articles in the dot net Euro Adventures series :wink:

For season 1970/71 Hibs went into the Inter Cities Fairs Cup having finished third behind Celtic and Rangers in the previous season’s domestic league. When the first round draw was made it paired Hibs with Swedish opposition in Malmo with the first leg at Easter Road in mid September. Hibs boss Willie MacFarlane was in confident mood when he announced his team for the game and as things turned out he had every right to be. A slightly disappointing first half still ended with Hibs 2-0 up but in the second period the Hibees played some wonderful stuff and by the time the final whistle sounded it was Hibs 6 Malmo 0. The crowd of just over 11,000 left the stadium that night in happy mood thanks to goals by Jim Blair, Joe McBride who notched a hat trick and a double from Arthur Duncan.

On the same night other British clubs had mixed fortunes with Rangers losing 1-0 away to Bayern Munich in the same competition as Hibs; Aberdeen beating Honved of Hungary 3-1 at Pittodrie in the Cup Winners Cup, that tournament also witnessing a narrow 1-0 home win for Man City against Irish minnows Linfield whilst in the European Cup Celtic trounced Kokkola of Finland 9-0 at Parkhead and Everton beat Keflavik of Iceland 6-2 at Goodison Park.

Two weeks later Hibs were in Sweden where the hosts gave a better account of themselves scoring twice through Larsson and Jonsson but Hibs went one better in scoring three thanks to Bobby Duncan, Pat Stanton and Willie McEwan as the tie ended 9-2 on aggregate in favour of the men from Leith.

Skanko79
03-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Extract from the Foreign Fields articles in the dot net Euro Adventures series :wink:

For season 1970/71 Hibs went into the Inter Cities Fairs Cup having finished third behind Celtic and Rangers in the previous season’s domestic league. When the first round draw was made it paired Hibs with Swedish opposition in Malmo with the first leg at Easter Road in mid September. Hibs boss Willie MacFarlane was in confident mood when he announced his team for the game and as things turned out he had every right to be. A slightly disappointing first half still ended with Hibs 2-0 up but in the second period the Hibees played some wonderful stuff and by the time the final whistle sounded it was Hibs 6 Malmo 0. The crowd of just over 11,000 left the stadium that night in happy mood thanks to goals by Jim Blair, Joe McBride who notched a hat trick and a double from Arthur Duncan.

On the same night other British clubs had mixed fortunes with Rangers losing 1-0 away to Bayern Munich in the same competition as Hibs; Aberdeen beating Honved of Hungary 3-1 at Pittodrie in the Cup Winners Cup, that tournament also witnessing a narrow 1-0 home win for Man City against Irish minnows Linfield whilst in the European Cup Celtic trounced Kokkola of Finland 9-0 at Parkhead and Everton beat Keflavik of Iceland 6-2 at Goodison Park.

Two weeks later Hibs were in Sweden where the hosts gave a better account of themselves scoring twice through Larsson and Jonsson but Hibs went one better in scoring three thanks to Bobby Duncan, Pat Stanton and Willie McEwan as the tie ended 9-2 on aggregate in favour of the men from Leith.

Nice post mate. How far did Hibs get that year and who won it? :aok:

Jonnyboy
03-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Nice post mate. How far did Hibs get that year and who won it? :aok:

We beat Viittoria Guimares of Portugal in round two but lost in the next round to Liverpool. I think Leeds were the eventual winners

Skanko79
03-08-2011, 08:36 PM
We beat Viittoria Guimares of Portugal in round two but lost in the next round to Liverpool. I think Leeds were the eventual winners

Cool, must have been a pretty strong Liverpool team if it was that era then? I was pretty sure it was an english team that won it. cheers for the info! :thumbsup:

R'Albin
03-08-2011, 08:37 PM
God how football has changed since then! Disappointed with 2-0 at half time!

You wonder how much Football will have changed in another 40 years time..

Jonnyboy
03-08-2011, 08:38 PM
God how football has changed since then! Disappointed with 2-0 at half time!

You wonder how much Football will have changed in another 40 years time..

It'll be refereed by robots, have goal line technology, Hibs at "Microsoft Easter Road" and Hertz at "Lothian Buses Big Pink Bus Shelter" :greengrin

Kaiser1962
03-08-2011, 08:39 PM
I have it in my head that the Malmo keeper was wearing glasses at ER? Can anyone confirm?

R'Albin
03-08-2011, 08:39 PM
It'll be refereed by robots, have goal line technology, Hibs at "Microsoft Easter Road" and Hertz at "Lothian Buses Big Pink Bus Shelter" :greengrin

:greengrin

Richibee
03-08-2011, 08:54 PM
Malmo, Vittoria Guimares and Liverpool - first three Europen home games I saw.
Followed by Sporting, FC Besa, Hadjuk Split, Keflavick, Leeds, Rosenberg, Juventus, Liverpool............
Great games and loads of goals. Now that brings back some great memories.

Jonnyboy
03-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Malmo, Vittoria Guimares and Liverpool - first three Europen home games I saw.
Followed by Sporting, FC Besa, Hadjuk Split, Keflavick, Leeds, Rosenberg, Juventus, Liverpool............
Great games and loads of goals. Now that brings back some great memories.

:agree:

Dunno if you've read these but if not you might enjoy a wee trip down memory lane :greengrin

http://www.hibs.net/list.php?category/4-euro-adventures

IberianHibernian
03-08-2011, 09:02 PM
I have it in my head that the Malmo keeper was wearing glasses at ER? Can anyone confirm?I wasn`t at Malmo game ( Guimaraes in next round was my first European game ) but there was an end of season friendly about the same time against a Dutch team ( Groningen ? Maastricht ? ) whose goalie was wearing glasses .

Jonnyboy
03-08-2011, 09:14 PM
I wasn`t at Malmo game ( Guimaraes in next round was my first European game ) but there was an end of season friendly about the same time against a Dutch team ( Groningen ? Maastricht ? ) whose goalie was wearing glasses .

Maastricht it was. We won 3-0 Johnny Graham, Alex Cropley and Kenny Davidson :thumbsup:

Kaiser1962
03-08-2011, 09:16 PM
Maastricht it was. We won 3-0 Johnny Graham, Alex Cropley and Kenny Davidson :thumbsup:

So Maastricht? Not Malmo? As long as it's not my imagination as I was just a boy at the time.

Jonnyboy
03-08-2011, 09:19 PM
So Maastricht? Not Malmo? As long as it's not my imagination as I was just a boy at the time.

Malmo was in the Fairs Cup and Maastricht was a friendly later in the year :thumbsup:

Edit: Just read your previous post - oops :greengrin

It was the Maastricht keeper IIRC

HIBERNIAN-0762
03-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Don't think it was Maastricht, was it not FC Copenhagen?, I was there that night and their goalie was clapping along with our songs

Jonnyboy
03-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Don't think it was Maastricht, was it not FC Copenhagen?, I was there that night and their goalie was clapping along with our songs

We played Copenhagen in October 1962 if that's the one you're maybe thinking of?

Kaiser1962
03-08-2011, 09:47 PM
We played Copenhagen in October 1962 if that's the one you're maybe thinking of?

I definitely wasnt at that one. :greengrin

Jonnyboy
03-08-2011, 09:48 PM
I definitely wasnt at that one. :greengrin

What???? Not even in the womb :greengrin

hibby al
03-08-2011, 10:43 PM
the nimegen goalie in 1975 ish friendly when harper scored five
had glasses or is my mind playing tricks

WindyMiller
03-08-2011, 11:29 PM
Cool, must have been a pretty strong Liverpool team if it was that era then? I was pretty sure it was an english team that won it. cheers for the info! :thumbsup:

Chelsea beat Real Madrid in the final.

I remember travelling down to Liverpool, the Kop was an awe-inspiring sight.

Gettin' Auld
04-08-2011, 05:37 AM
We tore Malmo to pieces that night..........They sure learned quickly though, by 78/79 Malmo had reached the final of the European Cup.

Ray_
04-08-2011, 06:07 AM
Malmo was in the Fairs Cup and Maastricht was a friendly later in the year :thumbsup:

Edit: Just read your previous post - oops :greengrin

It was the Maastricht keeper IIRC

Dave Ewing's last game as manager, we finished a poor season on a high, unlucky in a replay semi defeat byRangers [revenge in the following year's semi] & we played really well in the Maastricht game and of course Eddie Turnbull returned in July, hard to believe this was forty years ago:panic:.

MGmick
04-08-2011, 07:03 AM

I was there that night. Me and a pal travelled in, on our own, from Hyvot's. I'd have only been 9 years old. Were parents really irresponsible then or was it just a different world? I remember losing my autograph book out my back pocket on the Dunbar End very clearly but I always had it in my head that we won 7-0 that night and Joe McBride got 4 of them. Was there a dissallowed goal?

Gettin' Auld
04-08-2011, 07:56 AM
The teams that night - http://progs.fairlyoriginal.com/lazy-k-gallery/HM19700916/Image4.jpg

HIBERNIAN-0762
04-08-2011, 08:34 AM
The teams that night - http://progs.fairlyoriginal.com/lazy-k-gallery/HM19700916/Image4.jpg

Nice that mate! :thumbsup:

Gives me an idea for a separate thread

:hmmm:

poolman
04-08-2011, 10:56 AM

Jim Blair :confused:

Now the 70s was obviously one of my fav times to go and watch the hibbys but I just canny remember him

poolman
04-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Found him but still canny mind him

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Blair

Kaiser1962
04-08-2011, 11:12 AM

Now the 70s was obviously one of my fav times to go and watch the hibbys but I just canny remember him

One of the many JB's we had in the team around that time. A decent enough player but unfortunately for him we had much better at that time.

Ray_
04-08-2011, 12:56 PM

Hibs paid out £45K of the 80K we got for Peter Cormack to buy Jim Blair from ST Mirren. Blair was a bean pole type striker, who ended up pretty poor, espcially at the price we paid & the fact we got so little for the legend who he replaced. JB spent a season at ER before returning to St Mirren, for a much reduced fee of 18K. His most telling contribution was scoring two goals against Rangers, when we beat them 3-2, during a mid week game, at a very foggy ER.

heretoday
04-08-2011, 01:48 PM
One of the many JB's we had in the team around that time. A decent enough player but unfortunately for him we had much better at that time.

Blair was the 60s equivalent of Nish! Came to ER with a big reputation but was cumbersome and soon became the target of "the boo boys". When Joe Baker came home his tea was oot.

ancient hibee
04-08-2011, 03:44 PM
If my memory is right the Malmo season was when our interfering owner-Tom Hart-tried to pick the team-sacked the manager and turned the second half of what had been a really promising season into a disaster.Good job that sort of thing doesn't happen nowadays.

Jonnyboy
04-08-2011, 07:14 PM

Many would consider you the lucky one :greengrin

As others have said he came at a fairly high cost but was poor for most of his stay

ancient hibee
04-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Many would consider you the lucky one :greengrin

As others have said he came at a fairly high cost but was poor for most of his stay

Got Willie Johnston sent off though-so not a complete disaster.

Jonnyboy
04-08-2011, 07:53 PM
Got Willie Johnston sent off though-so not a complete disaster.

True :greengrin

Stantons Angel
05-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Strange reading this thread..............

I was also at the Malmo game at Easter Road and a thrilling night of football it was too.

I attended all the european nights mentioned too, some really brilliant football played. It reminded me just how many of these games Hibs had played in that period.

The last classic european night worth talking about in recent years was Athens at Easter Road. The skill of the players on show that night still sticks in my mind.

On the subject of BIG JIM BLAIR omg!! I was gutted when the club sold Peter Cormack to Nottingham Forest then tried to replace him with Blair!!! No comparison!!

The only thing i credit him with was scoring the two goals against Rangers and getting that wee pillock McDonald red carded. Oh dear he is one i prefer to forget!:rolleyes:

surreyhibbie
05-08-2011, 03:15 PM
My first 5 Hibs games had all ended 0-0 (only went occasionally) and I was due to attend the Malmo game with an older lad.

When I went to his door to meet up with him, he had a cold and didn't feel up to it.

I trudged home disappointed.

Then when I found out the result....:boo hoo:

O'Rourke3
05-08-2011, 03:34 PM
:thumbsup:This was my first European night and only my second ever visit to ER. First was a league game same season 0-0 V Hearts. I clearly remember the McBride hat trick and not thinking it strange that our CF had a spare tyre in the middle. Only 11,000 in the crowd, it felt bigger but maybe we were "at it" crowd wise back then as everything was cash at the gate.
Dunbar end with my pal and his grandad. Until we started going to games on our own it was always the Dunbar end and no changing ends at half time:rules: even though we wanted to.

ancient hibee
05-08-2011, 06:01 PM
Strange reading this thread..............

I was also at the Malmo game at Easter Road and a thrilling night of football it was too.

I attended all the european nights mentioned too, some really brilliant football played. It reminded me just how many of these games Hibs had played in that period.

The last classic european night worth talking about in recent years was Athens at Easter Road. The skill of the players on show that night still sticks in my mind.

On the subject of BIG JIM BLAIR omg!! I was gutted when the club sold Peter Cormack to Nottingham Forest then tried to replace him with Blair!!! No comparison!!

The only thing i credit him with was scoring the two goals against Rangers and getting that wee pillock McDonald red carded. Oh dear he is one i prefer to forget!:rolleyes:

A pedant writes "Johnston not McDonald-see earlier post!"

Keith_M
05-08-2011, 06:45 PM
.....The crowd of just over 11,000.

What a rubbish crowd. Was there a boycott or something?

I thought crowds in the olden days were all massive (or was my Dad lying to me) :greengrin

HIBERNIAN-0762
05-08-2011, 07:00 PM
There was always an element of the "aye right!" when we read the crowd after these games, all Euro games were well attended IIRC and there was always a rumour around the terraces that Hibs were...erm not being very honest about the gate.

Iggy Pope
05-08-2011, 07:20 PM

Under achiever at Hibs to say the least.

Passed away earlier this year.

greenginger
05-08-2011, 07:46 PM
If my memory is right the Malmo season was when our interfering owner-Tom Hart-tried to pick the team-sacked the manager and turned the second half of what had been a really promising season into a disaster.Good job that sort of thing doesn't happen nowadays.

Which paved the way for Tunbull's Tornadoes the following season !

You cannot make an omlette without breaking eggs. :greengrin

PapillonVert
05-08-2011, 08:56 PM

Aye, thems were the days, were they not?! Huge sigh!!!

:rolleyes:

PapillonVert
05-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Which paved the way for Tunbull's Tornadoes the following season !

You cannot make an omlette without breaking eggs. :greengrin

Thanks, Comrade Stalin! Dare I ask: do we have the eggs?

sven nil
06-08-2011, 04:57 AM
Chelsea beat Real Madrid in the final.

I remember travelling down to Liverpool, the Kop was an awe-inspiring sight.Did the hibs fans not take over kop that night?

Ray_
06-08-2011, 06:27 AM
Did the hibs fans not take over kop that night?

Nah, The Kop was outstanding, the supporters buses were invited back to their supporters club after the game & we had a terrific time, with "The Pool" fans singing Hibs songs & vice versa [I was far too young to drink though :(]. It was good to see the two set of fans get on so well, Liverpool had brought a sizeable crowd to Edinburgh for the first leg & there was trouble before the game started in the"Cave".

Black Kyle
06-08-2011, 09:35 AM
I'm thinking we also played Malmo in a pre-season friendly at ER around 1970 - my first game at ER?