PDA

View Full Version : Bundesliga Games

Austinho
02-08-2011, 04:42 PM
Hi all,

Going to Amsterdam in a few weeks, and looking to travel to a game in West Germany while I'm over there. The options I have are:

Borussia Dortmund v Nuremberg
Koln v Kaiserslautern,
VfB Stuttgart v Bayer Leverkusen
Werder Bremen v SC Freiburg

I've always wanted to go to Westfalenstadion, so will probably try that one first, but has anyone been to any of these grounds, and would recommend a different game?

Also, if anyone has done it before, how would I go about getting tickets to the game? Bit of a spontaneous trip and I've left it a bit late, hopefully there will still be tickets left.

NRW_Hibbie
02-08-2011, 04:55 PM
I've been to Borussia Dortmund a few times. It's am awesome experience, especially if you have a good view of the 25,000 capacity terrace at the South end of the ground (you'll have zero chance of getting a ticket for the terrace with it being season ticket only). There are still plenty of tickets in the remainder of the ground. Follow the link below:

https://www.eventimsports.de/shops/index.php3?shopid=20

PeeJay
02-08-2011, 04:59 PM
Here's a link to an English language site with ticketing for Bundesliga games
http://www.viagogo.co.uk/Sports-Tickets/Football/International-Football/German-1-Bundesliga/Borussia-Dortmund-Tickets

I'd try for the Dortmund game - I've never been to a Borussia game, but everyone I know who has been says it's an amazing experience. Good luck with the tickets!

Hibrandenburg
02-08-2011, 05:23 PM
The Köln v Kaiserslautern game would be a good alternative. They've got a cracking wee stadium and Köln is definately the better option for a few bevvies after the game. If you want to stop drinking then don't forget to put your beer mat on your glass, otherwise the waiter will keep bringing you fresh ones. God I love it here :-)

Austinho
02-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Just checked the trains, and despite not being too far from one another – Amsterdam to Dortmund (and the other West German cities for that matter) seems to take around 5 hours on the train, with 2 changes. Is there a better way of traveling?

Lost_Mackem
02-08-2011, 05:52 PM
Always been an ambition of mine to go to a Dortmund game, just to see the "yellow wall". Would highly recommend the experience mate, Dortmund are obviously a great team aswell being German champions and I think its something you would look back fondly on in the future.

(((Fergus)))
02-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Definitely Dortmund. Great stadium and good combination of teams (current champion vs. 6th place).

Stuttgart v Leverkusen would also be good but it is a lot further away and the stadium is one of those with a running track (bit like Hampden).

Hibrandenburg
02-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Try organising a lift through the www.mitfahrzentrale.de Probably the cheapest and quickest way to move about.

jakki
02-08-2011, 06:30 PM
When I lived in Cologne, I went to their games. Then it was PATG and I showed my Hibernian Programme Seller pass and got in as a student every time! :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-08-2011, 06:43 PM
Was at the Germany v Scotland game in Dortmund, the stadium is magic, Koln has far superior pre-post match options though!

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Just checked the trains, and despite not being too far from one another – Amsterdam to Dortmund (and the other West German cities for that matter) seems to take around 5 hours on the train, with 2 changes. Is there a better way of traveling? I flew from Cologne to Blighty after the last Scotland game in The Dam, the train to Cologne took nowhere near that length of time though. Try booking the ICE Train.

DC_Hibs
02-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Think you've got a bit of research to do MrAustin.

The faster trains that wont make it a marathon journey would be fairly expensive as the cheap fares will be gone so close to the date. The cheaper weekend tickets or suchlike would take you an age. Realistically, train is the best option but youll be paying well over 100euros.

Cologne is the later Saturday game so you'd be looking for a train back around 9pm or to stay overnight?

Stuttgart would be some journey from Amsterdam!! They no longer have a running track by the way. Over the last few seasons they demolished both ends of the ground and built them closer to the pitch, then lowered the pitch and put in extra rows along the side. Good job - http://www.mercedes-benz-arena.de/live.html

Dortmund would be your best bet as its the easiest journey - (closer anyway but two changes needed, cologne has a direct train but very dear) - check bahn.com for info
https://www.eventimsports.de/shops/index.php3?shopid=20 - can order then print ticket and scan the barcode at the gate (mind yer kilt pal eh.......)

DaveF
02-08-2011, 07:07 PM
The Köln v Kaiserslautern game would be a good alternative. They've got a cracking wee stadium and Köln is definately the better option for a few bevvies after the game. If you want to stop drinking then don't forget to put your beer mat on your glass, otherwise the waiter will keep bringing you fresh ones. God I love it here :-)

I'm going over to Cologne for a gig (or Koln - damn, can't get that thing over the o :greengrin) in September when they are scheduled to play Hoffenheim.

Do you think that

1. It'll be all ticket?
2. It'll be moved away from saturday for the telly?

Carheenlea
02-08-2011, 07:23 PM
I'm going over to Cologne for a gig (or Koln - damn, can't get that thing over the o :greengrin) in September when they are scheduled to play Hoffenheim.

Do you think that

1. It'll be all ticket?
2. It'll be moved away from saturday for the telly?

Your avatar doesn't suggest a Specials fan :wink:

I'm heading over for that with a few of the lads, and we will be going to the football while we are there. The match is on the Sunday, but should still be within plenty time to get to airport for the flight to Edinburgh. A mate is taking care of tickets so not sure of details. He mailed the club for info.

Jonnyboy
02-08-2011, 07:23 PM

:agree:

Also, you can buy tickets at the tourist advice office! I did when I was there and then got a tram right to the stadium which has an amazing atmosphere. If you go, listen out for the club song which just about everyone in the stadium sings just before kick off

DaveF
02-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Your avatar doesn't suggest a Specials fan :wink:

I'm heading over for that with a few of the lads, and we will be going to the football while we are there. The match is on the Sunday, but should still be within plenty time to get to airport for the flight to Edinburgh. A mate is taking care of tickets so not sure of details. He mailed the club for info.

I'm just tagging along :greengrin

We are actually on the early sunday flight back to EDI :bevvied!: so that rules the game out, which is a bit of a pity.

I'll drop you a PM - there are 4 of us coming over so be good to catch up for a beer or two :agree:

Hibrandenburg
02-08-2011, 07:46 PM
:agree:

Also, you can buy tickets at the tourist advice office! I did when I was there and then got a tram right to the stadium which has an amazing atmosphere. If you go, listen out for the club song which just about everyone in the stadium sings just before kick off
Good point JB I'd forgotten all about the song :-) Also the difference between the 2 towns is like Motherwell and Edinburgh.

Jonnyboy
02-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Good point JB I'd forgotten all about the song :-) Also the difference between the 2 towns is like Motherwell and Edinburgh.

:greengrin

Holmesdale Hibs
02-08-2011, 07:52 PM
If you can't get tickets for bundesliga, it's worth looking in to a lower league game. I watched Union Berlin in the German second devision and the atmosphere was amazing. You
Can stand and drink at the games.

DC_Hibs
02-08-2011, 08:32 PM
I'm just tagging along :greengrin

We are actually on the early sunday flight back to EDI :bevvied!: so that rules the game out, which is a bit of a pity.

I'll drop you a PM - there are 4 of us coming over so be good to catch up for a beer or two :agree:

You'll get tickets no bother for the Gladbach or Duesseldorf games which are both the Saturday that weekend and not so far.

your match ticket should give free travel for at least some of the journey - a group day ticket would cost buttons as well.
over to you.

DaveF
02-08-2011, 08:46 PM
You'll get tickets no bother for the Gladbach or Duesseldorf games which are both the Saturday that weekend and not so far.

your match ticket should give free travel for at least some of the journey - a group day ticket would cost buttons as well.
over to you.

Nice one, cheers.

Will have a look and see if it's something we want to do.

Carheenlea
28-08-2011, 01:05 PM
We have our tickets booked now for Koln v Hoffenhiem next month, and they were around €30. Not a lot in the way of cheap tickets, think most of the cheaper areas are taken up by season ticket holders. Still, German beer, The Specials on the Saturday night, German beer, football on the Sunday, German beer... Gotta be good weekend away...!

TheEastTerrace
28-08-2011, 02:39 PM
Got a wee German tour coming up in a couple of weeks. Going to St.Pauli vs 1860 Munich in Hamburg, then following weekend, Bayer Leverkusen vs. Koln and Schalke 04 vs. Bayern Munich on Sat/Sun.

Good advice is to contact the supporters clubs for tickets, got the St.Pauli and Schalke ones that way.

Can't wait! :flag: