MWHIBBIES
26-07-2011, 11:50 AM
:faf:

Cabbage East
26-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Professional as ever.

Hamish
26-07-2011, 11:56 AM
All big clubs have players whose passport runs out. Nothing to see here.

Smartie
26-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Maybe we could dust off the old "Rudolf Skacel's immigration papers aren't quite in order" ditty once again?

Woody1985
26-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Did he not go on their recent German 'tour'?

I thought it was recommended, or required in some places (perhaps not the EU), that you need to have 6 months on your passport before travelling?

1two
26-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Did he not go on their recent German 'tour'?

I thought it was recommended, or required in some places (perhaps not the EU), that you need to have 6 months on your passport before travelling?

Surely if he has a visa permitting him to work here he must have a passport to go with?

Albion Hibs
26-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Lovely skills obua! I would love to have seen fat Jim's face at the check in desk when the discovered that one!

Not to worry I thought they were re-signing Skacel?!

NYHibby
26-07-2011, 01:55 PM
There is more going on here than a passport problem. I’m going to try to keep this simple as I know most people here are not familiar with the UK visa system.

In order to get a player a “work permit” (which is actually a Tier 2 visa), a football club needs a sponsor licence like any other business. Basically what has happened is that it appears Hearts no longer have a licence. If so, they are not legally allowed to employ David Obua or any other player who requires a “work permit”. Your employer losing its licence effectively cancels your visa and you are required to leave the country regardless of how much time is left on your visa. It is entirely possible that he is now in the UK illegally and potentially could face deportation. The club faces fines too.

If he were to leave the country, he may not be able to get back in.

The register of all sponsor licence holders can be viewed here: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/employersandsponsors/pointsbasedsystem/pbsregisterofsponsors You can see that Hibs and all other fairly big clubs are listed, but Hearts are not. They were also not listed several months ago when I originally noticed this problem.

NYHibby
26-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Just to caveat my post, I am assuming he did not get married to a British or EU citizen,etc..., since signing for the club. The part about Hearts being unable to sign non-EU players is true though.

Woody1985
26-07-2011, 03:38 PM
There is more going on here than a passport problem. I’m going to try to keep this simple as I know most people here are not familiar with the UK visa system.

In order to get a player a “work permit” (which is actually a Tier 2 visa), a football club needs a sponsor licence like any other business. Basically what has happened is that it appears Hearts no longer have a licence. If so, they are not legally allowed to employ David Obua or any other player who requires a “work permit”. Your employer losing its licence effectively cancels your visa and you are required to leave the country regardless of how much time is left on your visa. It is entirely possible that he is now in the UK illegally and potentially could face deportation. The club faces fines too.

The register of all sponsor licence holders can be viewed here: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/employersandsponsors/pointsbasedsystem/pbsregisterofsponsors You can see that Hibs and all other fairly big clubs are listed, but Hearts are not. They were also not listed several months ago when I originally noticed this problem.

Do they have any other players that fit the criteria or is he the only one?

Do you know why he would have been allowed to travel to Germany, presuming he did? Or is that something someone may have missed and now picked up on?

Or guessing that it ran out just after the trip?

greenginger
26-07-2011, 04:16 PM
[QUOTE=Woody1985;2870079]Do they have any other players that fit the criteria or is he the only one?

what about the lad from Killie just signed Tahoul or something and their Aussie defender and the Icelander ? Are they all illegals ?

Woody1985
26-07-2011, 04:19 PM
[QUOTE=Woody1985;2870079]Do they have any other players that fit the criteria or is he the only one?

what about the lad from Killie just signed Tahoul or something and their Aussie defender and the Icelander ? Are they all illegals ?

I'm now guessing his passport has just ran out. :LOL:

NYHibby
26-07-2011, 06:40 PM

I can't believe I just researched the background of Hearts players.

No, all three can work in the UK without visas. Taouil was born in France and presumably is a French citizen. Iceland is EEA and their citizens have the same right to work in the UK as EU citzens. McGowan is a British citizen. His parents are Scottish.

As far as I know, Odua is the Hearts' only non-EU player.

This isn't a wind up. You can check the link I posted above. They don't have a licence to sponsor visas.

Tier 2 visas for athletes are valid for 3 years (at least they are now, not sure about 2008). Since he signed in 2008, this is probably why this is coming up now.

heretoday
26-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Paksi play in green and white.

lyonhibs
26-07-2011, 07:39 PM
[QUOTE=greenginger;2870096]

I'm now guessing his passport has just ran out. :LOL:

What sort of mental delinquent lets their passport run out when he knows - and has known since May/June - that he'd be playing in Europe this season??

Obua must be an absolute idiot

steakbake
26-07-2011, 08:24 PM

Noticed that before. I use this list in my work. Hearts are not on it. However, he could be here for all sorts of reasons. Also, not all football clubs are on it. Holding companies for example, might have the licence and not the football team itself - I have come across that before.

Could very well be Obua is here under other auspices though he was initially here on a work permit/T2. Is he married? Does he have a UK/EEA partner etc? All sorts of things would mean that perhaps HMFC don't need the expense and hassle of a licence.

HMFC might have consciously taken that decision not to get a Tier 2 or 5 licence, using instead EU/EEA players or people they can bring in outside of immigration control in T2/5. Taouil is a French citizen, for example.

greenlex
27-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Sky Sports reporting he is joining up with the rest of the ******.
(obviously thats not exactly what they are reporting word for word and its just my little slant on it)

KWJ
27-07-2011, 04:39 PM
BBC says that it wasn't because his passport was about to expire it's because his passport had run out of pages so he had to apply for extra.

Sean1875
27-07-2011, 04:46 PM
BBC says that it wasn't because his passport was about to expire it's because his passport had run out of pages so he had to apply for extra.
Surely he'd have noticed that after the trip to Germany? What a tit :faf: