PDA

View Full Version : Away from negativity

Liams
24-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Away from all the doom and gloom after one game, I wanted to just make a post of positivity...
What I thought we did well today was that we kept the ball well, and we did put alot of balls into the box (which when we have 2up top will create alot of goals). I think from that performance Thornhill will have a great season for us... i reckon once we get a RB, a defense of Booth, O'Hanlon, Hanlon, RB and Stack will be quite solid... And you have to remember Celtic are always favorite for the league and we did put up a good fight/kept them back away from goal... I have to say one thing that will get alot of criticism is i thought Stevenson played not that bad in first half, he did loose a few passes/bad touches but it is early in the season but he did put a few good tackles in to win the ball back. We just need to make easter road a fortress, we need too be loud and up for ever game and get behind the team... :cgwa

okay now bring on fans to tell me im wrong... and make me sad again..

Jonnyboy
24-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Away from all the doom and gloom after one game, I wanted to just make a post of positivity...
What I thought we did well today was that we kept the ball well, and we did put alot of balls into the box (which when we have 2up top will create alot of goals). I think from that performance Thornhill will have a great season for us... i reckon once we get a RB, a defense of Booth, O'Hanlon, Hanlon, RB and Stack will be quite solid... And you have to remember Celtic are always favorite for the league and we did put up a good fight/kept them back away from goal... I have to say one thing that will get alot of criticism is i thought Stevenson played not that bad in first half, he did loose a few passes/bad touches but it is early in the season but he did put a few good tackles in to win the ball back. We just need to make easter road a fortress, we need too be loud and up for ever game and get behind the team... :cgwa

You're wrong ........................ not gonna make you sad because I agree with you :greengrin

HibeeSince85
24-07-2011, 10:15 PM
Stevenson was... How can I say it nicely, poor. Him and Murray playing every week scares me.Played quite well at times today - although we are slow at breaking from defense to attack.Sproule was good, we looked dangerous at times down the wings.Stack cost us the first goal but good save with the penalty.Poor crowd, saddened me seeing it so empty.I'm drunk and this is probably the wrong thread for match analysis but hey ho, Inverness next week in the hope we break that hoodoo.GGTTH

hibsbollah
24-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Good post. The stats boys are clearly enjoying themselves because we had no shots, no corners etc but the truth is we played some good stuff first half.

Thornhill, Booth, Hanlon and O Hanlon partership as well as Stephens when he came on, Stevenson first half, Sproule when he had possession all looked decent.

Oh and how nice was the weather?

I think there are grounds for optimism.

muirhousehibby
24-07-2011, 10:23 PM

i agree m8 , i also think the link up play on the left hand side with the younsters was of a high standard, but i think spoony was ok going forward but final ball was poor and his defending was poor lacked committment going back to defend.

we need a right back no question about it, every hibs fan said the same crap last season and were all still waiting.

celtic fans were superb today backing there team, something we lack is committment to the cause the most vocal today backing there team to the hill and even turning there back to us etc. we should have been the ones to out vocal them but not everyone is up for it.

Albion Hibs
24-07-2011, 10:24 PM
Well said OP, we were a lot better thsn I thought we would be today, I am actually looking forward to ICT already! I thought that for decent spells we passed and held the ball well in the first half, we dud nit play as well in the second, but I took confidence from Galbraith looking pretty up for it when he came on.

HibeeSince85
24-07-2011, 10:31 PM
i agree m8 , i also think the link up play on the left hand side with the younsters was of a high standard, but i think spoony was ok going forward but final ball was poor and his defending was poor lacked committment going back to defend. we need a right back no question about it, every hibs fan said the same crap last season and were all still waiting.celtic fans were superb today backing there team, something we lack is committment to the cause the most vocal today backing there team to the hill and even turning there back to us etc. we should have been the ones to out vocal them but not everyone is up for it. Celtic fans were the same as usual, don't talk nonsense

muirhousehibby
24-07-2011, 10:37 PM
Celtic fans were the same as usual, don't talk nonsense

Yes and we were out sang as normal. no arguements there.

All i'm saying is get behind the team like they do and stop moaning at things ffs.

mon the cabbage
25-07-2011, 09:05 AM

I think that we played alright up until ki's goal, before that we were closing down well in a good shape if someone got past booth wotherspoon or hanlon was there to cover. for me man of the match was booth. Its a bit disappoining that our fans didnt turn up, its a new season, pre season is just for trying thing with your team. So if we sart with that team every week(apart from IM and LS in the middle of the park) i'll be fine.

R'Albin
25-07-2011, 09:44 AM
I think that we played alright up until ki's goal, before that we were closing down well in a good shape if someone got past booth wotherspoon or hanlon was there to cover. for me man of the match was booth. Its a bit disappoining that our fans didnt turn up, its a new season, pre season is just for trying thing with your team. So if we sart with that team every week(apart from IM and LS in the middle of the park) i'll be fine. Agreed it was a ki moment in the game :agree:

ahibby
25-07-2011, 09:49 AM
Yes and we were out sang as normal. no arguements there.

All i'm saying is get behind the team like they do and stop moaning at things ffs.

Of course this won't be the same Celtic fans who deserted their club because they didn't like the way the Kelly brothers were running it. They only went back after McCann took over and gave them a club that would be challenging for the league every season. Little wonder that they are up for it. Comparing chalk and cheese, you are.

Don Giovanni
25-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Good post. The stats boys are clearly enjoying themselves because we had no shots, no corners etc but the truth is we played some good stuff first half.Thornhill, Booth, Hanlon and O Hanlon partership as well as Stephens when he came on, Stevenson first half, Sproule when he had possession all looked decent.Oh and how nice was the weather?I think there are grounds for optimism. You're optimistic at continuing nice weather? Jay-sus! There really is no hope for you! :wink:

mickki40
25-07-2011, 09:56 AM
I am one of those fans who is the eternal optimist where our team is concerned. I thought there were posotives from yesterdays game. I won't bore you with them all as folks are already posting them anyway. I truly Believe that we can go to Inverness and win with the style of play we put out yesterday. Players running back was a rarity last season. getting into tackles etc. I want to be typing congratulations to them all after the ICT game.Glory Glory

Stevie Reid
25-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Agree that there was much to be encouraged by yesterday. O'Hanlon looked very good and the back four in general was solid - given how quick and nimble Celtic's two forwards are, they hardly got in behind us at all and created very few good scoring opportunities until the game was practically over. Think Palsson offers nothing going forward at RB, but it solid enough defensively to be an effective stop gap - but overall the back four was as well organised and solid as I've seen under CC, including our good run last year.

With regards to midfield, I hope that the only reason that Stevenson and Murray were both playing in a home game was down to the opposition. I was happy for Stevenson to get another year but sadly he couldn't have had a worse start, his mistake was so poor, he was under no pressure at all, and those who hadn't already written him off may be a lot closer to it now - I am happy for him to be involved as a sub when we're trying to shut games down, but not a starter for me. I was actually extremely sceptical about how effective Ian Murray would be starting games this season, but I thought yesterday was the fittest and most nimble he's looked in a long time, with his passing pretty good by his standards - happy for him to maintain his starting role. I think cult hero status will arive for Thornhill very soon, very encouraged by his performance.

Out wide I don't think there's any argument that Sproule has lost a bit of his pace, but he was full of effort and desire, and thankfully he won't be up against a left side as effective as Izaghuerra and Ledley every week - we'll see how he does against weaker opposition. Wotherspoon undoubtedly has ability with both feet but I think he gets caught up field far too much and is guilty of giving the ball away cheaply at times (though so were many others) - linked up very nicely with Booth at times, may be potential there.

Up front, GOC is not a lone striker and never will be - it's a real shame that Sodje is out for so long as he was enjoying a good run of scoring form and I can't imagine many central defenders would relish an afternoon up against him and Garry. We desperately need more in up top but I believe that it will happen.

Overall there is something to build on there, but there is no argument that we need at least 3 quality players in very soon.