PDA

View Full Version : Patience is a virtue....

ManBearPig
28-07-2011, 02:29 PM
We have heard over past 2-3 years how Hibernian have failed to live up to many of our high expectations (and recently even modest expectations). However can I point out that during this time we have sold several very talented players resulting in huge windfalls of cash for the club. Before anybody starts in about we shouldn't have sold our best players, all clubs sell their prized players eventually! (look at Christiano Ronaldo!) Thanks to a shrewd board and good management the money received was generous.

In fact so generous Hibernian have had enough to fund a fourth stand and finally after many moons a purpose built training facility. (Which I believe was part of Mowbray's vision for the club.) These things that many call white elephant or distractions are anything but, if you truly want your club to develop and move forward these things are essential! We now have the infrastructure to take this club forward but it takes time for the young players to benefit from these facilities and take the club forward. Show me another Scottish club (outside the infirm) with such facilities, stadium and sound financial footing?

Unfortunately we are impatient by nature and feel as though we should be competing at high level constantly. I know it's hard to support Hibs these days and I felt the fear of relegation last year for the first time since the Duffy era. I feel that we should acknowledge that this is a transition phase and get behind the club and when (and it is inevitable) the new facilities start paying dividends and the new quality players come through we will have a stadium, which will accommodate the support and atmosphere that a top quality team deserves. And if these players should wish to move on to other teams the money we will receive will be hopefully be available to be spent on the squad, as there are no gaping holes in the club infrastructure.

I know I go on about it, but the one thing we do need is a manager with a clear vision, direction and motivation. I do not know if CC is that man, but I certainly hope so. Remember it took Ferguson at Man Utd 4-5 years to bring through Giggs, Scholes, the Neville Bros and even Beckham. During that time (although they deny it now.) he was almost sacked. BTW I am not a Sc umchester fan just cant think of a better example of manager with vision and good development facilities can accomplish GIVEN THE TIME TO DO SO! Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will the rebuilding of Hibernian on the field.

GGTTH.

down-the-slope
28-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Patience is a Virtue....seldom found in men and Never found in women.....apparently :greengrin

sahib
28-07-2011, 03:03 PM
Transition phase since 1952.

Spike Mandela
28-07-2011, 03:47 PM
No Scottish Cup since 1902. Just how patient do you expect a man to be? It would be nice to have a team that challenges consistently before I die.

Out of interest how long is it reasonable to be considered in 'transition'?

sunshine1875
28-07-2011, 04:17 PM
We have heard over past 2-3 years how Hibernian have failed to live up to many of our high expectations (and recently even modest expectations). However can I point out that during this time we have sold several very talented players resulting in huge windfalls of cash for the club. Before anybody starts in about we shouldn't have sold our best players, all clubs sell their prized players eventually! (look at Christiano Ronaldo!) Thanks to a shrewd board and good management the money received was generous.

In fact so generous Hibernian have had enough to fund a fourth stand and finally after many moons a purpose built training facility. (Which I believe was part of Mowbray's vision for the club.) These things that many call white elephant or distractions are anything but, if you truly want your club to develop and move forward these things are essential! We now have the infrastructure to take this club forward but it takes time for the young players to benefit from these facilities and take the club forward. Show me another Scottish club (outside the infirm) with such facilities, stadium and sound financial footing?

Unfortunately we are impatient by nature and feel as though we should be competing at high level constantly. I know it's hard to support Hibs these days and I felt the fear of relegation last year for the first time since the Duffy era. I feel that we should acknowledge that this is a transition phase and get behind the club and when (and it is inevitable) the new facilities start paying dividends and the new quality players come through we will have a stadium, which will accommodate the support and atmosphere that a top quality team deserves. And if these players should wish to move on to other teams the money we will receive will be hopefully be available to be spent on the squad, as there are no gaping holes in the club infrastructure.

I know I go on about it, but the one thing we do need is a manager with a clear vision, direction and motivation. I do not know if CC is that man, but I certainly hope so. Remember it took Ferguson at Man Utd 4-5 years to bring through Giggs, Scholes, the Neville Bros and even Beckham. During that time (although they deny it now.) he was almost sacked. BTW I am not a Sc umchester fan just cant think of a better example of manager with vision and good development facilities can accomplish GIVEN THE TIME TO DO SO! Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will the rebuilding of Hibernian on the field.

GGTTH.

Rod, is that you.

You are obviously 100% correct in everything you say. However, the problem with any long-term strategy is the rate of change and the achievement of milestones along the way.

I would like to agree that we should so have a conveyor belt of young football stars any time soon. But when? What if we don't?

It can't all be based on youngsters! At what stage do we pay a little bit extra for that special player. I feel that our footballing revolution has to be based on a star, a Sauzee type player that will raise moral and help develop team-mates. Unfortunately, there was only one Sauzee.

SanFranHibs
28-07-2011, 04:40 PM
Rod, is that you.

You are obviously 100% correct in everything you say. However, the problem with any long-term strategy is the rate of change and the achievement of milestones along the way.

I would like to agree that we should so have a conveyor belt of young football stars any time soon. But when? What if we don't?

It can't all be based on youngsters! At what stage do we pay a little bit extra for that special player. I feel that our footballing revolution has to be based on a star, a Sauzee type player that will raise moral and help develop team-mates. Unfortunately, there was only one Sauzee.

But I have to say.....oh I give up !!!!

:greengrin

ManBearPig
28-07-2011, 08:11 PM
Rod, is that you.

You know you are right, I would love another cup win and think we deserve at least that!! back in 07 that really should've been a CIS , holy grail double come on f***in dunfermline!? but it wasnt, and 2001;Le God's final was an opportunity missed. bloody Larsson! (was that really ten years ago!!!!)

My point was that we do have a lot to be proud of and with the right manager, youth setup and a bit of luck(sorely missed we are ready to develop back into the major club Hibernian should be in scottish football.

Yours Sincerely
Rod Petrie
:wink:

ManBearPig
28-07-2011, 08:13 PM
No Scottish Cup since 1902. Just how patient do you expect a man to be? It would be nice to have a team that challenges consistently before I die.

Out of interest how long is it reasonable to be considered in 'transition'?

I would say we have been in transition since JC left along with half the squad leaving the club with only money and no real direction or style.

frazeHFC
28-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Transition phase since 1952. Transition phase number 1952. :wink:

R'Albin
28-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Typical knee jerk reaction

:greengrin