PDA

View Full Version : That right back position

KWJ
23-07-2011, 07:41 AM
The Herald seems to think we'll play EDG in there and I've seen it mentioned on this site too, where is this coming from?

While I don't like Hart he's out injured anyway so not an option for the start. Taggart doesn't look up to it yet so for me the choice is between Wotherspoon and Palsson. I'd go with Palsson as that's where he usually plays for Iceland and I'd prefer DW in midfield.

Wonder if Kevin McCann is fit :/ Has he found a new club yet?

Mon Dieu4
23-07-2011, 07:44 AM
The Herald seems to think we'll play EDG in there and I've seen it mentioned on this site too, where is this coming from?

While I don't like Hart he's out injured anyway so not an option for the start. Taggart doesn't look up to it yet so for me the choice is between Wotherspoon and Palsson. I'd go with Palsson as that's where he usually plays for Iceland and I'd prefer DW in midfield.

Id go with Wotherspoon, I think most of his best games were for us in his first season playing right back and would prefer Palsson's bite in the middle

matty_f
23-07-2011, 07:47 AM

Can't see EDG playing at right back, but given the club's new found propensity for noising up the fans at every opportunity, I'd fully expect to see Colin Nish make a guest appearance at right back, wearing a 'Hibs fans are C****' t-shirt, as we hear the news that we've sold the stadium and training center to the Old Firm.

KWJ
23-07-2011, 07:52 AM
Can't see EDG playing at right back, but given the club's new found propensity for noising up the fans at every opportunity, I'd fully expect to see Colin Nish make a guest appearance at right back, wearing a 'Hibs fans are C****' t-shirt, as we hear the news that we've sold the stadium and training center to the Old Firm.

Feeling positivie Matty? :greengrin

hibsbollah
23-07-2011, 07:52 AM
Taggart will go there tomorrow IMO and have a stormer.

stokesmessiah
23-07-2011, 08:16 AM

Not sure after his performance against Falkirk !?

Hainan Hibs
23-07-2011, 08:17 AM
Playing EDG there would be just asking for a rogering.

Tricla
23-07-2011, 08:19 AM

:agree:

I for one am happy to suffer a few shaky moments/defeats if it means that young guys like Taggart can be blooded to help them improve into established first team players.

No better place to start this than against Celtc live on TV on the opening day.

GGTTH!

:flag:

The Hurricane
23-07-2011, 08:19 AM
aTaggart will go there tomorrow IMO and have a stormer.

Are you blind or drunk or both, obviously not at Falkirk

Kevvy1875
23-07-2011, 08:23 AM

If he plays I hope you are right but from what I have seen of Taggart at senior level I would be surprised. Like others have said ....he does not look ready for SPL level. Last thing we want to do is destroy his confidence.

Seem him have a really good game in the U19s when they played Falkirk at ER a couple of seasons back. Scored a couple of crackers that day from long range. The lad 'may' have a future at Hibs and I am not sure if RB is his actual position but I just hope Calderwood is sensible with him.

In saying all this.....we may have no other option. I would rather play Tam McCourt than Hart at RB.

Danderhall Hibs
23-07-2011, 08:26 AM
Playing EDG there would be just asking for a rogering.

How?

Having asked that it's got to be Wotherspoon that plays there - that's where he's played his best for Hibs and he could do a similar job getting forward to what Towell done last season.

hibsbollah
23-07-2011, 08:26 AM
Are you blind or drunk or both, obviously not at FalkirkI was blind drunk during the falkirk game.But i'll take your word for it. Get rid on the basis of one pre-season game when all the clubs been raving about him. Good call.

offshorehibby
23-07-2011, 08:30 AM
While we need to give more game time to the likes of Taggart i'd hate to blow any confidence he might have in game one. With all this negativity kicking about we need a result or at worst a decent performance. So i think Wotherspoon will be the best bet, has EDG played there in any pre-season game if not i can't see him been thrown in. Pallson will be better for us in the midfield.

smurf
23-07-2011, 08:40 AM
It has to be spoony.

Hainan Hibs
23-07-2011, 08:41 AM
How?

It could either be a masterstroke like playing Boozy as a sweeper, or a disaster like dropping McCann in at Centre back. If I had to bet which one EDG at RB will resemble up against Commons, Stokes and co, I'd be putting a substantial amount on the 2nd option.

I would gladly be proved wrong though.

Matty_Jack04
23-07-2011, 09:17 AM
I think EDG could play right back no probs the guys obviously not got the legs for midfield anymore so it's natural to drop back probably find a better range of passing from further back, as for commons he'l be pushed to far back keeping tabs on Ivan than bothering EDG Still think Witherspoon will get the jersey tho

KWJ
23-07-2011, 09:30 AM
Has CC played DW at right back at all?

Ian Murray is a shout too.

blackpoolhibs
23-07-2011, 09:47 AM
If Calderwood plays EDG or Murray at right back, that would convince me he's trying to get himself sacked.

PeterboroHibee
23-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Really cant see De Graaf at RB. Isnt particularly quick, doesnt seem very strong, bottles challenges, lets guys go past him too easily... The best Ive seen him is pushed quite far forward, Id be even more nervous about tomorrow if he is part of the back line!

Got to be Spoony or Palsson for me, against Celtic on the opening day of the day of the season isnt really the best game for Taggart imo.

edwards
23-07-2011, 10:56 AM
I think EDG could play right back no probs the guys obviously not got the legs for midfield anymore so it's natural to drop back probably find a better range of passing from further back, as for commons he'l be pushed to far back keeping tabs on Ivan than bothering EDG Still think Witherspoon will get the jersey tho

Don't know where this came from but it might not be impossible as two of our legends Stanton and Sauzee both played in the centre of midfield before moving back to the centre of defence and left sided midfield players move back to left back as their pace starts to go.
It might not be the worst idea and it would give us more experience in defence.
He wouldn't go and score an own goal now would he. :rolleyes:

PISTOL1875
23-07-2011, 11:02 AM
What about Ian Murray playing there ???

Franck Stanton
23-07-2011, 12:37 PM
What about Ian Murray playing there ???

Been tried a couple of times in past - he had a'mare on every occassion. Dont get me wrong, I like Murray, even now when he is slowing down, cant fault him for effort or commitment - however, r/b just isn't his position.

sixtwo
23-07-2011, 01:30 PM
It will be spoony. My team would be

----------------Brown
----spoony, o'hanlon, Hanlon, Booth
Sproule - Thornhill - Pallson - Murray- Galbraith
------------O' Connor----

IMO that's the best formation against Celtic and the best team we have to offer. I''l be disappointed with anything else (perhaps with the exception of changing Murray for Scott)

AndersonGGTTH
23-07-2011, 02:04 PM
It will be spoony. My team would be

----------------Brown
----spoony, o'hanlon, Hanlon, Booth
Sproule - Thornhill - Pallson - Murray- Galbraith
------------O' Connor----

IMO that's the best formation against Celtic and the best team we have to offer. I''l be disappointed with anything else (perhaps with the exception of changing Murray for Scott)

of course Stack No.1 ;) apaert from that then that seems the best we have to offer !

Hibiza
23-07-2011, 02:33 PM
Towell back soon hopefully.

BSEJVT
23-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Honest question

What is Taggart's natural position?

oconnors_strip
23-07-2011, 04:44 PM
Honest question

What is Taggart's natural position?

taggart played right back and also right midfield for the under 19s

i would play wotherspoon at right back and stick palson in midfield, as after seeing palson play at right back in pre season i would be biting my fingers nails every time celtic go down that wing.

BSEJVT
23-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Thank you

The limited times I have seen him, he didnt look like a natural right back to me

Albion Hibs
23-07-2011, 06:27 PM
I think it will be either Wotherspoon or Palsson. I think it is Wotherspoon's best position and he seems to contribute and feature in a game when played there. Will be interesting to see who ends up filling the slot.