PDA

View Full Version : From one of the St Johnstone Backroom Staff

RIP
21-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Son Cammy's old coach phoned me tonight to fix up a friendly between son's old team and his new one Crieff Juniors. His mate runs the St Johnstone Pro Youth team. The coach is a Saints ST and he knows I'm a Hibby

I said "You got big Sheridan then" and he said straight out

"Aye you wanted to sign him and CSKA would only let him go on loan"

I said did he know that straight up. He said "Aye, just come from McDiarmid"

HibsMax
21-07-2011, 05:47 PM
Source?

(yes, I'm kidding). :wink:

Cropley10
21-07-2011, 05:49 PM
Son Cammy's old coach phoned me tonight to fix up a friendly between son's old team and his new one Crieff Juniors. His mate runs the St Johnstone Pro Youth team. The coach is a Saints ST and he knows I'm a Hibby

So what was that about needing an extra £50k about then (earlier today)?

Top Pans Hibby
21-07-2011, 05:52 PM

Oh well, that's all right then. Everything is now rosy in the garden..................

Dalianwanda
21-07-2011, 05:53 PM
So what was that about needing an extra £50k about then (earlier today)?

Maybe an unsubstantiated rumour?

smurf
21-07-2011, 06:01 PM
If true why did CC say what he has in the statement?

matty_f
21-07-2011, 06:11 PM
If true why did CC say what he has in the statement?

What bit doesn't add up?

My take is that once it became apparent that we weren't going to sign him as our player, we opted out of the deal. We definitely wanted him up to some point today. If what 325Easter Road is saying is true (and I have absolutely no reason to doubt him), then it makes sense.

smurf
21-07-2011, 06:28 PM
What bit doesn't add up?

My take is that once it became apparent that we weren't going to sign him as our player, we opted out of the deal. We definitely wanted him up to some point today. If what 325Easter Road is saying is true (and I have absolutely no reason to doubt him), then it makes sense.

CC said he wants players who "...want to be at Hibernian" and that he has other "...Preferred options".

On the former point if it was a case of his current club not wanting to sell him preferring to loan him how does that equate with what CC has said.

On his latter point I just don't believe him. Because it completely contradicts his recent on the record quotes on the player.

Removed
21-07-2011, 06:33 PM
CC said he wants players who "...want to be at Hibernian" and that he has other "...Preferred options".On the former point if it was a case of his current club not wanting to sell him preferring to loan him how does that equate with what CC has said.On his latter point I just don't believe him. Because it completely contradicts his recent on the record quotes on the player. :agree: I don't believe anything Calderwood says. They've ****ed it up but think we must zip up the back.Are we seriously meant to believe that at no time Sheridan's agent never said that cska only wanted a loan deal if that is true.

MyJo
21-07-2011, 06:37 PM
CC said he wants players who "...want to be at Hibernian"

he doesnt want a player on loan that will be angling for a better move halfway through the season leaving us back at square one looking for another player in the january window which is a pain in the backside

and that he has other "...Preferred options".

Junior Agogo who will sign a permanent contract or another Loan deal that will commit for a full season?

On the former point if it was a case of his current club not wanting to sell him preferring to loan him how does that equate with what CC has said.

Preferred options doesnt have to relate to be "better players". A preferred option is a player who is willing to commit to Hibs for the full season, not a 6 month loan deal

On his latter point I just don't believe him. Because it completely contradicts his recent on the record quotes on the player.

Calderwood never said that Sheridan was a rubbish player, just that he has other options that he wanted to explore and we we're no longer interested on the terms that were being put down. Again, nothing to do with the quality of player on offer but everything to do with the structure of the deal being offered.

St Johnstone clearly didnt mind a 6 month deal while we wanted either a permanent deal or at least the full season from a loan which is where it has broken down. Nowt to do with the money being offered or the quality of the player from the sounds of it.

matty_f
21-07-2011, 06:38 PM
CC said he wants players who "...want to be at Hibernian" and that he has other "...Preferred options".

Maybe CS wasn't keen on a permanent move as well (I presume because it would have involved a fairly sizable pay cut)? It seems to be that the goalposts have been moved by either CS or Sofia at some point in the process, and that's caused an about turn in Hibs' interest.

As to what you believe on the latter point, nothing I say will change that.

smurf
21-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Maybe CS wasn't keen on a permanent move as well (I presume because it would have involved a fairly sizable pay cut)? It seems to be that the goalposts have been moved by either CS or Sofia at some point in the process, and that's caused an about turn in Hibs' interest.

As to what you believe on the latter point, nothing I say will change that.

I admire your absolute defence of CC and the board. I'm sure on many occasions its a justified defence.

Perhaps this is one instance but looking at CC's comments this week on CS I'm sorry to completely disagree.

Would you not concede however that this pre season has been a complete public relations disaster from our club - working on the basis that our PR is with the purpose of communicating positivity to us supporters?

And I don't accept that that is caused by forums such as this as I'm finding non internet folk within the Hibs community are perhaps even more disenchanted...

matty_f
21-07-2011, 06:51 PM
I admire your absolute defence of CC and the board. I'm sure on many occasions its a justified defence.

Perhaps this is one instance but looking at CC's comments this week on CS I'm sorry to completely disagree.

Would you not concede however that this pre season has been a complete public relations disaster from our club - working on the basis that our PR is with the purpose of communicating positivity to us supporters?

And I don't accept that that is caused by forums such as this as I'm finding non internet folk within the Hibs community are perhaps even more disenchanted...

I agree totally that this pre-season has been a PR disaster for Hibs, I think the board have failed to engage the support as well as they needed to, I think Calderwood's honesty has left folk switched off, and I think that people's lust for hanging the club out to dry has added fuel to the fire. My opinion.

I don't see how I defended the board with my last post, either - just offered up an alternative view to yours.

Judas Iscariot
21-07-2011, 07:17 PM
A loan striker is better than nae striker... Unless yer that Hertz welt Potter :agree:

persevere1875
21-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Signing Sheridan on a six month loan deal without a guaranteed option to extend that loan would be suicide IMO, and if that was the deal on the table then I think CC and Hibs did well to walk away from the deal, regardless of what position we are presently in with regards to striker options, the last thing we as a club need is to tie up some of our budget on a player who's going to walk away in January in a transfer window which is well known for being difficult to get decent players in at a decent price, the windows currently still open and IF hibs were prepared to buy Sheridan outright then that means we still have money to do a deal elsewhere.

R'Albin
21-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Signing Sheridan on a six month loan deal without a guaranteed option to extend that loan would be suicide IMO, and if that was the deal on the table then I think CC and Hibs did well to walk away from the deal, regardless of what position we are presently in with regards to striker options, the last thing we as a club need is to tie up some of our budget on a player who's going to walk away in January in a transfer window which is well known for being difficult to get decent players in at a decent price, the windows currently still open and IF hibs were prepared to buy Sheridan outright then that means we still have money to do a deal elsewhere.

:agree:

ArabHibee
21-07-2011, 07:22 PM
:agree: I don't believe anything Calderwood says. They've ****ed it up but think we must zip up the back.Are we seriously meant to believe that at no time Sheridan's agent never said that cska only wanted a loan deal if that is true.

My source, who was speaking to CS agent the day after the East Fife friendly said he would probably be more than likely be signed on a loan deal as Hibs couldn't afford the 10k a week wages.

greenlex
21-07-2011, 07:33 PM
My source, who was speaking to CS agent the day after the East Fife friendly said he would probably be more than likely be signed on a loan deal as Hibs couldn't afford the 10k a week wages. Pesumably Hibs wanting a minimum 1 year loan deal and either CSKA or Sheridan himself only commiting to 6 months. Would explain the statement ftom Calderwood.

Future17
21-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Perhaps the £50k was the fee that CSKA were demanding for the loan.

It's fairly common practice in most European countries to pay for loan deals. It's especially common when the player is not a youngster being farmed out for experience.

Let's not forget that CS is CSKA's highest paid player on £14k p/w. Therefore, assuming Hibs were only covering 1/10th of his wages and some of the 14k is performance related bonuses which he would no longer qualify for, CSKA would still be paying him in the region of £10k p/w.

It's reasonable to assume that to agree to a 6-month loan deal the least they would demand would be a fee which equates to 1 month's wage cost to them.

thebakerboy
21-07-2011, 07:52 PM
I posted elsewhere about this and feel after reading CC's statement a couple of times it strikes me that this has nothing to do with money or football it seems personal. Why was it CC who is on official site about this and the wording. I think CC thought we were being pissed about ( whether by Sofia or Sheridan or his agent I don't know) and decided stuff it we don't need this I'll get somebody else.I say this because he seemed quite keen and then dropped it like a hot potato.:cgwa

RIP
21-07-2011, 08:33 PM
People close to Cillian appear to have had hopes that his move to Hibs would have been a signing, rather than a loan deal

In his home country
http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/soccer_irish/37833/

Calderwood was hoping CSKA were "willing to do something with his contract" to allow us to sign him permanently
http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/Hibs-striker-Sodje-to-miss.6799526.jp

All the reports I've been reading mention transfers and fees and offers from Hibs to Sofia. I can't recall EVER seeing any quotes from Hibs that we were considering a loan deal
http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Cillian-Sheridan-keen-on-Hibs.6804932.jp

RIP
22-07-2011, 06:32 AM

Confirmed today at work here in Perth. St J thought we were going to landy CS perm. At the 11th hour CSKA changed their minds to a loan

A shock yes - but less of a shock than getting cuffed 5-1 at McDiarmid I would suggest. They are hardly a diddy team and have a multi-millionaire backer that can put sweeteners such as luxury homes and cars on the table

Apparently it was all conducted on EBay so we had no chance of a rebid

Beefster
22-07-2011, 07:19 AM
Confirmed today at work here in Perth. St J thought we were going to landy CS perm. At the 11th hour CSKA changed their minds to a loan

A shock yes - but less of a shock than getting cuffed 5-1 at McDiarmid I would suggest. They are hardly a diddy team and have a multi-millionaire backer that can put sweeteners such as luxury homes and cars on the table

Apparently it was all conducted on EBay so we had no chance of a rebid

Did the player tell you any of this because, if so, it directly contradicts what he told the Scotsman? If not, should we believe the player himself or a youth coach?

The bit in bold is straw-clutching at its finest. Hibs are hardly a diddy team and we have a multi-millionaire as an owner (who doesn't invest in the team in exactly the same way as Geoff Brown). We also have attendances somewhere between 2-3 times higher and a stadium double the size of theirs.

leither17
22-07-2011, 07:32 AM
O
Did the player tell you any of this because, if so, it directly contradicts what he told the Scotsman? If not, should we believe the player himself or a youth coach?The bit in bold is straw-clutching at its finest. Hibs are hardly a diddy team and we have a multi-millionaire as an owner (who doesn't invest in the team in exactly the same way as Geoff Brown). We also have attendances somewhere between 2-3 times higher and a stadium double the size of theirs. Don't think it was Hibs he was saying is a diddy team some referred to the saints as a diddy team earlier in the thread

Beefster
22-07-2011, 07:39 AM
O Don't think it was Hibs he was saying is a diddy team some referred to the saints as a diddy team earlier in the thread

Yeah, he was making the point that losing out to St Johnstone was no great shame because they're not a 'diddy team'. I was just pointing out that we're a bigger club.

Mili Tant
22-07-2011, 07:52 AM
CC said he wants players who "...want to be at Hibernian" Hypocritical, to say the least, coming from someone who has consistently failed to commit to the club. There will be no progress while he remains in charge awaiting better things. The indecision by the board has made this the worst prepared we have ever been in the 45 years I have been going to Easter Road. Commit or get out Calderwood and Petrie.

Speedway
22-07-2011, 08:24 AM
Every season is the worst ever for pre season results or preparation or fitness or squad size or signings or appointing a no-name Ipswich coach as manager.

Everything is always the worst ever.

This is the worst thread I've ever read on .net....until the next one.

lapsedhibee
22-07-2011, 10:23 AM
This is the third consecutive post saying that Things Are The Worst They've Ever Been.

That makes this the worst ever sequence of such posts in the whole history of hibs.net and I can't understand why the admin pricks haven't fallen on their swords.

greenlex
22-07-2011, 10:24 AM
CC said he wants players who "...want to be at Hibernian" Hypocritical, to say the least, coming from someone who has consistently failed to commit to the club. There will be no progress while he remains in charge awaiting better things. The indecision by the board has made this the worst prepared we have ever been in the 45 years I have been going to Easter Road. Commit or get out Calderwood and Petrie.The board have been anything but indecisive.Where is an example of this?

RIP
22-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Did the player tell you any of this because, if so, it directly contradicts what he told the Scotsman? If not, should we believe the player himself or a youth coach?

The bit in bold is straw-clutching at its finest. Hibs are hardly a diddy team and we have a multi-millionaire as an owner (who doesn't invest in the team in exactly the same way as Geoff Brown). We also have attendances somewhere between 2-3 times higher and a stadium double the size of theirs.

Aye but they finished above us last season and have built up their squad shrewdly under Coyle and McInnes

All the quotes from Easter Road pointed to us signing Sheridan on a transfer but he confirmed today in the Scotsman that CKSA thought that St Johnstone's LOAN offer was better

Are people deliberately reading this the wrong way in order to take a pop?

greenlex
22-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Aye but they finished above us last season and have built up their squad shrewdly under Coyle and McInnesAll the quotes from Easter Road pointed to us signing Sheridan on a transfer but he confirmed today in the Scotsman that CKSA thought that St Johnstone's LOAN offer was betterAre people deliberately reading this the wrong way in order to take a pop? It would seem that bashing the board and Petrie in particular is more important than most things.

Beefster
22-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Aye but they finished above us last season and have built up their squad shrewdly under Coyle and McInnes

All the quotes from Easter Road pointed to us signing Sheridan on a transfer but he confirmed today in the Scotsman that CKSA thought that St Johnstone's LOAN offer was better

Sheridan specifically says "Hibs' offer was a bit less".

It would seem that bashing the board and Petrie in particular is more important than most things.

Hibs shouldn't be losing players that they want to St Johnstone, irrespective of them finishing two places above us. When/if it happens, the club should, rightly, be criticised.

They get praised for good things like the Calderwood statement and the O'Connor signing (two recent examples) so I don't see why they shouldn't be open to criticism for things that they get wrong.

BEEJ
22-07-2011, 10:55 AM

I think you're the one who is misreading the quotes, 325:

He said: "It was out of my hands in terms of having to choose where to go. St Johnstone made an offer that Sofia were happy with and Hibs' offer was a bit less. Sofia went with the better offer and my hands were pretty much tied.

It's not that Hibs offer was 'different' - it was 'a little less'. Please don't suggest that we made an offer to take the player on a permanent contract that was actually lower than St. Johnstone offered to take him on loan!

blackpoolhibs
22-07-2011, 10:56 AM

Wages at his bugarian club £14k a week, and we were going to buy him????? No i dont think so? Sheridan actually said St Johnstones loan offer was better. Now as much as you might want to believe your pal, i will believe what comes out the mouth of the player involved.

BEEJ
22-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Wages at his bugarian club £14k a week, and we were going to buy him?????
:agree: I share your sense of disbelief that a permanent deal was ever on the cards.

blackpoolhibs
22-07-2011, 11:01 AM
:agree: I share your sense of disbelief that a permanent deal was ever on the cards.

This could be cleared up easily, someone should just ask Calderwood outright, we all know he likes to be honest when addressing any questions put to him.:wink:

Jay
22-07-2011, 11:04 AM
This could be cleared up easily, someone should just ask Calderwood outright, we all know he likes to be honest when addressing any questions put to him.:wink:

What lies has he told? Lies you can prove were lies and not lies you can twist to be untruths to suit your case.

I am not a fan of his and hope he gets the hell away from our club asap but I honestly dont think he is a liar.

blackpoolhibs
22-07-2011, 11:13 AM
What lies has he told? Lies you can prove were lies and not lies you can twist to be untruths to suit your case.

I am not a fan of his and hope he gets the hell away from our club asap but I honestly dont think he is a liar.

I have not said he's a liar, but he still wont come out and tell us straight he's staying. His latest interview was still evasive, honest but evasive. What good is this achieving?

Jay
22-07-2011, 11:20 AM
I have not said he's a liar, but he still wont come out and tell us straight he's staying. His latest interview was still evasive, honest but evasive. What good is this achieving?

I think its obvious he wants away - do you think he would be allowed to say this and if he did what good would it do? Do you not think he is as frustrated as us? There is a job sitting waiting for him that he wants, he doesnt want his current job but he cant hand in a months notice and go like the rest of us.

I am not saying I feel sorry for him, he got himself into this situation but he surely has to watch what he says and we cant fault him for that. If he says he wants to stay just to appease us and then a deal is agreed this place would explode! If he says he wants to go and the deal doesnt happen can you imagine the abuse he would suffer week in week out. He also has his career to think about and his reputation.

I think honest but evasive is better than a lot of managers would be giving.

Speedway
22-07-2011, 11:20 AM

Because he ain't staying if there's a better offer G. Neither is any other manager at any other club under the same circumstances.

blackpoolhibs
22-07-2011, 11:37 AM
Because he ain't staying if there's a better offer G. Neither is any other manager at any other club under the same circumstances.

Right lets get this straight, i know managers and players will move on to bigger and better things. What i wont accept is a player or a manager using us as Calderwood has imo to fill in while his mate looked for a job elsewhere. He knew Hughton was getting punted from Newcastle, and he'd be following. Imo he took the Hibs job to fill in until such time as Hughton got another job. This is wrong, he is taking the piss.

He wants to leave, i firmly believe this. It looks like Birmingham wont pay the compensation, Calderwood still wont fully commit to us, so the uncertainty continues. He's had plenty of opportunities to say he's staying and wont be going anywhere, but wont.

9 months he's been at the club, grateful for the opportunity to manage Hibs, but honest enough to know there are other opportunities out there? We dont need to know this, we dont need to know his mind is on other things. The uncertainty is his fault and his fault alone. Even the players are affected by this, he says they are not but i have seen interviews with at least 2 players saying they hope he stays.

RIP
22-07-2011, 11:57 AM
http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Hibs-Colin-Calderwood-pulled-plug.6805749.jp

It plain as the nose on my face that Calderwood wanted a transfer on a one-year deal. It's no different to the O'Connor, Miller and Stokes signings in that the player would be prepared to earn a low wage in exchange for reviving their career. Nobody is going to pay Sheridan £14K a week any time soon and he knows it.

Our offer was for CSKA to release the player from his contract

CSKA's preference was a loan. The net worth was that St Johnstone were going to

Pay a loan fee up front
Pay some of his weekly wage (reportedly with Geoff Brown paying a proportion)

But he would remain a CSKA asset to sell as the Sofia club saw fit in 6 months time

Hibs wanted an outright buy and our offer was to release Sheridan from his contract. The net worth of our offer seemed less to CSKA so they went down the loan route

How is my version any less credible than the alternatives put forward?

BEEJ
22-07-2011, 12:07 PM
http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Hibs-Colin-Calderwood-pulled-plug.6805749.jp

It plain as the nose on my face that Calderwood wanted a transfer on a one-year deal. It's no different to the O'Connor, Miller and Stokes signings in that the player would be prepared to earn a low wage in exchange for reviving their career. Nobody is going to pay Sheridan £14K a week any time soon and he knows it.

Pay a loan fee up front

But he would remain a CSKA asset to sell as the Sofia club saw fit in 6 months time

Hibs wanted an outright buy and our offer was to release Sheridan from his contract. The net worth of our offer seemed less to CSKA so they went down the loan route

He said: "It was out of my hands in terms of having to choose where to go. St Johnstone made an offer that Sofia were happy with and Hibs' offer was a bit less. Sofia went with the better offer and my hands were pretty much tied.

So taking this quote as valid, according to your version, we made an offer to CSKA to take the player on a permanent contract that was in fact lower than St. Johnstone offered to take him on loan?

greenlex
22-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Sheridan specifically says "Hibs' offer was a bit less".

Hibs shouldn't be losing players that they want to St Johnstone, irrespective of them finishing two places above us. When/if it happens, the club should, rightly, be criticised.

They get praised for good things like the Calderwood statement and the O'Connor signing (two recent examples) so I don't see why they shouldn't be open to criticism for things that they get wrong.

Hibs offer may have been a bit less but over a longer period. A year long loan deal or even a permanent deal making Sheridan ours to sell in 6 months not CSKA's to sell in 6 months. Who knows? Time to move on. To put it into perspective the player is essentially a Celtic fringe player who hasnt cut it in Bulgaria. In his previous loan periods he hardly set the heather on fire. Every player has a value to a squad and if Calderwood thinks what CSKA wanted exceeded that value then its right that he pulled out.
Personally I dont think whatever the reason he didnt sign is worth having a heart attack over. I am not suggesting you are to be fair.

FitbaFolkKen
22-07-2011, 12:14 PM
I would tend to agree with 325 here, that we wanted him permanently. There is nothing there to say that we offered to buy, or offered a separate loan agreement. It is quite possible we offered both with the loan agreement being poor to try andforce them into letting us buy him. St j put a better loan offer in and that's it done, it makes sense for them to Market the player for a few months to get a sale rather than writing off hid value and giving him to us effectively.

The real question I would ask is if you were building a team, irrespective of whether CC wants to stay or not, would you sign someone for 6 months with 6 weeks if the window open? Or would you take your chances and find another striker on a longer deal?

c31
22-07-2011, 12:43 PM

Pay a loan fee up front

Whatever the reason it's been a PR disaster for Hibs. Again.....

The whole board are pathetic and should be replaced by professional people who have at least an idea of what business they are in, a player we have publically stated we want to sign signs for St. Johnstone it should not happen whatever the reasons.

This is biggest season for Hibs maybe in our history if we want to retain long term fans as in my experience most are totally hacked off with all things Hibs, changes within management at our club need to be made ASAP..

spike220
22-07-2011, 12:51 PM
This thread makes sense of the goings on, I was statring to wonder what was going on, but I can Hibs want some stability restored now.

GGTTH

Beefster
22-07-2011, 01:37 PM

Because the Evening News confirms that we wanted him on loan. By my reckoning, I make your version just plain wrong.

Which also means that your source doesn't know the full story, if any of it.

Future17
22-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Even after this dies down, every time Sheridan scores for Saints this season, this thread is going to be brought back to life. :rolleyes:

Stevie Reid
22-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Because the Evening News confirms that we wanted him on loan. By my reckoning, I make your version just plain wrong.

Which also means that your source doesn't know the full story, if any of it.

To be fair, the EN also says that we pulled the plug on the deal. Not many people are believing that.