PDA

View Full Version : The Clubs View

thebausburst
26-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Along with the majority of supporters I have been very frustrated and dissapointed as events/results at ER for some time. I decided to put my thoughts on an email and send it off to the club. They responded quickly and I ended up speaking personally with one of the directors. I thought others would appreciate hearing the (latest) clubs views on some of the major issues we all have -

Issue 1 - Lack of first team investment: On this topic I was assured that every penny coming in was indeed being (or will be) reinvested in the first team. We will apparently have Agogo signed by the end of the week and can expect another 1 or 2 'main' signings, augmented with some loan deals (though this will be dependant upon some players going out on loan first). There is recognition that we cannot compete financially with Hearts and they 'should be finishing at least 3rd with their level of wages', but apparently we should be a match for Dundee Utd and others - at which point I advised I didn't share this view (at present).

Issue 2 - Cillian Sheridan - Clubs position I am assured is that NO response was ever received from Sofia to Hibs offer and that after a while of status quo in this regard CC instructed the board to forget it and pursue Agogo. We can apparently also expect at least another 1 striker to come in.

Issue 3 - CC as a PR nightmare - This was acknowledged as was CC's inability to fill us with enthusiasm for the new season. In defence the club say they cannot control what he says? and the they 'have had similar issues with previous managers'! There is a recognition of the need to improve PR and we can expect more along the lines of the previous 'stand up and be counted' campaign.

Issue 4 - CC Hokey Cokey (going or staying) - The club were Very clear he is the man, he is staying etc. when pressed on why is it all dragging on and why is CC not making a clear and unambiguous statement - he (CC) says he 'has done' even though the rest of us may have a different view on that! When quizzed on CCs poor record (I reminded them of his 25% win rate - worst of last 6 managers) I was met with we can't keep getting rid of managers, need stability, he is the man etc. Though there was a clear recognition that another season like the last is NOT acceptable!

That's the main headlines summary of a long conversation. Not sure if it adds anything we don't already know but thought folks would appreciate it if I shared.

Eaststand
26-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Thanks for sharing your feedback from the club TBB

I'm as hacked off as anyone about us not having any shots on target against the soapdodgers on Sunday, but there were signs that there is now some sense of urgency about our play.,
If we do get even a couple of signings in, one of who is going to be Agogo by the look of things, I'll be happy enough with that

Cheers
GGTTH

The Falcon
26-07-2011, 06:10 PM
Along with the majority of supporters I have been very frustrated and dissapointed as events/results at ER for some time. I decided to put my thoughts on an email and send it off to the club. They responded quickly and I ended up speaking personally with one of the directors. I thought others would appreciate hearing the (latest) clubs views on some of the major issues we all have -

Issue 1 - Lack of first team investment: On this topic I was assured that every penny coming in was indeed being (or will be) reinvested in the first team. We will apparently have Agogo signed by the end of the week and can expect another 1 or 2 'main' signings, augmented with some loan deals (though this will be dependant upon some players going out on loan first). There is recognition that we cannot compete financially with Hearts and they 'should be finishing at least 3rd with their level of wages', but apparently we should be a match for Dundee Utd and others - at which point I advised I didn't share this view (at present).

Issue 2 - Cillian Sheridan - Clubs position I am assured is that NO response was ever received from Sofia to Hibs offer and that after a while of status quo in this regard CC instructed the board to forget it and pursue Agogo. We can apparently also expect at least another 1 striker to come in.

Issue 3 - CC as a PR nightmare - This was acknowledged as was CC's inability to fill us with enthusiasm for the new season. In defence the club say they cannot control what he says? and the they 'have had similar issues with previous managers'! There is a recognition of the need to improve PR and we can expect more along the lines of the previous 'stand up and be counted' campaign.

Issue 4 - CC Hokey Cokey (going or staying) - The club were Very clear he is the man, he is staying etc. when pressed on why is it all dragging on and why is CC not making a clear and unambiguous statement - he (CC) says he 'has done' even though the rest of us may have a different view on that! When quizzed on CCs poor record (I reminded them of his 25% win rate - worst of last 6 managers) I was met with we can't keep getting rid of managers, need stability, he is the man etc. Though there was a clear recognition that another season like the last is NOT acceptable!

That's the main headlines summary of a long conversation. Not sure if it adds anything we don't already know but thought folks would appreciate it if I shared.

Thanks for that.

R'Albin
26-07-2011, 06:15 PM

Sounds positive, was this via email btw?

thebausburst
26-07-2011, 06:17 PM
I emailed my concerns/views to the club and was then invited to call one of the directors to discuss.

R'Albin
26-07-2011, 06:19 PM
I emailed my concerns/views to the club and was then invited to call one of the directors to discuss.

Good of them to take the time out to speak to you:agree: Thanks for sharing..

The Falcon

Blobby once phoned me "to discuss" totally out of the blue after I'd had a mump. Total gent he was.

Removed
I emailed my concerns/views to the club and was then invited to call one of the directors to discuss. Are you going to tell us who?

sunshine1875
26-07-2011, 06:26 PM

Thanks for letting us know. Do you plan to maintain dialogue with the director, if things have not moved on over the next couple of weeks?

Gala Foxes
26-07-2011, 06:34 PM
I sent an email last season after the Ayr debacle - fair play to Hibs, I got an email back from a Director (Hyland) thanking me for taking the time to put my thoughts / concerns to them and addressing each point I made.

thebausburst
26-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Given the person in question specifically mentioned discussions 'ending up on supporters web sites' I don't think it would be appropriate to name him. I don't have any plans to maintain a dialogue, though he did recognise the need for the club to be accessible to supporters hence this is something the club is working on.

greenlex
26-07-2011, 06:38 PM
Thanks for sharing.
This is no more than expected to be honest.
Surprised you posted it as its likely to be ripped to shreds in any case.

Removed
26-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Given the person in question specifically mentioned discussions 'ending up on supporters web sites' I don't think it would be appropriate to name him. But you thought you'd just post it anyway. Did you ask his permission to post it on here?

thebausburst
26-07-2011, 06:47 PM
But you thought you'd just post it anyway. Did you ask his permission to post it on here?

No direct quotes, named no-one, been selective with info shared - what's the problem? Won't bother sharing next time.

Removed
26-07-2011, 06:51 PM
No direct quotes, named no-one, been selective with info shared - what's the problem? Won't bother sharing next time. So what is this then :confused: "We will apparently have Agogo signed by the end of the week and can expect another 1 or 2 'main' signings, augmented with some loan deals (though this will be dependant upon some players going out on loan first)" Fife must have said that for you to indirectly quote it?

Jay
26-07-2011, 06:52 PM
No direct quotes, named no-one, been selective with info shared - what's the problem? Won't bother sharing next time.

Please do and dont worry about the third degree, just ignore it - and thanks for the info.:agree:

Jonnyboy
26-07-2011, 06:54 PM
But you thought you'd just post it anyway. Did you ask his permission to post it on here?

So what is this then :confused: "We will apparently have Agogo signed by the end of the week and can expect another 1 or 2 'main' signings, augmented with some loan deals (though this will be dependant upon some players going out on loan first)" Fife must have said that for you to indirectly quote it?

Easy B the poster is simply sharing - no big deal

Removed
26-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Easy B the poster is simply sharing - no big deal So a director agreed with a supporter over the phone that CC is a pr nightmare. Don't buy that JC.

smurf
26-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Thanks for sharing.

I take heart from what they are saying in private. I just don't understand why they can't say it to us all publicly.

Most of that would not be to the detriment of the club if public.

The cc situation must be even more frustrating to them than even us.

Though of course publicly there is no 'situation'!

Jonnyboy
26-07-2011, 06:58 PM
So a director agreed with a supporter over the phone that CC is a pr nightmare. Don't buy that JC.

Wasn't aware it was over the phone but in any event I'd guess the poster is paraphrasing

greenlex
26-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Thanks for sharing.

I take heart from what they are saying in private. I just don't understand why they can't say it to us all publicly.

None of that would be to the detriment of the club if public.

The cc situation must be even more frustrating to them than even us.

Though of course publicly there is no 'situation'!

Folk would just turn it into a negative Smurf. They would want more detail and accuse the board of having no ambition as players should have been signed weeks ago before the start of the season as they have known for months the situation regarding players contract etc.blah blah blah.

thebausburst
26-07-2011, 07:02 PM
So a director agreed with a supporter over the phone that CC is a pr nightmare. Don't buy that JC.

I could give you the exact quote, but you'd obviously I did'nt so don't worry no more postings from me on this thread..bye

Hibbyradge
26-07-2011, 07:04 PM

I didn't take that from the post. Those were clearly (to me) the OP's words.

IWasThere2016
26-07-2011, 07:06 PM
Cheers for sharing - glad to see the Board (finally) recognise there must be action on the team. CC's has an eye for a players so if it is Agogo + 2 + loanees that is very good news.

PeterboroHibee
26-07-2011, 07:14 PM
Glad to hear, Agogo + 1/2 other signings, as well as loan players sounds a lot more promising, at least it lets us see they are working on bringing in quite a few more players.

Hibbyradge
26-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Cheers for sharing - glad to see the Board (finally) recognise there must be action on the team. CC's has an eye for a players so if it is Agogo + 2 + loanees that is very good news.

Finally?????????

How many players have Hibs bought in the last 3 years?

How many this year, in fact?

BEEJ
26-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Finally?????????

How many players have Hibs bought in the last 3 years?

How many this year, in fact?
10 players signed this year, as against 22 departures.

greenlex
26-07-2011, 07:21 PM
10 players signed this year so far, as against 22 departures.
Fixed that for you Beej.
Quality over quantity hopefully.

BEEJ
26-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Fixed that for you Beej.
Quality over quantity hopefully.
I believe I answered the specific question asked by Hibbyradge. :cool2:

HNA10
26-07-2011, 07:25 PM
10 players signed this year, as against 22 departures.
According to soccerbase?
Past 12 months (ie start of 2010/2011 season)
in: 8
Out (transfer):11
Out (loan):1
Out (released):11

Are we talking about seasons, calendar years, or year to date :greengrin

http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=1227&comp_id=12#teamTabs=transfers

When compared to other seasons it's no extra-ordinary.
Season 08/09 saw 18 players out and 3 in.

Aldo
26-07-2011, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the post.

Glad too hear Agogo plus 1 or 2 plus some loanees. We really need some players in and now.

Hopefully Juniors positive attitude (from wot the folk who met him on sat) will rub off on the rest and
we can get a result up north on Sat.

Cheers

R'Albin
26-07-2011, 07:27 PM
According to soccerbase?

http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=1227&comp_id=12#teamTabs=transfers

Palsson
Scott
Vaz Te
Divis
Towell
Sodje
Sproule
G'oC
O'Hanlon

Nine by my count?

HNA10
26-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Palsson
Scott
Vaz Te
Divis
Towell
Sodje
Sproule
G'oC
O'Hanlon

Nine by my count?
that site is gash :greengrin
They've also got Brown and Thornhill
Vaz Te was released on 30 Jun so does he count twice :greengrin

BEEJ
26-07-2011, 07:31 PM
According to soccerbase?

Calendar year 2011 (i.e. from 1st January 2011 until today) :greengrin

In
Summer 2011
Sean O'Hanlon
Garry O'Connor
Ivan Sproule

January 2011
Ricardo Vaz Te
Akpo Sodje
Jakub Divis
Victor Palsson
Ritchie Towell
Martin Scott
Matt Thornhill

Out
Summer 2011
Derek Riordan
Francis Dickoh
Ricardo Vaz Te
Jakub Divis
Liam Miller
Richie Towell
Kevin McCann
Steven Thicot
Kurtis Byrne
Darryl Duffy
Valdas Trakys
Thomas Flynn
Ewan Moyes
Colin Nish
John Rankin
Graeme Smith
Kevin McBride

January 2011
Chris Hogg
Merouane Zemmama
Jonathan Grounds
Souleymane Bamba
Lee Currie

Moral of the story - Soccerbase is unreliable. :wink:

greenlex
26-07-2011, 07:32 PM
I believe I answered the specific question asked by Hibbyradge. :cool2:
I believe the edited answer in no way diminishes it. :wink:

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-07-2011, 07:32 PM
Might be being a bit naive, but after readiing that i feel more re-assured about things at ER. Sounds like the director that you spoke to, not only had plenty to say, but actually had the freedom and authority to say it. I would rather have read something like that on the fishy site, rather than that irrelevant dig at Hughes.

Mibbes Aye
26-07-2011, 07:39 PM
Calendar year 2011 (i.e. from 1st January 2011 until today) :greengrin

In
Summer 2011
Sean O'Hanlon
Garry O'Connor
Ivan Sproule

January 2011
Ricardo Vaz Te
Akpo Sodje
Jakub Divis
Victor Palsson
Ritchie Towell
Martin Scott
Matt Thornhill

Out
Summer 2011
Derek Riordan
Francis Dickoh
Ricardo Vaz Te
Jakub Divis
Liam Miller
Richie Towell
Kevin McCann
Steven Thicot
Kurtis Byrne
Darryl Duffy
Valdas Trakys
Thomas Flynn
Ewan Moyes
Colin Nish
John Rankin
Graeme Smith
Kevin McBride

January 2011
Chris Hogg
Merouane Zemmama
Jonathan Grounds
Souleymane Bamba
Lee Currie

Moral of the story - Soccerbase is unreliable. :wink:

So you count players who came through the ranks as 'outs' but you don't count them as 'ins'?

We'll always be releasing more players than we sign then, as if Escher was in charge of transfers.

I can actually see a logic to that in a funny sort of way but essentially it removes a lot of meaning from your figures. All we need is to release a batch of youngsters who were close but weren't going to make it and it skews the picture completely.

I think if you're trying to be authoritative you need to explain that.

HNA10
26-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Moral of the story - Soccerbase isn't worth the bandwidth. :wink:
fixed that :greengrin

ArabHibee
26-07-2011, 07:50 PM
I thought we didn't want to have any more loan deals as that's what got us into trouble in the first place?

BEEJ
26-07-2011, 07:52 PM
So you count players who came through the ranks as 'outs' but you don't count them as 'ins'?

We'll always be releasing more players than we sign then, as if Escher was in charge of transfers.

I can actually see a logic to that in a funny sort of way but essentially it removes a lot of meaning from your figures. All we need is to release a batch of youngsters who were close but weren't going to make it and it skews the picture completely.

I think if you're trying to be authoritative you need to explain that.
OK then, for the sake of the pedants among us .... :greengrin

... please feel free to add in the names of Crawford and Antell to the In column for this year.

That gives us 12 players In (rather than signed) and 22 players departed.

Any more complaints? Perhaps we recruited someone to the match-day catering department this year that should be factored into the figures?

Mibbes Aye
26-07-2011, 07:58 PM
OK then, for the sake of the pedants among us .... :greengrin

... please feel free to add in the names of Crawford and Antell to the In column for this year.

That gives us 12 players In (rather than signed) and 22 players departed.

Any more complaints? Perhaps we recruited someone to the match-day catering department this year that should be factored into the figures?

:tsk tsk: :greengrin

It's not just Crawford and Antell is it though?

The squad list on the website lists Taggart, Horner, Handling and Forster and IIRC they weren't there last summer. Scott Smith possibly too.

While some of those players may not make it, you nevertheless can't not count them as 'ins' if you're going to count youth players who didn't make it as 'outs'.

That's not pedantic, it's just being accurate.

greenlex
26-07-2011, 08:00 PM

The squad list on the website lists Taggart, Horner, Handling and Forster and IIRC they weren't there last summer. Scott Smith possibly too.

While some of those players may not make it, you nevertheless can't not count them as 'ins' if you're going to count youth players who didn't make it as 'outs'.

There is a real imbalance. About 4500 outs IIRC.

greenlex
26-07-2011, 08:01 PM
I thought we didn't want to have any more loan deals as that's what got us into trouble in the first place?

What trouble did we get in? I think we want season long loan deals rather than 6 months if possible.

Borderhibbie76
26-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Glad someone got a detailed response, I emailed in with similar concerns and this is what I got back from Mr Hyland; I must say tho feeling much more positive about all things Hibs hearing about the OP's response...

Thanks for your points, which have been noted. Your feedback is welcomed. I appreciate the summer has been frustrating, but I do think there was positives from yesterday that the Manager and team will build on.

Thanks for emailing in, and for your support.

Regards
Fife

BEEJ
26-07-2011, 08:07 PM

Wrong, Mibbes. :tsk tsk:

Taggart was officially a first-team squad member last year, as was Horner.

Handling and Forster are still academy players and are not listed in the 24 man squad. They got numbers last season by virtue of making appearances from the bench towards the end of the campaign.

Scott Smith was promoted to the first team squad last summer but was (due to his age) able to spend most of the season captaining the U-19s.

Really must do better.

I did add a smilie at the 'pedantic' reference - perhaps you missed it?

Anyway, hopefully the revised figures of 12 in and 22 out are now sufficiently accurate and to your satisfaction. In future I'll be sure not to be so remiss. :wink:

ArabHibee
26-07-2011, 08:09 PM
What trouble did we get in? I think we want season long loan deals rather than 6 months if possible.

Club update - 5 July 2011:

We have now stripped away the unworkable legacy saddled upon the Club by the previous incumbent.

greenlex
26-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Club update - 5 July 2011:

We have now stripped away the unworkable legacy saddled upon the Club by the previous incumbent.

I dont think that means we wont be doing loan deals or have I missed something?

ArabHibee
26-07-2011, 08:15 PM

Who knows? I'm probably reading too much into what some folk have posted on here.

Beefster
26-07-2011, 08:26 PM

Thanks for sharing. Always good to hear from the club, no matter the route.

The bit in bold is unbelievable. Absolutely no new ideas at Hibs, just a constant re-hashing of the same old, same old.

Removed
26-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Thanks for sharing. Always good to hear from the club, no matter the route.The bit in bold is unbelievable. Absolutely no new ideas at Hibs, just a constant re-hashing of the same old, same old. The OP was probably paraphrasing :wink:

Jonnyboy
26-07-2011, 08:34 PM
The OP was probably paraphrasing :wink:

:greengrin

Mibbes Aye
26-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Wrong, Mibbes. :tsk tsk:

Taggart was officially a first-team squad member last year, as was Horner.

Handling and Forster are still academy players and are not listed in the 24 man squad. They got numbers last season by virtue of making appearances from the bench towards the end of the campaign.

Scott Smith was promoted to the first team squad last summer but was (due to his age) able to spend most of the season captaining the U-19s.

Really must do better.

I did add a smilie at the 'pedantic' reference - perhaps you missed it?

Anyway, hopefully the revised figures of 12 in and 22 out are now sufficiently accurate and to your satisfaction. In future I'll be sure not to be so remiss. :wink:

Now now, Beej, I just wanted to be clear.

When you're using your stats to say that we've lost far more players than we've brought in (dare I say it, as a criticism of the club?), you've not been counting players who've been featuring in the first-team squad, who have actually been on the pitch for Hibs? :greengrin

That was all :wink:

BEEJ
26-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Now now, Beej, I just wanted to be clear.

When you're using your stats to say that we've lost far more players than we've brought in (dare I say it, as a criticism of the club?), you've not been counting players who've been featuring in the first-team squad, who have actually been on the pitch for Hibs? :greengrin

That was all :wink:
I guess then if you hadn't interpreted my post as a criticism of the club you would not have sought to critique it quite so rigorously. :greengrin Fact is I was just quoting the numbers - which actually shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone given that we've cut the squad size by a third to 24 players.

I think much of the frustration on here reflects that perceived imbalance, when in fact the squad size that CC quoted some weeks ago made this position quite apparent.

Suitably adjusted for the younger players promoted from the U-19s, we are still at 12 in this year (hopefully soon to be confirmed as 13) compared to 22 out. This is the reality of the club's current financial predicament.

JimBHibees
26-07-2011, 09:02 PM

Quality EPL kids on one year deals is exactly what we need IMO. Kids hungry to get some game time at a level they think they will shine at. Airey of Toon for one.

Hibbyradge
26-07-2011, 09:02 PM
The OP was probably paraphrasing :wink:

Oooh, you are a one. :faf:

Touch -ee!

Pedantic_Hibee
26-07-2011, 09:04 PM
Off topic but I had to find the nearest thread to get this aff my chest................I am in love with the burd on Sky Sports News :greengrin

greenlex
26-07-2011, 09:10 PM
Off topic but I had to find the nearest thread to get this aff my chest................I am in love with the burd on Sky Sports News :greengrin Bassa. Now I am gonna have to get out my bed and go through to see who she is.:(

Pedantic_Hibee
26-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Bassa. Now I am gonna have to get out my bed and go through to see who she is.:(

Trust me, it's worth it. Get out of bed and walk to the telly, I guarantee you'll be pole-vaulting back into yer pit :agree:

Horny Sky subscribing folk ken whit's gaun oan.

Removed
26-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Oooh, you are a one. :faf:Touch -ee! :agree: menstruating folk ken whits gaun oan

Pedantic_Hibee
26-07-2011, 09:25 PM
:agree: menstruating folk ken whits gaun oan

You're right, we do. For a limited period only though...............

ArabHibee
26-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Bassa. Now I am gonna have to get out my bed and go through to see who she is.:(
I wouldn't bother if I was you.

Trust me, it's worth it. Get out of bed and walk to the telly, I guarantee you'll be pole-vaulting back into yer pit :agree:

You are easily pleased. Interesting that she had her hair strategically placed. :greengrin

Craig_in_Prague
26-07-2011, 09:39 PM

I think all of the females on SSN are pretty hot, good recruiter I'd say. :greengrin

Birds that are hot, like fitbaw, horses, gambling etc........... Kwality :thumbsup:

Jonnyboy
26-07-2011, 09:40 PM
I wouldn't bother if I was you.

You are easily pleased. Interesting that she had her hair strategically placed. :greengrin

Was it over her coupon? :greengrin

Mikey
27-07-2011, 11:36 AM
There is a recognition of the need to improve PR and we can expect more along the lines of the previous 'stand up and be counted' campaign.

That'll be difficult to get off the ground without some good results first to back it up. It doesn't matter what the club do in this respect, it'll quickly be rubbished by some.

3pm
27-07-2011, 05:03 PM
That'll be difficult to get off the ground without some good results first to back it up. It doesn't matter what the club do in this respect, it'll quickly be rubbished by some.

...And applauded by others? You forgot to mention that.

marinello59
27-07-2011, 05:16 PM
...And applauded by others? You forgot to mention that.

I think the use of the word some implied it was applauded by others. Doesn't it? Maybe? Perhaps? Maybe I am just nit picking. :wink:

3pm
27-07-2011, 05:36 PM
I think the use of the word some implied it was applauded by others. Doesn't it? Maybe? Perhaps? Maybe I am just nit picking. :wink:

Nitpicking? Possibly! :o)