PDA

View Full Version : What does it means to us to be a Hibs Supporter?

Hibs12thMan
22-07-2011, 11:03 AM
In 1980 we were relegated and bounced back up. Not very high, but we bounced back up. Crowds were half what they are now and season tickets less than a quarter. In 1990 we were threatened by bankruptcy and a takeover by Mr Mercer. Hands off Hibs anyone? In 1998 we went down again but this time under McLeish we bounced back higher and with considerable flair.

In the last 30 years we have finished third a couple of times, been relegated a couple of times but in the remaining seasons been somewhere between fourth and tenth - an average of about seventh? Can't forget those 2 cup wins though - they were special!

So, clearly it's not about success. Being a Hibs supporter is an emotional love affair. But it is, for most of us, for life. History tells us we have needed to be able to roll with the punches, pick ourselves up and get behind the team and the club when the going gets tough.

We finished tenth last season and were in the relegation zone. This season will be a hard struggle. It will be a big test - of the management, of the players and of course to the resolve of us - the long-suffering Hibs Support. What will be our response to this challenge?

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-07-2011, 11:25 AM
I had a Season Ticket for 25 odd years up until roughly the end of the Mowbray era as far as I can remember.
The enjoyment/fun factor is no longer there, atmosphere is grim and scottish football is heading down the pan.

Hibs will always be my team, but, theres just nae enjoyment for myself or most of the guys that I used to go along to games with anymore.

In all honesty I'm more likely to go along to an away game and make a day out of it than I am to turn up at ER.

Sad, but, true I'm afraid!

BoltonHibee
22-07-2011, 11:26 AM
Cant stand watching them anymore, fed up for being taken for a mug

Stevie Reid
22-07-2011, 11:27 AM
As long as I can afford it, I'll be there. Couldn't give up on Hibs.

we are hibs
22-07-2011, 11:29 AM
even if hibs got thumped 9-0 on sunday i would be a supporter even if they where in the third division i would still be a supporter any time i even consider not following them i just remember the 18/3/2007 i will always be a hibs supporter plus who could support that lot or any other team .

HIBERNIAN TILL I DIE:flag::flag::flag::cgwa:cgwa:cgwa

DAVE1875
22-07-2011, 11:30 AM
Cant stand watching them anymore, fed up for being taken for a mug

http://plinkplunk.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/facepalm.gif

LancashireHibby
22-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Business as usual for me. Will give the team my full support when I can attend although that's just as likely to be an away game as it is a home one. Day out is just the same but all depends on which games I can get to.

one day maybe...
22-07-2011, 11:37 AM
Would or can never stop being a Hibby, but the enjoyment at football in general is garbage these days.
Ok we get the odd game where there is a bit of excitement, but usually its gash or maybe its the age I am at allied with the memories of standing at games with all your mates having a laugh, win, lose or draw. Alas football, l especially the Scottish game is stagnant and until that changes my money would be better spent elsewhere. The thought of another season where Rangers & Celtic dominate the domestic scene does nothing for me. As I said Hibs will always be my team, I will always love them but I just can't stand the SPL anymore.

PeeJay
22-07-2011, 11:42 AM
I live in Berlin so can't get along to ER, but I am a regular subscriber to Hibs TV, but if things don't pick up this season in terms of quality (that goes for on the park and on the screen) then I am as close to taking a break from being interested in my team as I have been since I lost contact when I left the UK 30+ years ago. No-one in the team excites me as a player, nothing about the club excites me - and even a victory on Sunday won't fool me, we have serious problems at ER it seems - last season was a disaster and this pre-season doesn't suggest we are heading in the right direction or in fact any direction at all - we seem to be just just bumbling along. Not good enough for me.

blackpoolhibs
22-07-2011, 01:05 PM
I will still go, but i'm looking at a couple of other clubs to watch at the minute. If they come up with something better i'd be silly to not consider what they are offering. I'm sorry but i'm just being honest.

Brummie_Hibs
22-07-2011, 01:35 PM
I voted for:
"I may give it a miss this season"

but it is more between that and:
"I'm fed up with Hibs and the SPL - may give up watching Scottish football completely"

I live down south and used to come up for as many Hibs games as possible, but now I've not been at Easter Road for about 3 years (last game was a few years back at Tynecastle), and quite frankly I don't miss it and I doubt I would come up 'just' for a normal Hibs league game in the foreseeable future (and I include derbies in that). A cup final or semi, or decent European game, yes. Does that make me a fair weather fan in some folks eyes, then probably - but I don't care. I've done my fair share of travelling and watching Hibs, and at the moment nothing excites me about the SPL or Hibs, and I have other priorities in life that far surpass Hibs. Sometimes I don't even make the effort to watch us when we are on TV!

I am still a Hibs fan - always will be, but if we won the Scottish Cup, then I think I would be quite happy if that was the last Hibs game I attended (bar the Champions League Final!)

However, I am very much a Scotland Football Team supporter. I seem to have more passion for them now than Hibs - why that is, I dunno? Is it because a Scotland game only comes around now and then and therefore more special? Is it because I was born Scottish but chose Hibs, so in some way that makes it closer to me? Is it because I think Scottish fans are generally a more open minded, optimistic and encouraging set of fans than Hibs fans? Or is it with Scotland you have to make do with the d*ck you p*ss with, unlike with Hibs were you can chose your better players but we don't...I dunno? Maybe a mixture of all and none!

I'm up for briefly for Christmas and have the opportunity to see us away at Dundee Utd, but the choice in my mind is far from clear cut. I think I may just go visit some friends instead...

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-07-2011, 01:54 PM
I agree with the post about Scotland games, they've filled the void nicely since I stopped being a regular at ER.

Phil MaGlass
22-07-2011, 02:05 PM
I might go to less games this season unless results improve 8.70%
I may give it a miss this season (State your reason - team, results, finance, a mix) 6.52%
I'm fed up with Hibs and the SPL - may give up watching Scottish football completely 13.04%

worrying already, thats 28 odd %

I agree with Brummie Hibs,although I have been back regularly, I find it hard to get up for Hibs games anymore, Hibs for me has been filled by 2 other teams,1 Scotland the other my local Dutch team, way more interesting trips and games, theres more passionate crowds and an atmosphere, no ticket pricing rip offs either. For years I never missed a Hibs home or away game but now I am out the country i see it for what it is in Scotland, a bland, overpriced, boring game.
Worst thing is, I will be back in september and still pay a fortune to go over to dunfermline and cheer them on and almost expectedly leave with ma tail between ma legs from a 2-0 drubbing.

Woody1985
22-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Will pick and choose games when times and finance dictate, as I usually do each season.

The girlfriends lassie has been turned into a hun by her brothers but might take her along to Easter road and hope it catches on. Seeing a five year old in a hun strip gives me to boak. that might generate an extra few games!

I'm on the verge of giving up all together with the spl though. Recently I've started reading newspapers from the front because it's the same old **** all the time.

Saorsa
22-07-2011, 02:53 PM
gies yer money, shut yer face and take what you get.

I didnae think I could be any less enthusiastic than I was last season, then I've been saying that for a few years now but every time it gets worse and the apathy grows. I'll be there for now because I've paid for it but if it starts going the way of last season I may decide tae write it off as another 400 quid doon the pan and find something else tae do that winnnae piss me off.

It's habit, (and one that's getting easier tae break) that's all it is now, I can hardly remember the last time I went tae ER and thought, that was worth being there. Another season like the last one and I could well be joining those who voted on the last option.

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Just out of interest, cannae check on my phone are most folk who voted for the last option round about 40 yrs old?

Aldo
22-07-2011, 03:25 PM
Have to admit that not been as much as I would of liked over the last few seasons. 2 young girls and work shifts however gonnae try and make more of an effort and get to more games this season. Usually sit with a gid bunch of guys (well sort of) mainly the Beers and a few auld heids...eh J??

Went home and away for years on the east coast hibs bus and we were no great shakes then however this is wot its like being a hibs supporter. Always has been and always will be.

Its the Hibs way.

GG

biffo1875
22-07-2011, 03:27 PM
even if hibs got thumped 9-0 on sunday i would be a supporter even if they where in the third division i would still be a supporter any time i even consider not following them i just remember the 18/3/2007 i will always be a hibs supporter plus who could support that lot or any other team .

HIBERNIAN TILL I DIE:flag::flag::flag::cgwa:cgwa:cgwa

me to :aok:HIBEES TILL I DIE :flag:ALWAYS KEEP THE FAITH :hibees:hibees

Baldy Foghorn
22-07-2011, 05:06 PM
I love Hibs and will attend every week home and away as usual, however I am beginning to get fed up with the lack of ambition being shown and fed up with being treated like a mug by the Club....

smurf
22-07-2011, 05:29 PM
I love Hibs and will attend every week home and away as usual, however I am beginning to get fed up with the lack of ambition being shown and fed up with being treated like a mug by the Club....

Ditto. Except i'm some away games and all home.

one day maybe...
22-07-2011, 05:32 PM
Just out of interest, cannae check on my phone are most folk who voted for the last option round about 40 yrs old?

Well I am and I voted for the last option. Maybe it was the excitement of the build up on the day, what went on at the game as opposed to the game or the fact most of us of that age remember being able to support your team by standing with your mates, being able to jump around like numpties when we score and not being told what to do every 5 minutes by some twat in a yellow coat. These days you have to conduct some sort of military style operation just to get tickets to sit with your mates and god forbid you stand up.

Ernie Cobra
22-07-2011, 06:01 PM
This is the least excited i have been at the start of a season EVER! Normally chomping at the bit, missing football, going mad waiting, checking for transfers......like a bairn at christmas. This season more like the chinese new year, know it there, know its happening, just really doesnt affect me.....Sad but true. Another year of Sellick and the vermin dominating, celebrating like we one the Scottish cup when we muster a win against arguably the worst 2 teams they have both ever produced. Scottish football is going down the plughole and will be the equivelant of the Irish League in a few years.

We need to get rid of Petrie to move forward in my opinion. Great infrastructure and the club is to his thinking "stable".....the difference is there policies are making ME UNSTABLE!

Pisher than pish is what i say......pishy pishy pish pish!:na na:

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Well I am and I voted for the last option. Maybe it was the excitement of the build up on the day, what went on at the game as opposed to the game or the fact most of us of that age remember being able to support your team by standing with your mates, being able to jump around like numpties when we score and not being told what to do every 5 minutes by some twat in a yellow coat. These days you have to conduct some sort of military style operation just to get tickets to sit with your mates and god forbid you stand up. That is it in a nutshell!Maybe to get a bit of an atmosphere cheering on a Hibby at Wimbers is the way forward!

Removed
22-07-2011, 09:44 PM
I love Hibs and will attend every week home and away as usual, however I am beginning to get fed up with the lack of ambition being shown and fed up with being treated like a mug by the Club.... I've already stopped Brockie. Normally I wouldn't think twice about going to Inverness but why should I bother now.

Stevenson1875
23-07-2011, 09:11 AM
hibee through and through

:cgwa:flag::cgwa:flag:

Stevenson1875
23-07-2011, 09:13 AM
This is the least excited i have been at the start of a season EVER! Normally chomping at the bit, missing football, going mad waiting, checking for transfers......like a bairn at christmas. This season more like the chinese new year, know it there, know its happening, just really doesnt affect me.....Sad but true. Another year of Sellick and the vermin dominating, celebrating like we one the Scottish cup when we muster a win against arguably the worst 2 teams they have both ever produced. Scottish football is going down the plughole and will be the equivelant of the Irish League in a few years.

We need to get rid of Petrie to move forward in my opinion. Great infrastructure and the club is to his thinking "stable".....the difference is there policies are making ME UNSTABLE!

Pisher than pish is what i say......pishy pishy pish pish!:na na:

Pisher than pish is what i say......pishy pishy pish pish! :party::asshole:

RIP
23-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Really interesting result so far

Of the small percentage who are walking away, only a handful are local Hibbies. Most of the rest are currently based in Europe, England, Irteland or more than 50 miles away in Scotland

It must cost these guys £100 - £500 to get to a game. I'm impressed they make any games at all tbh - especially when there are EPL or European games to go to for some.

seanraff07
23-07-2011, 05:07 PM
I love Hibs, always have and always will, and will attend when I have the money, I've got a ST. But I remember I used to be buzzing for Hibs games well in advance... I've had a few people saying to me recently "ah thank god the football is back can't wait" etc... Yep, I'm glad the footballs back for something on TV and something to do at the weekends, but I amn't particularly looking forward to watching Hibs, I take more interest interest in trying to create an atmosphere at games these days than the actual game cause it's that boring and depressing to watch.

Still though, Hibby through and through, could never even think of turning my back on them.

GGTTH, lets do the weegie **** tomorrow :flag: