PDA

View Full Version : Sheridan signs for ST Johnstone...WTF??

Pages : [1] 2 3

Dr Jimmy
21-07-2011, 01:28 PM
http://www.perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk/newsitemsdetail.php?param=1592

Hibeescott
21-07-2011, 01:30 PM

WTF was my reaction also! How on earth have we lost out to St Johnstone!

MountcastleHibs
21-07-2011, 01:31 PM
WTF was my reaction also! How on earth have we lost out to St Johnstone! Maybe we didn't lose out to St Johnstone.

HibsMax
21-07-2011, 01:35 PM
WTF is exactly what I thought too. He seems like a player that we could really use and within our budget (I'm guessing).

joebakerforever
21-07-2011, 01:36 PM

Well they were a superior team to us last season as reflected by their SPL finishing position :devil:

TBH unless he has improved dramatically, I would have thought there is better out there to go for.

blackpoolhibs
21-07-2011, 01:37 PM
OMG, oh well the search goes on.:rolleyes:

RoscoHibby
21-07-2011, 01:38 PM
See here: http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110721/player-update_2262950_2398136

Maybe trying to save face? Or something been said/happened in the background.

flash
21-07-2011, 01:39 PM
I reckon we will have a striker in for Sunday and ultimately two more.

Thecat23
21-07-2011, 01:40 PM
For everyone that said calm down it's fine we'll get him it's only a starting offer. What you make of this? Petrie is to blame for this and anyone who thinks otherwise is sadly mistaken. To lose out to them is unreal.

Stevie Reid
I would imagine that we've pulled out because hopefully there is something more appealling available. St. Johnstone have never been mentioned in this at all.

Would liked to have had him but can live with us not getting him.

Broken Gnome

I think we have to now.

Whatever's happened here, if we go into Sunday with just O'Connor (even Agogo) then this is a PR disaster. And most won't even want to listen to Hibs' side of the story.

Twa Cairpets

Partly because the player played there on loan for a period, didnt he - comfortable in surroundings etc.

Albion Hibs
21-07-2011, 01:43 PM

I think we will have another striker in place for saturday.

Disappointing to lose on out Sheridan, albeit I missed his games for Hibs so cant really comment on how good a player he is or may be.

Phil MaGlass
21-07-2011, 01:44 PM
I hope tae god its because we have another striker lined up, because IF all it came down to was penny pinching then all I can say is thank REMOVED ah didnae buy a season ticket and REMOVED you very much tache man.

Cropley10
21-07-2011, 01:45 PM
I think we will have another striker in place for saturday.

Disappointing to lose on out Sheridan, albeit I missed his games for Hibs so cant really comment on how good a player he is or may be.

Pure conjecture on your part - or is your thought based on anything you know?

Bobby's Cinema
See here: http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110721/player-update_2262950_2398136

:agree: Very strange. For both announcements to be made so soon thats how it appears to me. Hard to believe.

We need to be given a lift very shortly. The feeling on here and otherwise the day O'connor signed is a distant memory already :hnet:

pacorosssco

Strange one and I dont think for a moment this is financial on Hibs part. Maybe hes been loaned by CSKA to put in shop window and Hibs didnt want such an arrangement as we have other orons in the fire. Dont think hes fit and maybe hes not that into playing for us. Best avoided in this case and St Johnston are welcome to him. Agree more behind the scenes going on than we know at mo but sounds to me like we dogged a bullet. Better than him in the market and cant believe he got 14k a week in Bulgaria .

We do need players ASAP but unfortunately well prob have to wait until end of window to see what cards are played

Sproule up top against a slow Celtic defence?

Wilson
21-07-2011, 01:46 PM
For everyone that said calm down it's fine we'll get him it's only a starting offer. What you make of this? Petrie is to blame for this and anyone who thinks otherwise is sadly mistaken. To lose out to them is unreal.

I imagine that if he was our only option, our last throw of the dice at getting a player in and the messiah that is going to save our season, then we might not have allowed ourselves to be outbid.

Perhaps our starting offer was our only offer. Just because you heard otherwise on here does not mean you heard the truth.

Perhaps calming down isn't a bad suggestion.

Captain Trips
21-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Perhaps something put him off coming here that was not money related?

Brummie_Hibs
21-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Melodramatic Hibs fans?

Wilson
21-07-2011, 01:48 PM

Maybe he mistakenly tackled Jimmy Scott in training.

GreenOnions
21-07-2011, 01:49 PM
TBH - irrespective of the formation CC is planning to play I woud be surprised if we were to sign Agogo and Sheridan. That would give us four main strikers with first team expeience all on good money and all fighting for one or two places.

For a club such as Hibs that would be a lot of wage on players who would be sitting on the bench most weeks while there are other areas of the team with insuficient strength in depth.

It would be nice to have that but maybe more likely CC would be planning to have O'Connor and Sodge plus one other experienced striker backed up by a youngster or two?

KeithTheHibby
21-07-2011, 01:49 PM

Totally trying to save face. Yesterday CC wanted him, now he doesn't???

Those words have been put into his mouth, no other way to describe it.

Sheridan wanted to come to Hibs, there is no doubt about that so how the **** has he ended up with those diddies???

I suppose we all know the answer really....

one day maybe...
21-07-2011, 01:50 PM
If CC really wanted this player and that is an if, then Hibernian FC should hang their heads in shame that we cannot compete with St Johnstone for a player we had on trial here for over a week. If it is the case and CC did want him, then it maybe explains the reason why he is so desperate to get the + out of Hibs.
On a personal note and I hate to say it but I am seriously losing the affection I have held for Hibernian for so long. I will never choose or court another, but I may just call it a day bothering about them. :grr:

Andy74
21-07-2011, 01:50 PM
If St Johnstone got him you can be sure that we've decided this deal wasn't for us.

Captain Trips
21-07-2011, 01:51 PM
Melodramatic Hibs fans?

At least there are fans in stadium though at ER in comparison to Perth, and no I do not think for 1min any fans put him off as fans of most clubs by and large are same.

Albion Hibs

Perhaps he has a house, family, same sex lover in Perth and would just rather be there. Whilst in any deal the clubs could agree every detail, if the player decides to go elsewhere then there is nothing that could be done about it.

Perhaps we was put off by our fans, constant booing of our own players, manager etc?

JimBHibees
Might be complete nonsense but is there any chance that Celtc might have been able to have a say in who he went too. Maybe they didnt want him playing against them on Sunday, sounds a little far fetched but if they were owed 200k by Sofia maybe they might have been able to throw their weight about. Certainly sounds an embarressing one from Hibs point of view and not exactly a boost prior to Sunday however these things happen and hopefully we have better coming in, young Airey for a year loan would be better IMO.

Thecat23
Strange one and I dont think for a moment this is financial on Hibs part. Maybe hes been loaned by CSKA to put in shop window and Hibs didnt want such an arrangement as we have other orons in the fire. Dont think hes fit and maybe hes not that into playing for us. Best avoided in this case and St Johnston are welcome to him. Agree more behind the scenes going on than we know at mo but sounds to me like we dogged a bullet. Better than him in the market and cant believe he got 14k a week in Bulgaria .

We do need players ASAP but unfortunately well prob have to wait until end of window to see what cards are played

Sproule up top against a slow Celtic defence?

You really believe that? He looked good to me to be fair.

Bostonhibby
21-07-2011, 01:52 PM

At least we have East Mains, the balance sheet etc, unless we truly didn't want him this kind of tells you the order is changing again, previously we couldn't compete with (insert names here) now it includes St. Johnstone, still we probably have Andrex finest bog roll in all loo's associated with the club for the coming season and the board and directors costs are more than likely to rise rather than fall, again, maybe we are planning another tier on the East for the cobwebs to build up on. :wink:

Captain Trips
21-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Perhaps he has a house, family, same sex lover in Perth and would just rather be there. Whilst in any deal the clubs could agree every detail, if the player decides to go elsewhere then there is nothing that could be done about it.

Perhaps we was put off by our fans, constant booing of our own players, manager etc?

Why bother coming in at all then? no I think you will find fans of all clubs boo and moan, there seems to be a thought we are worse we are as bad as everyone else no better or worse. If players are choosing St J over us we have problems.

Hibernia Na Eir
21-07-2011, 01:53 PM
cant say i'll shed a tear he didnt come to us....

Duffys13
21-07-2011, 01:54 PM
I hope tae god its because we have another striker lined up, because IF all it came down to was penny pinching then all I can say is thank fu-- ah didnae buy a season ticket and fu-- you very much tache man.

I am gonna put my head in the sand and believe that we have other - better targets and that they will be brought in ASAP! This is only because I don't want to believe the other side that St Johnstone offered better terms as that would put me at an all time Hibs low.

J-C
21-07-2011, 01:55 PM

Plainly obvious here, we offer him a decent deal, he doesn't fancy coming here and CC wants players to come here cause they want to be here, not because it's an easy option for them,he was a decent player but no real loss.

stokesmessiah

FFS give over will you.

Who said we lost out to St J? How do you know that Hibs never walked away because they found something better or like has already been said on here maybe they did not want a loan deal (which incidentally you seem to have skipped over the fact they signed him on loan) just so he can bugger off at the end of the seaosn and we are back to square 1???

It's this kind of tripe that gets said on here and becomes a self perputating "FACT".

sleeping giant
Its ****** being a Hibs fan :greengrin

I don't really know what to make of this.

Maybe we seen/valued him as a squad player but SJ value him as their headline signing mainstay ?

Pretty deflated though tbh.

sigh

Andy74
Do you all seriously believe that in a fight for a player St Johynstone would win?

Bizarre. Seems like any excuse to think the worst you can about Hibs.

Seriously the amount of drama queens on here is getting silly.

Seems to be the only logical thing to me that Hibs pulled back for whatever reason.

Bostonhibby
Totally trying to save face. Yesterday CC wanted him, now he doesn't???

Those words have been put into his mouth, no other way to describe it.

Sheridan wanted to come to Hibs, there is no doubt about that so how the **** has he ended up with those diddies???

I suppose we all know the answer really....

:agree: Maybe CC is continuing to the the professional that he seems to be, all the Forest / Bham stuff aside, maybe its just dawned on him what managing on an RP budget really meant?

SteveHFC
21-07-2011, 01:56 PM
ROD PETRIE - can f*** off.

TheEastTerrace
Newspapers are not the gospel truth but this was uploaded online today with Calderwood quoted as stating that Hibs made an offer and Sheridan indicating that things had gone well. Therefore, somebody is talking BS as this article completely contradicts the Hibs' statement.

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Cillian-Sheridan-keen-on-Hibs.6804932.jp

Thecat23
I imagine that if he was our only option, our last throw of the dice at getting a player in and the messiah that is going to save our season, then we might not have allowed ourselves to be outbid.

Perhaps our starting offer was our only offer. Just because you heard otherwise on here does not mean you heard the truth.

Perhaps calming down isn't a bad suggestion.

I don't really take much notice to the papars or rumours mate, but i've heard from a player not at Hibs i must admit that we did want him and that money was the issue! I'm not angry i'm frustrated and to be honest getting fed up.

PeterboroHibee
If CC has targeted another player, someone he thinks will bring more to Hibs then I wont be too bothered. If we have lost out to St Johnstone purely on the club being too tight in terms of wages or fee then its an absolute disaster imo. This preseason has been a complete shambles, and a few days before our opening game of the season, what appeared to be our main target goes off to a smaller SPL club...

Also think its a bit rich CC talking about wanting players who are 100% commited to the club as hes yet to fully commit.

Col L
21-07-2011, 01:57 PM
We have lost out again because of Petrie's penny-pinching ways. That is a fact.

St Johnstone prepared to show a bit ambition and get a decent player while we sit and haggle.

We're becoming a club lacking ambition under Petrie. It's all about balancing the books, and the football has become an afterthought.

There's no point taking the attitude that we'll get someone else, that Sheridan isn't worth bothering about, if you're not worried that St Johnstone have gazumped Hibs then you should be. It shows you the mindset there now is at the club. The directors think small, and we'll go nowhere with that attitude.

Sorry to sound so pessimistic, but this is a truly embarrassing development.

Dalkeith
21-07-2011, 01:57 PM
I am gonna put my head in the sand and believe that we have other - better targets and that they will be brought in ASAP! This is only because I don't want to believe the other side that St Johnstone offered better terms as that would put me at an all time Hibs low.

we must have wanted him or wouldn't have put a bid in, maybe he didnt like what he saw at ER

truehibernian
21-07-2011, 01:58 PM
Quite a few interesting statements in the last two days. Calderwood and Hibs must have something lined up, as well as Agogo. The most telling remark in CC's statement is the 'bring more potency' line..............not the 'i want players who want to be at Hibernian'. Sheridan is a good player but perhaps something else has triggered CC and Hibs' interest. For me the most telling statement was one from Mick McCarthy regards Leigh Griffiths, saying that whilst he preferred him to go on loan at an English club, he would not rule out the right Scottish club........who knows, O'Connor, Airey, Griffiths, Sodje and Agogo..........wouldn't be a bad selection to choose from. Not saying I have any sources or anything, just thought McCarthy's statement quite strange. Airey speculation seems constant and Newcastle have said that they won't be loaning him until after their US tour.

Either way, good luck to Sheridan, but he is neither going to make or break our season. Good player though, wish him well at Saints.

HibsMax
21-07-2011, 01:59 PM

I don't think you are putting your head in the sand, what you said is a very real possibility.

The problem we have is that Hibs dealings are critiqued every step of the way, not once all the wheeling and dealing has been done. Maybe by the time Sunday comes we will have forgotten about CS because of different signings that have been made? I'm not saying that will happen but it's a possibility. I want us to get more players, we absolutely have to, but I think it's only fair to cast final judgement on Hibs dealings in the transfer market once the window is closed because by then we will have everyone we can get - whether we are a complete team or not. If the Hibs team looks like it does right now i.e., no more signings, then I will be disappointed. But while there is still time to improve the squad I just have to let the team do their thing.

Andy74
21-07-2011, 02:00 PM

St Johnstone prepared to show a bit ambition and get a decent player while we sit and haggle.

We're becoming a club lacking ambition under Petrie. It's all about balancing the books, and the football has become an afterthought.

There's no point taking the attitude that we'll get someone else, that Sheridan isn't worth bothering about, if you're not worried that St Johnstone have gazumped Hibs then you should be. It shows you the mindset there now is at the club. The directors think small, and we'll go nowhere with that attitude.

I give up.

HibsMax
21-07-2011, 02:00 PM
Also think its a bit rich CC talking about wanting players who are 100% commited to the club as hes yet to fully commit.

What do you expect him to say? His statement was right in line with what I would expect a manager to say. He's on a contract. He didn't walk out. But as I said elsewhere, I'm not getting into that debate again.

Albion Hibs
21-07-2011, 02:01 PM
Why bother coming in at all then? no I think you will find fans of all clubs boo and moan, there seems to be a thought we are worse we are as bad as everyone else no better or worse. If players are choosing St J over us we have problems.

Perhaps to raise the profile of the fact he is looking for another club, to give his agent the chance to play one of another? there could be countless reasons, you or I will never know, but in the usual .net fashion as he is a player that has been signed by another club, you can say we missed out if it makes you feel better.

As far as booing goes, I think you are kidding yourself. I missed the pre-season games but when I hear of fans booing at that, having a go at our manager and I saw all of last seasons reactions, from booing and jeering of our own just because he is a target (Nish), to booing a player because of a newspaper story (Miller) then I think we have a big problem at our club. If you dont think that is the case then your head is in the sand.

With regards to chosing one club over us as I said in my first post on this thread it could have come down to a number of reason, familiarity being the key one, looking like a better player alongside the St J squad, less pressure - again you will never know, but you can of course assume in the usual negative manor.

Captain Trips
we must have wanted him or wouldn't have put a bid in, maybe he didnt like what he saw at ER

IMo I agree, I think wages we could and should be able to compete with St Johnstone. CC must have wanted him if a bid was put in with less than a week of the transfer window, CS has decided Hibs for whatever reason are not for him so was he sold the club well enough? If he has/had other better options why are they not here before CS or now why try and buy CS if you have better options available?

CS is no world beater but I find this to be a bit messy IMO.

stokesmessiah

In order for something to be a fact you would need some evidence to back it up, i am guessing you have come prepared have you ???

Here come a :hnet:meltdown, the drama queens are having a field day.

Broken Gnome
21-07-2011, 02:02 PM
Do you all seriously believe that in a fight for a player St Johynstone would win?

Seems to be the only logical thing to me that Hibs pulled back for whatever reason.

Looking at it logically then no.

But on the face of it it confirms most people's stereotypes about the club, and is another setback. And still only one striker for Sunday. So when ideally we were looking at the likelihood of getting a decent name signing before Sunday to boost optimism and ticket sales, he's gone to a much lesser rival. You're probably quite right that it's not merely penny-pinching and the deal didn't ultimately suit Hibs, but you'd do well to understand that a LOT of people are going to be p!ssed off about this, and understandably so.

blackpoolhibs
Do you all seriously believe that in a fight for a player St Johynstone would win?Bizarre. Seems like any excuse to think the worst you can about Hibs.

I never used to think that, but today i have changed my mind. Calderwood has a cheek too only wanting players who want to play for Hibernian. :rolleyes:

Hibs made an offer, yet he's signed for St Johnstone. Our offer obviously was not as much. How many times do we hear players will sign for the money, the training ground and stadium mean nothing when wages are discussed? That seem to be the case imo.

HibsMax

You're right, it truly is embarrassing IF what you say is true. But maybe we didn't lose out, maybe we passed him over in preference for someone else? Time will tell.

Thecat23
FFS give over will you.

Who said we lost out to St J? How do you know that Hibs never walked away because they found something better or like has already been said on here maybe they did not want a loan deal (which incidentally you seem to have skipped over the fact they signed him on loan) just so he can bugger off at the end of the seaosn and we are back to square 1???

It's this kind of tripe that gets said on here and becomes a self perputating "FACT".

Ok lets talk about the loan deal. I'd much rather have him on loan than struggle to get a striker in. If we are looking at better i'll be first on to say well done CC and Petrie and take back what i say. But until then why should i not be blaming Petrie or CC? It's like you can't say nothing against the board without getting hammered for it. Sorry for upsetting you.

Duffys13

That's where the head in the sand comment came from!!! Just really want another forward in pronto, but even then I am dissapointed how late on we seem to be doing our business. It's like Traky's last year.

HibsMax
21-07-2011, 02:03 PM

I don't doubt that we wanted him but perhaps we didn't like his terms? Maybe he only wanted to be here for 6 months to put himself in the shop window and Hibs are looking to build a team, not a store front.

Twa Cairpets
21-07-2011, 02:03 PM
At least we have East Mains, the balance sheet etc, unless we truly didn't want him this kind of tells you the order is changing again, previously we couldn't compete with (insert names here) now it includes St. Johnstone, still we probably have Andrex finest bog roll in all loo's associated with the club for the coming season and the board and directors costs are more than likely to rise rather than fall, again, maybe we are planning another tier on the East for the cobwebs to build up on. :wink:

What a load of keech.

"We cant complete with St Johnstone". Yes we can, and do. Maybe the player preferred elswhere, didnt like CC, anything. But making assumptions and using them as a basis for a bit of childish pop at everyhing else Hibs related is pathetic.

Seriously, the self loathing of some fans is incredible.

Captain Trips
21-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Perhaps to raise the profile of the fact he is looking for another club, to give his agent the chance to play one of another? there could be countless reasons, you or I will never know, but in the usual .net fashion as he is a player that has been signed by another club, you can say we missed out if it makes you feel better.

As far as booing goes, I think you are kidding yourself. I missed the pre-season games but when I hear of fans booing at that, having a go at our manager and I saw all of last seasons reactions, from booing and jeering of our own just because he is a target (Nish), to booing a player because of a newspaper story (Miller) then I think we have a big problem at our club. If you dont think that is the case then your head is in the sand.

With regards to chosing one club over us as I said in my first post on this thread it could have come down to a number of reason, familiarity being the key one, looking like a better player alongside the St J squad, less pressure - again you will never know, but you can of course assume in the usual negative manor.

We wont know but I will speculate as I see fit and that can be agreed with or disagreed. I think something occured that put him off and I am happy with that, I disagree with you all the way on booing our own, I have been in a fair few away ends and I hear the same stuff aimed at players from OF etc etc. Hibs are no worse than anyone and I would find it laughable a player didnt sign due to our support.

Col L
21-07-2011, 02:05 PM
In order for something to be a fact you would need some evidence to back it up, i am guessing you have come prepared have you ???

Here come a :hnet:meltdown, the drama queens are having a field day.

I do know the facts, and you'll see them in tomorrow's papers. Sheridan would have come to Hibs quite happily, but St Johnstone gave Sofia what they wanted. Hibs knew what Sofia wanted (and roughly the wages he would require) when he arrived on trial, but still went under the odds with their offer. Like I said, blatant penny-pinching.

I'm not saying we've lost out on some world-beater, but it's a sad day when we are outmuscled in the transfer market by St Johnstone. That's not being a drama queen, that's being realistic.

Baldy Foghorn
21-07-2011, 02:06 PM

Because we have a penny pinching Board with absolutely no ambition whatsoever

Twa Cairpets
21-07-2011, 02:06 PM

Is it really. And how do you know this "FACT"?

You might be right, but gonnae show a bit of evidence to back your assertion that isnt heresay?

Cropley10
21-07-2011, 02:07 PM

:agree: all the Clubs problems are down to the fans. If more fans had bought a ST we could defo have signed him. No hang on - we didn't want him. Well we did, but not really. See that first offer - it's called a negotiation - no wonder there's so many rich car salesmen around - we were told to up the offer and er, well, he, er, signed for someone else. But this has absolutely nothing to do with penny pinching or budgets or 68% wages:turnover ratio. No - we've got someone even better lined up (probably) who does want to be at Hibs (like Calderwood does?) and he definitely knows what we pay and is happy with that and isn't going to waste our time. And anyway Sheridan's not that good and he wouldn't have made a big difference to our season in any case.

HibsMax
21-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Ok lets talk about the loan deal. I'd much rather have him on loan than struggle to get a striker in. If we are looking at better i'll be first on to say well done CC and Petrie and take back what i say. But until then why should i not be blaming Petrie or CC? It's like you can't say nothing against the board without getting hammered for it. Sorry for upsetting you.

By your own admission you don't know what is going on and until you do you are going to blame RP and CC? Why not wait until you know what is going on before blaming anyone? This is in reply to your post but I'm in no way singling out you. There are many others who are too quick to push the blame button IMO.

RIP
21-07-2011, 02:09 PM
The talk here in my Perth office was that Geoff Brown offered a 5-bedroom house and a car. I've heard in the past that Stewart Milne in Aberdeen was able to do similar. With the current recession, these guys have a lot of properties lying empty.

He will be able to golf at Gleneagles, eat great food at top restaurants and live in the the mosty scenic part of Scotland

Ye can hardly blame the laddie

Cropley10
21-07-2011, 02:09 PM
Because we have a penny pinching Board with absolutely no ambition whatsoever

No that's not right - we just decided we didn't want him as we've got other, better options:agree:

J-C
21-07-2011, 02:10 PM
I do know the facts, and you'll see them in tomorrow's papers. Sheridan would have come to Hibs quite happily, but St Johnstone gave Sofia what they wanted. Hibs knew what Sofia wanted (and roughly the wages he would require) when he arrived on trial, but still went under the odds with their offer. Like I said, blatant penny-pinching.

I'm not saying we've lost out on some world-beater, but it's a sad day when we are outmuscled in the transfer market by St Johnstone. That's not being a drama queen, that's being realistic.

But he went to St J loan, we were obvoiusly after a transfer for Sheridan, hence they wanted extra money, I'd assume his wage demands were too high for a full tranfer as a loan deal the 2 clubs share the wages between them.

Stevie Reid

St. Johnstone have him on loan. Hibs were trying to buy him.

stokesmessiah

First of all your attemp to sound patronising has just made you look rather silly as you are the one who is acting precious.

Secondly, i am all for voicing my opinions re the board but i prefer to do it based on fact not just made up nonsense. You have no idea why he never signed for Hibs but your very quick to find a way to knock the club. How do you know Hibs havent walked away as they have seen something better for the money??

blackpoolhibs
21-07-2011, 02:11 PM
No that's not right - we just decided we didn't want him as we've got other, better options:agree:

:agree: We will probably sign them on the 31st of August, there's no hurry.:rolleyes:

HibsMax

Let's say you're right and that StJ offered more than Hibs. That doesn't mean that we were out-muscled, it meant they were prepared to pay more than Hibs were.

Anyway, those facts you were talking about............?

ahibby
Right up until yesterday Hibs were interested in him and made an offer. So what could suddenly change that a player our club must have wanted, otherwise why make an offer, has ended up at S.J. Having seen him play for S.J and Hibs I'd say he was worth having and so can't understand why Hibs would let him go to dare I say a smaller club. We will see if we get better than him and Agogo does appear to be better, however he is also more injury prone. We will have to wait and see but if Hibs don't bring in better I expect the knives to be out. Nothing is certainly not better than CS.

pacorosssco
21-07-2011, 02:12 PM
You really believe that? He looked good to me to be fair.

14k a week good? and I know we wouldnt pay 10% of that but we have to buy well and 1400 is at the top end for us I would imagine. Weve picked up players like killen for a fraction of that . He isnt rubbish but im sure there is better for the money.

Who would you rather have Oconner or Sheriden? . Hard to say on Aggogo but maybe shown more in time at club.

Im frustrated as anyone with HIbs but I dont think this could be the disaster we think. Another big time charlie maybe ala Stokes without the goal track record. Hasn't been prolific anywhere.

Cropley10
21-07-2011, 02:13 PM
:agree: We will probably sign them on the 31st of August, there's no hurry.:rolleyes:

That's when players decide they want to move, not now. It's actually quite hard to sign players at the moment.

Cropley10
21-07-2011, 02:13 PM
14k a week good? and I know we wouldnt pay 10% of that but we have to buy well and 1400 is at the top end for us I would imagine. Weve picked up players like killen for a fraction of that . He isnt rubbish but im sure there is better for the money.

Who would you rather have Oconner or Sheriden? . Hard to say on Aggogo but maybe shown more in time at club.

Im frustrated as anyone with HIbs but I dont think this could be the disaster we think. Another big time charlie maybe ala Stokes without the goal track record. Hasn't been prolific anywhere.

You seen Garry play recently?

ahibby
21-07-2011, 02:14 PM
First of all your attemp to sound patronising has just made you look rather silly as you are the one who is acting precious.

Secondly, i am all for voicing my opinions re the board but i prefer to do it based on fact not just made up nonsense. You have no idea why he never signed for Hibs but your very quick to find a way to knock the club. How do you know Hibs havent walked away as they have seen something better for the money??

I don't want to get involved in your disagreement but you must see that the bit in bold proves that you could be talking just as much made up nonsense as you claim he is.

Baldy Foghorn
21-07-2011, 02:14 PM

Aye another one of the first choices is gone..... How far does this shopping list go:wink:

HibsMax
21-07-2011, 02:15 PM

Both are possibilities. It seems that some people pick one side of a story and run with it without really wanting to hear other possible explanations.

Cropley10
21-07-2011, 02:17 PM
I don't want to get involved in your disagreement but you must see that the bit in bold proves that you could be talking just as much made up nonsense as you claim he is.

I knew there would be people claiming this isn't bad news! And in fact - somehow they're already trying to persuade us it's for the best.

stokesmessiah

That was the point of that statement !!!!!

Dalkeith
By your own admission you don't know what is going on and until you do you are going to blame RP and CC? Why not wait until you know what is going on before blaming anyone? This is in reply to your post but I'm in no way singling out you. There are many others who are too quick to push the blame button IMO.

If we put an offer in for him we must have wanted him, St johnstone have got him by out bidding us or CS saw something at ER that he didnt like, i now understand why hibs put out that statement out this morning as hibs knew he was going elswhere

losing out to a teams like OF, Hearts and Aberdeen i can except, losing out to the likes of st johnstone is a joke are things really that bad

Captain Trips
Forget what you think of his ability or if you think he is good or bad or this actually might be a good thing.

Bottom line is CC wanted this player, surely some idea of wages and fees will have been known during trial for there to be even a point in the trial. We have failed to sign for whatever reason a player that we should have been capable of securing IMO. The point in not getting the player in is the concern I have.

Cropley10
Aye another one of the first choices is gone..... How far does this shopping list go:wink:

Joe Keenan - he must have been right at the very end of that shopping list:wink:

Bostonhibby
I never used to think that, but today i have changed my mind. Calderwood has a cheek too only wanting players who want to play for Hibernian. :rolleyes:

Hibs made an offer, yet he's signed for St Johnstone. Our offer obviously was not as much. How many times do we hear players will sign for the money, the training ground and stadium mean nothing when wages are discussed? That seem to be the case imo.

:top marks the new reality, or has it been like that for a while but we haven't wanted to see it becasue it's Hibs and we love them?

mcfly
21-07-2011, 02:18 PM
we can speculate all we want as to the reasons why he didnt sign for hibs.

however the fact of the matter is that st johnstone have appeared to have been a more attractive propostion and i want our board to explain why they are making us a laughing stock.

We are Not a big club - i dont believe we pay good wages, our board are well paid but for what??

empty stands are all they will see and I would encourage all fans this season to back the team/manager as much as we can - any frustration or anger must be directed at the board and nobody else.

they are to blame - no one else, they employed the previous "incumbents" and must take all the blame.

stokesmessiah
I knew there would be people claiming this isn't bad news! And in fact - somehow they're already trying to persuade us it's for the best.

As someone has already stated we will know on the 1st of September if it was or not.

J-C

How do you know he was a first choice, looks to me he was prostituting himself around a good few clubs to get the best deal, we wanted a full transfer but it looks like his wages were the problem, so he's took the other option of a loan were St J don't have to pay the whole wage, only part of it and at the end of the season, he goes off to a bigger club probably down south.

blackpoolhibs

Last week it was get him signed, today he's pish, we can do much better. We sound like that lot from gorgie.

Stevie Reid
21-07-2011, 02:19 PM

At the moment it's just news. If we go into Sunday without an impressive alternative I'll agree that it's disappointing.

Beefster
21-07-2011, 02:19 PM

Hibs never make statements to say that they won't be signing X. They barely acknowledge major, previously contracted players leaving.

The statement this morning sounds like it was made because they knew he was going to St Johnstone. There is far more to it than Hibs just deciding, after making an offer to the club and the player and telling the press that we wanted him, that he wasn't for us.

Craig_in_Prague
21-07-2011, 02:20 PM
We made an offer yesterday and had quotes from the player and CC saying good things, all looked positive. Then he signs for Saints, a team that we never look like we'll beat again.

Hibs better have a nice surprise round the corner, or we're in serious doodoo.

Still, others are backing the club to the hilt whilst those of us a bit baffled and miffed by this will be called drama queens.

If Sproule and GOC weren't with us before, we'd never had got them back. So this summer has seen 1 defender come in, now we've apparently lost a player to St J. ......really, WTF indeed. 3 days till news season, Not looking good at all.

Baldy Foghorn
21-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Apparently we have sold 7,000 season tickets according to some on here. St Johnstone's average attendance is c3,500....

How can we lose players to St Johnstone when we have more than three times there average gate...... Which Club is showing more ambition ?? This is a player the Manager stated publicly that he wanted.......

FromTheCapital
21-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Maybe Agogo is better???

Baldy Foghorn
21-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Maybe Agogo is better???

The manager has publicly said that he wanted Sheridan.....

HibsMax
21-07-2011, 02:24 PM

I haven't seen any posts that say that. I've read many posts suggesting alternatives but nothing that states unequivocally the reasons that he's made the move to St.J.

Saorsa
21-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Move along, nothing tae see here, we didnae really want him anyway.

Stevie Reid
21-07-2011, 02:25 PM
The manager has publicly said that he wanted Sheridan.....

But also publically stated that we were no longer interested...

Beefster
21-07-2011, 02:25 PM
Maybe Agogo is better???

What do you think happened in training today for them to decide that because yesterday they wanted Sheridan?

Saorsa
21-07-2011, 02:26 PM
But also publically stated that we were no longer interested...tyring tae safe face efter losing out?

Wilson
21-07-2011, 02:27 PM

It is news - full stop. How bad it is depends on what hibs do from here. If we do nothing and Sheridan excels at St Johnstone then we messed up. If we sign someone else and he does well for us then it was for the best.

Right now Sheridan is just another missed target. There will be more. He might have done well at hibs he might have been another Gow or Duffy. I find it interesting that there were threads linking him with Birmingham and he has found a home at St Johnstone. Perhaps we fans have put more stock in him than he deserves...

Beefster
21-07-2011, 02:28 PM

To be fair, Calderwood is becoming notorious for not being able to make up his mind. Maybe he was torn between the Sheridan Bon-Bons and the Agogo Rock.

Baldy Foghorn
21-07-2011, 02:28 PM

Only after Today when Sheridan was moving elsewhere

Beefster
21-07-2011, 02:29 PM
It is news - full stop. How bad it is depends on what hibs do from here. If we do nothing and Sheridan excels at St Johnstone then we messed up. If we sign someone else and he does well for us then it was for the best.

Right now Sheridan is just another missed target. There will be more. He might have done well at hibs he might have been another Gow or Duffy. I find it interesting that there were threads linking him with Birmingham and he has found a home at St Johnstone. Perhaps we fans have put more stock in him than he deserves...

They were 'sarcasm' because of Calderwood and Rooney, I'd imagine.

Baldy Foghorn
To be fair, Calderwood is becoming notorious for not being able to make up his mind. Maybe he was torn between the Sheridan Bon-Bons and the Agogo Rock.

:greengrin:greengrin

Stevie Reid
tyring tae safe face efter losing out?

Possibly, but we didn't do that with Barr, Webster or Hackett - and we lost out on them to our greatest rivals.

My guess is that Sofia wanted more for him than Hibs were prepared to pay - with no other bidders in for him they decide that a six month loan deal would help generate transfer interest in him. Hibs have other possibilities on a permanent transfer, and move on, St. Johnstone step in.

HibsMax
21-07-2011, 02:31 PM
If we put an offer in for him we must have wanted him, St johnstone have got him by out bidding us or CS saw something at ER that he didnt like, i now understand why hibs put out that statement out this morning as hibs knew he was going elswhere

losing out to a teams like OF, Hearts and Aberdeen i can except, losing out to the likes of st johnstone is a joke are things really that bad

I do believe that Hibs wanted him. There's no doubt about that because they wouldn't have submitted a bid for him. But we don't know the reasons that deal fell through. You offer two suggestions, both of which put Hibs in a bad light:
1. StJ outbid us - meaning Hibs can't compete with them
2. CS saw something he didn't like about Hibs

Maybe StJ did offer more than us but not because Hibs couldn't compete but because they simply don't value him that highly? Maybe they wanted him but they weren't desperate for him? I don't want to make more assumptions but if you've ever bid on something on eBay then you've probably lost a few items to higher bidders? Why was that? It could be because you can't afford it or it could be because you think the current bid amount is more than the item is worth. When you start bidding on eBay do you commit to increasing your bids without any checks or balances in place? I would hope not.

I'm not saying that Hibs were not outbid by StJ because of some penny pinching, I appreciate that is a valid possibility. What I am saying is there is more than one way to look at this.

It's funny how .net gets really busy on the back of bad news. The place was getting a little quiet. ;)

Captain Trips
21-07-2011, 02:33 PM

I do not think that is point, the point is we seem to on the surface have had a player whom we were not only interested in but had over to play with us and then that player has signed for another club in the SPL whom we are a rival of and should be able to more than compete with for players. Why are we having to look for other options now on Thursday 3 days befor KO?

HibsMax
Forget what you think of his ability or if you think he is good or bad or this actually might be a good thing.

Bottom line is CC wanted this player, surely some idea of wages and fees will have been known during trial for there to be even a point in the trial. We have failed to sign for whatever reason a player that we should have been capable of securing IMO. The point in not getting the player in is the concern I have.

We have failed to sign for whatever reason.

OR

We put in a bid that was rejected and didn't feel that an increased offer was in line.

Too many people assuming that Hibs tried and tried and tried but still failed. They could have pulled the plug themselves.

silverhibee
You're right, it truly is embarrassing IF what you say is true. But maybe we didn't lose out, maybe we passed him over in preference for someone else? Time will tell.

We should no in the next couple of days then, if Hibs dont bring in another striker before the celtc game then ER is going to be one unhappy place to be on Sunday lunchtime.

ahibby
That was the point of that statement !!!!!

I still don't get it. Your approach seems to be that it's okay for you to have a view based on your conclusion but others shouldn't, but maybe I have misunderstood your message. I listened to CC talking about CS again and it sounds that Hibs preferred a permanent deal but I don't see the reason for the inflexibility, and I would have liked to have seen CS at ER even if only on a loan deal and surely we should be a more attractive prospect to CS than the Saints. Something's not right.

LeithBoozy
21-07-2011, 02:34 PM
A lot of differant views, but taking a player on loan is not the same as buying outright. CC maybe did want him, Sheidan maybe did want to come here. The only ones with any say-so was his club and they seem happy with Loaning him out, the only players I want to see at ER is our own. So in the circumstances we pick our self's up and carry on.

Hibeescott
21-07-2011, 02:35 PM
I really dont understand all the posts on here from those trying to put a positive spin on this, stating that we don't know the facts!

I only care about two facts:

1. Hibs made an offer and Calderwood stated on numerous occasions that he was keen to sign him.
2. He has signed for St Johnstone over us.

I just dont buy the notion that something has cropped up which made CC change his mind.

- If he has discovered that someone better is available then great, sign him, but we have 2 strikers! We could have had Sheridan as well.
- I understand the fact that we were maybe trying to get him in via a transfer fee and St Johnstone by loan, but surely when it became apparent that there was a difference in the fee we were willing to pay and what Sofia wanted then we try and get him in on loan!

And as for the comment 'I only want to sign players who want to play for Hibs', I want players to will play for the club as we have had a real lack of them of late, but if that has come from CC direct then he has some nerve given his antics!

smurf
CC completely contradicts his previous quotes in that statement put up on the official site.

It was put up in panic. There is no doubt in my mind the club wanted him signed.

We said so. We offered him a deal.

We lost out to St Johnstone.

HibsMax
Last week it was get him signed, today he's pish, we can do much better. We sound like that lot from gorgie.

Who said he was pish?

Austinho
21-07-2011, 02:37 PM
Not read the whole thread, but I see St Johnstone have only got him on loan until January. Could it not just be that Hibs wanted him permanently rather than on loan, but couldn't agree a fee with CSKA? Leading CSKA to take action and get him off the wage bill, as well as putting him in the shop window in order to attract a larger fee in January.

Don't think it was a case of St Johnstone beating us to his signature or paying more – simply they were prepared to take him on loan, we weren't.

Beefster
21-07-2011, 02:37 PM
Maybe StJ did offer more than us but not because Hibs couldn't compete but because they simply don't value him that highly?

Serious question, Max. Who was the last player that we openly competed for and ended up signing? I honestly can't think but I recall Sheridan (if the reports we made an offer are right and they seem to be), Miller, Webster, Rooney, the Killie punter they signed this summer, Scotland, Barr, Hackett as players that we missed out on. There will be more if I thought hard enough.

Arch Stanton
21-07-2011, 02:40 PM

"I want to focus on players, who want to be at Hibernian"

"We know Cillian has other options and wish him all the best at whatever club he chooses to join."

My reading (albeit between the lines) of these two quotes is that Sheridan has been stringing them along - playing one club against the other kind of thing.

HibsMax
21-07-2011, 02:41 PM
We made an offer yesterday and had quotes from the player and CC saying good things, all looked positive. Then he signs for Saints, a team that we never look like we'll beat again.

Hibs better have a nice surprise round the corner, or we're in serious doodoo.

Still, others are backing the club to the hilt whilst those of us a bit baffled and miffed by this will be called drama queens.

If Sproule and GOC weren't with us before, we'd never had got them back. So this summer has seen 1 defender come in, now we've apparently lost a player to St J. ......really, WTF indeed. 3 days till news season, Not looking good at all.

I read this over and over again. I'm baffled. I'm miffed. But I don't know what happened with this deal so I am not going to be as quick as others when blaming anyone. Some people see news like this as an opportunity to stick it to the club. You have to know that is true? Ever notice that it's the "bad news" threads that attract the most attention? I'm not saying this isn't a piece of bad news but I am saying that I don't know what happened, there's a possibility that the club has a contingency plan and perhaps they don't view this missed signing as the catastrophe that some on here view it.

IMO, drama queens are those that post more regularly when there is a hint of bad news and they launch into an attack on the club rather than considering all possibilities.

Captain Trips
21-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Serious question, Max. Who was the last player that we openly competed for and ended up signing? I honestly can't think but I recall Sheridan (if the reports we made an offer are right and they seem to be), Miller, Webster, Rooney, the Killie punter they signed this summer, Scotland, Barr, Hackett as players that we missed out on. There will be more if I thought hard enough.

Indeed, the fact Hibs keep signing business very close to chest usually but with CS all was very open gives me the thought Hibs really thought this was going to happpen, now we see it hasnt and he has chossen St Johnstone. I have a feeling without any proof before I get stick just a feeling CC will be away within the next week.

Captain Trips
21-07-2011, 02:42 PM
"I want to focus on players, who want to be at Hibernian"

"We know Cillian has other options and wish him all the best at whatever club he chooses to join."

My reading (albeit between the lines) of these two quotes is that Sheridan has been stringing them along - playing one club against the other kind of thing.

What to get a 6mth loan at St Johnstone?

stokesmessiah
21-07-2011, 02:43 PM
I still don't get it. Your approach seems to be that it's okay for you to have a view based on your conclusion but others shouldn't, but maybe I have misunderstood your message. I listened to CC talking about CS again and it sounds that Hibs preferred a permanent deal but I don't see the reason for the inflexibility, and I would have liked to have seen CS at ER even if only on a loan deal and surely we should be a more attractive prospect to CS than the Saints. Something's not right.

Sorry i was maybe not being clear.

I wasnt forming a view based on my conclusions i was merely stating there can be any one of a number of things that could have happened as opposed to the FFS RP/CC/HIBS band.

As for CS signing for St J, who knows. I will agree with you in that Hibs looked keen on him but for whatever reason it looks like the deal was not right. I just hope we can forget about it and move on quickly as we are perilously close to the season now and have a threadbare squad.

ahibby
Let's forget the old CC saw something in him that he didn't like, because that clearly is not the case. Just listen to his interview the day before the Barnsley game and you will realise that CC certainly does rate him as a forward. During the interview CC appears to be lack confidence in Sofias understanding of the deal that Hibs were prepared to make; he uses sentences like 'If they haven't understood the deal that we want then they have wasted everybody's time'. He isn't convincing in his response to the question would you take him on loan. He says he isn't sure whether they would let him come over permanently. All pointing to Hibs wanting him to become a Hibs player. The reason that I am concerned is that I would have taken him even if it was only a loan deal and we have the resources to take him on loan (more than the Saints do) and we are too close to the start of the new season without a decent defence and forward line for my liking. Lets just hope that the SPL gets of to a slow start. Remember the last season we were relegated we beat Celtic at home in our first game and were unbeaten in the first five games (iirc), I'm not suggesting we are going to be relegated just that some seasons can start a bit slow for the potential champions.

Wilson
Indeed, the fact Hibs keep signing business very close to chest usually but with CS all was very open gives me the thought Hibs really thought this was going to happpen, now we see it hasnt and he has chossen St Johnstone. I have a feeling without any proof before I get stick just a feeling CC will be away within the next week.#

So some good may come out of this then :duck:

dangermouse
Who said he was pish?

He is pish :greengrin

Stevie Reid
I really dont understand all the posts on here from those trying to put a positive spin on this, stating that we don't know the facts!

I only care about two facts:

1. Hibs made an offer and Calderwood stated on numerous occasions that he was keen to sign him.
2. He has signed for St Johnstone over us.

I just dont buy the notion that something has cropped up which made CC change his mind.

- If he has discovered that someone better is available then great, sign him, but we have 2 strikers! We could have had Sheridan as well.
- I understand the fact that we were maybe trying to get him in via a transfer fee and St Johnstone by loan, but surely when it became apparent that there was a difference in the fee we were willing to pay and what Sofia wanted then we try and get him in on loan!

And as for the comment 'I only want to sign players who want to play for Hibs', I want players to will play for the club as we have had a real lack of them of late, but if that has come from CC direct then he has some nerve given his antics!

Whilst it's a fact that he's signed for St. Johnstone, you don't know that it's a fact that he picked them over us.

Beefster
21-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Not read the whole thread, but I see St Johnstone have only got him on loan until January. Could it not just be that Hibs wanted him permanently rather than on loan, but couldn't agree a fee with CSKA? Leading CSKA to take action and get him off the wage bill, as well as putting him in the shop window in order to attract a larger fee in January.

Don't think it was a case of St Johnstone beating us to his signature or paying more – simply they were prepared to take him on loan, we weren't.

Which would suggest that we wouldn't stretch to the <£100k that CSKA reported wanted? For a capped striker?

Hibs have no aversion to taking players on loan so I don't know why we would refuse to do that. Divis, Towell and Duffy last season alone.

I don't believe that St Johnstone are paying all his wages either so I don't think he'll be off CSKA's wage bill. (IMO)

silverhibee
21-07-2011, 02:45 PM
The talk here in my Perth office was that Geoff Brown offered a 5-bedroom house and a car. I've heard in the past that Stewart Milne in Aberdeen was able to do similar. With the current recession, these guys have a lot of properties lying empty.

He will be able to golf at Gleneagles, eat great food at top restaurants and live in the the mosty scenic part of Scotland
Ye can hardly blame the laddie

There is plenty of that and more in lovely Edinburgh. :greengrin

Oh yeah, and we have George Street, a must for a football player. Was he shown along George St buy the club, maybe Stack could have done that job. :greengrin

HibsMax
21-07-2011, 02:46 PM
We should no in the next couple of days then, if Hibs dont bring in another striker before the celtc game then ER is going to be one unhappy place to be on Sunday lunchtime.

When you say another striker, would Agogo count or do you mean him plus one other? When I said, "time will tell", I was really meaning up until the end of the window, not Sunday, but it would be nice to have a stronger squad by then.

smurf
21-07-2011, 02:48 PM
So many wanted him to come to ER so it appears St Johnstone will be stronger with him. Sure as hell he'll come back to haunt us...

500miles
21-07-2011, 02:48 PM
Hibs didn't seem to want a loan move according to the latest press. St. J's were happy to accept one.

Hard to say why, but perhaps Sheridan wants to put himself in the shop window without being tied down to a club long term.

Craig_in_Prague
21-07-2011, 02:49 PM
I read this over and over again. I'm baffled. I'm miffed. But I don't know what happened with this deal so I am not going to be as quick as others when blaming anyone. Some people see news like this as an opportunity to stick it to the club. You have to know that is true? Ever notice that it's the "bad news" threads that attract the most attention? I'm not saying this isn't a piece of bad news but I am saying that I don't know what happened, there's a possibility that the club has a contingency plan and perhaps they don't view this missed signing as the catastrophe that some on here view it.

IMO, drama queens are those that post more regularly when there is a hint of bad news and they launch into an attack on the club rather than considering all possibilities.

I agree the next 2 days will tell us if CC has indeed a better option. However big change from yesterday, he looked very keen on CS and also we made an offer. All has changed rather quickly.
I try to be a realist with Hibs and not 100% behind club or 100% basher.
With the season kicking off on Sunday and the look of current squad, I envisage another horrible season. Just my opinion.

Personally, I couldn't care if we had brought him on loan till Jan, June, or bought him for 5 years. We need some quality into the side, and the way we've been the last few years we are no position to turn our noses up at players like CS and chance of even a loan deal.

In short, becoming more fed up with CC, the official statements and our squad by the day.
Fair enough transfer window is open another 6 weeks, but given our 1st 3-4 games/teams, I can see us with 1 point or less....... So putting even more pressure on new signings being needed, when we've known for months and months we are short in various areas.

I just feel the whole club and support needs a 'pick me up' but yet, squad is bottom 6 material and we have a non committed manager now telling us he won't sign players he doesn't see fully committed to come to Hibs. You couldn't make it up!

Hibeescott
21-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Whilst it's a fact that he's signed for St. Johnstone, you don't know that it's a fact that he picked them over us.

Well we made an offer......and St Johnstone made an offer. And he has signed for St Johnstone. I didnt say he had picked them over us, I said he has signed for them over us, which he has.

1. If both offers were accepted and he chose them over us........then something is wrong.

2. If we weren't going to reach the fee that they were wanting to sign him via a transfer and didnt then have the common sense to try and take him on loan when that became apparent, then there is something wrong there as well.

PaulSmith
When you say another striker, would Agogo count or do you mean him plus one other? When I said, "time will tell", I was really meaning up until the end of the window, not Sunday, but it would be nice to have a stronger squad by then.

By the team the window closes we'll be what 5 games into the season. Quote possibly other clubs, who seem to operate and sign players early, will already be a number of points ahead meaning that we will struggle to catch them.

silverhibee

Sheridan. :aok:

Stevie Reid
21-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Which would suggest that we wouldn't stretch to the <£100k that CSKA reported wanted? For a capped striker?

Hibs have no aversion to taking players on loan so I don't know why we would refuse to do that. Divis, Towell and Duffy last season alone.

I don't believe that St Johnstone are paying all his wages either so I don't think he'll be off CSKA's wage bill. (IMO)

You're going purely on a story in the Daily Express with regards to your figures - if you're so happy to believe what you read, how come Calderwood saying that we're no longer interested a few hours before he signs for St. Johnstone means nothing?

FWIW, Alan O'Brien had 6 caps when we paid £250K for him.

jonty
Hibs didn't seem to want a loan move according to the latest press. St. J's were happy to accept one.

Hard to say why, but perhaps Sheridan wants to put himself in the shop window without being tied down to a club long term.
Nothing wrong with having commited players at the club.

If true and he was only willing to commit for a short period, then shock horror - Hibs get slated for wanting some stability on the field. :rolleyes:

J-C

No, a 6 month loan deal with the chance of a permanent move to maybe ECL in January, with bigger wages, at Hibs it might've been a 2 year deal and no possible move till next summer.

stokesmessiah
21-07-2011, 02:52 PM
I agree the next 2 days will tell us if CC has indeed a better option. However big change from yesterday, he looked very keen on CS and also we made an offer. All has changed rather quickly.
With the season kicking off on Sunday and the look of current squad, I envisage another horrible season. Just my opinion.

Personally, I couldn't care if had brought him on loan till Jan, June, or bought him for 5 years. We need some quality into the side, and the way we've been the last few years we are no position to turn our noses up at players like CS and chance of even a loan deal.

In short, becoming more fed up with CC, the official statements and our squad by the day.
Fair enough transfer window is open another 6 weeks, but given our 1st 3-4 games/teams, I can see us with 1 point or less....... So putting even more pressure on new signings being needed, when we've known for months and months we are short in various areas.

I just feel the whole club and support needs a 'pick me up' but yet, squad is bottom 6 material and we have a non committed manager now telling us he won't sign players he doesn't see fully committed to come to Hibs. You couldn't make it up!

There was a certain amount of irony in that :greengrin

HibsMax
21-07-2011, 02:52 PM

It's a worrying trend for sure. Not denying that. My concern is that if we've sold 7000 season tickets at an average of 200 a pop, that's 1.4 million pounds that is supposed to be spent on the team. Where is that money and how much is left? I've asked this question a few times now but scattered all over the place so perhaps I've missed my answer. Are Hibs sitting on 1 million plus pounds?

I want Hibs to sign players. I want players to pick Hibs over other teams. I don't know what it will take to make that happen (beyond Hibs playing very well, getting more publicity and filling the stadium).

Captain Trips
21-07-2011, 02:53 PM

That would actually be a positive for me, I was sick of loans and short term contracts, if Hibs want to progress then we need to sign folk whom will show us a few seasons so we are not changing squad every 12mths. If CS didnt want to commit to us then I think best he plays elsewhere, glad you stated that 500 miles. If thats the case I hope whoever comes in next is here for the long haul.

I am no fan of CC or the Board but if we pulled plug on CS due to him not wanting to play for us for a few seasons then I am glad they did that and agree 100%.

Stevie Reid
Well we made an offer......and St Johnstone made an offer. And he has signed for St Johnstone. I didnt say he had picked them over us, I said he has signed for them over us, which he has.

1. If both offers were accepted and he chose them over us........then something is wrong.

2. If we weren't going to reach the fee that they were wanting to sign him via a transfer and didnt then have the common sense to try and take him on loan when that became apparent, then there is something wrong there as well.

He hasn't. We pulled out of any deal and he signed for St. Johnstone.

And why is it common sense to take him on loan? If we can't afford him now and he comes here and does well, we're hardly going to be able to afford the new inflated price are we?

St. Johnstone have signed someone on loan. You would think we were going out of business.

Cropley10
By the team the window closes we'll be what 5 games into the season. Quote possibly other clubs, who seem to operate and sign players early, will already be a number of points ahead meaning that we will struggle to catch them.

Well if only more people had bought STs

HibsMax
21-07-2011, 02:54 PM
Indeed, the fact Hibs keep signing business very close to chest usually but with CS all was very open gives me the thought Hibs really thought this was going to happpen, now we see it hasnt and he has chossen St Johnstone. I have a feeling without any proof before I get stick just a feeling CC will be away within the next week.

Do you think he is going to walk or get fired?

Hibeescott
21-07-2011, 02:55 PM

Personally, I couldn't care if we had brought him on loan till Jan, June, or bought him for 5 years. We need some quality into the side, and the way we've been the last few years we are no position to turn our noses up at players like CS and chance of even a loan deal.

Spot on. We are 3 days before the start of the season and we have 2 strikers in our squad, 1 who is fit (is he really though?) for Sunday.

Captain Trips
21-07-2011, 02:58 PM
Do you think he is going to walk or get fired?

Dunno, kind of thinking that positive spin on this might be CC and Petrie agreed that they wanted 2/3yr deal with CS, just as likely a scenario than the others some that I have suggested not so positive. Not sure now about my CC remark not ready to retract but maybe some positive can come out of this one.

HibsMax
21-07-2011, 03:01 PM

As has already been stated, maybe Hibs wanted him on a permanent deal?

Let me make some assumptions of my own
1. Hibs want Sheridan on a permanent deal.
2. Sheridan wants to come to Hibs.
3. Hibs offer to buy Sheridan was knocked back by CSKA.
4. Hibs don't increase their offer.
5. Sheridan and Hibs both disappointed.
6. Sheridan goes to StJ on a loan deal.

It seems unlikely to me that the cost of a player on loan will not be the same as buying a player so it's not an apples to apples comparison.

I go to a car showroom and offer to buy a car. I make an offer which is rejected. Someone else comes in and signs a lease for the same car. They get it. On the face of things I lost out, someone else got the car.

BUT!

Their payments are cheaper and at the end of the deal the car isn't theirs.

Note: I am sure that player contracts are a little different than buying / leasing a car but I am sure there are similarities.

Hibeescott
21-07-2011, 03:02 PM
He hasn't. We pulled out of any deal and he signed for St. Johnstone.

And why is it common sense to take him on loan? If we can't afford him now and he comes here and does well, we're hardly going to be able to afford the new inflated price are we?

St. Johnstone have signed someone on loan. You would think we were going out of business.

I am sorry, I am not one to have a go at others, but that post is complete and utter nonsense.

Do you honestly believe that after taking someone on trial, playing him in matches, stating time and time again that we want to sign him, making an offer for him, that we just pulled out??

Why is it common sense to take him on loan?! We have two strikers, 1 of those is fit to play (he is also injury prone by the way), and our first match of the season is 3 days away!

And as for your last comment, I am not even going to dignify that with a response.

Beefster
21-07-2011, 03:03 PM
You're going purely on a story in the Daily Express with regards to your figures - if you're so happy to believe what you read, how come Calderwood saying that we're no longer interested a few hours before he signs for St. Johnstone means nothing?

For the figure I am but that's why I doubled the threshold.

The reason that I'm sceptical now of the statement is, firstly, Calderwood has publicly said that he wanted him. No ifs, no buts. Secondly, the statement implies that Sheridan has been using us to get a deal elsewhere. If he's used Hibs to get a loan move to St Johnstone, what does that say about Hibs?

Nothing wrong with having commited players at the club.

If true and he was only willing to commit for a short period, then shock horror - Hibs get slated for wanting some stability on the field. :rolleyes:

Haven't Hibs been trying to get Towell back on loan? The vast majority of clubs use loans and Hibs themselves are no stranger to them.

Craig_in_Prague
21-07-2011, 03:08 PM
I am sorry, I am not one to have a go at others, but that post is complete and utter nonsense.

Do you honestly believe that after taking someone on trial, playing him in matches, stating time and time again that we want to sign him, making an offer for him, that we just pulled out??

Why is it common sense to take him on loan?! We have two strikers, 1 of those is fit to play (he is also injury prone by the way), and our first match of the season is 3 days away!

And as for your last comment, I am not even going to dignify that with a response.

:agree:

Petrie only interested on making profit on players, despite the fact most of our squad are youth who'll make the club money if they progress.

Many other sides take players on loan, even short term. Fair play we tried to buy him, but 2nd best option is surely to take him on loan.
If we made an offer to buy him, surely it means CS was high up CC wish list. Now we've not signed him, how can we be sure he's got something better lined up. Doesn't make sense and we're going to rely heavily on GOC in the 1st half dozen games...... by all accounts he aint looking sharp. Pathetic to be in this position with SPL opener 3 days away, really pish poor planning from Hibs and the CC shambles over the last month no doubt has impacted our preparations. Anyway, roll on the new season :rolleyes:

LancashireHibby
21-07-2011, 03:09 PM
Haven't Hibs been trying to get Towell back on loan? The vast majority of clubs use loans and Hibs themselves are no stranger to them.

I'd suggest it's a little different for a right back rather than a striker, and even in terms of the timing during the season as January signings like Towell are generally a short-term solution, rather than a summer signing being a longer-term option.

Seems to me that we wanted him as a permanent transfer and on a longer term deal which either he or CSKA wasn't keen on. To be honest, I think the deal suits both CSKA and the player in case he has a good 6 months and gets a big transfer in January for a value much higher than we were prepared to pay.

Disappointed we haven't landed him but maybe the questions over his commitment (or lack of it) are justified. Plenty more fish in the sea.

J-C
For the figure I am but that's why I doubled the threshold.

The reason that I'm sceptical now of the statement is, firstly, Calderwood has publicly said that he wanted him. No ifs, no buts. Secondly, the statement implies that Sheridan has been using us to get a deal elsewhere. If he's used Hibs to get a loan move to St Johnstone, what does that say about Hibs?

I dodn't think I've seen it reported anywhere that we were trying to get Towell back on loan, I think CC mentioned getting him back but it was up to Celtic, he never at anytime said what way he'd like him back. Towell was needed as a loan deal to help us out short term, these deals are perfect when you have say injury problems etc, I'm sure CC would prefer to see Towell coming to Er on a permanent deal.

Arch Stanton

If his intention was solely to up his earnings then neither the 6month loan bit nor the St Johnstone bit would be relevant.

Stevie Reid
21-07-2011, 03:12 PM

That's exactly what we've done. We tried to sign him and it didn't happen - he has now gone elsewhere on loan.

We obviously wanted Sheridan on a permanent transfer hence why we tried to buy him. If we can't afford him now, there's no way we could afford him if he comes here and plays well for us for 6 months. Calderwood obviously wants a permanent option and not a short term solution. You don't yet know that we don't have better options available, like CC alluded to in his statement earlier - we will have to wait and see.

Hmmm. Looks like a response to me.

HibsMax
21-07-2011, 03:13 PM
Let's forget the old CC saw something in him that he didn't like, because that clearly is not the case. Just listen to his interview the day before the Barnsley game and you will realise that CC certainly does rate him as a forward. During the interview CC appears to be lack confidence in Sofias understanding of the deal that Hibs were prepared to make; he uses sentences like 'If they haven't understood the deal that we want then they have wasted everybody's time'. He isn't convincing in his response to the question would you take him on loan. He says he isn't sure whether they would let him come over permanently. All pointing to Hibs wanting him to become a Hibs player. The reason that I am concerned is that I would have taken him even if it was only a loan deal and we have the resources to take him on loan (more than the Saints do) and we are too close to the start of the new season without a decent defence and forward line for my liking. Lets just hope that the SPL gets of to a slow start. Remember the last season we were relegated we beat Celtic at home in our first game and were unbeaten in the first five games (iirc), I'm not suggesting we are going to be relegated just that some seasons can start a bit slow for the potential champions.

I agree and disagree with this.

I agree that signing him on a loan could be good if he delivered and would help bolster our attack.

However, maybe Hibs want to try and do what we're all crying out to be done...........build a team. You don't build a team around loan signings, players that will be off just after you've gotten used to them being here. Say he did sign and banged in a few goals. Great, Hibs have a goal scorer. The downside is that he might have attracted attention from elsewhere and then someone swoops in for him and offer him a deal that CSKA finds more appealing?

HibsMax
21-07-2011, 03:14 PM
He is pish :greengrin

:na na:

Captain Trips
21-07-2011, 03:15 PM

I agree that signing him on a loan could be good if he delivered and would help bolster our attack.

However, maybe Hibs want to try and do what we're all crying out to be done...........build a team. You don't build a team around loan signings, players that will be off just after you've gotten used to them being here. Say he did sign and banged in a few goals. Great, Hibs have a goal scorer. The downside is that he might have attracted attention from elsewhere and then someone swoops in for him and offer him a deal that CSKA finds more appealing?

I agree so if thats what Hibs are looking to do that will be proven in our next signing, if its a loan or short contract then perhaps all bets are off on what I hope also to be case in bold.

HibsMax
21-07-2011, 03:16 PM
So many wanted him to come to ER so it appears St Johnstone will be stronger with him. Sure as hell he'll come back to haunt us...

Maybe Hibs will see how he does at StJ and then buy him in the Winter window? :wink:

Stevie Reid
21-07-2011, 03:16 PM
:agree:

Petrie only interested on making profit on players, despite the fact most of our squad are youth who'll make the club money if they progress.

Many other sides take players on loan, even short term. Fair play we tried to buy him, but 2nd best option is surely to take him on loan.
If we made an offer to buy him, surely it means CS was high up CC wish list. Now we've not signed him, how can we be sure he's got something better lined up. Doesn't make sense and we're going to rely heavily on GOC in the 1st half dozen games...... by all accounts he aint looking sharp. Pathetic to be in this position with SPL opener 3 days away, really pish poor planning from Hibs and the CC shambles over the last month no doubt has impacted our preparations. Anyway, roll on the new season :rolleyes:

If Petrie is only interested in making money on players, what's the point in loaning a player we can't afford now? If he does well the price will be even higher and if he's pish we won't want him. We could only make money on him if we bought him and we failed to do that.

DoonTheSlope
21-07-2011, 03:17 PM

According to CC we want players that want to be at our club......ah he would prefer to be at St Johnstone then!!

PaulSmith
21-07-2011, 03:17 PM

O'Connor is on a 12 month deal, building for future there?

Hibeescott
21-07-2011, 03:21 PM
That's exactly what we've done. We tried to sign him and it didn't happen - he has now gone elsewhere on loan.

We obviously wanted Sheridan on a permanent transfer hence why we tried to buy him. If we can't afford him now, there's no way we could afford him if he comes here and plays well for us for 6 months. Calderwood obviously wants a permanent option and not a short term solution. You don't yet know that we don't have better options available, like CC alluded to in his statement earlier - we will have to wait and see.

Hmmm. Looks like a response to me.

I think your missing the point here, majorly. We tried to sign him, and it should have happened if its St Johnstone he has ended up at!

Yeah we did want him on a permanent transfer, which shows how highly CC and the club rated him! If it then became apparent that we weren't going to pay the fee they were wanting then why not try and take him on loan? Personally I don't care if he comes to the club for 6 months, gives us another option (we have 1 fit striker remember!), and scores goals in the process. Please tell me what is wrong with that? As stated by a previous poster, we are in no position to start turning up our noses to a player like CS because he is only available on loan.

If we have better options available then why on earth were we trying to sign him on a permanent basis!! Think about it.

and enough of wise crack answers yeah.

HibsMax
21-07-2011, 03:22 PM

Agree with the first part. Disagree with rest though. Forget whether you think our manager is committed or not, would you want our manager to say anything other than he just wants players who are committed to the club? You might think he's being a hypocrite but it doesn't make him wrong.

This CS story is very similar to the heated CC debate. We have a bunch of people assuming the worst, reading between the lines and forming opinion based on incomplete information (something that fans of Crimson Tide will know is a very bad thing to do). We have other people coming in offering up other possibilities, that maybe the worst case scenario is not the only scenario. Neither group of people are right or wrong because neither group of people is in possession of all the facts. I just find it draining when people would rather assume the worst than consider other possibilities. IMO, considering other possibilities is neither sticking one's head in the sand or ignoring the "facts", it's simply keeping an open mind. Surely that's not a bad thing? :)

Captain Trips
21-07-2011, 03:22 PM

I think like me Max is speculating, there is always room for the odd short deal and loan but I got right pissed off after selling Stokes when we went out and got in 3 or 4 players on short deals when we had about 10 players out of contract.

Garry O is a gamble and maybe 1yr deal is correct, the likes of Sheridan is a playerwho is certainly a target we should expect to be able to have on a longer contract. If he doesnt feel like it then **** him however if that is case about CS I will be shocked if we brought in anymore players on short deals or loan. Hibs have to sign players for long haul or we will never get anywhere.

Wilson
21-07-2011, 03:26 PM
According to CC we want players that want to be at our club......ah he would prefer to be at St Johnstone then!!

He would prefer to at St Johnstone than hibs

or

He would prefer to be on loan at St Johnstone than transferred to hibs

or

He would prefer to be on loan to St Johnstone than on loan at hibs

or

His parent club would rather loan him to St Johnstone than transfer him to hibs

or

His parent club would rather loan him to St Johnstone than loan him to hibs

pacorosssco
Sheridan. :aok:

fair doos. its all about opinions

LancashireHibby

Think it's more likely a case of he'd rather be at St Johnstone for 6 months before getting a move elsewhere as opposed to tying himself to a longer-term contract at Hibs.

Stevie Reid
I think your missing the point here, majorly. We tried to sign him, and it should have happened if its St Johnstone he has ended up at!

Yeah we did want him on a permanent transfer, which shows how highly CC and the club rated him! If it then became apparent that we weren't going to pay the fee they were wanting then why not try and take him on loan? Personally I don't care if he comes to the club for 6 months, gives us another option (we have 1 fit striker remember!), and scores goals in the process. Please tell me what is wrong with that? As stated by a previous poster, we are in no position to start turning up our noses to a player like CS because he is only available on loan.

If we have better options available then why on earth were we trying to sign him on a permanent basis!! Think about it.

and enough of wise crack answers yeah.

I'm missing the point yet you've asked me what's wrong with a loan deal when I told you in my last post what I believe is flawed about it.

We have missed out on a permanent signing target - he has since signed for St. Johnstone on loan. Neither one of us knows 100% whether we were both in for him on loan but from CC's statement this morning stated that we had pulled out several hours before he signed for St. Johnstone, it seems not. I may be wrong, you may be wrong - we shall see.

With regards to your bit in bold, it's perfectly possible that a new target has become available in the last couple of days, or that someone else has moved up the hierarchy due to Sheridan only being available on loan. I am thinking - you are panicking.

And as for your last point, I'm not even going to dignify that with a response.

silverhibee
21-07-2011, 03:27 PM

Agogo would do if he is fit and ready to go go, but are the club still not waiting on international clearance for him, what if wee dont get that before the celtc game and we have to rely on GOC for the game, our only fit and experinced striker and he will be lucky to last 60 mins if he is lucky due to his fitness.
Max, Hibs cannot wait until the end of the window, we need players in now, a fit striker or maybe two, a right back, and another playmaker for the midfield incase anything happens to Thornhill, and wee need the striker and right back before Sunday. :aok:

HibsMax
21-07-2011, 03:28 PM

Possibly. Equally as possible is that Hibs lose a little ground at the start of the season but then make it up with the additions they sign before the end of the window? Or we might not lose any ground at all? Or we might never get going?

Point is, we have until the end of August to sign more players and while I agree that signing them NOW would be my preference, there's still time, and I think we can only accurately judge Hibs success / failure in the transfer market once the window is closed.

HibsMax
21-07-2011, 03:30 PM

People were creaming their pants when Hart signed last year. It just goes to show that we don't know everything that we think we know.

Stevie Reid
21-07-2011, 03:32 PM
People were creaming their pants when Hart signed last year. It just goes to show that we don't know everything that we think we know.

I know, I was one of them!

Spike Mandela
21-07-2011, 03:33 PM

:faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

Honestly, you have to laugh or you wid greet:rolleyes:

.Sean.
21-07-2011, 03:34 PM
No wonder he signed fot them over this farcical club. I've genuinely never been so ****ing pissed off with Hibs, I've got my season ticket but I'm honestly in two minds about wether or not to go on Sunday. It's utterly deflating and I know a few folk who are considering chucking it altogether.

The negativity is like a disease and it's came from the very top. The penny-pinching fat cats in the boardroom and CC can GTF.

Hibeescott
Laughable. I'm missing the point yet you've asked me what's wrong with a loan deal when I told you in my last post what I believe is flawed about it.

We have missed out on a permanent signing target - he has since signed for St. Johnstone on loan. Neither one of us knows 100% whether we were both in for him on loan but from CC's statement this morning stated that we had pulled out several hours before he signed for St. Johnstone, it seems not. I may be wrong, you may be wrong - we shall see.

I am asking you what is wrong with signing him on loan when we have 1 fit striker, we are 3 days before our first game of the season and he could come in and more than likely score some goals for us. IMO there are no negatives in that.

If we weren't in for him loan then my point is that we should have been! We signed players on loan last season, including duffy, why wouldnt we again? Especially with the severe lack of options up front and how close we are to the start of the season.

PaulSmith
Possibly. Equally as possible is that Hibs lose a little ground at the start of the season but then make it up with the additions they sign before the end of the window? Or we might not lose any ground at all? Or we might never get going?

Point is, we have until the end of August to sign more players and while I agree that signing them NOW would be my preference, there's still time, and I think we can only accurately judge Hibs success / failure in the transfer market once the window is closed.

And then we'll have the January window and better players are available on pre-contract Bosmans quote?

MrRobot
21-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Maybe we decided that he wasn't worth more than what we were offering ? Possibly he see's it as a good player for £1400 a week, but if he wants £2000 a week, we might have a better option at that price.

Im guessing by the bit that says "We want to sign players who want to be a Hibernian(rich coming from CC :wink::greengrin)" something has happened or they realised Sheridan wanted money only and would go to the club with the highest pay packet, not the best potential ?

hfc rd
21-07-2011, 03:35 PM
You have got to be kidding me? St f****** Johnstone? I wouldn't mind losing him to a championship/lge 1 club in England but St Johnstone?! The board need to really come out and tell us what went wrong. No disrespect to St Johnstone but surely we should be more richer than them. Totally pissed off. We need new players signed urgently as this current team doesn't look like a top six team.GET IT SORTED NOW!

PaulSmith
21-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Will I still read the same argument about "building a team" if we sign Phil Airey or similar on a 6 month deal from an EPL team

Captain Trips
21-07-2011, 03:38 PM
I am certainly not a fan of CC or Board but on this we are all speculating and I think over all the different views somebody will be pretty close.

I am going to back Hibs now over this from my initial thoughts and the fluffy positive is:

CC wants to build team as does RP, we already have a few shorter deals and both see need to look at longer contracts, we look at CS early signs are good, Hibs tell of plans for next 2/3 years CS decides that he does not wish to commit to SPL that long, could he get a loan, Hibs say no we want you here as we are building, CS says no and no offer from Hibs will change that as CS thinks he could get down south after loan. So Hibs could do nothing as CS did not wish to commit.

Now that is really what I hope is case or all above is oot windae if we sign A N Other for 12mths.

All number of things could have happened what I say above may have been case and if so fair enough, my doubts about it would be surely some discussion took place during loan on what we wanted and he wanted. My theory above is probably the one in my view which puts club in positive in looking for long term commitment, I hope it is case as the other scenarios and my initial thoughts simply are unacceptable for what Hibs are looking to achieve.

HibsMax
21-07-2011, 03:39 PM
I agree so if thats what Hibs are looking to do that will be proven in our next signing, if its a loan or short contract then perhaps all bets are off on what I hope also to be case in bold.

You know, if Hibs don't sign a permanent striker and end up with a panic, last-minute loan deal then they will look pretty stupid I think. CS on loan would make sense for Hibs if they were looking for short-term cover so that makes me believe they're not looking for that sort of deal. But a short-term loan is better than nothing at all and that makes me think that Hibs have other irons in the fire. Let's hope that they do and this doesn't backfire!

HibsMax
21-07-2011, 03:41 PM

Isn't 12 months longer than 6 months? At least 12 months gives us a complete season. Surely you can see why that is better than a half season?

I don't know why this would happen but Hibs can sell O'Connor if they want to. They can't sell a player on loan.

Saorsa
21-07-2011, 03:42 PM
No wonder he signed fot them over this farcical club. I've genuinely never been so ****ing pissed off with Hibs, I've got my season ticket but I'm honestly in two minds about wether or not to go on Sunday. It's utterly deflating and I know a few folk who are considering chucking it altogether.

The negativity is like a disease and it's came from the very top. The penny-pinching fat cats in the boardroom and CC can GTF.The apathy will only continue tae go while they remain.

frazeHFC
21-07-2011, 03:42 PM
What a shambles we are.

Stevie Reid
21-07-2011, 03:43 PM
I am asking you what is wrong with signing him on loan when we have 1 fit striker, we are 3 days before our first game of the season and he could come in and more than likely score some goals for us. IMO there are no negatives in that.

If we weren't in for him loan then my point is that we should have been! We signed players on loan last season, including duffy, why wouldnt we again? Especially with the severe lack of options up front and how close we are to the start of the season.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't sign players on loan, I'm saying that it has to be in our best interests - it would seem that Hibs don't believe that this would be. It's interesting that you picked Duffy as an example of a loan signing, it just didn't work out at all for him, and was an example of how badly wrong loans can go - similarly it didn't work out with Grounds and Gow, or recently Divis the goalkeeper either. But most of those loans were at least with a view to a potential permanent transfer, this wouldn't be - it would be a short term fix and potentially of more help to Sofia than it would be to us. I believe our manager has other good options to bring in - I may be stupid to be doing so, but only time can prove that one way or the other.

I know we need more strikers in, all I'm saying is wait and see what happens. At least until Sunday.

Speedway
21-07-2011, 03:43 PM
What would everyone think if they learned that our manager that let him go, rather than our board, because he didn't want Sheridan to put himself in the shop window and lose him in January, instead he wanted a striker for a minimum of a season and when the player made it clear that a loan deal was to advertise himself to bigger clubs and that he had no intention of staying in the SPL past January, the manager pulled the plug on the deal?

EasterRoad4Ever
21-07-2011, 03:45 PM

Anyone we pick up this late in the transfer window will be a panic buy, just like so many other duds Hibs have signed late on. Anyone half decent will have a club by now. Hibs are raking through the bucket of crud left that nobody wants.

Captain Trips
21-07-2011, 03:46 PM
What would everyone think if they learned that our manager that let him go, rather than our board, because he didn't want Sheridan to put himself in the shop window and lose him in January, instead he wanted a striker for a minimum of a season and when the player made it clear that a loan deal was to advertise himself to bigger clubs and that he had no intention of staying in the SPL past January, the manager pulled the plug on the deal?

I would agree with CC if that was case.

andy1875
21-07-2011, 03:46 PM
Regardless of why we haven't managed to sign Sheridan, this is another morale denting story days before the season starts. CC clearly thought the player could improve the squad and I think
it would be fair to say most Hibs fans would have seen this as a very good signing too. Not
to be yet again and the negativity continues for another day....

Arch Stanton
21-07-2011, 03:47 PM
He would prefer to at St Johnstone than hibs

or

He would prefer to be on loan at St Johnstone than transferred to hibs

or

He would prefer to be on loan to St Johnstone than on loan at hibs

or

His parent club would rather loan him to St Johnstone than transfer him to hibs

or

His parent club would rather loan him to St Johnstone than loan him to hibs

That's certainly enough options to get my head spinning and even then I'm not so sure it covers all the bases.

More simply however, I reckon CSKA's best option would be a sale for £50,000 and their worst option would be a year long loan (assuming he will be out of contract then).

CS's best option would be a year long loan so he could get some playing time and aim for an attractive contract next summer. His worst option would be a three-year deal which he feels would box him in if his career takes off.

Assuming the above two paras aren't rubbish then the best compromise would be a 6-month loan deal - I certainly don't think this would have been St J's preference (or Hibs' for that matter).

In other words it isn't about him preferring St J to us - it is about the 6-month loan best matching his career aspirations.

HibsMax
21-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Agogo would do if he is fit and ready to go go, but are the club still not waiting on international clearance for him, what if wee dont get that before the celtc game and we have to rely on GOC for the game, our only fit and experinced striker and he will be lucky to last 60 mins if he is lucky due to his fitness.
Fingers crossed that Agogo is good to go then. :)

Max, Hibs cannot wait until the end of the window, we need players in now, a fit striker or maybe two, a right back, and another playmaker for the midfield incase anything happens to Thornhill, and wee need the striker and right back before Sunday. :aok:
I agree. My preference is to get players in sooner rather than later. Here's my order of preference:
1. sign the right players now
2. sign the right players before the end of the window
3. sign nobody
4. sign the wrong players

Hibeescott
21-07-2011, 03:48 PM
I'm not saying that we shouldn't sign players on loan, I'm saying that it has to be in our best interests - it would seem that Hibs don't believe that this would be. It's interesting that you picked Duffy as an example of a loan signing, it just didn't work out at all for him, and was an example of how badly wrong loans can go - similarly it didn't work out with Grounds and Gow, or recently Divis the goalkeeper either. But most of those loans were at least with a view to a potential permanent transfer, this wouldn't be - it would be a short term fix and potentially of more help to Sofia than it would be to us. I believe our manager has other good options to bring in - I may be stupid to be doing so, but only time can prove that one way or the other.

I know we need more strikers in, all I'm saying is wait and see what happens. At least until Sunday.

I picked out Duffy as a striker we recently had on loan, no other reason. I could pick out numerous examples of loan signings to clubs that have had a positive impact. I have no doubts that we will have other options, but I will say again, if we have better options available then we wouldnt have been looking to sign him at all.

HibsMax
21-07-2011, 03:49 PM
I know, I was one of them!

I hope you burned those pants!

Beefster
Will I still read the same argument about "building a team" if we sign Phil Airey or similar on a 6 month deal from an EPL team

Of course not. If this nonsense about wanting Sheridan permanently but not on loan was in any way true, any loan signings this summer would be pure hypocrisy from Hibs.

EasterRoad4Ever
Maybe this is just another player CC has lined up for a move to BCFC or NFFC when he finally decides which one to go to. Easier to get Sheridan if he's on loan than signed up by the Hibs :devil:

HibsMax
21-07-2011, 03:51 PM

I think everything you have said here makes perfect sense IF Hibs have no other plans already in motion. There is no reason not to offer a loan deal to someone you think could do a job for us in the short-term IF there are no other options. Loan deals are good for getting out of scrapes but not good for building a team around, IMO. If Hibs refused to look at a loan deal and end up with nobody instead, that would leave us with egg on our faces.

Speedway
21-07-2011, 03:52 PM
I would agree with CC if that was case.

Then rest assured that the manager is making decisions that you agree with.

Goodness knows whether he's got an ace card or not though.

basehibby
WTF ?!?!?
We have been outbid by St Johnstone here and that is just ****ing ridiculous - and before anyone tells me to calm down, we HAVE been outbid by them! We put in a bid that was not accepted - St Js put in a bid that was - ergo they outbid us.

Rod / CC had better have something up their sleeve such as Agogo ready to play on Sunday :fuming:

Judas Iscariot
We really are the bottom feeders of the SPL! 'spose we can pretend everything is sound though :ostrich:

HibsMax
21-07-2011, 03:53 PM
And then we'll have the January window and better players are available on pre-contract Bosmans quote?

By January we'll be so far ahead at the top of the table that we won't even need strikers.

Sorry, this thread needs at least one sensible post. :wink:

Stevie Reid
21-07-2011, 03:53 PM
I picked out Duffy as a striker we recently had on loan, no other reason. I could pick out numerous examples of loan signings to clubs that have had a positive impact. I have no doubts that we will have other options, but I will say again, if we have better options available then we wouldnt have been looking to sign him at all.

And I will say again that things change very quickly in football, we are not party to what's gone on, another target just may have become available, or other targets may now be more appealling due to the fact that we can't get Sheridan permanently.

I know that there have been good loan deals in the past, sometimes they work very well. But ultimately at the end of the 6 months it would be extremely likely that Sheridan would be off - obviously CC doesn't fancy that.

Of course I may be completely wrong, maybe we have genuinely lost out to St. Johnstone, and maybe everyone is right to panic. I'll see how I feel on Sunday.

HibsMax
21-07-2011, 03:56 PM

The argument is the same irrespective of the player. We could sign Messi for a 6 month loan deal. That would increase season ticket sales. That would increase the quality of our team. But what happens after he leaves in January?

Loan deals are not evil and they do help teams get by but in all honesty, I would prefer we sign players on permanent deals as we're more in control of the situation. We can sell players we own for starters.

Stevie Reid
21-07-2011, 03:57 PM
I hope you burned those pants!

:greengrin

And here we are a year later getting soiled underwear over Sheridan!

marinello59
We really are the bottom feeders of the SPL! 'spose we can pretend everything is sound though :ostrich:

That's the spirit. No need to offer reasoned debate when snidey wee digs are so much easier. :thumbsup:

Captain Trips
Then rest assured that the manager is making decisions that you agree with.

Goodness knows whether he's got an ace card or not though.

As we do not have facts I stress this is what I hope happened if not, well Hibs yet again fail to deliver and I am not surprised.

allezsauzee
21-07-2011, 03:59 PM
Maybe St Johnstone have bet the house on him and we weren't really that fussed for having him? I wouldn't be offering him a huge wage on the strength of him scoring a free header from 3 yards against East Fife in a friendly. Id rather we signed somebody better and wait until late August to do it.

greenlex
21-07-2011, 04:00 PM
Anyone we pick up this late in the transfer window will be a panic buy, just like so many other duds Hibs have signed late on. Anyone half decent will have a club by now. Hibs are raking through the bucket of crud left that nobody wants.
:rolleyes: When does the window shut again? Sunday?

HibsMax
21-07-2011, 04:01 PM

Genuine question. Is this true? I've read other posts that suggest players hang around until later in the window to try and get the best deal possible.

I would think that if Hibs were in "panic buy" mode already they would have taken Sheridan on loan. Why? Well, taking a player on loan IS a risk but playing without anyone at all is a bigger one IMO.

snooky
21-07-2011, 04:01 PM
The argument is the same irrespective of the player. We could sign Messi for a 6 month loan deal. That would increase season ticket sales. That would increase the quality of our team. But what happens after he leaves in January?

Loan deals are not evil and they do help teams get by but in all honesty, I would prefer we sign players on permanent deals as we're more in control of the situation. We can sell players we own for starters.

Don't care if they're begged stolen or borrowed, just get somebody in - the squad's bare-er$ed.

Spike Mandela
21-07-2011, 04:02 PM
Good that we have managed to give Sheridan some match time and help him build up his match sharpness for St J:aok:

Also means we can benefit from the guy recovering from a knee injury who couldn't play in any pre season games. Our opposition won't know anything about him.:devil:

HibsMax
21-07-2011, 04:04 PM
WTF ?!?!?
We have been outbid by St Johnstone here and that is just ****ing ridiculous - and before anyone tells me to calm down, we HAVE been outbid by them! We put in a bid that was not accepted - St Js put in a bid that was - ergo they outbid us.

Rod / CC had better have something up their sleeve such as Agogo ready to play on Sunday :fuming:

A-HA! Someone with all the inside knowledge. Spill the beans.

3pm
21-07-2011, 04:09 PM
What about the bigger picture? Why are we scrambling about 3 days before the start of the season for players? This should have been REMOVED done when we knew we were releasing a dozen players.

Amateurs.

stubru59
21-07-2011, 04:10 PM
I'm going to stick my neck out and say not signing Sheridan is the least of our problems.

HibsMax
21-07-2011, 04:14 PM
And I will say again that things change very quickly in football, we are not party to what's gone on, another target just may have become available, or other targets may now be more appealling due to the fact that we can't get Sheridan permanently.

I know that there have been good loan deals in the past, sometimes they work very well. But ultimately at the end of the 6 months it would be extremely likely that Sheridan would be off - obviously CC doesn't fancy that.

Of course I may be completely wrong, maybe we have genuinely lost out to St. Johnstone, and maybe everyone is right to panic. I'll see how I feel on Sunday.

That's what's most infuriating about all of this. We don't have complete information and we have lines of people throwing themselves into traffic because they can't believe how Hibs have screwed up again. Every single move Hibs makes is under the microscope but, IMO, you can't scrutinise that closely without giving yourself a heart attack. IMO it's better to wait until the dust has settled before getting overly upset. I will be equally upset if this piece of business turns out to hurt Hibs but as it stands, we don't know that it will and we've still to kick a ball in anger yet.

EK_Hibs
21-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Deary me, I suggested Sheridan was going to St Johnstone in a thread yesterday after reading about it on Sickback. I assumed it was baws!!!

Arch Stanton
21-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Of course not. If this nonsense about wanting Sheridan permanently but not on loan was in any way true, any loan signings this summer would be pure hypocrisy from Hibs.

If a year long loan was available I'm pretty sure St J would have gone for that. So, if it wasn't, do you reckon taking Sheridan on a six-month loan would make everyone on here happy?

JohnScott
21-07-2011, 04:16 PM
OMG, oh well the search goes on.:rolleyes:

They'll be searching for fans too Blackpool. That really is ripping the piss!

WindyMiller
21-07-2011, 04:17 PM

Calderwood GTF!!!!!!!

Do I win a prize?

At The Edge
21-07-2011, 04:17 PM
By January we'll be so far ahead at the top of the table that we won't even need strikers.

Sorry, this thread needs at least one sensible post. :wink:

yep it'll be like the current F1 championship, where Seb Vettel is so far ahead he can not turn up at the next 2 GP's and still win the championship,
Hibs will be so far ahead of the Uglies, by xmas that they'll just present the championship title there and then.

:na na:

HibsMax
21-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Don't care if they're begged stolen or borrowed, just get somebody in - the squad's bare-er$ed.

I do care. I don't want a team of players on loan because even if they do give us some success on the park we know it's for a very limited time only. I don't want a Hibs team that will be successful next season. I want a Hibs team that is successful for the next few seasons.

That said, I do agree with what you're saying insomuch as that we need more players and refusing to sign anyone on a loan deal at the expense of leaving us short is not a great move. I just don't want it to become SOP.

Golden Bear
21-07-2011, 04:21 PM
The timing of Hibs press release on Sheridan this morning suggests that the Club was well aware that this was happening and it was an attempt to pacify the Hibs support.

I can't say it's made me feel any better right now to be honest.

:bitchy:

RIP
21-07-2011, 04:25 PM
No wonder he signed fot them over this farcical club. I've genuinely never been so ****ing pissed off with Hibs, I've got my season ticket but I'm honestly in two minds about wether or not to go on Sunday. It's utterly deflating and I know a few folk who are considering chucking it altogether. The negativity is like a disease and it's came from the very top. The penny-pinching fat cats in the boardroom and CC can GTF.

Hibs12thMan through thick and thin ma er sse :faf:

You have got to be kidding me? St f****** Johnstone? I wouldn't mind losing him to a championship/lge 1 club in England but St Johnstone?! The board need to really come out and tell us what went wrong. No disrespect to St Johnstone but surely we should be more richer than them. Totally pissed off. We need new players signed urgently as this current team doesn't look like a top six team.GET IT SORTED NOW!

What a shambles we are.

Regardless of why we haven't managed to sign Sheridan, this is another morale denting story days before the season starts. CC clearly thought the player could improve the squad and I think
it would be fair to say most Hibs fans would have seen this as a very good signing too. Not
to be yet again and the negativity continues for another day....

WTF ?!?!?

You drama queens fair crack me up - where's your bottle FFS!.

We've signed SEVEN PLAYERS in SEVEN MONTHS already. We only want PERMANENT signings. Loan deals were the "Unworkable Legacy" that Rod referred to in his statement We are returning to a youth policy after years of journeymen signings. The only short term deals are people who actually want to be here or work for the manager - Ivan, Garry, Sodje, Thornhill, Agogo.

Sheridan obviously didn't so it was Ta Ta time :bye:

HibsMax
What about the bigger picture? Why are we scrambling about 3 days before the start of the season for players? This should have been f'in done when we knew we were releasing a dozen players.

Amateurs.

I think Hibs might be taking a different approach to signings this time around. We've signed so many "wage thiefs" over the past few years, maybe the plan is to try and avoid that this time around?

All of that taken into consideration, it is still worrying that we are so short of players this close to the start of the season. This probably won't be a popular opinion but I think I would rather Hibs were a little short on players than have too many crap ones. Not so few players that a couple of injuries means we're playing ball boys though.

sven nil
I give up.Please do

RickyS
21-07-2011, 04:26 PM
maybe RP knows there is about to be movement with CC so pulled out signing a CC player?
just a thought

Beefster
21-07-2011, 04:26 PM
If a year long loan was available I'm pretty sure St J would have gone for that. So, if it wasn't, do you reckon taking Sheridan on a six-month loan would make everyone on here happy?

Not as happy as signing him permanently and some would have complained that we were only putting him in the shop window but I think that most would have been reasonably happy at the squad being strengthened in the short-term, especially given our current lack of fit strikers.

Captain Trips
21-07-2011, 04:28 PM
I wonder now what plans E,F and G are?

.Sean.
21-07-2011, 04:28 PM

Away and ram it, and that 'elitist' and downright cringeworthy singing section. REMOVED

HibsMax
21-07-2011, 04:31 PM
Why is it when Hibs miss (or skip) a potential signing there is so much anger? Consider this, out of all the players that were recently released, would you have been happy if those signing opportunities were missed in the first place? Sometimes a missed opportunity is not a bad thing. Hibs get it tight when we sign duds. They also get it tight when we miss a potential signing.

I'll use Hart as an example again. So many people happy he signed. So many people unhappy that he is still around. I wonder how much anger there would have been last year if the Hart deal had fallen through? Hindsight is 20-20.

Dinkydoo
21-07-2011, 04:31 PM
Not sure what to make of this at all.

If we have someone else waiting in the wings of better or similar quality then not signing Sheridan isn't a big deal.

If however the window closes and we still don't have more first team options up front then being "outbid" by St J is going to be a new low for me in my time supporting Hibs.

Wtf indeed.

Captain Trips
21-07-2011, 04:32 PM

I wouldnt have been that impressed with another short term deal, to be honest Hibs should have had their business down a lot longer ago IMO, I accept a loan or 2 after all the main folk are in not as a key figure. Unfortunatley as usual stuff to do with on the park looking like amateur hour.

Dunbar Hibee
21-07-2011, 04:32 PM
I'm more embarrassed more than anything. Not embarrassed to be a Hibs fan, but embarrassed about the ***** that run our club. They can just **** off right now, and take Calderwood with them.

.Sean.
21-07-2011, 04:34 PM
I'm more embarrassed more than anything. Not embarrassed to be a Hibs fan, but embarrassed about the ***** that run our club. They can just **** off right now, and take Calderwood with them.
Bang on the money B :aok:

JohnScott
21-07-2011, 04:36 PM

We've signed SEVEN PLAYERS in SEVEN MONTHS already. We only want PERMANENT signings. Loan deals were the "Unworkable Legacy" that Rod referred to in his statement We are returning to a youth policy after years of journeymen signings. The only short term deals are people who actually want to be here or work for the manager - Ivan, Garry, Sodje, Thornhill, Agogo.

Where's your bottle? What a REMOVED

Captain Trips
21-07-2011, 04:37 PM

Even with the possible scenario that the player wasnt as commited is irrelevant, Petrie should have gone with Hughes I said it then and now Hibs should be on a stable upwards curve last season was a disgrace. I do not rate CC as a manager to do job here.

HibsMax
21-07-2011, 04:37 PM

I would be embarrassed if this turned out to be a case of us losing out to St. Johnstone.

I would not be embarrassed if Hibs decided that the deal on offer was not to their liking so they backed off.

I think those are really the two main options. I don't know which, if either, is the truth. The frustrating thing for me is the number of posters on here who apparently don't need to know what the truth is before forming an opinion and, typically, blaming the club.

Captain Trips
21-07-2011, 04:42 PM
I would be embarrassed if this turned out to be a case of us losing out to St. Johnstone.

I would not be embarrassed if Hibs decided that the deal on offer was not to their liking so they backed off.

I think those are really the two main options. I don't know which, if either, is the truth. The frustrating thing for me is the number of posters on here who apparently don't need to know what the truth is before forming an opinion and, typically, blaming the club.

I will say forgetting today, I have had no time for Petrie for a long time, I think his football acumen is awful, CC I think is not the man for Hibs, I said that on appointment and then gave him full backing 9 months later I felt same as on day 1 he is not right.

Aubenas
21-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Some interesting reactions here given that, if it was penny pinching, then that's the result of lots of folk not buying season tickets Simples

Beefster
21-07-2011, 04:45 PM
Why is it when Hibs miss (or skip) a potential signing there is so much anger? Consider this, out of all the players that were recently released, would you have been happy if those signing opportunities were missed in the first place? Sometimes a missed opportunity is not a bad thing. Hibs get it tight when we sign duds. They also get it tight when we miss a potential signing.

I'll use Hart as an example again. So many people happy he signed. So many people unhappy that he is still around. I wonder how much anger there would have been last year if the Hart deal had fallen through? Hindsight is 20-20.

Because, as we discussed earlier, it happens far more than we ever 'win' a player. If it happened that way, losing a potential signing to St Johnstone, for whatever reason, is ludicrous and raises even more questions of those running the club.

As for Hart, most folk were happy, based on previous experience of him. However, yet again, we were linked with Hart for a long time, no-one else was interested. If there had been competition, past form tells us that he wouldn't be at Hibs (which in this case would be a good thing). We don't compete for players these days, we sign the ones that no-one else is really that interested in.

Sheridan may have turned out to be a huddy but Hart's major problem is his complete lack of pace as he's aged. It's not that he wasn't a decent player in his heyday.

Spike Mandela
21-07-2011, 04:47 PM

Either version of the truth. is pathetic.

We play Celtic in three days time. We've had all summer to prepare a team to face the potential champions. We have one fit recognised striker. Who cares what the excuses are now, we have failed to provide a strong enough team for our first game of the season. Epic fail as my daughter would say!

IWasThere2016
21-07-2011, 04:47 PM

So we had him training and on trial without knowing there might be a loan deal involved. We're good!

snooky
21-07-2011, 04:49 PM
The timing of Hibs press release on Sheridan this morning suggests that the Club was well aware that this was happening and it was an attempt to pacify the Hibs support.

I can't say it's made me feel any better right now to be honest.

:bitchy:

I would expect them to say something but the problem is that whenever they do say something it's either too late to be of value and/or said in a way that sounds like they're playing with us.

IMO, likes

Peevemor
21-07-2011, 04:50 PM
Why's everyone going so mental? We don't know why he signed for St Johnstone and not us.

Maybe it was CC's decision to commit only a certain amount of his budget to Sheridan - and that any more wasn't worth it.

Maybe CC didn't want a loan deal of only 6 months.

We simply don't know.

This place is becoming ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Albion Hibs
21-07-2011, 04:50 PM

Good point according to this board we have missed out on any player that has left a club and signed for another throughout the country, if they had there way we would have signed a squad of around 250 players - it is farcical.

The club and manager are quite clear, we wanted to buy a player, not rent one. If we signed CS and he played poorly in the first game the club would get it tight on this board for signing a player and playing him ahead of our own younger players - If I remember correctly that was much the same when we signed Towell, plenty of folk on here thought it should be our own players / younger players that got a chance.

I have said it many times before, the club will never be able to please all of the people all of the time, I am starting to think the club will never be able to please some .net people...any of the time.

Billy Whizz
21-07-2011, 04:52 PM
Too be honest I'm not that bothered. He wasn't good enough for Celtic and only did reasonably well at St Johnstone on loan.
Hopefully CC has someone else up his sleeve!

IWasThere2016
21-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Why's everyone going so mental? We don't know why he signed for St Johnstone and not us.

Maybe it was CC's decision to commit only a certain amount of his budget to Sheridan - and that any more wasn't worth it.

We simply don't know.

We're < 3 days to SPL ko, and have one recognised striker available - that's unacceptable to many/most and understandable IMHO.

HibsMax
21-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Either version of the truth. is pathetic.

We play Celtic in three days time. We've had all summer to prepare a team to face the potential champions. We have one fit recognised striker. Who cares what the excuses are now, we have failed to provide a strong enough team for our first game of the season. Epic fail as my daughter would say!

I agree we need more players (been saying that all along). We have one fit striker, true, but we did have two up until recently. That's unfortunate and while I think it's unfair to blame Hibs for that, we can blame them for not having enough cover. We did have Sheridan but obviously that didn't work out for whatever reason. We do have Agogo but that is not settled yet. It's not like we have been sitting idle.

Spike Mandela
21-07-2011, 04:57 PM

We simply don't know.

Yeah why bother. Ridiculous Hibs fans will take any old *****. Ridiculous to even want our business done before the season starts. These Ridiculous Hibs fans actually expect to pay only £400 pound for a season ticket and still expect their manager and board to provide a decent team. Ridiculous.

Did I say it was Ridiculous?

Bishop Hibee
21-07-2011, 04:58 PM
Main thing is to have 2 more strikers in place before the window shuts. No striker from last season deserved to be kept on bar Sodje and arguably Riordan but that wasn't going to happen.

Terry Butcher is quite right when he calls the early start to the season "farcical" http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14240916.stm Omits the fact that thousands of fans of SPL clubs are on holiday.

My biggest gripe re Hibs is the continuing uncertainty over whether CC is staying or going, not about Sheridan signing for St J.

Arch Stanton
21-07-2011, 04:59 PM
I wouldnt have been that impressed with another short term deal, to be honest Hibs should have had their business down a lot longer ago IMO, I accept a loan or 2 after all the main folk are in not as a key figure. Unfortunatley as usual stuff to do with on the park looking like amateur hour.

It was only a few days ago that CSKA were asking Hibs to up the asking price - I can just imagine the ruckus on here if we had walked away while he was there waiting to be signed. :agree:

Captain Trips
21-07-2011, 04:59 PM
We're < 3 days to SPL ko, and have one recognised striker available - that's unacceptable to many/most and understandable IMHO.

Indeed, perhaps the carry on of last 3 to 4 weeks with the CC leaving stuff has now come home to roost as maybe everything wasnt getting done as it was reported too, I find it a strange coincidence there is basically no transfer activity for 3 weeks and once the talk has died down a bit over last week or so movement again. Once again IMO the area to suffer again is the pitch. Not good enough, not even close to good enough.

Anyone he buys now even if he had planned to buy them weeks ago will be seen as a panic, CC is ****ed IMO.