PDA

View Full Version : Tipped to go down!

3pm
22-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Having a quick glance at the Daily Express, 3 of their 6 'experts' are tipping us for the drop!

One person's opinion but the summer shambles ain't went unnoticed! Let's hope they are wrong!

vla_di_vla
22-07-2011, 09:28 AM
Having a quick glance at the Daily Express, 3 of their 6 'experts' are tipping us for the drop!

One person's opinion but the summer shambles ain't went unnoticed! Let's hope they are wrong!

Funny enough was just checking the odds - best price 18/1 and seriously considering it!

Jim44
22-07-2011, 09:37 AM
Funny enough was just checking the odds - best price 18/1 and seriously considering it!

If you're seriously considering a bet, I'd snap up that price as it might drop rapidly after the first few games.

Gatecrasher
22-07-2011, 09:42 AM
Mid table finish IMO

Craig_in_Prague
22-07-2011, 09:43 AM
If Thornhill gets injured and is out for a long-ish period or GOC also get's injured, then I can see us being in serious trouble.

We'll still leak goals and midfield appears worse, will GOC / Sodje get us enough goals....... There are holes in our side and I can understand why some would see us as real candidates to go down.

The 1st 3 games will see us with 1 point or less, so will we have the quality and underbelly to come back and go on to have a decent season. Time will tell.

Hamish
22-07-2011, 09:47 AM

Pants paper, pants predictions.

We'll be top 6 - at some point in the season.

easty
22-07-2011, 09:50 AM
We wont go down. I don't expect us to have an enjoyable season but we're not the worst (and that's as good a compliment as I can muster).

FromTheCapital
22-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Grant Stott in the Evening News is about the only paper that likes us...

It's absolute bull, we'll finish top 6 easily, I'm predicting 3rd...

:cgwa

Hamish
22-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Grant Stott in the Evening News is about the only paper that likes us...

It's absolute bull, we'll finish top 6 easily, I'm predicting 3rd...

:cgwa

:rules: No optimism on here please.

Sylar
22-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Other than the managerial situation, what sets us apart from the pre-season the likes of St Mirren, Kilmarnock, Inverness Caley, Motherwell or St Johnstone?

None of these sides have made really fearsome signings and all of them have had very poor pre-season performances and results. Christ, even Hearts have looked woeful in pre-season - Livingston made them look positively ordinary, not to mention Cowdenbeath scalping both Hearts and St Mirren (comfortably).

Far too early to say one team looks more likely than the others, certainly based on the preseason.

Hibs7
22-07-2011, 09:59 AM
No confidence in Calderwood, or the Hibs board that they can rescue the dire situation we are heading for. Definite relegation candidates and as they say on Dragons Den..........I'm Out.

easty
22-07-2011, 10:02 AM
Other than the managerial situation, what sets us apart from the pre-season the likes of St Mirren, Kilmarnock, Inverness Caley, Motherwell or St Johnstone?

None of these sides have made really fearsome signings and all of them have had very poor pre-season performances and results. Christ, even Hearts have looked woeful in pre-season - Livingston made them look positively ordinary, not to mention Cowdenbeath scalping both Hearts and St Mirren (comfortably).

Far too early to say one team looks more likely than the others, certainly based on the preseason.

I agree, I wouldn't judge how teams are going to do based on preseason friendlies. I would, though, judge us on the way we finished last season and what's been added to the side to make us better. We haven't addressed the RB problem, we're still not sure who our first choice keeper is, the midfield wasn't helping our powderpuff defence last season - we've not rectified that in any way, we're still short of strikers.

I don't think we'll go down. There are teams who are worse than us when you look at there squads.

allezsauzee
22-07-2011, 10:04 AM
If these guys tip Dunfermline to go down and it happens then nobody is going to give 2 shiny ******$, if they correctly tip one of the big fish to get relegated then they'll be living off a reputation as an 'expert' for years.

Gmack7
22-07-2011, 10:08 AM
its a sign of where we are i suppose,but what a depressing thread just before a balls kicked

hibs0666
It's nuts to make these types of prediction at this stage. As Butcher has stated, hardly any clubs have finished their squad building.

This thread will look a bit embarrassing by the time the window closes.

Expecting Rain
I`m not convinced that Hibs are moving in any direction at the moment and are stalling for another transitory season, hoping that some youngsters consolidate their position as first team regulars and that others are brought in to patch up weaknesses, there is a huge resposibility on the shoulders of O`Connor, Sproule while all heart and dash will be expected to perform with more consistency and it seems based on a few frendlies that Thornhill has been elevated to chief playmaker, O`Hanlon also has a huge part to play, i don`t think we`ll be relegated but will probably be in the mix.

Jim44
22-07-2011, 10:10 AM
If you consider our garbage performances at the end of last seaon, a debatable lack of improvement to the squad and the state of uncertainty about our management, I would say we are certainly among the front runners for delegation.

frazeHFC
22-07-2011, 10:11 AM
I think we will be bottom 4, but i would not be surprised if it is Dens Park, Almondvale and the likes next season.

marinello59
22-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Things might not be the best right now but stuff running up the white flag before a ball has been kicked in anger.

GGTTH

:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

smurf
22-07-2011, 10:22 AM
I don't give a ...... what these 'experts' think.

However, its hugely frustrating having to concede that their predictions are not without basis or foundation...

3pm
22-07-2011, 10:22 AM
Things might not be the best right now but stuff running up the white flag before a ball has been kicked in anger.

GGTTH

:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

Agreed.

DAVE1875
22-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Always nice to see fellow Hibs supporters give up before the season has even started. For all we know Hibs could be the Killie of last season; finished near bottom the season before but finished a respectable top 6th finish the next season.

Now whilst I can understand the general "F*** the board" attitude (I feel the same way), don't lose hope in the team; F*** the Board, Back the Team!

STOP GIVING UP BEFORE THE FIRST GAMES HAVE BEEN PLAYED

Broken Gnome
22-07-2011, 10:39 AM
The same Daily Express that tipped us to finish third three weeks ago.

easty
22-07-2011, 10:40 AM
Always nice to see fellow Hibs supporters give up before the season has even started. For all we know Hibs could be the Killie of last season; finished near bottom the season before but finished a respectable top 6th finish the next season.

Now whilst I can understand the general "F*** the board" attitude (I feel the same way), don't lose hope in the team; F*** the Board, Back the Team!

Whilst I agree with the sentiments, Killie brought in Eremenko last season and that's what got them top 6. Undoubted class that easily controlled SPL games. O'Connor will score goals and Ivan will get us off our seats but we haven't brought in someone that will control the game from the middle of the park and make things happen effortlessly.

edwards
22-07-2011, 10:41 AM
We haven't kicked a ball in our new league campaign yet and we are already talking about relegation. Jesus :blah:
Firstly we need to sort out this Calderwood situation and Petrie will have to bite the bullet very shortly and accept the offer on the table or face sacking CC if he has a poor start to the season and getting nothing.
I would have liked to have seen a right back signed and the defence would have looked much better than last season.
It appears O'Connor has to work on his fitness and hopefully Sodje's injury is short term and we now sign Agogo shortly and that will be three forwards which might get us by until January.
Unless of course with Sheridan now going to St Johnstone [and who can blame him] he has had trouble dealing with the club he is at and not receiving wages then he comes for a trial with us to observe the manager might be departing and if he signed might end up sitting in the stands.
Petrie only has himself to blame for this laughable situation we are in at the moment and targets have looked closely at what is going on at ER.

frazeHFC
22-07-2011, 10:41 AM
But by expecting the worst, anything bad is expected, and anything good is a bonus.

I will never stop my support of the team, but can express concerns.

Beefster
22-07-2011, 10:43 AM
I don't think for a second that we'll go down. We will struggle to get into the top six and may be as bad (or worse) as last season but there will be someone worse, which isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of the Hibs squad.

DAVE1875
22-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Whilst I agree with the sentiments, Killie brought in Eremenko last season and that's what got them top 6. Undoubted class that easily controlled SPL games. O'Connor will score goals and Ivan will get us off our seats but we haven't brought in someone that will control the game from the middle of the park and make things happen effortlessly.

We have until the start September, it's not like the transfer window is shutting in 9 days, cool your beans. For all we know Calderwood might find a right gem of a player that costs us peanuts.

pentlando
22-07-2011, 10:47 AM
I think we will be bottom 4, but i would not be surprised if it is Dens Park, Almondvale and the likes next season.

Only one of those sides can be promoted though? :greengrin

The_Exile
22-07-2011, 10:49 AM
Pants paper, pants predictions.

We'll be top 6 - at some point in the season.

Correct......take a look for yourselves, we should enjoy this while it lasts!

http://www.scotprem.com/content/default.asp?page=home_statistics

easty
22-07-2011, 10:49 AM
We have until the start September, it's not like the transfer window is shutting in 9 days, cool your beans. For all we know Calderwood might find a right gem of a player that costs us peanuts.

I dont think we'll go down. I'm not worried about that at all. And you're right Calderwood might find a right gem...but surely I can form an opinion based on what we have, rather than have no opinion until the transfer window shuts when we might, or might not, have brought in a new "gem".

happiehibbie
22-07-2011, 10:59 AM
I am not suprised to be tipped to go down.
truth is its not looking good but lets see how Sunday goes we can only hope it gets better last season was a NIGHTMARE i do not want to go through another season watching P!!h I will not renew another ST if the product does not get better

CB_NO3
22-07-2011, 11:28 AM
I dont think we'll go down. I'm not worried about that at all. And you're right Calderwood might find a right gem...but surely I can form an opinion based on what we have, rather than have no opinion until the transfer window shuts when we might, or might not, have brought in a new "gem".

You generally dont find gems paying £1400 a week.

Sprouleflyer
22-07-2011, 11:52 AM
You generally dont find gems paying £1400 a week.

Why not?

Generally, if you "find" a gem, he is either in your youth set up or playing with a lower league team.

Most established gems will aready be plying their trade in a league way above the SPL and earning an income that even Celtic or Rangers would struggle to afford.

James70
22-07-2011, 12:11 PM
To be honest I don't think any of the three journalists, namely Scott Burns, Iain Macfarlane and Gary Keown have much of a liking for our club for whatever reason.

From memory at least two of the above named have been very scathing about us in match reports last season and previous seasons before that and I reckon they would all be delighted to see their predictions come true.

Maybe CC should pin this prediction sheet up in the dressing room in the hope that the players will be motivated that little bit more to see that it doesn't come true.

We still need to make some quality signings however otherwise these guys may be proved correct.

Malthibby
22-07-2011, 12:20 PM
I wouldn't use to the Express to wipe my backside with, it's a thick wee Tory rag & it is irrelevant.
It has been a lousy pre-season & I'll be there on Sunday with little hope in my heart, but the idea that we will relegated is just stupid.
A number of issues requie addressing, but in the meantime let's get behind the team & stop wallowing. Whether your pint is half full or half empty, it still means there is a drink in front of you.
GG

offshorehibby
22-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Oh good 3 prick journos have us to go down this season, the end of the world. I'm sure there are guys on here wont us to go down so they can turn round at the end of the season and say there i told you so.
Why not wait and see what the end of august brings and maybe the first round of games before believing a couple of west coast hacks.

james62
22-07-2011, 12:22 PM

Which bookie is that with?

sahib
22-07-2011, 12:24 PM
To be honest I don't think any of the three journalists, namely Scott Burns, Iain Macfarlane and Gary Keown have much of a liking for our club for whatever reason.

From memory at least two of the above named have been very scathing about us in match reports last season and previous seasons before that and I reckon they would all be delighted to see their predictions come true.

Maybe CC should pin this prediction sheet up in the dressing room in the hope that the players will be motivated that little bit more to see that it doesn't come true.

We still need to make some quality signings however otherwise these guys may be proved correct.

I have been surprised by how seasons have turned out in the past, so I won't stick my neck out now. It is very difficult to predict
this season (for me at least) as it all depends on whether any of the younger squad members, are really up to the mark. It could be that GOC might hit a late career purple patch similar to O'Rourke or any bit of good luck could kick start our season. The quality of most other teams is not that high and confidence could take us a long way.

easty
22-07-2011, 12:37 PM
I wouldn't use to the Express to wipe my backside with, it's a thick wee Tory rag & it is irrelevant.
It has been a lousy pre-season & I'll be there on Sunday with little hope in my heart, but the idea that we will relegated is just stupid.
A number of issues requie addressing, but in the meantime let's get behind the team & stop wallowing. Whether your pint is half full or half empty, it still means there is a drink in front of you.
GG

I wouldn't use any newspapers to wipe my arse. It's a delicate area and I prefer some velvety soft toilet roll, 2 ply minimum.

Fife-Hibee
22-07-2011, 01:10 PM
I wouldn't use any newspapers to wipe my arse. It's a delicate area and I prefer some velvety soft toilet roll, 2 ply minimum.

SNOB :greengrin

HFC 0-7
22-07-2011, 02:31 PM

None of them have let around 16 players leave without replacing them? we are weak in a few departments and after an injury or 2 have no cover for positions we are currnetly quite strong in. We will start the season very very weak, if we dont add to the squad soon we will be in danger.

ScottB
22-07-2011, 02:47 PM
Why is the Express the new Hibs.net bible? I'd probably sooner trust the opinion of the Daily Ranger than that right wing, Diana obsessed tripe.

Honestly, some folk actually sound like they are enjoying this fact. It's a bit hysterical to suggest we are going down frankly. I fail to see how we won't be a better side than last year frankly, sorry if that doesn't fit with the need to be as miserable as possible, but I think with the team gelled and the young guys coming in, plus a few more new boys yet to come, top 6 should be doable. Not expecting us to set the heather alight, but not cowering behind the couch either.

Can't wait for the 'see, we are definitely going down!' threads to start if we lose to Celtic and don't win in Inverness. :rolleyes:

Twa Cairpets
22-07-2011, 02:56 PM
If you consider our garbage performances at the end of last seaon, a debatable lack of improvement to the squad and the state of uncertainty about our management, I would say we are certainly among the front runners for delegation.

Nae one tells the tache what to do...

jonty
22-07-2011, 03:06 PM
squad has changed drastically so we can't compare it to last seasons.
pre-season has been a shambles? well it's certainly been a game of two halves - one negative (usually the first) and one positive (usually the second).
On balance, i'm looking forward to the season.

We're in the same boat as other SPL teams - Butcher was in the paper yesterday moaning about the early start to the season and that most of the teams were miles away from a finshed squad
http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Terry-Butcher-says-early-start.6805578.jp

Ivans up for Celtic - why shouldnt we be looking forward to it too :greengrin
http://www.scotsman.com/celticfc/Hibs-Hibs-talent-can-trouble.6805796.jp

Sylar
22-07-2011, 03:12 PM
None of them have let around 16 players leave without replacing them? we are weak in a few departments and after an injury or 2 have no cover for positions we are currnetly quite strong in. We will start the season very very weak, if we dont add to the squad soon we will be in danger.

We still have some very good youth players and the players we DID release were hardly central to the long term vision of the club, or indeed good enough to get regular game-time (Riordan aside, on occasion).

We're still short in a couple of areas in terms of missing first team positions (RB, another striker and another CM would be good), but the window doesn't close for another few weeks and some of the young guys who've played in pre-season look more than capable of deputising where needbe.

From recent interviews, Calderwood quite clearly has some irons in the fire, so why hit the panic button before a ball is kicked? :confused:

Aldo
22-07-2011, 03:14 PM

Thats Rodders ultimate wet dream is it not??Really do hope so but the way things have been going I am not going to expect anything

Leishy1995
22-07-2011, 03:15 PM
I predict one of the Saints to go down. Hibs will bring in 2 more players and we will be safe by Christmas IMO :cgwa

ScottB
22-07-2011, 03:27 PM
We have until the start September, it's not like the transfer window is shutting in 9 days, cool your beans. For all we know Calderwood might find a right gem of a player that costs us peanuts.[/QUOTE]

Thats Rodders ultimate wet dream is it not??Really do hope so but the way things have been going I am not going to expect anything

Why not? The players he brought in at Christmas all did well.

CmoantheHibs
22-07-2011, 03:29 PM
No confidence in Calderwood, or the Hibs board that they can rescue the dire situation e are heading for. Definite relegation candidates and as they say on Dragons Den..........I'm Out.

:bye:Dont watch dragons den(even if I was in the UK think its highly unlikely I would either) I fancy us to have an ok season but think CC will surprise a few doubters.

biffo1875
22-07-2011, 03:37 PM

HERE HERE 100 %:aok::hibees:hibees:hibees

Ozyhibby
22-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Why not? The players he brought in at Christmas all did well.

Did they? I remember the last 6 weeks of the season being absolute garbage.

Scott looks a journeyman at best and no better than Rankin.
Pallson has distribution on a par with ross Chisholm.
Sodje managed to bag a few goals but his overall ability has me doubting he can repeat the trick.
Towell looked a good prospect but was prone to the odd howler.
Thornhill hasn't played enough for me to offer a full opinion although he did impress against East Fife.

They didn't all do badly but they certainly did not all do well.

weecounty hibby
22-07-2011, 05:02 PM
Hibs wont go do this season. These three jokers who tipped us have an evens chance of tipping the champions and get it wrong as often as right. It makes for "sensational" journalism but ultimately they are talking pish! I don't think it will be a great season but it won't be that bad. Mid table with the team just now, 4th with the addition of some new faces.

mjhibby
22-07-2011, 05:21 PM
I agree, I wouldn't judge how teams are going to do based on preseason friendlies. I would, though, judge us on the way we finished last season and what's been added to the side to make us better. We haven't addressed the RB problem, we're still not sure who our first choice keeper is, the midfield wasn't helping our powderpuff defence last season - we've not rectified that in any way, we're still short of strikers.

I don't think we'll go down. There are teams who are worse than us when you look at there squads.

If your judging teams on how they finished last season then surely hertz were even worse than us.It hasnt gone unnoticed by the hertz fans either and their crowd for their glamour friendly tells us that there are a lot of sceptical jambos who dont believe they will be as good as last season and with wallace gone as well as bouzid and paleswaloes coupled with their dire preseason i fail to see why they are being tipped for a good season.Id wait until the transfer window is shut before making predictions but as it stands i think we will be 7th or 8th given the squad we have.

HibbyAndy
22-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Hibs wont get relegated, Neither will we be challenging for a european place, A season of mediocre and mid table ahead.