PDA

View Full Version : Year to Olympics v Football

down-the-slope
27-07-2011, 04:19 PM
given that its a year today until Olympics...Surely :rolleyes: the flumps at the SPL will not start the season 10 days in advance of this and in direct competition to it for a further 2 weeks, given the poor attendances / transfer issues already caused this year...

When will the fans ever get a say on the running (ruining) of our game...only bright spot is the 10 team guff has been blocked...but with 11from12 voting needed for any change its going to take a lot of talking (or big wedge of cash) to get a better set up...or any change good or bad for that matter

* Admin might want to bolt this to attendance thread after a bit...but thought this issue worth a highlight

Future17
27-07-2011, 05:33 PM
It's an interesting one. IIRC correctly, the earlier season start was supposed to help our clubs in European competition and that seems to have worked amazingly well....

However, there is also some debate as to whether or not the agreement to hold Olympic football matches at Hampden, signed by the SFA, prevents Rangers and Celtic from playing SFA sanctioned matches during the tournament.

If that proves to be the case (and the SPL aims for an early kick-off again) the OF would have to be scheduled away from home for 3 out of the first 4 league matches of the new season. In turn that would cause further scheduling problems as they cannot both play at home during the same weekend.

bod
27-07-2011, 06:39 PM
what if they play the olympic football during the week,when theres no weegie football on ?

Future17
27-07-2011, 08:02 PM
what if they play the olympic football during the week,when theres no weegie football on ?

I think the whole point of the apparent clause is that they want to fill stadiums for the Olympic games (and Games :greengrin) so they want access to a bigger audience, i.e. weekends and no alternatives on offer.

Obviously some games will have to be during the week but, given the location of the other grounds being used, I'm guessing the Hampden will host an entire group (6 games) and possibly knockout phase games so I'd expect a few weekends to be covered. The football tournament actually kicks off before the Olympics themselves.