PDA

View Full Version : There's Only One Ivan Sproule

FranckSuzy
31-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Just wanted to share a story with .net about the one and only Mr Sproule. Enough bad press gets out about player's so it's about time the balance was redressed. In June, my brother was over from Australia and Billy (Hibs TV) kindly offered to show him, my niece and myself around the stadium. I asked if my friend and her 10 year son could tag along as he's a massive Hibs fan and needed cheering up as he sadly lost his dad last year. After the tour (which was brilliant-thanks Billy :greengrin), the boy's mum asked if Billy could get the players to sign his autograph book and we'd get it later. Well, I had in all honesty forgotten all about it but cue a call from Billy. He advised that Ivan had heard of my wee friend's plight and wanted to meet him! We could not believe it. So, to cut a long story short, we met up with Ivan on Thursday at ER. As if meeting him wasn't enough, he kindly brought the wee boy a Hibs shirt signed by the whole squad and a signed programme from the Celtic game (oh, and the autograph book duly signed by all the team and CC). Well, as you can imagine, we were blown away. Meeting him was more than enough but the guy went well out of his way. The wee boy was understandably gob-smacked and the quietest he's EVER been but Ivan put him at ease, saying when he was around the same age, he won a football tournament back in Ireland and the prize was to meet none other than George Best http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/not%20worthy.gif

So there we were, about to leave (after 30 mins with Ivan) and then he asked if the wee boy would like to be his guest in the player's lounge for the Sunderland game and meet his family. Honestly, we were astounded. What an absolute gent. Lovely, lovely man and totally genuine. I've now been asked if I'd like to take the wee boy to the game so I am one very happy and proud Hibby today.

I'm sure Ivan won't mind me sharing this great wee tale. GGTTH :flag:

Tricla
31-07-2011, 09:01 PM
Just wanted to share a story with .net about the one and only Mr Sproule. Enough bad press gets out about player's so it's about time the balance was redressed. In June, my brother was over from Australia and Billy (Hibs TV) kindly offered to show him, my niece and myself around the stadium. I asked if my friend and her 10 year son could tag along as he's a massive Hibs fan and needed cheering up as he sadly lost his dad last year. After the tour (which was brilliant-thanks Billy :greengrin), the boy's mum asked if Billy could get the players to sign his autograph book and we'd get it later. Well, I had in all honesty forgotten all about it but cue a call from Billy. He advised that Ivan had heard of my wee friend's plight and wanted to meet him! We could not believe it. So, to cut a long story short, we met up with Ivan on Thursday at ER. As if meeting him wasn't enough, he kindly brought the wee boy a Hibs shirt signed by the whole squad and a signed programme from the Celtic game (oh, and the autograph book duly signed by all the team and CC). Well, as you can imagine, we were blown away. Meeting him was more than enough but the guy went well out of his way. The wee boy was understandably gob-smacked and the quietest he's EVER been but Ivan put him at ease, saying when he was around the same age, he won a football tournament back in Ireland and the prize was to meet none other than George Best http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/not%20worthy.gif

So there we were, about to leave (after 30 mins with Ivan) and then he asked if the wee boy would like to be his guest in the player's lounge for the Sunderland game and meet his family. Honestly, we were astounded. What an absolute gent. Lovely, lovely man and totally genuine. I've now been asked if I'd like to take the wee boy to the game so I am one very happy and proud Hibby today.

Surely not.

I was under the impression that all footballers were coke snorting, car racing, women sha**ing cry babies! :devil:

All joking aside, that is a great story. If only there were more guys in the game who are as appreciative of what they have as oor Ivan is.

:top marks

Hibrandenburg
31-07-2011, 09:04 PM
Glad this has gone out on the main forum. Love stories like this. Well done Ivan.

Westie1875
31-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Ivan :not worth :hibees

I'm so glad he is back home where he belongs.

hibsbollah
31-07-2011, 09:10 PM
He loves us. We love him. FACT.

Stantons Angel
31-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Top class guy, welcome HOME ivan!

Antifa Hibs
31-07-2011, 09:19 PM
Thats a f**** great story.

The love and respect he has for Hibernian and its supporters is unrivalled. And it works both ways.

Well in Ivan.

sleeping giant
31-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Great wee story :thumbsup:

givescotlandfreedom
31-07-2011, 09:42 PM
I met Ivan too whilst at a Bristol City game (arranged by then BCFC player and Edinburgh lad Michael McIndoe). He went out his way to us few Hibees after the game and was a true gent and introduced us to his wife and wee son. He was happy to andwer our questions and talk football and I'm delighted to have him back as a player and person :flag::flag::flag:

BEEJ
31-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Great stuff. :thumbsup:

Ivan's a gem!

frazeHFC
31-07-2011, 09:53 PM
What a great guy and feel-good story. :thumbsup:

He's here, he's there.....:flag:

heidtheba
31-07-2011, 10:00 PM
Such a nice story and one featuring a player that seems so genuinely nice - great to hear its all true. Sad that for every player like him (regardless of team they play for - I've already told a story on here once about Steven Fulton being nice to my class on a school trip) there's one like Adebayor - didn't he turn up at some kids hospital, or hospice, wearing his headphones and didn't even bother removing them (or, I think, switching the music off).
So nice to have a feel good story. Ta for posting.

Sir David Gray
31-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Brilliant story.

That's not the first time that I've heard a few stories like that about Ivan. He seems like a really top guy and completely genuine and down to Earth, unlike so many of his fellow professionals, who think they're God's gift.

I was absolutely delighted when I heard he was coming back. He is one of my all time favourite Hibs players and it will take some beating for that to change.

I'd absolutely love him to score the winning goal in the Scottish Cup final. :agree:

HUTCHYHIBBY
31-07-2011, 10:32 PM
That made a pleasant read from the mostly dowbeat stuff posted on here recently.

Sodje_18
31-07-2011, 11:06 PM
Brilliant story.

That's not the first time that I've heard a few stories like that about Ivan. He seems like a really top guy and completely genuine and down to Earth, unlike so many of his fellow professionals, who think they're God's gift.

I was absolutely delighted when I heard he was coming back. He is one of my all time favourite Hibs players and it will take some beating for that to change.

I'd absolutely love him to score the winning goal in the Scottish Cup final. :agree:
I think he would love that even more than most of us would, genuine down to earth guy who loves his football and is clearly honoured to be at our club :agree: Welcome back Ivan!

Disco Dave
31-07-2011, 11:07 PM
Top man! The wee guy is a legend :flag:

basehibby
31-07-2011, 11:25 PM
Just wanted to share a story with .net about the one and only Mr Sproule. Enough bad press gets out about player's so it's about time the balance was redressed. In June, my brother was over from Australia and Billy (Hibs TV) kindly offered to show him, my niece and myself around the stadium. I asked if my friend and her 10 year son could tag along as he's a massive Hibs fan and needed cheering up as he sadly lost his dad last year. After the tour (which was brilliant-thanks Billy :greengrin), the boy's mum asked if Billy could get the players to sign his autograph book and we'd get it later. Well, I had in all honesty forgotten all about it but cue a call from Billy. He advised that Ivan had heard of my wee friend's plight and wanted to meet him! We could not believe it. So, to cut a long story short, we met up with Ivan on Thursday at ER. As if meeting him wasn't enough, he kindly brought the wee boy a Hibs shirt signed by the whole squad and a signed programme from the Celtic game (oh, and the autograph book duly signed by all the team and CC). Well, as you can imagine, we were blown away. Meeting him was more than enough but the guy went well out of his way. The wee boy was understandably gob-smacked and the quietest he's EVER been but Ivan put him at ease, saying when he was around the same age, he won a football tournament back in Ireland and the prize was to meet none other than George Best :not worth

:top marksto Ivan - what a cracking guy he is and how good it is to have him back in the fold! Thanks for sharing this with us and I hope you all have a brilliant day out at ER :thumbsup:

FranckSuzy
01-08-2011, 09:52 AM
:top marksto Ivan - what a cracking guy he is and how good it is to have him back in the fold! Thanks for sharing this with us and I hope you all have a brilliant day out at ER :thumbsup:

Cheers :aok: I'm sure we will. Think I may be more excited about it than the 10 year old :greengrin

Sodje_18
01-08-2011, 10:05 AM
Cheers :aok: I'm sure we will. Think I may be more excited about it than the 10 year old :greengrin
Only 5 sleeps to go then :greengrin:woohoo:

kaimendhibs
01-08-2011, 10:28 AM
I met Ivan too whilst at a Bristol City game (arranged by then BCFC player and Edinburgh lad Michael McIndoe). He went out his way to us few Hibees after the game and was a true gent and introduced us to his wife and wee son. He was happy to andwer our questions and talk football and I'm delighted to have him back as a player and person :flag::flag::flag:

I will never forget that day mate. Ivan Sproule, what a nice guy and gentleman:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Greentinted
01-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Its often what players do off the park, as much as on it, that allows them to be referred to as 'class'.
Good stuff from Ivan S, definitely Hibs class in every sense.

Craig_in_Prague
01-08-2011, 05:29 PM
Great story.

Ivan Sproule :top marks

Genuinely loves the club and appreciates what he has and also see's it as an honour to pull on the jersey. Fantastic guy to have at the club, both on and off the field. Gentlemen and a Top professional.

Not surprised to read such stories, but how great it is to do so. Thanks for posting and enjoy Saturday!

:flag:

Hakim Sar
01-08-2011, 05:48 PM
Met Ivan on a bus when he was visiting the city with his dad and brother the same week we beat hearts 1-0 at tynecastle with the youth team.

He seemed very polite and gracious and when I wished him all the best and maybe see him home at hibs again he was the one who shook my hand rather than the other way around. Such a nice fella. Heartbreaking that he lost his baby recently.

hibsbollah
01-08-2011, 06:16 PM
Such a nice fella. Heartbreaking that he lost his baby recently.Its often the way that people who suffer a major loss in their lives get a perspective they wouldnt have got otherwise and become more giving and kind as a result (although Ivan had this kind of reputation prior to his loss as well)

Billy McKirdy
01-08-2011, 06:23 PM
Thanks for sharing that story with us :top marks as others have said, Ivan is pure Hibs class and his deeds show that perfectly :greengrin I hope you and the wee man have a day to remember :thumbsup:Glory Glory!!

Leithenhibby
01-08-2011, 06:32 PM

:top marks Wonderful wee story, but in fairness it's just the Hibs way really .... :wink:

BullbreedHFC
01-08-2011, 06:34 PM
WELL DONE - Ivan Sproule - great story and a nice gesture from the wee man, always heard he was a top bloke - pure class Ivan

Borderhibbie76
01-08-2011, 08:14 PM
What a great wee story and makes you proud to be a Hibbie (esp now that the Circus has returned to the PBS).
Ivan is a Hibs legend no doubt and it's just great to have him back home where he belongs...:flag::flag::flag:

sixtwo
01-08-2011, 08:16 PM
Everything I have heard about Ivan Sproule has been good. He is quality player and it would seem, a very decent bloke. I hope you and the boy have a great day.

LancashireHibby
01-08-2011, 08:20 PM
What a fantastic story. Get it sent to the EEN and the like, nowhere near enough is made of the good guys in football, and I'm glad to hear Ivan is one of them :thumbsup:

FranckSuzy
01-08-2011, 09:47 PM
What a fantastic story. Get it sent to the EEN and the like, nowhere near enough is made of the good guys in football, and I'm glad to hear Ivan is one of them :thumbsup:

Fair comment and a few people have said that to me but to be honest, I'd rather just leave things as they are, in that Ivan can have the freedom to use his love for the club and its fans coupled with the love we have for him as he sees fit. Perhaps unrealistic expectations would come about and there's a risk it may spoil the special relationship that we share. Also, I wouldn't want the guy to be unfairly accused of self-promotion by some of the numbskull's that inhabit our city :wink:

Hibercelona
01-08-2011, 09:52 PM
To me, a legend isn't about playing great in every game and always scoring loads of goals. Its about showing Heart for the club and its supporters and Ivan is all Heart. A true legend and the perfect role model for youngsters to look up to. :agree:

Welcome home Ivan! :aok:

LeithBoozy
01-08-2011, 10:07 PM
It is nice to hear a story like that, well done Ivan, we have always known you were differant class. :not worth

Forza Fred
02-08-2011, 09:46 AM
Great story Suzie.

No doubt big brother John was in awe too 8-)

Skanko79
02-08-2011, 12:47 PM
What a top gadgie wee ivan is. Had the pleasure of meeting him during his first stint here in the conan doyle pub, he was with his dad so didnt bother him, after a few more shandies though he appeared beside me at the bar so i said hello and offered to buy him and his dad a pint, he then insisted me and my mate join him at his table where we spent the next few hours having a laugh, down to earth lad, his old man was a top man too.

Beefster
02-08-2011, 01:35 PM
One of life's good guys is Ivan Sproule.

FranckSuzy
08-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Just a wee update from Saturday. Unfortunately we couldn't get into the player's lounge due to the member of staff who organises it being on holiday BUT Ivan kindly left comp. tickets for us at reception and said he'd be down after the game to meet us. When he was warming up, the wee lad shouted to him and he waved, as he would to any fan, but then he realised who it was and gave him the biggest smile and a :aok:! Cue one overly-excited 10 year old who told the story to anyone and everyone :rolleyes: :greengrin. Ivan then appeared after the game and spent a wee while with us and told the lad that he'd bear him in mind for comps another time, if possible, and that he was a lucky mascot, what with the win at ICT and the draw on Saturday . All-in-all, a great day made possible by one great guy.

Riordans Boots
08-08-2011, 07:22 PM
Just a wee update from Saturday. Unfortunately we couldn't get into the player's lounge due to the member of staff who organises it being on holiday BUT Ivan kindly left comp. tickets for us at reception and said he'd be down after the game to meet us. When he was warming up, the wee lad shouted to him and he waved, as he would to any fan, but then he realised who it was and gave him the biggest smile and a :aok:! Cue one overly-excited 10 year old who told the story to anyone and everyone :rolleyes: :greengrin. Ivan then appeared after the game and spent a wee while with us and told the lad that he'd bear him in mind for comps another time, if possible, and that he was a lucky mascot, what with the win at ICT and the draw on Saturday . All-in-all, a great day made possible by one great guy.

:top marks