PDA

View Full Version : Question Who's fault is it?

1two
23-07-2011, 10:00 AM
Calderwood has more or less said he doesn't expect a good start to the season.
We as fans have more or less resigned ourselves to the fact that we've not really improved on last year and this is going to be another trying season.

The biggest worry to me is that come September/October, say we're bottom 4, no big wins v hearts or the OF to keep us happy, there will be another backlash from the fans.

This time who do we blame?
Petrie and the board who has time after time brought managers in who have ultimately failed, refused to get the cheque book out and gamble on the park with player signings and appears to have made signings himself that may or may not have been targetted by the manager and worse than all that refused to come out and put their foot down and put an end to the calderwood will he won't he go farce.
Or calderwood, who has made little impact football wise since his arrival, refused to say I'm staying/going failed to secure signings.

My opinion is that calderwoods the wrong man for the job, we need a big change on the park and he needs to go. But th board are to blame for the fact a full season has passed knowing the fact that we are loosing 10+ players that need replaced with quality and failing to act on it. The board are to blame for the managers they have signed for the past x amount of years. The board are to blame for us losing the one manager who could have changed a lot at ER IMO in John Collins, had he been given th correct backing.

The problem is the whole forest and Birmingham calderwood thing. Calderwood is clearly unsettled and has refused to say ine way or another what he wants to do. fans don't forget these things and ultimately come September/October the board will let off the hook whilst we sign another no mark manager.

How long is too long?

We have the 4th biggest Fan base in Scotland. We are told financially we are the marker for most other clubs. When is the time to 'speculate and invest'. And when will the board take the hit for the constant depressing cycle we seem to be in of appointing a manager, watching him fail and appointing the next one. It is draining the club and I've honestly dont think ive looked forward to a game for seasons.

greenlex
23-07-2011, 08:22 PM
A new first? A debate or question about something that hasnt happenred.
Wait its negative. We must have done that before.

DaveF
23-07-2011, 08:55 PM

Seems like a fair OP to me?

And in reply to the OP, I've no idea who is to blame, but you are absolutely spot on that CC will be right in the firing line pretty soon should our start be a poor one.

Hibs Class
23-07-2011, 09:03 PM
Seems like a fair OP to me?And in reply to the OP, I've no idea who is to blame, but you are absolutely spot on that CC will be right in the firing line pretty soon should our start be a poor one. Not a reasonable OP to me. Let's wait and see how the season starts and deal with it then.

Elephant Stone
23-07-2011, 09:14 PM
Not a reasonable OP to me. Let's wait and see how the season starts and deal with it then.

You don't think that there's a fault somewhere when our manager says that the team are not ready for the season?

jonty
23-07-2011, 09:17 PM
You don't think that there's a fault somewhere when our manager says that the team are not ready for the season?
I think he needs to address his PR skills and not be so honest (or just give less interviews)
The season starts two (or more) weeks early yet we dont get the benefit of an extra 2 weeks transfer window.
Butcher has already said the same thing - very few of the SPL clubs are ready.

CC needs to attend the RP school of public speaking. Never lie, but choose your words very, very, carefully.

Elephant Stone
23-07-2011, 09:22 PM
I think he needs to address his PR skills and not be so honest (or just give less interviews)
The season starts two (or more) weeks early yet we dont get the benefit of an extra 2 weeks transfer window.
Butcher has already said the same thing - very few of the SPL clubs are ready.

CC needs to attend the RP school of public speaking. Never lie, but choose your words very, very, carefully.

If it's because of the early start and it's the same for other clubs then he wouldn't be worried about lacking behind. It seems as though he thinks we are behind other teams though and something would appear to be up.

Hibs Class
23-07-2011, 09:25 PM
You don't think that there's a fault somewhere when our manager says that the team are not ready for the season? The OP seems to be based on the hypothesis that in sep/oct we are bottom four and I see little point in that. Why not a thread on what if we find ourselves top at christmas?

jonty
23-07-2011, 09:26 PM
If it's because of the early start and it's the same for other clubs then he wouldn't be worried about lacking behind. It seems as though he thinks we are behind other teams though and something would appear to be up.
In that case we'll find out when we've played them all once :greengrin
He might just have higher standards then we're used to or trying to set our expectations in order to exceed them.
Either way, we'll find out soon enough :agree:

Elephant Stone
23-07-2011, 09:29 PM
The OP seems to be based on the hypothesis that in sep/oct we are bottom four and I see little point in that. Why not a thread on what if we find ourselves top at christmas?

Talking bottom four at this stage probably is a bit OTT but if our manager says the team isn't ready then there is fault somewhere and I don't think it's all that unreasonable to ask where it is.

DaveF
23-07-2011, 09:31 PM
The OP seems to be based on the hypothesis that in sep/oct we are bottom four and I see little point in that. Why not a thread on what if we find ourselves top at christmas?

No one is stopping you from starting one :greengrin

The threads are what they are because the team ended last season in a slump and the squad is clearly still lacking in several areas.

Removed
Talking bottom four at this stage probably is a bit OTT but if our manager says the team isn't ready then there is fault somewhere and I don't think it's all that unreasonable to ask where it is. OTT? I think anyone who predicts anything in the top 8 at this stage is :crazy:

Elephant Stone
In that case we'll find out when we've played them all once :greengrin
He might just have higher standards then we're used to or trying to set our expectations in order to exceed them.
Either way, we'll find out soon enough :agree:

Here's hoping!

The Falcon
23-07-2011, 10:34 PM
. The board are to blame for us losing the one manager who could have changed a lot at ER IMO in John Collins, had he been given th correct backing.

:faf:

Was it his stunning eye for a player that convinced you of this? Or his spectacular track record since he left us in a huff?

1two
23-07-2011, 11:37 PM
:faf:

Was it his stunning eye for a player that convinced you of this? Or his spectacular track record since he left us in a huff?

Can't disagree with you there, Collins didn't have a track record of impressive signings, but I could easily turn your post round to be an anti Petrie one.
What I will say about Collins is IMO he was years ahead of any manager in this league in terms of how a professional footballer should conduct themselves. he would have brought In The correct backroom staff had he been backed and COULD have made a difference. But why gamble? That's not the hibs way, or should I say that's not the current boards way?

1two
23-07-2011, 11:38 PM

We have done it before, season after season!

Or is that the point your making?

1two
23-07-2011, 11:46 PM
Not a reasonable OP to me. Let's wait and see how the season starts and deal with it then.

There is nothing to suggest were going to improve on last year, in fact there's everything to suggest we'll be worse off.
But maybe your right, let's wait until were half way through the season and if we don't like it we can boot calderwood and get a new manager giving him a transitional season where he can pu his own stamp on the team.

Just like;
Collins (no don't fancy him)
Mixu (too negative, let's push him out)
Hughes (doesn't know what he's doing, bin him)
Calderwood(...............)

All of the above where appointed by the same board!

And another thing, they got lucky with Mowbray, or should I say he got lucky with hibs!

1two
23-07-2011, 11:48 PM
Yes I have had a few pints :)

Lucius Apuleius
24-07-2011, 05:11 AM
Ah, so its the old lucky if it works and bad decision making when it doesn't. Cannot have both IMO 1 2.

As to the OP, I don't do blame. if I think a person is doing his level best at a job, no matter how brilliant or bad he is at it, he gets my support.

The Falcon
24-07-2011, 07:29 AM
Can't disagree with you there, Collins didn't have a track record of impressive signings, but I could easily turn your post round to be an anti Petrie one.
What I will say about Collins is IMO he was years ahead of any manager in this league in terms of how a professional footballer should conduct themselves. he would have brought In The correct backroom staff had he been backed and COULD have made a difference. But why gamble? That's not the hibs way, or should I say that's not the current boards way?

I agree he had, he said, excellent ideas and his philosophy sounded great but so did Yogi at times till reality kicked in. Collins was perhaps inexperienced but I would argue appointing him was a gamble and, towards the end, he was failing miserably.

Mixu took time out and went away and watched, learned and came back stronger. Collins ego wont let him and therein lies the latent fault. Disappointing as he showed so much promise.

The trouble with gambling is that you lose much much more than you win. Is CC a gamble? Probably. Perhaps we should have appointed Jimmy and not Colin? Then we would have known what we were getting.