PDA

View Full Version : The Stayaway Fans Cost Our Club £100,000 Today

Pages : [1] 2

Mikey
24-07-2011, 09:05 PM
That's right, £100,000. That's a player on 2k a week for a season.

That could be a right back, a central midfielder or a forward. The very thing the team is screaming out for.

If crowds drop by the same percentage figure over the course of the season it'll be catastrophic for the club.

It's their club. They need to use it or lose it.

hibee92
24-07-2011, 09:06 PM
no doubt they'll still complain about the mess of the team though :greengrin

Gatecrasher
24-07-2011, 09:06 PM
the attendance was shocking today :no way:

Baldy Foghorn
24-07-2011, 09:09 PM

That could be a right back, a central midfielder or a forward. The very thing the team is screaming out for.

If crowds drop by the same percentage figure over the course of the season it'll be catastrophic for the club.

You could argue the Board lost out on 100,000 due to being piss poor, no ambition thus driving fans away:rolleyes:

Hibs90
24-07-2011, 09:09 PM

You mean the stay-away fans? You can't blame them for that shambles. The board and the team are a disgrace, that's not the fans fault.

BoltonHibee
24-07-2011, 09:10 PM

Nope, the Board have cost the club £100k today.

Baldy Foghorn
24-07-2011, 09:10 PM

How are you arriving at that figure, or have you been told it by someone else?

Hibernian Verse
24-07-2011, 09:14 PM
This infighting will do us no good, that's for sure.

Hibby Bairn
You could argue the Board lost out on 100,000 due to being piss poor, no ambition thus driving fans away:rolleyes:

:agree: Plus SPL start date and pricing for this live game was just stupid 1 week after the end of the main Edinburgh hols and a week before next payday for most.

Judas Iscariot
If the on field product wasn't so bad then there wouldn't be so many fans missing! The board cost the club 100k today! Continually appointing the wrong person as manager & time & time again selling our talented players and replacing them with far inferior ones! How much more money will the board cause us to lose this season?

Hiber-nation

That's not the way it works as you know well.

The team performs - the fans turn up. We undercheive on an unprecedented scale - they stay away. And who can blame them?

Westie1875
24-07-2011, 09:15 PM
I can see the point but I don't think it is fair to lay the blame on the fans, the board have overseen a downward spiral since JC left us, there is a hardcore of Hibs fans who will go regardless, but many of the rest have just had enough.

Perhaps if we were better prepared in terms of our squad then more people would have been enticed to come along? It works both ways, the board need to show a bit of ambition, they want to keep CC then fine but they need to back him in signing some quality players (now, not at the end of August) or the stay-away fans just won't come back.

NORTHERNHIBBY
24-07-2011, 09:17 PM
One more game like that, and it will roughly add up to the difference in the compensation money offered and money asked for CC.

zlatan
I bought a ticket for this game a fortnight ago. At the time I felt we were a few signings away from being a decent team and was looking forward to it. As the game got closer and with these signings clearly not coming I found myself further and further disinterested in going as I knew what the end result would be. I didn't go.

It's not really about protests, the board or CC with me. I just don't find entertainment or value for money in it anymore once you total up the ticket cost, petrol from Glasgow and back and the other expenses. I gave up my season ticket at the end of Mixus reign and have been about 7 or 8 times since, my last trip to ER was the Ayr United game. I really haven't missed it since I stopped going, that's not taking digs or being a doom and gloomer, it's just the truth.

Not really sure what my point is tbh. So there you go.

Danderhall Hibs
Is the OP in this thread an example of trolling?

Viva_Palmeiras
How will we compare with other teams?I suspect this year will be tough with the uncertainty and cuts kicking in.Folks and families may find it hard to justify shelling out ESP when on telly. Reality bites unfortunately but as you state it's not without consequences.

Captain Trips
24-07-2011, 09:20 PM
If anyone cost Hibs £100k today it was the people running the club.

Top Pans Hibby
24-07-2011, 09:20 PM

That's right blame the supporters. It's all their fault

I just despair at times....:rolleyes:

Winston Ingram
24-07-2011, 09:21 PM
The crowd was utterly humiliating today:agree:

SanFranHibs
24-07-2011, 09:22 PM
If about 3,000+ more fans had turn up Hibs could have rushed out Monday morning and offered someone 2k a week (obviously gets the trades fortnight off or we would need 104k). And of course this extra player must currently be unemployed because obviously the 100k for wages leaves nothing for transfer fee.

And if we can get an extra 10,000 fans showing up at our next home game we can buy Mayfair and put an hotel on it !!!

DaveF
24-07-2011, 09:24 PM
That's not the way it works as you know well.

The team performs - the fans turn up. We undercheive on an unprecedented scale - they stay away. And who can blame them?

Spot on.

Re the £100,000, I'm sure the ESPN money we got for the ridiculous KO time, will make a dent in the shortfall.

3pm
24-07-2011, 09:30 PM

You're boring. As much as I hate the negative people slating one and all becuase they think it's cool to do so, you're eqaually tiresome.

PaulSmith
24-07-2011, 09:32 PM

IMO there isn't even an argument on that one.

Albion Hibs
24-07-2011, 09:32 PM
That's right, £100,000. That's a player on 2k a week for a season.That could be a right back, a central midfielder or a forward. The very thing the team is screaming out for.If crowds drop by the same percentage figure over the course of the season it'll be catastrophic for the club.It's their club. They need to use it or lose it. Well said mate, but according to some fans it is always someone elses fault that they are not supporting the team anymore. I wonder how much money they all gave to sky tv today?

Baldy Foghorn
24-07-2011, 09:33 PM
IMO there isn't even an argument on that one.

:agree:

R'Albin
24-07-2011, 09:33 PM
You're boring. As much as I hate the negative people slating one and all becuase they think it's cool to do so, you're eqaually tiresome.

I'm sorry Mikey but I have to agree, recently your threads have been getting a bit repetitive..

MrSmith
24-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Is there any point in this thread?

What a lot of p!sh trying to blame the team performance and ills of the board on the fans!?

Get a grip ffs!!!

Baldy Foghorn
24-07-2011, 09:35 PM

Pity their concerns are never tackled head on......Think you are to close to Fife to be subjective:devil:

The_Todd
24-07-2011, 09:36 PM
There was a time I'd have agreed with you Mikey, but I just don't think that £100k would be re-invested into the team.

Shaggy
24-07-2011, 09:37 PM
hey mikey... the crowds will continue to fall.
Get used to it.

Results first then the crowds,
its no chicken and egg theory

Some things have to change, and it starts from the top down.

madabouthibs
24-07-2011, 09:42 PM

That could be a right back, a central midfielder or a forward.

Ah, but would they be Hibs class? :greengrin

Removed
24-07-2011, 09:43 PM
Is the OP in this thread an example of trolling?:agree: getting boring

HONG KONG PHOOEY
24-07-2011, 09:45 PM
Despite having a season ticket I was not there. If the management or board do not show any more urgency I may not return. Why did I buy a season ticket, hope ? But maybe my last !

Jonnyboy
24-07-2011, 09:47 PM

Not sure how you arrived at £100k Mikey but technically you're right in that the poor numbers in the home stands meant the club lost much needed revenue.

Now before I get jumped on by those who delight in telling me I'm looking for someone else to blame other than the support let me make a point which I think is relevant.

The Board is between a rock and a hard place. It needs money in so that players can be signed up - that's a gimme. Where it's at right now is that the perception of many fans is that we've let around 17 players go, some of them the higher earners and have only signed a few. When weighing one against the other it seems as though loads of salaries have been saved and that the Board is reluctant to bring in any new faces - that despite the fact that CC has said he is actively pursuing new faces. Just like any other business however, Hibs has to tighten its belt and so cost saving is important. That's the catch IMO. Perceived penny pinching together with a threadbare squad (threadbare in that a significant number of those listed on the official site are kids with no real experience) leads to a team that is going to struggle to win games. Chuck into the pot that it's not just businesses that need to cost cut, it's families too and there will be fans who think their £25 could be better spent elsewhere.

In a nutshell we are at a point where only a couple of decent signings, allied to a run of good results will stand any chance of enticing fans back. Those components are the responsibility of the club - not the fans

sixtwo
The boards inability to take decisive and rapid action when the Calderwood /Forrest / Birmingham fiasco started was a factor in the low attendance and alleged £100k loss of income for the club.
Weeks went by without comment from the club. We are still waiting for calderwood to convince us he wants to be here.

The situation is dire. Hopefully a new manager and a couple of signings will change things within the next week or two.

Captain Trips

So we wait until the first match of season to see what the crowd is and if its good we buy somebody, you state crying out for so it was clear we needed players before this match. Maybe if they could bother their arse over last 2mths and maybe secure 1 of the players we are screaming out for some more folk might have went.

Big Frank
24-07-2011, 09:48 PM
If its £100,000 down on last years opener, well, we had a few more on the gate that day because we had a new stand.

It was £28 to get in. :faf:

Its was also sunday at 12.30. (whether we like it or not the times of football games kicking off DOES have an effect on the attendance)

It was £28 to get in.:faf:

Its nearly a month earlier than last season. Many people in Scotland are on their holidays. Attandances were poor everywhere.

We have had a really poor 18months of football at Hibernian.

We have had a terrible "behind the scenes" pre season and have no cover all over the park.

It was £28 to get in.:tumble:

Hibs90
24-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Well said mate, but according to some fans it is always someone elses fault that they are not supporting the team anymore. I wonder how much money they all gave to sky tv today?

Not everyone who is complaining about things watched it on tv. I was at the game and I supported the team but at the end of the day if the players aren't performing and the board are showing no ambition it is hardly the fans fault.

R'Albin
24-07-2011, 09:54 PM
If its £100,000 down on last years opener, well, we had a few more on the gate that day because we had a new stand.

Its was also sunday at 12.30. (whether we like it or not the times of football games kicking off DOES have an effect on the attendance)

Its nearly a month earlier than last season. Many people in Scotland are on their holidays. Attandances were poor everywhere.

We have had a terrible "behind the scenes" pre season and have no cover all over the park.

That's all very well, but how much was it to get in !?:greengrin

onfire
24-07-2011, 09:56 PM
I wasn't a stayaway but if we could get our ticketing prices a bit more realistic I'd have taken both my kids as well. But at £14 a pop for a 4 and 7 year old it's a kinda expensive Sunday lunchtime. It's a pity cos both wanted to go.

Viva_Palmeiras
24-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Any more that bought a ticket - ST or otherwise - and didn't go? Maybe they account for a sizeable portion of the stayaways? ;)Fwiw I bought a ticket today but finances dictate I can only attend the odd game here and thereI think that now that the ST drive is winding down there needs to be a campaign to get folks back but it struck me that this thing was not really on the clubs agenda STs are the focus. Not having a dig just an observation.For one thing in the east Id praise the fans I thought despite it all we gave the lads a good backing and didn't get on their backs. Im reserving judgement on the team until about game 5

Hiber-nation
24-07-2011, 09:59 PM
I wasn't a stayaway but if we could get our ticketing prices a bit more realistic I'd have taken both my kids as well. But at £14 a pop for a 4 and 7 year old it's a kinda expensive Sunday lunchtime. It's a pity cos both wanted to go.

Aye, £56 for you and 2 kids to watch a game we hadn't a hope in hell of getting a result and the OP is slagging off the fans....unreal.

Ray_
24-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Well said mate, but according to some fans it is always someone elses fault that they are not supporting the team anymore. I wonder how much money they all gave to sky tv today?

I paid the money to SKY regardless of whether I went to Hibs games or not, what has that got to do with anything. If Hibs were worth the money, they would get the crowds, simple as that.

lucky
24-07-2011, 10:03 PM

Football needs to get real the ticket prices are a joke. Aberdeen charged £25 for adult and £17 for a kid against st Johnston. Hibs charging £28 for a game live on tv is a farce. Hibs will have an average under 10000 this season. All clubs will see crowds downo

Hibby D
24-07-2011, 10:03 PM

Mikey yer like a broken record :agree:

I know why you say this stuff (frequently :greengrin) and in a roundabout way I admire what you are endeavoring to do but if the rallying cry is for the fans to once again "Stand Up and Be Counted" then we can only do it if the club leads by example.

And right at this minute, sadly, it's not :no way:

Gatecrasher
24-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Football needs to get real the ticket prices are a joke. Aberdeen charged £25 for adult and £17 for a kid against st Johnston. Hibs charging £28 for a game live on tv is a farce. Hibs will have an average under 10000 this season. All clubs will see crowds downo Agreed, £28 is a joke to charge for SPL football, scottish football needs a reality check- big time. People are broke these days and if the clubs don't realise that the crowds all over Scotland will get worse

HH81
24-07-2011, 10:08 PM
I'm sorry Mikey but I have to agree, recently your threads have been getting a bit repetitive..

Just wait till your Manure love in threads start in a few weeks. :wink:

For the record I think we all expected a poor crowd today. :agree:

IberianHibernian
24-07-2011, 10:09 PM
Lots of reasons for low crowd today ( low but surely not a surprise to anyone ? ) some not Hibs ( club or according to OP fans`) fault - season starting too early , early kick off etc. but things like high prices and restrictions on buying tickets ( a tourist in Edinburgh couldn`t buy tickets today , on telly they showed long queues at ticket offices 10 minutes into match ) are club`s responsibility without entering into arguments about why team can`t be strengthened without selling more season tickets etc etc We could win next 5 SPLs and still not have 20,000 season ticket holders ( there isn`t enough interest in football in Edinburgh area ) so have to do moore than just complain if ST sales are low in August . 1. Like it or not , more seats for away fans at Category A matches . 2 . Do more to get more away fans at Holy Ground for Cat B matches - recriprocal agreement ? eg 10 quid for fans and the same for us at their grounds . And maybe do something to improve occasion - pre match entertainment , food for away fans ? 3 . Lots of empty seats in FF today which doesn`t look great on telly - for cat A matches stuck by SPL rules about equal prices for home / away fans but what about recip agreements for Cat B matches and special offers for other matches ? Free / subsidised tickets for children , students , unemployed , tourists , invited groups ...... am aware that this already happens to some extent but not very much . For Sunderland game for example , has club distributed flyers and posters to hotels , guest houses , language schools etc ? 4 . We know there are Hibernian supporters all over the world some of them living near enough to organise trips a few times a year - does club encourage groups from eg London or Ireland to visit Easter Road ? Group tickets for example . These fans promote our club . 5 . Pricing in general - 28 pounds for a ticket to see present Hibs team is just not realistic ( even if supporting argument that without more support we won`t have a better team ) - get impression that some people in Edinburgh don`t realise quite how much present economic situation is affecting people .
Am very aware that many fans have participated in ideas to increase crowds but there are several well - paid members of club staff whose duties include marketing I suppose . Never see much sign that anyone at club is relying on more than fans`love of club to support Hibernian .
As a general point , we all want to see a better team on the park and that probably means spending more money , but instead of a slagging match about whether to buy season tickets or not maybe club should be looking at ways of increasing crowds and income in general .
Sorry for ramble - didn`t think we were that bad today but would like to think our expectations are much higher than just accepting mediocrity but present squad and management team suggest our ambitions are very limited .

muirhousehibby
There is just less than 7000 season ticket holders this year. And thats a sign of the times if things go well people will buy season tickets. There has been a lack of commitment from the board on signings as i personally think that cc has found it hard to sign the players he perhaps wants to fill spaces within the squad on such a low budget.

i am glad that cc has not just went out and signed players for the sake of it , on the budge he's been give like the last few managers.

we are at best as it stands a top 6 club and untill we get the investment i think is need (chelsea style lol) will be there to survive and no more.

if you look at the support today at easter road from the idoits in the away end and how vocal they were, we as hibbys need the whole stadium to back the team as they did. singing dancing whatever it takes the team live of that support and we should all learn from that today.

well done btw to the 12th man boys just above me on getting the facebook page to get the flags and singing buzzing in that section. i salute use.

Albion Hibs
These threads are so common now it is untrue. Interestingly full of the same crap "I was a season ticket holder but I am not going back", "if the team was better i would go back", "if we signing more players I would go back", "if the club gave me a reason I would go back". What a load of sh&£e, I am now sick to death of "fans" making excuses for nit going to games, it is always someone elses fault they don't go, someone elses fault they are not supporting hibs - If you don't want to support hibs till you have bern given a reason fine, but surely there is no need to come on here and justify it everyday - no doubt see plenty of them if we start playing very well or progress in the cups!

Dr Jimmy
24-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Despite having a season ticket I was not there. If the management or board do not show any more urgency I may not return. Why did I buy a season ticket, hope ? But maybe my last ! Same here, despite having a season tkt I saw the sunshine and played golf. This is something I would previously never have done, but is a sign of my feelings towards the way our club is being run.

Removed
24-07-2011, 10:13 PM
These threads are so common now it is untrue. Interestingly full of the same crap "I was a season ticket holder but I am not going back", "if the team was better i would go back", "if we signing more players I would go back", "if the club gave me a reason I would go back". What a load of sh&£e, I am now sick to death of "fans" making excuses for nit going to games, it is always someone elses fault they don't go, someone elses fault they are not supporting hibs - If you don't want to support hibs till you have bern given a reason fine, but surely there is no need to come on here and justify it everyday - no doubt see plenty of them if we start playing very well or progress in the cups! So everyone elses posts are crap :faf:

Cabbage East
24-07-2011, 10:13 PM

Who exactly do you think you are?

Captain Trips
24-07-2011, 10:18 PM
These threads are so common now it is untrue. Interestingly full of the same crap "I was a season ticket holder but I am not going back", "if the team was better i would go back", "if we signing more players I would go back", "if the club gave me a reason I would go back". What a load of sh&£e, I am now sick to death of "fans" making excuses for nit going to games, it is always someone elses fault they don't go, someone elses fault they are not supporting hibs - If you don't want to support hibs till you have bern given a reason fine, but surely there is no need to come on here and justify it everyday - no doubt see plenty of them if we start playing very well or progress in the cups!

So people have to come on here and say what? Things that suit you? I disagree with just about all of your post but dont think you shouldnt come on. What you describe above is a large chunk of fans at many clubs, that is nature of it.

broonie27
24-07-2011, 10:22 PM

Get off your high horse mate. Fans' faith in a team (and board) is directly proportionate to their attendance at games. Why should they throw their hard earned cash at something they don't truly believe in - because you say they should. I don't think so.

clerriehibs
24-07-2011, 10:24 PM

I think you're due an apology for this post ...

Had there been a full house, maybe we would have have had an extra £100k in the coffers. To blame it on "stay away fans" is bollocks.

The blame lies at the door of those responsible for not coming up with a product that will fill easter road.

justlikebrazil
24-07-2011, 10:29 PM
Nope, the Board have cost the club £100k today. Totally agree 100%

Newhaven
24-07-2011, 10:29 PM
Grade A games appear to be standard £28 a pop.

The Gers game was yesterday as was our walk up price today. I expect the derby will be set at this level too

£28 for an SPL match? - I and many other fans are OUT..

McSwanky
24-07-2011, 10:31 PM
That's right, £100,000. That's a player on 2k a week for a season.That could be a right back, a central midfielder or a forward. The very thing the team is screaming out for.If crowds drop by the same percentage figure over the course of the season it'll be catastrophic for the club.It's their club. They need to use it or lose it. You've changed.

pacorosssco
24-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Ah, but would they be Hibs class? :greengrin

covers harts wages allegedly for the season injured he has left. hibs class? still to be seen but looks unlikely:greengrin

hibbymac
24-07-2011, 10:32 PM
Grenade launcher, lob one in and revel in the aftermath :bitchy:

Captain Trips
24-07-2011, 10:34 PM
All the OP has done for me is put a possible figure on the money RP and Co are now costing the club, all the more reason for them to be removed asap.

hibbymac
24-07-2011, 10:38 PM
All the OP has done for me is put a possible figure on the money RP and Co are now costing the club, all the more reason for them to be removed asap.

:agree: If the OP hadn't been such a "weel kent face" there would have been posts of LTYF.

Baldy Foghorn
24-07-2011, 10:39 PM

:top marks

DH1875
24-07-2011, 10:39 PM

Do you honestly think the money would have been spent on a player :rolleyes:.

You can stick your £100k. If the board were doing their job right we'd have pocketed £400k for CC (4 more players going by your argument) and sold a barrel more tickets if a new manager had been in place.

And by the way, I was at the game the day.

tony
24-07-2011, 10:40 PM
There's a common note that goes through these threads, one about having to pick and choose games to go to as the cost is too high. I took my son and nephew today and the reality is with three Michelin Star pies and the petrol the all in cost for me was about £90. Twice a month is impossible for me. And for what? The worst quality and most boring football Scotland league of all time?? Professional players who can't basically control a ball and when they do they have only the faintest idea what to do with it? And the quietest Hibs Celtic game I've ever been at. A German match costs on average £15. Fans can afford to go to all the games. Capacities are big across the league. And young fans go, in their thousands, to ensure that the passion lives on for generations to come. Oh and they can control a ball and do have ideas about what you do with it.

The simple economics make no sense. A rotten product at a silly price. New customers are priced out. Only the hardcore remain, and over time this dwindles. That crowd? On the first day of the season? Against Celtic? Not ever ever ever the fault of fans, but of a game and system around it that is dying, in Scotland, on its arse.

Baldy Foghorn
24-07-2011, 10:40 PM
Do you honestly think the money would have been spent on a player :rolleyes:.

You can stick your £100k. If the board were doing their job right we'd have pocketed £400k for CC (4 more players going by your argument) and sold a barrel more tickets if a new manager had been in place.

And by the way, I was at the game the day.

:agree::agree:

Davy Mac
24-07-2011, 10:42 PM
The club has cost me about £100,000 over the years.

Yes, yes, roll up, roll up - £28.00 a head to watch your team getting turned over - woopee.

Same story, different year.

hibbymac
24-07-2011, 10:44 PM
The club has cost me about £100,000 over the years.

Yes, yes, roll up, roll up - £28.00 a head to watch your team getting turned over - woopee.

Same story, different year.

£29.50 with the booking fee :wink:

Captain Trips
24-07-2011, 10:48 PM
There's a common note that goes through these threads, one about having to pick and choose games to go to as the cost is too high. I took my son and nephew today and the reality is with three Michelin Star pies and the petrol the all in cost for me was about £90. Twice a month is impossible for me. And for what? The worst quality and most boring football Scotland league of all time?? Professional players who can't basically control a ball and when they do they have only the faintest idea what to do with it? And the quietest Hibs Celtic game I've ever been at. A German match costs on average £15. Fans can afford to go to all the games. Capacities are big across the league. And young fans go, in their thousands, to ensure that the passion lives on for generations to come. Oh and they can control a ball and do have ideas about what you do with it.

The simple economics make no sense. A rotten product at a silly price. New customers are priced out. Only the hardcore remain, and over time this dwindles. That crowd? On the first day of the season? Against Celtic? Not ever ever ever the fault of fans, but of a game and system around it that is dying, in Scotland, on its arse.

Indeed I have lost count of the off the cuff games I would go to, now due to price and unfortunatly product a lot more thought goes into the decision to attend certainly for me.

Good post Tony

cabbageandribs1875
24-07-2011, 10:58 PM
£28, nuff said, ram it

Sir David Gray
24-07-2011, 10:58 PM
I'm not one of the stayaway fans but these posts that are getting at the fans and are coming from the same people time and time again now are really annoying me.

The last 18 months have been, by and large, absolutely woeful. Since February 2010, we have now played 63 competitive matches and in that time our record is;

W-14
D-12
L-37
F-73
A-114

People will only take so much of substandard performances and shocking results before they say enough is enough and when people are being asked to pay nearly £30 to get into a football match at a time when food bills are soaring and people are struggling to hold onto their jobs, a leisure activity will be the last thing on their minds. If we were playing entertaining football, challenging for things and near the top of the league then people would make the effort to find the money to get to Easter Road and watch the team but with the way things are just now, you can't expect that to happen and you can't blame them either.

No-one can surely say that we have had value for money in the past 18 months and I don't blame anyone who has decided to do other things with their spare time and spend their well earned money in other ways.

If the club has lost out on £100,000 today, then it's the management of the club and the players of the club who are to blame for this occurring, for poor decision making and poor playing performances.

It is absolutely not the fault of the club's supporters.

hibsbollah
24-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Grenade launcher, lob one in and revel in the aftermath :bitchy:Lobbing a grenade launcher would cause maybe a black eye, at most. Plus youd never get such a bulky piece of hardware through the turnstile. Youd be much better just throwing the grenade.

Franck Stanton
24-07-2011, 11:20 PM

Exactly, gone [or should I say going] are the days when supporters blindly turn up and pay their hard earned to watch, what in truth, can only be described as rubbish, below par performances week in - week out. IF the board had dug deep and sanctioned a few more transfers in then the attendance today and every game for rest of season could be considerably more. As it stands more and more are taking Mr Blobby's advice and going to the movies for entertainment.
After releasing , what 12 players from end of last season, thats an awful lot of cash saved in wages, surely some of it could have been used in securing the appropriate personell to supplement the young guys we already have.

BEEJ
24-07-2011, 11:21 PM
I assume that Mikey is using last season's first home match at ER against the Huns as the benchmark?

That game was on 22nd August - fewer folks on holiday.

We had the new East Stand to celebrate.

We had won our league opener the week before at Fir Park

We had Riordan and Stokes in the line-up (i.e. a strike-threat).

We were still labouring under the illusion then that Hart and EDG were going to be good signings.

seanshow
24-07-2011, 11:23 PM
Most of the SPL clubs crowds have dwindled away over the last 10 years, ourselves and the yams have held up better than most.
I think the stat above 14 wins out of 63 games has to be significant + £28 for a Spl game is daylight robbery.

pacorosssco
24-07-2011, 11:24 PM

You talk a lot of sense ma man and at £90 nicker twice a month I commend you . This is a lot of money and there will be those that cant afford this and would like to go. The economics just dont go and for how much longer will the club be getting £90 of your goodself. Tough times ahead I fear unless the board wake up to this fact.

.Sean.
24-07-2011, 11:35 PM
Nae wonder folk stayed away. 28 quid to get in? I'll tell the jokes. Get used to it, we're gonna have to with that tight arsed tashy fud running the ship.

Purehibee_MYB
25-07-2011, 12:02 AM
What frustrates me most is the fact that although in the past we all disagreed at certain points (which is natural), the state of hibs has got to such a point that all fans are turning on each other as a channel to place blame.

Aye the team are a shambles, as is the behind-the-scenes at the club, but what should never change is the support of the club, I completely understand people not showing up as there is no incentive to watch dire football and just become frustrated and in all honesty I have delayed getting a season ticket, partly because I have no money, but also because I'm not sure I want to spend what little money I have on getting angry on a saturday afternoon!

The club can't expect to sell out when performances are like that, with 0 shots at home! But equally I believe we all need to stick together through the rough patch that we are having, as bickering does no one any good!

Hibercelona
25-07-2011, 02:02 AM
You know, its really sad. I've been a member on this forum for quite a number of years now and slowly but surely I have watched it decay.

I remember when I first joined, this site was full of optimism and people couldn't wait for the next Hibs kick off. But now, we'd much rather rant at eachother over such pointless debates.

And if you disagree with the majority, then you're a yam in disguise. :blah:

You know... maybe, just maybe if we all pulled together, we could do something constructive to help our club? instead of all this pointless "i'm right, you're wrong" nonsense.

No doubt i'll get shot down for the post by some bams who calls themselves true fans of the club, but at least i've said what i've wanted to say.

calumb
25-07-2011, 03:25 AM
You know, its really sad. I've been a member on this forum for quite a number of years now and slowly but surely I have watched it decay.

I remember when I first joined, this site was full of optimism and people couldn't wait for the next Hibs kick off. But now, we'd much rather rant at eachother over such pointless debates.

You know... maybe, just maybe if we all pulled together, we could do something constructive to help our club? instead of all this pointless "i'm right, you're wrong" nonsense.

No doubt i'll get shot down for the post by some bams who calls themselves true fans of the club, but at least i've said what i've wanted to say.

The site was perhaps more optimistic and people could not wait for the next match because there was always the slight
chance we might win it. Even during the tough times you always had belief that maybe the next match would be the one
that they would turn on the style and give everyone something to shout about.

Sadly thats not the case now and hasnt been for nearly 2 years. Everyone knew we would lose yesterday and all that
was left to be decided was how badly a beating it was going to be. Which led to the last few optimistic souls declaring a
2-0 defeat was an ok result, and with opinions like that it hardly suprising that people start to turn on each other.

Yesterday was probably an all time low for Hibs in living memory for a first game of the season because you honestly
cannot see anything changing anytime soon as there was not even one player that put in anything close to an acceptable
performance. The only one that came close was Booth and even he struggled badly defensively (which is supposed to
be his job). We got very lucky yesterday as celtic were given enough space in and around our box that they could have
quite easily destroyed us.

So unless Rod is going to fork out for pretty much a whole new team we have a long struggle ahead, we all know this
and they expect people to pay a fortune to witness it.

SanFranHibs
25-07-2011, 03:56 AM

....for wanting to do pull together and do something contructive.

The problem is what? And no offence but you did not give us your solution and what you mean by all pulling together. Do you mean everyone should just go along and sing and clap and cheer on every player even though the product on the field is, in their opinion, terrible? It's human nature to vent one's displeasure.

I suppose it is like politics. Everyone says they want the best for the country but think very differently on how that should be achieved. Are you advocating we spend more and increase our debt? Or spend even less to completely eliminate our debt and perhaps just concentrate on producing more from our youth program?

And I hope you are including the management in 'we all pull together'?

I am not having a go at you, just saying your posting was as general as any other, including mine, although I have stated recently that we need a strategy, perhaps a 3 year plan, which should be adhered to. But who decides what it is? I certainly don't pretend I have a magic formula.

However, I do feel that until we get settled team management we can go nowhere. We certainly just seem to be be stumbling from short term fixes that are not fixing anything.

Not always the boards fault and they should not have to take 'the blame' but they must assume their share of responsibilty. The manager should be supported by the board, with reasonable funds, to allow him to develop a team that still allows our best prospects the opportunity of breaking in to the first team, but also provides for a few experienced players of a decent standard.

But then, what constitutes 'reasonable funds'? Answers on postcard with a large check to my P.O. Box please. The winner will receive a postcard from a holiday island of my choosing !

Lucius Apuleius
25-07-2011, 05:37 AM
How much do people think it should be to get in? Most seem to agree that £28 is too much. What would be the impact on the club with lower entrance fees?

EasterRoad4Ever
25-07-2011, 05:57 AM
Can't blame the stay away fans. I have a ST and it almost turns my stomach to watch this piss poor Hibs, managed by a couldn't-care-less manger and lead by a Board who's record of recruiting managers is woeful. If performances and results don't improve, I can see the situation getting worse quite quickly.

And we'll end up SACKING CC to get shot of the loser, and getting NOTHING in compensation when he then moves to Birm or Notts. That would cap it all off nicely:idiot:

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-07-2011, 06:04 AM
I get the feeling that this situation will be repeated throughout the season at most clubs televised games v The OF. The gulf in class between the top 2 and the rest is increasing year on year and the cost to sit and watch your team getting stuffed by these sides is getting silly. Its a sad indication of the general direction Scottish football is heading in.

Viva_Palmeiras
25-07-2011, 06:10 AM
I get the feeling that this situation will be repeated throughout the season at most clubs televised games v The OF. The gulf in class between the top 2 and the rest is increasing year on year and the cost to sit and watch your team getting stuffed by these sides is getting silly. What he said. When will the penny drop Scotland Is likely to be disproportionally affected by the cuts so folks are tightening belts bracing themselves. Lloyds are cutting back are the RBS not having further waves of redundancies they've had quite a few already this will have a knockon effect to other businesses

Hibbyradge
25-07-2011, 06:24 AM
One more game like that, and it will roughly add up to the difference in the compensation money offered and money asked for CC.

No compensation money was asked for.

Hibbyradge
25-07-2011, 06:29 AM
How much do people think it should be to get in? Most seem to agree that £28 is too much. What would be the impact on the club with lower entrance fees?

Frankly, it's not worth the bus fares across town anymore.

Not since it went up to £1.30 anyway.

Don Giovanni
25-07-2011, 06:35 AM
I can see the point but I don't think it is fair to lay the blame on the fans, the board have overseen a downward spiral since JC left us, there is a hardcore of Hibs fans who will go regardless, but many of the rest have just had enough. Perhaps if we were better prepared in terms of our squad then more people would have been enticed to come along? It works both ways, the board need to show a bit of ambition, they want to keep CC then fine but they need to back him in signing some quality players (now, not at the end of August) or the stay-away fans just won't come back. :agree: Good post

BSEJVT
25-07-2011, 06:39 AM
The reasons why people stop going are many and varied.

What wont help them return or less importantly frequent message boards like this and remain attached to the club in the hope that they will return at some future date is the witch hunt being practicsed by certain people aginst those that choose not to go.

Its not compulsory to attend.

I had until this year had a season ticket for 17 years, my reasons for not having one this year are:

1) Cost - Budget is very tight

2) Worries about job security

3) Pressure of work

4) Family Life pressure

5) Unfathomable / Irregular kick off days / times

Hitherto I have managed to deal with / ignore 1-5 and could have continued to do so this year, although these pressures are increasing.

I didnt buy a season ticket this year as I just cant stand to see a Hibs team like this, not only was I not enjoying it, it was making me angry, depressed, argumentative, foul mouthed and it got to the point I stopped looking forward to going and just used to dread it.

In past times I have been a staunch defender of the board, and I fully accept they are between a rock and a hard place, but there is so much wrong on the footballing side of the club that I cant see how they can put in right and barring the Mowbray blip ( with JC initially continuing that) they have had it wrong for 20 years?

Now I know I will get stick for this post and be told "all the above are just excuses" well, no they arent they are reaons my reasons and since attendance is not compulsory, will do just fine.

Would I like to be enticed to going back to watching Hibs with the dozen or so of my mates who have also lapsed? You bet I would.

Maybe this post is an exercise in self justification ,as I do feel bad about not buying a season ticket and that I have let the club down, I am sorry I just couldnt stand it any longer.

Hibbyradge
25-07-2011, 06:44 AM
My mate, another ex-long term season ticket holder, started doing a suduko puzzle in the middle of a game last year.

Jim44
25-07-2011, 07:07 AM
Don't look any further than Calderwood and Petrie for the mess we are in.

IWasThere2016
25-07-2011, 07:18 AM
The reasons why people stop going are many and varied.

What wont help them return or less importantly frequent message boards like this and remain attached to the club in the hope that they will return at some future date is the witch hunt being practicsed by certain people aginst those that choose not to go.

Its not compulsory to attend.

I had until this year had a season ticket for 17 years, my reasons for not having one this year are:

1) Cost - Budget is very tight

2) Worries about job security

3) Pressure of work

4) Family Life pressure

5) Unfathomable / Irregular kick off days / times

Hitherto I have managed to deal with / ignore 1-5 and could have continued to do so this year, although these pressures are increasing.

I didnt buy a season ticket this year as I just cant stand to see a Hibs team like this, not only was I not enjoying it, it was making me angry, depressed, argumentative, foul mouthed and it got to the point I stopped looking forward to going and just used to dread it.

In past times I have been a staunch defender of the board, and I fully accept they are between a rock and a hard place, but there is so much wrong on the footballing side of the club that I cant see how they can put in right and barring the Mowbray blip ( with JC initially continuing that) they have had it wrong for 20 years?

Now I know I will get stick for this post and be told "all the above are just excuses" well, no they arent they are reaons my reasons and since attendance is not compulsory, will do just fine.

Would I like to be enticed to going back to watching Hibs with the dozen or so of my mates who have also lapsed? You bet I would.

Maybe this post is an exercise in self justification ,as I do feel bad about not buying a season ticket and that I have let the club down, I am sorry I just couldnt stand it any longer.

Top Post, Mr T. Especially this bit - "Its not compulsory to attend" which I'll come back to.

As a non-"staunch defender of the board", I think there have been some really daft decisions taken that have resulted in a spectacular o.g. and this is not hindsight, I said these things at the time.

Due to the Board's vision and pace of development of infratstructure as a priority over the team, the fan base etc - we have low levels of cash, an increased cost base (East borrowing costs) and increased fixed costs (East Mains). We now need the cash from the gates more than ever .. hence the pricing is excessive.

Sadly, as before the Board have neglected the on field offer and totally under-estimated the need for a good team to drive for income/off-field success.

I think there is an arrogance and ignorance in the Boardroom at ER believing that the fans will automatically attend and that fans' hearts rule our heads.

For some it does, for many more and an increasing number this is not the case.

On a micro level we need new signings asap to address the faults in the team/squad. Time for action.

On a macro level we need a change of direction, we need new money, we need new leadership. Time for change.

Lucius Apuleius
25-07-2011, 07:23 AM
Frankly, it's not worth the bus fares across town anymore.

Not since it went up to £1.30 anyway.

Got to get to bloody town first!!!!!

J-C
25-07-2011, 07:29 AM
SSN reporting that although 5,000 less fans than last seasons opener at ER, Aberdeen had 2,000 fewer and Dundee U 1,000, so it's not just Hibs, although we had a hellova lot more missing, that's due to to ongoing problems which have happened over the past 3-4 years.

GloryGlory
25-07-2011, 07:33 AM
Same here, despite having a season tkt I saw the sunshine and played golf. This is something I would previously never have done, but is a sign of my feelings towards the way our club is being run.

I have a season ticket, but at the moment I honestly can't be REMOVED! It's bad enough that I give Hibs my hard-earned (and I am on a pay freeze at work) but surely Hibs don't expect me to sit through 90 minutes of utter turgidity and dross as well? :greengrin

Seriously, there several reasons why people don't go (economy, silly kick-off times, prices), but ultimately the big turn-off is the generally poor quality of the product on offer, not just at ER but throughout Scottish football. If the product were worth watching, customers would be attracted back. Currently, they have higher and more entertaining priorities for their spare time and cash.

BSEJVT
25-07-2011, 07:34 AM
Top Post, Mr T. Especially this bit - "Its not compulsory to attend" which I'll come back to.

As a non-"staunch defender of the board", I think there have been some really daft decisions taken that have resulted in a spectacular o.g. and this is not hindsight, I said these things at the time.

Due to the Board's vision and pace of development of infratstructure as a priority over the team, the fan base etc - we have low levels of cash, an increased cost base (East borrowing costs) and increased fixed costs (East Mains). We now need the cash from the gates more than ever .. hence the pricing is excessive.

Sadly, as before the Board have neglected the on field offer and totally under-estimated the need for a good team to drive for income/off-field success.

I think there is an arrogance and ignorance in the Boardroom at ER believing that the fans will automatically attend and that fans' hearts rule our heads.

For some it does, for many more and an increasing number this is not the case.

On a micro level we need new signings asap to address the faults in the team/squad. Time for action.

On a macro level we need a change of direction, we need new money, we need new leadership. Time for change.

Hello Garry,

Hope this finds you and the family well?

Another trip to Carnoustie beckons later this year, So I will get in touch once it has been agreed.

I didnt agree with you at the time re the East Stand, although I saw your point, I was seduced by wanting the ground complete and something for us to be proud off.

It is however increasing looking likely to be named "Petrie's Folly"

Our only chance as I see it is to unearth another Golden Generation and soon as the split between fans in opposing camps and fans v the board is widening daily.

I dont share your regard for CC, but wouldnt under normal circumstances have been advocating change as we desparately need some stability, but IMO he has made his position untenable by his refusal to commit publicly to the club and is creating another excuse for division within the support.

As a club we find ourselves in some ways in the eye of "the perfect storm" with everything seeming to conspire against us at the one time.

Other than obvious wind up merchants, its a sad sight to see the support at such logger heads with each other and with such vitriol. The Jambos must be wetting themselves.

It would be far better if we could accept that strong opinions honestly held arent wrong and stop winding each other up and creating and widening the current divisions.

GGTTH

jonty
25-07-2011, 07:34 AM
It's the holidays. Prices haven't increased much over the last 4-5 years (£27 to get into the PBS in 2007?) and ST Prices have been frozen at various stages over the last few years.What's exceptional this year is the early start. Prices are nothing new and we've all complained about them before.

Dalkeith
25-07-2011, 07:35 AM
Got offered the use of a ST yesterday but turned it down and spent my £28 in the pub yesterday

NeilOrrSquareBa
25-07-2011, 07:43 AM
Duh?
Offered ST and was going to pay £28 for it or are you saying you weren't even going to pay the bus fare to go with a free ST and drank yourself silly in the pub instead. Either way you sir are a tube!:thumbsup:

Beefster
25-07-2011, 07:44 AM
See when that Woolworths went under and all those poor folk lost their job? That was the customers' fault for not buying their over-priced toot and pick and mix. Nothing whatsoever to do with the decisions of their management, refusal to modernise and piss-poor strategy.

FACT.

blackpoolhibs
25-07-2011, 07:48 AM
See when that Woolworths went under and all those poor folk lost their job? That was the customers' fault for not buying their over-priced toot and pick and mix. Nothing whatsoever to do with the decisions of their management, refusal to modernise and piss-poor strategy.

FACT.

I see Hibs as a less successful pound stretchers.

The Falcon
25-07-2011, 07:57 AM
In agreement with you on his JB.

The club, or the clubs owners/board, have made it clear they will not invest speculatively in any asset that is (more than) likely to either go south or cost the club money. There are always examples of when we have done it either well or Ok but these are very heavily outweighed by the signings that have failed to inspire us. Generally it has gotten us into trouble when we have done this in the past and, generally, the fans dont turn up, at least not quickly enough or in sufficent numbers to make any major outlay justifiable.

A prime example of the gamble taken when signing players is Michael Hart, a decent highly regarded pro with a good pedigree, who most generally enthused about, some even waxed lyrical about his "pace" (:greengrin), but that has not worked out and who would have known? Stokes did but for every Tony Stokes there are ten Ed De Graff's. Thats the market we're in and when they do do well they are looking to get out of ER, at the earliest opportunity. Or their agent is seeing pound signs elsewhere and trying hard to move them on and some are pretty ruthless in this arena. Football is a fickle game and if someone hangs around an opportunity may be gone bacause of loss of form or, god forbid, injury. That is the case and always will be now.

But, as you point out, signing players is the responsibility of the club and, to date, CC has had more hits than misses which is commendable and also appears to be willing the play our youngsters and, in this as well, he seems to be showing he seems to know when the are ready or when they need more time. He appears to be selective and focused on the players he wants rather than some random scatter approach whereby he signs lots of players more in hope than design.

I thought we were ok yesterday but am dissapointed O'Hanlon is hurt already.

As you said the board/club are in a catch 22 situation. Its easy to say spend a bit more to get this or that and it will come back through the gate but, historically, that has not been the case. But if they dont get in players the apathy and disassociation amongst supporters will continue and they will find explaining the expenditure to a loved one, or even the wife, even more difficult as the family budget gets squeezed still further.

Not sure how you arrived at £100k Mikey but technically you're right in that the poor numbers in the home stands meant the club lost much needed revenue.

Now before I get jumped on by those who delight in telling me I'm looking for someone else to blame other than the support let me make a point which I think is relevant.

The Board is between a rock and a hard place. It needs money in so that players can be signed up - that's a gimme. Where it's at right now is that the perception of many fans is that we've let around 17 players go, some of them the higher earners and have only signed a few. When weighing one against the other it seems as though loads of salaries have been saved and that the Board is reluctant to bring in any new faces - that despite the fact that CC has said he is actively pursuing new faces. Just like any other business however, Hibs has to tighten its belt and so cost saving is important. That's the catch IMO. Perceived penny pinching together with a threadbare squad (threadbare in that a significant number of those listed on the official site are kids with no real experience) leads to a team that is going to struggle to win games. Chuck into the pot that it's not just businesses that need to cost cut, it's families too and there will be fans who think their £25 could be better spent elsewhere.

In a nutshell we are at a point where only a couple of decent signings, allied to a run of good results will stand any chance of enticing fans back. Those components are the responsibility of the club - not the fans

Dalkeith
25-07-2011, 07:58 AM
Duh?
Offered ST and was going to pay £28 for it or are you saying you weren't even going to pay the bus fare to go with a free ST and drank yourself silly in the pub instead. Either way you sir are a tube!:thumbsup:

Duh!
was offered ST in pub as someone who purchased it didnt want to go, i had no intention of going to game but simply stating that for cost of a ticket i had a good day out, all about value for money:na na:

marinello59
25-07-2011, 08:01 AM

Good question. Cutting entrance fees by enough to increase the gate sufficiently to maintain the same income is an almost impossible trick to pull off. Scottish football is expensive but unfortunately the upwards pressure on wages from the leagues down South have our clubs hamstrung.
In the good times price hardly comes in to the equation for people though does it? I fully understand why people stay away, we all have competition for our spare time and cash. However there is no harm in pointing out good reasons for continuing to give financial support during tougher times. Which is all the OP was doing.

IWasThere2016
25-07-2011, 08:04 AM
Don't look any further than Calderwood and Petrie for the mess we are in.

The only common denominator since the downward and four managers in four years (assuming Lewis Stevenson is not involved in Board decisions/strategy).

marinello59
25-07-2011, 08:06 AM
The only common denominator since the downward and four managers in four years (assuming Lewis Stevenson is not involved in Board decisions/strategy).

What about Tam McCourt?:greengrin

BSEJVT
25-07-2011, 08:09 AM
But was it?

Its all about attracting people who want to come because they want to.

What is it they say "one volunteer is worth a hundred pressed men"?

There is far too much emotional blackmail going on, its like your pals encouraging you to play "chicken"

IMO its wholly counterproductive folk read things like that and some will turn towards the rally call and yet more I suspect turn further away.

blackpoolhibs
25-07-2011, 08:10 AM
Good question. Cutting entrance fees by enough to increase the gate sufficiently to maintain the same income is an almost impossible trick to pull off. Scottish football is expensive but unfortunately the upwards pressure on wages from the leagues down South have our clubs hamstrung.
In the good times price hardly comes in to the equation for people though does it? I fully understand why people stay away, we all have competition for our spare time and cash. However there is no harm in pointing out good reasons for continuing to give financial support during tougher times. Which is all the OP was doing.

For me the price is not the major thing, its the constant changes of day and times, but for a lot it seems it is. I think we are getting to the stage we are pricing more and more fans out of football.

I dont know the answer, its been proved dropping the prices does not make much difference. Yet £28 is not cheap, and people are finding it hard, especially those who have children.

Its worrying times ahead for everyone.

macca70
25-07-2011, 08:16 AM
The fans hold something that the club desperately want, our hard cash.

The club can't just expect the fans to fork out with absolutely no return.

The club need to do there bit and 'Stand up and be Counted' the fans have been doing it for long enough.

If the club are going to charge £28 then they are going to have to offer something in return.

The Board need to concentrate more on putting a product on the park and less about running a business and I dont mean we should be living outwith our means, just spend less time looking at balance sheets and more time on the footballing side eg why wasn't Stevenson just released freeing up a wage to bring in a replacement.

I've forked out for my season ticket but if I don't see some action taken by the Board/Management soon then there's no chance I'll be renewing next season, the club have had long enough to Stand up and be Counted and it now just feels like they are taking the pee out of us!!

Phil MaGlass
25-07-2011, 08:17 AM

You ARE pulling our legs right, you cant be ****in serious???
The fans cost us 100,000k, away and bile yir heid, anyone and I mean even a yam can see its the boards fault.
If you dont invest in the team and hold onto a manager that doesnt want to stay what type of message does that send to supporters. 28 REMOVED QUID TAE GET INTAE A MATCH THATS AN EARLY LIVE ko, WTF, AYE ITS THE FANS FAULT RIGHT ENUFF.... wtf???

marinello59
25-07-2011, 08:20 AM
But was it?

Its all about attracting people who want to come because they want to.

What is it they say "one volunteer is worth a hundred pressed men"?

There is far too much emotional blackmail going on, its like your pals encouraging you to play "chicken"

IMO its wholly counterproductive folk read things like that and some will turn towards the rally call and yet more I suspect turn further away.

I can see why you could view it that way.
Personally I feel the club should get existing season ticket holders more involved in persuading people to attend games. I am thinking here of schemes likelast years green Day. More a case of gentle persuasion than arm twisting if you like.

basehibby
25-07-2011, 08:23 AM

So...nothing to do with a shambolic close season topped by being gazzumped by St Johnstone for desperately needed reinforcements then :confused:

The fare on display last season was absolutely dire for the majority of matches and it was always obvious that many would need to be convinced that a change for the better was in the offing before subjecting themselves to 90 minutes of misery once again. The three signings made thus far are of sufficient quality to be a step in the right direction, but considering we've seen about 17 departures, including our top goal scorer for the last 40 years, it is blindingly obvious that more is needed.
An opportunity to give fans a straw to clutch at was passed up just the other day - a serious blunder IMO which pretty much guaranteed a poor crowd yesterday - if you want to go about waving castigating fingers at folk then I suggest you try waving them at the people responsible for such a PR disaster two days before the start of the season.

bingo70
25-07-2011, 08:24 AM
Personally I feel the club should get existing season ticket holders more involved in persuading people to attend games. I am thinking here of schemes likelast years green Day. More a case of gentle persuasion than arm twisting if you like.

Schemes like that are only good if it's entertaining on the park, other wise you'll just put people off paying money to see us if it's pish.

IMO the ONLY way to increase attendences is to improve the quality on the park, do that and people will come back, if we don't no matter how cheap the tickets are or what other incentives are offered ticket sales will continue to decrease, weekends are too short to spend the majority of your day doing something you're not enjoying, even if it is cheap.

khib70
25-07-2011, 08:27 AM

Well I agree with you, actually. Obviously the daft kick off time and factors of that ilk had an effect, but people giving up on their team before a competitive ball has been kicked is way out of order. It was depressing and embarassing to see the wide open spaces, and equally so to see people streaming out of the East Stand with twenty minutes to go. We have had numerous rants on here about getting behind the team etc, which is fine. It's obviously just messageboard rhetoric for a lot of people. It's fine waving the green flag on here but getting your butt onto a seat would be a more genuine gesture.

I was hoping that the relentless negativity over the close season - notably the 4,000 odd posts about a complete non-story, and the panic-stricken rants about a transfer window which has five weeks to run, would die down once the real business of supporting the team on the park started.

I actually believe that CC will produce the goods this season, once the transfer deals are done. And then, surprise surprise, the absent fans will come trooping back., and will "sing when we're winning".

BSEJVT
25-07-2011, 08:30 AM

I agree entirely with that strategy, but it should be more about reasons to come back rather than holding a gun to someone's head

There's a whole attitude going around just now that "if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem"

People are unnecessarily polarised into two camps, with those not "on message" demonised. (Exaggaration to make point)

Even Hibs net is like that these days, it can be torturous reading and sometimes I just think what's the point

The point is that it keeps me informed and interested in Hibs and looking for a reason to go back.

What's happening now IMO is that people are getting so hacked off with all the negativity, all the the name calling and slights on their Hibs credentials that some will just think stuff it and walk away, that is in no-one's interests.

GreenPJ
25-07-2011, 08:33 AM
There are two facts:

1) Supporters can choose to go to a game/buy a season ticket or not
2) The less people turn up/buy a season ticket, the less money the club and manager have to spend on players

Go figure what the outcome is.

IWasThere2016
What about Tam McCourt?:greengrin

GUILTY - take him away! :bye:

:faf:

The Falcon

There are others.

Frazerbob
25-07-2011, 08:34 AM

:faf:

IWasThere2016
25-07-2011, 08:35 AM
There are others.

Not in control, nor with his influence/role/remit nor accountability.

IWasThere2016
25-07-2011, 08:35 AM
There are others.

green&left
25-07-2011, 08:37 AM

Probably none seeing as it was on ESPN.

Crowds have been gash all weekend through-out the SPL. 4000 at Motherwell - Caley, 6000 at Dundee Utd - Killie. Even Rangers couldn't sell out for their first game of the season flag day thingy and Hearts struggled with 800 tickets. Worrying times ahead for the whole league...

IWasThere2016
25-07-2011, 08:42 AM
Schemes like that are only good if it's entertaining on the park, other wise you'll just put people off paying money to see us if it's pish.

IMO the ONLY way to increase attendences is to improve the quality on the park, do that and people will come back, if we don't no matter how cheap the tickets are or what other incentives are offered ticket sales will continue to decrease, weekends are too short to spend the majority of your day doing something you're not enjoying, even if it is cheap.

Yup - the only lasting USP is good football.

ER is lovely - we should be proud of it - but £28 to be miserable in comfort .. that's why we are 4,500 down on last season. Simple.

HFC 0-7
25-07-2011, 08:43 AM

Not a very good way of pointing out that good reason though. I read it more as a pop at people that didnt go. IMO the reason people arent going is because they have given their support for 4 or 5 years now in the hope that performances and results would improve, instead they continue to spiral downwards. The board want to run the football club as a business, well in a business which is typically trying to sell something the first thing you need is a good product to sell. Hibs product is the performances on the pitch and they are not good enough. This isnt people deciding to spend their money elsewhere after 1 or 2 bad run ins with said product its 60+ games!

We have let 12 players go and brought 3 in, so right now we must be paying less in salaries unless one of those 3 have come in on a crazy wage. Hibs and CC have mentioned that there was money still left in the budget and that the money in the deal for Sheridan would be used elsewhere. The fact that it hasnt and we have started a season short on numbers and short is players for certain positions further isolates our support.

IMO the board are not doing enough, right now they seem to be expecting un wavering support from the fans to bail them out of this situation. Many posters are saying 'what are the board going to do, they have already said that they will not speculate' Is it the fans that need to speculate then? Do we need to pay money and hope that the board uses? Looking at the FF and Main stand yesterday at all the empty corporate seats show me that the board are not doing enough to try and get the corporate side of things going. They should have been trying to get business in, wine and dine them and try and sell them packages. Fans cant really buy the corporate seats so to fill them, it is really the boards job. A lot of them were empty so how much did that cost the club? How much is a corporate seat for a match? Few hundred pounds?

StevieC
25-07-2011, 08:44 AM
I was at a scooter rally in Dundee at the weekend so yesterday I got up at 6.30am, jumped on the vespa and froze my bollocks off on the dual carriageway between Dundee and Perth. Quick change and shower and down to Corstorphine to meet up with a mate and a spot of breakfast at The White Lady before heading up to Easter Road for the game. We got beat, as expected, but I still enjoyed my day.

Then I come on here and read this thread and start questioning whether I was meant to enjoy it???

It seems to me that the Internet (and message boards) is a place where the minority can make you think that there are "major" problems if they shout loud enough and long enough. I've often found that the opinions expressed by supporters on here do not always match those in the pubs around the stadium or the fans around me at the games.

I dont blame the supporters for not turning up, it has and always will be personal choice.
I dont blame the players, who yesterday I thought played alright. Some better than others but that's for another thread.
I dont blame the board who have done quite well to put the current structure in place and give us an excellent platform to work from in the coming years (Rome wasn't built in a day).
I dont blame the manager who I think has all the attributes to do quite well at Hibs, if given the opportunity and gets the backing of the fans, the players and the board (2 out of 3 aint bad).

I've paid good money to watch worse teams.

J-C
25-07-2011, 08:45 AM
Yup - the only lasting USP is good football.

ER is lovely - we should be proud of it - but £28 to be miserable in comfort .. that's why we are 4,500 down on last season. Simple.

Nail on he head........I was thinking about going but got the chance to work in the taxi early in the morning, so did a few hours and watched it on ESPN, glad I didn't go as it was dire stuff.

Expecting Rain
25-07-2011, 08:48 AM
Well I agree with you, actually. Obviously the daft kick off time and factors of that ilk had an effect, but people giving up on their team before a competitive ball has been kicked is way out of order. It was depressing and embarassing to see the wide open spaces, and equally so to see people streaming out of the East Stand with twenty minutes to go. We have had numerous rants on here about getting behind the team etc, which is fine. It's obviously just messageboard rhetoric for a lot of people. It's fine waving the green flag on here but getting your butt onto a seat would be a more genuine gesture.

I was hoping that the relentless negativity over the close season - notably the 4,000 odd posts about a complete non-story, and the panic-stricken rants about a transfer window which has five weeks to run, would die down once the real business of supporting the team on the park started.

I actually believe that CC will produce the goods this season, once the transfer deals are done. And then, surprise surprise, the absent fans will come trooping back., and will "sing when we're winning".

Sorry mate but i don`t think Alex Ferguson could produce much with the present squad, i admire your loyalty and optimisim but i can`t see where it is coming from, our most creative player is a young talented left back.

marinello59
25-07-2011, 08:49 AM
People are unnecessarily polarised into two camps, with those not "on message" demonised. (Exaggaration to make point)

I couldn't agree more. The thing is there is no ''on message'' on here. Whichever side of a debate you find your self on there will be examples of ''robust'' rebuttalls. That is just the nature of a messageboard, people will disagree with you.
(Think negative whinger v head in the sand style digs. They come from both sides equally. Not nice when you are on the receiving end but not something to lose sleep over.)

ahibby
25-07-2011, 08:52 AM
I haven't read all the replys to this post but having read the majority on the first page, I am happy (in a way) to see that the fans know that it is the board that are costing the club and not the stay away fans. The board have had a few seasons now to sort things out, from the John Collins appointment to now and they have failed to convince the fans to continue to throw their money away, finally. Those fans who have been accused of costing the club money were there last season and still the club finished tenth in the league. Was that the fans fault then? At least the majority of us know were the problem lies. If staying away brings this board down then I am happy to stay away because the club can't go forward with them. It's a disgrace the the club deems it satisfactory to start a season without the players we need and still expects fans to part with there cash to watch their team being brushed aside with 0 attempts on target in ninety minutes at home.

hibsbollah
25-07-2011, 08:53 AM
I was at a scooter rally in Dundee at the weekend so yesterday I got up at 6.30am, jumped on the vespa and froze my bollocks off on the dual carriageway between Dundee and Perth. Quick change and shower and down to Corstorphine to meet up with a mate and a spot of breakfast at The White Lady before heading up to Easter Road for the game. We got beat, as expected, but I still enjoyed my day.Then I come on here and read this thread and start questioning whether I was meant to enjoy it???It seems to me that the Internet (and message boards) is a place where the minority can make you think that there are "major" problems if they shout loud enough and long enough. I've often found that the opinions expressed by supporters on here do not always match those in the pubs around the stadium or the fans around me at the games.I dont blame the supporters for not turning up, it has and always will be personal choice.I dont blame the players, who yesterday I thought played alright. Some better than others but that's for another thread.I dont blame the board who have done quite well to put the current structure in place and give us an excellent platform to work from in the coming years (Rome wasn't built in a day).I dont blame the manager who I think has all the attributes to do quite well at Hibs, if given the opportunity and gets the backing of the fans, the players and the board (2 out of 3 aint bad).I've paid good money to watch worse teams. Good post.

StevieC
25-07-2011, 08:54 AM
IMO the ONLY way to increase attendences is to improve the quality on the park

In a round about way, but I think you can simplify it even further .. winning.

Every so often you can put together a team that gels and wins games. Whether it be Hibs, Hearts, Dundee United or even Inverness, getting a "winning" team on the park will generate interest and get the fans through the gates. Losing games loses fans.

However, getting that winning team in todays environment of short contracts, loan deals, Bosmans and greedy agents is a lot harder than it was 20 years ago.

Betty Boop
25-07-2011, 08:54 AM
I couldn't agree more. The thing is there is no ''on message'' on here. Whichever side of a debate you find your self on there will be examples of ''robust'' rebuttalls. That is just the nature of a messageboard, people will disagree with you.
(Think negative whinger v head in the sand style digs. They come from both sides equally. Not nice when you are on the receiving end but not something to lose sleep over.)

Has it not been like that for years on here though ? What ever happened to the Happy Clappers v The Doom and Gloomers ? :greengrin

marinello59
25-07-2011, 08:56 AM
Has it not been like that for years on here though ? What ever happened to the Happy Clappers v The Doom and Gloomers ? :greengrin

I like to picture them still fighting it out on a Brighton beach. :greengrin

BSEJVT
25-07-2011, 08:57 AM

Thanks

For clarity I wasnt suggesting there was a "hibs net message" as such I was clumsily trying to allude that fans were seen by their peers as either "on messge" or "off message" sometimes they are neither.

The Falcon
25-07-2011, 08:58 AM
I was at a scooter rally in Dundee at the weekend so yesterday I got up at 6.30am, jumped on the vespa and froze my bollocks off on the dual carriageway between Dundee and Perth. Quick change and shower and down to Corstorphine to meet up with a mate and a spot of breakfast at The White Lady before heading up to Easter Road for the game. We got beat, as expected, but I still enjoyed my day.

Then I come on here and read this thread and start questioning whether I was meant to enjoy it???

It seems to me that the Internet (and message boards) is a place where the minority can make you think that there are "major" problems if they shout loud enough and long enough. I've often found that the opinions expressed by supporters on here do not always match those in the pubs around the stadium or the fans around me at the games.

I dont blame the supporters for not turning up, it has and always will be personal choice.
I dont blame the players, who yesterday I thought played alright. Some better than others but that's for another thread.
I dont blame the board who have done quite well to put the current structure in place and give us an excellent platform to work from in the coming years (Rome wasn't built in a day).
I dont blame the manager who I think has all the attributes to do quite well at Hibs, if given the opportunity and gets the backing of the fans, the players and the board (2 out of 3 aint bad).

SaudiHibby
25-07-2011, 09:04 AM
I can't see anything wrong with well constructed negative messages on fans websites as undoubtedly the Board will read them. I would be astonished if Petrie and co don't react to the shocking situation at ER by buying players towards the end of the transfer window. I would also imagine that players like O'Connor and Sproule will be demanding new players after yesterday. If by the 1st of September no new players have come in the Board can expect a previously unseen level of dissatisfaction from fans. :flag:

blackpoolhibs
In a round about way, but I think you can simplify it even further .. winning.

Every so often you can put together a team that gels and wins games. Whether it be Hibs, Hearts, Dundee United or even Inverness, getting a "winning" team on the park will generate interest and get the fans through the gates. Losing games loses fans.

However, getting that winning team in todays environment of short contracts, loan deals, Bosmans and greedy agents is a lot harder than it was 20 years ago.

I agree, folk will moan about costs, the weather, even the time of kick off, but the one sure way of getting more bums on seats is a winning team. Fans will find the money from somewhere if the team start winning regularly.

I agree it is getting harder to win, and all the reasons you state contribute to this, yet we kept being told we had to be patient, wait until the infrastructure is in place and all our focus would then be on putting a proper side on the park. I dont see many signs thats the case at the moment though, it seems we are cutting back on wages now, maybe the infrastructure is costing us too much? will we just have to be a little more patient. :dunno:

ahibby

I admire your positivity and resilience. I'm also glad to see that unlike an acquaintance of mine who went along yesterday your highlight of the day wasn't watching the Celtic fans enjoying themselves (pewk). You know that shouting on a message board like this is usually indicated by puting all words in capitals I haven't seen any of that. I wonder whether when Rome was being built the architect was changed constantly over a five year period and was asked to do it with out the full work force required for the job? Maybe's aye maybe's naw. You don't give any consideration what so ever though to the idea that maybe the present incumbent of directors are wrong for the club. That's your perogative but I don't think you should have a go at people for simply responding to the o.p. If he hadn't blamed fans then my whinging would not have been written.

It turns out that Phil MaGlass did shout on the board, so I take that bit back.

MB62
25-07-2011, 09:08 AM
Has it gone up to £28 for these matches?
I didn't even know this and delighted to say I saved myself an extra pound.

Lack of Leadership and investment from the board
Continually seeing players targeted signing for other clubs, some of whom are financially not in our league
A manager who quite obviously is desperate to get away ASAP
Match kick-off time 12.30 on a Sunday
Live on T.V.
Already paid to watch it in the house so another £28 is a no brainer and I can turn it off when my team is losing (which I did eventually)

I am desperate to go back and support a good winning Hibees team but the board have got to start acting like they want this club to be a success ON the park, something I feel they have never done under Petrie's stewardship. No doubt he has the accounts in good shape but let's see the product on the park. Despite what I mentioned above, if we all thought we had a chance of cuffing that lot yesterday, we would probably all have gone along (about 8 of us) but we are all sick of not just recent events but the seemingly long term policy of the board, accounts first then HOPE the team are ok.

R'Albin
25-07-2011, 09:10 AM
Just wait till your Manure love in threads start in a few weeks. :wink:For the record I think we all expected a poor crowd today. :agree: I don't love man utd!! Although I have missed those threads over the close season :greengrin

bobbyhibs1983
25-07-2011, 09:15 AM
Alot og good and bad points in the whole thread so far and i tihnk its becoming common shall i say?

As im sure alot of people are aware there are common reasons for fans not going such as
1.cost
2.time of k.o.
3.lack of a winning team.

Im sure alof of people would have seem these reason quoted and quite rightly so.But i feel there are only a few people who can change this, the board.Im sure someone at hibs, whoever it is will look at the situation, maybe at this site and see a common trend.

The many reason i did not go or get a season ticket was cost,pure and simple i could not afford it.
A point a few posters have touched on is other costs as well e.g petrol prices but im sure other people who have homes/kids/partners will have seen other things increase, and i mean pretty much everything has went up, gas, leccy.

The thing that sorta annoys me is peopel saying if we had a winning team is there would be more fans,but if somone cannot afford a st or a ticket, would it matter if we had a winning team or not? that person cannot afofrd to go.

T.v kick off times, Im sure msot people would rather it be a 3pm kick off and would not mind the odd saturday 12 15 or sunday game but it seems we have loads of them.

green&left
25-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Has it gone up to £28 for these matches?
I didn't even know this and delighted to say I saved myself an extra pound.

Lack of Leadership and investment from the board
Continually seeing players targeted signing for other clubs, some of whom are financially not in our league
A manager who quite obviously is desperate to get away ASAP
Match kick-off time 12.30 on a Sunday
Live on T.V.
Already paid to watch it in the house so another £28 is a no brainer and I can turn it off when my team is losing (which I did eventually)

I am desperate to go back and support a good winning Hibees team but the board have got to start acting like they want this club to be a success ON the park, something I feel they have never done under Petrie's stewardship. No doubt he has the accounts in good shape but let's see the product on the park. Despite what I mentioned above, if we all thought we had a chance of cuffing that lot yesterday, we would probably all have gone along (about 8 of us) but we are all sick of not just recent events but the seemingly long term policy of the board, accounts first then HOPE the team are ok.

Yep, £28.

Far to expensive in these current economic times. I don't get the massive increase aswell when playing ther old firm? It's not as if your seeing top class players anymore. Your paying £6 extra to go to a game when there is an increased chance of getting beat and played at an 'akward' kick-off time. Bizarre!

FitbaFolkKen
25-07-2011, 09:31 AM
An excellent post, I've always treated the games as part of a day out, as opposed to just going to a game.which in turn makes the day more expensive but a good time is had regardless. £28 is crazy money however.

We can argue all day and night about generating income and how the board spends money etc.....but at the end if the day if we start winning a few games the crowds will rise.....preferably stuffing the yams!!

After all it's a results based business.

ahibby
25-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Alot og good and bad points in the whole thread so far and i tihnk its becoming common shall i say?

The thing that sorta annoys me is peopel saying if we had a winning team is there would be more fans,but if somone cannot afford a st or a ticket, would it matter if we had a winning team or not? that person cannot afofrd to go.

T.v kick off times, Im sure msot people would rather it be a 3pm kick off and would not mind the odd saturday 12 15 or sunday game but it seems we have loads of them.

I can understand your point of view and I am not in the camp of 'we must have a winning team'. The issue I have with the club is that they don't seem to appreciate where the line is. The club has crossed the line for many supporters and that is why they are not going. I had a st for the best part of fifteen years and i wouldn't say we had a winning side for all of that period. However we did seem, as a club, to be ready for the start of a season during the majority of those years and also know when and when not to keep a manager. The board has changed and so has the times.

FitbaFolkKen
25-07-2011, 09:38 AM
My interpretation is that Hibs when they are playing well are higher up a persons priorities than when they are playing badly, ie if there is spare money available you might take the wife out for dinner, but if we've won four on the bounce and have the JT's at the weekend .... Would you really take the wife out?

I also appreciate that some people can't justify spending that much on a game of football, I know I have been in that situation.

As im sure alot of people are aware there are common reasons for fans not going such as
1.cost
2.time of k.o.
3.lack of a winning team.

Im sure alof of people would have seem these reason quoted and quite rightly so.But i feel there are only a few people who can change this, the board.Im sure someone at hibs, whoever it is will look at the situation, maybe at this site and see a common trend.

The many reason i did not go or get a season ticket was cost,pure and simple i could not afford it.
A point a few posters have touched on is other costs as well e.g petrol prices but im sure other people who have homes/kids/partners will have seen other things increase, and i mean pretty much everything has went up, gas, leccy.

tony
25-07-2011, 10:40 AM
There's a lot of folk getting on at each other (as always), but there are some interesting points being made. Going back to the simple economics we have a small stadium we cant fill, an ageing support as youngsters cant afford to come and a product that isnt worth the price. And you can substitute Hibs for any other team in the SPL and its the same story. Carrying on this way does not address the problem. We constantly talk about getting rid of one mediocre player and bringing in another, as if that is going to change anything. Journeymen from around the leagues does nothing to address the poor product we watch. I'd be radical - knowing that it'll never ever happen but what the hell - and get all the other clubs (ignoring OF) to turn to youth, recognise we have a duty to try to play entertaining football, pay wages to suit and drop the prices to match those other underachieving countries - like Germany. Put the league up to 16 and i reckon in about ten years we would see our game turn round. And could it be any worse than it is at the moment? Can anyone tell me one moment in the whole game yesterday that stood out as a genuinely good piece of football, from either side?

One thing stood out for me yesterday. In two years or so of SPL Wotherspoon has gone from a player of promise to a boy utterly shot of confidence. How many other youngsters learn quickly to play 'safe' and then lose all that made them players in the first place. Our present situation doesn't just let us down, it lets down all the young players of the future.

Saorsa
25-07-2011, 11:08 AM

It's their club. They need to use it or lose it.Maybe those running the club should have been thinking of that while on their watch the quality on the park has sunk tae one of the worst levels it's ever been at.

Petrie & Co. are the ones running Hibs and they and their policies alone are resposible for the situation Hibs are in on the park. If they're happy tae take the credit for the off field stuff they can bloody well take the flak for the ****in' farce we have become on it and the blame for the resultant drop in crowds.

It's the fans fault though, Petrie and co. are only responsible for the good things that happen at the club :rolleyes:

marinello59
25-07-2011, 11:16 AM
Maybe those running the club should have been thinking of that while on their watch the quality on the park has sunk tae one of the worst levels it's ever been at.

Petrie & Co. are the ones running Hibs and they and their policies alone are resposible for the situation Hibs are in on the park. If they're happy tae take the credit for the off field stuff they can bloody well take the flak for the ****in' farce we have become on it and the blame for the resultant drop in crowds.

It's the fans fault though, Petrie and co. are only responsible for the good things that happen at the club :rolleyes:

No need for the sarcasm is there? Can't we just debate things without the snidey digs, nobody has said that.

Golden Bear
25-07-2011, 11:20 AM
There's a lot of folk getting on at each other (as always), but there are some interesting points being made. Going back to the simple economics we have a small stadium we cant fill, an ageing support as youngsters cant afford to come and a product that isnt worth the price. And you can substitute Hibs for any other team in the SPL and its the same story. Carrying on this way does not address the problem. We constantly talk about getting rid of one mediocre player and bringing in another, as if that is going to change anything. Journeymen from around the leagues does nothing to address the poor product we watch. I'd be radical - knowing that it'll never ever happen but what the hell - and get all the other clubs (ignoring OF) to turn to youth, recognise we have a duty to try to play entertaining football, pay wages to suit and drop the prices to match those other underachieving countries - like Germany. Put the league up to 16 and i reckon in about ten years we would see our game turn round. And could it be any worse than it is at the moment? Can anyone tell me one moment in the whole game yesterday that stood out as a genuinely good piece of football, from either side?

One thing stood out for me yesterday. In two years or so of SPL Wotherspoon has gone from a player of promise to a boy utterly shot of confidence. How many other youngsters learn quickly to play 'safe' and then lose all that made them players in the first place. Our present situation doesn't just let us down, it lets down all the young players of the future.

I entirely agree and I just hope Callum Booth doesn't suffer the same fate.

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-07-2011, 11:21 AM
I get the feeling that this situation will be repeated throughout the season at most clubs televised games v The OF. The gulf in class between the top 2 and the rest is increasing year on year and the cost to sit and watch your team getting stuffed by these sides is getting silly. Its a sad indication of the general direction Scottish football is heading in.

Re the bit in bold, I should also have emphasised its not because the OF are getting better, its just that the rest are getting worse at a faster rate than them.

Saorsa
25-07-2011, 11:21 AM
No need for the sarcasm is there? Can't we just debate things without the snidey digs, nobody has said that.The OP looked like a dig tae me at fans that are fed up paying up for dross and who have now had a gut full.

Sarcasm, sly digs, and snide remarks seems tae be quite the thing on here these days.

marinello59
25-07-2011, 11:30 AM
The OP looked like a dig tae me at fans that are fed up paying up for dross and who have now had a gut full.

Sarcasm, sly digs, and snide remarks seems tae be quite the thing on here these days.

I know, you complained about it the other day on a thread didn't you? Which is why I am surprised to see you still doing it on here. Surely we can do better than that, aren't we all on the same side really?

TheEastTerrace
25-07-2011, 11:33 AM

Mikey, if there was ever a thread on Hibs.net for you to highlight to Fife, then this is it.

If anything, it clearly highlights a serious disenchantment from the support towards the board/club and its current strategy. There are also perfectly valid reasons for not attending that the board should look to consider and address tout suite.

Unfortunately, the club can no longer rely on heart ruling head when it comes to supporting the club. Those days are gone IMO, rightly or wrongly.

The board need to realise very quickly that they now find themselves in a position where a serious amount of goodwill from supporters has been lost. They have led the club to a situation where emotional pleas for supporters to continue a commitment to coughing up money for increasing ticket costs in times of personal economic restraint will simply not work anymore.

Over to the board.....

Gatecrasher
25-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Mikey, if there was ever a thread on Hibs.net for you to highlight to Fife, then this is it.

If anything, it clearly highlights a serious disenchantment from the support towards the board/club and its current strategy. There are also perfectly valid reasons for not attending that the board should look to consider and address tout suite.

Unfortunately, the club can no longer rely on heart ruling head when it comes to supporting the club. Those days are gone IMO, rightly or wrongly.

The board need to realise very quickly that they now find themselves in a position where a serious amount of goodwill from supporters has been lost. They have led the club to a situation where emotional pleas for supporters to continue a commitment to coughing up money for increasing ticket costs in times of personal economic restraint will simply not work anymore.

Over to the board.....

if the board are in thier monday meeting and scratching their heads as to why there were only 9000 Hibbies there, then they need to take a close look at this thread. Whatever side of the argument you are on you have to admit our turnout was dire and the club are going to suffer in the long term if this keeps up. The fans have made their point, Hibs now have just over a month to show the ambition and drive a lot of people are looking for, or another hard season with an empty ER is ahead.

Saorsa
25-07-2011, 11:50 AM
I know, you complained about it the other day on a thread didn't you? Which is why I am surprised to see you still doing it on here. Surely we can do better than that, aren't we all on the same side really?You wouldnae think so :greengrin but you're right we are supposed tae be. My reply probably wisnae necessary (just thought I'd join in :wink: ) but then I dinnae think the OP was necessary because it was intended IMO as nothing other than a dig at other people who have decided enough is enough. The product on the park has been going downhill for years now while the prices have mainly gone in the other direction and lot of people have had enough and I dinnae blame them. This board have taken plenty credit for the off field stuff for years now, now they better put something on the field otherwise they might find they have very few punters left.

marinello59
25-07-2011, 12:05 PM
You wouldnae think so :greengrin but you're right we are supposed tae be. My reply probably wisnae necessary (just thought I'd join in :wink: ) but then I dinnae think the OP was necessary because it was intended IMO as nothing other than a dig at other people who have decided enough is enough. The product on the park has been going downhill for years now while the prices have mainly gone in the other direction and lot of people have had enough and I dinnae blame them. This board have taken plenty credit for the off field stuff for years now, now they better put something on the field otherwise they might find they have very few punters left.

They have until the end of the transfer window to play their hand. I would assume that every effort is being made to get the players in that Calderwood wants. Fingers crossed. :greengrin

Saorsa
25-07-2011, 12:15 PM
They have until the end of the transfer window to play their hand. I would assume that every effort is being made to get the players in that Calderwood wants. Fingers crossed. :greengrin:agree:

BoltonHibee
25-07-2011, 12:19 PM

if the board are in thier monday meeting and scratching their heads as to why there were only 9000 Hibbies there, then they need to take a close look at this thread. Whatever side of the argument you are on you have to admit our turnout was dire and the club are going to suffer in the long term if this keeps up. The fans have made their point, Hibs now have just over a month to show the ambition and drive a lot of people are looking for, or another hard season with an empty ER is ahead.

I'd love to see how they could scratch their heads, given that most of them have them firmly planted up their own *****!

sahib
25-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Poor crowd

1. Almost £30 or free on telly, at a time where incomes are falling in real terms for the first time since the war. Increasing transport, home energy and food costs have got to come from somewhere and for many people, leisure activities are going to be the first things to be hit. I would not assume all factors effecting the size of the crowd to be internal, so to speak, the real world plays it's part too.

DCI Gene Hunt
25-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Well, Gene Genie here is one of said "stayaway fans". Not through choice but through circumstance. Yes I would love to attend every game at ER in the season and cheer on my team. But the harsh fact is that living three hours up the A9 and working in a job that sees me all over the Highlands at random times doesn't leave me with the spare time to visit ER. Hence travel is also a problem. And also a significant cost. So the harsh fact is, whether Hibs are playing brilliantly or not I simply can't make it to the games. I do try and make it along to 2 or 3 in a season on the odd occasion I'm back in the capital but it's simply unworkable otherwise.

Also, 28 quid to watch a football game is a ****ing rip-off IMO. :no way:

Quite dismaying to see lots of petty infighting on the forum. What's the point?

To blame Hibs' woes on "stayaway fans" is risible keech of the pishest of most pish order.

Gene

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
25-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Its all really simple if you think about it.

The decision to go is a judgement - people weight up the pros and cons and decide - obviously some people's tipping point is higher or lower than others.
For me, it went like this:

Reasons not to go:
General Scottish football apathy, lack of competition, quality (not Hibs fault i know)
Sunday game
Kick-off time
P'd off with the way certain situations were handled (or not as the case might have been)
Cant be bothered with Old Firm games anymore (can anyone actually remember the last time there was a good one? Probably in Mixu's reign?)
No atmosphere, excitement or expectation
The East Stand - (I know it had to be done, but lets admit it - its rubbish, and the last vestige of 'old school', us against them atmosphere has gone - plus i think i am negatively associating it because i cant think of a single good game or atmosphere since it was built)
Lack of quality in team (there is no character or excitement)
The negative atmosphere in general - (i hate seeing fans squaring-up, shouting at each other and generally moaning - bad memories of being young and seeing two guys having a fight in terracing the day Dundee Utd relegated us)
Cost
Live on TV

Resons to go:
Its Hibs
First game of season
Habit
New signings (im not being sarcastic, at least Sproule has some character, and O'Connor should be quality again)

Unfortunately for Hibs, my tipping point has bee reached - however, the main things for me were not quality on park or even cost, but the early kick-offs. I will go to most games this season, but i have not renewed my ST for first time 10-15 years. Lack of quality i can cope with (god knows we have had to), but take away the atmosphere and excitement of being at a match, which IMO the powers that be have done, in the process ruining every single big-match spectacle that we had (and there werent many in the first place) has done for me - even the derbies are rubbish now.

Obviously these factors and others have different levels of importance for different lapsed or lapsing fans, im lucky that cost isnt really a big one for me at the moment. But it is a gradual combination of all of these factors weighing against the ever decreasing reasons to go. IMO, Hibs need to start addressing them one at a time, and also for me, need to start taking a lead on addressing some of the wider Scottish fitba problems - namely, letting all of our prestige games be ruined for the sake of money that seems to be making no difference because we are dreadful anyway.

LeithBoozy
25-07-2011, 01:22 PM
I was in the Behind The Goals bar, before and after the game. With a sausage roll and two pints of lager costing £8-60, Rod wont be too bothered about the odd 100,000.LOL. :wink:

Beefster
25-07-2011, 01:40 PM
To blame Hibs' woes on "stayaway fans" is risible keech of the pishest of most pish order.

Absolutely agree.

CabbageBoy
25-07-2011, 02:09 PM

Over to the board.....

What pleas are those? I quietly walked away from 23 years of unbroken ST ownership (through student days, unemployment, living outside Edinburgh and Scotland) with not a whisper from the club. They've shown no inclination to keep me, a point I'll no doubt make to Fife at some point when drinking with a mutual friend.

I previously made the point to him that the terracing used to be great because you could turn up and meet a group of friends that grew and shrank but stood in the same place (and later sat there), so why couldnt the East go back to being unreserved seating; the reply - it would reduce the capacity by 10%. So for these fictional games where its a 22,000 sell-out, we sell another bit of the atmosphere and tradition, and opportunity to get folk back.

The footballs been poor for years (most of my 25 plus as a regular), but at least the atmosphere and banter made it worth it. Not so any more; as the Board would have it, the value proposition just doesnt cut it.

Ernie Cobra
25-07-2011, 02:28 PM
They have until the end of the transfer window to play their hand. I would assume that every effort is being made to get the players in that Calderwood wants. Fingers crossed. :greengrin

why are we collectively tip toeing around the fact that we are being treated like mugs? In my opinion it is no longer acceptable to say come out with the tired old lines....

* We have until the end of the transfer window - no we dont!
* We have it right off the pitch - no we dont!
* Time to get behind the manager and the board - no it is not
* If we stay away we are damaging the club / team - If we attend i believe it would have a worse affect

Q) Do the admins of this site have any connection to Hibs, the board or shareholders? If not, why are you constantly shooting down the opinions of people who are pished off?

Q) Does it make you more of a Hibs fan to come out with the get behind the club?

Q) Do you think Rod Petrie gives a toss that we are expected to pay £28 to watch utter dross?

Q) How many English/Spannish/Itallian Premier League clubs could you go to watch for £28?

Q) Does the entrance fee we charge mirror the output of quality or ambition served by the clubs from the point above?

Q) If we were a normal functioning business delivering terrible results, wehn would we have closed our doors and ceased trading?

The Falcon
25-07-2011, 02:32 PM

I heard you the first time!:greengrin

I do believe its an over simplification to blame Petrie. If its him then the downward spiral will continue and no improvement will be made. If its not then we will show some recovery. Time will tell.

marinello59
25-07-2011, 02:32 PM
why are we collectively tip toeing around the fact that we are being treated like mugs? In my opinion it is no longer acceptable to say come out with the tired old lines....

* We have until the end of the transfer window - no we dont!
* We have it right off the pitch - no we dont!
* Time to get behind the manager and the board - no it is not
* If we stay away we are damaging the club / team - If we attend i believe it would have a worse affect

Q) Do the admins of this site have any connection to Hibs, the board or shareholders? If not, why are you constantly shooting down the opinions of people who are pished off?

Q) Does it make you more of a Hibs fan to come out with the get behind the club?

Q) Do you think Rod Petrie gives a toss that we are expected to pay £28 to watch utter dross?

Q) How many English/Spannish/Itallian Premier League clubs could you go to watch for £28?

Q) Does the entrance fee we charge mirror the output of quality or ambition served by the clubs from the point above?

Q) If we were a normal functioning business delivering terrible results, wehn would we have closed our doors and ceased trading?

No. It's fans running a fans website.
Are the rest of the questions for Admins only or are they open to all.

sesoim
25-07-2011, 02:36 PM

Calderwood cost us almost that much by bringing on Dickoh at halftime against Aberdeen and turning a 1-0 win into a 3-1 shambles. Then there were the games gainst Ayr.....I could go on. The club is losing money everywhere at the moment.

I'd blame Calderwood and especially Petrie for the mess we are in now, not the fans. When we have decent guys in charge who can get us back into the top four like we should be, the stayaway fans will start spending their money again that is currently mounting up in their piggy banks.

Even if we WERE getting 14000 average crowds again like we were under Mowbray, I doubt we'd have a decent team just now. Petrie would still have lumbered us with a crap manager.

Sergey
25-07-2011, 02:40 PM
Hehe....That Calderwood wants..Dear oh dear..I'm out of town. Watched most of the game on telly ..Didn't see much wrong with their offside goal,penalty would normally have gone in ..0-4 going on a lot more and I can't be certain but I don't think we had a corner in the game .. Did their goalie have to make a save??

I didn't see the match, but according to the BBC stats:

Shots on target - 0
Shots off target - 0
Corners - 0

Those stats will have punter flocking back when the likes of Inverness and Kilmarnock are in town :fibber:

Aldo
25-07-2011, 02:45 PM
Havent read all the posts but agree with alot.

Money is tight these days and TBH I can see us struggling to break the 10,000 mark against teams outwith the OF and the Yams.

The club is in a bit of free fall at the moment and for me it comes from all the uncertainty of the CC situation. We are clearly a good 3 or 4 players short for the 1st team and desperately need another CF in for next week. Can see us sitting with no points after 3 games and then when does Rod step in and say enough is enough???

Thats 6 on the bounce we have lost and not scored many in that time (I do realise 5 were last season but dont care..still 6 on the bounce).

I agree that we need more through the gates and more through the gates potentially means more for the squad. You cannot tell me that
we can only afford 3 players ( and no transfer fees required) this season after losing almost a whole team.

FOlk on here better get prepared for a good old fight this season cos (and dont want to be a doom and gloomer) we are heading for another blobby era IMHO.

TheEastTerrace
25-07-2011, 02:56 PM
What pleas are those? I quietly walked away from 23 years of unbroken ST ownership (through student days, unemployment, living outside Edinburgh and Scotland) with not a whisper from the club. They've shown no inclination to keep me, a point I'll no doubt make to Fife at some point when drinking with a mutual friend.

I previously made the point to him that the terracing used to be great because you could turn up and meet a group of friends that grew and shrank but stood in the same place (and later sat there), so why couldnt the East go back to being unreserved seating; the reply - it would reduce the capacity by 10%. So for these fictional games where its a 22,000 sell-out, we sell another bit of the atmosphere and tradition, and opportunity to get folk back.

The footballs been poor for years (most of my 25 plus as a regular), but at least the atmosphere and banter made it worth it. Not so any more; as the Board would have it, the value proposition just doesnt cut it.

Therein lies another issue I guess, seems the promotional messages are not getting accross to supporters, as you have outlined.

When the season tickets were announced towards the end of last season, Calderwood was 'quoted' as part of the website's promotional spiel in urging Hibs' fans to commit to the club and buy advance season tickets to help him invest to strengthen the squad; fair enough. However, it almost went as far to say that the club only wanted supporters who were willing to put money where their mouth was via a season ticket, at least that's how I read it anyways, which I thought was a fairly dangerous ploy given the apathy amongst the support and the current economic times. Perhaps they have reaped what they have sown; that the 'hardcore' 7000 or so are the only ones willing to part with their cash at the moment.

I thoroughly agree with the rest of your post, nae banter at the football,.

Darth Hibbie
25-07-2011, 03:07 PM

* We have until the end of the transfer window - no we dont! Of course we do would be better to get folk in asap but there is still over a month to go
* We have it right off the pitch - no we dont! It will never be perfect, how could it be improved?
* Time to get behind the manager and the board - no it is not Its always time to get behind the manager and support the team. As for the board I neither support them or not, they are just the board. If they go who replaces them?
* If we stay away we are damaging the club / team - If we attend i believe it would have a worse affect By attending and cheering your team on how would you make it worse? Staying away however is your choice

Not an admin so I will leave this one for them to answer.

Nope I would say it was mor important to get behind the team thats on the park.

I doubt that he does would any other chairmen? Thats the cost regardless of the performance.

Don't care not interested in watching them.

The entrance fee is what it is some games will be better value than others, nature of the game.

When we were making huge losses, which we are not

If folk choose not to go to the games that is up to them and I have no problem with that. I support Hibs and always will do. As long as I can afford it I will go along and give my support to the team that is on the park. That does not mean I give my full backing or support to those running the club. If I felt strongly enough about them then I would find a way to make my voice heard but my support for the team would not change.

At the moment there seems to be a bit of a stand off between a section of the support and the board.

"Buy tickets and we will invest in the team" and "invest in the team and we will buy tickets"

​To my mind its not healthy and ultimately I think its got to come down to the board to have the faith that the fans will return if they can improve the team.

Dashing Bob S
25-07-2011, 03:13 PM
There seems to be a belief amongst some people that if you follow Hibs, in order to call yourself a true fan, you have to go along to every single home game, irrespective of the product on the park.

Heaven help those frivolous charlatans who have the audacity to want to watch decent football on a Saturday afternoon, or those who prefer to spend Sunday on family or other activities.

I used to regard myself as fairly uber in the fan stakes, but I didn't go on Sunday. I went to fewer games last season than I've done in many seasons. Unless the board/management show some ambition (and I'm talking modest SPL level ambition here, ie: competing with Hearts, Dundee United, Motherwell etc for the right to get pumped over two games in Europe by some postmen and appear in the odd semi or final of a diddy cup or two, which doesn't seem an outrageous aspiration for a city club in a small country) I can't see myself rushing back for anything other than the derbies or the odd big game the season will throw up (struggling to think where one of these might come from right now).

Hibs are football club you support. Whether they are your whole life, or you merely love them, or just like them a lot, or are only your preference to support, they aren't, or shouldn't be a sick relative that you feel obligated to visit. if I want to feel virtuous, superiour or dutiful, that's how i'll spend Saturday - sadly, it would probably be more fun than Easter Road these days.

Aldo
25-07-2011, 03:21 PM
I went and watched the team home and away for years and thats when we were really poor......I still support the club however if I have the option of spending time with the kids or go to ER then I see no excuse for watching that keek and wont spend any more until they improve...I say that as i about to spend a packet in the club shop before I go my hols.

I do agree that I sometimes go for the banter even though I know the footie is pish and have a great time catching up with folk. Is that enough to get me through to Leith these days...I wish I could say yes.

We have the stadium and the facilities that go with it...no its time to invest a wee bit back. I do realise this wont happen but we need something cos we are taking a step back every day and soon there will be less than 8,000 at home games and the stadium will be like a ghost town.

hard times ahead me thinks. :(

O and if anyone on here thought that we couldnt be relegated this season just take a look at sunday...no shots, no goals nuff said

teams will fight against us cos they know that they can get to us...we need to hope we get a bit of luck and start scoring and winning??

new malkyhib
25-07-2011, 03:24 PM

I thought "trolling" got you barred or warned on this site? Or does that not apply to you?

Groathillgrump
25-07-2011, 03:24 PM

:top marks

I couldn't have put it better myself and if Mikey and the Board (are they beginning to morph into the same creature?) think his emotive post is going to make stayaway fans on here reconsider then they've misjudged the mood of a large section of the support.

And before anybody asks, yes I renewed my ST this year as I have done for the past 20 years but I know several long term ST holders who've just walked away because the football on display has been dire for too long. Also, there is the lingering suspicion that we have a manager who would rather be elsewhere. What kind of message is that sending out to the fans?

Mickey Edwards
25-07-2011, 03:27 PM
There seems to be a belief amongst some people that if you follow Hibs, in order to call yourself a true fan, you have to go along to every single home game, irrespective of the product on the park.

Heaven help those frivolous charlatans who have the audacity to want to watch decent football on a Saturday afternoon, or those who prefer to spend Sunday on family or other activities.

I used to regard myself as fairly uber in the fan stakes, but I didn't go on Sunday. I went to fewer games last season than I've done in many seasons. Unless the board/management show some ambition (and I'm talking modest SPL level ambition here, ie: competing with Hearts, Dundee United, Motherwell etc for the right to get pumped over two games in Europe by some postmen and appear in the odd semi or final of a diddy cup or two, which doesn't seem an outrageous aspiration for a city club in a small country) I can't see myself rushing back for anything other than the derbies or the odd big game the season will throw up (struggling to think where one of these might come from right now).

Hibs are football club you support. Whether they are your whole life, or you merely love them, or just like them a lot, or are only your preference to support, they aren't, or shouldn't be a sick relative that you feel obligated to visit. if I want to feel virtuous, superiour or dutiful, that's how i'll spend Saturday - sadly, it would probably be more fun than Easter Road these days.

A very accurate reflection of the feeling of a large chunk of the absentees

Massive gamble by the board in keeping CC.....which player is going to sign with the potential to sit in the stand when CC's replacement doesn't "fancy" them ?.......not comfortable with anyone playing fast & loose with my club.

chorley_fm
25-07-2011, 03:46 PM

I think you're trolling Mikey,

We could have had a full house yesterday and the result would still have been the same.

The football at Hibs is rank rotten and has been for a couple of seasons now. You know this. Fans faith in Petrie and the board has dropped considerably in the last couple of years. You know this. The fans have no faith in the current management. You know this too.

To blame the stay away fans is laughable

one day maybe...
25-07-2011, 03:51 PM
The Hibs games I attend each season become less and less. Various factors contribute to this but the apathy I have for Scottish football has grown more and more over the years. Sky's TV deal with Scottish football is set up to benefit two teams in the SPl, as is Setanta's. This money goes a long way to making the divide ever bigger. What I don't get is why should they get more cash than the rest of us? Now I subscribe to SKY SPORTS regardless of who is playing, always have because I like all sports, it is obviously not to watch Hibs games as we are very seldom on. Now my point is are SKY trying to tell us that their subcriptions to SKY Sports will fall if the ugly sisters are not on every week? Hardly! The weegies will still subcribe as will most other current subcribers, so this for me is a weak excuse they throw at us for justifying their actions. The SPL then come into play by endorsing the fact that all teams are not equal and all you other wee diddy teams will get a sip from the cup when the mighty two have filled their bellies and wasted millions on useless foreign talent, millions that could have gone into the infastructures of other SPL teams. Until the TV money is split equally the rest of us will always be playing catch up, thats if we can ever catch them anyway.
A fed up Hibee, but I could just as well be a fed up Dons fan, Dundee Utd fan, Hamilton fan in fact any fan that is not associated to the ugly sisters.
Rant over, and Breathe........................

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-07-2011, 03:55 PM
A very accurate reflection of the feeling of a large chunk of the absentees Very much so, I never thought about 20 years ago I would ever say this, but, going to watch Hibs has been a surprisingly easy habit to break.Still looking forward to the next couple of days though.

HFC 0-7
25-07-2011, 04:26 PM
I was in the Behind The Goals bar, before and after the game. With a sausage roll and two pints of lager costing £8-60, Rod wont be too bothered about the odd 100,000.LOL. :wink:

Be careful in there, I went up for a pint of coke, the guy behind the bar said he didnt know how to work the till and then tried to charge me about 3.30 for a pint of coke. I said 'dont think so' he had to go and get another memeber of staff to show how to work the till and I was then charged 2.20.

DCI Gene Hunt
25-07-2011, 04:33 PM
The way Gene sees it is that the problem(s) lies in the dugout, on the pitch and in the boardroom.

Don't like being negative but there are fundamental serious issues that haven't been addressed over the past three seasons.

-Lack of inspiration/direction from boardroom. Yes Tache and Co are very good at keeping the club financially in good shape and we should be grateful for that. That said, over the past three seasons we have not seeing full investment in the team. Tache remains tight as a badger's chuff in this respect. Mainly uninspiring signings for both team and coaching staff that have not solved on-the-park problems. Hibs should be attracting/signing players and managers of much better quality than of current. The board doesn't seem to be offering us any direction or ambition in where we want to take the club in football terms. Yes we have the nice stadium and training facilities. Now let's build a plan for the team. Where do we want to be? Aiming for 3rd in league? Aiming to split the Ugly Sisters? Aiming for top 6? Or just aiming to meander along as current and hope for the best? Not much footballing inspiration coming from the board.

-Uninspirational coaching staff. Telling Hibs fans before the first baw of the season has been kicked to "Have realistic expectations" is totally uninspirational, directionless and unambitious. As a fan I actually find it mildly offensive. I want the manager of my team to have an up-and-at-'em attitude of "let's do our best" which filters down to the players. Instead we have been offered no optimism or ambition for the season ahead. How depressing and offputting. Three seasons and three managers have not solved basic issues of poor play and bad, predictable tactics. Have we had a good, positive, tactical manager since JC?

-Uninspirational players in the team. A problem that has persisted since the days of Mixu has been poor signings. Doesn't apply to all players but a good number of them. Sort of comes down to the board again not loosening off the purse strings. Same problems over three seasons; pish-poor passing, wet paper bag of a defence, no beef in the midfield and hardly any up-front presence. Three managers and three seasons have STILL not fixed these fundamental meat-and-potatoes issues. It's the basics of football! What was it Yogi said? "Fitba' folk ken whit's goan oan". Yes we do. But it seems you didn't...

It hurts to rip pieces out of my team but it's the truth... over three seasons we seem to have gotten nowhere, in fact we have gotten worse. What will it take for the board and management at Hibs to wake up to the shockingly obvious problems?

Golden Bear
25-07-2011, 04:51 PM
The way Gene sees it is that the problem(s) lies in the dugout, on the pitch and in the boardroom.

Don't like being negative but there are fundamental serious issues that haven't been addressed over the past three seasons.

-Lack of inspiration/direction from boardroom. Yes Tache and Co are very good at keeping the club financially in good shape and we should be grateful for that. That said, over the past three seasons we have not seeing full investment in the team. Tache remains tight as a badger's chuff in this respect. Mainly uninspiring signings for both team and coaching staff that have not solved on-the-park problems. Hibs should be attracting/signing players and managers of much better quality than of current. The board doesn't seem to be offering us any direction or ambition in where we want to take the club in football terms. Yes we have the nice stadium and training facilities. Now let's build a plan for the team. Where do we want to be? Aiming for 3rd in league? Aiming to split the Ugly Sisters? Aiming for top 6? Or just aiming to meander along as current and hope for the best? Not much footballing inspiration coming from the board.

-Uninspirational coaching staff. Telling Hibs fans before the first baw of the season has been kicked to "Have realistic expectations" is totally uninspirational, directionless and unambitious. As a fan I actually find it mildly offensive. I want the manager of my team to have an up-and-at-'em attitude of "let's do our best" which filters down to the players. Instead we have been offered no optimism or ambition for the season ahead. How depressing and offputting. Three seasons and three managers have not solved basic issues of poor play and bad, predictable tactics. Have we had a good, positive, tactical manager since JC?

-Uninspirational players in the team. A problem that has persisted since the days of Mixu has been poor signings. Doesn't apply to all players but a good number of them. Sort of comes down to the board again not loosening off the purse strings. Same problems over three seasons; pish-poor passing, wet paper bag of a defence, no beef in the midfield and hardly any up-front presence. Three managers and three seasons have STILL not fixed these fundamental meat-and-potatoes issues. It's the basics of football! What was it Yogi said? "Fitba' folk ken whit's goan oan". Yes we do. But it seems you didn't...

It hurts to rip pieces out of my team but it's the truth... over three seasons we seem to have gotten nowhere, in fact we have gotten worse. What will it take for the board and management at Hibs to wake up to the shockingly obvious problems?

It's hard to disagree with any of that.

H113EE5
25-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Exactly. Succinct, appropriate and 100% accurate. I've renewed my season ticket through habit and because I like the wee banter before the game in the 4-in-hand, only to be spoiled with the dross at the game. It's not fun being a Hibbie over the past few years

Ernie Cobra
25-07-2011, 05:16 PM
If folk choose not to go to the games that is up to them and I have no problem with that. I support Hibs and always will do. As long as I can afford it I will go along and give my support to the team that is on the park. That does not mean I give my full backing or support to those running the club. If I felt strongly enough about them then I would find a way to make my voice heard but my support for the team would not change.

At the moment there seems to be a bit of a stand off between a section of the support and the board.

"Buy tickets and we will invest in the team" and "invest in the team and we will buy tickets"

​To my mind its not healthy and ultimately I think its got to come down to the board to have the faith that the fans will return if they can improve the team.

Thanks for being objective, obviously we differ on our views but it is refreshing for a change not to have someone railroad a point through with no thought becuase your opinions vary. Your assessment of the situation is bang on with the Buy tickets and we will invest in the team, no **** off invest in the team and we wil lbuy tickets. As fans though we have been there before, infact every season we are plagued with mediocrity on the playing side due to the distinct lack of abition of the board, where do we go from here? Nato? UN? Frankie vaughan? We are again at a stalemate, and until Petrie is removed from his position, it is my opinion that we are the wife in an abusive relationship.......IT WILL BE DIFFERENT NEXT TIME.......Ill thought it was only the weegies thta gave thier Mrs a slap over the fitba too

Captain Trips
25-07-2011, 05:37 PM
It is clear that like me a lot of other people on here are laying blame for the current situation at the door of Rod Petrie and rightly so. Is it time to other than vent our frustration on here perhaps start a thread to see whom will give him a vote of no confidence and then if it is large enough print and send or email?

Something has got to be done the club is getting ruined.

Baldy Foghorn
25-07-2011, 05:40 PM
It is clear that like me a lot of other people on here are laying blame for the current situation at the door of Rod Petrie and rightly so. Is it time to other than vent our frustration on here perhaps start a thread to see whom will give him a vote of no confidence and then if it is large enough print and send or email?

Something has got to be done the club is getting ruined.

Club being stifled / suffocated

H18Y GW
25-07-2011, 05:53 PM
Just a thought!!

If no one bought a season ticket there would be more money through the gate every other week as walk up fans pay more and we don't really lay out much early season now.

Your thoughts lol

DCI Gene Hunt
25-07-2011, 06:15 PM
I am not convinced that making Tachie leave will make things better. He is the man with the purse strings and has got the club (and the business of HFC) in rude health which is good. Look at Hertz. Alright they're doing well as a footballing side at the moment (unfortunately) but in a business sense things aren't working. :titanic:

I just think that Da Tache needs to be less stingy with the spondoolies, and if he had as much ambition for Hibs' football as Hibs' business (which is a good thing) then things would be much better.

I think he should stay, but understand that now the business is in good shape we've got to get the team to the same standard. And yes it will take work and money...

Gene

macca70
25-07-2011, 06:16 PM
Maybe the Thread title should be changed, as it would seem the majority are agreed:

The Board/Manager cost our club £100,000 today

Baldy Foghorn
25-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Maybe the Thread title should be changed, as it would seem the majority are agreed:

Ernie Cobra
25-07-2011, 06:24 PM

that wouldn't be condusive to hibs.nets constant pandering and snivelling to the powers that be at team HQ.

How many of the admins think that Petrie should get the heave ho? Not picking on you guys, (although i do feel that the forum is something that at times would intimidate pol pot) of because i know you dont get paid for doing this, and is probably for the most a thankless task. Just want to see what the general consensus is with you, and i suppose im interested to see if you think there should be a change, we all have opinions, right?

snooky
25-07-2011, 06:32 PM
Seems like we've been duped by "the carrot at the end of a stick" trick for quite some time now.
Alas, my hibby legs have almost gone and I can't and, don't want to, run for ever.

WhileTheChief..
25-07-2011, 06:35 PM
It's not really a case of how much money but what we spend it on. We have increased the playing staff budget every year for 6 years but seem to be getting worse. Could it be that we are investing too much in the youth system for the returns it brings?

I know that youth is the way forward but i think if we were brutally honest we would have to admit that the younger ones just aren't good enough for the first team on a regular basis (i know there are occassional exceptions). Wotherspoon, Hanlon, Galbraith, Stevenson etc should be on the bench at best but he have them as the mainstay of our team.

We have been woefully understrength for years yet if you do actually talk to the club they think that the squad is good enough. This is what I can't understand as everyone else thinks we are half a team short of being where we want to be.

I don't think it's fair to say that the board lack ambition though. The new stand and East Mains are surely showing ambition, maybe not for right now but certainly for the next 50+ years. They have also stated where they want Hibs to be each year - near the top of the league and decent cup runs. The problem is that they don't know how to get us there.

marinello59
25-07-2011, 06:42 PM
[/B]that wouldn't be condusive to hibs.nets constant pandering and snivelling to the powers that be at team HQ.

How many of the admins think that Petrie should get the heave ho? Not picking on you guys, (although i do feel that the forum is something that at times would intimidate pol pot) of because i know you dont get paid for doing this, and is probably for the most a thankless task. Just want to see what the general consensus is with you, and i suppose im interested to see if you think there should be a change, we all have opinions, right?

I am glad you are not picking on the Admin team. That would be quite a read.:greengrin

Anything posted by an admin is their personal opinion. Just read through the threads of you want to know mine. (I have to warn you some of it is complete and utter pish and the rest are even worse.)
For the avoidance of doubt we are proud of the fact that we are totally independent of the club and that there is no official editorial line here. What each individual Admin thinks carries no more authority than anybody else. All we do is help to provide a platform for opinions to be aired. Like yours.

ancient hibee
25-07-2011, 06:47 PM
The Hibs games I attend each season become less and less. Various factors contribute to this but the apathy I have for Scottish football has grown more and more over the years. Sky's TV deal with Scottish football is set up to benefit two teams in the SPl, as is Setanta's. This money goes a long way to making the divide ever bigger. What I don't get is why should they get more cash than the rest of us? Now I subscribe to SKY SPORTS regardless of who is playing, always have because I like all sports, it is obviously not to watch Hibs games as we are very seldom on. Now my point is are SKY trying to tell us that their subcriptions to SKY Sports will fall if the ugly sisters are not on every week? Hardly! The weegies will still subcribe as will most other current subcribers, so this for me is a weak excuse they throw at us for justifying their actions. The SPL then come into play by endorsing the fact that all teams are not equal and all you other wee diddy teams will get a sip from the cup when the mighty two have filled their bellies and wasted millions on useless foreign talent, millions that could have gone into the infastructures of other SPL teams. Until the TV money is split equally the rest of us will always be playing catch up, thats if we can ever catch them anyway.
A fed up Hibee, but I could just as well be a fed up Dons fan, Dundee Utd fan, Hamilton fan in fact any fan that is not associated to the ugly sisters.
Rant over, and Breathe........................

How many times does it have to be said that if you finish above either of the Old Firm as Hearts did you get a bigger share of the TVmoney.48% is split equally between the 12 teams and 52% is allocated to league finishing position on a sliding scale.

The_Todd
25-07-2011, 06:49 PM
How many times does it have to be said that if you finish above eother of the Old Firm as Hearts did you get a bigger share of the TVmoney.

It doesn't take away from the fact that the current TV money split is designed to make the rich richer and the poor poorer.

Ernie Cobra
25-07-2011, 06:51 PM
]I am glad you are not picking on the Admin team. That would be quite a read[/B].:greengrin

Anything posted by an admin is their personal opinion. Just read through the threads of you want to know mine. (I have to warn you some of it is complete and utter pish and the rest are even worse.)
For the avoidance of doubt we are proud of the fact that we are totally independent of the club and that there is no official editorial line here. What each individual Admin thinks carries no more authority than anybody else. All we do is help to provide a platform for opinions to be aired. Like yours.

From what ive seen i wouldnt last long anyway before i found myself in a freezing cold shower, before getting the jaggy jumper and thrown in my very own "contemplation room":wink:

So did that mean that you were for Petrie Opening up a Subway Franchise or staying in his office on his throne made of all the "previous incumbants skulls"?

stevej
25-07-2011, 06:57 PM
Duncan Mckenzie once asked Brian Clough for a pair of complimentary tickets for his mum and dad

Clough replied "Rule number one young man - if your own parents wont pay to come and watch you play - who the bloody hell will ?"

In the same way:

If your own manager doesnt even want to be there what chance do you really have ?

Think your chairman should have took the compensation being offered - this could end up costing your club far more the way it is going

Jonnyboy
25-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Lots of excellent views put across very well in this thread. It's clearly a subject that prompts such debate :agree:

It occurs to me that we could have the best stadium in the world, the best board in the world and the best manager in the world but if the football on the park is as bad as it's been then we'll never fill that stadium, the board will be looking elsewhere for the money to run the club and the manager will be sat in the corner wi' a bag o' sweets.

weecounty hibby
25-07-2011, 07:07 PM
I had the chance to take my son to the game, free ST tickets of a pal who is on holiday. ST on holiday, sound familiar at this time of year?

I aked my son if he wanted to go to see Hibs or attend his rugby session that us being held every fortnight during the summer holidays, without batting an eye he said rugby! So we went to the rugby, had a great 4 hours in the sun and it cost us squat!

So where am I going with this, well 12.30 on a Sunday in the middle of holiday season is a joke. £28 another joke, yes yes I had a freebie but you see what I mean. Live on tv which a lot of folk have already paid for. Team struggling, club struggling. General apathy from where I sit as to all things Hibs at the moment. Hibs really need to realise that it is an entertainment industry and as much as we all love Hibs the time will come when people say enough is enough.

For the cost of me and my son at a cat A game I can take the whole family ten pin bowling with drinks and food and GAURANTEE that we all have a good time. Not a bowler but it is a good example.

Hibs really need to sit up and smell the coffee. The days of handing over hard earned and ill afforded money to a football team are gone. They need to earn our money again.

Keith_M
25-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Mikey, you've gone past the stage of boring and are now getting quite irritating with this.

As you well know, and people have pointed out to you, there are two sides to every story. The product on the park has mostly been p*ss poor for the better part of three years. There's been a big clearout and those emptied have not been properly replaced. The manager is only committed to this club "for the moment" (his words in quotes) and has shown little to inspire confidence in his managerial qualities so far.

Or do you just get off on slagging other Hibs supporters?

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Theres a very good article on p12 of The Evening News Final Whistle pullout which echoes a lot of the views on this thread, well worth a read.

ArabHibee
25-07-2011, 07:40 PM
Who do you think you are?

:singing:Some Kind of Superstar?:singing:

(sorry, you're quote reminded of the song) :greengrin

My mate, another ex-long term season ticket holder, started doing a suduko puzzle in the middle of a game last year.

I find texting folk during the game is quite therapeutic, takes your mind off the dross on the pitch. :tee hee:

Beefster
25-07-2011, 07:41 PM
Duncan Mckenzie once asked Brian Clough for a pair of complimentary tickets for his mum and dad

Clough replied "Rule number one young man - if your own parents wont pay to come and watch you play - who the bloody hell will ?"

In the same way:

If your own manager doesnt even want to be there what chance do you really have ?

Think your chairman should have took the compensation being offered - this could end up costing your club far more the way it is going

I think your chairman should offer more compensation.

Mikey
25-07-2011, 07:48 PM

[/B]that wouldn't be condusive to hibs.nets constant pandering and snivelling to the powers that be at team HQ.

What the members of the admin team think is irrelevant. There are 11 other admins apart from me and they have their own opinions. Tarring them with the same brush as me isn't fair :greengrin

So let's not go there :wink:

Lots of excellent views put across very well in this thread. It's clearly a subject that prompts such debate :agree:

Spot on.

HNA6
25-07-2011, 08:01 PM

How many of the admins think that Petrie should get the heave ho? Not picking on you guys, (although i do feel that the forum is something that at times would intimidate pol pot) of because i know you dont get paid for doing this, and is probably for the most a thankless task. Just want to see what the general consensus is with you, and i suppose im interested to see if you think there should be a change, we all have opinions, right?Ive got 20,000 odd posts as happyhibbie..please feel free to pick your way through them to find my views on Petrie et-al ..

Beefster
25-07-2011, 08:08 PM
I tried to sell Mrs Beefster on ebay last week but no dice. I blame the ebay users for costing me £4.50 (less postage and packing).

Ernie Cobra
25-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Nobodys tarring the rest of the admins with the same brush as you mikey, quite frankly i think the audacity you displayed when you posted your fairly frank opinions on the rest of the Hibernian Support puts you in your own class of Uber fan. I'll ask you straight then as your opinion is obviously the one that has rattled mine and several other cages.

Do you think still your original post is correct, and if sowhy do you feel such a need to display such yamlike qualities as blind faith and lemminglike tendancies when our club is spiraling out of control?

Darth Hibbie
25-07-2011, 08:15 PM
Do you think still your original post is correct, and if sowhy do you feel such a need to display such yamlike qualities as blind faith and lemminglike tendancies when our club is spiraling out of control?

Is that not a bit over dramatic? Things are not great but we are only 90 mins into the new season. :dunno:

DaveF
25-07-2011, 08:26 PM

I don't agree with the OP at all but your line here is way over the top :greengrin

degenerated
25-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Nobodys tarring the rest of the admins with the same brush as you mikey, quite frankly i think the audacity you displayed when you posted your fairly frank opinions on the rest of the Hibernian Support puts you in your own class of Uber fan. I'll ask you straight then as your opinion is obviously the one that has rattled mine and several other cages.

I've never read such utter tosh in all my days, club spiralling out of control...pah. thank **** the internet wasn't about in the early to mid 80's when we genuinely were utter garbage.

it can't be argued that we aren't anywhere near to being a good side and will struggle to achieve mediocrity without a good few signings but some of the nonsense i've read on here of late beggars belief.

fyi, i am no club lackie and can see that there are issues that need addressing but neither can i be ersed with the me,me,me attention seeking melodramatic rubbish that seems to have taken over this forum.

Aldo
25-07-2011, 08:47 PM
I've never read such utter tosh in all my days, club spiralling out of control...pah. thank **** the internet wasn't about in the early to mid 80's when we genuinely were utter garbage.
it can't be argued that we aren't anywhere near to being a good side and will struggle to achieve mediocrity without a good few signings but some of the nonsense i've read on here of late beggars belief.

fyi, i am no club lackie and can see that there are issues that need addressing but neither can i be ersed with the me,me,me attention seeking melodramatic rubbish that seems to have taken over this forum.

bit in bold :agree:

Mid to late mate. Home and away since 1982 till 1990 and TBH most of those weeks we werent great. Still went though.

If the internet was up and running then, then this place would need the samaritans.

We were bad though????

Sergey
25-07-2011, 08:53 PM
I've never read such utter tosh in all my days

You used to troll Kickback :greengrin

That reminds me...

DH1875
25-07-2011, 09:03 PM
bit in bold :agree:

Mid to late mate. Home and away since 1982 till 1990 and TBH most of those weeks we werent great. Still went though.

If the internet was up and running then, then this place would need the samaritans.

We were bad though????

Aye but it wisnae £28 a ticket with stupid o'clock kick-offs. You could have a drink, a fag and a good day out with your mates. There was also the chance of a good punch up to get rid of any built up frustration if you were into that kinda thing. It's a different game from them days and I'm not just talking on the pitch.

Pedantic_Hibee
25-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Aye but it wisnae £28 a ticket with stupid o'clock kick-offs. You could have a drink, a fag and a good day out with your mates. There was also the chance of a good punch up to get rid of any built up frustration if you were into that kinda thing. It's a different game from them days and I'm not just talking on the pitch.

Ah, the sepia-tinged nostalgia of yesteryear.

I personally miss coming home from a game as a youngster and my old dear washing my trainers as they were stinking of the pish aimed on them by bevvied old men in the gents. Whae needs a toilet to aim yer Colin Nish, we had a whole wall :greengrin

edwards
25-07-2011, 09:29 PM

You got that spot on as this must be one of the worst pre seasons I have witnessed as a hibs fan, both Petrie and Calderwood must hold their hands up for the dreadful turn out at ER yesterday.
We all thought that after such a dismal season last year were we escaped relegation that most of the team who were atrocious were shown the door that there would be a big influx of players on their way in.
If Petrie should have to sack Calderwood further down the line I feel Petrie should switch the lights off and close the door behind him on the way out.

scoopyboy
25-07-2011, 09:43 PM
You got that spot on as this must be one of the worst pre seasons I have witnessed as a hibs fan, both Petrie and Calderwood must hold their hands up for the dreadful turn out at ER yesterday.
We all thought that after such a dismal season last year were we escaped relegation that most of the team who were atrocious were shown the door that there would be a big influx of players on their way in.
If Petrie should have to sack Calderwood further down the line I feel Petrie should switch the lights off and close the door behind him on the way out.

I also thought the July 24th date had a lot to do with the poor turn out.

There must have been a dozen missing on our bus that go irrespective of how badly were doing.

down-the-slope
25-07-2011, 10:07 PM

:agree: and sadly the bit in bold all too often :greengrin

down-the-slope
25-07-2011, 10:16 PM

So is that the support...thats not eh Supporting :rolleyes:

Speedy
25-07-2011, 10:45 PM
I never went because it is expensive, I don't enjoy watching Hibs perform poorly and lose and I certainly don't want to spend almost £30 on something I don't enjoy.

If that isn't reasonable justification for not going then fair enough.

Ernie Cobra
25-07-2011, 11:14 PM

I dont think there is even a hint of me me me with my contribution to this discussion, i have an opinion, much like the OP. I dont agree with his post, i feel the club is in dissaray, i think the supporters are taken for granted time after time, and i would like change from within the club to resolve this. Is that clear enough or have i failed to mention anything in my summary which i have previously posted? I feel th OP's passion but i am questioning the reasoning, i am also not the first person to question why anything taking the club/board to task is ridiculed on here, or merely shrugged off as some yam at the windup.

Also until there is any form of action taken, internet forums is where disussion will take place, so where do we go from here, shut down .net until we invest in the team, or just ignore the issue and hope that the big laddies give us our ball back?

MrSmith
25-07-2011, 11:47 PM
Y'know I cannae quite work out what the difference is between supporting Hibs in the 80's and now?? However, I do recall watching Dougie Cromb in an interview after Alex Miller left were he was almost in tears and really upset at the Hibs fans who he blamed for driving AM out of ER.

Got me thinking... Dougie showed masses of passion, commitment and loyalty to a manger we all hated and we showed unwavering support to our team! Why? What was the difference back then compared to now?

Try to analyze this but the only thing I can come up with is that we had a team of players who played their hearts out for us, not great but completely acceptable to us.

I don't know if Dougie Cromb is still about but he did give a ***** about the team on the park and also loved his football - is this what we are missing in a chairman? And would, someone of DC's knowledge, love of the game; presence and stature bring us back together?

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-07-2011, 04:40 AM
The bit in the previous post re the players is very significant, I was there week in, week out in the Cromb days and whilst I very much doubt any of the current players don't try it has very much become a them and us type thing instead of just US as a whole as in previous years. We've witnessed worse teams over the last 30 odd years, but, cant remember the fans perceptions of the players effort ever being lower. Along with many other factors previously stated on here it really is turning in to The Perfect Storm, its not pleasant to see!

calumb
26-07-2011, 06:23 AM
At least in the 80's we got some entertainment out of being able to stand on the terracing, even if the match
was rubbish there was always some craic going on.

The place was always packed when old firm/hearts turned up and women/young children were generally too scared to go.
Even when we played the likes of Hamilton and only 6000 people turned up it still felt busy as everyone instinctively bunched
together, not like now where the nearest person might be 50 feet away and asleep.

khib70
26-07-2011, 08:07 AM
So is that the support...thats not eh Supporting :rolleyes:

Bad Martini
26-07-2011, 09:14 PM
In other news, we have the conveyor belt of pure talent churning out another golden generation of players, ready to be punted as soon as they are decent enough i.e. East Mains.

It cost us a measley £4m (40 times more than the 100,000k lost on Sunday) :aok:

Ah wait, there's nae conveyor belt ye shout? And even if there wis we'd punt them affore we could use them ye moan?

Never mind, there's a nice big **** off half empty stand to be proud of, a nice big training facility doing **** all ... as I recall, we won all our Silverware and brought our golden generation thru using nothing more than a shred of savvy and dug sheite ladden public parks across Edinburgh.

Still...the fact most folk said pouring our cash into such a facility NOW (nobody said never but most said - team first .. rest later) has worked well I feel. We're gon backwards and doing **** all much but rip oor ain fans, with oor chairman pitching up and telling us every now and then how its down to US .... hmmm, I dinny recall being consulted as player after player disappears oot the door and **** all much replacement is seen.

The only ****ing manager to win **** all in years was well backed by the board wasnt he? Player revolt. Still won trophies though. The only lazy fat *******s stealing wages had a complaint about being overworked...fans wont complain if they are MADE to work hard and have some pride in the shirt. Canny see the problem wi Collins ... see the problem with money spent in the wrong place.

Dont care if that makes me on the wrong side of uber-fans all over. The truth is, we're paying the price for wasting cash on a big training facility we COULD have lived without and losing too many good players, replacing them with sheite. We're paying the price for putting the wrong manager in THREE times in a row and we're paying the price for taking the fans for granted.

I'd wager when Rod and his pals are long gone, and have to pay to enter the ground, they'll find other ways of spending their days. Us mugs, will always be here. That, is the difference. And always will be. A thankless task being a Hibby.

That said, most real Hibbys will always be Hibbys. Doesny mean they need to like the way things are now, agree with all according to St Rodney and pitch up regardless when they feel they're being shafted.

ENDOF

Kaiser1962
26-07-2011, 09:31 PM
In other news, we have the conveyor belt of pure talent churning out another golden generation of players, ready to be punted as soon as they are decent enough i.e. East Mains.

Ah wait, there's nae conveyor belt ye shout? And even if there wis we'd punt them affore we could use them ye moan?

Never mind, there's a nice big **** off half empty stand to be proud of, a nice big training facility doing **** all ... as I recall, we won all our Silverware and brought our golden generation thru using nothing more than a shred of savvy and dug sheite ladden public parks across Edinburgh.

Still...the fact most folk said pouring our cash into such a facility NOW (nobody said never but most said - team first .. rest later) has worked well I feel. We're gon backwards and doing **** all much but rip oor ain fans, with oor chairman pitching up and telling us every now and then how its down to US .... hmmm, I dinny recall being consulted as player after player disappears oot the door and **** all much replacement is seen.

The only ****ing manager to win **** all in years was well backed by the board wasnt he? Player revolt. Still won trophies though. The only lazy fat *******s stealing wages had a complaint about being overworked...fans wont complain if they are MADE to work hard and have some pride in the shirt. Canny see the problem wi Collins ... see the problem with money spent in the wrong place.

Dont care if that makes me on the wrong side of uber-fans all over. The truth is, we're paying the price for wasting cash on a big training facility we COULD have lived without and losing too many good players, replacing them with sheite. We're paying the price for putting the wrong manager in THREE times in a row and we're paying the price for taking the fans for granted.

I'd wager when Rod and his pals are long gone, and have to pay to enter the ground, they'll find other ways of spending their days. Us mugs, will always be here. That, is the difference. And always will be. A thankless task being a Hibby.

That said, most real Hibbys will always be Hibbys. Doesny mean they need to like the way things are now, agree with all according to St Rodney and pitch up regardless when they feel they're being shafted.

ENDOF

Do you feel better?

Big Frank
26-07-2011, 09:37 PM

ENDOF

Blaming EM for the state we are in is pish. The gems you want to see aren't crap players who enter a training facility and come out the other end the next messi!!.. if you think giving our players bought and those come through the ranks a place to train, get fit following injury, play bounce matches is money wasted your mad!. If you think EM is solely for rearing talent, your going to be mightily disappointed for a long time.

Its a training facility. We are a football club. Running around ****ty public pitches was a disgrace to Hibernian.

However BM, I agree wholeheartedly with your comments on JC.... barring some strange signings, IMO he's the.
last professional manager we have had in long time, or since

Bad Martini
26-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Do you feel better?

Never felt bad to start with :greengrin

Still stand by my points though :agree:

Do you feel better? :aok:

Bad Martini
26-07-2011, 09:45 PM
Blaming EM for the state we are in is pish. The gems you want to see aren't crap players who enter a training facility and come out the other end the next messi!!.. if you think giving our players bought and those come through the ranks a place to train, get fit following injury, play bounce matches is money wasted your mad!. If you think EM is solely for rearing talent, your going to be mightily disappointed for a long time.

Its a training facility. We are a football club. Running around ****ty public pitches was a disgrace to Hibernian.

However BM, I agree wholeheartedly with your comments on JC.... barring some strange signings, IMO he's the.
last professional manager we have had in long time, or since

Not blaming East Mains for the state we are in solely. It is however, a factor.

My point is simply this.

Priorities.

We needed money spending on our most important comodity and soon namely, the playing staff. £4m would have gone a long way on the pitch.

I agree with you ; public ****ty parks arent good. BUT, if it worked for a long enough time and I include our last two teams to actually WIN anything, it surely could have lasted another 3 or 4 years whilst we built a team no?

I understand the building of the new east. It come with planning issues and was due. I dont really agree with the NEED for it over playing staff.

Ideal world, I'd have both. If had to pick, players first, fill the stadium, get the seats and stand paying for themselves, THEN build East Mains....Pele had nae such facilities now did he? And he would just aboot get a game no? Wisnae too shabby?

Other factors for our mess is shabby managerial choices x 3 and some strange need to let all our best players go for £££ and not REINVEST the lot in the team. My biggest issues with our board.

I agree with ye on Collins though. :not worth :thumbsup:

Big Frank
26-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Fair points BM :agree:

snooky
26-07-2011, 09:52 PM

ENDOF

:agree: Thoughts of Me2.

Captain Trips
26-07-2011, 10:17 PM

ENDOF

100% :agree::top marks

Rico
26-07-2011, 11:50 PM
I witnessed the tail end of the Turnbull years, the Bertie Auld catenaccio, the return of Pat Stanton, Blackley, Miller, and all that followed.
However, I have never witnessed a start to a season like this, even through the 80's when, as a few posters have commented, we were largely toothless, there was always an optimism that this could be the year, all I can see is doom and gloom.
If our "manager", who is best placed to comment, warns us of storms ahead while refusing to commit himself to the club, how on earth can we, as fans, be blamed for refusing to pay extortionate prices in difficult times.
The idea that any admission money will go towards new players has been rolled out every year for as long as I can remember, but, with the possible exception of McLeish's era, this has proven to be a myth.
I would say the majority of Hibs supporters do not have faith in the current board, and I have my doubts as to whether they have the ability and/or desire to produce a football club capable of challenging for, at the very least, third place.
Our recent record of managerial appointments appears to indicate the cheapest option on every occassion, and even when we did gain success with Collins they refused to back his ambition to improve further.
I've never been so disillusioned about MY team, I only wish I'd watched the Grand Prix on Sunday instead of that debacle.

hibiedude
27-07-2011, 04:54 AM
Hibs have been piss poor for over 2 years so lets blame the stay away fans!!!! :crazy:

If the product on the field is not good enough- the fans won't buy it "simple really".

Saorsa
27-07-2011, 07:05 AM
Hibs have been piss poor for over 2 years so lets blame the stay away fans!!!! :crazy:

If the product on the field is not good enough- the fans won't buy it "simple really".Of course it's the fans fault :agree: what/who else could it be? :wink:

Mikey
27-07-2011, 07:24 AM
I've never at any point said that it's the fans fault and I don't recall seeing anyone else say that either.

The bottom line is, if fans stay away income will drop. It's basic.

We'll support you evermore.............

hibiedude
27-07-2011, 07:37 AM
If the people running our club bring in the wrong managers and players income will also drop :agree:

We have a manager who is trying to encourage players to Join the club when he won't commit himself to Hibs.

The vast Majority of fans still dont know if Calderwood is staying or going.

matty_f
27-07-2011, 07:43 AM
Of course it's the fans fault :agree: what/who else could it be? :wink:

What were you saying about sarcasm and snidey digs?:na na:

Saorsa
27-07-2011, 07:45 AM
What were you saying about sarcasm and snidey digs?:na na:Just joining in :wink: as I doubt it's going tae change any time soon.

matty_f
27-07-2011, 07:49 AM
Just joining in :wink: as I doubt it's going tae change any time soon.

:greengrin If you can't beat 'em, eh?

Saorsa
27-07-2011, 07:53 AM
:greengrin If you can't beat 'em, eh?:wink:

One of these days I'm also going tae try an open letter :hmmm:........

......then again, maybe not :greengrin

Keith_M
27-07-2011, 08:54 AM
I've never at any point said that it's the fans fault and I don't recall seeing anyone else say that either.

and if the fans are being asked top pay out high sums of money for poor fair on offer, whilst not having faith in the custodians of the club that they can improve things, income will drop. It's basic.

J-C
27-07-2011, 08:55 AM

So what you're saying is pay the high inflated prices, get to the games and suffer another season of mediocrity, then when we are peed off enough we'll start booing the manager and players which will inevitably see the team play even worse.

Or we could protest to some extent by simply not turning up and show the board we as a support are not happy with the way the club has been run and a change is needed. When the revenue in down significantly, I'm sure the board will take the necessary steps and sort it out.

Beefster
27-07-2011, 09:29 AM

So why not phrase it "The poor decisions of the club longer-term and current poor product on the park cost our club £100k today"?

I never shop at H&M. I cost them £15.99 yesterday.

MSK
27-07-2011, 09:33 AM
So why not phrase it "The poor decisions of the club longer-term and current poor product on the park cost our club £100k today"?

I never shop at H&M. I cost them £15.99 yesterday.Too big a thread title ..

Mikey
27-07-2011, 11:31 AM
So what you're saying is pay the high inflated prices, get to the games and suffer another season of mediocrity, then when we are peed off enough we'll start booing the manager and players which will inevitably see the team play even worse.

Where did I say that?

greenlex
27-07-2011, 11:37 AM
So why not phrase it "The poor decisions of the club longer-term and current poor product on the park cost our club £100k today"?I never shop at H&M. I cost them £15.99 yesterday. I think spare cash in these hard times and the daft kick off time on a Sunday during the holiday season had just as much to do with it.The fact is Mikey is right. The stay away fans cost us that sum.