PDA

View Full Version : What does east mains cost to run?

blackpoolhibs
29-07-2011, 03:12 PM
As it says on the tin, how much does it cost per year, and where do those funds come from?

HH81
29-07-2011, 03:46 PM
How could anyone on this message board answer this though? Any amounts must be a guess.

GreenPJ
29-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Presumably as its been paid outright the costs are primarily maintenance costs? Don't know how much they are but I presume the fans indirectly pay for it but am not really sure what the relevance of the question is.

blackpoolhibs
29-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Presumably as its been paid outright the costs are primarily maintenance costs? Don't know how much they are but I presume the fans indirectly pay for it but am not really sure what the relevance of the question is.

I'd imagine their is a running cost, leccy gas pitch maintenance and the likes. The relevance is we were talking about this in the pub on tuesday, and my mate knows that its £2.5m a year to run the Bolton one.

Now i imagine ours is nothing like this, but it must cost something? I wondered just how much, and how much is it taking out of our budget?

I think it was necessary to build this, but until such times as it bare's fruit, i wonder how much its taking to run?

Dashing Bob S
29-07-2011, 04:07 PM
East Mains pulls in a substantial amount of revenue, due to Petrie's innovative system of charging the players a fiver a skull to use the facilities.

The missus and I had a romantic weekend there, holding hands, walking across the football pitches, her hair blowing lightly in the breeze, my sex drive rekindled by the suggestive sweep of her auburn locks as she bent seductively over that pool table, a prelude to making love on a treatment bench indented for comfort by Chris Killen and Kevin Thomson, and -also- I'm down for a paintballing do with some friends from the Royal Bank (they need chums so badly they're even speaking to Bobby here), so all good on the social front.

You should try one of those Petrie-themed weekends, BH, obese Hun chicks in 'colourful dispute' with the social services would positively flock. A veritable September weekend any time you fancy it!

heretoday
29-07-2011, 04:09 PM
I understood it paid for itself by way of a thriving cabbage-growing business in the adjoining fields. :cool2:

R'Albin
29-07-2011, 04:11 PM
East Mains pulls in a substantial amount of revenue, due to Petrie's innovative system of charging the players a fiver a skull to use the facilities.

The missus and I had a romantic weekend there, holding hands, walking across the football pitches, her hair blowing lightly in the breeze, my sex drive rekindled by the suggestive sweep of her auburn locks as she bent seductively over that pool table, a prelude to making love on a treatment bench indented for comfort by Chris Killen and Kevin Thomson, and -also- I'm down for a paintballing do with some friends from the Royal Bank (they need chums so badly they're even speaking to Bobby here), so all good on the social front.

You should try one of those Petrie-themed weekends, BH, obese Hun chicks in 'colourful dispute' with the social services would positively flock. A veritable September weekend any time you fancy it!

:faf:

blackpoolhibs
29-07-2011, 04:12 PM

:faf::faf: Superb Bob superb. :top marks

GreenPJ
29-07-2011, 04:35 PM
I'd imagine their is a running cost, leccy gas pitch maintenance and the likes. The relevance is we were talking about this in the pub on tuesday, and my mate knows that its £2.5m a year to run the Bolton one.

Now i imagine ours is nothing like this, but it must cost something? I wondered just how much, and how much is it taking out of our budget?

I think it was necessary to build this, but until such times as it bare's fruit, i wonder how much its taking to run?

It was never going to start to bare fruit right away. Think its suffered as well from having two managers who did not place as much emphasis on youth. You could suggest when Booth is sold in a year's time for Xmillion then you might get your answer.

blackpoolhibs
29-07-2011, 04:43 PM
It was never going to start to bare fruit right away. Think its suffered as well from having two managers who did not place as much emphasis on youth. You could suggest when Booth is sold in a year's time for Xmillion then you might get your answer.

I hope we get to keep Booth for a wee bit longer than one more season. I disagree about the last two managers, Hughes played Hanlon and Wotherspoon, he also farmed out Booth who has said it done him the world of good. The rest of the double winning side couldn't quite make the step up, and are playing elsewhere at a lower standard than the SPL.

blackpoolhibs
29-07-2011, 05:00 PM
How could anyone on this message board answer this though? Any amounts must be a guess.

I thought they might have been on the accounts?

CropleyWasGod
29-07-2011, 05:07 PM
I thought they might have been on the accounts?

There's no legal requirement to show them separately in the published accounts, so any guess on here would be exactly that. One might argue that it would be good PR to give us an idea.... but that, of course, just sets them up for criticism "£xm to keep it going.??? That could pay for another 5 players!!" etc etc.

The Board will be well aware of the costs. The benefits are much more difficult to quantify, but I would suggest that a player being sold for £1m or so every few years is a decent start. Add to that the non-financial benefits of having a permanent training facility not dependent on the weather.

blackpoolhibs
29-07-2011, 05:19 PM
There's no legal requirement to show them separately in the published accounts, so any guess on here would be exactly that. One might argue that it would be good PR to give us an idea.... but that, of course, just sets them up for criticism "£xm to keep it going.??? That could pay for another 5 players!!" etc etc.

The Board will be well aware of the costs. The benefits are much more difficult to quantify, but I would suggest that a player being sold for £1m or so every few years is a decent start. Add to that the non-financial benefits of having a permanent training facility not dependent on the weather.

I understand players sold will hopefully be the way the upkeep is paid for, the more the merrier. And a permanent training facility has to be a good thing. I only asked as i found the £2.5m figure to keep Boltons training centre going staggering, apparently its £6m for Liverpools.

I hope ours is nowhere near even the Bolton figure, as thats a lot of players we have to find each season against a much smaller income?

CropleyWasGod
29-07-2011, 05:21 PM
I understand players sold will hopefully be the way the upkeep is paid for, the more the merrier. And a permanent training facility has to be a good thing. I only asked as i found the £2.5m figure to keep Boltons training centre going staggering, apparently its £6m for Liverpools.

I hope ours is nowhere near even the Bolton figure, as thats a lot of players we have to find each season against a much smaller income?

Agreed. I honestly can't see it. I would have thought a few hundred thousand? :confused:

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-07-2011, 05:35 PM
If we sell the players that it helpd us produce then I guess it is self-financing in a way.

blackpoolhibs
29-07-2011, 05:45 PM
If we sell the players that it helpd us produce then I guess it is self-financing in a way.

Yip hopefully.

HibbyRod
29-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Agreed. I honestly can't see it. I would have thought a few hundred thousand? :confused:

I would have thought more like half-a-£million per year.

LeithBoozy
29-07-2011, 06:37 PM
They say it cost's an arm and a leg to hire a Council pitch for a couple of hours. So the savings to Hibs over a year must be substantial and being able to train in Inclement weather. :wink:

Mibbes Aye
29-07-2011, 07:05 PM

I have no idea why, but I've had the impression since the place opened that it cost not far short of a million p.a. - can only assume that I had picked that up from what I would have considered an authoritative source.

Also worth bearing in mind that it won't be a million in additional money - there'll be a chunk of it that we would have had to have spent regardless.

Another aspect is IIRC, the Community Foundation were meant to use some of the space freed up at ER by some of the club's functions transferring to EM.

It's no small pot of money anyway. Also seem to recall some dicussion about why we hadn't put undersoil heating on one of the pitches out there and by all accounts it was because the running costs were astronomical, a substantial six figure sum.

NOLA
29-07-2011, 07:11 PM
when the centre opened i remember reading that it would cost 1 million a year in maintenance costs

Dashing Bob S
29-07-2011, 07:39 PM
when the centre opened i remember reading that it would cost 1 million a year in maintenance costs

My God!

That's almost as much as the ex!

Blackpool Hibs pays roughly the same for his ex-Hun bird, though he does that with MacDonald's happy meal vouchers.

SteveHFC
29-07-2011, 08:50 PM

:faf::faf:

Mikey
29-07-2011, 09:04 PM

I believe that's the magic number.

R'Albin
29-07-2011, 09:04 PM
Blackpool Hibs pays roughly the same for his ex-Hun bird, though he does that with MacDonald's happy meal vouchers.

:greengrin

greenlex
29-07-2011, 09:34 PM
I wonder how much Barcalona's costs to run?

HibbyRod
29-07-2011, 10:09 PM
]I believe that's the magic number[/B].

:agree:

7Hero
29-07-2011, 11:57 PM
I believe that's the magic number.

between 100k and 200k.

HibbingtonHibs
30-07-2011, 12:56 AM
Is it owned by Hibs or is it in a holding company and rented back to Hibs? Just thinking thats the way the Petrie's and Farmer's of the world like to operate.

WindyMiller
30-07-2011, 08:35 AM
Is it owned by Hibs or is it in a holding company and rented back to Hibs? Just thinking thats the way the Petrie's and Farmer's of the world like to operate.

Well they ballsed it up this time as it's listed as an asset in our Club's accounts!

Caversham Green
30-07-2011, 08:36 AM

It's owned by Hibs.

In reply to the OP, as the costs aren't shown separately, there's no way of verifying the cost exactly (as CW God has already alluded to) but 'Other operating costs' is the number that will be affected in the accounts. Interestingly, that has gone down significantly since 2008 - East Mains was opened in December 2007 IIRC. Staff costs have gone up, but numbers have remained broadly the same. So either EM has saved us money or we've made massive cuts in other areas.

OOC figures are:

2006/07 - £3,964,932
2007/08 - £4,051,474
2008/09 - £3,540,017
2009/10 - £3,310,133

Mikey
30-07-2011, 11:33 AM
between 100k and 200k.

Nope. 500k.

down-the-slope
30-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Depends what question is being asked...

Cost....is that Rates / insurance / heat & light etc....

Or also staffing costs...security / grounds / physios / catering / admin....etc etc

Question regardless has more validity if the previous costs of hiring facilities / transport / insurance (must be more of a risk / expense - to insure prof. players training on public parks :confused:) There is also extra office space at ER that can now be rented...

also we can rent EM to Olympic squads next year :wink:

Mikey
30-07-2011, 11:48 AM
also we can rent EM to Olympic squads next year :wink:

No. The players will be back training before the Olympics.

down-the-slope
30-07-2011, 11:55 AM
No. The players will be back training before the Olympics.

:agree: aye they will find that pre-season is a tour away somewhere cheap...Dingwall for a couple of weeks :wink:

Cash to be made Mikey :greengrin

The Baldmans Comb
30-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Nope. 500k.

That's correct as it was either mentioned in the narritive to the statutory accounts or it was given as an answer to a question at one of the shareholders meeting.

Either way Hibs own it all outright and it's listed as an asset in the club accounts.:not worth

PapillonVert
30-07-2011, 10:44 PM

Excuse me, just read this and really LOL. I just had to respond. :greengrin Thank you, DBS, for a good laugh.

Apologies to everyone else, I have no idea how much the running costs are for EM.

The Falcon
31-07-2011, 07:14 AM
That's correct as it was either mentioned in the narritive to the statutory accounts or it was given as an answer to a question at one of the shareholders meeting.

Either way Hibs own it all outright and it's listed as an asset in the club accounts.:not worth

I recall it was along the lines of £500k was "ringfenced" to cover running costs but they expected it to be a "bit less" as we owned it outright.

Beefster
31-07-2011, 07:08 PM
I thought that, when EM opened, it was stressed that it was a training facility first and foremost - not a youth academy. If so, it'll save us money in renting pitches out etc but I would doubt that it is expected to 'bear fruit' other than give our first team squad a better and more settled place to train and recover.

basehibby
31-07-2011, 11:13 PM
I can only hazard a guess but it must be of the order of 100Ks per annum - maybe 250-350K?

One thing to remember is it's wholly owned and paid for so no rental/mortgage costs to be taken into account.

Also any costs should be offset against those previously incurred for transport/petrol/pitch rental/man-hours spent fannying about trying to find somewhere decent to train.

If, as is the aim, the facility also plays a part in attracting and developing new talent then it should prove a quality long term investment IMO.