PDA

View Full Version : Cannot beat 150k

Lucius Apuleius
27-07-2011, 05:59 AM
So it isn't just us then. :wink:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/26072011/58/premier-league-everton-outbid-150-000-player.html

The Harp
27-07-2011, 06:46 AM
Makes me wonder just what Davie Moyes could achieve at Everton if his player budget was increased significantly.
He's been there a long time and done a great job, but I feel he could walk soon because of the continual lack of funds at his disposal. Hope I'm wrong.

CallumLaidlaw
27-07-2011, 07:49 AM
I think moyes feels a certain degree of loyalty to everton. I would be more worried at losing the likes of baines, jagielka, Coleman, rodwell, and fellaini. Players are ambitious and everton are going nowhere fast unless they get some cash to spend.
My mate, big toffees fan, reckons the above story has been twisted tho. Everton thought they were getting the guy for nothing, which is fine as he would be 3rd choice, but when a fee was being demanded they told them to stick it.

matty_f
27-07-2011, 07:52 AM
Earlier this month Everton's chief executive Robert Elstone urged the club's fans to be patient and insisted there is no lack of ambition at Goodison Park."The squeeze on money is harder than ever (this summer). Despite that, there isn't a day that goes by without the manager and chairman discussing players coming and, yes, players going," he said.
"At the same time, there isn't a day that goes by without discussions of how we can sell more season tickets, do new sponsorship deals or get better terms, or loan more money from our bank.
"Everybody is 'flat to the floor' looking for improvements, looking for money, looking for players.
"There's a lot of hard work behind the scenes, not being played out in public. The focus of all that hard work is the first-team squad.
"And, whilst we are not blessed with a transfer 'war chest', and we're acutely aware, as custodians, that the long-term security of the club is paramount, there is no lack of ambition nor endeavour anywhere in the club."

From the link - could have easily been Hibs their talking about here.

Stevie Reid
27-07-2011, 08:02 AM
From the link - could have easily been Hibs their talking about here.

(Trying to use the 'agree' smilie, but not working!)

But at the same time, Everton is a club that only 3 years ago spent £15M on Fellaini

J-C
27-07-2011, 08:46 AM
Jagielka will be away to Arsenal soon, once a fee is agreed, the Moyes will have cash to spend, knowing him he'll have a couple of bargains looked at already.

CallumLaidlaw
27-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Jagielka will be away to Arsenal soon, once a fee is agreed, the Moyes will have cash to spend, knowing him he'll have a couple of bargains looked at already.

They'll need to pay the £18m tho.

He'll bring in about 3 players with that. They were wanting N'Zogbia, but he might have moved on before then.
With Wigan and Blackburn looking at Goodwillie, he would have been worth a look by Moyes.

GraniteCityHibs
27-07-2011, 08:51 AM
So it isn't just us then. :wink:http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/26072011/58/premier-league-everton-outbid-150-000-player.html I don't think Everton were unable to bid 150k. More likely they didn't fancy paying any money for a 3rd choice keeper and decided to use it elsewhere. What it does highlight is the massive gulf between the likes of Everton compared with a Man City who would happily pay 150k a week for a 3rd choice keeper.

J-C
27-07-2011, 09:01 AM
They'll need to pay the £18m tho.

He'll bring in about 3 players with that. They were wanting N'Zogbia, but he might have moved on before then.
With Wigan and Blackburn looking at Goodwillie, he would have been worth a look by Moyes.

Moyes has always been clever in the transfer market but he'll soon get fed up scrimping and saving forever, my mates a big Everton fan and he's desperate to get Kenwright out as like Petrie he's strangling the club by having nowt to spend all the time.

CallumLaidlaw
27-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Moyes has always been clever in the transfer market but he'll soon get fed up scrimping and saving forever, my mates a big Everton fan and he's desperate to get Kenwright out as like Petrie he's strangling the club by having nowt to spend all the time.

Absolutely agree. He reckons he's always looking for a buyer, but yet all these other prem clubs seem to find them. Mind you, they should maybe be grateful for small mercies when you see whats happening to Birmingham. Frustrating to see Villa, Sunderland, City, Liverpool spending huge wads of cash tho.

FRes Hibbie
27-07-2011, 11:10 AM
I think the two clubs' (Everton and Hibs) situations are very different: Everton have been overtaken by teams that are spending much more money than them, Tottenham & Man City for example, on the other hand we seem to have been overtaken (going by last season anyway) by teams with smaller budgets than us.