PDA

View Full Version : Easter road changing name?

Hibee87
03-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Anyone seen the EEN yet? apparently a questionaire is going out asking about the possibility ofselling the naming rights to our stadium examples is - crabbies easter road stadium or a totally different name of a sponsor altogether.

What is the general feeling towartds this then, i understand the money we can make from this but i dont think i would like to refer to the stadium other that easter road. so a big no from me. Plus i cant see it making that much money from selling it

discuss?

Calvin
03-08-2011, 11:02 AM
Anyone seen the EEN yet? apparently a questionaire is going out asking about the possibility ofselling the naming rights to our stadium examples is - crabbies easter road stadium or a totally different name of a sponsor altogether.

What is the general feeling towartds this then, i understand the money we can make from this but i dont think i would like to refer to the stadium other that easter road. so a big no from me. Plus i cant see it making that much money from selling it

discuss?

If it changed name we would all still refer to it as Easter Road. The only change might be some advertising on the exterior of the stadium, and it being referred to something else on the match reports.

If it meant we could have a better team on the park, I'd be in favour of it.

Mikey
03-08-2011, 11:02 AM
It's one of the questions here.......

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?214875-*****Together-we-are-stronger-Hibernian-Questionnaire-(PLEASE-FILL-IT-IN)*****

Saorsa
03-08-2011, 11:03 AM
Doesn't matter what they call it, it'll always be Easter Road tae those that go there. If decent money can be made out of it I say yes.

Ryan91
03-08-2011, 11:03 AM
I hope we don't go down the route of selling the naming rights for the stadium. Easter Road Stadium sounds just fine, don't need a daft sponsor's name.

Gatecrasher
03-08-2011, 11:04 AM

discuss?

I think if hibs are going to make a decent amount from it then fine for me. It will always be ER to us, the only difference is that on SSN and other media will refrence the sponsors name as well

half.time.draw.
03-08-2011, 11:13 AM
If we want investment, which we all do then I would have no problem, we will always know it as easter road.
WonderHow much this could raise for new players?

Wotherspiniesta
03-08-2011, 11:15 AM
How can you put a price on the history of our club?

Resounding no from me.

Franck is God
03-08-2011, 11:16 AM
I'd happily sell the naming rights to the stadium, it will always be ER to anyone that visits it will only affect how it appears in the media. If it means more money to spend on players then go for it.

I think I'll refer to Tynie as the WPBS (Wonga Pink Bus Shelter) from now on.....

jacomo
03-08-2011, 11:16 AM
I think if hibs are going to make a decent amount from it then fine for me. It will always be ER to us, the only difference is that on SSN and other media will refrence the sponsors name as well

It would need to be both lucrative and long term, to make sense for both sponsor and club. Chopping and changing the official name of the ground every few years would devalue the sponsorship.

Arsenal's ground is at Ashburton Grove, but it's near universally referred to as the "Emirates" - however, this is a new ground. It will be interesting to see if Man City's controversial naming rights deal has the same effect. Will people really refer to the City of Manchester Stadium as the Etihad?

There aren't many examples I can think of where an existing stadium has been successfully rebranded - most people still refer to Parkhead rather than Celtic Park.

MCameron
03-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Exactly right - if we can make significant money that directly improves the product on teh pitch then I don't give two hoots what the stadium's called.

Dunbar Hibee
03-08-2011, 11:39 AM
I would be very much against this.

Dinkydoo
03-08-2011, 11:47 AM
No thanks.

This would be a major sell out on behalf of the club.

NOLA
03-08-2011, 11:47 AM
we will still call it easter road, if the money raised went towards the playing staff i'd be in favour

Stevie Reid
03-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Would be up for this if the money was good - as has been pointed out previously, only the media and club officials will have to refer to it by it's new name, it will always be ER to us.

Big_Franck
03-08-2011, 11:52 AM

Resounding no from me.

Exactly how I feel. I would be dead against renaming the stadium.

We could always rename east mains to include a sponsors name. I appreciate it would only bring in a fraction of the revenue that renaming the stadium would, but with the amount of mentions it gets on the official site and in interviews with players it might be something some companies would be interested in :greengrin

Joe
03-08-2011, 11:54 AM
I don't have a problem with it. Were all gonna still call it Easter Road it will only be a few changes on offical documents and newspapers and in exchange we will get hundred thousand pounds extra a year towards players etc. After all what sounds better? "Hibs beat Hearts at Craddies Easter Road" or "Hibs lose to Hearts are Easter Road"?

A minor change for a increased revenue stream.

down-the-slope
03-08-2011, 11:59 AM
If the dosh is right its money for nothing......

Reckon that East Stand would be better as its has no name as yet and as its opposite the camera positions would be great spot from sponsors view.....

Crabbies Stand......:greengrin now is that just a wee bit too Freudeiun :wink:

PS..liked that Crabbies deal for shirt is 3 with 6 & 9 year options....forward thinking

James70
03-08-2011, 12:08 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with it, the ground will always be Easter Road to those that count, ie the fans.

Any naming rights would be short term in comparison to our long history so any money we could get would be a great bonus as long as it was a very substantial sum.

It's not like we would be relocating to a new stadium or area.

Nakedmanoncrack
03-08-2011, 12:10 PM

Resounding no from me.
:agree:

PapillonVert
03-08-2011, 12:13 PM
There is a bonny fitba' team at ???????? they play. Would need to be something that fitted in.

Or, to persuade RP, something that echoed his values and strategy......like, erm..... The Poundstretcher Arena. :greengrin

Hee hee, only kidding. Nowt wrang wi' Easter Road (even if technically we aren't actually in Easter Road and it isn't part of our official address).

Beefster
03-08-2011, 12:17 PM
If we all want a better team then the club can't be rejecting income from sources like this.

No matter what it is branded as [temporarily], no-one is forced to use that name.

offshorehibby
03-08-2011, 12:30 PM
I would have no problem at all. To the fans it would always be Easter Road. for those in the no camp where are they expecting badly needed funding for the footballing side to come from.

J-C
03-08-2011, 12:32 PM
TBH I couldn't care less what they call it, it's still Easter Road to all the supporters, if it means earning a few extra shillings for the transfer and wages pot, then sell away.:greengrin

PeterboroHibee
03-08-2011, 12:37 PM
Not a big fan of this but as long as it wasnt something daft (like the Newcastle one with an @ in it), and we were getting good money for it that could be reinvested, would be fine with it. It would only ever be called by its official name during live games etc, everyone would still call it Easter Road.

ahibby
03-08-2011, 12:37 PM
We would notice a difference on Radio and TV when announcers would have to refer to the new name of the stadium rather than Easter Road. That does not bother me in the least and if it is a way of making money for the club then they should go ahead and do it pronto.

TamHibs
03-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Give us £400m and i'll consider it.....

jgl07
03-08-2011, 12:57 PM
It would need to be both lucrative and long term, to make sense for both sponsor and club. Chopping and changing the official name of the ground every few years would devalue the sponsorship.

Arsenal's ground is at Ashburton Grove, but it's near universally referred to as the "Emirates" - however, this is a new ground. It will be interesting to see if Man City's controversial naming rights deal has the same effect. Will people really refer to the City of Manchester Stadium as the Etihad?

They certainly will if only to annoy Man U supporters and rub in the size of the sponsorship deal. The name 'City of Manchester Stadium' never really stuck, the team had only been playing there for a few years. In any event you can argue that the City of Manchester Stadium name was a branding exercise in the first place by the City Council.

It would have been different if Maine Road had been renamed.

PatHead
03-08-2011, 01:01 PM
Couldn't care if we sell the rights unless it was something totally ridiculous like Carefree Pantyliners Stadium. I will always know it as Easter Road. Think Livingstone's ground has had umpteem names over the years but only know it as Almondvale myself.

wazoo1875
03-08-2011, 01:04 PM
Doesn't matter what they call it, it'll always be Easter Road tae those that go there. If decent money can be made out of it I say yes.

This

If Hibs could make a large amount of cash out of something like this then they could call it whatever they like. It'll always be ER to me.

CapitalHibs
03-08-2011, 01:05 PM
We maybe should be looking at getting East Mains sponsored, too:agree:

Nando™
03-08-2011, 01:14 PM
As long as 'Easter Road' was still part of the stadium name then I would be happy enough, depending on the kind of money it would bring in. However if it was named simply after the sponsor then I would be irked, it was easy enough for clubs like Arsenal because they built a brand new stadium.

In 20 years time I want to hear the next generation of Hibs fans talking about Easter Road and not the '[Insert Generic Sponsor]'s Stadium'.

basehibby
03-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Depends on the money offered and the terms of the deal - ie would it be in perpetuity or for a fixed term? Also no Man City style soul selling cock ups - eg. if they want to call it the Hertz Stadium then they can *#&! right off!

At the end of all that, as long as the deal is good I wouldn't have any objections as to me it will ALWAYS be Easter Road Stadium.

ArabHibee
03-08-2011, 01:22 PM
FFS, slow news day or what?
The lazy reporter at EEN has a look at the survey, picks out one of the questions and makes a story out of it.
Deary me.

basehibby
03-08-2011, 01:29 PM
FFS, slow news day or what?
The lazy reporter at EEN has a look at the survey, picks out one of the questions and makes a story out of it.
Deary me.

Don't think so - it seems to me that it's being seriously considered by the board (as it should be) - otherwise why include it in the questionaire at all?

greenlex
03-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Im all for it but it has to the right brand name. A global brand rather than a local one.
Guiness with a nice big Harp on the side of each stand would fit in lovely and keep in with our roots.

ArabHibee
03-08-2011, 01:51 PM
Don't think so - it seems to me that it's being seriously considered by the board (as it should be) - otherwise why include it in the questionaire at all? And what are you basing that assumption on?

pentlando
03-08-2011, 02:14 PM
There's three stands that can be named first for a set period of time. IIRC the South was the Whyte and MacKay stand for a while. This way we sell naming rights to stands but keep the stadium name :dunno: . I'm aware this won't raise as much as the stadium name but should still bring in a few pounds at least.

Hibee1
03-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Defiant NO.
I'd much rather stands were named after sponsorship deals than the whole stadium. Folk say that they don't really care about media using a new 'official title' but it's like giving away a bit of our identity. Keep up the history of Easter Road Stadium and say no to the sponsorhip re-naming, in my opinion. GGTTH.

basehibby
03-08-2011, 03:48 PM
And what are you basing that assumption on?

the clue's in the rest of my post

ArabHibee
03-08-2011, 03:49 PM
the clue's in the rest of my post To gauge opinion I guess. The point you are specatacularly missing is that the EEN are sensationalising the point and everyone's getting on their high horse about it.As I said, must be a slow news day.

ShanksSaidNo
03-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Defiant NO.
I'd much rather stands were named after sponsorship deals than the whole stadium. Folk say that they don't really care about media using a new 'official title' but it's like giving away a bit of our identity. Keep up the history of Easter Road Stadium and say no to the sponsorhip re-naming, in my opinion. GGTTH.

My thoughts exactly. Good post.

Arch Stanton
03-08-2011, 04:09 PM
I think it's a fine idea - in fact if there was sponsorship money involved, I'd change my name too!! :agree:

ancient hibee
03-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Money for old rope-grab it with both hands.

Lofarl
03-08-2011, 04:15 PM
Do you honestly think any revenue would be spent on the playing squad? Have you seen the price of moustache wax these days?

down-the-slope
03-08-2011, 04:56 PM
I think it's a fine idea - in fact if there was sponsorship money involved, I'd change my name too!! :agree:

Was just about to post the same...If any of the 'No Ways' were offered £250K (figure plucked out of air) to have their name changed for all legal and public purposes.....

Me where do I sign....no one I know would call me any different...even if I had to sign I. P. Squint. on legal documents :greengrin

Baker9
03-08-2011, 05:14 PM
We are the big team. We are the establishment team. Look to the future. Edinburgh Stadium for me.:agree:

Darth Hibbie
03-08-2011, 05:25 PM
Not got a problem with it as long as the deal was right for the club.:agree:

Viva_Palmeiras
03-08-2011, 05:31 PM
So sponsorship gives us dosh and the sponsor exposure through a change to the stadium name
Doesn't mean that the media and in particular one not driven by sponsorship themselves BBC -
Have to cowtow to the arrangement?

Woody1985
03-08-2011, 05:32 PM
Defiant NO.I'd much rather stands were named after sponsorship deals than the whole stadium. Folk say that they don't really care about media using a new 'official title' but it's like giving away a bit of our identity. Keep up the history of Easter Road Stadium and say no to the sponsorhip re-naming, in my opinion. GGTTH. It depends how much you care personally but do you really think that those who view the media coverage give a **** about Easter road?It might give the overall club some exposure aswell but then again, maybe not cos I know there's a kitkat stadium but couldn't tell you who plays there. And it doesn't make me want to buy kitkats!

Mary Hinge
03-08-2011, 05:44 PM

Correct :thumbsup:

DH1875
03-08-2011, 05:46 PM

Resounding no from me.

Everything in life has it's price. As long as the deal was right I'd have no problem with it.

Skanko79
03-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Terrible idea. Would maybe be up for them sponsoring a stand or something but as for the whole stadium....nae chance. Not a single penny of the money would be spent on developing the team either.

MCameron
03-08-2011, 05:52 PM
Think Livingstone's ground has had umpteem names over the years.

That's elementary my dear Watson ;)

snooky
03-08-2011, 06:06 PM
To gauge opinion I guess. The point you are specatacularly missing is that the EEN are sensationalising the point and everyone's getting on their high horse about it.As I said, must be a slow news day.

Selling our soul is a step too far for me.

What's next? Individual sponsers on the jerseys like the SUN pun headlines?
i.e.
"British Telephone" Booth
"Join the Army" Sodje
"By-Pass Valves" Hart
"Sweep your Chimney" Stack :bye:"

Naw, get the dosh somewhere else unless ER is being changed to "The Bill Gates' Investments Stadium" :wink:

MCameron
03-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Naw, get the dosh somewhere else unless ER is being changed to "The Bill Gates' Investments Stadium" :wink:

Any suggestions where we might get that large investment of cash? Money for investment is tight. Season ticket numbers are well down - just don't think we should be discounting any revenue making opportunities.

Niffy
03-08-2011, 06:28 PM
If the money was right , they could rename ER New Tynie as far as I'm concerned, it will always be ER.

Hate threads on any forum that end the OP with "discuss" though :)

snooky
03-08-2011, 06:35 PM
If the money was right , they could rename ER New Tynie as far as I'm concerned, it will always be ER.

Hate threads on any forum that end the OP with "discuss" though :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaheim_Ducks
This is the type of thing you have to live with when you sell your soul. Check out the classy badge. :embarrass:

Woody1985
03-08-2011, 06:43 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaheim_DucksThis is the type of thing you have to live with when you sell your soul. Check out the classy badge. :embarrass: Am I missing something? A team formed on a film then sells and there's a name change. Hardly a history there.

calamitus
03-08-2011, 06:49 PM
Depends how much we would get for it. £500,000 - probably not - £5million - definitely.

Like a few people have said - it's not like we'd actually call it the new name anyway.

coco22
03-08-2011, 06:55 PM
if you can sponsor a strip, a match, a player, a ball, a pair of boots - why not? for sentimental reasons would be a flat out 'no' however in todays corporate world, deals like this are and will continue to be part of the game. what else can we sponsor?:wink:

fat freddy
03-08-2011, 06:56 PM
if it brings in extra revenue then it has to be considered but i would find it hard to swallow 'The Buckstone Roofing Stadium' or 'The Action Scaffolding Arena'....the sponsors would have to have a bit of pedigree...The Adidas Arena or The Puma Stadium....something of that ilk would be more palatable.

Keith_M
03-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Was there much opposition from Hibs fans when Bukta first sponsored our shirts?

I remember the shirts being introduced but was a bit young to have any opinion on it.

It's the nearest I can think of to selling Stadium Rights. Maybe some people were against that as well :dunno:

Dashing Bob S
03-08-2011, 07:03 PM
Am I missing something? A team formed on a film then sells and there's a name change. Hardly a history there.

The Anaheim Duck's are synonymous with soul, Woody.

Not really. Couldn't give an Anaheim about those barstewards.

Houchy
03-08-2011, 08:23 PM
The Central Taxi's Stand??? Please god no!

I'd actually be quite happy to re-brand it for a good chunk of cash.

TonyMontana1875
03-08-2011, 08:59 PM

Resounding no from me.

I dont agree either. I hardly think it would get us the millions like down in the EPL. Imagine Welcome to Cash Converters Stadium or the likes. Yuck.

Kaiser1962
03-08-2011, 09:21 PM
If we all want a better team then the club can't be rejecting income from sources like this.

No matter what it is branded as [temporarily], no-one is forced to use that name.

This was among the things you listed a while ago was it not?

If so at least its positive and they might be listening. A good idea's a good idea wherever it's from. :aok:

matty_f
03-08-2011, 09:34 PM
It'll always be Easter Road to most of us, so if it brought in cash that gave us a better team to watch then I'm all for it.:agree:

Removed
03-08-2011, 09:41 PM
It'll always be Easter Road to most of us, so if it brought in cash that gave us a better team to watch then I'm all for it.:agree:

:agree:

Aubenas
03-08-2011, 09:45 PM

Although it's their Irish marketing title, it would be win win if we could get this as stadium sponsor.:aok:

Capt Mainwaring
03-08-2011, 10:11 PM
The primary aim for all fans is to get a winning team on the park. You need money to buy players and the more money you have, the better players you can attract.

If selling the naming rights for th stadium helps fund betters players on the park - then I've absolutely no problem with that at all.

You can call the Stadium or the Stands what you like (within reason) - it will always be Easter Road to us.

Big Frank
03-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Guinness Stadium.

Huge Harps on the walls of each stand. Extra big and brightly lit in green at the dunbar end

:devil:

The Harp
03-08-2011, 10:35 PM
Defiant NO.

I agree with you on this one. We have a history to be proud of and I certanly wouldn't want it cheapened to make a quick buck. Besides, in the present financial climate and with the dire state of the game in Scotland and the low profile of clubs outwith the OF, does anyone honestly think there is a company out there willing to offer a large amount of money for naming rights?

snooky
03-08-2011, 10:47 PM
Guinness Stadium.
Huge Harps on the walls of each stand. Extra big and brightly lit in green at the dunbar end

:devil:

Good for you!

:wink:

down-the-slope
03-08-2011, 10:57 PM
I agree with you on this one. We have a history to be proud of and I certanly wouldn't want it cheapened to make a quick buck. Besides, in the present financial climate and with the dire state of the game in Scotland and the low profile of clubs outwith the OF, does anyone honestly think there is a company out there willing to offer a large amount of money for naming rights?

You mean like we did with shirts...then shorts...then rear of shirts :rolleyes:

Carheenlea
03-08-2011, 11:17 PM
Let's be realistic here. What company in their right mind would consider ploughing money into Stadium naming rights sponsorship when everyone will refer to the stadium as Easter Road anyway?

Will never happen. If the majority of the answers to the questionnaire echo the sentiments on here, then it won't get taken any further I'd say.

snooky
03-08-2011, 11:28 PM
Question:

Will the name change be for a season (or maybe two) then changed to a new sponser's name or is the name of the stadium being hawked forever to one sponser?

:hmmm: I could almost accept the first option (for a sizable cash imput) but the second one is a defo no no for me.

basehibby
03-08-2011, 11:31 PM
That's the big question really - how much would we get?

It seems that BT have been sponsoring the main stand at Hamden for the last 12 years or so at a cost of c. 500K a year. Would we be able to get that much? Or could we even get more? And would that be enough to justify selling what is part of our identity?

It's a tricky one but personally I'd think 500K PA would be tempting - If I was making the decisions that would be the bare minimum I'd consider acceptable anyway. It sort of reminds me of the film Indecent Proposal - like how much would you accept to let Robert Redford pump yer mrs?!?

basehibby
03-08-2011, 11:33 PM
Question:

Will the name change be for a season (or maybe two) then changed to a new sponser's name or is the name of the stadium being hawked forever to one sponser?

:hmmm: I could almost accept the first option (for a sizable cash imput) but the second one is a defo no no for me.

From what I can gather these deals are usually over a period of ten yearswith options to extend.

jabis
03-08-2011, 11:47 PM
"Here's £10 million to call it the ""Starbuck"" Stadium for the next 10 years"

"thank you"

snooky
03-08-2011, 11:52 PM
"Here's £10 million to call it the ""Starbuck"" Stadium for the next 10 years"

"thank you"

Aye right .... wake up and smell the coffee!

:wink:

Beefster
04-08-2011, 01:34 AM
This was among the things you listed a while ago was it not?

If so at least its positive and they might be listening. A good idea's a good idea wherever it's from. :aok:

Indeed. The consultation seems to be looking to directly address a fair number of the complaints that I've made recently (not that I'm claiming credit for that).

The Harp
04-08-2011, 06:51 AM
You mean like we did with shirts...then shorts...then rear of shirts :rolleyes:

Are you seriously comparing shirt/shorts advertising with changing the name of the stadium to the highest bidder?!?

down-the-slope
04-08-2011, 07:15 AM
Are you seriously comparing shirt/shorts advertising with changing the name of the stadium to the highest

bidder?!?

:agree: whats the difference?...one is common place and you can't remember the time when it was not the case....the other is a new fangled idea that only a few have tried...

Personally i would rather have no sponsors logo on shirts as this affects every shirt purchase...naming the stadium would make no difference what so ever as it does not force supporters to call it that....

villager
04-08-2011, 08:00 AM
no problem for me selling full naming rights to easter road.

the club seem genuine in putting every penny back into the team and are focused on raising revenue from every angle i would not want to put barriers in their way.

we have enough heritage to afford a modern industry practice, which is all full or part naming rights has become these days.

bpw
04-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Think some supporters would genuinley be put off going by a name change - Petrie will doubtless say that will not cost Hibs more than what they get from sponsors but should bear in mind if worth deterring more fans a price worth paying.

PeeJay
04-08-2011, 09:07 AM
You can call the Stadium or the Stands what you like (within reason) - it will always be Easter Road to us.

It will be to me too, but - for argument's sake - say the idea is accepted and the stadium is called, e.g. "Scottish Widows Arena" - what will it be like 20 years down the road, maybe just the "older fans" would still call it Easter Road - I wonder if the younger fans who only know it as the "Scottish Widows Arena" would call it Easter Road, I'm not sure - and once the "oldies" have gone?

I'm against it, but then I'm against the whole merchandising/sponsoring nonsense and fans all wearing the latest tops: bring back paper rosettes, one scarf each and a cap - I'm also for reintroducing the "lift over"! :scarf:

Beefster
04-08-2011, 09:34 AM
Think some supporters would genuinley be put off going by a name change - Petrie will doubtless say that will not cost Hibs more than what they get from sponsors but should bear in mind if worth deterring more fans a price worth paying.

Eh? The performance on the park or the ticket pricing I get but the name of the stadium would stop Hibs supporters from going to the game? Really?

Are those fans willing to pay more to make up the shortfall that not selling the naming rights might cause? Or to continue to put up with the current investment in the team?

Removed
04-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Eh? The performance on the park or the ticket pricing I get but the name of the stadium would stop Hibs supporters from going to the game? Really?Are those fans willing to pay more to make up the shortfall that not selling the naming rights might cause? Or to continue to put up with the current investment in the team?:agree: that's what I thought as well. It's not as if anyone is proposing to change the name of the team.......yet!!

Bad Martini
04-08-2011, 11:13 AM
Bigger clubs than Hibs have renamed their Stadium and not disappeared into a void of nothingness now have they?

Plenty bigger clubs have actually RELOCATED (a move we were all RIGHTLY opposed too). However, if stuff like renaming the place gives us MORE cash for players (players, not other **** but players) then I am ALL for it. It HAS to be good.

How do we lose our history? Or anything else.

If a club like Liverpool can talk about moving from Anfield, their spiritual home and home to the Kop and plenty other memories and glorious scenes, in purusit of better facilities, more room and crucially more cash to compete with Man U, Chelski and Arsenal then why cant Hibs? We arent even talking about moving. Dalglish put it best "it doesnt matter where it is or what it's called...its the PEOPLE that make the club". Yes, he'll be sad to move if the Reds do move over Stanley Park....that can be countered though by a good few thousand more seats and the massive increase in money in = more cash = more players = more wins = yessss!

Now then, Naming a stadium and not moving? It's a no brainer. As noted, nobody would use the sponsors name anyway.

And finally, its NOOOOO even on fricking Easter Road....when I last checked, twas built on ground between Albion Road and Albion Place, moving into Hawkhill Avenue :na na::na na::aok::aok::greengrin

Bring on the cash. Bring on the players. Dont give a ratts ass what the stadium is officially noted. Be cool if we could get an uber cool sponsor, "Carslberg Stadium of Green" for example .. wi free beer :greengrin

ENDOF

Kaiser1962
04-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Now then, Naming a stadium and not moving? It's a no brainer. As noted, nobody would use the sponsors name anyway.

We're really selling this to any sponsors looking in :greengrin

Bad Martini
04-08-2011, 11:19 AM
We're really selling this to any sponsors looking in :greengrin

Yep. This is true...:greengrin

That said, IF Carlsberg adopt my suggestion, I could be tempted to start referring to the Holy Ground aka Easter Road aka "the stadium on Albion Road/Albion Place/Hawkhill Avenue :greengrin" as "The Stadium of Green" :thumbsup:

Houchy
04-08-2011, 11:22 AM
Scorpio Leisure Stadium:agree::greengrin

down-the-slope
04-08-2011, 01:23 PM
Scorpio Leisure Stadium:agree::greengrin

At least going to the gound would be sure to get your dander up every game .....

snooky
04-08-2011, 07:09 PM
It will be to me too, but - for argument's sake - say the idea is accepted and the stadium is called, e.g. "Scottish Widows Arena" - what will it be like 20 years down the road, maybe just the "older fans" would still call it Easter Road - I wonder if the younger fans who only know it as the "Scottish Widows Arena" would call it Easter Road, I'm not sure - and once the "oldies" have gone?

I'm against it, but then I'm against the whole merchandising/sponsoring nonsense and fans all wearing the latest tops: bring back paper rosettes, one scarf each and a cap - I'm also for reintroducing the "lift over"! :scarf:

Me tae - with nae age limit :greengrin

edwards
04-08-2011, 07:50 PM
Whats wrong with naming the ground so long as there is a big pay cheque to compensate.

As far as I am concerned there can only be one name for the ground.

Surely the 7UP stadium.

http://www.7up.co.uk/

edwards
04-08-2011, 07:53 PM
There is a bonnie fiba team at 7UP they play it even rhymes :rockin:

Keith_M
04-08-2011, 08:35 PM
I like the Carlsberg suggestion the best. Not only would the colour of the sponsor be right, the slogan painted on the outside of the stadium would be great

"If Carlsbeg made football clubs...."

:greengrin

Woody1985
04-08-2011, 08:58 PM
This is costing us money by not doing it.:greengrin

Hibercelona
04-08-2011, 10:03 PM
A big NO from me.

The stadium name is just as important as the team name IMO.

It's always been "Easter Road" and i'd hate to see that change in any way.

smurf
04-08-2011, 10:29 PM
To us fans it will always be in our hearts and mind 'Easter Road'.

So this is to me a complete no brainer.

We market the name of the stadium to the highest bidder.

The club simply has to maximise every single revenue generating possibility that they can.

Removed
04-08-2011, 10:32 PM
To us fans it will always be in our hearts and mind 'Easter Road'.

So this is to me a complete no brainer.

We market the name of the stadium to the highest bidder.

The club simply has to maximise every single revenue generating possibility that they can.

:agree: and spend it on improving the team

harrsi
04-08-2011, 11:29 PM
if you can sponsor a strip, a match, a player, a ball, a pair of boots - why not? for sentimental reasons would be a flat out 'no' however in todays corporate world, deals like this are and will continue to be part of the game. what else can we sponsor?:wink:

can we sponsor the tache?

harrsi
04-08-2011, 11:39 PM
More seriously... I'm of the opinion that it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world, a few extra pennies towards the budget in return for us all still referring to our home as Easter Road. Fairly certain that everyone still refers to the City of Manchester Stadium / Etihad as Eastlands

dangermouse
05-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Bring on the cash. Bring on the players. Dont give a ratts ass what the stadium is officially noted. Be cool if we could get an uber cool sponsor, "Carslberg Stadium of Green" for example .. wi free beer :greengrin

ENDOF

:greengrin

Sir David Gray
05-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Up to a point, I couldn't care less if the naming rights to the stadium are sold.

However, that's supposing that we get companies with decent sounding names. I wouldn't like to be going along to "KitKat Crescent" (former name of York's ground) or "The Balfour Webnet Darlington Arena" (former name of Darlington's ground).

SmokieJoe
06-08-2011, 01:48 PM
If its an opportunity to get some extra revenue, and although its unlikely to be as meaty as Man City's efforts, i'd say bring it on, on the condition its named '(Crabbie's)....Easter Road Stadium' style as spoken of by Fyfe in his HTV interview.

Future17
06-08-2011, 02:46 PM
Up to a point, I couldn't care less if the naming rights to the stadium are sold.

However, that's supposing that we get companies with decent sounding names. I wouldn't like to be going along to "KitKat Crescent" (former name of York's ground) or "The Balfour Webnet Darlington Arena" (former name of Darlington's ground).

Bradford currently losing at the Coral Windows Stadium. :greengrin

Edina Street
16-02-2023, 10:46 PM

discuss?

Personally I would have no issues with selling the naming rights to the stadium. We move onwards and upwards. Always improving, always changing for the better and keeping up with the times. Drum Park became Easter Road. What was the land called before it was Drum Park? Sure, Hibernian may lose a few supporters that are traditionalists and will refuse any change whatsoever, even if it is a change for the better. But Hibernian will gain more supporters than they lose when people begin to see that results have improved due to the added revenue having a positive effect on the quality of player Hibernian are able to afford.

Iain G
16-02-2023, 11:40 PM
Looking forward to watching home games at the McDonalds McFeaster Road Stadium

SaulGoodman
16-02-2023, 11:52 PM
Personally I would have no issues with selling the naming rights to the stadium. We move onwards and upwards. Always improving, always changing for the better and keeping up with the times. Drum Park became Easter Road. What was the land called before it was Drum Park? Sure, Hibernian may lose a few supporters that are traditionalists and will refuse any change whatsoever, even if it is a change for the better. But Hibernian will gain more supporters than they lose when people begin to see that results have improved due to the added revenue having a positive effect on the quality of player Hibernian are able to afford.

How did you even find this thread?

Edina Street
16-02-2023, 11:57 PM
How did you even find this thread?

I was going to make a thread about it. But before I did I was going to get some facts together, so I simply typed into google "Selling the naming rights to Easter Road Stadium", and the first thing that popped up on google was this thread. So instead of creating a new thread, I simply dropped my pennies worth on this one.

cabbageandribs1875
17-02-2023, 12:00 AM
11 years ago and still not got a name :greengrin interesting seeing the ones banned, the ones not posting anymore and sadly at least one poster no longer with us :(

Edina Street
17-02-2023, 12:06 AM
Looking forward to watching home games at the McDonalds McFeaster Road Stadium

The Big Mac Stadium
The Happy Meal Stadium
The Have a Good Day Stadium.
The 24 Hour McDrive Thru Stadium.

Or, perhaps something in the financial sector: The Capital one Credit Card Stadium.

Waxy
17-02-2023, 05:10 AM
A stadium name change should make a massive amount of money.
The type of money that doest seem to exchange in Scottish football.

04Sauzee
17-02-2023, 06:08 AM
I'm actually surprised we haven't sold the naming rights to HTC. Not sure how much it would bring in but HTC is used every week on the socials etc.

RIP
17-02-2023, 06:11 AM

A very articulate post and congratulations on finding this thread through a Google search.

I'm intrigued by your reference to 'Hibernian' in your post. Rather than say e.g. "the quality of player that WE are able to afford" I mean.

We don't hear our full Sunday name spoken by many supporters these days 🙂

Hiber-nation
17-02-2023, 06:28 AM
A very articulate post and congratulations on finding this post through a Google search.

I'm intrigued by your reference to 'Hibernian' in your post. Rather than say e.g. "the quality of player that WE are able to afford" I mean.

Yep all a bit strange.

Greenbeard
17-02-2023, 06:33 AM
I was going to make a thread about it. But before I did I was going to get some facts together, so I simply typed into google "Selling the naming rights to Easter Road Stadium", and the first thing that popped up on google was this thread. So instead of creating a new thread, I simply dropped my pennies worth on this one.
FFS man. You have no place on here. That is way to sensible an approach to take. Facts? Research? Not criticising a player, the manager, owner, or club?
Do you not know that you're meant to just post random knee-jerk rants on here and then slag off anyone who doesn't agree with you? :wink:

Hibernian Verse
17-02-2023, 06:44 AM
A very articulate post and congratulations on finding this post through a Google search.

It might be Ben Kensell. The display photo is from under the bridge at Tynecastle and in a recent pod he said that he would love to do that...then he's dragged up a thread about naming rights out of the blue...

DI Hibernian Verse.

Forza Fred
17-02-2023, 06:48 AM
Maybe because I live in Oz and stadium naming rights are an accepted part of the commercial side of things, I’ve got no issues with it.

It will always be Easter Road to us.

Always remember many years ago driving up to Brisbane to attend a game at ‘Suncorp Stadium’.

It was pre SatNav days, and when we got there we asked various locals directions to Suncorp.

None of them had heard of it, but it turned out, still referred to it as Lang Park.

Hibs4185
17-02-2023, 07:18 AM
I remember the furore when the SRU sold the rights to Murrayfield. It was the best financial deal for the SRU that saved them from financial ruin. People where up in arms about it being called BT Murrayfield. A few years later, it just sounds normal now and no one even cares.

Edina Street
17-02-2023, 07:20 AM

I love using the name Hibernian. An ancient name. The most glorious name in football. Hibernian is a name that we should "not" sell.

Greenbeard
17-02-2023, 07:34 AM
I remember the furore when the SRU sold the rights to Murrayfield. It was the best financial deal for the SRU that saved them from financial ruin. People where up in arms about it being called BT Murrayfield. A few years later, it just sounds normal now and no one even cares.
It works and is accepted because it is such a short prefix and still predominately Murrayfield.
I think it would be the same with something like "BP Easter Road" or "EE Easter Road". But not "The Marshall's Chunky Chicken Stadium".

Hibby70
17-02-2023, 07:43 AM
But not "The Marshall's Chunky Chicken Stadium".

Isn't that already taken by our neighbours?

Edina Street
17-02-2023, 07:47 AM

Hey, just think of the bad publicity that Hibs naming their ground the "Chunky Chicken Stadium" would generate. And you know what they say about bad publicity!

allyh1bs
17-02-2023, 09:57 AM

No. Theirs is called the Moscow State Circus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allant1981
17-02-2023, 10:03 AM
Yep all a bit strange.

Journalist!!

blackpoolhibs
17-02-2023, 10:11 AM
It will always be Easter Road to me, whatever company bought the rights and called it. In fact, the daft thing about this is the ground is not in Easter Road. :greengrin

Since452
17-02-2023, 10:14 AM
Wouldn't be against changing the name. It's only an name and will always be Easter Road to us anyway. If it brought in significant money then all for it.

Hibbyradge
17-02-2023, 10:22 AM
I'd support a name change if it meant more money for players.

I support Hibs not Easter Road stadium.

Diclonius
17-02-2023, 10:23 AM
Jesus christ, this thread is old enough to go to secondary school.

Since452
17-02-2023, 10:25 AM
Jesus christ, this thread is old enough to go to secondary school.

What do you mean? Calderwood out!

NAE NOOKIE
17-02-2023, 11:24 AM
Somebody said we might lose some fans if the stadium name was changed to accommodate a sponsor ....... really?

It would always be Easter Road no matter what sponsors name was chucked onto it. On that note I always thought we could maximize the outcome of such a move by attracting an out of the box sponsor like Durex or Preperation 'H' hemorrhoid cream.

The 'ribbed for her pleasure arena' or 'Pile park' would trip off the tongue :greengrin

Scotty Leither
17-02-2023, 11:26 AM
The ground will always be Easter Road to me, but I did suggest to Ben Kensell a while ago that we should tap up Rock Star North to see if they’d be interested…a global brand but with a local presence would be a good fit IMO.

Whether they would go for it would be another matter, but I’ve wondered why the club haven’t considered selling naming rights to the stadium before.

Edina Street
17-02-2023, 11:30 AM
The ground will always be Easter Road to me, but I did suggest to Ben Kensell a while ago that we should tap up Rock Star North to see if they’d be interested…a global brand but with a local presence would be a good fit IMO.

Whether they would go for it would be another matter, but I’ve wondered why the club haven’t considered selling naming rights to the stadium before.

They have. The current regime "are" considering it. This is why I resurrected this thread.
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/big-hibs-interview-commercial-director-greg-mcewan-3583173

Though I do believe Greg McEwan departed in 2022.

Hibernian Verse
17-02-2023, 11:35 AM

I always thought the owner was a Dundee fan. I'm not sure where I've seen that.

A Hi-Bee
17-02-2023, 12:29 PM
If it puts a better team on the pitch who cares what the stadium is called. Easter Road is Easter Road and the ground is no in Easter Rd.
:thumbsup:

Renfrew_Hibby
17-02-2023, 12:40 PM
The income provided would be invaluable and although it would always be Easter Road to us it wouldn't be in the media or wherever the stadium might be referenced.

With that in mind the name and both the standing and purpose of the company involved is important.

'The Emirates' for example exudes class, quality and resonates beyond fans of just Arsenal. Whereas we can all laugh at the Simple Digital or some of the daft names we've seen at Hamilton or various other clubs.

I'm sure a club of our standing, in a prominent city such as Edinburgh would be able to attract a suitable name from a high calibre brand.

Done correctly not only would it provide further income but would enhance our image and brand beyond our own fan base.

Alex Trager
19-02-2023, 09:24 PM
https://twitter.com/OfficialBWFC/status/1627276859284025345?t=SyzeEDHzv9W08YpsO3D4yw&s=08

Hopefully we avoid going down this route

Hibernia&Alba
19-02-2023, 09:37 PM
https://twitter.com/OfficialBWFC/status/1627276859284025345?t=SyzeEDHzv9W08YpsO3D4yw&s=08

I don't do Twitter, so I am assume that's a fake account :greengrin

HendoDelivered
19-02-2023, 09:48 PM
No thanks.

Sylar
19-02-2023, 09:49 PM

100% real :greengrin

You don't like it? Toughsheet...

AgentDaleCooper
19-02-2023, 09:49 PM

...it's not fake :dizzy:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/feb/19/dont-like-it-its-toughsheet-bolton-announce-new-stadium-sponsor

NAE NOOKIE
19-02-2023, 09:53 PM

That is absolutely brilliant !!!

I'm literally crying with laughter, please let it be true :faf:

Hibernia&Alba
19-02-2023, 09:54 PM
...it's not fake :dizzy:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/feb/19/dont-like-it-its-toughsheet-bolton-announce-new-stadium-sponsor

100% real :greengrin

You don't like it? Toughsheet...

I thought it had to be a wind up. What are they doing? :greengrin

Alfiembra
20-02-2023, 07:23 AM
With the amount of sending offs this season should we rename Easter Road…………Easter Red???

gbhibby
21-02-2023, 08:09 PM
https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/11277920
This company should be allowed buy the naming rights. It would be Holy Ground Easter Road

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk

gbhibby
21-02-2023, 08:12 PM
https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/NI033997
This company would be ideal as well

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk

Colr
21-02-2023, 08:15 PM
Why not flip the equation? Copyright the name then license it out.

Easter Road Gin, anyone?

Bronson
21-02-2023, 08:15 PM
I don’t care how much the sponsorship deal is, Easter Road should NEVER be renamed. Some things are more important than having a few extra quid in the transfer budget

Green Reaper
22-02-2023, 10:01 AM
Could go the charity route:

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/CE014967

😁

Wilson
22-02-2023, 10:09 AM
Wouldn't be against changing the name. It's only an name and will always be Easter Road to us anyway. If it brought in significant money then all for it.

There will be hibs fans born into a succession of sponsor name changes. It'll never be Easter Road to them. Fair enough if you think it's meaningless.

For the money we'd get I wouldn't bother. It is another income stream but it won't turn us into Barcelona.

NAE NOOKIE
22-02-2023, 01:38 PM
There will be hibs fans born into a succession of sponsor name changes. It'll never be Easter Road to them. Fair enough if you think it's meaningless.

For the money we'd get I wouldn't bother. It is another income stream but it won't turn us into Barcelona.

Bloody hope not, they're skint :greengrin

Vini1875
22-02-2023, 04:49 PM
No from me.

It's alright for the likes of Livi to change their stadium's name every ten minutes, but to me not everything should be for sale at Hibs. I get that we need to maximise revenue but the stadium's name should remain. I wouldn't want to go down the Red Bull route either, no matter how much money was available. Some things just shouldn't have a price.

Keith_M
25-02-2023, 08:22 AM
The perfect sponsors*

"Hibernian Insurance Company"
https://insurancehistory.cii.co.uk/collections_firemark/hibernian-insurance-company-5/

Welcome to Hibernian Stadium!

* Or at least they would have been, if Aviva hadn't renamed them in 2008 ;-)

Iain G
25-02-2023, 08:26 AM
Maybe we could get George Clooney to sponsor us? Welcome to ER....

Bridge hibs
25-02-2023, 08:54 AM
No from me.

It's alright for the likes of Livi to change their stadium's name every ten minutes, but to me not everything should be for sale at Hibs. I get that we need to maximise revenue but the stadium's name should remain. I wouldn't want to go down the Red Bull route either, no matter how much money was available. Some things just shouldn't have a price.It honestly wouldnt bother me. Easter Road has changed beyond recognition since I attended my first game. The location to me has more importance than a name, Easter Road stadium will always be Easter Road stadium to me

I dont get an emotional attachment to bricks, mortar, steel and plastic. I sold our lovely home after my bairns grew up and left, a house that I pretty much rebuilt and turned into a cosy, comfortable and safe home where I created many fantastic memories seeing my bairns grow up. When the day came to sell up and downsize and move it didnt bother me or my family, memories were great but it was only bricks and mortar

The memories will always be with us. Easter Road is the same, Ive had some great and some not so great memories, as long as I can jump on a bus to go see a game at Easter Road stadium then I will be happy

Hibbyradge
25-02-2023, 09:55 AM
I support the team and the players, not the name of the place they play.

If we can get money for allowing the media to call the stadium something other than the name a street that it's not on, I'd bite their hands off.