PDA

View Full Version : The Great Adventure

derekduval
22-07-2011, 08:02 AM
One of my favourite seasons following hibs was our 'great adventure' in the 1st division. Would a repeat be that bad? Ok would lose face and money but do we have any of either anyway? Pro's
cheaper games
all games 3 pm no tv moving fixtures
no old firm
different opposition and grounds to visit (is there still terracing in the 1st)
feel good factor?
winning mentality
might win something (is the B&Q cup still on the go?)

:confused: Discuss

Beefster
22-07-2011, 08:05 AM
One of my favourite seasons following hibs was our 'great adventure' in the 1st division. Would a repeat be that bad? Ok would lose face and money but do we have any of either anyway? Pro's
cheaper games
no old firm
feel good factor?
winning mentality

I enjoyed that season too but we overspent as a result of trying to get out of it and stop it re-occurring. We wouldn't be able to do that again so I'd imagine that it wouldn't be such a joy if it happened again.

MSK
22-07-2011, 08:22 AM
cheaper games
no old firm
feel good factor?
winning mentality

:confused: DiscussYou are kidding eh ..?

Jeez ..I hope those who are in a paranoid state after the CC will he wont he & Sheridan debacle dont read this thread or they will be reaching for the ropes !!! ....:panic:

easty
22-07-2011, 08:30 AM
Winning the 1st Divison was really fun at the time....but, even though I was young, I remember the season before when we were relegated. I wouldn't want a season like that ever again. I had wee tears running down my wee face watching Dundee Utd beat us at Easter Road.

Broken Gnome
22-07-2011, 08:36 AM
Our squad's bad enough, some people want to see an even worse one next year. Nice to see that we still have our humour.

greenginger
22-07-2011, 08:43 AM
A couple of seasons in Div 1 would see us become another Dundee or Partick Th.

Don't even think it has any pluses, it would be a disaster ! We definitely need a 2 or 3 experienced pro's immediately or it will be another season like last one without the cushion of a Hamilton Accies.

And Rod wanted to reduce size of the top the top league. Sometimes I think he's losing it. :confused:

Jay
22-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Jeez we've not even kicked a ball this season yet this isnt even funny any more :bitchy:

Saorsa
22-07-2011, 08:53 AM
cheaper games
no old firm
feel good factor?
winning mentality

:confused: Discussyes

marinello59
22-07-2011, 09:00 AM
yes
:agree:

(So we can agree about something. :greengrin)

Saorsa
22-07-2011, 09:05 AM
:agree:

(So we can agree about something. :greengrin):aok::flag: :greengrin

HIBERNIAN-0762
22-07-2011, 09:06 AM
This has to be the most idiotic thread ever started!

WTF?

Why would any self respecting Hibernian fan want to get relegated? :rolleyes:

Can't wait till the school holidays are finished! :confused:

Lago
22-07-2011, 09:09 AM
cheaper games
no old firm
feel good factor?
winning mentality

Be careful as you may get what you wish & I don't think many would like it. Just noticed that 3 of the Daily Express pundits have Hibs down as reegation favorits.

BEEJ
22-07-2011, 09:10 AM
This has to be the most idiotic thread ever started!

WTF?

Why would any self respecting Hibernian fan want to get relegated? :rolleyes:

Can't wait till the school holidays are finished! :confused:
Spot on! Truly bizarre.

Either a wind-up or a call for help. :greengrin

Hibs Class
22-07-2011, 11:56 AM
:crazy: :troll:

Bishop Hibee
22-07-2011, 12:30 PM
One of my best seasons. I spent it in Australia :greengrin Although I saw the 1-2 v Stranraer game before I left :brickwall

Sir David Gray
22-07-2011, 02:27 PM
This isn't the first time that I've seen a Hibs fan on here talking about the merits of being relegated and spending a season in the first division.

I really don't get where this idea has come from, in fact it actually beggars belief. If people think that things are bad just now (which, admittedly, they are) then just wait and see how bad they would become if we went down. People often go on about how it would be no bad thing if we spent a season in the first division playing different teams and going to different grounds.

Who says that it would just be a season?

You only have to look at other clubs who were formerly in the SPL to see that it's not always the case that you'll come straight back up.

This coming season will be the 7th season in a row that Dundee will have spent outside of the top flight since they were relegated and in that time, they've also been in administration and very close to going out of business altogether.

Livingston will spend their 6th consecutive season outside of the top flight this year and in that time, they've been relegated to the third division due to also going into administration.

Partick Thistle's last spell in the SPL was eight years ago and since then they've gone on to be relegated to the second division, although they are now back in the first division.

Falkirk came close last season to making an instant return to the SPL but ultimately failed and will now spend their second successive season outside of the SPL.

Dunfermline have only just managed to get back into the SPL this season after an absence of four years.

I'm almost certain that if you asked the fans of those clubs, they would bite your hand off if you offered them a place in the SPL, instead of the "adventure" of going to new grounds and playing different teams in the lower leagues.

Last season's performance was horrendous at Hibs but being relegated would really be unthinkable and could very well lead to disastrous consequences.

KeithTheHibby
23-07-2011, 03:28 PM
I am going to cut the OP a bit of slack here as I think they may be too reflective of what happened that season and the subsequent couple of years.

We didn't exactly buy our way out of the first division however we did have the best players and largest crowds by a country mile.

I do look back fondly at our time in the 1st division as we won a rediculous amount of games and yes, going to grounds like Cappielow and Firhill were a novelty but would I like to do that again? No thanks.

Wilson
23-07-2011, 03:40 PM
I am going to cut the OP a bit of slack here as I think they may be too reflective of what happened that season and the subsequent couple of years.

We didn't exactly buy our way out of the first division however we did have the best players and largest crowds by a country mile.

I do look back fondly at our time in the 1st division as we won a rediculous amount of games and yes, going to grounds like Cappielow and Firhill were a novelty but would I like to do that again? No thanks.

Didn't we make a big noise at the time about how we weren't cutting our wages from what we were paying in the premier league? Revenue drops (tv money) and we pay a level of wages above that which befits the division we're in. Add that to the fact we weren't all that quiet on the signing front and I think it IS safe to say we bought our way out of the division. I don't have the figures but I'm willing to bet we operated at a good loss to get out of dodge.

if it happened again the scenario would be different. There would be cuts this time. Severe cuts. I doubt we'd speculate in the hope of going straight back up either. It would be a much more even playing field for the promotion hopefuls down there. I wouldn't count on one season in the wilderness...

smurf
23-07-2011, 03:42 PM
HATED the entire season. Took no satisfaction in defeating some of the crap we did. It was an embarrassment from start to finish.

We are Hibernian Football Club.

We should always be challenging at the topend of the league structure. Always.

Relegation would be disastrous.

Since90+2
23-07-2011, 03:47 PM
HATED the entire season. Took no satisfaction in defeating some of the crap we did. It was an embarrassment from start to finish.

We are Hibernian Football Club.

We should always be challenging at the topend of the league structure. Always.

Relegation would be disastrous.

And how often in our recent history has that been the case?

smurf
23-07-2011, 04:49 PM
And how often in our recent history has that been the case?

Not enough.

I expect Hibs to be competing every year for 3rd-5th.

More times than not we won't get 3rd. That i also accept and expect.