PDA

View Full Version : Which Hibs Players Do You Wish Had Been Better?

Future17
27-07-2011, 06:38 PM
Have you ever taken a liking to a player Hibs have signed and been really excited about them, only for them to be a bitter disappointment or leave the club too soon?

My immediate choices would be Andy Dow (disappointment) and Marc Libbra (left to soon).

hibsbollah
27-07-2011, 06:41 PM
Agathe, Libbra, Johansen (who I mistakenly thought would be a superb signing).

ancient hibee
27-07-2011, 06:52 PM
John Brogan

Colin Grant

Jim Black

Davie Laing

Barry Lavety

George McCluskey

Mark McGraw

Alan O'Brien

Derek Riordan(mark 2)

Andy Watson

Stephen Glass

Mark79
27-07-2011, 06:54 PM
Benji, hart,de graaf,maka

Craig_in_Prague
27-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Tony Rougier - Was quite quick and also strong, but seemed to always run out of breath (know the feeling) and recall him being a bit dissapointing but I thought he had more in him given his attributes.
Any one of our truely awful goal keepers
Crunchie (was not bad with us but thought we'd have got better.... )
Brian Kerr - Would have saved all of us a whole lot of time typing etc

Diclonius
27-07-2011, 06:57 PM
Alan O'Brien.

Looked immense in pre season until he crashed into that wall.

Pedantic_Hibee
27-07-2011, 06:58 PM
Didi Agathe.............his performance against Dundee in a 5v2 win(I think?) was absolutely electric. And then he left.

--------
27-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Every player we ever signed.... :rolleyes:

Thecat23
27-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Pretty much everyone who wore a Hibs strip since we last wonthe Scottish!!

Sodje_18
27-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Derek Riordan (wish he went down south instead of septic, really wanted him to make it down there)
Alan O'Brien
De Graaf
Colin Nish

Sammy7nil
27-07-2011, 07:05 PM
Lewis Stevenson
Gareth Evans
Joe Tortolana
Yves Makalamby

Liked them all wish they could have ben better

.Sean.
27-07-2011, 07:42 PM
Denes Rosa, thought he was gonna be class.

Jonnyboy
27-07-2011, 07:48 PM
Hugh Hamill

SneakersO'Toole
27-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Paul Hartley

heidtheba
27-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Stevie Crawford
Tony Rougier
Hakim Sar Temsoury cos he was great in Fifa Manager!

Oh...and almost every player Duffy signed

sunshine1875
27-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Stephen Glass

I thought Stephen Glass performed well for Hibs, but was unlucky to play in a Hibs team with Brown, Thomson, Boozy etc and was over-shadowed by their play. That said he missed only a couple of games in the 2005/06 season. The next season he filled in as a full back covering for Murphy. I always thought he played well, but suffered because he was not seen as being as good as others around him.

My memory of him will always be that finish against Aberdeen to give us a 2-1 victory. He could also cross the ball better than many, if not all, of the current crop of players. I would happily have him in my team today - the 2004 vintage player!

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-07-2011, 08:11 PM
Every player we ever signed.... :rolleyes: Is surely the correct response.

DH1875
27-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Erm...All of them.
The 2 that come to mind are Fabian Yantorno and Yannick Zambernardi.

we are hibs
27-07-2011, 08:30 PM
dens rosa and zarabi

Alfred E Newman
27-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Every player we ever signed.... :rolleyes:

Beat me to it Doddie. The whole bloody lot!

Scouse Hibee
27-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Ray Wilkins

PISTOL1875
27-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Alan O'Brien was a first.. I seen him at Stirling and couldn't believe the pace the guy had... Brian Kerr was another.. After he scored at Tynecastle , I thought we had found our replacement for Scott Brown with goals from midfield being an added bonus.. How wrong was I ??

Purehibee_MYB
27-07-2011, 09:11 PM
Paul Dalgliesh
Alan O'Brien
Danny Galbraith
Yantorno

Curly1875
27-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Kurtis byrnereally wanted him to make it although he is young, I've never seen much of him but hearing about his loan spell he sounded decent. Feel like we might have missed something by not renewing his contract

PaulSmith
27-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Kevin Harper, Paul Riley, Mike Renwick and the rest of the best Hutchie Vale team ever that Miller managed to get into the youth set up at ER.

The Falcon
27-07-2011, 09:26 PM
I thought Derek collins was good and hugely underated but if he had been just a wee bit better he would have shone.

I was dissapointed for Mark McGraw who was touted for great things. Really felt for the guy.

DAVE1875
27-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Alan O'Brien (Looked immense until the season actually started, Collins proclaimed him the fasted player in Britain)
Brian Kerr (As said before, thought he was our answer to losing Scott Brown to Smelltic)
Yves Ma-Kalambay (Heard alot about him from a Chelsea supporting mate, sounded like a decent young goalie)
Fabian Yantorno (From what I remember, some Hibs fans were calling him our missing link in midfield, shame he was plagued with injuries)
Mickael Antoine-Curier (After he scored in the Scottish Cup game I thought we had a new Garry O'Connor in our ranks)
Abdessalam Benjelloun (Was absolutely amazing during the 2006-2007 season, especially in the cup final, was good in the season after that until he got injured, after that he sort basically evaporated in form)
Graeme Smith (We were all waxing lyrical about him before he came)
Kevin McCann (Looked good on his debut againt Aberdeen, thought we had a player who could be the next Steven Whittaker in a few seasons)
Francis Dickoh (Big, strong, looked the perfect partner for Bamba. Highlight of his time at Hibs was obviously the goals agains't Der Hun, after Bamba left he was like the son of a divorced couple)

Speedway
27-07-2011, 09:36 PM
I'm surprised that anyone thought that some of the players mentioned on here were going to be any good.

For me though in recent years, it was two keepers.

Morten 'The New Schmeichel' Hyldergaard

and

The Mad Monk, who I thought was quality for us in the short time that he was sober...I mean available for selection.

sundo1875
27-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Mixu as a manager, I always remember that day up at inverness when the hibs fans were singing mixu gtf , a very sad day imo. For players de graaf colin nish and makalambay one of the nicest person I've seen

ian cruise
27-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Michael Hart. I really believed we were getting an experienced player who had a lot of pace and a bit of graft. I remember many a thread complaining that it didn't look like we were going to sign him and the relief I felt when we did. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.....

duvaldo99
27-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Thorsten Schmugge

Hiber-nation
27-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Paul Hartley.

CallumLaidlaw
27-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Colin Nish
Ed De Graaf
Jarko Wiss
Benji
John Rankin - if only his skill matched his effort

HibeeSince85
27-07-2011, 10:02 PM
I thought Stephen Glass performed well for Hibs, but was unlucky to play in a Hibs team with Brown, Thomson, Boozy etc and was over-shadowed by their play. That said he missed only a couple of games in the 2005/06 season. The next season he filled in as a full back covering for Murphy. I always thought he played well, but suffered because he was not seen as being as good as others around him.My memory of him will always be that finish against Aberdeen to give us a 2-1 victory. He could also cross the ball better than many, if not all, of the current crop of players. I would happily have him in my team today - the 2004 vintage player! Stephen Glass was a good player for us, we forget how good a team we had for awhile.Paco Luna is my answer for the question, he fits both, wish he was just that little bit more consistent but would have still kept him longer.

DH1875
27-07-2011, 10:34 PM
Paco Luna is my answer for the question, he fits both, wish he was just that little bit more consistent but would have still kept him longer.

One of my fav players to have worn the jersey :agree:.

madabouthibs
27-07-2011, 11:50 PM
Steve Cowan (after Durie left he was awful!)
Paul Dalgliesh (Had a lot to live up to)
Sauzee ( I didn't want him to give up playing and become manager)
O'brien (O'dear mare like!)
Maka (Loved the big guy, sometimes I just wanted to run on the park and give him a big hug!)
< Sam Morrow (really nice young guy, I don't thin khe got a fair crack with us.)
Rankin ( He was my lads favourite player)
Riordan (2nd time around)
Hoggy ( last couple of seasons)

DMR1875
28-07-2011, 12:32 AM
george best...

Hibernian Verse
28-07-2011, 12:56 AM
Martin Scott - I wanted him to be the next Prince Buaben or Morgaro Gomis, but turns out it's only the other SPL teams that can find gems in the lower leagues.

basehibby
28-07-2011, 01:28 AM
All of them with very few exceptions, but these ones spring to mind from recent times...

Liam Miller - thought he'd be a real star for us but he only showed it in flashes
Benji - had great faith in him after his first season but he couldn't seem to get his heid right after that
Nish - He lived the dream but it turned sour as he struggled to overcome his shortcomings and meet the fans' expectations
Maka - had high hopes for him when he arrived from Chelsea but couldn't rise to the challenge
De Graaf - His pedigree promised much but has yet to show he has enough left in the tank to make an impact at Hibs.

KWJ
28-07-2011, 04:31 AM
I'm surprised that anyone thought that some of the players mentioned on here were going to be any good.

For me though in recent years, it was two keepers.

Morten 'The New Schmeichel' Hyldergaard

and

The Mad Monk, who I thought was quality for us in the short time that he was sober...I mean available for selection.

We don't know how Big Mort was because Danny A kept him out the team :/