PDA

View Full Version : Perspective

leithsansiro
25-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Okay, let's make no bones about it, Hibs were poor for pretty much the whole game and were outplayed by a Celtic team who never needed to raise their game.

Let's move on and build from here. Don't get down on the team. I'm fed up of all the Calderwood/Petrie/any-given-Player bashing threads. Accept what we've got and realise that, like it or not, we're not going to be fighting for Europe or playing flair football. Hibs are in a transition phase (as we have been since Mowbray, admittedly) and we al know that, despite the summer clear out, that few of the players out there on Sunday are going to be here long term. Players like Booth and Hanlon are the future, but the need to be playing in a team that isn't getting barracked by all of the stadium for every poor touch.

Hibs might not set the heather on fire this year, but we'll come good. It's the Hibs way. Well, that and not being up to our necks in debt like all of those big clubs paying unsustainable wages.

SquashedFrogg
25-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Okay, let's make no bones about it, Hibs were poor for pretty much the whole game and were outplayed by a Celtic team who never needed to raise their game.

Let's move on and build from here. Don't get down on the team. I'm fed up of all the Calderwood/Petrie/any-given-Player bashing threads. Accept what we've got and realise that, like it or not, we're not going to be fighting for Europe or playing flair football. Hibs are in a transition phase (as we have been since Mowbray, admittedly) and we al know that, despite the summer clear out, that few of the players out there on Sunday are going to be here long term. Players like Booth and Hanlon are the future, but the need to be playing in a team that isn't getting barracked by all of the stadium for every poor touch.

Hibs might not set the heather on fire this year, but we'll come good. It's the Hibs way. Well, that and not being up to our necks in debt like all of those big clubs paying unsustainable wages.

Hurrah!! Common sense / realism approach! :aok:

Cringed when we got booed off the pitch at half time on Sunday :rolleyes:

marinello59
25-07-2011, 07:05 PM

But we didn't. Not near where I was anyway.

Jonnyboy
25-07-2011, 07:10 PM

Agreed. I didn't hear any booing either

SquashedFrogg
25-07-2011, 07:11 PM

Alright, I'll re-phrase that. Cringed when sections of the crowd booed us off at half time (obviously not where you were sitting).

SRHibs
25-07-2011, 07:12 PM
There's no way we should still be in this 'transition phase' though, that's the thing.

Had Calderwood had his full attention on strengthening the squad, I feel we would've been sitting a lot prettier than we are at this moment. As it stands though, he's had 1 foot out the door for the transfer window thus far, and has made 1 proper signing as a result of this. Not to mention he is still to appoint an AM. Calderwood had a clean slate to work with this summer, so there's no excuses for a poor season in my opinion. We have been pish for god knows how long. The fans have the right to feel more than a tad aggrieved as we're not getting what we're meant to be paying for - entertainment.

SquashedFrogg
25-07-2011, 07:24 PM
There's no way we should still be in this 'transition phase' though, that's the thing.

Had Calderwood had his full attention on strengthening the squad, I feel we would've been sitting a lot prettier than we are at this moment. As it stands though, he's had 1 foot out the door for the transfer window thus far, and has made 1 proper signing as a result of this. Not to mention he is still to appoint an AM. Calderwood had a clean slate to work with this summer, so there's no excuses for a poor season in my opinion. We have been pish for god knows how long. The fans have the right to feel more than a tad aggrieved as we're not getting what we're meant to be paying for - entertainment.

Fair enough but as a supporter I support my team when they play. As long as I get 100% effort (which I did on Sunday) I will encourage them on the pitch, regardless of ability. When a young player makes a stray pass I don't think it helps my team when he's given dogs abuse.

Any gripes I have with management / board are saved for another time.

Why don't more people 'support' their team on the pitch. Sure, bitch on here all week if they chose but for 90 mins 'support' their team.

:confused:

Maybe I'm old school but I have seen far worse Hibs teams than this yet have never experienced the total lack of encouragement on the pitch.

As I stated in a post last week. If your not happy with the current team or the prices or the kick off times - just don't go..

Simple really..:agree:

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Hurrah!! Common sense / realism approach! :aok: Cringed when we got booed off the pitch at half time on Sunday :rolleyes: i cringed when i read this post. Never heard booing in the east. In fact a lot of people stood and clapped a decent first half showing.

TrinityHibs
25-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Alright, I'll re-phrase that. Cringed when sections of the crowd booed us off at half time (obviously not where you were sitting).

No booing near me. Where were you sitting?

Darth Hibbie
25-07-2011, 07:35 PM

i cringed when i read this post. Never heard booing in the east. In fact a lot of people stood and clapped a decent first half showing.

Never heard any booing either. Admittedly I booed at full time but that was only because I was still booing the ref when he blew the full time whistle :greengrin

That said I agree :top marks for the OP

TrinityHibs
25-07-2011, 07:37 PM

In fact how can you tell if SECTIONS re boo-ing? Normally so much nonsense going on you cant hear anything

SquashedFrogg
25-07-2011, 07:40 PM
i cringed when i read this post. Never heard booing in the east. In fact a lot of people stood and clapped a decent first half showing.

Can promise mate, many in the West lower booed. Even watched it again on sky plus and you can here it very clearly.

So you can cringe all you want but it did happen.

Jonnyboy
25-07-2011, 07:42 PM
Can promise mate, many in the West lower booed. Even watched it again on sky plus and you can here it very clearly.

So a minority then as the West Lower looked pretty deserted in places

SquashedFrogg
25-07-2011, 07:43 PM
In fact how can you tell if SECTIONS re boo-ing? Normally so much nonsense going on you cant hear anything

Eh?

I heard parts of the stadium booing? Is that too difficult for you to understand?

What kind of nonsense to you participate in when the half time whistle blows anyway? Just curious? :wink:

SquashedFrogg
25-07-2011, 07:45 PM

Listen. For anyone who sky+ the match please watch and listen when the ref blows for half time??

:agree:

TrinityHibs
25-07-2011, 07:45 PM

I have a ticket in the west lower. There was no boo-ing near me only applause. Where were you in the west lower?

Jonnyboy
25-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Listen. For anyone who sky+ the match please watch and listen when the ref blows for half time??

Am not disputing the booing SF but your original comment sort of implied it was widespread. Anyway, booing was bang out of order IMO as the players didn't deserve it :agree:

SquashedFrogg
25-07-2011, 07:46 PM

Booing from FF too. So that therefor officially confirms that sections (plural) were booing.

Jeezo.

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-07-2011, 07:47 PM
Can promise mate, many in the West lower booed. Even watched it again on sky plus and you can here it very clearly. So you can cringe all you want but it did happen. But surely then you amend your posting to say the booing that you heard in the part of the ground that you were in? I accept your point but in no way was Sunday like anything we heard last year.

BoltonHibee
25-07-2011, 07:48 PM

Just listened again ( Sky + ), could not hear booing, just cheering from the Celtic fans. I said yesterday you couldn't hear Hibs fans anyway.

Removed
Booing from FF too. So that therefor officially confirms that sections (plural) were booing.Jeezo. I was in the FF and never heard any booing and there was no nonsense where I sit.

SquashedFrogg
Am not disputing the booing SF but your original comment sort of implied it was widespread. Anyway, booing was bang out of order IMO as the players didn't deserve it :agree:

Exactly my original point JB, they don't deserve it.

Excuse me if i've got a bit defensive. Just scunnered with constant negativity.

:cgwa

calumb
25-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Fair enough but as a supporter I support my team when they play. As long as I get 100% effort (which I did on Sunday) I will encourage them on the pitch, regardless of ability. When a young player makes a stray pass I don't think it helps my team when he's given dogs abuse.

Why don't more people 'support' their team on the pitch. Sure, bitch on here all week if they chose but for 90 mins 'support' their team.

Maybe I'm old school but I have seen far worse Hibs teams than this yet have never experienced the total lack of encouragement on the pitch.

As I stated in a post last week. If your not happy with the current team or the prices or the kick off times - just don't go..

Simple really..:agree:

And judging by the season ticket sales and the attendance on Sunday thats exactly what people are increasingly starting
to do.

Maybe the guys that stay away are in some weird logic helping the club out as maybe once the board realize that
people are not going to be taken for mugs they might act to do something about it. But its hard for people who have
enjoyed going to matches for years to sit and watch what was offered up as entertainment on sunday and expect them
to clap or sing a long, only the drunks would be able to do that and they are not supposed to be allowed in.

I don't actually think the current players are the worse players we have ever had but i would say they are the worse
organized/motivated group of players we have had in the 30 years i have been following Hibs

TrinityHibs
25-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Eh?

I heard parts of the stadium booing? Is that too difficult for you to understand?

What kind of nonsense to you participate in when the half time whistle blows anyway? Just curious? :wink:

Just general chat about one mistake but effort. Where were you sitting. Just a section will narrow it down. As Jonnyboy pointed out from the east it wasnt too busy in the west lower.

Darth Hibbie
25-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Booing from FF too. So that therefor officially confirms that sections (plural) were booing.

Jeezo.

Sorry SF I am in the FF and there was definitely no booing around me. I can remember thinking at the time that I was pleasantly surprised that I did not hear any.

SquashedFrogg
25-07-2011, 07:51 PM
I was in the FF and never heard any booing

Probably too much nonsense going on?

Right then, maybe it was just one old guy sitting next to me. Who managed to create a large audible booing sound loud enough to make sky sports. In fact, maybe he picked up one of the furry mic's and booed into that?

Craig_in_Prague
25-07-2011, 07:55 PM
I'm deaf in 1 ear, was not at the game as i was in Spain on my hols and i never heard any bo-ing, though i never watched the game coz i decided to lie at the pool instead. So there, confirmed there was no bo-ing.

SquashedFrogg
25-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Just general chat about one mistake but effort. Where were you sitting. Just a section will narrow it down. As Jonnyboy pointed out from the east it wasnt too busy in the west lower.

Section 6, 12 rows from front

TrinityHibs
25-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Eh?

Just texted a mate who is also in the west lower. Different part. No boo-ing there either. To help you he sits in the North part near the FF No boo-ing. Take it you were in your own special place.

SquashedFrogg
25-07-2011, 07:57 PM
I'm deaf in 1 ear, was not at the game as i was in Spain on my hols and i never heard any bo-ing, though i never watched the game coz i decided to lie at the pool instead. So there, confirmed there was no bo-ing.

Fair enough, that's that then. Btw do you happen to know an evil yam called Comrie Stott?

TrinityHibs
25-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Section 6, 12 rows from front

Never realised there were sections at ER. I just have a seat and a letter. You must have heard boo-ing/bo-ing somewhere else

Aldo
25-07-2011, 08:01 PM
I have a question....what if there was booing.

Do the people that pay their hard earned cash not have the right to Boo if they want to??

Ps I wasnt at the game but feel that if you pay the dosh then you have a say. If you are not happy then so be it.
Its not even okay not to go and you get it tight but when you do go and voice your opinion then you are wrong.

I am all for supporting the team but after a poor poor performance (and after only the 1st one) people have a right to express themselves.

Tin hat at the ready.

TrinityHibs
25-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Just texted a mate who is also in the west lower. Different part. No boo-ing there either. To help you he sits in the North part near the FF No boo-ing. Take it you were in your own special place.

If he did that how could you hear boo-ing from all the SECTIONS?

Removed
25-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Probably too much nonsense going on? Don't tell me the Arab was flirting with Sleeping Giant again. Dirty bitch :agree:

TrinityHibs
25-07-2011, 08:04 PM

Do the people that pay their hard earned cash not have the right to Boo if they want to??

Ps I wasnt at the game but feel that if you pay the dosh then you have a say. If you are not happy then so be it.
Its not even okay not to go and you get it tight but when you do go and voice your opinion then you are wrong.

I am all for supporting the team but after a poor poor performance (and after only the 1st one) people have a right to express themselves.

Tin hat at the ready.

No issue with that if it happened but why would you make it up?

SquashedFrogg
25-07-2011, 08:06 PM

Tin hat at the ready.

I repeat....

I repeat...

Simple really..

Darth Hibbie
25-07-2011, 08:09 PM

Tin hat at the ready.

What I don't understand is why you would go to the trouble of paying £30 to go and boo your team. Not for me I am afraid

I repeat...

Simple really..

Would agree with that.

sesoim
25-07-2011, 08:10 PM

:agree: Spot on. A decent manager can reshape a team and get them winning again pretty quickly, unless he has no finances. We are still getting bigger crowds than 8 of the other 11 SPL teams, so there is no excuse there. And we are in such a poor league that it shouldn't be that much of a challenge to find players who can actually win games for us.

We need a manager with a bit of urgency about him, not a guy who is permanently sleepwalking. Some fans are convincing themselves that it'll take years to build the team but that is bull. We have decent foundations, if we had a decent manager we'd have signed the necessary players over the summer.

SquashedFrogg
25-07-2011, 08:17 PM
What I don't understand is why you would go to the trouble of paying £30 to go and boo your team. Not for me I am afraid

Would agree with that.

Thanks Darth. Don't get me wrong, I'm not exactly over the moon with where we are right now but just don't see the point discouraging the team put out on the park.

SquashedFrogg
25-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Never realised there were sections at ER. I just have a seat and a letter. You must have heard boo-ing/bo-ing somewhere else

You want to complain to the board and the manager then my friend. Maybe if they had invested more over pre-season then you'd have a section as well?

SquashedFrogg
25-07-2011, 08:22 PM
There a hundreds of worthless/pointless threads on here. Why is confirmation of no booing deemed a waste of bandwidth? Is it because it gives a positive outlook on our club?

Even the admins on here want us to fail??

HNA6
25-07-2011, 08:26 PM
There a hundreds of worthless/pointless threads on here. Why is confirmation of no booing deemed a waste of bandwidth? Is it because it give a positive outlook on our club?

Even the admins on here want us to fail??Correct but if we deleted every one then there would be no forum eh, the pish certainly outweigh the decent..by a country mile !!

As for your last point ..grow up !!

Barney McGrew
25-07-2011, 08:27 PM
Even the admins on here want us to fail??

:hilarious

Aldo
25-07-2011, 08:27 PM
I repeat....

I repeat...

Simple really..

I SUPPORT THE CLUB AND HAVE DONE FOR OVER 3O YEARS.

I have put a question out there and it is not meant to please everyone.

Will you still feel the same in 2 or 3 weeks when we are sitting bottom of the league with no goals and no points. (and I really do hope that this is not the case.)

Like many others I have spent loads of money following the club I love here there and everywhere. And If I choose to boo or shout my disgust then should I not have the right to do so. (and this is something that I have never and will never do I hasten to add (Boo that is)...I just wouldnt go)

So yes I support the club, have supported the club and will continue to support the club through thick and thin...I chose to not go...others chose to shout and others chose to boo. At the end of the day everyone has an opinion do they not??

SquashedFrogg
25-07-2011, 08:35 PM
I SUPPORT THE CLUB AND HAVE DONE FOR OVER 3O YEARS.

I have put a question out there and it is not meant to please everyone.

Will you still feel the same in 2 or 3 weeks when we are sitting bottom of the league with no goals and no points. (and I really do hope that this is not the case.)

Like many others I have spent loads of money following the club I love here there and everywhere. And If I choose to boo or shout my disgust then should I not have the right to do so. (and this is something that I have never and will never do I hasten to add (Boo that is)...I just wouldnt go)

So yes I support the club, have supported the club and will continue to support the club through thick and thin...I chose to not go...others chose to shout and others chose to boo. At the end of the day everyone has an opinion do they not??

Absolutely, without a doubt. :agree:

My original point seems to be getting missed though. As I understand it, the term supporter implies that you support your team on the pitch?

90 minutes surely isn't that difficult? Slaughter the board, manager, ground staff, pigeons on the pitch, catering etc, on here or by email, letter, phone call or protest but all I'm advocating is that the lads on the pitch (whoever pulls on the jersey) get our support.

Until we start doing that as a collective we're never going to progress.

Aldo
25-07-2011, 08:43 PM
Absolutely, without a doubt. :agree:

My original point seems to be getting missed though. As I understand it, the term supporter implies that you support your team on the pitch?

90 minutes surely isn't that difficult? Slaughter the board, manager, ground staff, pigeons on the pitch, catering etc, on here or by email, letter, phone call or protest but all I'm advocating is that the lads on the pitch (whoever pulls on the jersey) get our support.Until we start doing that as a collective we're never going to progress.

and rightly so. But what you will find SF is that we have a manager who is struggling to get the support of the fans due to all this
uncertainty over the last few weeks.

everyone is frustrated at the lack of transfer activity etc and as every day goes by folk become increasingly frustrated and when at the match and the first thing that doesnt go our way they turn their attention to slagging the team other than supporting the team
We are in dire straits at the moment and TBH cannot see us getting out of it any time soon. We are in the cack unless we get more signings in and will struggle which will cause more problems for the team cos fans will again vent their anger the only way how and that is shouting and booing at games.

I love this club but the way CC has went about his business is all wrong. Why sign a contract for 3 years when you are fed up after 9 months. That in a whole creates the animosity all round and people are very short minded when things dont go our way.

Long Long season ahead I just hope we finish in the right position.

Kato
25-07-2011, 08:56 PM

Good post. If anything I think it's a bit on the pessimistic side as we will still make signings before the window closes and I think Sodje would have made a difference yesterday and will make a difference on his return.

People replying to this with the word "but" in their first sentence are placing obstacles in front of themselves in their support of the club.

Removed
25-07-2011, 09:11 PM
Good post. If anything I think it's a bit on the pessimistic side as we will still make signings before the window closes and I think Sodje would have made a difference yesterday and will make a difference on his return.People replying to this with the word "but" in their first sentence are placings obstacles in front of themselves in their support of the club. I agree with you but many won't :agree:

R'Albin
25-07-2011, 09:33 PM
There a hundreds of worthless/pointless threads on here. Why is confirmation of no booing deemed a waste of bandwidth? Is it because it gives a positive outlook on our club?Even the admins on here want us to fail?? Your making a bit of an arse of yourself on this thread.

LeithBoozy
25-07-2011, 10:07 PM
I thought one of the real positives on Sunday was the absences of any booing. I would also say it enhanced my enjoyment of the game a ton, also to the guy in front of me, who all last season stormed out when we lost a goal. Good choice staying away, as you would only have lasted 13 mins on Sun. :greengrin

Feed McGraw
25-07-2011, 10:20 PM
There WAS some booing, but, IIRC, it was at some daft refereeing decision right at the stroke of half time.

No way were Hibs fans booing the team. It was a decent 1st half, especially after last season`s efforts.

basehibby
25-07-2011, 11:43 PM

Agree with the gist of your post in the middle - thought the first half performance was pretty decent though - barring the individual error which lead to Celtic's goal and maybe a lack of sharpness in front of goal. There was some crisp passing leading to dangerous crosses and Celtic didn't have it all their own way at all in the first 45 although we faded in the 2nd.

Despite the haphazard close season there's little point in bashing Calderwood/Petrie/any-given-Player right now - we need to give them the chance to show us what they can do in the remainder of the transfer window and then in the season beyond. You never know - with all the speculation re Calderwood's future having (hopefully) died away, they might just surprise us yet and give us something to get excited about - and like you say, come good as the season progresses (although I'd beg to differ that this is the Hibs way - more's the pity).

Would like to see action taken in the transfer window sooner rather than later though - even aiming for a reduced squad size, there's still several positions in need of strengthening (RB, CB, AM, Strikers) and with every point a prisoner and the support badly in need of a fillip we can't afford to erse about waiting til the last day of the window to strike deals as seems our usual custom IMO.

(PS - didn't hear any booing apart from at the ref on occasion and Stokes when he got subbed)