PDA

View Full Version : Sky Sports News

ForeverHibs93
25-07-2011, 08:31 AM
They showed the drop of attendances from this openning day from last year, and we had the biggest drop with over 4,500 less fans there, compared to last years openner against Rangers.

IWasThere2016
25-07-2011, 08:32 AM
They showed the drop of attendances from this openning day from last year, and we had the biggest drop with over 4,500 less fans there, compared to last years openner against Rangers.

Fans' fault .. moving on.

Part/Time Supporter
25-07-2011, 08:47 AM

Thing is, the conclusion that the clubs will probably draw from the decline is "it was due to starting in July when some fans were on their holidays", rather than looking at the product itself.

aberhibsfc
25-07-2011, 09:02 AM
Fans' fault .. moving on.

Ultimately yes.

But fans are consumers too, what other business would pass off a poor takings dismissing it as the customers fault. A smart business would look at why and try to address it before the trend continued.

Fans / Customers not buying in, whether a club is a business or not, it's just as damaging.

The number of fans I know that don't go the the games any more are in higher numbers than those that do go these days. Some of it is due to family commitments, pressure on the finances, quite a few though have become more apathetic regards ER. The guys I am talking about were seasoned hardcore attending home away and many of the youth games. The funs gone out for them and they feel that although the OF will dominate the top spots we just aren't competing any more.

The Sheridan scenario doesn't help matters and we've started the season now and not been too busy recruitment wise.

Somethings going to have to give.

Gatecrasher
25-07-2011, 09:04 AM
I would like to hear what Doncaster has to say about this, since he is the current head of the epic fail that has been the SPL. Mind you tipping around the edge answers and rose tinted specs would probably be order of the day.

Andy74
25-07-2011, 09:21 AM
Won one in last eleven.

Lost seven of the last nine.

Lost last four home games.

Last home win in February.

Last win against a top six team in November last year.

Little wonder crowds are down.

Bayern Bru
25-07-2011, 09:39 AM
The opening of the East Stand might have had an effect though, no?

Albion Hibs
25-07-2011, 10:02 AM
Ultimately yes.

But fans are consumers too, what other business would pass off a poor takings dismissing it as the customers fault. A smart business would look at why and try to address it before the trend continued.

Fans / Customers not buying in, whether a club is a business or not, it's just as damaging.

The number of fans I know that don't go the the games any more are in higher numbers than those that do go these days. Some of it is due to family commitments, pressure on the finances, quite a few though have become more apathetic regards ER. The guys I am talking about were seasoned hardcore attending home away and many of the youth games. The funs gone out for them and they feel that although the OF will dominate the top spots we just aren't competing any more.

The Sheridan scenario doesn't help matters and we've started the season now and not been too busy recruitment wise.

Somethings going to have to give.

This "customer service" nonsence is a load of rubbish IMO. Were the people who are no longer attending raised as fans of Tesco? If I had a crap microwave meal from Tesco and they refused to give me a refund, spat in my face I would probably not go back.

But I think we need to seperate out being a customer from a supporter. My dad did not scrimp and save to take me along to hibs and say you are going to be a customer here for the rest of the days, he hold me I was going to be a supporter. I did not get hammered of yam fuds in my youth for being a customer of a team that consistantly lost derbies.

I am a supporter of Hibs, not a customer. If I want customer service I will try and get through the front doors of Harvey Nicks, I am sure it is really good in there. If I want to get something were the value of the item relates directly to what is paid for it, I will go an buy a bar of gold - but that is not football.

The_Exile
25-07-2011, 10:10 AM
When are people going to wake up and realise that we only have a real core support of around 6-7k? It's those other 10 - 15k on the fringes that you need to entice in with good performances, I'm in this boat in that I've precious little money to be spending on 90 minutes of football, with kids to feed and a rubbush wage, price of everything going up, so could be a sign of the times aswell.

Beefster
25-07-2011, 10:38 AM
Thing is, the conclusion that the clubs will probably draw from the decline is "it was due to starting in July when some fans were on their holidays", rather than looking at the product itself.

They'll get it eventually. ST sales aren't down because of holidays.

Springbank
25-07-2011, 10:48 AM
For years and years I have been one of the "Flair Football" fans.

I've despaired for years at Scottish Football. It's dominated by cloggers and hoofball merchants.

Look at a Scots match and then a match from almost any other league in the world, and you'd be hard pressed to recognise it as the same sport at times.

It's all "effort" "commitment" "passion" and no ball retention, basic skills, touch, move, play the ball in front of the man etc.

Now, when people like me pipe up at how appalling the drop has been since the 60s, 70s and early 80s, people in the media and within the game turn round and say "aye, but it's what the FANS want. Scottish fans want to see passion, commitment, and 50-50s. They don't want football to be a non-contact sport, with nice passes going nowhere. They want a high ball in the mixer and a battle to see who wants it".

For years, it was hard to argue.

Now look at what this has brought. Total Failure. On the Pitch : FAIL. Off the Pitch : FAIL.

I tell you what, I would happily watch the U19s if it meant the ball was on the deck, refs actually referreed the game the way it is "on the continent". If that makes it relatively non-contact then so be it.

It will make it entertaining.

I loved much of the McLeish era, loved the Mogga football, enjoyed the majority of JC's reign.

Hated Blobby, Alex Miller, didn't like Mixu's football. Unconvinced by CC.

Get the basics right and Mogga showed ER will have House Full signs up. Until then, i'll stick to the youth football.

allezsauzee
25-07-2011, 11:49 AM
I think the simple fact is that we don't have the flair players to make anyone other than the die hards pay 30 quid to watch when the game is on TV. If we were playing the kind of football we played under Mowbray then supporters would be much more prepared to go along and pay for the live experience. The team we had yesterday were honest triers but we were always going out there to keep the score down.

stubru59
25-07-2011, 12:11 PM
Won one in last eleven.

Lost seven of the last nine.

Lost last four home games.

Last home win in February.

Last win against a top six team in November last year.

Little wonder crowds are down.

Add to that the pre-season pantomime, and you've summed up neatly the reasons for drop in the attendance figures.

stubru59
25-07-2011, 12:12 PM
Won one in last eleven. <br>
<br>
Lost seven of the last nine. <br>
<br>
Lost last four home games. <br>
<br>
Last home win in February. <br>
<br>
Last win against a top six team in November last year. <br>
<br>
Little wonder crowds are down.<br><br>

Add to that the pre-season pantomime, and you've summed up neatly the reasons for drop in the attendance figures.

Golden Bear
25-07-2011, 12:19 PM
£28 a skull for a Sunday televised game that kicked off at 12:30.

Just who is kidding who?

Hakim Sar
25-07-2011, 12:30 PM
I disagree with the notion we still play a long ball game. In actual fact most of the teams look utterly out their depth because they are trying to keep it on the deck but the only way they can do it is at a deathly slow place. Our lack of quality is immensely punctuated by the fact that our passing and ball retention is very very slow and tends to be sideways or backwards. Nobody out there to ramp up the speed and keep the ball moving crisply but quickly in tight spaces.All a good defence has to do is wait for the inevitable mistake then pounce

Mickey Edwards
25-07-2011, 01:16 PM
For years and years I have been one of the "Flair Football" fans.

I've despaired for years at Scottish Football. It's dominated by cloggers and hoofball merchants.

Look at a Scots match and then a match from almost any other league in the world, and you'd be hard pressed to recognise it as the same sport at times.

It's all "effort" "commitment" "passion" and no ball retention, basic skills, touch, move, play the ball in front of the man etc.

Now, when people like me pipe up at how appalling the drop has been since the 60s, 70s and early 80s, people in the media and within the game turn round and say "aye, but it's what the FANS want. Scottish fans want to see passion, commitment, and 50-50s. They don't want football to be a non-contact sport, with nice passes going nowhere. They want a high ball in the mixer and a battle to see who wants it".

For years, it was hard to argue.

Now look at what this has brought. Total Failure. On the Pitch : FAIL. Off the Pitch : FAIL.

I tell you what, I would happily watch the U19s if it meant the ball was on the deck, refs actually referreed the game the way it is "on the continent". If that makes it relatively non-contact then so be it.

It will make it entertaining.

I loved much of the McLeish era, loved the Mogga football, enjoyed the majority of JC's reign.

Hated Blobby, Alex Miller, didn't like Mixu's football. Unconvinced by CC.

Get the basics right and Mogga showed ER will have House Full signs up. Until then, i'll stick to the youth football.

:top marks

nail on the head..........anything else is aesthetically and therefore financially too high risk at Hibernian. With Mowbray and Collins you still got folk shouting "get the ball up the removed park for removed's sake" which was a bit depressing but I reassured myself there was a silent majority....the crowd's were certainly up.