PDA

View Full Version : East Stand - 12 months on.

Carheenlea
28-07-2011, 05:18 PM
This time last year we were all enjoying the daily photos of the East Stand and it's progress towards completion and opening, and wonder what everyones views are one year on.

Do those who were not in favour of demolishing the old East still feel that way?

I have only been in it 3 times, but the views from there compared to the old east are absolutely fantastic. Atmosphere wise, we have lost the rawness and raucous atmosphere that can never be replicated in the new stand, but on the (sadly rare) occasions when full, it does produce a great racket.
I have my ST in the West and still get a feeling of awe when walking in and clasping eyes on the new structure, and have pride that our stadium looks absolutely magnificent.
Yes, we all want to see a product on the park, but this is being covered in numerous other threads. I was in favour of the new stand, and the rise in capacity to 20,000+, and believe that now we have no major capital expense for the forseeable future, unlike others who have to find funds for stadium improvements in the coming years amid challenging economic climes, the club will be stronger for it. Maybe not this season, but I'm more optimistic about the future of our club than I would be if I was a supporter of our SPL peers.

Mon Dieu4
28-07-2011, 05:22 PM
This time last year we were all enjoying the daily photos of the East Stand and it's progress towards completion and opening, and wonder what everyones views are one year on.

Do those who were not in favour of demolishing the old East still feel that way?

I have only been in it 3 times, but the views from there compared to the old east are absolutely fantastic. Atmosphere wise, we have lost the rawness and raucous atmosphere that can never be replicated in the new stand, but on the (sadly rare) occasions when full, it does produce a great racket.
I have my ST in the West and still get a feeling of awe when walking in and clasping eyes on the new structure, and have pride that our stadium looks absolutely magnificent.
Yes, we all want to see a product on the park, but this is being covered in numerous other threads. I was in favour of the new stand, and the rise in capacity to 20,000+, and believe that now we have no major capital expense for the forseeable future, unlike others who have to find funds for stadium improvements in the coming years amid challenging economic climes, the club will be stronger for it. Maybe not this season, but I'm more optimistic about the future of our club than I would be if I was a supporter of our SPL peers.

I agree with everything you say however every part of me hungers for a pillar blocking my view, being able to stand on your seat in lawlessness and having to pee in a hole in the ground, I really really miss the old East it was different class :dummytit:

SanFranHibs
28-07-2011, 05:33 PM
I agree with everything you say however every part of me hungers for a pillar blocking my view, being able to stand on your seat in lawlessness and having to pee in a hole in the ground, I really really miss the old East it was different class :dummytit:

Can't they accomodate you?

:greengrin

madabouthibs
28-07-2011, 05:33 PM
Loved the old East when it went up and we could stand at barriers, hated it with seats! I love the new east though, get a nice tan if your low enough!

Baldy
28-07-2011, 05:34 PM
I prefer the old stand .. that's where the atmosphere was, the new one has as much atmosphere as a Library except at the library you don't have the 12 men

Hibs Class
28-07-2011, 05:34 PM
I liked the old East, but for me the old East was the high, two tier terracing of the 70s when I started attending. I didn't like the pillared, seated East of the last 20 or so years which is why I spent the last decade in the FF, but I really liked being back in the East last year, high up and in the centre. It's a cracking view and reminds me of the view in the 70s - maybe better now as the stand is set a bit further back from the pitch so I can see the whole shy-line.

Keith_M
28-07-2011, 05:49 PM
I disagree with the comment about the atmosphere. It's whatever the fans make it, not the structure.

FWIW, the new stand has the potential to generate much more noise, with increased capacity and the accoustics. It's just up to the fans to make the noise. At least there are some people making the effort, despite what's happening on the park.

marinello59
28-07-2011, 05:54 PM
I disagree with the comment about the atmosphere. It's whatever the fans make it, not the structure.

FWIW, the new stand has the potential to generate much more noise, with increased capacity and the accoustics. It's just up to the fans to make the noise. At least there are some people making the effort, despite what's happening on the park.

You could never here much coming out of the old east, the sound seemed to get trapped in there. Any songs sung in there now just roll right out across the ground.

SanFranHibs
28-07-2011, 05:58 PM
I prefer the old stand .. that's where the atmosphere was, the new one has as much atmosphere as a Library except at the library you don't have the 12 men

It's in the history section !!!

Just ask the Hibernian....er...the librarian.

Scouse Hibee
28-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Have my season ticket in the West but have tried the East on one occasion.................it's crap, hate it, will never go back and it takes too long to get out at the end of the match.

matty_f
28-07-2011, 06:48 PM
I love the new stadium, and I can't wait til the days when we have a team on the pitch that lends itself to the fans creating a great atmosphere - not just singing but roars of encouragement, shouts of "yeeeaaaaaaa ooooowwwwwww" as shots narowly miss, opponents getting booed and not Hibs, football getting us out of our seats.

The Hurricane
28-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Have my season ticket in the West but have tried the East on one occasion.................it's crap, hate it, will never go back and it takes too long to get out at the end of the match.

Dont agree I am 6ft 3 there is much more leg room in the East and the angle of the seats give a much better view than the cramped space in the west.

Scouse Hibee
28-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Dont agree I am 6ft 3 there is much more leg room in the East and the angle of the seats give a much better view than the cramped space in the west.

Eh cramped space in the West no chance! At least not in the Upper where I sit, I'm not small myself!

Keith_M
28-07-2011, 06:58 PM

I actually like the East, except the time it takes to get out.

I realise this has been done to death, where people have pointed out it's well within safety limits or whatever, but it's quite irritating if you're anywhere near the rear of the Stand. It even takes a while when the crowd is really low.

3pm
28-07-2011, 07:37 PM
You can't fault the East for view and it's comfortable.

What pisses me off is that because we've been so poor, it's harder to strike up conversation and get a united atmosphere. It's still 'fractured' if you like.

Old East wins in that respect every time.

Kato
28-07-2011, 07:42 PM
It's whatever the fans make it, not the structure.

Exactly.

hibsbollah
28-07-2011, 07:42 PM
I miss the old East but I like the new one as well. It CAN generate an atmosphere, like the first game of last season v huns. We just need the team to match it.

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-07-2011, 07:43 PM
I like the old east better but i don't miss the bogs. New east is too steep for the auld yin as well.

down-the-slope
28-07-2011, 07:44 PM
I deam of the day when when can have a match like the AEK one with the staduim complete...now that will be a day I want to see :pray:

down-the-slope
28-07-2011, 07:47 PM
I liked the old East, but for me the old East was the high, two tier terracing of the 70s when I started attending. I didn't like the pillared, seated East of the last 20 or so years which is why I spent the last decade in the FF, but I really liked being back in the East last year, high up and in the centre. It's a cracking view and reminds me of the view in the 70s - maybe better now as the stand is set a bit further back from the pitch so I can see the whole shy-line.

people keep prattling on about 'old East' when referring to the 3 rd world shed of previous 20 years or so...the East went when the old terrace was Bulldozed....much better now and part of the stadium again

The recent shed was only noisy if you were in it.....

basehibby
28-07-2011, 08:12 PM

:agree: Hats off to the singing section for ensuring the new stand still has some noise coming out of it. I think in time, when we see some good football being played by successful Hibs sides at ER we will see the new East at it's best - we will see the whole ground full up and it'll be an awsome sight and an awsome sound - cannae wait :hyper:

NB - of course, it will then take even longer to fget out at the end of the game meaning ScouseHibee will have to wait even longer to get a pint in - ach well you can't please all of the people all of the time :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
28-07-2011, 08:51 PM
:agree: Hats off to the singing section for ensuring the new stand still has some noise coming out of it. I think in time, when we see some good football being played by successful Hibs sides at ER we will see the new East at it's best - we will see the whole ground full up and it'll be an awsome sight and an awsome sound - cannae wait :hyper:

NB - of course, it will then take even longer to fget out at the end of the game meaning ScouseHibee will have to wait even longer to get a pint in - ach well you can't please all of the people all of the time :greengrin

:cheers: You've got me sussed!

CallumLaidlaw
28-07-2011, 08:58 PM
I had a ST for 5 years in the west, and switched to the east, 3/4 of the way up, right on the halfway line. I absolutely love it there. Great view, and there is a good atmosphere in there when the crowd get going.

R'Albin
28-07-2011, 09:25 PM
I love the new stadium, and I can't wait til the days when we have a team on the pitch that lends itself to the fans creating a great atmosphere - not just singing but roars of encouragement, shouts of "yeeeaaaaaaa ooooowwwwwww" as shots narowly miss, opponents getting booed and not Hibs, football getting us out of our seats.

:agree: One day, hopefully soon....

James70
28-07-2011, 10:15 PM
The new East Stand reminds me very much of the old East Terracing before it was demolished and I think the single tier option was probably the correct choice. The completed stadium looks magnificient and all we need to do now is get a team on the park which is fit to grace the arena.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ospreywatcher/4917746300/in/set-72157602269717720/

Sir David Gray
28-07-2011, 10:39 PM
I really like my seat in the East Stand but I voted for a two-tiered stand during the consultation period and I would still have preferred a two-tiered stand today.

The stadium does look good, though, now it's got four modern stands.

Easter Road is now the best middle-sized football stadium in Scotland by quite some distance. We just need a team on the park which is worthy of it.

Dashing Bob S
28-07-2011, 10:51 PM
Would have preferred to have seen a two-tiered stand, with lavish executive boxes, paneled with a tasteful oak, catering done by Valvona and Crolla, served up boys in maroon waistcoats you could beat with a rhino-bone-handled canes if the service was shoddy or the game was going against us, but I suppose this will have to do.

Until we have the above, however, I don't think the infrastructure can ever be said to be truly finished.

One for Petrie to address, methinks.

basehibby
29-07-2011, 12:20 AM
Would have preferred to have seen a two-tiered stand, with lavish executive boxes, paneled with a tasteful oak, catering done by Valvona and Crolla, served up boys in maroon waistcoats you could beat with a rhino-bone-handled canes if the service was shoddy or the game was going against us, but I suppose this will have to do.

Until we have the above, however, I don't think the infrastructure can ever be said to be truly finished.

One for Petrie to address, methinks.

:faf:

.Sean.
29-07-2011, 12:48 AM
The stadium is one thing we shouldn't dedpair at it's ****ing magnificent and the envy of the diddies and the Big Team. Wait until we've a half-decent side and the East will ****ing rock. We'll eventually mob the place and the AEK atmosphere will be but a vague memory.Just need the fanny with the face fuzz to get his hand oot the nun's chuff and spend some dollar. Investment works BOTH ways, Petrie.

SanFranHibs
29-07-2011, 02:32 AM
The stadium is one thing we shouldn't dedpair at it's ****ing magnificent and the envy of the diddies and the Big Team. Wait until we've a half-decent side and the East will ****ing rock. We'll eventually mob the place and the AEK atmosphere will be but a vague memory.Just need the fanny with the face fuzz to get his hand oot the nun's chuff and spend some dollar. Investment works BOTH ways, Petrie.

:wink:

Hakim Sar
29-07-2011, 07:05 AM
Don't get the sentimentality with the old east. It was a toilet. Sounded great when you were in it but always found the sound evaporated and when you are in the west it wasn't exactly a wall of noise coming at you from the terrace.

Think the new stand is absolutely fantastic to look at. I like the attempts to fill the corners with advertising space. What are peoples thoughts on selling away tickets right in the corner of east at Category A games to boost revenue/attendance/atmosphere?

sahib
29-07-2011, 07:10 AM

A two tier might have been the better option. Atmosphere and nutters downstairs, people wanting to watch the game upper level.

Billy Whizz
29-07-2011, 07:42 AM
Don't get the sentimentality with the old east. It was a toilet. Sounded great when you were in it but always found the sound evaporated and when you are in the west it wasn't exactly a wall of noise coming at you from the terrace.

Think the new stand is absolutely fantastic to look at. I like the attempts to fill the corners with advertising space. What are peoples thoughts on selling away tickets right in the corner of east at Category A games to boost revenue/attendance/atmosphere?

Not in the East but they could do this in the end nearest the West as this is now empty. Used to split this stand in the old West!

marinello59
29-07-2011, 07:57 AM
Not in the East but they could do this in the end nearest the West as this is now empty. Used to split this stand in the old West!

The wings in the East are empty too. And the East Stand is properly set up for segregation, unlike the West.

down-the-slope
29-07-2011, 08:10 AM
lets just get behind the team on the pitch...see an improvement as the weeks go by ( I think we will ) A decent cup run is really needed for finance and the chance to win silverware that it brings...and the feel good factor that brings to the club...

Then we will not have to worry about filling the ground in the same degree.....

I think the shambles at Ayr was the tipping point for many....we need the reverse of this to see a real positive lift...can't wait for cup draw...

marinello59
29-07-2011, 08:13 AM
lets just get behind the team on the pitch...see an improvement as the weeks go by ( I think we will ) A decent cup run is really needed for finance and the chance to win silverware that it brings...and the feel good factor that brings to the club...

Then we will not have to worry about filling the ground in the same degree.....

I think the shambles at Ayr was the tipping point for many....we need the reverse of this to see a real positive lift...can't wait for cup draw...

So do I.
And you are right, string a few results together and discussions about attendances will be redundant. :flag:

Jaz
29-07-2011, 08:44 AM
The new East in too big.

Total capacity of 20,000+ is 3,000 seats too many and will 'never' be needed.

5,000 - 8,000 empty seats for Cat A games is embarrasing!

Huge gaps for the Derby at ER is awful.

We are going to have to listen to "What a *****y home support!" for ever more. That makes me sad!

Jack
29-07-2011, 08:46 AM

That's it for me. We are absolutely gaggin’ on getting a team on the park that the East can explode to. Remember the relief and that explosion of emotion after we did score having not scored for seemed like a million minutes last season?

Eh cramped space in the West no chance! At least not in the Upper where I sit, I'm not small myself!

As far as I am aware the spacing and incline are exactly the same in the East and upper West. I’m sure someone at the club told us / me that was the case so time ago, maybe when it was being built.

bpw
29-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Did not expect to like it that much and I don't (although standing at the back of the singing section can be ok), stopped season ticket after it was built and went to more games elsewhere than games at Easter Road last season for first time since Williamson era (and some of the home games I went to I got complimentary tickets for!).

Sadly Tynecastle now a better stadium for atmosphere.

Jack
29-07-2011, 09:38 AM
Do not expect to like it that much and I don't (although standing at the back of the singing section can be ok), stopped season ticket after it was built and went to more games elsewhere than games at Easter Road last season for first time since Williamson era (and some of the home games I went to I got complimentary tickets for!).

Sadly Tynecastle now a better stadium for atmosphere.

Bollox!

The only time there's an atmosphere is when we’re there or the OF.

The rest of the time its like a morgue. No I haven’t been but it’s a regular thread subject on JKB and my sister-in-law goes regularly as a guest. Her comment is ‘I thought there would be folk singing and cheering on the team.’

The ‘good’ Tynecastle atmosphere is a myth.

bruno
29-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Bollox!

The only time there's an atmosphere is when we’re there or the OF.

The rest of the time its like a morgue. No I haven’t been but it’s a regular thread subject on JKB and my sister-in-law goes regularly as a guest. Her comment is ‘I thought there would be folk singing and cheering on the team.’

The ‘good’ Tynecastle atmosphere is a myth.

This is not a myth

Every away team makes a noise at Tynecastle so there is always an atmosphere
Unfortunately this is not reciprocated by the home fans except for twice a season v the OF and once (or twice) a season against Hibs

Curly1875
29-07-2011, 09:59 AM
I won't be happy until we get 40,000+ seats, a hotel, a restaurant, leisure center, a gym and a war memorial!!!!! Until this happens I'm never going back to Easter Road!!

Get it sorted Petrie!!!! :grr: :grr:

Hibs12thMan
29-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Here's our take on things

Shed - Capacity 3,300, Max attendance @3,000
East - Capacity 6,400, av att @ 4,000. Max attendance @6,200 against the Gers

Shed - Poor visibility, poor legroom, pillars in way, Temporary look stand
East - Fantastic views, proper seats, looks like a real stadium, still feels great after a full season

Shed - 100 singers under the gantry, vocal for 1/4 of the game if you were lucky, sound muffled
East - 200-400 singers at the back of Section 43, vocal for 2/3 to 3/4 of the game, sound carries to other stands

Shed - big flag displays hardly ever, lack of visual impact
East - Green Day 30 flags and Surfing Flags looked great, 100 flags on Sunday well received (still early days on that front)

Atmosphere. Hibs12thMan is still in it's early days but the Singing Section is a good place to be - 3 generations, both genders, fun, guid banter and most importantly - no negativity, no booing our players and constant support for the team. We just need that positivity to flow to all three stands - WIN, LOSE OR DRAW

Glory! Glory! :flag:

Speedway
29-07-2011, 11:13 AM
I won't be happy until we get 40,000+ seats, a hotel, a restaurant, leisure center, a gym and a war memorial!!!!! Until this happens I'm never going back to Easter Road!!

Get it sorted Petrie!!!! :grr: :grr:

:agree: When our then chairman Kenny Dalglish tore down the Old East he knew what he was doing. It should never have been built up in the first place. Surely everyone knew that the era of the Famous Four wouldn't last and crowds would dwindle again.

So when current Chairman Rod Stewart decided to build a new stand with room for more bums than a gorgie dole queue, I was incredulous. Surely Robert Lindsay and East Fife could've talked him out of it.

Still, we plundered the money brought in by selling the silver generation, the family gold, to build it and even Sir Tom Stoppard gave his blessing as owner.

Now it's emptier than Stan Boardman's bookings calendar and no wonder. No-one is going to get excited about Jimmy Calderwood signing the likes of Hugo Agogo, Efe Sodje and Des O'Connor are they?

Had we have built it in 2007 when we won the Scottish Cup with Joan Collins, it might have been a different story. FACT.

Hakim Sar
29-07-2011, 02:21 PM
You mean Peter Agogo?

blackpoolhibs
29-07-2011, 03:50 PM
I have had season tickets in both the west and now the east, for me the east wins hands down. My only gripe is getting out at the end, but when i was on the top tier over on the west, that was a pain too.

Now i just walk down the front when the clock hits the 90 minute mark, and watch whats left from there.

If i did that in the west, i'd miss the game walking down the stairs.

NAE NOOKIE
30-07-2011, 10:30 AM
Everything about the new East is better than the old one, apart from the time it takes to get out at the end.

The only thing Hibs should have done differently IMO is that the stand should have been 5,000 capacity. The ground now looks too empty at most games which is a shame and I'm sure a 19,000 capacity would have been more than enough for ER.

How to fill the ground ? ......... over to you Mr Petrie.

vercol36
30-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Not sure what people are talking about when they say it takes too long to get out of the new east. It takes about 10 minutes in my experience - for such a tall single-tiered stand that's not bad at all.

Dashing Bob S
30-07-2011, 03:09 PM

Fabulous!

Or is he the face with the fanny fuzz?