PDA

View Full Version : Moving into a new flat what to do?

Sean1875
02-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Just moved into my new flat today and was wondering what I should be doing in terms of setting up internet, telly, electricity etc. as i dont have a clue! any help would be appreciated.

ArabHibee
02-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Is your bed made? That's the most important thing imo.

Sean1875
02-08-2011, 08:46 PM
Is your bed made? That's the most important thing imo.
First thing I got my mum to do when she helped me move my stuff :greengrin

Allant1981
02-08-2011, 09:16 PM
There will prob be an account set up with an electricity company from previous tenants/owners so just compare them to other companies. Price sky for your internet and telly. Not everyones fave choice but we have never had any problems with sky and the price isnt to bad. Thirdly get the invites out to everyone for the hoose warming. .Net members being invited first!!

Wembley67
02-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Make sure your neighbours can't see through your windows when you are having 'you' time.

1two
02-08-2011, 10:05 PM
Make sure your neighbours can't see through your windows when you are having 'you' time.

:agree:
Then 'christen' the house!

HibbyAndy
02-08-2011, 10:06 PM

:tee hee:

:top marks

Hibrandenburg
03-08-2011, 05:46 AM

On my mobile so can't give that post the smiley it deserves. On the up side at least I didn't spit my coffee over my PC :-)

Wembley67
03-08-2011, 06:37 AM
It's because all us blokes know it's true :greengrin

Speedy
03-08-2011, 07:08 AM
Set up a quidco account and go through that when you sign up for Virgin/Sky and/or changing your gas&electric(if you decide to do so - The Npower Football Saver 3 is good if you want a direct debit, it takes ages to switch but it has no cancellation fee which is very good)

Edit: If you haven't already done so I'd take photos of everything. This will be useful when it comes to moving out.

Westie1875
03-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Just moved into my new flat today and was wondering what I should be doing in terms of setting up internet, telly, electricity etc. as i dont have a clue! any help would be appreciated.

Phone the council and advise them the date you moved in so that you don't get lumbered with the CT bill for those that stayed there before you. Do the same with the gas & electricity (you'll need to try and find out who the account is set up with first) and give them a reading from the meters.

Sky do a good deal for tv, interet and phone together so I'd try them but get a few quotes before deciding. Remember your tv licence too!

Also, get your insurance sorted out if you haven't already done so, shop around for this too as prices vary wildly in my experience.

discman
03-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Phone the council and advise them the date you moved in so that you don't get lumbered with the CT bill for those that stayed there before you. Do the same with the gas & electricity (you'll need to try and find out who the account is set up with first) and give them a reading from the meters.

Sky do a good deal for tv, interet and phone together so I'd try them but get a few quotes before deciding. Remember your tv licence too!

Also, get your insurance sorted out if you haven't already done so, shop around for this too as prices vary wildly in my experience.

Everything on here, but check out Virgin Media there doing phone, internet, and tv for half price for 6 months then it'll cost you £33.95 :greengrin

Oh and good luck,know how to work a microwave! :greengrin

HibbyAndy
03-08-2011, 04:42 PM
Also get a toastie machine as you can get away with toasties for brekkie lunch dinner and supper till you work out how to cook.

Speedy
04-08-2011, 10:03 PM

I personally wouldn't bother with insurance in rented accomodation, waste of money in my opinion.

Very good point about council tax, they are hard work so it's definitely worth chasing up as soon as possible.

marinello59
04-08-2011, 10:09 PM
I personally wouldn't bother with insurance in rented accomodation, waste of money in my opinion.

Very good point about council tax, they are hard work so it's definitely worth chasing up as soon as possible.

Unless you get broken in to. Then it's worth every penny. Burglars don't differntiate between private and rented property.

jonty
04-08-2011, 10:30 PM
Have you got a telly?
Free to good home :)

marinello59
05-08-2011, 09:16 AM
Have you got a telly?
Free to good home :)

How much to a bad home?

jonty
05-08-2011, 10:50 AM
How much to a bad home?
you have to take two.

ArabHibee
05-08-2011, 11:58 AM
I personally wouldn't bother with insurance in rented accomodation, waste of money in my opinion.Very good point about council tax, they are hard work so it's definitely worth chasing up as soon as possible.Can you give a reason as to why it is a waste of money? Genuinely interested to hear why you think that.

Westie1875
05-08-2011, 01:32 PM
Can you give a reason as to why it is a waste of money? Genuinely interested to hear why you think that.

Me too, unless the plan is to keep all of your belongings elsewhere or you're so rich that you don't care about losing everything via burglary/fire etc. then contents insurance is surely needed?

skyehibee
05-08-2011, 03:47 PM
I never had insurance when i had my flat not long ago, luckily had no problems though... Its up to yourself at the end of the day if you think its worth the risk. Also depends how much stuff you took with you etc. For example i was renting a fully furnished flat so i had alot of stuff still at my mums house, so therefore didnt really have much stuff of huge value in the flat apart from my ipod, tv and laptop.

lyonhibs
05-08-2011, 06:16 PM
Also get a toastie machine as you can get away with toasties for brekkie lunch dinner and supper till you work out how to cook.

...........which may not be until your early 40's, eh........??????? :greengrin

Speedy
06-08-2011, 12:45 AM
Can you give a reason as to why it is a waste of money? Genuinely interested to hear why you think that.

Yes, since I moved out of uni halls(which I never had insurance for btw) I lived in a flat for 3 years. I never had insurance at any time and never needed it, I never had anything valued over £100 apart from my laptop.

For the last 6 months I have had to have minimal contents insurance(at £58 a year or so), it only really covers fire and theft and even then the excess is ridiculous.

We only had the insurance we have because it was a part of the agreement we have with our landlord(I doubt the legality of this agreement as well) and to be honest I think it's a rip off.

I know how much insurance companies make and that fact alone tells me that they are not good value for money.

ArabHibee
06-08-2011, 08:30 PM
That's fair enough Deano, I can see your point if you are living in furnished accommodation and, as you say, nothing much in the flat individually cost over £100.
What I would say though is I speak from personal experience of a fire when moving into a new house. No furniture or clothes had been moved in, just all the little bits and bobs that could be moved by car. Believe me, it soon mounts up and when my claim was settled, it was to the tune of nearly £5,000.
So I would always advise folk to take out contents insurance.

Sean1875
08-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Cheers to everyone for their help, even Wembley :wink:

Ill have a wee look around for insurance, better safe than sorry and atleast it takes any worries away incase something happens.

In terms of the council tax though, im a student at Dundee uni just now, does that make me exempt from paying council tax? Sure i heard that somewhere but could just be imagining things.

ArabHibee
08-08-2011, 12:25 PM
Cheers to everyone for their help, even Wembley :wink:Ill have a wee look around for insurance, better safe than sorry and atleast it takes any worries away incase something happens.In terms of the council tax though, im a student at Dundee uni just now, does that make me exempt from paying council tax? Sure i heard that somewhere but could just be imagining things. You need to check this page out:

http://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/finance/studentscounciltax/

Sean1875
08-08-2011, 02:00 PM
You need to check this page out:

http://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/finance/studentscounciltax/
Cheers Arab, sorted!