PDA

View Full Version : Will they make a big difference

ahibby
01-08-2011, 09:29 AM
I was just wondering what posters views are on whether we will be vastly better when the likes of O'Hanlon, Welsh, Scott, Sodge and Agogo are all fit? That's two forwards, two midfielders and the experienced CH all missing. Will we be vastly improved when/if they all are fit or do we still need new faces? Views please.

Expecting Rain
01-08-2011, 09:44 AM
I was just wondering what posters views are on whether we will be vastly better when the likes of O'Hanlon, Welsh, Scott, Sodge and Agogo are all fit? That's two forwards, two midfielders and the experienced CH all missing. Will we be vastly improved when/if they all are fit or do we still need new faces? Views please.

Not convinced about Sodje at all, Agogo i haven`t seen ( hoping he is decent ) O`Hanlon did alright against Celtic, too early to judge, Welsh i`ve heard from a lot of people is potentially good, Scott hasn`t done anything of note apart from injuring one of our youngsters, yeah we do need new faces but not just for the sake of it.

Twa Cairpets
01-08-2011, 09:55 AM
Not convinced about Sodje at all, Agogo i haven`t seen ( hoping he is decent ) O`Hanlon did alright against Celtic, too early to judge, Welsh i`ve heard from a lot of people is potentially good, Scott hasn`t done anything of note apart from injuring one of our youngsters, yeah we do need new faces but not just for the sake of it.

I dont think sodje is the new messiah, but a goal every three games isnt too shabby. More importantly for me though is that he gets into goalscoring positions and is a good hold up player to bring others into play - I can see him linking well with Ivan in particular - control, shield then feed out to the wing.

PeterboroHibee
01-08-2011, 10:17 AM

I think they will make a difference. Not sure about Welsh but the others are all experienced players, and given that we have a very young squad, the more experience available the better. Really like Sodje, got a good return in his time with us and is decent in the system we seem to be going with. Cant really comment on Agogo but only heard good things about him so look forward to seeing him play. Dont think anyone in our defence is over the age of about 21 so O'Hanlon coming back is important, they did keep a clean sheet against Inverness but think he will be a more commanding presence, will organise things better.

Bayern Bru
01-08-2011, 10:18 AM
Compared to what we did have, they will almost certainly make a difference.

offshorehibby
01-08-2011, 10:43 AM
I think by the time we get all our injured players back and add the 3 or 4 players we still hope to add we will be a strong hard team to beat.
CC in a recent interview stated the league started a tad early for us and we probably wont be firing on full cylinders till late August. That fills me with hope.

davemcbain
01-08-2011, 10:51 AM
........Scott hasn`t done anything of note apart from injuring one of our youngsters, yeah we do need new faces but not just for the sake of it.

Am I the only one who read this and cringed - new faces through re-arrangement?....ouch.

R'Albin
01-08-2011, 10:57 AM

O'Hanlon is a big miss, although we conceded two more goals against Celtic we defended better and looked more solid(IMO), Stephens and Hanlon are both good prospects but we could do with an older head at the back. I've not seen Welsh so I can't comment on him. I thought when I first seen Scott that he looked a good player, but I missed a few games towards the end of the season and apparently he wasn't great, so I'm a bit undecided, but every team needs a bruiser so I think he will be a good player to have fit. Having Agogo and Sodje fit is the most important though, Go'C isn't great at playing the lone striker role and will ultimately benefit from having a strike partner. Sodje has a good goalscoring record for us and is a good holding striker, not seen much of Agogo apart from a couple of videos on Youtube, but he seems to have a good background and his goalscoring record is impressive- especially 12 goals in 27 for Ghana.

All these players plus a few more signings and we will do well this season:agree:

--------
01-08-2011, 11:01 AM

Can't see how they can fail to make a difference. Whether we'll be VASTLY better is another matter.

I think we need a right-back - Palsson's needed in midfield, IMO, and he also gives us cover at centre-back.

Not entirely convinced about the quality of Jimmy Scott, but I'd probably prefer him to Stevenson. Needs to curb his temper, though.

Welsh (from what I hear) needs to work on his interpersonal skills - a wee bit too quick with his mouth? - but is according to all reports an excellent prospect and should do well.

Sodje and Agogo are big strong experienced forwards and should link up well with Garry O and Ivan.

But yes, we DO need to keep looking for new players to strengthen the squad.

basehibby
01-08-2011, 11:05 AM

Better? Yes - vastly so - No.

Without having seen an awful lot of him, I think Hanlon has the experience and qualities that will improve our defence.

Scott supplies strength in depth rather than any great increase in quality

Not seen enough of Welsh but he's been talked up plenty - hopefully he lives up to it although I won't be expecting too much too soon given his inexperience.

Sodje's recruitment in Jan was a great bit of business IMO - he's been a lot better than I expected and his return can only bolster our attack.

Agogo - another physical centre forward (when was the last time we had three???). Don't know much about what he has to offer but he has a load of caps and international goals so I'm hopeful he'll make a difference. Very least he'll give us is a bit of badly needed strength in depth up front.

So - they'll improve things without a doubt but still plenty more room for further improvement. We need a good quality RB at least in defence and could do with more creativity from the midfield so definately more new faces required.

matty_f
01-08-2011, 11:20 AM
I think the players that came in in January made a big difference already, and the players that CC has added to that group make a big overall improvement to the woeful side of last season. I think it's important to remember that the results at the tail end of last season came at a time where CC was sussing out what he had to work with this season (a tactic that saw a large number of players exit the club in the summer).

There is a better core group of players at the club now. We're certainly quicker, more powerful, and stronger than we were last season. I think we've got some problem areas still to address, particularly at right back.

However, once we've a group of fit strikers and if we can address right back, then I think we have a squad that is definitely equipped to challenge in the top 6, rather than fighting off relegation.

Speedway
01-08-2011, 11:29 AM
O'Hanlon will certainly improve us, he's got a bit of a nasty streak ala Stack and will be going all out to intimidate opposing players whilst rallying his team mates in defence.

Scott won't make a blind bit of difference. Big step up to the SPL for him and I've seen nothing to suggest that he's a player, whilst he's been with us.

Agogo, I've no idea as I haven't seen him. His pedigree suggests he will improve our chances created to goals scored ratio. He looks very comfortable on the ball and has a very confident manner. Hopefully that filters through to team confidence.

Sodje....the thing about him is that when you send the ball up to him, it sticks. So as someone else has already suggested, he's the link up man and could make a real difference for us in our play around the edge of the box where we've been dithering recently. Not a fantastic finisher but good enough for this level.

So those guys allied with a new arrival or two will make a big difference to us, yes.

scoopyboy
01-08-2011, 11:48 AM
If nothing else it should give us a stronger bench, whether these guys go straight into the team and relegate others to the bench or simply go on the bench themselves.

I hate looking at Hibs subs warming up and thinking that none of them are good enough to make a difference.

mon the cabbage
01-08-2011, 11:55 AM
O'Hanlon- He seems like the player we need in the defence, if he was a bit faster he would be great payer.

Scott- not seen anything to great fae him.

Agogo- Good goalscoring record, Looks as if he will be fast, strong, might get a few goals. He looks like he will get in good positions and thornhill seems like a player who could play a good pass tae him.

Sodje- think he will be the same as agogo.

Simon70
01-08-2011, 12:26 PM
I'd be disappointed if Scott ever plays for us again.

--------
01-08-2011, 12:33 PM
I'd be disappointed if Scott ever plays for us again.

Why?

Speedway
01-08-2011, 12:33 PM
If nothing else it should give us a stronger bench, whether these guys go straight into the team and relegate others to the bench or simply go on the bench themselves.

I hate looking at Hibs subs warming up and thinking that none of them are good enough to make a difference.

I catch myself thinking that too but wonder about young Caldwell. What little I've seen of him suggests that he's got a bit of confidence and swagger about him and he's certainly started to fill out. So with all eyes on David Crawford, I wonder whether it'll actually be Caldwell that is our surprise package this season.

CapitalHibs
01-08-2011, 01:34 PM
I'd still like to see us add three players

An experienced right back.

A striker (Phil Airey?) on loan.

...and I'll probably get pelters for this, but what the heck...

Michael Stewart for the midfield. (strikes me as being a CC type of player and would give us a lot of drive going forward)

sleeping giant
01-08-2011, 01:38 PM
I catch myself thinking that too but wonder about young Caldwell. What little I've seen of him suggests that he's got a bit of confidence and swagger about him and he's certainly started to fill out. So with all eyes on David Crawford, I wonder whether it'll actually be Caldwell that is our surprise package this season.

Stop it :shhhsh!:

Albion Hibs
01-08-2011, 01:43 PM
O'Hanlon- Seems like he will definatly add if he can stay injury free, but I get the feeling he may be one of these players that does not play unless they are 120% - either that or we were losing on his debut and he really really really did not want to travel to Blackpool or Inverness!!

Scott- More than a few on here described him as the next Scott Brown, I dont think there is any chance of that, and I mean any. However, he looks like someone who can come on and scrap for us if needed.

Agogo- He has a decent record and I hear he looks like a decent, strong pacy player, so I look forward to seeing that.

Sodje- I was more than surprised by him following his shot at the away end on his debut, he is not tidy with his feet, but gets into some great positions, and I dont think we can really argue with his goal scoring return for his first few months in this league. With a pre-season and some now familiar faces around him I think he will be a very good player for us next year.

All in all I think the above players will def add to the team, on the basis I have only seen 1/2 of them play to say they will vastly change is perhaps a bit strong. However, I am looking forward to watching them try.

Albion Hibs
01-08-2011, 01:46 PM

I think you may be right with that one.

Aldo
01-08-2011, 01:50 PM
sodje for me is doing just fine. Couple of good finishes against
Millie at home and the sheep away. Him hoc and junior will
Give a few teams a hard time but I woullike to see us signing
A fast box type cf with an eye and a position for goals

basehibby
01-08-2011, 03:15 PM
O'Hanlon- Seems like he will definatly add if he can stay injury free, but I get the feeling he may be one of these players that does not play unless they are 120% - either that or we were losing on his debut and he really really really did not want to travel to Blackpool or Inverness!!

Scott- More than a few on here described him as the next Scott Brown, I dont think there is any chance of that, and I mean any. However, he looks like someone who can come on and scrap for us if needed.

Agogo- He has a decent record and I hear he looks like a decent, strong pacy player, so I look forward to seeing that.

Sodje- I was more than surprised by him following his shot at the away end on his debut, he is not tidy with his feet, but gets into some great positions, and I dont think we can really argue with his goal scoring return for his first few months in this league. With a pre-season and some now familiar faces around him I think he will be a very good player for us next year.

All in all I think the above players will def add to the team, on the basis I have only seen 1/2 of them play to say they will vastly change is perhaps a bit strong. However, I am looking forward to watching them try.

Scott has shown the energy and agression of Brown which was a real fillip for our midfield in February. Unfortunately, unlike Brown, he's shown little ability to carry the ball or find a teammate with a pass. If he could only improve his passing he could be a real asset to our midfield IMO.

Albion Hibs
01-08-2011, 03:46 PM
Scott has shown the energy and agression of Brown which was a real fillip for our midfield in February. Unfortunately, unlike Brown, he's shown little ability to carry the ball or find a teammate with a pass. If he could only improve his passing he could be a real asset to our midfield IMO.

IMO he ran around in his first couple of games, both of which from memory we lost, he showed nothing then to make me think he was anything like a Scott Brown energy or otherwise. Put another way as I said at the time there is no way we will be off loading him for £4m. At the same age brown moved for seven figures to Celtic, he moved for 5 figures to Hibs.

I think he can provide energy, but so can many players. I hope he does have something to offer to the team, as otherwise it has been a crap signing. FWIW I think he will in time add to Hibs, perhaps not as a starting 11, but a good player to have in the squad.

PS why are we both on this thread, we should be revelling in the yam, mafia saga of week commencing the 1st August!

Speedway
01-08-2011, 04:45 PM

Who let Dougie Cromb in here?