PDA

View Full Version : Mission Possible?

Don Giovanni
23-07-2011, 08:13 PM
Colin, your mission, which you have already chosen to accept (when ye signed yer managers contract back in October 2010) is: as a minimum requirement to finish in the top half (realistically league positions 3 - 6). Anything above 6th will looked upon favourably. A wee cup run (especially a Hampden appearance {oh, how I miss those}) and / or European qualification would be greatly welcomed. And should you win the Holy Grail we'll build a statue of you so that future generations may worship your genius.

In order to help you achieve these modest goals you shall have at your disposal:

- the 3rd largest stadium (which you should try to fill by encouraging attractive, winning football)
- the 4th largest wage budget

- better training facilities than any of your direct competitors.

7th or, god forbid, lower will be considered failure for which you can expect to be terminated.

Nae mair excuses, Colin, get oan wi' it!

ManBearPig
23-07-2011, 10:44 PM
Are you comparing CC to Tom Cruise?

Ryan69
23-07-2011, 10:51 PM
Completely agree OP.

Hes had long enough to get his team sorted...hes known for months our position.

Disco Dave
23-07-2011, 10:59 PM
So suddenly 6th place is acceptable when Yogi got sacked for finishing 4th? Is this how far our expectations have dropped in a year?

Ryan69
23-07-2011, 11:08 PM
With Yogi it was more how he could have a team self-destruct and not have a clue what todo about it...We couldnt of bought a win then.

JustSimplyHibs
23-07-2011, 11:10 PM
Completely agree OP.

Hes had long enough to get his team sorted...hes known for months our position.

Another transfer window then i will say Calderwood has had even time to get decent enough players in, he has changed the squad greatly in 9 months got rid of the duds and replaced them way some decent players.....

What i do expect is decent cup runs and hopefully a Euro place from that :flag:

AlbertK86
23-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Completely agree OP. Hes had long enough to get his team sorted...hes known for months our position. Yep totally agree with OP and the fact he has known for months but has he had the backing of ROD to bring in who he wants? I don't believe he has. If he had i think he would have had all his signings in place for tomorrow's opener. Honestly don't believe CC is as daft as he sometimes comes accross and i am pretty sure he has tried to get players in but has been playing with his hands tied. GGTTH

Don Giovanni
24-07-2011, 01:42 AM
Are you comparing CC to Tom Cruise? Well one's a smooth, suave, all-action hero whilst the other one's... er... Tom Cruise... right? :wink:

matty_f
24-07-2011, 01:58 AM
Calderwood has signed close to a whole team since arriving at the club, so damn right I'm expecting a top 6 finish.

I agree with him that we're not at the standard we need to be - everyone can see where we need strengthening, but like other clubs we'll probably not see these players in until closer to the end of the window. I suspect CC would like to move a couple out of the squad still, to free up some space.

That said, there are benefits to having a small squad and a regular starting 11, and hopefully CC is as good a manager as he thinks he is and we see the progress and improvement on the park.

Decent managers can sign their way to success, great managers can get success with the tools they have. Here's hoping CC sees himself as the latter.

Don Giovanni
24-07-2011, 01:59 AM
Yep totally agree with OP and the fact he has known for months but has he had the backing of ROD to bring in who he wants? I don't believe he has. If he had i think he would have had all his signings in place for tomorrow's opener. Honestly don't believe CC is as daft as he sometimes comes accross and i am pretty sure he has tried to get players in but has been playing with his hands tied. GGTTH Interesting. Unpreparedness? Uncertaincancy? Hesitancy? It has been far from an ideal pre-season, that's for sure. However, the foundations are in place. Can Calderwood and Petrie build on them and take the club forward?

Don Giovanni
24-07-2011, 02:13 AM
So suddenly 6th place is acceptable when Yogi got sacked for finishing 4th? Is this how far our expectations have dropped in a year? DD, I and many others have stated 6th as a minimum requirement (due to the income and the relative prestige it brings). Yogi did not get sacked for finishing 4th. He was sacked for the continuing relegation form since February and the lack of any evidence that this form would be arrested (but we both knew that already, right?). CC has the tools at his disposal to achieve the realistic goals posted above. Petrie has fought to keep him. Now he must back him and CC will have to prove he is up to the task. GGTTH

hibeedonald
24-07-2011, 02:49 AM
While Yogi was one of the most tactically clueless managers Hibs have had, at least he cared and showed emotion.

Lucius Apuleius
24-07-2011, 05:03 AM
While Yogi was one of the most tactically clueless managers Hibs have had, at least he cared and showed emotion.

I would rather have a tactically aware emotionless manager.

stokesmessiah
24-07-2011, 05:51 AM

:agree:

Forza Fred
24-07-2011, 06:27 AM

I think we have 50% of that.

Lucius Apuleius
24-07-2011, 07:42 AM
I think we have 50% of that.

:greengrin Half full as opposed to half empty Forza?

:cgwa:cgwa:cgwa

Captain Trips
24-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Colin, your mission, which you have already chosen to accept (when ye signed yer managers contract back in October 2010) is: as a minimum requirement to finish in the top half (realistically league positions 3 - 6). Anything above 6th will looked upon favourably. A wee cup run (especially a Hampden appearance {oh, how I miss those}) and / or European qualification would be greatly welcomed. And should you win the Holy Grail we'll build a statue of you so that future generations may worship your genius.

In order to help you achieve these modest goals you shall have at your disposal:

- the 3rd largest stadium (which you should try to fill by encouraging attractive, winning football)
- the 4th largest wage budget

- better training facilities than any of your direct competitors.

7th or, god forbid, lower will be considered failure for which you can expect to be terminated.

Nae mair excuses, Colin, get oan wi' it!

If that is case why is 5th or 6th ok? IMO 5th or lower will be failure. Hibs with everything at disposal should be looking to consolidate on 4th and looking beyond.

lucky
24-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Cup runs are dependant on the draw. If we go the old firm away in both cups surely we can't hold that against cc. But losing to second division teams is unacceptable

ManBearPig
24-07-2011, 10:47 AM
For a club of this size 6th is minimal if we can finish 6th but look strong and showing that th team is getting better we can improve and hopefully qualify for europe again in 2-3 years. It takes time to build a legacy and a team from the ground up. Come on it even took Fergie 5-6 years at Sc umchester.