PDA

View Full Version : PR Machine

southern hibby
26-07-2011, 09:51 AM
I really am starting to find the negativity catching, so rather than join the band wagon I thought how would I change things at Easter Road? I have come up with several ideas but believe the biggest thing that needs to change before Hibs go into melt down is.. We need to Sort the Public Relations out and fast. Hibs are a sleeping giant and lets be totally honest we all want the best for our proud and historic club, however surely the club should know that it's greatest assets are the fans that pay their hard earned cash to go and watch them. That buy the strips and pay for Hibs TV scarfs and numerous other Hibs Items. If Hibs sorted out the PR Machine and we got Honest statements coming out of Easter Road whether this was good or bad ie Signings not getting signings and why we never got them, maybe just maybe it would be a start in the right direction.I believe Hibs do owe us the truth about what is happening.GGTTH.

abgreen
26-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Hibs are nowhere near meltdown. Take it you weren't around when duff, gray and rowland nearly sold us down the river? When we had our "great adventure" in the first division? Them days were grim.

southern hibby
26-07-2011, 10:40 AM
Yes I was and you are correct that was meltdown however what I mean with meltdown now is fans bickering on here over the board, players money etc etc. GGTTH

smurf
26-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Hibs have no PR. Haven't for years.

The answer? Honest upbeat communication.

abgreen
26-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Think the thing with Hibs is that they've always kept things quiet and gone about things very professionally when dealing with player transfers, and this is seen as bad PR by fans. The situation withh CC is getting a bit silly now, but I think it looks like he'll be off soon. His interview before the game was very non committal. What I think Hibs need to do is get a pr consultant in to train our managers and make them a bit more media savvy.

blackpoolhibs
26-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Get a winning team on the park and nobody will give a toss what's said.

southern hibby
26-07-2011, 11:07 AM
I do agree about HIBS being quiet and going about signing players etc this way. However at certain times and certain situations call for different tactics. As I have said our fans are bickering over everything at this moment in time. If Hibs did have a good PR Manager in and got the information out and to the fans then a lot of this negativity could be stopped and instantly. Can I ask you one question and answer it honestly would you rather have the truth from the horses muth or speculation and tit bits thrown at us from every quater .GGTTH

greenlex
26-07-2011, 11:12 AM
Do we get dishonest information coming out the club?

southern hibby
26-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Get a winning team on the park and nobody will give a toss what's said. This will come but if we had our PR inplace at least we could see why players go to St Johnstone before us. I have read more about O'Hanlon's broken toe from Hibs, than other more important issues facing us. We are only fed little bits now and then and I think something needs to be done on this front. As for the playing side of things this does need addressed too.GGTTH

Captain Trips
26-07-2011, 11:14 AM
I would agree not as bad however 10-12 years on just finished 10th. 100% off the park improvement however a lot closer to the jim duffy type run than a pushing for 4th place. Agreed not as bad as those days but very far off where imo we should be.

southern hibby
26-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Do we get dishonest information coming out the club? Not as far as I know but we only get told what they want us to hear, which may not be 100% of everything involved . GGTTH

Sammy7nil
26-07-2011, 11:21 AM

Who knows?

We certainly get conflicting and confusing messages.
1. Sheridan, Hibs want to sign him he wants to sign - Outcome he plays for St J
2. What about the Managers longterm future, he is happy here and the club want him to stay - Will he be here in September? - Don't answer the question and repeat the first answer.

Just a couple of recent comments that confuse fans.

matty_f
26-07-2011, 11:26 AM
I really am starting to find the negativity catching, so rather than join the band wagon I thought how would I change things at Easter Road? I have come up with several ideas but believe the biggest thing that needs to change before Hibs go into melt down is.. We need to Sort the Public Relations out and fast. Hibs are a sleeping giant and lets be totally honest we all want the best for our proud and historic club, however surely the club should know that it's greatest assets are the fans that pay their hard earned cash to go and watch them. That buy the strips and pay for Hibs TV scarfs and numerous other Hibs Items. If Hibs sorted out the PR Machine and we got Honest statements coming out of Easter Road whether this was good or bad ie Signings not getting signings and why we never got them, maybe just maybe it would be a start in the right direction.I believe Hibs do owe us the truth about what is happening.GGTTH.

Totally agree. The club have to take a serious look at how they're engaging the support at the moment. There's a huge disconnect between some sections of the support (and going by the chat at Easter Road on Saturday, things are nowhere near as bad as is made out on here, btw), and the club have to consider how they go about getting these people onside and active in a positive way.

Hibs have no PR. Haven't for years.

The answer? Honest upbeat communication.

Hibs put out honest and upbeat communication that is regularly ripped to pieces on forums such as this and the Bounce.

Totally correct. That's the quickest way to get everyone onside.

greenlex
26-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Who knows? We certainly get conflicting and confusing messages. 1. Sheridan, Hibs want to sign him he wants to sign - Outcome he plays for St J2. What about the Managers longterm future, he is happy here and the club want him to stay - Will he be here in September? - Don't answer the question and repeat the first answer. Just a couple of recent comments that confuse fans. You are only confused if you want ti be. It wasnt up to Sherisan or hibs where he went it was CSKA's shout. No lies or misinfoemation.The second point is as plain as you like. Until someone oays the required compensation Calderwood is Hibs manager and he is happy woth that. How is it confusing. It certainly isnt untruthful.

southern hibby
26-07-2011, 11:38 AM
You are only confused if you want ti be. It wasnt up to Sherisan or hibs where he went it was CSKA's shout. No lies or misinfoemation.The second point is as plain as you like. Until someone oays the required compensation Calderwood is Hibs manager and he is happy woth that. How is it confusing. It certainly isnt untruthful. What I find confusing is why CSKA picked St Johnstone before us. Was it because we only offered £20,000 as some papers would like us to believe or was it because CSKA only wanted him out on a loan deal? If Hibs had come out and catigorically stated it was because ??????????? then this would have been put to bed now and not left to grow into an issue.GGTTH

greenlex
26-07-2011, 11:45 AM
What I find confusing is why CSKA picked St Johnstone before us. Was it because we only offered £20,000 as some papers would like us to believe or was it because CSKA only wanted him out on a loan deal? If Hibs had come out and catigorically stated it was because ??????????? then this would have been put to bed now and not left to grow into an issue.GGTTH Hibs never reveal details of transfer negotiations and up until Calderwood mentioned wanting Sheridan they never commented on trialists etc.They have made a rod for their own back( no need fir Petrie puns).If nothing had been said other than we are still weighing it up there wouldnt be the nonsense we are getting. Still tosee an exame of misinformation or lies.

smurf
26-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Hibs put out honest and upbeat communication that is regularly ripped to pieces on forums such as this and the Bounce.

Could you please direct me to honest and upbeat communication from any board member (take yer pick:wink:)?

The only recent one i can think of was RP's statement re Nott Forest that was praised on here and over on the Bounce.

Big Frank
26-07-2011, 12:05 PM

correct.

A good winning team - for a sustained time!! - and EVERYTHING falls into place.

greenlex
26-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Could you please direct me to honest and upbeat communication from any board member (take yer pick:wink:)?The only recent one i can think of was RP's statement re Nott Forest that was praised on here and over on the Bounce. Can someone please direct me to a dishonest downbeat communication I do think communication could be better but am happy to hear about transfer news when its done and dusted. i wouldnt want the club to comment on every rumour that raised its head. I do not like when we as fans are making out the board are dishonest as this ki d of mud slinging tends to grow arms and legs. ( hiws that for a mixed metaphor

BEEJ
26-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Hibs never reveal details of transfer negotiations and up until Calderwood mentioned wanting Sheridan they never commented on trialists etc.They have made a rod for their own back( no need fir Petrie puns).If nothing had been said other than we are still weighing it up there wouldnt be the nonsense we are getting.
Well he's now doing the same with Agogo. Article in today's EEN:

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Calderwood-tells-Hibs-fans-Agogo.6807843.jp

I'm not convinced a wall of silence on the subject would make folks feel any better. It would merely create a perception of inactivity and lack of urgency at Hibs whilst other SPL sides get about their transfer business in an apparently more ordered fashion.

greenlex
26-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Well he's now doing the same with Agogo. Article in today's EEN:http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Calderwood-tells-Hibs-fans-Agogo.6807843.jpI'm not convinced a wall of silence on the subject would make folks feel any better. It would merely create a perception of inactivity and lack of urgency at Hibs whilst other SPL sides get about their transfer business in an apparently more ordered fashion. I know what you mean Beej but a simple "its going well and hopefully we can sort something out" would suffice even then fans would jump on the WTF happened ( Petrie moneygrabbef GTF) if that is said and nothing materialises. Better to leave it alone till its done. There hasnt been a windiw i. The history of windows where Hibs have bedn inactive and there are a good few where signings of quality (perceived or otherwise)have emerged. Patience is not a phrase often linked with Hibs fans.

Smartie
26-07-2011, 12:25 PM

Spot on.

PR, spin, call it what you may, is a load of flannel and blether to butter us up and tell us things are better than they actually are. The last thing that we need.

We need action.

All Hibs need to do is sign a few players so we have options and cover up front (instead of plan A only), at least one bloody right-back at the club and a centre half so that our season doesn't depend on our injury prone new centre-half not getting injured.

Personally, the best thing that could happen (IMO) would be the manager departing, but as it doesn't look like happening I have no option but to get behind him.

southern hibby
26-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Hibs never reveal details of transfer negotiations and up until Calderwood mentioned wanting Sheridan they never commented on trialists etc.They have made a rod for their own back( no need fir Petrie puns).If nothing had been said other than we are still weighing it up there wouldnt be the nonsense we are getting. Still tosee an exame of misinformation or lies. But that's my point would it not be better if Hibs did reveal more than they normally do. We are surely worth more than this. We are HIBERNIAN FOOTBALL CLUB and if we did get more /better information we would be in a better position to see were our Leadership was taking us and to what new level. Other teams do it and do it very well why can't we it may improve gates, it may get the unhappy back on track, but I feel it really can't do anymore harm than is being done at present. As long as it is done in a pro-active and timely manner. GGTTH

southern hibby
26-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Spot on.PR, spin, call it what you may, is a load of flannel and blether to butter us up and tell us things are better than they actually are. The last thing that we need.We need action.All Hibs need to do is sign a few players so we have options and cover up front (instead of plan A only), at least one bloody right-back at the club and a centre half so that our season doesn't depend on our injury prone new centre-half not getting injured.Personally, the best thing that could happen (IMO) would be the manager departing, but as it doesn't look like happening I have no option but to get behind him. I agree totally about a winning team but I would like HIBS to come out and state what is happening about a RB rather than all this speculation. At times I think the board think we are mushrooms to be kept in the dark and fed sh*t. GGTTH

smurf
26-07-2011, 12:37 PM
Can someone please direct me to a dishonest downbeat communication I do think communication could be better but am happy to hear about transfer news when its done and dusted. i wouldnt want the club to comment on every rumour that raised its head. I do not like when we as fans are making out the board are dishonest as this ki d of mud slinging tends to grow arms and legs. ( hiws that for a mixed metaphor

I've not accused any board member of giving dishonest downbeat communications so what's your point?

greenlex
26-07-2011, 12:46 PM
I've not accused any board member of giving dishonest downbeat communications so what's your point? Sorry Smurf but you asked for Honest information in your first post on this thread. This to me suggests the board are being dishonest or the word honest doesnt need to be there. You and tge original poster both mention the need for honesty implyng they are at present being dishonest with us. I try and make my points clearer in future so you dont need to be so nippy with me.

happiehibbie
26-07-2011, 12:51 PM
we have a chicken and egg situation going on we do not have enough people going to the games revenue down cannot pay overheads such as players wages.

we need a team on the park but we need money invested to do this

we need to change the leauge set up i belive playing each other twice is best

Fans are treated like angel delight so we dont turn up to watch

Season tickets how many have we sold ? i recon way down why we are not worth watching and too many games on TV

so how do we sort it

we need to invest on the main USP what is that the TEAM not stadium training facilities GIVE US A TEAM

PR does need to imporove Our directors need to grow a pair and tell MrP that we are losing direction please give us a TEAM on the park build it people will come back

southern hibby
26-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Can I just say I don't think the board are dishonest but I dont feel they give us 100% information. Example 1 statement about CC. this was Ref to Nottinham Forrest not having permission to talk to him, However I may be wrong and I may have missed it but at no time can i recall any information from the board with REF to Birmingham City and whether they have permisssion or not. What I mean with honest information is being 100% factual with us and not giving only bits of information on the one subject. This does not mean that the board are not being honest this just means that they are choosing to give us what information it suits them at the time. Surely we are worth more than that as fans that pay the boards wages.GGTTH.

smurf
26-07-2011, 01:03 PM
Sorry Smurf but you asked for Honest information in your first post on this thread. This to me suggests the board are being dishonest or the word honest doesnt need to be there. You and tge original poster both mention the need for honesty implyng they are at present being dishonest with us. I try and make my points clearer in future so you dont need to be so nippy with me.

Honestly...

The paranoia in defence of the board is fast stiffling any open and honest POV's on here.:grr:

You draw your own conclusion. Think what you like.

Just because i called for 'honest information' or 'honest debate' doesn't automatically mean you are suggesting that's because there is 'dishonest information' or 'dishonest debate'.

The club communicates with us in the main by one way IMHO;

1, It puts out bits and pieces of information (in the main nothing really of substance or importance) on the official site and via a email newsletter (is it still going? Not had one in weeks) that will get picked up by The Edinburgh Evening News.

I'm not saying it was 'dishonest' but in the past we've been told that our finances are 'rock solid' with 'no need to sell'. We have been told 'Tickets are selling fast' and 'We are heading ffor sell out' when the reality was that erm... no we are not.

Instead of bitching about those that haven't renewed their season tickets why not extol the virtues and benefits of what positive results it brings the club through season ticket renewal for club and supporter?

Caversham Green
26-07-2011, 01:03 PM
Could you please direct me to honest and upbeat communication from any board member (take yer pick:wink:)?

The only recent one i can think of was RP's statement re Nott Forest that was praised on here and over on the Bounce.

Does it need to come from (or be attributed to) the board? The offical site always has upbeat articles, as do the newsletter emails - neither seem particularly dishonest either. I'm sure they will all be approved by the board even if they don't actually put their names to them.

I do think communications could be improved ( the fishy site is awful) and that the 'no comment' policy on transfers and the like is too rigid. In particular some explanation of the Sheridan issue would not have gone amiss, even though some on here would still have found negatives or questioned the honesty of any such explanation.

Edit: I see you've answered this as I was typing, but I'm not sure what sort of upbeat and honest communications need to come from the directors, other than a general improvement of the OS and newsletters.

IWasThere2016
26-07-2011, 01:16 PM

:top marks

And that process has to start with new players in ASAP.

Keith_M
26-07-2011, 01:42 PM

Regularly, as with any club.

Players that are about to be transferred announced as 'injured'. Managers proclaiming they are "going nowhere" or still have a "job to do". Refreshment stall food described as "tasty". The list goes on......

JimBHibees
26-07-2011, 01:44 PM

And that process has to start with new players in ASAP.

No doubt we need new players in however is it not better to wait a couple of weeks and get the right players in. These players will hopefully be playing for Hibs for at minimum a season so IMO a bit of patience and a couple of weeks hopefully qwill work out better in the long run. Airey from Newcastle would to me be a better deal than Sheridan for example.

ManBearPig
26-07-2011, 01:54 PM

:agree::thumbsup: correct

abgreen
26-07-2011, 02:20 PM
I do agree about HIBS being quiet and going about signing players etc this way. However at certain times and certain situations call for different tactics. As I have said our fans are bickering over everything at this moment in time. If Hibs did have a good PR Manager in and got the information out and to the fans then a lot of this negativity could be stopped and instantly. Can I ask you one question and answer it honestly would you rather have the truth from the horses muth or speculation and tit bits thrown at us from every quater .GGTTH

Think we only get to know what's happening once something has happened for a reason. Speculation and rumour about who we may be signing is all part of the game. It makes things a bit more exciting. Yes it can get a bit frustrating when areas of the team need strenthening and It doesnt seem like anything is happening but I'm sure we're still looking at players.

HIBERNIAN-0762
26-07-2011, 03:31 PM
One of my long standing complaints about the way our club is (badly) run by PR, really can't explain in words but I always get the impression that they treat us like small unruly children who have no right to ask or make comment on the way the club is sold to punters, the complete lack of any valid information and updates on the official site is nothing short of a joke, Hibernian TV must be the worst offender, just look at the hassle free Falkirk TV last week to view the friendly, after several problems on the TV site I vowed never to give them my money again.

Biscuit tin mentality and the usual "wall of silence" is bad enough from ER, we really do need someone in charge of PR to grab it by the scruff of the neck and give it some welly without interference from the board.

Sorry about the rant but this is a very important point that should be addressed without delay.

marinello59
26-07-2011, 03:33 PM

Stevie Reid
26-07-2011, 03:37 PM

I'll be another to agree with this.

Just how different would the atmosphere at Tynecastle have been this summer after the CT scandal and the ridiculous "mafia" press release if they had finished 10th in the SPL last season, and not qualified for Europe?

Barney McGrew
26-07-2011, 03:38 PM
If Hibs sorted out the PR Machine and we got Honest statements coming out of Easter Road whether this was good or bad ie Signings not getting signings and why we never got them, maybe just maybe it would be a start in the right direction.

Half the problem of the preseason has been that Calderwood has been honest in what he's said.

If he'd done the standard footballing "I'm delighted to be here and don't want to go anywhere else" from the start - despite it not being true - then we wouldn't be where we are now.

At times it seems like the club can't win with some folk anyway. Don't say anything and they're accused of ignoring the fans, and when they do say something they're accused of lying or not telling the full story. Damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

smurf
26-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Half the problem of the preseason has been that Calderwood has been honest in what he's said.

The support is quite obviously split on this.

At the weekend he spoke of being here "..at the minute".

Do you really believe that if not restricted by a contract he'd still be here?

Barney McGrew
26-07-2011, 03:51 PM

Not for a minute. I think he'd be off given half a chance.

The problem is he's been honest in so far as not to commit himself to Hibs, when it would have been far easier for him to lie like most football folk do (see McLeish's 'I'm here as long as you want me' and Mowbray's 'unfinished business' as examples) and things would have carried on as normal. He chose not to do that and we end up in the mess that we're in.

greenlex
26-07-2011, 04:01 PM
One of my long standing complaints about the way our club is (badly) run by PR, really can't explain in words but I always get the impression that they treat us like small unruly children who have no right to ask or make comment on the way the club is sold to punters, the complete lack of any valid information and updates on the official site is nothing short of a joke, Hibernian TV must be the worst offender, just look at the hassle free Falkirk TV last week to view the friendly, after several problems on the TV site I vowed never to give them my money again.

Biscuit tin mentality and the usual "wall of silence" is bad enough from ER, we really do need someone in charge of PR to grab it by the scruff of the neck and give it some welly without interference from the board.

Sorry about the rant but this is a very important point that should be addressed without delay.
There have been at least 2 rounds of supporters forums run by the club with feedback and "minutes" posted on Hibs.net. I do agree the PR needs a shake up. Its times like these and when fans are inventing scenarios and others taking it a gospel then spreading the word that highlight the need for better PR.

southern hibby
26-07-2011, 04:44 PM

If he'd done the standard footballing "I'm delighted to be here and don't want to go anywhere else" from the start - despite it not being true - then we wouldn't be where we are now.

At times it seems like the club can't win with some folk anyway. Don't say anything and they're accused of ignoring the fans, and when they do say something they're accused of lying or not telling the full story. Damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

Yes CC has been honest, but i'm on about the Board surely they should come out and give hibs fans an update to what is happening. if we knew he was going / staying we would then know if players wanted to be here or not.

Just imagine for one moment we had the chance to buy a player and he joined another team because he thought that the manager was only going to be here for another couple of weeks and then would be off. would he join, probably not, you may as well go to a manager who wanted you and was going to stick around to play you. GGTTH

Barney McGrew
26-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Yes CC has been honest, but i'm on about the Board surely they should come out and give hibs fans an update to what is happening. if we knew he was going / staying we would then know if players wanted to be here or not.

They did (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110705/club-update_2262950_2386569) give an update.

It didn't really help matters though.

The Falcon
26-07-2011, 05:34 PM

Thats right. Nobody leaves anywhere these days because they have a contract. right enough. :rolleyes:

smurf
26-07-2011, 06:04 PM

Thats right. Nobody leaves anywhere these days because they have a contract. right enough. :rolleyes:

You've missed the point entirely.

The Falcon
26-07-2011, 06:17 PM
You've missed the point entirely.

The point being he is under contract and it's really difficult to move club if you're under contract?

smurf
26-07-2011, 06:50 PM
The point being he is under contract and it's really difficult to move club if you're under contract?

Well that's obvious!

And the reason and the only reason he's still with us!

The Falcon
26-07-2011, 06:58 PM
Well that's obvious!

And the reason and the only reason he's still with us!

Contracts are worthless these days Smurf. If someone really wants to move they move.

smurf
26-07-2011, 07:02 PM
Contracts are worthless these days Smurf. If someone really wants to move they move.

Yeah but only if the club holding the contract are compensated accordingly. And thus far not sufficiently enough for RP to let CC go!

The Falcon
26-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Yeah but only if the club holding the contract are compensated accordingly. And thus far not sufficiently enough for RP to let CC go!

Football is full of managers who just walk away and it's sorted out afterwards.

We're not going to agree Smurf but I truly believe if he really didnt want to be here he would be gone. Collins did and joined Charelois soon afterwards. Now I'm not saying he wouldnt rather be somewhere else but I dont think he wants to be in that somewhere else as badly as we are led to believe. If he did he would already be there.