PDA

View Full Version : Signing Issues

down-the-slope
27-07-2011, 07:30 AM
"There will still be 31 days of the transfer window to see if anything develops.
"The important point to understand, and Alex has made clear, is that we need someone who is going to improve the quality of the squad.
"We have a great squad and to get into that squad you need to be a world class player.
"If you can't get the players you want, there is no point buying someone for the sake of it. But you never know, there is often movement in August.

David Gill - Man United

Even one of the biggest clubs in the world having to explain how the transfer market works .. fact that a lot of movement is not till August..and that buying players unless they improve the squad is folly......Still Hibs are different :rolleyes:

number 27
27-07-2011, 07:39 AM
"There will still be 31 days of the transfer window to see if anything develops.
"The important point to understand, and Alex has made clear, is that we need someone who is going to improve the quality of the squad.
"We have a great squad and to get into that squad you need to be a world class player.
"If you can't get the players you want, there is no point buying someone for the sake of it. But you never know, there is often movement in August.

David Gill - Man United

Even one of the biggest clubs in the world having to explain how the transfer market works .. fact that a lot of movement is not till August..and that buying players unless they improve the squad is folly......Still Hibs are different :rolleyes:

Maybe Man U already have a decent squad featuring a competent Right back and options up front. In fact maybe their situation is so different from ours to make the comparison ridiculous.

Still at least you got to roll your eyes and show how much more rational you are compared to other fans so it's job done really :rolleyes:

matty_f
27-07-2011, 07:41 AM
Maybe Man U already have a decent squad featuring a competent Right back and options up front. In fact maybe their situation is so different from ours to make the comparison ridiculous.

Still at least you got to roll your eyes and show how much more rational you are compared to other fans so it's job done really :rolleyes:

He is right, though.

HibeeSince85
27-07-2011, 07:42 AM
"There will still be 31 days of the transfer window to see if anything develops."The important point to understand, and Alex has made clear, is that we need someone who is going to improve the quality of the squad."We have a great squad and to get into that squad you need to be a world class player."If you can't get the players you want, there is no point buying someone for the sake of it. But you never know, there is often movement in August.David Gill - Man UnitedEven one of the biggest clubs in the world having to explain how the transfer market works .. fact that a lot of movement is not till August..and that buying players unless they improve the squad is folly......Still Hibs are different :rolleyes: Which is like someone comparing shopping in Waitrose to Lidl.

Dalianwanda
27-07-2011, 07:43 AM
Was his point not more to do with the transfer market? :rolleyes: :greengrin

Personally I don't know whats available thats better than what we have an available (yes I know there has to be something!), I know we need more players, I don't know what we are currently doing to get more players..I would say that goes for the majority of posters here..

bighairyfaeleith
27-07-2011, 07:44 AM
He is right, though.

He can't be right because he hasn't written it as an open letter to all hibs fans. Neither has he said "Petrie GTF"

His post has absolutely no credibility in my eyes

bingo70
27-07-2011, 07:45 AM

David Gill - Man United

I think hibs were facing different issues than what man u face when entering the transfer window:-

1. we had released something like 17 players
2. we shop for bosmans that are available at the start of the window or available on pre-contract agreements
3. the players they want are world class players that other clubs won't let go easily or until a replacement is bought
4. our season started much earlier than theres did
5. we had an absolute disaster of a season last season and needed early transfers to get punters excited in order to purchase season tickets

Obviously he's right in that it's better to wait and get someone good in rather than just any old squad member but with the amount of players we had leaving IMO we should have had pre-contract agreements set up or at least a string of replacements ready to join when pre-season training started.

Despite what David Gill says to start the season with one fit (even he isnae fit, not really sure why though, he's not been injured) and no natural right back is a piece of nonsense IMO.

matty_f
27-07-2011, 07:46 AM
He can't be right because he hasn't written it as an open letter to all hibs fans. Neither has he said "Petrie GTF"

His post has absolutely no credibility in my eyes

open letter writing folk ken whits gaun oan.

Cabbage1875
27-07-2011, 07:57 AM
He is right, though.

Oh come off it. You cannot be serious. To compare one of the most polished squads in world football's transfer policy with the shambles we are watching at the moment is down right ludicrous.

If Sunday was not a moment of clarity for you then I have no idea when our current situation would become urgent for you. Is it when we are adrift in November?

Accusations of knicker wetting and pressing the panic button to follow...

down-the-slope
27-07-2011, 07:57 AM
Which is like someone comparing shopping in Waitrose to Lidl.

:agree: you are saying that as if I don't know that :rolleyes: (apparently people don't like these being used)

Its still shopping..you can only shop when the shop is open..you can only buy whats being offered in your chosen shop (price bracket)...and those who are aware know reduced price stuff is most likely near closing (even in Waitrose)

Green_one
27-07-2011, 07:58 AM
He is right, though.

No I do not think he is right. The comparison is ridiculous. The only correct thing is that there is still some time in the transfer market . Apart from that

Man United have already brought in a group of excelent players in key positions. They have been tracking some of those for a while and muscled out the competition
Man United are pursuing some others who due to their quality are harder to snag as clubs need replacements. Actively pursued by Gill.
United almost always buy early. That pattern is repeated by other clubs who needed to buy e.g. Liverpool
United won the league and got to the Champions League final and just need alterations to their side / squad
Have had a sucessful tour in the USA
Their manager has been there 25 years
United have the money, name and manager to attract players

Meantime Hibs .........?

Need serious changes
Lose out out to SJ on a loan player we had on trial
Are already second bottom of the league showing the form of last season, which is no surprise, given we have the same team / manager
Cannot beat Falkirk
Our manager could leave tomorrow
No-one in their right mind would join Hibs at present

Any team can be disappointed in the transfer market. We are amongst the more desperate and most unlikely to get the players we need.

down-the-slope
27-07-2011, 08:02 AM
Was his point not more to do with the transfer market? :rolleyes: :greengrin

Personally I don't know whats available thats better than what we have an available (yes I know there has to be something!), I know we need more players, I don't know what we are currently doing to get more players..I would say that goes for the majority of posters here..

:top marks

jdships
27-07-2011, 08:03 AM

Is there a difference ? - both 2nd rate :wink::greengrin

jdships
27-07-2011, 08:14 AM
No I do not think he is right. The comparison is ridiculous. The only correct thing is that there is still some time in the transfer market . Apart from that

Man United have already brought in a group of excelent players in key positions. They have been tracking some of those for a while and muscled out the competition
Man United are pursuing some others who due to their quality are harder to snag as clubs need replacements. Actively pursued by Gill.
United almost always buy early. That pattern is repeated by other clubs who needed to buy e.g. Liverpool
United won the league and got to the Champions League final and just need alterations to their side / squad

Meantime Hibs .........?

Need serious changes
Are already second bottom of the league showing the form of last season, which is no surprise, given we have the same team / manager
Cannot beat Falkirk

Any team can be disappointed in the transfer market. We are amongst the more desperate and most unlikely to get the players we need.

Does anyone including you know the facts as to why CS didn't sign for Hibs ?
Second bottom after one game - WOW PANIC !!!!
Again what are the facts behind this statement re joining Hibs ?
Once more - source ?

Ever thought of working for the Daily ******/Sun ?

:wink::greengrin:flag:

bingo70
27-07-2011, 08:18 AM
[/B]

Does anyone including you know the facts as to why CS didn't sign for Hibs ?
Second bottom after one game - WOW PANIC !!!!
Again what are the facts behind this statement re joining Hibs ?
Once more - source ?

Ever thought of working for the Daily ******/Sun ?

:wink::greengrin:flag:

I think the only fact that anyone knows is that CC wanted him, we don't know if it was a 6 month loan, year loan or permanent transfer but CC wanted him and we didn't get him, now for what reason we don't know for a fact but we definately wanted him and he definately didn't join us (trying to do winkie smilie but not working)

ScottB
27-07-2011, 08:20 AM
Of course he's right.

Regardless of level, you want to be bringing in the best players you can, there is always competition for these guys. You definitely don't want to just bring someone in for the sake of it.

While Man Utd are paying £20million plus for guys and we are going for Bosmans is irrelevant, because the market works the same at all levels.

marinello59
27-07-2011, 08:24 AM
Was the OP comparing us to Manchester United? I thought he was making a valid point about how the transfer market works and although we might be looking at a slightly (:greengrin) lower standard of player we face the same pressures as mentioned by the OP but in our particular market place. It's not just us struggling to attract players to the SPL at the moment, the Old Firm are struggling as well.

I would like to think that we will still make decent signings despite the problems of the market though.

The Falcon
27-07-2011, 08:27 AM
Oh come off it. You cannot be serious. To compare one of the most polished squads in world football's transfer policy with the shambles we are watching at the moment is down right ludicrous.

Everything is relative. ManU got their ass kicked on worldwide TV by Barca and their fans want better and want to know what the club is doing to make it so.

bingo70
27-07-2011, 08:37 AM
Of course he's right.

Regardless of level, you want to be bringing in the best players you can, there is always competition for these guys. You definitely don't want to just bring someone in for the sake of it.

While Man Utd are paying £20million plus for guys and we are going for Bosmans is irrelevant, because the market works the same at all levels.

Considering our latest signing was paying his own way here i'm guessing we didn't have any compition to sign him, our manager knew he was and he was a free agent at the start of the window so why have we waited till now to bring him in?

Is this CC bringing someone in for the sake of it or were we badly prepared and should we have had him in on trial or to be signed on the first day of pre-season so he was ready for the start of our season?

jdships
27-07-2011, 08:38 AM
I think the only fact that anyone knows is that CC wanted him, we don't know if it was a 6 month loan, year loan or permanent transfer but CC wanted him and we didn't get him, now for what reason we don't know for a fact but we definately wanted him and he definately didn't join us (trying to do winkie smilie but not working)

Agree !
That is correct from statements attributed to CC
:wink:

Moulin Yarns
27-07-2011, 08:51 AM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/recession/4229648/Aldi-and-Lidl-woo-middle-class-shoppers-as-Waitrose-loses-out.html

:na na:

FitbaFolkKen
27-07-2011, 08:52 AM
The problem I find with threads like this are many of us apparently know how to be a football manager and the best transfer policy for the club. Yet next to none of us have any experience in it apart from a bit of champ man/ football manager.

I'm sure the club would have wanted all their first choice targets in for the start of pre season but something has happened to prevent that, the details of which are limited if we are honest despite the meltdown regarding the way we handled the attempted transfers.

Is it possible that calderwood doesnt consider a rb a necessity, has he decided that is where palsson will play this year?

I'm going to wait until the window is closed before I make a judgement, as to be honest there is that little information we don't know what is in the pipeline.... however if nothing is it could be a long season!

bingo70
27-07-2011, 09:02 AM
The problem I find with threads like this are many of us apparently know how to be a football manager and the best transfer policy for the club. Yet next to none of us have any experience in it apart from a bit of champ man/ football manager.

I'm sure the club would have wanted all their first choice targets in for the start of pre season but something has happened to prevent that, the details of which are limited if we are honest despite the meltdown regarding the way we handled the attempted transfers.

Is it possible that calderwood doesnt consider a rb a necessity, has he decided that is where palsson will play this year?

I'm going to wait until the window is closed before I make a judgement, as to be honest there is that little information we don't know what is in the pipeline.... however if nothing is it could be a long season!

Fair points, especially about the champ manager experts on here, suppose none of us really know anything going on behind the scenes, i do think it's perfectly normal to speculate and give opinions on where we are right now though, especially considering the season has started.

My problem with waiting until the end of the window is i did that in the january window and ended up signinig a group of players in the last week that could have been signed in the first week of the window, none of our signings were getting a game or even close to it, apart from Scott who we paid money for so all of them should have been available at the start of the window but we waited till the end, like we always do and it ended up potentially costing us a cup run.

Considering the number of players that left i had hoped/expected early transfer activity but with the signing of a free agent a week into the season that was available at the start of the window i think it's just going to be the same old story again with bargain basement signings as we get close to the window slamming shut.

FitbaFolkKen
27-07-2011, 09:17 AM
If I was a player out of contract I would try and hold out for the best offer available, as opposed to signing myself away early in the window. I think this is why it takes time to sign freebies, on the flip side there will be others who are desperate for contracts however i think they would be the minority.

A good example of this is Paul Holsgrove who we bought for 100k I think 4 weeks after he had signed for someone else on a bosman, the money isn't in the game for people to waste like that anymore and had that happened now we wouldn't have paid the fee and he would be stuck in the blue square or wherever.

My personal feelings are that it is a lot more complicated than the fans give credit for, although I accept clubs with similar means have signed players that might have done a job for us.

Fair points, especially about the champ manager experts on here, suppose none of us really know anything going on behind the scenes, i do think it's perfectly normal to speculate and give opinions on where we are right now though, especially considering the season has started.

My problem with waiting until the end of the window is i did that in the january window and ended up signinig a group of players in the last week that could have been signed in the first week of the window, none of our signings were getting a game or even close to it, apart from Scott who we paid money for so all of them should have been available at the start of the window but we waited till the end, like we always do and it ended up potentially costing us a cup run.

Considering the number of players that left i had hoped/expected early transfer activity but with the signing of a free agent a week into the season that was available at the start of the window i think it's just going to be the same old story again with bargain basement signings as we get close to the window slamming shut.

bingo70
27-07-2011, 09:24 AM
If I was a player out of contract I would try and hold out for the best offer available, as opposed to signing myself away early in the window. I think this is why it takes time to sign freebies, on the flip side there will be others who are desperate for contracts however i think they would be the minority.

A good example of this is Paul Holsgrove who we bought for 100k I think 4 weeks after he had signed for someone else on a bosman, the money isn't in the game for people to waste like that anymore and had that happened now we wouldn't have paid the fee and he would be stuck in the blue square or wherever.

My personal feelings are that it is a lot more complicated than the fans give credit for, although I accept clubs with similar means have signed players that might have done a job for us.

I think the market is changing in that there are now so many players out of contract i think the priority for the majority of players would be to get fixed up sooner with something rather than risk not getting a club later in the window and also risk missing the start of the season and not having a full pre-season behind them, Calderwood said pretty much the same thing towards the end of the season which is why i'm dissapointed with our poor preperations for this season.

Beefster
27-07-2011, 09:24 AM
He is right, though.

He's right in the context of fine-tuning a world class squad, yes. He's not right in the context of a mass of players leaving a poor squad with months/years warning and having to replace those players in order to field a competitive team.

Man Utd will be competitive in their competitions without another single player. It's unlikely that Hibs will be.

Whilst I'm still fairly relaxed about the transfer window (that may well be down to apathy), the planning for this summer (in terms of squad reshaping) is either non-existent or has gone catastrophically wrong at some point.

StevieC
27-07-2011, 09:35 AM

Why is this still getting trotted out? Hibs made an offer to sign player for a reasonable length of time. The offer was either rejected or withdrawn and CC turned instead to Agogo who he thinks is a better player and secured on a longer contract than CS was available for. SJ have come in at the back of that and picked up CS on a short loan deal.
Agogo for a year or CS for 6 months? I guess time will tell but at the moment I'm happy enough with the outcome.

bighairyfaeleith
27-07-2011, 09:49 AM
He's right in the context of fine-tuning a world class squad, yes. He's not right in the context of a mass of players leaving a poor squad with months/years warning and having to replace those players in order to field a competitive team.

Man Utd will be competitive in their competitions without another single player. It's unlikely that Hibs will be.

Whilst I'm still fairly relaxed about the transfer window (that may well be down to apathy), the planning for this summer (in terms of squad reshaping) is either non-existent or has gone catastrophically wrong at some point.

No he's right. Man Utd need to add quality players at there level to make there team better. We have gotten rid of 16 players we didn't want to keep so we can increase the quality of our squad, if we just went out and quickly replaced them with the wrong players then we would be back at square one.

We need to build the squad with quality players, yogi ran out last summer and made lots of quick purchases and that didn't exactly work well did it. CC has shown a good eye for a player so I reckon we just let him get on with his job and see where we are at the end of the window.

What would be better, last seasons team for a whole season or a good squad for 3/4 of the season?

Beefster
27-07-2011, 10:04 AM
No he's right. Man Utd need to add quality players at there level to make there team better. We have gotten rid of 16 players we didn't want to keep so we can increase the quality of our squad, if we just went out and quickly replaced them with the wrong players then we would be back at square one.

We need to build the squad with quality players, yogi ran out last summer and made lots of quick purchases and that didn't exactly work well did it. CC has shown a good eye for a player so I reckon we just let him get on with his job and see where we are at the end of the window.

What would be better, last seasons team for a whole season or a good squad for 3/4 of the season?

Yogi made two marquee singings last summer IIRC, neither if whom was a quick purchase. Trakys and Duffy were, more or less, because of the late sale of Stokes.

The bit in bold - my point is about the planning. We've signed O'Connor, Sproule, O'Hanlon and Agogo. It would appear that only O'Hanlon was really 'planned' with Sproule and O'Connor approaching us and Agogo having been on trial. None of which is saying anything about the players themselves.

JimBHibees
27-07-2011, 10:08 AM
Yogi made two marquee singings last summer IIRC, neither if whom was a quick purchase. Trakys and Duffy were, more or less, because of the late sale of Stokes.

The bit in bold - my point is about the planning. We've signed O'Connor, Sproule, O'Hanlon and Agogo. It would appear that only O'Hanlon was really 'planned' with Sproule and O'Connor approaching us and Agogo having been on trial. None of which is saying anything about the players themselves.

Maybe there are signings lined up but their clubs (e.g EPL) wont let them go until they have cover or pick up injuries during pre-season.

matty_f
27-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Why is this still getting trotted out? Hibs made an offer to sign player for a reasonable length of time. The offer was either rejected or withdrawn and CC turned instead to Agogo who he thinks is a better player and secured on a longer contract than CS was available for. SJ have come in at the back of that and picked up CS on a short loan deal.
Agogo for a year or CS for 6 months? I guess time will tell but at the moment I'm happy enough with the outcome.

The offer was withdrawn, Hibs have stated this several times. :agree:

Beefster
27-07-2011, 10:12 AM
Maybe there are signings lined up but their clubs (e.g EPL) wont let them go until they have cover or pick up injuries during pre-season.

There may well be but it would be strange to be signing players after a trial (or trying to) in that case. However, if we sign players who are covering for Premiership or Championship first choices, I'll be delighted.

bighairyfaeleith
27-07-2011, 10:13 AM

Giraffe was signed in mid june, thats pretty early, Hart was early July.

Neither have been any use, however given the end to our season that year yogi knew he had to make some buys to get the fans up for it again, a line that has been trotted out this year as well, but I would rather wait and get the right player than just sign anyone.

The planning is hard to comment on, we don't know how many offers we have made, how many have been rejected etc. We don't know how many players we have lost out on that CC had lined up, we also don't know how many players we are currently pursuing.

The bottom line is we know very little, however the one thing we do know is that we only want players in if they are good enough and that was the OP's point.

bingo70
27-07-2011, 10:26 AM
The offer was withdrawn, Hibs have stated this several times. :agree:

I don't think they said why though did they?

I may have missed it as it turned into a pretty boring episode but from what i remember hibs came out said we wanted to sign him, the next morning we said we weren't wanting him and he then signed for St Johnstone. They've left us to speculate as to what caused the change of mind which is what has happened and IMO it appears we couldnt agree terms with either the player or the club which would be dissapointing considering St Johsntone did manage to agree these terms.

JimBHibees
27-07-2011, 10:29 AM
There may well be but it would be strange to be signing players after a trial (or trying to) in that case. However, if we sign players who are covering for Premiership or Championship first choices, I'll be delighted.

Wouldnt disagree about the loan players though maybe in some cases they are a fallback if other deals dont work out for some reason. You would hope CC would have sufficient contacts to at least pull out a couple of decent EPL/Championship youngsters even if only on loan.

StevieC
27-07-2011, 12:16 PM
IMO it appears we couldnt agree terms with either the player or the club which would be dissapointing considering St Johsntone did manage to agree these terms.

Different terms though.
The terms Hibs were offering did not suit CSKA (or player?).
The terms St Johnstone agreed to suited CSKA (and player?).

Doesn't seem to have been a direct choice (or bidding war) between Hibs and St Johnstone.

sunshine1875
27-07-2011, 12:50 PM
I think this highlights the daft situation of a SPL football season that starts six weeks before the closing of the transfer window and four weeks before the English teams return to competitive action.

Imagine if you were an unemployed footballer with a good chance of being given a contract somewhere. In late June, you may be looking for (say) £15k per week and you will be happy waiting to see if anyone offers you this, which will mainly be the English clubs. By early August, if you have not had any firm offers, you will probably drop your demands to (say) £8k per week. Then as the end of August approaches, with the risk that you could be out of a job, you will probably reduce your wage demands down to (say) £4k per week.

The games is Risk. How long is the player willing to accept not having a secure job before he commits to a lower salary versus how long is a club willing to wait until a better player comes into their wage cap? Yes, Hibs might pick up some good players over the next couple of weeks, but then they might not and we could pass the end of the transfer window period with no improvement in the quality of our playing staff.

Rod is usually good at playing this game, the difference this season is that we could go 4 or 5 games before we get better players. On reflection, it was a good idea to postpone one competitive games to a time when hopefully we will have better players in.

matty_f
27-07-2011, 01:25 PM
I don't think they said why though did they?

I may have missed it as it turned into a pretty boring episode but from what i remember hibs came out said we wanted to sign him, the next morning we said we weren't wanting him and he then signed for St Johnstone. They've left us to speculate as to what caused the change of mind which is what has happened and IMO it appears we couldnt agree terms with either the player or the club which would be dissapointing considering St Johsntone did manage to agree these terms.

They did, CC said that Hibs made the offer and then heard nothing back and on the Tuesday (IIRC) decided that we would move on to another target. This was also said by a director to thebausburst on another thread on here, and I think by Fife in reply to another email.

CapitalHibs
27-07-2011, 01:28 PM

6 month deal as much use as a fart in a windstorm (imo)

basehibby
27-07-2011, 02:12 PM

Meantime Hibs .........?

Need serious changes
Cannot beat Falkirk

You make some good points in your post but spoil it with a load of sensationalist garbage such as the Daily ******-esque nonsense highlighted above.

I would have loved to have seen Hibs take more action early in the window for a change (in addition to the arrivals of O'Connor, Sproule and O'Hanlon) as I think that this close season Hibs had two big reasons to do business earlier than usual:
The fact that a whole match day squad of players were released including key players and high earners.
The fact that following a disastrous season of depressing underperformance the fans needed encouragement to buy season tickets and hence boost the club coffers.

That said, the OP does make some good points - the comparison is not ridiculous at all as the circumstances outlined apply to all clubs. On balance I would rather wait for a quality signing rather than just sign anyone now. Trouble is that the overridding impression at hibs is that we tend to wait it out purely in order to save more cash rather than out of some commitment to quality over quantity.

basehibby
27-07-2011, 02:23 PM

Good points here which demonstrate perfectly the pitfalls of waiting to the end of the window to do business.

In January, the waiting quite possibly cost us a cup run which would likely have more than offset any premium resulting from acting early.

In a nutshell doing business early in the window pays dividends on the pitch while waiting til the last moment pays dividends to the bank balance. No prizes for guessing which approach is favoured by our board - which is maybe fine for business as usual but not so fine when things are going pearshaped on the field of play.

down-the-slope
27-07-2011, 02:30 PM
I think this highlights the daft situation of a SPL football season that starts six weeks before the closing of the transfer window and four weeks before the English teams return to competitive action.

Imagine if you were an unemployed footballer with a good chance of being given a contract somewhere. In late June, you may be looking for (say) £15k per week and you will be happy waiting to see if anyone offers you this, which will mainly be the English clubs. By early August, if you have not had any firm offers, you will probably drop your demands to (say) £8k per week. Then as the end of August approaches, with the risk that you could be out of a job, you will probably reduce your wage demands down to (say) £4k per week.

The games is Risk. How long is the player willing to accept not having a secure job before he commits to a lower salary versus how long is a club willing to wait until a better player comes into their wage cap? Yes, Hibs might pick up some good players over the next couple of weeks, but then they might not and we could pass the end of the transfer window period with no improvement in the quality of our playing staff.

Rod is usually good at playing this game, the difference this season is that we could go 4 or 5 games before we get better players. On reflection, it was a good idea to postpone one competitive games to a time when hopefully we will have better players in.

:agree:...

further back up to the way the transfer windows now work is in these direct quotes from the manager yesterday...

"I am looking for another one, and the thing that is blatantly obvious to us is the level of player now getting put to us.

"It's the effect of everyone starting pre-season training and players finding they then might not be involved as much as they want to be and clubs wanting to give people experience.

"There's going to be real good additions to be had and that's why we've held back some amount of money. We might have to go and stretch that a little bit but I think we could cherry-pick one or two, hopefully."

I'll wait for the better quality if thats ok with everyone else :wink:

Dalianwanda
27-07-2011, 02:37 PM

:agree:

sahib
27-07-2011, 02:57 PM

All well and good but have we got anyone who could spot a decent player?

down-the-slope
27-07-2011, 05:43 PM
All well and good but have we got anyone who could spot a decent player?

:agree: for first time in years

The Falcon
27-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Agree !
That is correct from statements attributed to CC
:wink:

That would be before the statement that Sofia never got back to Hibs and CC decided to walk away from the deal. Also attributed to him. So now we know two facts about the deal.

jdships
27-07-2011, 10:11 PM
That would be before the statement that Sofia never got back to Hibs and CC decided to walk away from the deal. Also attributed to him. So now we know two facts about the deal.

sarcasm is the lowest form of wit :wink::greengrin

:confused::rolleyes::flag:

Future17
27-07-2011, 10:32 PM
Its still shopping..you can only shop when the shop is open..you can only buy whats being offered in your chosen shop (price bracket)...and those who are aware know reduced price stuff is most likely near closing (even in Waitrose)

There's probably some validity in your OP but this analogy is open to challenge.

If you're starving and there are potential long-term health effects unless you eat soon, you would pay what you're required to pay to get the food you need to avoid such a situation worsening. If you simply don't have the money, you buy a cheaper variety.

I know there is an argument for waiting until late in the window in order to strike the best deal, but this also runs the risk of another club beating us to the target in question. The situation we're currently in required positive action in the transfer market BEFORE the season started.

Can anyone actually provide a proven factual example of a time when waiting until late in the window has saved us a significant amount of money?

down-the-slope
28-07-2011, 03:20 PM
There's probably some validity in your OP but this analogy is open to challenge.

If you're starving and there are potential long-term health effects unless you eat soon, you would pay what you're required to pay to get the food you need to avoid such a situation worsening. If you simply don't have the money, you buy a cheaper variety.

I know there is an argument for waiting until late in the window in order to strike the best deal, but this also runs the risk of another club beating us to the target in question. The situation we're currently in required positive action in the transfer market BEFORE the season started.

Can anyone actually provide a proven factual example of a time when waiting until late in the window has saved us a significant amount of money?

:agree: thats true and backs up my main point....I would rather not spend what little we have on cheap variety, but wait and see if there is 'finest range' reduced closer to closing time :greengrin