PDA

View Full Version : Phil Airey - wiki page

JimBHibees
28-07-2011, 03:33 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Airey

Seems like someone has updated his page to indicate a season loan to Hibs. Obviously needs to be taken with more pinches of salt than a salt mine :greengrin but hope it is right.

Sean1875
28-07-2011, 03:38 PM

Seems like someone has updated his page to indicate a season loan to Hibs. Obviously needs to be taken with more pinches of salt than a salt mine :greengrin but hope it is right.

It wasn't you by any chance was it? :wink: But seriously, fingers crossed, if hes as good as the reports weve heard could be a very good move by Hibs :agree:

The Hurricane
28-07-2011, 03:40 PM

Please be true, Young energetic striker to complement the other shall we say more experienced 3 strikers already here.:agree:

JimBHibees
28-07-2011, 03:44 PM
It wasn't you by any chance was it? :wink: But seriously, fingers crossed, if hes as good as the reports weve heard could be a very good move by Hibs :agree:

Nah the spelling was much too good for me. :greengrin

Might be nonsense but hope not with Newcastle now back from their US tour which Airey didnt go on however they will hopefully be in a better position to be allowing to send kids out on loan.

Lofarl
28-07-2011, 03:44 PM
I could edit Messi's page to make him a Hibee. What a load of Nade.

Sean1875
28-07-2011, 03:49 PM
thats the spirit :aok:

JimBHibees
28-07-2011, 03:49 PM

but why would you noone would believe it. :greengrin

scott7_0(Prague)
28-07-2011, 03:50 PM

Who ever updated the page updated it from Glasgow Caledonian University

General IP Information
Hostname: cbf030.gcal.ac.uk
ISP: The JNT Association
Organization: Glasgow Caledonian University
Services: None detected
Type: Broadband
Assignment: Static IP
Blacklist:
Geolocation Information
State/Region: Glasgow City
City: Glasgow
Latitude: 55.8333
Longitude: -4.25

Beefster
28-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Can't be true. We were told on here last week that Hibs didn't want to do loans any longer.

JimBHibees
28-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Can't be true. We were told on here last week that Hibs didn't want to do loans any longer.

Was it not 6 month loans rather than loans in general.

down-the-slope
28-07-2011, 04:44 PM
Loafing students :na na:

greenlex
28-07-2011, 04:48 PM
That was my take on it. :agree:

Beefster
28-07-2011, 08:44 PM

No, I'm fairly sure that it was loans per se. An example below. Anonymous because I'm not making a point against the poster that I've selected [at random] - he was one of a few stating it.

If it's only 6 month loans that are the problem, someone will be able to explain the harm that Towell did.

Loans are an unworkable legacy - part of the problem - not part of the solution.

ozzie
28-07-2011, 08:53 PM
i think loan deals for 6 months work in the january window. i cant see a big differenc between 1 year deals and 1 year loans apart from the fact u can rip up a 1 year deal and extend it.

smurf
28-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Newcastle want him to go out on loan. Have tried to persuade him of the merits for his career. Thus far he's resisted. He's a "Homebird".

Source a Newcastle Utd youth coach Sunday evening past in the Kings Manor Hotel.

IWasThere2016
29-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Newcastle want him to go out on loan. Have tried to persuade him of the merits for his career. Thus far he's resisted. He's a "Homebird".

Source a Newcastle Utd youth coach Sunday evening past in the Kings Manor Hotel.

Heard similar and that Airey thinks he can get in first teaam squad. Told Toon don't think he's ready, nor does CC hence his interest. Might take a week or two of EPL season for Airey to see his options more clearly. Source - NE based journo a few weeks back.

Caversham Green
29-07-2011, 08:36 AM
No, I'm fairly sure that it was loans per se. An example below. Anonymous because I'm not making a point against the poster that I've selected [at random] - he was one of a few stating it.

If it's only 6 month loans that are the problem, someone will be able to explain the harm that Towell did.

Towell was a loan until the end of the season. If we'd taken Sheridan on a 6 month loan rather than until the end of the season, we'd have had to either extend the loan (probably at higher cost) or look for another striker mid-way through the season.

Stevie Reid
29-07-2011, 08:48 AM

Heard similar and that Airey thinks he can get in first teaam squad. Told Toon don't think he's ready, nor does CC hence his interest. Might take a week or two of EPL season for Airey to see his options more clearly. Source - NE based journo a few weeks back.

Certainly doesn't seem to fit in with CC only wanting players who want to play for Hibs, even if it's only a loan deal. I'd happily take on another striker, especially one with attributes that Airey apparently has - I just find it extremely strange that he is seemingly unwilling to make a short term move (over very small distance) to further his career.

Maybe he's just supremely confident in his ability and really does believe that he will be in the first team soon - but his apparent reticence to give himself a higher profile does seem very strange. Would welcome him nonetheless.

JimBHibees
29-07-2011, 09:02 AM
Towell was a loan until the end of the season. If we'd taken Sheridan on a 6 month loan rather than until the end of the season, we'd have had to either extend the loan (probably at higher cost) or look for another striker mid-way through the season.

Absolutely much more sense to take a 6 month loan to the end of the season in January if people get injured or are out of form and a position needs filled. Doesnt to me make much sense to be taking a half season loan at the start though no doubt each deal is different.

JimBHibees
29-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Certainly doesn't seem to fit in with CC only wanting players who want to play for Hibs, even if it's only a loan deal. I'd happily take on another striker, especially one with attributes that Airey apparently has - I just find it extremely strange that he is seemingly unwilling to make a short term move (over very small distance) to further his career.

Maybe he's just supremely confident in his ability and really does believe that he will be in the first team soon - but his apparent reticence to give himself a higher profile does seem very strange. Would welcome him nonetheless.

It would be disappointing if he didnt come in, in the sense that it sounds like he is highly regarded however maybe he fancies playing somewhere closer like Darlington or Hartlepool rather than up here. Although Newcastle is close enough geography wise the poor road between means other places further south of Newcastle are equally handy to get too due to the better motorway network.

I think we need to bear in mind it looked like he was lined up in January for a shorter loan then he got injured. He may not fancy committing to a season loan. Given that he wasnt on the recent US tour and appeared to be playing in development squad friendlies would seem to suggest that he isnt particularly close to the first team squad especially given that no doubt Newcastle will be looking to bring in a forward or two on the back of the Carroll money. Maybe CC's words about having a choice may have been aimed at guys like him to an extent in that we might be looking elsewhere however I dont think we are in a particularly strong negotiating position. Another factor may be the CC will he / wont he saga as CC is no doubt the reason Airey would come here, he would not be so keen if CC were to move and another guy took over especially if he is as much a homebird as is being made out.

Beefster
29-07-2011, 10:00 AM

So it's not loans that are a problem, despite what we were told last week. The fact that folk are now saying that it's only six month loans that end in January that are, perhaps, the issue is revisionism (not directed at you specifically btw).

Regarding your scenario, if a player helps us improve our league placing then I don't see the issue with what period he does it in. A loan is, by its very definition, a short-term fix that will have to be dealt with at some point. As Trakys, Duffy, Jonleit and more have shown us, a loan to the end of the season doesn't give any extra assurances.

Caversham Green
29-07-2011, 10:42 AM
So it's not loans that are a problem, despite what we were told last week. The fact that folk are now saying that it's only six month loans that end in January that are, perhaps, the issue is revisionism (not directed at you specifically btw).

Regarding your scenario, if a player helps us improve our league placing then I don't see the issue with what period he does it in. A loan is, by its very definition, a short-term fix that will have to be dealt with at some point. As Trakys, Duffy, Jonleit and more have shown us, a loan to the end of the season doesn't give any extra assurances.

I'm suggesting that the mindset ie different. Towell was signed to help dig us out of a hole we were already in. It was critical that we got out of the real relegation trouble we were in and Towell was undoubtedly a short term fix. Sheridan was seen as part of preparation for a new season where the aim is to build a competitive team. If a key part of that team disappears half way through the season that produces a problem rather than a solution.

I would think the choice was either Sheridan or A N Other (possibly Junior, possibly someone else) and if the latter is available for a full season (assuming similar ability levels) he immediately becomes more attractive even if it means missing the first game of the season. Personally, I would have preferred to see Hibs signing someone like Sheridan on a longer term permanent deal, but it doesn't look like that was ever going to be viable.

Captain Trips
29-07-2011, 11:00 AM
I was under the impression that after we cleared out the dross and 1 or 2 good players also I may add that during the close season we would be building for the future and getting some stability yet we are still looking at season loans and short deals, I do not think it is going to work we had lots of folk with deals running out last year we have a few now and possibly looking to bring in more, IMO this is heading for another disaster.

Speedway
29-07-2011, 11:05 AM
I was under the impression that after we cleared out the dross and 1 or 2 good players also I may add that during the close season we would be building for the future and getting some stability yet we are still looking at season loans and short deals, I do not think it is going to work we had lots of folk with deals running out last year we have a few now and possibly looking to bring in more, IMO this is heading for another disaster.

How could it not, without the Hibs board slaving away to create disasters for the fans, what else would there be to discuss?

It's a disgrace.

shagpile
29-07-2011, 11:20 AM

Rules out a yam then?

Bayern Bru
29-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Rules out a yam then?

Why? 'cause Yams are generally too thick to attend uni? :greengrin

DC_Hibs
29-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Rules out a yam then?

Indeed, they're more likely to be hanging around schools.