PDA

View Full Version : Sheridan signs for ST Johnstone...WTF??

Pages : 1 [2] 3

bingo70
21-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Main thing is to have 2 more strikers in place before the window shuts. No striker from last season deserved to be kept on bar Sodje and arguably Riordan but that wasn't going to happen.

Terry Butcher is quite right when he calls the early start to the season "farcical" http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14240916.stm Omits the fact that thousands of fans of SPL clubs are on holiday.

My biggest gripe re Hibs is the continuing uncertainty over whether CC is staying or going, not about Sheridan signing for St J.

When we've had all summer to sign players i don't see whats so significant about the end of august, everyone is back from their holidays now and the season is about to start so players want to get clubs now, not in six weeks, anyone thats available then will be available now.

Cropley10
21-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Because, as we discussed earlier, it happens far more than we ever 'win' a player. If it happened that way, losing a potential signing to St Johnstone, for whatever reason, is ludicrous and raises even more questions of those running the club.

As for Hart, most folk were happy, based on previous experience of him. However, yet again, we were linked with Hart for a long time, no-one else was interested. If there had been competition, past form tells us that he wouldn't be at Hibs (which in this case would be a good thing). We don't compete for players these days, we sign the ones that no-one else is really that interested in.

Sheridan may have turned out to be a huddy but Hart's major problem is his complete lack of pace as he's aged. It's not that he wasn't a decent player in his heyday.

Funny how folk bring up Hart isn't it. Hart never came on trial, didn't play in friendlies, had he done so we'd have realised he was gantin. By contrast CS has been on trial and has impressed.

As you say beaten to another potential signing, getting closer to the Joe Keenan end of the list now with just days to go.

Let's face it there is no upside to this situation.

Emerald
21-07-2011, 05:03 PM
The worrying thing about this is the message being sent out to the fans, its a PR disaster. What with the issues surrounding the manager (they have not gone away) and now this.

We needed a right back at Christmas and the issue was resolved in the short term with Towell. We must have known at some point he wasn't coming back and yet no new right back has been brought in. Then we needed strikers, and three days before the season begins we have one fit (?) striker to choose from. Is pre season not the best time to get the team fit and playing as a unit? I'm sure the lack of singnings is a result of the CC situation but if not, it is shambolic preperation, which it is in anyway. Its ok getting rid of the dross but we need to have 11 first team player on the park to face Celtic on the first day of the season, not six weeks in. The stadium will be half empty on Sunday and it will be downhill from there. Unless????

PaulSmith
21-07-2011, 05:03 PM
What would everyone think if they learned that our manager that let him go, rather than our board, because he didn't want Sheridan to put himself in the shop window and lose him in January, instead he wanted a striker for a minimum of a season and when the player made it clear that a loan deal was to advertise himself to bigger clubs and that he had no intention of staying in the SPL past January, the manager pulled the plug on the deal?

I'd say that you take what you can now and not cut off yer nose to spite your face. The only way CS would get a move to a bigger club would be to rattle in 10-15 goals for Hibs up until Xmas.

Arch Stanton
21-07-2011, 05:08 PM
When we've had all summer to sign players i don't see whats so significant about the end of august, everyone is back from their holidays now and the season is about to start so players want to get clubs now, not in six weeks, anyone thats available then will be available now.

That's a bit simplistic isn't it - you make it sound like the old hiring of farm hands.

Personally, I don't see how any player who reckons he can make the grade in England would be in too much of a rush to commit themselves to a contract up here.

Saorsa
21-07-2011, 05:10 PM
Some interesting reactions here given that, if it was penny pinching, then that's the result of lots of folk not buying season tickets SimplesFolk have paying paying up for years while the product on the park has continued on it's journey doon the pan and round the U-bend. Every season I give Hibs almost twice as much as I have tae and every season it's another kick in the baws. Now a lot of folk have a had a gut full and I dinnae blame them. If this season turns out anything like the last I'll be joining them, it's getting ****in' boring now.

Petrie & Co. are the ones running Hibs and they are resposible for the situation Hibs are in. If they're happy tae take the credit for the off field stuff they can bloody well take the flak for the ****in' farce we have become on it and the blame for the resultant drop in crowds.

Wotherspiniesta
21-07-2011, 05:10 PM
Not read through 9 pages of this, but I just want to say one thing:

How embarassing! :bitchy:

Arch Stanton
21-07-2011, 05:11 PM
I'd say that you take what you can now and not cut off yer face to spite your nose. The only way CS would get a move to a bigger club would be to rattle in 10-15 goals for Hibs up until Xmas.

After which we would all send him on his way with our best regards? :greengrin

bingo70
21-07-2011, 05:13 PM
The worrying thing about this is the message being sent out to the fans, its a PR disaster. What with the issues surrounding the manager (they have not gone away) and now this.

We needed a right back at Christmas and the issue was resolved in the short term with Towell. We must have known at some point he wasn't coming back and yet no new right back has been brought in. Then we needed strikers, and three days before the season begins we have one fit (?) striker to choose from. Is pre season not the best time to get the team fit and playing as a unit? I'm sure the lack of singnings is a result of the CC situation but if not, it is shambolic preperation, which it is in anyway. Its ok getting rid of the dross but we need to have 11 first team player on the park to face Celtic on the first day of the season, not six weeks in. The stadium will be half empty on Sunday and it will be downhill from there. Unless????

Completely agree.

It appears we're putting all our eggs in one basket in the hope of getting Towell back, now IMO he looked a no bad player with some potential but lets not forget we couldn't keep a clean sheet with him in the team so instead of fannying about all summer waiting to hear if celtic are going to let us have there player why not sign someone different.

Hibs are really pissing me off the now and i'm normally a pretty optimistic fan, happy clapper if you like, and if this is how fed up i am before a balls been kicked then i dread to think how i'll be feeling in a few weeks, even if we do sign good players at the end of the window it'll just piss me off because they should be here now, not 6 weeks into the bloody season

Think i need a pint

RIP
21-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Away and ram it, and that 'elitist' and downright cringeworthy singing section. REMOVED.

Elitist - ha! We are a' ordinary Hibbies Sean mate. You were in the thick of it last year singing wi the rest of us.

The big difference is we are sticking wi Hibs - you are chucking yer toys oot the pram, ripping up your Season Ticket and encouraging others to do the same when we've already signed SEVEN PLAYERS IN SEVEN MONTHS and have a good crop of youngsters in development

But hey ho - if you want to avoid the facts of the situation and have a pop at all things green and white - then knock yourself out :bye:

HibsMax
21-07-2011, 05:17 PM
Funny how folk bring up Hart isn't it. Hart never came on trial, didn't play in friendlies, had he done so we'd have realised he was gantin. By contrast CS has been on trial and has impressed.

As you say beaten to another potential signing, getting closer to the Joe Keenan end of the list now with just days to go.

Let's face it there is no upside to this situation.

I only brought up Hart as an example of a player who came in with great expectations and failed to deliver. I didn't intentionally single him out, I was just coming up with an example of where things don't always work out. People seem to be of the opinion that not signing Sheridan is the a huge blow to us. I think it is a blow, Hibs wanted the guy, but I don't know that it signals the end of the world for Hibs.

There is a potential upside to this. Perhaps Hibs have someone else lined up already? I'm not saying that to be a happy clapper but you said there is no upside but you're saying that without knowing what is going on in the background. We have to wait and see how devastating this has been. If we end up with no new strikers at all, I will say that this has been a bad bit of business. But if we sign Agogo and someone else, maybe it's not such a bad thing after all.

As usual, we're not that far apart, I just prefer to wait and see what happens while others prefer to jump to conclusions.

bingo70
21-07-2011, 05:18 PM
That's a bit simplistic isn't it - you make it sound like the old hiring of farm hands.

Personally, I don't see how any player who reckons he can make the grade in England would be in too much of a rush to commit themselves to a contract up here.

There's hundreds (in fact maybe thousands) of unattached footballers through Europe that'd love a contract in the SPL, especially when they could use that as a stepping stone to the english leagues, i don't see why we need to wait and hang about till 6 weeks into our season to see what English players will settle for a move up here.

Does CC have any contacts from outwith Britain? I know Sheridan was coming from Bulgaria but sounds like he was the one trying to get the move back here not us finding him over there.

HibsMax
21-07-2011, 05:19 PM
I'd say that you take what you can now and not cut off yer nose to spite your face. The only way CS would get a move to a bigger club would be to rattle in 10-15 goals for Hibs up until Xmas.

I would agree with that if there are no other strikers on our radar. While I would hate to lose a 10-15 goal striker after only a few months, I would prefer to have had his services for that time.....if a different option was not available to us. I'm still hoping there is.

RIP
21-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Where's your bottle? What a REMOVED

:faf: Somebody with a sense of humour at last :thumbsup:

HibsMax
21-07-2011, 05:24 PM
There's hundreds (in fact maybe thousands) of unattached footballers through Europe that'd love a contract in the SPL, especially when they could use that as a stepping stone to the english leagues, i don't see why we need to wait and hang about till 6 weeks into our season to see what English players will settle for a move up here.

Does CC have any contacts from outwith Britain? I know Sheridan was coming from Bulgaria but sounds like he was the one trying to get the move back here not us finding him over there.

Is that a real number? If so, how many of the 100s or 1000s:
1. play in positions that we need to fill?
2. are good enough to play for Hibs?
3. are affordable?
4. would want to join Hibs?

I'm not saying you're incorrect but I think that we need to answer these questions, and more, before we start saying there are 1000s of players out there. By the time we apply all the criteria, there might only be 5 players that fit Hibs needs, and we might not know about any of them (I assume there are hidden gems throughout Europe).

stokesmessiah
21-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Why's everyone going so mental? We don't know why he signed for St Johnstone and not us.

Maybe it was CC's decision to commit only a certain amount of his budget to Sheridan - and that any more wasn't worth it.

Maybe CC didn't want a loan deal of only 6 months.

We simply don't know.

This place is becoming ridiculous. :rolleyes:

:agree:

Hakim Sar
21-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Not overly bothered as I think Sheridan is Joe average but we have shown ourselves up by investing so much time and attention on him. Clearly wanted to sign him and the backtracking from the club now is shameful.There is not sufficient evidence for me that the squad has improved. Last year was torture and I'm at breaking point.

Arch Stanton
21-07-2011, 05:29 PM

Could be a good plan, I agree.

Mind you, I actually thought Vlad's plan to ship them in from Lithuania was a great idea! Oops.

Cropley10
21-07-2011, 05:29 PM
I only brought up Hart as an example of a player who came in with great expectations and failed to deliver. I didn't intentionally single him out, I was just coming up with an example of where things don't always work out. People seem to be of the opinion that not signing Sheridan is the a huge blow to us. I think it is a blow, Hibs wanted the guy, but I don't know that it signals the end of the world for Hibs.

There is a potential upside to this. Perhaps Hibs have someone else lined up already? I'm not saying that to be a happy clapper but you said there is no upside but you're saying that without knowing what is going on in the background. We have to wait and see how devastating this has been. If we end up with no new strikers at all, I will say that this has been a bad bit of business. But if we sign Agogo and someone else, maybe it's not such a bad thing after all.

As usual, we're not that far apart, I just prefer to wait and see what happens while others prefer to jump to conclusions.

My point about Hart is we didn't realise he was woeful until it was too late. This is in contrast to CS who we HAVE seen. CS was far more likely to be a success based on the fact he's not slow and c rap.

None of us know what will happen in the next 48 hours but unless someone better does come then there's no upside.

TheGreenMan
21-07-2011, 05:52 PM
Just read all 9 pages of this and dont think anyone has mentioned this as a possible scenario as to why he never signed with us;

I'm sure I read somewhere that the reason he is unsettled in Bulgaria is because the Sofia manager who signed him either left or was binned shortly after he signed him and CS ended up in limbo in a foreign country with a new boss who never signed him and was not in his plans. Is it beyond possibility that CS was unwilling to commit to Hibs because of any possible uncertainty over Calderwoods future and CS maybe never wanted to put himself in that same position again of being at a club with a new boss coming in when CC leaves and finds himself not in the plans again?

Just saying that a lot of players may choose not to commit to a club if they dont know that the guy who wanted them will be there or not.

Whatever the situation is, its a joke. He would have been a very good signing for us. So fed up with Hibs and the season aint even started.

Sir David Gray
21-07-2011, 06:20 PM
I'm not actually too sure what to think of this.

I think it could well be a case of Hibs only wanting Sheridan on a permanent contract and Sheridan wanting to go out on loan so he went to St Johnstone, who were willing to offer those terms. If that's the case then I could live with that. However that doesn't tie in with media reports a week or so ago which stated that Sheridan's club, CSKA Sofia, wanted to recoup most of the £350,000 fee which they paid to Celtic when they signed him last year. They're obviously not going to do that with a loan deal.

If it does turn out to be the case of St Johnstone simply being a more appealing prospect for Sheridan then major questions must be asked at Hibs because that would signal that we have hit an all-time low.

I just don't understand how Hibs could have released a statement only yesterday, with quotes attributed to Calderwood, saying that they were still keen on signing Sheridan and were just looking to hear back from his club on Hibs' offer. 24 hours later, Sheridan goes to St Johnstone and Hibs release another statement, again with quotes attributed to Calderwood, saying that they had other "preferred options" and that he only wanted to focus on players who wanted to be at the club.

I'm not necessarily bothered one way or another that Sheridan has gone elsewhere but with 3 days left before the new season begins, it's really worrying that we still haven't added more strikers.

matty_f
21-07-2011, 06:25 PM
I'm not actually too sure what to think of this.

I think it could well be a case of Hibs only wanting Sheridan on a permanent contract and Sheridan wanting to go out on loan so he went to St Johnstone, who were willing to offer those terms. If that's the case then I could live with that. However that doesn't tie in with media reports a week or so ago which stated that Sheridan's club, CSKA Sofia, wanted to recoup most of the £350,000 fee which they paid to Celtic when they signed him last year. They're obviously not going to do that with a loan deal.

If it does turn out to be the case of St Johnstone simply being a more appealing prospect for Sheridan then major questions must be asked at Hibs because that would signal that we have hit an all-time low.

I just don't understand how Hibs could have released a statement only yesterday, with quotes attributed to Calderwood, saying that they were still keen on signing Sheridan and were just looking to hear back from his club on Hibs' offer. 24 hours later, Sheridan goes to St Johnstone and Hibs release another statement, again with quotes attributed to Calderwood, saying that they had other "preferred options" and that he only wanted to focus on players who wanted to be at the club.

I'm not necessarily bothered one way or another that Sheridan has gone elsewhere but with 3 days left before the new season begins, it's really worrying that we still haven't added more strikers.

They have more chance of recouping the money if Sheridan is in the shop window, hence agreeing to the loan - it gives Sheridan exposure and if anyone likes what they see they can bid directly to Sofia.

As for the statement, why is it hard to understand that Hibs make an offer on our terms, it doesn't suit and Sofia and/or Sheridan want something different. Hibs up to that point want to do business but don't want to do it on the terms that Sheridan and his club or agent are looking for, and so walk away from the deal, no longer interested.

blackpoolhibs
21-07-2011, 06:34 PM
They have more chance of recouping the money if Sheridan is in the shop window, hence agreeing to the loan - it gives Sheridan exposure and if anyone likes what they see they can bid directly to Sofia.

As for the statement, why is it hard to understand that Hibs make an offer on our terms, it doesn't suit and Sofia and/or Sheridan want something different. Hibs up to that point want to do business but don't want to do it on the terms that Sheridan and his club or agent are looking for, and so walk away from the deal, no longer interested.

We have no fit strikers at the club at this moment in time, our terms are to put as good a side as we possibly can on the park in 3 days. Are we now saying loan deals are not for us, its only players who commit themselves to the club for a number of years we are now after?

We can dress this up anyway we want, but imo we have just lost a player to St Johnstone, either a loan player or a permanent signing. We need players, we need forwards. Calderwood wanted him, but he's now at St Johnstone. It will all end up fine as we have a long list of players we just have to go through. :rolleyes:

How many times does this club have to kick us in the baws before they realise we will bite back?

LeithBoozy
21-07-2011, 06:39 PM
This only proves that Hibs normal policy of saying nothing until a player is signed, is the way to go. That way stops all the dramatics, when like today it all falls through.

matty_f
21-07-2011, 06:40 PM
This only proves that Hibs normal policy of saying nothing until a player is signed, is the way to go. That way stops all the dramatics, when like today it all falls through.

:top marks

Judas Iscariot
21-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Some interesting reactions here given that, if it was penny pinching, then that's the result of lots of folk not buying season tickets Simples I love how it's now "Its the fans fault" that we're missing out & not signing players :cool2:

Peevemor
21-07-2011, 06:42 PM
We're < 3 days to SPL ko, and have one recognised striker available - that's unacceptable to many/most and understandable IMHO.

Obviously the situation is far from ideal, but if the policy is to aim for quality over quantity then perhaps GO'C, Sodje, possibly Agogo will be the main strikers (remembering we should see more goals from midfield - Sproule in particular + O'Hanlon from set pieces). We'll see who else he has in mind in due course. Although the season starts in a few days, there are still 6 weeks or so left of the transfer window.

We'll have to accept that footballers who are any good (and know it) won't rush to sign for Hib if they think they can get a couple of grand more per week elsewhere.

Yeah why bother. Ridiculous Hibs fans will take any old *****. Ridiculous to even want our business done before the season starts. These Ridiculous Hibs fans actually expect to pay only £400 pound for a season ticket and still expect their manager and board to provide a decent team. Ridiculous.

Did I say it was Ridiculous?

No, what's ridiculous is that half of .net are behaving like "Angry Frank" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETqncRvQHWk

matty_f
21-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Obviously the situation is far from ideal, but if the policy is to aim for quality over quantity then perhaps GO'C, Sodje, possibly Agogo will be the main strikers (remembering we should see more goals from midfield - Sproule in particular + O'Hanlon from set pieces). We'll see who else he has in mind in due course. Although the season starts in a few days, there are still 6 weeks or so left of the transfer window.

We'll have to accept that footballers who are any good (and know it) won't rush to sign for Hib if they think they can get a couple of grand more per week elsewhere.

No, what's ridiculous is that half of .net are behaving like "Angry Frank" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETqncRvQHWk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdO4epI7oyg&amp;feature=related

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-07-2011, 06:48 PM
:top marks the new reality, or has it been like that for a while but we haven't wanted to see it becasue it's Hibs and we love them? Its been quite visible in this neck of the woods.

CRAZYHIBBY
21-07-2011, 06:56 PM
I have heard tonight that Calderwood has "more attractive options" .........now either that means sheridan is too ugly for hibs or there are better strikers out there that we are interested in.........Agogo is pretty much a done deal but they are waiting on paper work

Baldy Foghorn
21-07-2011, 06:56 PM

Different with CS though as he played as a trialist against East Fife and scored, so we knew he was on the radar

Baldy Foghorn
21-07-2011, 06:57 PM
We have no fit strikers at the club at this moment in time, our terms are to put as good a side as we possibly can on the park in 3 days. Are we now saying loan deals are not for us, its only players who commit themselves to the club for a number of years we are now after?

We can dress this up anyway we want, but imo we have just lost a player to St Johnstone, either a loan player or a permanent signing. We need players, we need forwards. Calderwood wanted him, but he's now at St Johnstone. It will all end up fine as we have a long list of players we just have to go through. :rolleyes:

How many times does this club have to kick us in the baws before they realise we will bite back?

This is the crux of the matter, poor poor planning on Hibs part IMO

down the slope
21-07-2011, 07:05 PM

Well said that man in Lancashire , there seems to be a groundswell building as to the way we are run as a football club. I got laughed out of court by more than a few on here when i dared to suggest that we were run by people who knew nothing about football but maybe just maybe the scales are falling from the eyes of some more. All the greetin that comes from me is because i see us in a dangerous place , we could go into freefall if the new season starts badly and i don't think i'm alone in thinking that. These are crucial days that lie ahead and this should have been apparent to the board a long time ago but instead they have fannied about trying to save face over the manager instead of rectifying the deficiencies in the team which have hardly been touched on in my opinion .

Spike Mandela
21-07-2011, 07:11 PM

Yeah all the dramatics!! Hibs are going the right way to take all the passion out of supporting a football team. Soon we will all be buttoned up ,calm and restrained and only raise the occassional eyebrow betraying our excitement in response to a neatly written accounts ledger.

Apathy rules.

Alfred E Newman
21-07-2011, 07:13 PM
Would not be shedding any tears at the loss of this guy. He always seemed a bit of a cart horse to me. What I would like to know is, why on earth was he playing on Saturday when it must have been quite clear to Calderwood that it was highly unlikely he was going to sign for us?

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-07-2011, 07:13 PM
I agree and disagree with this.I agree that signing him on a loan could be good if he delivered and would help bolster our attack.However, maybe Hibs want to try and do what we're all crying out to be done...........build a team. You don't build a team around loan signings, players that will be off just after you've gotten used to them being here. Say he did sign and banged in a few goals. Great, Hibs have a goal scorer. The downside is that he might have attracted attention from elsewhere and then someone swoops in for him and offer him a deal that CSKA finds more appealing? Going by that way of thinking is signing O'Connor for 1 season going to help in this regard? There isnae much difference at all, if they do well in the short term they'll be offski!Beggars cannae be choosers tho, so, a 6 month deal wouldve been fine by me!

LeithBoozy
21-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Different with CS though as he played as a trialist against East Fife and scored, so we knew he was on the radar

Good point baldy, we will just need to put them in a Freddy KRUGGER mask and list them as trialist's

Franck Stanton
21-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Just read all 9 pages of this and dont think anyone has mentioned this as a possible scenario as to why he never signed with us;

I'm sure I read somewhere that the reason he is unsettled in Bulgaria is because the Sofia manager who signed him either left or was binned shortly after he signed him and CS ended up in limbo in a foreign country with a new boss who never signed him and was not in his plans. Is it beyond possibility that CS was unwilling to commit to Hibs because of any possible uncertainty over Calderwoods future and CS maybe never wanted to put himself in that same position again of being at a club with a new boss coming in when CC leaves and finds himself not in the plans again?

Just saying that a lot of players may choose not to commit to a club if they dont know that the guy who wanted them will be there or not.

Whatever the situation is, its a joke. He would have been a very good signing for us. So fed up with Hibs and the season aint even started.

Nail - head mate, the sooner the cc farce is over and done with the better. Either way, stay / go, just come out and say what's going on and maybe then we can all move on from this circus that is Easter Road just now. How we can go from having a player on trial, been told that he was wanted and that moves were afoot to sign him, then out of the blue he signs for another SPL club. Complete and utter farce. Almost as bad as Celtic parading MoJo in a Celtic strip in the morning and him being signed by Rangers in the afternoon. Something seriously wrong at Hibs just now, seriously wrong.

matty_f
21-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Nail - head mate, the sooner the cc farce is over and done with the better. Either way, stay / go, just come out and say what's going on and maybe then we can all move on from this circus that is Easter Road just now. How we can go from having a player on trial, been told that he was wanted and that moves were afoot to sign him, then out of the blue he signs for another SPL club. Complete and utter farce. Almost as bad as Celtic parading MoJo in a Celtic strip in the morning and him being signed by Rangers in the afternoon. Something seriously wrong at Hibs just now, seriously wrong.

The CC thing IS over and done with - he said last week that he wanted to be at Hibs, that it's too close to the start of the season for moving to be something that he'd consider.

The only folk keeping the CC farce alive are the folk that won't let it go on here.

Baldy Foghorn
21-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Good point baldy, we will just need to put them in a Freddy KRUGGER mask and list them as trialist's

Sure Rangers did that with Davie Dodds, oh wait no I am wrong:wink:

ArabHibee
21-07-2011, 07:25 PM
The CC thing IS over and done with - he said last week that he wanted to be at Hibs, that it's too close to the start of the season for moving to be something that he'd consider.

The only folk keeping the CC farce alive are the folk that won't let it go on here.

Sorry, when did he say that? Genuine question.

Sir David Gray
21-07-2011, 07:26 PM

I understand the first bit but the way it was being reported over the last few weeks, it seemed as if Sheridan hadn't settled in Bulgaria and wanted out now. CSKA Sofia therefore wanted to sell him and get as much of the money, that they had paid to Celtic, back.

With regards to the two statements in the past 24 hours, I just found it strange that Sheridan had been on trial at the club for the last 2 weeks and up until yesterday, Calderwood seemed really keen and positive about signing him. Surely the terms which all parties were willing to agree on would have been discussed before now and if Hibs and the Bulgarians and/or Sheridan were not in agreement then the deal would have collapsed before now?

The statement today is referring to wanting to sign players who want to be at Hibs. If it was simply the case that the Bulgarians and/or Sheridan had a late change of heart and preferred a loan deal which Hibs weren't willing to agree to, why not just say that in that statement which was released today? I, for one, would not have minded one bit with reading that kind of thing because I would also prefer to see players coming in who are going to commit to the club for longer than 6 months.

In reality, what was actually released today could very well lead people to the conclusion that Cillian Sheridan would rather be at St Johnstone than Hibs. I'm not saying that is definitely the case but it could give people that impression.

Baldy Foghorn
21-07-2011, 07:26 PM

It is far from over and done with, Chris Hughton regards getting Calderwood as "work in progress"....Don't kid yourself Matty, the right money comes in, CC wont be around.....

Dibben
21-07-2011, 07:29 PM
Unfortunately the ill feeling that is creeping into the fans will continue until we actually complete a signing. I have no doubt that we are working hard to secure signatures, but until we actually complete a signing, no-one will be happy. We ain't going to win games because of the players we tried to sign.

Hopefully Agogo will sign, if only to give us an extra player - I say that because I've seen nothing of him. Again, as usual, it gets to the stage where we are desparate for ANY signing...

Judas Iscariot
It is far from over and done with, Chris Hughton regards getting Calderwood as "work in progress"....Don't kid yourself Matty, the right money comes in, CC wont be around..... :agree: I actually "LOL'd" when I read CC's statement about only wanting to have players who "want to be at Hibs".. He musta been pashing his pants when he said that...

Gatecrasher
after a bit of time to think about this, am no that bothered to be honest, we'll get someone else :agree:

LeithBoozy
21-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Yeah all the dramatics!! Hibs are going the right way to take all the passion out of supporting a football team. Soon we will all be buttoned up ,calm and restrained and only raise the occassional eyebrow betraying our excitement in response to a neatly written accounts ledger.

Apathy rules. I would hate it if we were to calm and restrained Spike, I find it helps when a signing falls through, to declare the target as ***** anyway. :greengrin

Judas Iscariot
21-07-2011, 07:32 PM
after a bit of time to think about this, am no that bothered to be honest, we'll get someone else :agree: No doubt we will... Just how gash will they be though?!

Saorsa
21-07-2011, 07:33 PM
after a bit of time to think about this, am no that bothered to be honest, we'll get someone else :agree:Aye, probably from here on the last day of the transfer windae

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/jamie1971/BotB.jpg

Removed
21-07-2011, 07:37 PM
I understand the first bit but the way it was being reported over the last few weeks, it seemed as if Sheridan hadn't settled in Bulgaria and wanted out now. CSKA Sofia therefore wanted to sell him and get as much of the money, that they had paid to Celtic, back.With regards to the two statements in the past 24 hours, I just found it strange that Sheridan had been on trial at the club for the last 2 weeks and up until yesterday, Calderwood seemed really keen and positive about signing him. Surely the terms which all parties were willing to agree on would have been discussed before now and if Hibs and the Bulgarians and/or Sheridan were not in agreement then the deal would have collapsed before now?The statement today is referring to wanting to sign players who want to be at Hibs. If it was simply the case that the Bulgarians and/or Sheridan had a late change of heart and preferred a loan deal which Hibs weren't willing to agree to, why not just say that in that statement which was released today? I, for one, would not have minded one bit with reading that kind of thing because I would also prefer to see players coming in who are going to commit to the club for longer than 6 months.In reality, what was actually released today could very well lead people to the conclusion that Cillian Sheridan would rather be at St Johnstone than Hibs. I'm not saying that is definitely the case but it could give people that impression.:agree: especially the bit about the statement.

Baldy Foghorn
21-07-2011, 07:38 PM
:agree: I actually "LOL'd" when I read CC's statement about only wanting to have players who "want to be at Hibs".. He musta been pashing his pants when he said that...

Irony at it's best from CC

RickyS
21-07-2011, 07:39 PM

could not have put it better myself. spot on

I picked up my 4 season cards today and spent 150 quid in the shop
if this happened yesterday i wouldnae have bothered

Gatecrasher
21-07-2011, 07:40 PM
No doubt we will... Just how gash will they be though?!

Aye, probably from here on the last day of the transfer windae

Just cos you guys are in a bad mood with the club you don't need to try and take me with you :wink:

matty_f
21-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Sorry, when did he say that? Genuine question.
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11792_7030054,00.html - "I want to be Hibernian manager".

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3698230/Calderwood-vow-on-future.html - "I want to be where I am and concentrate on the job in hand."I can understand why the fans would be concerned about losing a manager just days before a new season and having no one to come in."
"The timing of that would be completely wrong for everyone, so that shouldn't happen."
"It's a privilege to be manager of Hibernian football club."

Judas Iscariot
21-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Just cos you guys are in a bad mood with the club you don't need to try and take me with you :wink: Och c'mon mate, it's better doon here :greengrin

Smiggy 7-0
21-07-2011, 07:53 PM
What a f*****g shambles

st.johnstone?????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????

Gatecrasher
21-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Och c'mon mate, it's better doon here :greengrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8gIAzFJAYU

Maybe one day, if around October time and we are in another relegation battle i will be happy to join in the fun :agree:

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8gIAzFJAYU)

DH1875
21-07-2011, 08:01 PM
WTF????? Just found out the news. Can't help but think we've dodged a bullet there but St Johnstone? It's a bad, bad day when we're losing out on players to them :fuming:.

flash
21-07-2011, 08:07 PM
It seems strange the way today has unfolded but i can't believe anyone seriously thinks that this happened because St Johnstone offered him more money than we did.

Then again there are a lot of people around here who want to believe it.

SanFranHibs
21-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Perhaps he only looked at last season results between the clubs.

Hibs 'managed' 2 draws and 2 defeats out of 4 games againts St. Jojhnstone !!!

Maybe someone needs to tell him about the bonnie football team who play at Easter Road.

:wink:

Only thing that might be piss me off is if CC and RP thought at one point he was good enough to sign a 2 year deal but he or his club only wanted a 6 month loan deal and we refused. With our threadbare squad, especially after last season, I would take someone on loan.

But I doubt we will ever get the entire story ! I am not an ardent RP fan but I feel there must be more to this than RP throwing a petulant fit and sucking his thumb because he nly wanted a loan deal.

WhileTheChief..
21-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Stack, Brown, Antell

Hart, Murray, Hanlon, O'Hanlon, Stephens, Booth, Smith,

De Graaf, Stevenson, Galbraith, Wotherspoon, Thornhill, Horner,Taggart, Welsh, Scott, Palsson, Sproule, Crawford

Sodje,O'Connor

That's a first team squad of 24 with Agogo to come making 25. CC said he didn't want any more than that so that's that!

8 from the youth academy which is the only way forward for us. Just got to hope they are good enough. I would imagine that if the board's stated aim of good cup runs and challenging near the top of the league is to come to fruition then they must be confident that these guys can step up.

Spike Mandela
21-07-2011, 08:25 PM
Stack, Brown, Antell

De Graaf, Stevenson, Galbraith, Wotherspoon, Thornhill, Horner,Taggart, Welsh, Scott, Palsson, Sproule, Crawford

Sodje,O'Connor

That's a first team squad of 24 with Agogo to come making 25. CC said he didn't want any more than that so that's that!

8 from the youth academy which is the only way forward for us. Just got to hope they are good enough. I would imagine that if the board's stated aim of good cup runs and challenging near the top of the league is to come to fruition then they must be confident that these guys can step up.

That squad is potential relegation material IMO.

Hope the young lads are ****ing good!

DH1875
21-07-2011, 08:32 PM
It seems strange the way today has unfolded but i can't believe anyone seriously thinks that this happened because St Johnstone offered him more money than we did.

Then again there are a lot of people around here who want to believe it.

I'd hope it DID come down to money cause if it didn't, what the duck does that tell you about the state of our club.

down the slope
21-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Stack, Brown, Antell

Sodje,O'Connor

The trouble is the board is made up of accountants and lawyers and they are confident of what ?.

RIP
21-07-2011, 08:41 PM
THREE HUNDRED POSTS SLAVERING ON ABOUT NOTHING!!

We wanted a permanent signing - CSKA wanted a loan deal - St Johnstone was his only remaining option

Dry Yer Eyes!!

They said football wis a man's game but no for some on Hibs.Net it would seem. Every piece of news is seized upon by a bunch of jessies to invent lies and conspiracies about our club and then beat themselves with twigs in front of the Wailing Wall

Mark79
21-07-2011, 08:45 PM
******* ********* ** ********!!!!!
Thats all I'm saying about it.

R'Albin

We wanted a permanent signing - CSKA wanted a loan deal - St Johnstone was his only remaining option

Dry Yer Eyes!!

They said football wis a man's game but no for some on Hibs.Net it would seem. Every piece of news is seized upon by a bunch of jessies to invent lies and conspiracies about our club and then beat themselves with twigs in front of the Wailing Wall

The Voice Of Reason

Sadly, I agree :agree: :boo hoo:

ballengeich
21-07-2011, 08:46 PM

Dry Yer Eyes!!

Good post. St Johnstone didn't outbid us. They went for a completely different deal. An analogy :- if you were trying to buy a house, but couldn't agree a price then you wouldn't say that someone taking a six-month let on the place had outbid you.

iwasthere1972
21-07-2011, 08:48 PM
Good post. St Johnstone didn't outbid us. They went for a completely different deal. An analogy :- if you were trying to buy a house, but couldn't agree a price then you wouldn't say that someone taking a six-month let on the place had outbid you.

Rod would just squat.

Borderhibbie76
21-07-2011, 08:49 PM

Dry Yer Eyes!!

Oh come on...let's get real does anyone seriously believe this...especially a statement from a manager who has been trying to leave us all bl##dy summer??? Yesterday and this morning CC was on TV and Radio saying he was still confident of making this signing, now all of a sudden we have "other options". No doubt another cheapo journeyman striker that nobody else wants...I wonder how many times Sheridan bags a goal against us this season???

Our club is rotten to the core(much as it kills me to admit it), we are going into a season with the poorest squad I can ever remember and not one fit striker???

It's nothing short of disgusting the way this board are treating us Hibs fans and ENOUGH is ENOUGH!!!

Petrie OUT now and the rest of the board can follow him. Otherwise things are just gonna get worse!!!

JimBHibees
21-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Oh come on...let's get real does anyone seriously believe this...especially a statement from a manager who has been trying to leave us all bl##dy summer??? Yesterday and this morning CC was on TV and Radio saying he was still confident of making this signing, now all of a sudden we have "other options". No doubt another cheapo journeyman striker that nobody else wants...I wonder how many times Sheridan bags a goal against us this season???

Our club is rotten to the core(much as it kills me to admit it), we are going into a season with the poorest squad I can ever remember and not one fit striker???

It's nothing short of disgusting the way this board are treating us Hibs fans and ENOUGH is ENOUGH!!!

Petrie OUT now and the rest of the board can follow him. Otherwise things are just gonna get worse!!!

Bollocks you are just gutted shotgun has went to Ibrox. :greengrin

Removed
21-07-2011, 08:55 PM
No wonder he signed fot them over this farcical club. I've genuinely never been so ****ing pissed off with Hibs, I've got my season ticket but I'm honestly in two minds about wether or not to go on Sunday. It's utterly deflating and I know a few folk who are considering chucking it altogether :faf: :faf: :faf:From the uberfanny who had a pop at me for not going to Celtc park because of the stewards. At least you cheered me up :greengrin

Captain Trips
21-07-2011, 08:57 PM
I find it strange we have the guy here for a few days make moves to sign him and at 11th hour it turns out a loan is what him or his club want, why did it take so long for this to come to pass? Did CS or his club change mind late on? All in all it is a very poor show and seems some clarity was needed early on with this.

If player changed mind what put him off? if club changed mind perhaps looking for bigger fee. Piss up and Brewerys spring to mind at ER just now.

Baldy Foghorn
21-07-2011, 09:00 PM

Dry Yer Eyes!!

So are we not allowed to comment on anything Hibs these days?

Borderhibbie76
21-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Bollocks you are just gutted shotgun has went to Ibrox. :greengrin

Oh the old I must be a closet Yam joke lol..how funny!!!

I rarely post on here and that is why....that's the reaction you get to speaking your mind! I've been a Hibs fan since I was 5, was a ballboy at Easter Road for 6 years and season ticket holder for over 10 yrs. I have never gone into a season so disillusioned and if we keep accepting this current treatment from our board then things will never improve...

FFS we have one striker ready to play on Sunday and how fit he is is utterly questionable??? If you think that is acceptable mate and worth £28 to watch on Sunday...good for you and you must be a better Hibbie than me...

For my part, I've had enough of being ripped off by Uncle Rod and his board!!!!

Kaiser1962
21-07-2011, 09:04 PM

Theres comments and there's whinging like a bunch of lassies.

Sammy7nil
21-07-2011, 09:05 PM

Dry Yer Eyes!!

:doh::doh::doh::ostrich::ostrich::ostrich:

SanFranHibs

Dry Yer Eyes!!

I enjoyed some of the Women's World Cup !!!!

Lies and conspiracies? So we were not after Sheridan? Hibs did not make an offer? He is not on loan with St. Johnstone?

Ah, all these lies? who could have invented such things?

I can now enjoy the coming season knowing it is all lies and conspiracies and Lee Harvey Oswald was the Lone Gunman.....

Admittedly, sometimes this board (including my posts I'm sure) may be as reliable as the Warren Commission Report but people are entitled to question what has occurred.

I can only speculate. Perhaps CSKA and/or Sheridan made late changes to their demands and Hibs politely declined. I do not think it was solely because CSKA wanted a loan deal and Hibs a permanent move, unless that was a recent development.

I don't know.

Have to try and be optimistic and say if we were 'beaten' to his services by St. Johnstone and there were no other suitors then hopefully we just lost out an another 'average' player.

I am just more concerned by the Celtic game on Sunday. I hope I am wrong but we just seem ill prepared. But then perhaps I am just a lying, conspiring Jessie !!

:dummytit:

Hibs90
If we've lost out to St.Johnstone that is an actual disgrace. ffs...

Removed
So are we not allowed to comment on anything Hibs these days? As long as You don't say that the singing section are elitist :faf:

SanFranHibs
21-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Theres comments and there's whinging like a bunch of lassies.

I don't see many lassies on here whinging !

Beefster
21-07-2011, 09:06 PM
I love how it's now "Its the fans fault" that we're missing out & not signing players :cool2:

I'm getting ****ing sick of this being trotted out and I renewed (again) so it doesn't even apply to me. It's ludicrous to blame the fans whilst giving the club a free pass for the fact that folk have decided not to give Hibs their money any longer.

:agree: I actually "LOL'd" when I read CC's statement about only wanting to have players who "want to be at Hibs".. He musta been pashing his pants when he said that...

Irony at it's best from CC

Attributed to Calderwood, penned by Hyland, I'd imagine.

Stack, Brown, Antell

Sodje,O'Connor

Obviously it is impossible to tell as the youngsters are the great unknown but that squad looks worse than last season, at first glance. If I had known how this summer was going to pan out [to date] then I wouldn't have been so keen to get rid of Riordan and Miller.

Kaiser1962
21-07-2011, 09:09 PM
I don't see many lassies on here whinging !

perhaps "girls blouses" might be more apt. :greengrin

Captain Trips
21-07-2011, 09:11 PM
I wonder if Petrie is the Satan and some of the support are the Vanilla Ice.

down the slope
21-07-2011, 09:11 PM

Dry Yer Eyes!!

What lies would that be ?, our last league position ? the football we play ? the signings we all know we need ? the managerial farce ? You are the liar -to yourself if you think that bunch of overpaid huddies that run us and are desperately trying to hang onto their jobs are worth defending. What is it you get out of this ? .

ArabHibee
21-07-2011, 09:13 PM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11792_7030054,00.html - "I want to be Hibernian manager".

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3698230/Calderwood-vow-on-future.html - "I want to be where I am and concentrate on the job in hand."I can understand why the fans would be concerned about losing a manager just days before a new season and having no one to come in."
"The timing of that would be completely wrong for everyone, so that shouldn't happen."
"It's a privilege to be manager of Hibernian football club."

Thanks Matty, I thought you were talking about actual tv interviews.
One thing though, where he says "so that shouldn't happen". Would have read better if he had said "that won't happen". Shouldn't means that it could still happen. That is why there is/was so much speculation about him leaving because he has been very cautious with what he says. Just look at his interview at last week's press conference. I still reckon he is offski if Birmingham cough up the compensation Rodders wants.

Borderhibbie76
21-07-2011, 09:15 PM
What lies would that be ?, our last league position ? the football we play ? the signings we all know we need ? the managerial farce ? You are the liar -to yourself if you think that bunch of overpaid huddies that run us and are desperately trying to hang onto their jobs are worth defending. What is it you get out of this ? .

best post I've read on here tonight...when will the rest wake up and smell the coffee....enough is enough!!!

I can't believe some think 3 signings is acceptable after what we endured for the last 18 months...it's DISGUSTING!!!

matty_f
21-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Thanks Matty, I thought you were talking about actual tv interviews.One thing though, where he says "so that shouldn't happen". Would have read better if he had said "that won't happen". Shouldn't means that it could still happen. That is why there is/was so much speculation about him leaving because he has been very cautious with what he says. Just look at his interview at last week's press conference. I still reckon he is offski if Birmingham cough up the compensation Rodders wants.They were on tv, that's where I saw the ' shouldn't happen' bit. I just couldn't find a link to the video.I don't think he was meaning to be non-committal, I think ta the wording is just his style of language.

SanFranHibs
21-07-2011, 09:22 PM
Oh the old I must be a closet Yam joke lol..how funny!!!

I rarely post on here and that is why....that's the reaction you get to speaking your mind! I've been a Hibs fan since I was 5, was a ballboy at Easter Road for 6 years and season ticket holder for over 10 yrs. I have never gone into a season so disillusioned and if we keep accepting this current treatment from our board then things will never improve...

FFS we have one striker ready to play on Sunday and how fit he is is utterly questionable??? If you think that is acceptable mate and worth £28 to watch on Sunday...good for you and you must be a better Hibbie than me...

For my part, I've had enough of being ripped off by Uncle Rod and his board!!!!

You may not be a closet Yam but you are a closet Hawick fan !!! Come on, admit it !!! :wink:

Also, BH76, I don't think you can say Hibs are 'rotten to the core'. That's outrageous ! We lost any heart we had years ago !!! (Just a joke :wink:)

Borderhibbie76
21-07-2011, 09:25 PM
You may not be a closet Yam but you are a closet Hawick fan !!! Come on, admit it !!! :wink:

Also, BH76, I don't think you can say Hibs are 'rotten to the core'. That's outrageous ! We lost any heart we had years ago !!! (Just a joke :wink:)

You almost got me bang to rights there mate...but it's Gala Fairydean all the way !!!:wink:

Kaiser1962
21-07-2011, 09:29 PM
You almost got me bang to rights there mate...but it's Gala Fairydean all the way !!!:wink:

So you're a palemerk then? :greengrin

Albion Hibs
21-07-2011, 09:29 PM

Dry Yer Eyes!!

Well said mate, the best thing for this forum right now is the season to start, the amount of moaning and slating of the club is nothing short of rank and anti-hibs IMO. Most of it from folk who say they have no intention of going to the games / buying a ST, therefore I am starting to take the view their opinion means very little.

As for describing the club as rotten to the core I would say I have my doubts about you.

Just out of interest has the club come out and said that O'Connor is unfit?

Albion Hibs
21-07-2011, 09:32 PM
best post I've read on here tonight...when will the rest wake up and smell the coffee....enough is enough!!!

I can't believe some think 3 signings is acceptable after what we endured for the last 18 months...it's DISGUSTING!!!

Three signings in the summer so far, but dont disregard the players we brought in during the January window that would make seven without any un-signed players coming in. I dont see many other teams doing that. So your lack of attention is disgusting.

Sammy7nil
21-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Three signings in the summer so far, but dont disregard the players we brought in during the January window that would make seven without any un-signed players coming in. I dont see many other teams doing that. So your lack of attention is disgusting.

REMEMBER the 5 signings iN Jan were there when we got 1 point out of 15 playing the bottom 6 (Hamilton twice)
so we still had big problems

Removed
21-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Well said mate, the best thing for this forum right now is the season to start, the amount of moaning and slating of the club is nothing short of rank and anti-hibs IMO. Most of it from folk who say they have no intention of going to the games / buying a ST, therefore I am starting to take the view their opinion means very little I've renewed.....again and I am going on Sunday. What makes their opinion any less valid than yours or mine. And we're called drama queens :faf:

Ray_
21-07-2011, 10:25 PM
Well said mate, the best thing for this forum right now is the season to start, the amount of moaning and slating of the club is nothing short of rank and anti-hibs IMO. Most of it from folk who say they have no intention of going to the games / buying a ST, therefore I am starting to take the view their opinion means very little.

As for describing the club as rotten to the core I would say I have my doubts about you.

Just out of interest has the club come out and said that O'Connor is unfit?

So do you think it is that good or clever that so many people are what you consider to be anti-hibs? I have no doubt that many of those people have held hibs in great affection & spent serious amounts of money on the club & rather than making stupid comments like their opinion mean very little, hopefully the club will acknowledge the discontent & do what they can to address the problem.

macca70
21-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Massive blessing in disguise that we missed out on him.

Partial to a drink, would go on benders and Sofia wouldn't pay him as he wouldn't turn up for training. Happened quite often, apparently.

RIP
21-07-2011, 10:35 PM

Comment away Brockie. The odd moan aye sure - I can moan wi the best. We'll known I'm no a Rodney fan

Toys oot the pram , ripped ST's, sack the board a' because our policy is no loans these days - eh, naw

We didnae lose oot tae St Johnstone. We lost out cos we wanted to buy whilst the player and or club preferred a loan. They just stepped in when we stepped out

Time tae back the eleven on the park but you've been doing that man and boy for decades. And you will be there on Sunday singing and shouting wi the best

ArabHibee
21-07-2011, 10:43 PM
Comment away Brockie. The odd moan aye sure - I can moan wi the best. We'll known I'm no a Rodney fanToys oot the pram , ripped ST's, sack the board a' because our policy is no loans these days - eh, nawWe didnae lose oot tae St Johnstone. We lost out cos we wanted to buy whilst the player and or club preferred a loan. They just stepped in when we stepped outTime tae back the eleven on the park but you've been doing that man and boy for decades. And you will be there on Sunday singing and shouting wi the best Sorry, but Hibs knew 2 weeks ago that it would most likely be a loan deal, so that doesn't wash with me.

RIP
21-07-2011, 10:43 PM

Aye Slopey - mair signings aye - that'll work. We sign a new team every year - a dozen new faces every twelve months and we simply go backwards. Constant squad rotation. Knee jerk signings called for by knee jerk fans

SEVEN PLAYERS IN SEVEN MONTHS and fans are still after 4 more. A whole team of new signings :rolleyes:

We are moving back to a youth policy and no before time. To hell with constant signings. Let's put our trust in youth and inexperience blended with players that bleed green. Back them to the hilt from the terracing with 100% support. WAtch them grow with a great positive atmosphere. Show courage from the stands instead of wetting our pants

Albion Hibs
21-07-2011, 10:46 PM
REMEMBER the 5 signings iN Jan were there when we got 1 point out of 15 playing the bottom 6 (Hamilton twice)
so we still had big problems

You missed the point. The comment was frustruation that we have only signed three players...I simply pointed out this was not the case and that since our manager has come in we have signed more than that.

marinello59
21-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Sorry, but Hibs knew 2 weeks ago that it would most likely be a loan deal, so that doesn't wash with me.

The whole thing just doesn't add up for me. If the club knew a loan deal was the most likely outcome but switched instead to an attempt to buy the player how on earth was the shortfall in his wages between what it was reported he earned and what we could pay going to be bridged? I have been scratching my head trying to make any sense of this and just can't.

Albion Hibs
21-07-2011, 10:49 PM
I've renewed.....again and I am going on Sunday. What makes their opinion any less valid than yours or mine. And we're called drama queens :faf:

Pretty simple really, if these people are chosing not to attend games then how will they know how the team is performing. So many have written off this season and we have not even started playing yet, so simply put they have nothing to base it on, and if they are not attending they will still have nothing to base it on, other than taking others comments recyling and adding there own spice.

ArabHibee
21-07-2011, 10:51 PM
Pretty simple really, if these people are chosing not to attend games then how will they know how the team is performing. So many have written off this season and we have not even started playing yet, so simply put they have nothing to base it on, and if they are not attending they will still have nothing to base it on, other than taking others comments recyling and adding there own spice. have you ever heard of HTV? Cheaper than a season ticket, by a long shot.

BEEJ
21-07-2011, 10:57 PM
Hibs didn't seem to want a loan move according to the latest press. St. J's were happy to accept one.

Hard to say why, but perhaps Sheridan wants to put himself in the shop window without being tied down to a club long term.

Seems to me that we wanted him as a permanent transfer and on a longer term deal which either he or CSKA wasn't keen on. To be honest, I think the deal suits both CSKA and the player in case he has a good 6 months and gets a big transfer in January for a value much higher than we were prepared to pay.
I've just returned from holiday this evening and I've trawled through this thread trying to understand today's intriguing developments. This is one bit I don't understand.

How were Hibs ever going to afford to secure the permanent signing of a player that is reported to be currently on £14k per week and whose club were looking to recover most if not all of the £350k that they originally paid for him? :confused:

Financially CS is way out of Hibs budget. This was only ever going to be a loan deal.

What would everyone think if they learned that our manager that let him go, rather than our board, because he didn't want Sheridan to put himself in the shop window and lose him in January, instead he wanted a striker for a minimum of a season and when the player made it clear that a loan deal was to advertise himself to bigger clubs and that he had no intention of staying in the SPL past January, the manager pulled the plug on the deal?
That does sound like a plausible scenario.

Good that we have managed to give Sheridan some match time and help him build up his match sharpness for St J:aok:

So we had him training and on trial without knowing there might be a loan deal involved. We're good!
:agree: Unfortunately there is no way this can be made to look good for the club. A waste of everyone's time.

Where is this stated? And how on earth could we have afforded it?

harrsi
21-07-2011, 10:59 PM
been reading this forum for years but never felt the need to throw my hat in... but, kinda thinking this is all getting a bit silly now and think i might have something to say (probably wrong though)...

whilst i fully agree that the board have shown a lack of ambition when it comes to the playing squad, they have put everything else in place to make this a successful club that will in future be in a position to be VERY competitive (as much as their current strategy relies heavily on promoting youth and that our previous 2 managers, pre calderwood, have only paid lip service to this), i'm of the opinion that it is the only way a club like ours could survive...

gettng back to the topic of this thread, my view of the sheridan scenario is that calderwood (forget his inability to commit clearly to our cause, i still personally believe that he is professional enough to work to his contract) wants to build a squad (and i get the argument that players won't commit to signing if they think he's bout to do one) that will lay the foundations for the club to progress on the field. ergo, the way i see this is that we wanted sheridan to commit for the next couple of seasons and be part of the "project", he liked the club and saw it as a good stepping stone but the clubs couldn't agree terms (petrie being tight fisted / trying to get the best deal, whatever) for an actual transfer and calderwood has said that a loan deal isn't in the clubs best interests as if the loan was successful it would cost more to make it permanent... i.e. tie him down now or walk away

think what i'm getting at is that sheridan saw us as the ideal way to get a nice contract somewhere via a short term deal and that we were only willing to take it further if he was gonna be with us for some time whereby rodders could make some pennies (all going well)...

but what do i konw?

Removed
21-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Pretty simple really, if these people are chosing not to attend games then how will they know how the team is performing. So many have written off this season and we have not even started playing yet, so simply put they have nothing to base it on, and if they are not attending they will still have nothing to base it on, other than taking others comments recyling and adding there own spice. And what about those with the opposite view who either don't go to games because of location, domestic arrangements, lack of disposable income etc who just recycle comments like yours and add their own spice. There are folk on here in your camp if I can put it like that haven't been to any pre-season games yet but have us down as top 6 mibbe 3rd or 4th. Where are they getting that from? Not what I've seen with my own eyes or many others.

Saorsa
21-07-2011, 11:14 PM
As long as You don't say that the singing section are elitist :faf:You must also have a season ticket :agree:

Removed
21-07-2011, 11:16 PM
You must also have a season ticket :agree: :agree: and leave your spices in the cupboard

Saorsa
21-07-2011, 11:17 PM
:agree: and leave your spices in the cupboard:agree: :greengrin

Captain Trips
21-07-2011, 11:17 PM
And what about those with the opposite view who either don't go to games because of location, domestic arrangements, lack of disposable income etc who just recycle comments like yours and add their own spice. There are folk on here in your camp if I can put it like that haven't been to any pre-season games yet but have us down as top 6 mibbe 3rd or 4th. Where are they getting that from? Not what I've seen with my own eyes or many others.

Good point.

BEEJ
21-07-2011, 11:38 PM
The implication in this morning's Scotsman article is that we were also bidding for a loan deal, not a permanent deal.

Sheridan, who phoned Calderwood on Wednesday night to inform him of Sofia's decision, insists he is happy to be returning to the SPL, where he has had previous loan stints at St Johnstone and Motherwell.

And, speaking yesterday before flying back to Scotland from Bulgaria, he was adamant the final decision on his destination had come down to who was willing to meet Sofia's modest demands.

He said: "It was out of my hands in terms of having to choose where to go. St Johnstone made an offer that Sofia were happy with and Hibs' offer was a bit less. Sofia went with the better offer and my hands were pretty much tied.

"I enjoyed my week at Hibs and I was looking forward to working something out there but then I was told that St Johnstone had put in a bid for a loan that was better.

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/St-Johnstone-outbid-Hibs-in.6805580.jp

Captain Trips
21-07-2011, 11:44 PM
The implication in this morning's Scotsman article is that we were also bidding for a loan deal, not a permanent deal.

I think we may be heading for meltdown on herethat it may appear we couldnt compete for a loan deal with St Johnstone. I think this thread is in its infancy :hnet:

Saorsa
21-07-2011, 11:45 PM

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/St-Johnstone-outbid-Hibs-in.6805580.jpLies, it's all lies I tell you, we just didnae want him any mair.

matty_f
21-07-2011, 11:56 PM
I think we may be heading for meltdown on herethat it may appear we couldnt compete for a loan deal with St Johnstone. I think this thread is in its infancy :hnet:

:agree: Brace yersel'!!!:greengrin

Captain Trips
22-07-2011, 12:00 AM
:agree: Brace yersel'!!!:greengrin

Help is at hand

Step 1 (http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2008/02/25/prozac10c.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/feb/26/mentalhealth.medicalresearch&usg=__zoahRdpoYJgqk1vUA1PPAuVJUcU=&h=276&w=460&sz=10&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=sSQMLFbMgoVoQM:&tbnh=115&tbnw=191&ei=Mr0oTvXHGoax8QPi8uysAw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dprozac%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Dof f%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D648%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=135&vpy=143&dur=545&hovh=174&hovw=290&tx=170&ty=104&page=1&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0)

Step 2 (http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.clotheslineblog.com/files/imagecache/imageblog/files/3noose-med.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.clotheslineblog.com/node/783&usg=__nYTPYS4Q29PjfHliulEeR0cuiMs=&h=653&w=437&sz=25&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=0JgpGb3tl3DSHM:&tbnh=144&tbnw=102&ei=i70oTt_IL8u38gPSxKitAw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dnoose%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff %26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D648%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=143&vpy=250&dur=801&hovh=275&hovw=184&tx=92&ty=153&page=1&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0)

matty_f
22-07-2011, 12:02 AM
Help is at hand

Step 1 (http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2008/02/25/prozac10c.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/feb/26/mentalhealth.medicalresearch&usg=__zoahRdpoYJgqk1vUA1PPAuVJUcU=&h=276&w=460&sz=10&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=sSQMLFbMgoVoQM:&tbnh=115&tbnw=191&ei=Mr0oTvXHGoax8QPi8uysAw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dprozac%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Dof f%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D648%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=135&vpy=143&dur=545&hovh=174&hovw=290&tx=170&ty=104&page=1&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0)

Step 2 (http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.clotheslineblog.com/files/imagecache/imageblog/files/3noose-med.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.clotheslineblog.com/node/783&usg=__nYTPYS4Q29PjfHliulEeR0cuiMs=&h=653&w=437&sz=25&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=0JgpGb3tl3DSHM:&tbnh=144&tbnw=102&ei=i70oTt_IL8u38gPSxKitAw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dnoose%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff %26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D648%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=143&vpy=250&dur=801&hovh=275&hovw=184&tx=92&ty=153&page=1&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0)

:tee hee:

iwasthere1972
22-07-2011, 12:05 AM
Help is at hand

And that's the end of the noose. :wink:

ballengeich
22-07-2011, 12:10 AM
Help is at hand

Oh there are three steps to Heaven (wap dee doo)

LeithBoozy
22-07-2011, 12:16 AM
I was hoping that Sofia had moved the goalpost's on us and we had rightly told them where to go. This latest article has laid bare the unsavoury truth, we cant even win a player in a two horse race with the saints. WTF is going on?, aye give us your ST money and we will spend every penny of it on the squad. We were unable to meet their MODEST demands, it would appear that Petrie only knows how to sell. What an embarrassment to our great club.

Saorsa
22-07-2011, 12:27 AM
With St Johnstone counterpart Geoff Brown stepping in to stump up the cash wanted, the Perth club surprisingly pipped their SPL rivals to the Irishman's signature.I doubt it would be a surprise tae that many people.

ballengeich
22-07-2011, 12:29 AM
I was hoping that Sofia had moved the goalpost's on us and we had rightly told them where to go. This latest article has laid bare the unsavoury truth, we cant even win a player in a two horse race with the saints. WTF is going on?, aye give us your ST money and we will spend every penny of it on the squad. We were unable to meet their MODEST demands, it would appear that Petrie only knows how to sell. What an embarrassment to our great club.

What article? From what I've seen we were trying to make a signing for two years while St Johnstone accepted a six month loan deal. Two different races, not a two horse race

Forza Fred
22-07-2011, 12:35 AM

As I have posted elsewhere it appears that Petrie may have made that common mistake often made by arrogant people.... of actually believing his own publicity!

He may well be a 'tough negotiator'' but that is different to being a 'good or effective negotiator'"

""Good negötiators'" get a deal.

He didn''t, and he obviously is more intent on preserving his 'reputation' than anything else.

Outbid by St Johnstone!!!

OMG, who is next to 'scoop'us...Brechin City!!!!

What depths have we descended to!!!???

Time to go Rod?

Dashing Bob S
22-07-2011, 12:43 AM
As I have posted elsewhere it appears that Petrie may have made that common mistake often made by arrogant people.... of actually believing his own publicity!

He may well be a 'tough negotiator'' but that is different to being a 'good or effective negotiator'"

He didn''t, and he obviously is more intent on preserving his 'reputation' than anything else.

Time to go Rod?

Might be the case Fred. He's done great things for Hibs, but he's looking like a man out of time. There isn't really a positive spin we can put on this latest humiliation.

greenlex
22-07-2011, 01:58 AM
Length of deal I reckon.

500miles
22-07-2011, 02:02 AM
Length of deal I reckon.

What went through my mind, especially when CC spoke of doing "something with his contract".

greenlex
22-07-2011, 02:11 AM
As I have posted elsewhere it appears that Petrie may have made that common mistake often made by arrogant people.... of actually believing his own publicity!He may well be a 'tough negotiator'' but that is different to being a 'good or effective negotiator'"""Good negötiators'" get a deal.He didn''t, and he obviously is more intent on preserving his 'reputation' than anything else.Outbid by St Johnstone!!!OMG, who is next to 'scoop'us...Brechin City!!!!What depths have we descended to!!!???Time to go Rod? Good negotiators get the right deal not just any old deal.

Lucius Apuleius
22-07-2011, 05:29 AM
No wahalla. Big Akpo is going to net them.

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Akpo-Sodje-pledges-to-fill.6805588.jp

:cgwa:hibees:cgwa

flash
22-07-2011, 05:29 AM
If we were simply outbid then we better have 2 strikers lined up pronto or meltdown will be fully justified.

Beefster
22-07-2011, 06:10 AM

This is directly contradicted by Sheridan himself (in quotes) within the Scotsman article. Has your source let you down again?

What article? From what I've seen we were trying to make a signing for two years while St Johnstone accepted a six month loan deal. Two different races, not a two horse race

The Scotsman article.

What you've seen has been based on speculation on here and has not been reported as fact in the press anywhere.

Length of deal I reckon.

The Scotsman article directly says that Hibs' offer fell short of the amount sought by Sofia.

If we were simply outbid then we better have 2 strikers lined up pronto or meltdown will be fully justified.

I think Hibs have questions to answer. From Sheridan's quotes, he says that it was purely down to St Johnstone offering more and that he wanted to come to Hibs. He also says that he informed Calderwood on Wednesday evening. If this is true, why did Hibs then release a statement on Thursday morning implying that Sheridan was messing them about and that Hibs had withdrawn from the process as a result.

Someone is lying to us and to be brutally honest, considering the statements from Calderwood on Wednesday about wanting Sheridan, it sounds like it is Hibs.

marinello59
22-07-2011, 06:19 AM
Someone is lying to us and to be brutally honest, considering the statements from Calderwood on Wednesday about wanting Sheridan, it sounds like it is Hibs.

I've read through the club statement again to see if it was just a case of putting a positive spin on a poor situation. It just doesn't sit right at all.

RIP
22-07-2011, 06:21 AM

I've read the same text but to me it says the complete opposite. It been quite clear in several articles that Hibs were after a permanent transfer. CSKA viewed the loan offer by St Johnstone as better for their interests

The player preferred Hibs but it was out of his hands

This simply backs up the statement I heard via the St Johnstone coach that we wanted perm but CSKA wanted loan

Loans are an unworkable legacy - part of the problem - not part of the solution.

basehibby
22-07-2011, 06:21 AM

Dry Yer Eyes!!

:ostrich::******:

Beefster
22-07-2011, 06:24 AM
I've read through the club statement again to see if it was just a case of putting a positive spin on a poor situation. It just doesn't sit right at all.

I actually checked it again this morning to see if it had been amended in a similar fashion to the Calderwood statement!

Beefster
22-07-2011, 06:26 AM
Loans are an unworkable legacy - part of the problem - not part of the solution.

Aye, bringing in that Richie Towell just added to our problems after January. It would have been much better if we kept playing our permanent player, Hart.

Callum_62
22-07-2011, 06:27 AM
I keep seeing this 'unworkable legacy' in relation to loans....who exactly did Yogi get in on loan???????

BTW- this is ****ing shocking PR for Hibs.

Make no mistake...going into game 1 of the season with ONE semi fit experienced striker is a joke.

Jim44
22-07-2011, 06:42 AM
Pathetic laughing stock.

Hainan Hibs
22-07-2011, 06:47 AM
Some of the revisionism on here is keechback standard.

No two ways about it, this is a pretty hefty square boot tae the baws. We are going into the opening game of the season, against Celtic, with one half fit striker. I think everyone would've accepted a loan deal, as though not perfect, we would at least have gone into the start of the season with some much needed additional fire power. No one batted an eye lid at taking a loan deal with Towel, so to dismiss missing Sheridan out because of that is comedy that should be reserved for yams.

The club's statement and Sheridan's statement completely contradict each other, and I think it is a sign of how much the trust between club and support has been broken that the majority will probably believe the Scotsman article over the club, and understandably so.

The club was between a rock and a hard place with issuing a statement but it has come across as hitting the panic button, plus did no one foresee the possible backlash against the "I want to focus on players who want to be at Hibernian" comment? Talk about rubbing salt into an open wound!

I hope for our sake that there are other targets lined up, but I just have a feeling they are not. Months of dicking about with bags of sweeties has left Colin with precious little time to get players in for the start of the season.

People can talk about the number of signings in January, where did they get us? I'm surprised we didn't get nose bleeds from reaching the heights of 10th!

It's not looking good.

Dirkster23
22-07-2011, 06:47 AM
Aye Slopey - mair signings aye - that'll work. We sign a new team every year - a dozen new faces every twelve months and we simply go backwards. Constant squad rotation. Knee jerk signings called for by knee jerk fans

SEVEN PLAYERS IN SEVEN MONTHS and fans are still after 4 more. A whole team of new signings :rolleyes:

We are moving back to a youth policy and no before time. To hell with constant signings. Let's put our trust in youth and inexperience blended with players that bleed green. Back them to the hilt from the terracing with 100% support. WAtch them grow with a great positive atmosphere. Show courage from the stands instead of wetting our pants

I asked you in another thread but you didn't reply- when did hibs state that we are moving back to a youth policy? I'm on holiday at the moment so maybe missed it but i can't recall this being said.

Callum_62
22-07-2011, 07:01 AM
and wtf the everyone jumping on the 7 players in 7 months line??

Jan is notoriously hard to sign the players you want.....so, either we had the most incredible luck in the last Jan window, or, we signed some players as a stop gap.

I do not believe Petrie and calderwood wrote a "wanted list" this summer that consisted of only O'Connor, Sproule and O'Hanlon.

The fact that Sheridan came about through a trial suggests he wasnt on the intial list of targets....have we exhausted that list already?

Im glad im over the other side of the world, but even I can see this is propbably the most embaressing pre season i can remember.

NO RIGHT BACK of prem standard....ONE semi fit striker....this is ****ing bullsheet.

Cropley10
22-07-2011, 07:05 AM

Time to go Rod?

Good negotiators also realise their own position and adapt, we weren't selling here we were trying to buy. Quite different IMHO.

Cropley10
22-07-2011, 07:19 AM
Aye, bringing in that Richie Towell just added to our problems after January. It would have been much better if we kept playing our permanent player, Hart.

Revisionism at its best Beefster - suddenly loans are the devil's work.

Saorsa
22-07-2011, 07:40 AM
and wtf the everyone jumping on the 7 players in 7 months line??

Jan is notoriously hard to sign the players you want.....so, either we had the most incredible luck in the last Jan window, or, we signed some players as a stop gap.

I do not believe Petrie and calderwood wrote a "wanted list" this summer that consisted of only O'Connor, Sproule and O'Hanlon.

The fact that Sheridan came about through a trial suggests he wasnt on the intial list of targets....have we exhausted that list already?

Im glad im over the other side of the world, but even I can see this is propbably the most embaressing pre season i can remember.

NO RIGHT BACK of prem standard....ONE semi fit striker....this is ****ing bullsheet.Neither do I, I like tae know what happened tae the players he was excited about, probably long since :bye:

MSK
22-07-2011, 07:58 AM
Neither do I, I like tae know what happened tae the players he was excited about, probably long since :bye:Perhaps other clubs were excited about them too ...nah ..that couldnae be true could it ..?

500miles
22-07-2011, 07:59 AM
Revisionism at its best Beefster - suddenly loans are the devil's work.

No one is saying that loans are bad. However, if given the choice, Calderwood may well be keener to sign up players who are prepared to hang around for a longer term than six months. Signing Cillian Sheridan on a 2 year deal as our own player may be Calderwoods first choice, but signing him on a 6 month loan may be less attractive to his long term plans, and fall to third or fourth, with the signing of another player longer term being preferential. Are we going to make as an attactive an offer for our fourth choice scenario as St J's are going to make for thier first?

St. Johnstone may simply be happier with a 6 month loan. There isn't the same expectation upon them - if they can pick up as many good results in the first half of the season to put daylight between them and relegation, then that is ideal for them. We need to be picking up results throughout the season - not just in the first half, and not just so we can have 2 strikers against Celtic.

Calderwood seems to be pretty certain that Agogo will be a Hibs player soon - just not as soon as the Celtic game. Up front, that gives you O'Connor, Sodje and Agogo as 3 experienced players vying for 2 spots (Maximum, CC isn't exactly averse to the old 4-5-1, especially since we now have pacy wingers). Add in Handling as a youngster - and youth should always be the way forward for Hibs - and you have 4 strikers. Now, people may say that it's a lot of pressure to put on a young player, but you need to give youngsters that type of exposure, otherwise they never develop. People seem to think that the "Golden Generation" just walked on to the pitch and were brilliant. They forget that GO'C was fat, had no touch and couldn't last 90 minutes, Caldwell was garbage, Brown was lightweight and knocked around - as was Thomson - Whittaker should be dropped for Jay Shields, Riordan....ok, Riordan was a better player at 20 than he was at 27, but that's got a lot to do with him and his time at Celtic. And this wasn't a team that was brought through with a wealth of experience to guide them. Thomson was captain at 21 IIRC. Our "experienced hands" were Gary Smith and Stephen Glass. 5 years it took for that team to produce silverwear. Sodje might be injured now, but signing players just because he can't play in one game will only hamper the progress of players already at the club.

On top of that, Calderwood has been playing with Ivan in a central role - which he has played before. So we actually have GO'C, Sproule and Handling fit and suitable to playing up front if we need it against Celtic.

Oh and before I get accused of "revisionism" or having my head in the sand, Sheridan would have been an excellent player for us IMO. He is very much the kind of forward I like, pacy, with good feet, skill and a footballing brain, and would work well with O'Connor. But if the manager wants a longer term solution, that's up to him to decide. I would like to think that we could get a player of similar quality on a more permanant basis with a bit of digging.

Saorsa
22-07-2011, 08:02 AM
Perhaps other clubs were excited about them too ...nah ..that couldnae be true could it ..?Could be, all the deals we dinnae hear about until business is concluded, we've probably been out done by other big clubs like St. Johnstone and we dinnae even ken about it. In the meantime our search goes on..........

GloryGlory
22-07-2011, 08:11 AM
No one is saying that loans are bad. However, if given the choice, Calderwood may well be keener to sign up players who are prepared to hang around for a longer term than six months. Signing Cillian Sheridan on a 2 year deal as our own player may be Calderwoods first choice, but signing him on a 6 month loan may be less attractive to his long term plans, and fall to third or fourth, with the signing of another player longer term being preferential. Are we going to make as an attactive an offer for our fourth choice scenario as St J's are going to make for thier first?

St. Johnstone may simply be happier with a 6 month loan. There isn't the same expectation upon them - if they can pick up as many good results in the first half of the season to put daylight between them and relegation, then that is ideal for them. We need to be picking up results throughout the season - not just in the first half, and not just so we can have 2 strikers against Celtic.

Calderwood seems to be pretty certain that Agogo will be a Hibs player soon - just not as soon as the Celtic game. Up front, that gives you O'Connor, Sodje and Agogo as 3 experienced players vying for 2 spots (Maximum, CC isn't exactly averse to the old 4-5-1, especially since we now have pacy wingers). Add in Handling as a youngster - and youth should always be the way forward for Hibs - and you have 4 strikers. Now, people may say that it's a lot of pressure to put on a young player, but you need to give youngsters that type of exposure, otherwise they never develop. People seem to think that the "Golden Generation" just walked on to the pitch and were brilliant. They forget that GO'C was fat, had no touch and couldn't last 90 minutes, Caldwell was garbage, Brown was lightweight and knocked around - as was Thomson - Whittaker should be dropped for Jay Shields, Riordan....ok, Riordan was a better player at 20 than he was at 27, but that's got a lot to do with him and his time at Celtic. And this wasn't a team that was brought through with a wealth of experience to guide them. Thomson was captain at 21 IIRC. Our "experienced hands" were Gary Smith and Stephen Glass. 5 years it took for that team to produce silverwear. Sodje might be injured now, but signing players just because he can't play in one game will only hamper the progress of players already at the club.

On top of that, Calderwood has been playing with Ivan in a central role - which he has played before. So we actually have GO'C, Sproule and Handling fit and suitable to playing up front if we need it against Celtic.

Oh and before I get accused of "revisionism" or having my head in the sand, Sheridan would have been an excellent player for us IMO. He is very much the kind of forward I like, pacy, with good feet, skill and a footballing brain, and would work well with O'Connor. But if the manager wants a longer term solution, that's up to him to decide. I would like to think that we could get a player of similar quality on a more permanant basis with a bit of digging.

He's out for six weeks, is he not?

MSK
22-07-2011, 08:12 AM
Could be, all the deals we dinnae hear about until business is concluded, we've probably been out done by other big clubs like St. Johnstone and we dinnae even ken about it. In the meantime our search goes on..........

Aye ..

500miles
22-07-2011, 08:24 AM
He's out for six weeks, is he not?

That's what I heard, but I think that was as of the East Fife game 2 weeks ago. So it's 4 weeks, which includes a break in the league programme when we should have been playing St J's. So we have 3 games, and possibly with Agogo as a Hibs player for 2.

Cropley10
22-07-2011, 08:37 AM

Sorry people are saying that loans are part of the unworkable legacy.

Stevie Reid
22-07-2011, 08:38 AM
Definitely a lot more worried after reading The Scotsman this morning, as it states comprehensively that we were outbid by St. Johnstone. Still a but puzzled as I'm sure I read that CS stated in the paper when a permanent transfer was mooted that he had an offer from Hibs that he was considering - so our wage offer couldn't have been that bad - but he then states in The Scotsman that the decision was out of his hands. It is still possible that after the permanent deal was no longer an option that Hibs decided that they weren't prepared to pay too much of the wages for a guy that was never going to sign permanently, but even if that is the case it still makes us look really, really bad.

And of course I could just be clutching at straws.

Speedway
22-07-2011, 08:39 AM
Definitely a lot more worried after reading The Scotsman this morning, as it states comprehensively that we were outbid by St. Johnstone. Still a but puzzled as I'm sure I read that CS stated in the paper when a permanent transfer was mooted that he had an offer from Hibs that he was considering - but he then states in The Scotsman that the decision was out of his hands. It is still possible that after the permanent deal was no longer an option that Hibs decided that they weren't prepared to pay too much of the wages for a guy that was never going to sign permanently, but even if that is the case it still makes us look really, really bad.

And of course I could just be clutching at straws.

This is going to sound like such a silly question, but does any of this actually matter?

smurf
22-07-2011, 08:43 AM
This is going to sound like such a silly question, but does any of this actually matter?

True... but then when does any of it then matter? Close the gates...

It matters because the club matters to us. And there wouldn't be the volume of traffic on here if it didn't.

Stevie Reid
22-07-2011, 08:45 AM

With regards to the fact that I'll still being going to every home game this season, no not really.

With regards to the fact that it's made a lot of angry people a lot angrier, very much so.

I try my best to be optimistic, but I struggle to foresee there being a good atmosphere at ER for a very long time, and possibly the opposite very, very soon.

Speedway
22-07-2011, 08:47 AM

It matters because the club matters to us. And there wouldn't be the volume of traffic on here if it didn't.

Right, but what difference is there to the outcome between greetin' about things we read in the press and not greetin' about things we read in the press?

The outcome is no different and the only ones worse off by becoming 'Outraged, from Pilton' is themselves.

So it's like self-harm without the release because this is the way it is and it will be what it will be. You can always stay away, and many have and that's already cost us in the transfer market. So self sabotage is the way forward?

So basically, it's just stupid.

BEEJ
22-07-2011, 08:50 AM

It's about the general state of readiness of the club to take on the new league season which is now just two days away; also the manner in which it has gone about its close season preparations.

And all in the context of very poor results and performances during the previous 16 months.

BEEJ
22-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Right, but what difference is there to the outcome between greetin' about things we read in the press and not greetin' about things we read in the press?

The outcome is no different and the only ones worse off by becoming 'Outraged, from Pilton' is themselves.

So it's like self-harm without the release because this is the way it is and it will be what it will be. You can always stay away, and many have and that's already cost us in the transfer market. So self sabotage is the way forward?

Que sera, sera and all that. :greengrin

Does 'greetin' include commenting about these events / developments in a critical manner? I'm not 'outraged'. Certainly puzzled / disappointed and trying to make sense of what I'm hearing.

Are we all simply to allow such news to pass without comment? To shrug, cross our fingers and trust that everything will be alright come Sunday?

Stevie Reid
22-07-2011, 08:57 AM

Speedway, if you read through this thread (difficult reading, I know) you will see that my instant reaction was to jump to the defence of the club in the face of much anger, and upheld this argument through several posts. As I was taking Calderwood's statement yesterday at face value it would be hypocritical of me not to acknowledge what was written in The Scotsman this morning, which contains direct quotes from CS.

I am still not raging, nor sending my season ticket back - but I am extremely disappointed that this story has emerged which seems to confirm that the majority on here were right to immediately assume the worst and give the club a good kicking. There is now even more ammunition for the horrendous negativity surrounding all things Hibs to continue just 2 days before the start of a new season.

Hibs are like a family member to me - they may upset me, let me down, disappoint me (thankfully none of my actual family do any of that, but Hibs very much do) but I will jump to their defence and stand by them because they are part of me, and my support will not waver. But forgive me if after 14 pages I'm staring to feel a little bit disappointed.

I'm still optimistic that we'll get new signings in, including an exciting forward - but my optimism may be misplaced. I'm there on Sunday anyway, and shall be all season.

RickyS
22-07-2011, 08:58 AM

It's about the general state of readiness of the club to take on the new league season which is now just two days away; also the manner in which it has gone about its close season preparations.

And all in the context of very poor results and performances during the previous 16 months.

500miles
22-07-2011, 09:03 AM
Sorry people are saying that loans are part of the unworkable legacy.

Short term deals are part of an unworkable legacy. Especially since Hibs tend to invest large signing on fees to suppliment a lesser basic wage. The fact is, our only loan since Caldwell that has had ANY sort of success is Towell.

Any sort of short term fix which limits the young players currently at Hibs is unworkable if there is no set long term plan. Even signings like the Trakys, while they are our players, are short term, and stunt the growth of our own talent.

ahibby
22-07-2011, 09:05 AM
I am frustrated at those who think another couple of thousand season tickets would make a difference. The performances of the last few seasons prove that whether we sell ten thousand, nine thousand or seven thousands we are still not a good side. At least now the club has an excuse which they didn't have before, that's were the sabotage is taking place and not with the fans.

Speedway
22-07-2011, 09:08 AM
Que sera, sera and all that. :greengrin

Does 'greetin' include commenting about these events / developments in a critical manner? I'm not 'outraged'. Certainly puzzled / disappointed and trying to make sense of what I'm hearing.

Are we all simply to allow such news to pass without comment? To shrug, cross our fingers and trust that everything will be alright come Sunday?

Of course not, the message board would be redundant. There's no balance though. It's all negative, critical and often hysterical and not in a good way.

This has nothing to do with the last 2 years, online, it's all years every year from my experience of the last decade plus. We hate. Hate our club, hate each other and if in the unlikely event of anything going right occurs, we await the impending disappointment which is sure to show or if it doesn't, we need to invent some disappointment.

I remember a game at ER under Mixu when ICT gave us a pumping. A skirmish broke out in the west lower when some fans told other fans to STFU with their negativity and they fought back and you had the spectacle of the home support turning against each other. I was with a non-hibby that day and he couldn't believe that when we got a late goal back to make it 1-2, the cheers were muted and ironic, rather than rallying and uplifting. He supports Grimsby. Their longest serving player is 19 years old.

There's a need to feel down and post vitriol for reasons I don't understand. Is it an offshoot of Catholic-esque feelings of being repressed and supressed? We also feel entitled to better, I'm not sure where that comes from either.

I certainly don't see anyone thinking through their grievances and taking them to the club to discuss. They'll just get found out.

A lot of fans of other SPL clubs couldn't give a toss about us as a competitor, they know we'll stick the boot into our team on their behalf, but they dislike us as a following.

I see why.

Jay
22-07-2011, 09:13 AM
Of course not, the message board would be redundant. There's no balance though. It's all negative, critical and often hysterical and not in a good way.

This has nothing to do with the last 2 years, online, it's all years every year from my experience of the last decade plus. We hate. Hate our club, hate each other and if in the unlikely event of anything going right occurs, we await the impending disappointment which is sure to show or if it doesn't, we need to invent some disappointment.

I remember a game at ER under Mixu when ICT gave us a pumping. A skirmish broke out in the west lower when some fans told other fans to STFU with their negativity and they fought back and you had the spectacle of the home support turning against each other. I was with a non-hibby that day and he couldn't believe that when we got a late goal back to make it 1-2, the cheers were muted and ironic, rather than rallying and uplifting. He supports Grimsby. Their longest serving player is 19 years old.

There's a need to feel down and post vitriol for reasons I don't understand. Is it an offshoot of Catholic-esque feelings of being repressed and supressed? We also feel entitled to better, I'm not sure where that comes from either.

I certainly don't see anyone thinking through their grievances and taking them to the club to discuss. They'll just get found out.

A lot of fans of other SPL clubs couldn't give a toss about us as a competitor, they know we'll stick the boot into our team on their behalf, but they dislike us as a following.

I see why.

Speedway
22-07-2011, 09:14 AM
I am frustrated at those who think another couple of thousand season tickets would make a difference. The performances of the last few seasons prove that whether we sell ten thousand, nine thousand or seven thousands we are still not a good side. At least now the club has an excuse which they didn't have before, that's were the sabotage is taking place and not with the fans.

WHAT??? 2,000 STs at say a low £250 a pop is half a million quid with no major capital expenditure anymore. When we sold 9,000 we won the league cup. Coincidence? Deary me.

Speedway, if you read through this thread (difficult reading, I know) you will see that my instant reaction was to jump to the defence of the club in the face of much anger, and upheld this argument through several posts. As I was taking Calderwood's statement yesterday at face value it would be hypocritical of me not to acknowledge what was written in The Scotsman this morning, which contains direct quotes from CS.

I am still not raging, nor sending my season ticket back - but I am extremely disappointed that this story has emerged which seems to confirm that the majority on here were right to immediately assume the worst and give the club a good kicking. There is now even more ammunition for the horrendous negativity surrounding all things Hibs to continue just 2 days before the start of a new season.

Hibs are like a family member to me - they may upset me, let me down, disappoint me (thankfully none of my actual family do any of that, but Hibs very much do) but I will jump to their defence and stand by them because they are part of me, and my support will not waver. But forgive me if after 14 pages I'm staring to feel a little bit disappointed.

I'm still optimistic that we'll get new signings in, including an exciting forward - but my optimism may be misplaced. I'm there on Sunday anyway, and shall be all season.

Stevie, if the critics are right and it's gross mismanagement, how does sticking the boot in constantly, contribute towards a remedy?

It's as if this internet world is unseen and private and no one who could be influenced ever reads it.

Stevie Reid
22-07-2011, 09:19 AM
Stevie, if the critics are right and it's gross mismanagement, how does sticking the boot in constantly, contribute towards a remedy?

It's as if this internet world is unseen and private and no one who could be influenced ever reads it.

Where have I stuck the boot in? The most negative thing I've said is that this situation has made us look bad, this thread is testament to that.

I've have defended the club at every corner, and certainly not stuck the boot in at any point, even when I have started to feel a bit disappointed about this situation, and I'm still trying to be as positive as possible - I think that's been perfectly clear.

I'm struggling to understand why you've singled me out. If you're going by my statement that "I am extremely disappointed that this story has emerged which seems to confirm that the majority on here were right to immediately assume the worst and give the club a good kicking" - I meant that they will feel validated in their minds, not that I believe that they're right to do it.

BEEJ
22-07-2011, 09:20 AM

I see why.
You're speaking / thinking in absolutes, Speedway.

You're also mixing up the behaviour of a few morons at Hibs matches with all the less than positive contributions to this message board. Understandable but misplaced.

As for 'taking our grievances to the club and being found out' - just what would you expect the outcome of that dialogue to be? The level of season ticket sales for the new season should be the message from the support that the club takes on board. There can be no stronger signal than that.

Speedway
22-07-2011, 09:29 AM
Where have I stuck the boot in? The most negative thing I've said is that this situation has made us look bad, this thread is testament to that.

I've have defended the club at every corner, and certainly not stuck the boot in at any point, even when I have started to feel a bit disappointed about this situation, and I'm still trying to be as positive as possible - I think that's been perfectly clear.

I'm struggling to understand why you've singled me out. If you're going by my statement that "I am extremely disappointed that this story has emerged which seems to confirm that the majority on here were right to immediately assume the worst and give the club a good kicking" - I meant that they will feel validated in their minds, not that I believe that they're right to do it.

Stevie, read my post again. I was talking about the full time haters, not you.

You're also mixing up the behaviour of a few morons at Hibs matches with all the less than positive contributions to this message board. Understandable but misplaced.

As for 'taking our grievances to the club and being found out' - just what would you expect the outcome of that dialogue to be? The level of season ticket sales for the new season should be the message from the support that the club takes on board. There can be no stronger signal than that.

Beej, Fighting amongst ourselves at Fir Park last season, booing the team on at Pittodrie last season, anywhere you care to sit in the FF, it's not a few morons. I'm not sure what the collective term is but let's call it a spasm of morons. This messageboard is not representitive of the total support but it is of the total mood of what you hear in the stands.

I expect the outcome of anyone who went to the club to talk about things would be to come away like I have done, realising that we know .... all about what's actually going on.

Full time employed club folk on the board and coaching staff ken whit's goan oan.

Hibstrooper
22-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Of course not, the message board would be redundant. There's no balance though. It's all negative, critical and often hysterical and not in a good way.A lot of fans of other SPL clubs couldn't give a toss about us as a competitor, they know we'll stick the boot into our team on their behalf, but they dislike us as a following.I see why.I don't agree with a lot of what you have written.First off there is plenty of balance, the negative posts/posters just stick in the mind more.Also you cite the year we won the cup as an example period - there certainly wasn't the negative feelings and anger amongst the support back then.eople are angry right now for a reason, they aren't happy with the way the club has fallen over the past few years. I think you'll find a lot of supporters from other clubs would react the same as ours if they hadseen their team decline do much, Aberdeen being the perfect example. Can you imagine the outcry across the road if the ****s collapsed? Sp to single us out as having a particularly moronic support isnt on if you ask me.

RickyS
22-07-2011, 09:34 AM
Sheridan says in todays paper:

I enjoyed my week with Hibs but then i was told that St Johnstone had put
in a bid for a loan that was BETTER

Also noticed in the panel of experts opinions for relegation

2 go for Dunfermline

1 goes for Killie

1 goes for ICT

3 goes for Hibs

i know all the stuff about experts and what do they know etc and we will just have to prove them
wrong but the fact that 3 of them go for us just makes me angry. we should NEVER be thought of
in those terms before a balls kicked. not one of them goes for the team that finished 2nd bottom last season
and thats because they have STRENGTHENED. others obviously think we have weakened enough to go down

Stevie Reid
22-07-2011, 09:37 AM
Stevie, read my post again. I was talking about the full time haters, not you.

Fair enough.

Stevie, if the critics are right and it's gross mismanagement, how does sticking the boot in constantly, contribute towards a remedy

This made me respond the way I did - they way you were asking me for answer implied that I advocated such actions.

Speedway
22-07-2011, 09:40 AM
I don't agree with a lot of what you have written.First off there is plenty of balance, the negative posts/posters just stick in the mind more.Also you cite the year we won the cup as an example period - there certainly wasn't the negative feelings and anger amongst the support back then.eople are angry right now for a reason, they aren't happy with the way the club has fallen over the past few years. I think you'll find a lot of supporters from other clubs would react the same as ours if they hadseen their team decline do much, Aberdeen being the perfect example. Can you imagine the outcry across the road if the ****s collapsed? Sp to single us out as having a particularly moronic support isnt on if you ask me.I really don't know what you were trying to get out of this post the way you've torn into our support. Maybe you are just on the wind up, well your attack certainly wound me up so well done.

HT, if you can find me a positive post for every negative one, or even get within 10 of the negatives, which equals some semblence of balance; I'll apologise and retract the opinion.

This site feeds off negativity.

Speedway
22-07-2011, 09:48 AM
Fair enough.

This made me respond the way I did - they way you were asking me for answer implied that I advocated such actions.

What I meant there Stevie was that even if critics you highlighted were calling the club in light of the Sheridan drama, really can make accurate conclusions of fiduciary misconduct by our board from press statements (which are designed to make the quote giver look good) and therefore release their vitriol on the board...EVEN THEN...how does that remedy or even help the situation?

You had mentioned that you had defended the board initially but the press comments had caused you to re-evaluate your stance. Fair enough.

I'm saying that even if it really was true that we are being made to be a laughing stock by our chairman, what does screaming about on here do? The serial critics don't ever address the issue with the club, because they can't because they know full well deep down that they are ill-informed.

But nevermind...let's forget and ignore that because there's this board they can spout their bile on, eh?.

My sig explains this view in a more succinct way.

Jay
22-07-2011, 09:49 AM

But do we know better in what way? Better for him obviously but would we want a deal that was no good for our club. Maybe a loan deal puts him in the shop window with no real ties and Hibs didnt want that, that possibly would have cost us with no real return, maybe Hibs want somebody with more commitment to our club than that? Somebody who will be good for us and then make us some money in a transfer deal, maybe that would never have happened with what Sheridans agent was asking for. Maybe better was just far more money?

We will never know and the agents and press will put any spin they want on things.

Hibstrooper
22-07-2011, 09:52 AM
HT, if you can find me a positive post for every negative one, or even get within 10 of the negatives, which equals some semblence of balance; I'll apologise and retract the opinion.This site feeds off negativity. You know I'm not going to do that because of the time that would take even if the evidence was there so that's easy to say.What about the rest of the post, are you happy to admit you've went ott on your criticism of our support?

Hainan Hibs
22-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Calling people morons and questioning their intelligence isn't a good way to get people on side.

RickyS
22-07-2011, 10:04 AM
But do we know better in what way? Better for him obviously but would we want a deal that was no good for our club. Maybe a loan deal puts him in the shop window with no real ties and Hibs didnt want that, that possibly would have cost us with no real return, maybe Hibs want somebody with more commitment to our club than that? Somebody who will be good for us and then make us some money in a transfer deal, maybe that would never have happened with what Sheridans agent was asking for. Maybe better was just far more money?

We will never know and the agents and press will put any spin they want on things.

i was only quoting the article, it also says in the article........had been on trial with hibs but jumped at the chance
to link up with the saints again after they matched CSKA's demands over paying a percentage of his wages

RIP
22-07-2011, 10:09 AM
See 500 Miles' post below!

I asked you in another thread but you didn't reply- when did hibs state that we are moving back to a youth policy? I'm on holiday at the moment so maybe missed it but i can't recall this being said.

Short term deals are part of an unworkable legacy. Especially since Hibs tend to invest large signing on fees to suppliment a lesser basic wage. The fact is, our only loan since Caldwell that has had ANY sort of success is Towell.

Any sort of short term fix which limits the young players currently at Hibs is unworkable if there is no set long term plan. Even signings like the Trakys, while they are our players, are short term, and stunt the growth of our own talent.

:top marks Hibs don't have to make statements saying "We are operating a youth policy" "Loans are an unworkable platform for the future" It's bleedingly obvious to most of us that's exactly what's happening - with the state of the economy, Hibs balance sheet, wages to turnover ratio, Alastair's Stevenson's promotion and focus on young player development.

As I said in the other thread that in my Perth office I took a call that said a McDiarmid coach stated we bid for a permanent deal but Johnstone had put in a bid for a loan that was BETTER

Is the penny ever going to drop that CSKA and possibly CS changed the goalposts at the last minute. Think EBay!!

Jay
22-07-2011, 10:10 AM
i was only quoting the article, it also says in the article........had been on trial with hibs but jumped at the chance
to link up with the saints again after they matched CSKA's demands over paying a percentage of his wages

yeah I wasnt having a pop at you I was just putting my take on the wording of the article. I can see why St J would be happy with a loan deal and why we wouldnt.

Speedway
22-07-2011, 10:11 AM
You know I'm not going to do that because of the time that would take even if the evidence was there so that's easy to say.What about the rest of the post, are you happy to admit you've went ott on your criticism of our support?

No, not at all and this is my justification.

If someone cares about something, in my little mind, you take steps to nourish it, protect it and improve it. You don't shout hate at it's various shortcomings, imagined shortcomings or it's varying componant parts.

If someone wants to see improvement in the thing they care about, they invest time, money and effort in supporting that. This does NOT give them the right to scream and attack and criticise when that investment seems to be misused or undermined. They educate themselves and address the issues directly in the interests of mutual benefit.

I've read a number on here say that their insipid whinging is down to the fact that they care about the club. I disagree, that's not what you do when you care. That's what you do when you can't be arsed analysing what's going on and looking for the way forward.

If a person keeps their hand in their pocket regarding Hibs, that's their perogative and perfectly entitled they are to do so. They immediately have no right to have a dig when the manager has to 'shuffle his pack' to use an old Yogi-ism because the money isn't there to bring the players of calibre that the individual wants to see. When they do pay their money they STILL don't have the right to constantly whinge and moan because they become part of the problem rather than part of the solution. (I see the 12th man initiative as part of the solution, sadly, I also find it tragic that it has to be a specific initiative rather than a given but there we go)

There are few 'supporters' of the club to be found on here (money spent + constant critcism dished out in Hibbie environments DOES NOT = support) That's just paying to hate.

We seem to have in the stands and online a huge number of 'fans' short for fanatics. These are fanatical abut Hibs but rarely in a 'supportive' way to improves the club.

Again, the acid test comes when you and your mates who support a range of teams go to each other's grounds and each other's messageboards and the feedback on Hibs 'fans' is always the same.

There is NO balance online or in the stands. Those who are positive, generally keep their mouths shut for fear of being shouted down or have to join 'an initiative' to be positive.

That's sad.

Speedway
22-07-2011, 10:12 AM
Calling people morons and questioning their intelligence isn't a good way to get people on side.

I agree, but who is looking to achieve that?

Hibstrooper
22-07-2011, 10:21 AM
No, not at all and this is my justification.If someone cares about something, in my little mind, you take steps to nourish it, protect it and improve it. You don't shout hate at it's various shortcomings, imagined shortcomings or it's varying componant parts.If someone wants to see improvement in the thing they care about, they invest time, money and effort in supporting that. This does NOT give them the right to scream and attack and criticise when that investment seems to be misused or undermined. They educate themselves and address the issues directly in the interests of mutual benefit.I've read a number on here say that their insipid whinging is down to the fact that they care about the club. I disagree, that's not what you do when you care. That's what you do when you can't be arsed analysing what's going on and looking for the way forward.If a person keeps their hand in their pocket regarding Hibs, that's their perogative and perfectly entitled they are to do so. They immediately have no right to have a dig when the manager has to 'shuffle his pack' to use an old Yogi-ism because the money isn't there to bring the players of calibre that the individual wants to see. When they do pay their money they STILL don't have the right to constantly whinge and moan because they become part of the problem rather than part of the solution. (I see the 12th man initiative as part of the solution, sadly, I also find it tragic that it has to be a specific initiative rather than a given but there we go)There are few 'supporters' of the club to be found on here (money spent + constant critcism dished out in Hibbie environments DOES NOT = support) That's just paying to hate.We seem to have in the stands and online a huge number of 'fans' short for fanatics. These are fanatical abut Hibs but rarely in a 'supportive' way to improves the club.Again, the acid test comes when you and your mates who support a range of teams go to each other's grounds and each other's messageboards and the feedback on Hibs 'fans' is always the same.There is NO balance online or in the stands. Those who are positive, generally keep their mouths shut for fear of being shouted down or have to join 'an initiative' to be positive.That's sad. Again though you Will find fans like that at every club so I think you are being unfair in your criticism of our support.A lot of people are angry just now, some are directing their anger at the board others at the players, some at Calderwood. You just seem to be choosing to direct your anger at the fans so your posts are turning into one of the negatives you hate so much

Stevie Reid
22-07-2011, 10:27 AM
What I meant there Stevie was that even if critics you highlighted were calling the club in light of the Sheridan drama, really can make accurate conclusions of fiduciary misconduct by our board from press statements (which are designed to make the quote giver look good) and therefore release their vitriol on the board...EVEN THEN...how does that remedy or even help the situation?

You had mentioned that you had defended the board initially but the press comments had caused you to re-evaluate your stance. Fair enough.

I'm saying that even if it really was true that we are being made to be a laughing stock by our chairman, what does screaming about on here do? The serial critics don't ever address the issue with the club, because they can't because they know full well deep down that they are ill-informed.

But nevermind...let's forget and ignore that because there's this board they can spout their bile on, eh?.

I'm with you Speedway, and I only have re-evaluated my stance in light of quotes from Cillian Sheridan in the paper today - as I said, I treated CC's quote as gospel yesterday also. But being a bit disappointed doesn't change my stance in any way - I fully support the club regardless.

I am fully aware that those screaming and fuming and stating that they are embarrassed are doing absolutely nothing positive, and will continue to argue against when I feel it's appropriate and have the time and energy - this place has been rather wearing for quite a while now.

BEEJ
22-07-2011, 10:38 AM

Or rather, your preference would be:

"Never mind, we're all ill-informed anyway and completely unable to critique how the club is being run, at any level. So we can just direct our frustration at the rest of the support who don't seem to realise what a good thing we've got going here."

No, not at all and this is my justification.

If someone cares about something, in my little mind, you take steps to nourish it, protect it and improve it. You don't shout hate at it's various shortcomings, imagined shortcomings or it's varying componant parts.

If someone wants to see improvement in the thing they care about, they invest time, money and effort in supporting that. This does NOT give them the right to scream and attack and criticise when that investment seems to be misused or undermined. They educate themselves and address the issues directly in the interests of mutual benefit.
Supporters are largely powerless to influence the way the club is being run - despite what some may think. A fan delegation turning up at ER for discussions aimed at information sharing and dialogue for 'mutual benefit' would not change anything material.

So the alternative then is either to put up and shut up or to find something else to occupy one's spare time and money. Whatever you do as a supporter, don't grumble!

There are few 'supporters' of the club to be found on here (money spent + constant critcism dished out in Hibbie environments DOES NOT = support) That's just paying to hate.
You've used the word 'hate' now a few times in this context. Strong language.

Would you not be better levelling this accusation directly at the posters who constantly exhibit these feelings towards Hibs instead of generally tarnishing vast numbers of us with this accusation?

Phil MaGlass
22-07-2011, 10:44 AM

thing is the few morons are growing in number, I have noticed on my few and far between trips back to ER that its not just one or two, theres been large unrest in the support for many many years, it was curtailed for a wee while during a few good runs with Eck and TM, but now its back big time. Yi canna blame people for being annoyed,angry disillusioned etc,etc,etc,etc,,,,,,, but its now becoming ugly and you can feel it as you enter the ground. How do we change it how do we get negative fans positive again, we need a succesful team on the park, we have the stadium and the infrastructure, we have the young lads coming through we need a product on the park and I hate to say it again, Petrie is the man who needs to take a portion of the blame.We need a team on the park that will give everything, fight for 90 minutes, show the passion that has been lacking.

My local team in Holland, if you dont show the passion and dont fight for the team, ALL the fans will let you know in no uncertain terms,theres no hiding, even when they get beat they are clapped and cheered enthusiastically off the park, because they have put in a shift. We do have the morons, but they support the team. The support are unique in Holland.
If only we could harnass a little of what my local team have Hibs could take on anyone.
Petrie get the cheque book out, its now time to deliver a team worthy of the stadium,facilities and long suffering fans.

Speedway
22-07-2011, 10:49 AM
Again though you Will find fans like that at every club so I think you are being unfair in your criticism of our support.A lot of people are angry just now, some are directing their anger at the board others at the players, some at Calderwood. You just seem to be choosing to direct your anger at the fans so your posts are turning into one of the negatives you hate so much

I disagree HT. They not angry now, they are angry full stop. They do not forward our 'cause'. My posts attack the attackers you are right. It is done in the interests of balance. :wink:

I'm with you Speedway, and I only have re-evaluated my stance in light of quotes from Cillian Sheridan in the paper today - as I said, I treated CC's quote as gospel yesterday also. But being a bit disappointed doesn't change my stance in any way - I fully support the club regardless.

I am fully aware that those screaming and fuming and stating that they are embarrassed are doing absolutely nothing positive, and will continue to argue against when I feel it's appropriate and have the time and energy - this place has been rather wearing for quite a while now.

I agree Stevie. If it is worth anything at all, I go by the old Lou Reed maxim 'Don't believe half of what you read and less of what you hear.'

I don't treat the club statements as total gospel nor the paper reports nor what a player says. I try to look at where the actions have backed up the rhetoric. Calderwood said squad of around 20 with four or so kids milling around. Check. This means we're spending the money we have (£1 less than we earn according to Rod but in reality much more than that) on the best players we can attract to get the most balanced squad. This is done in order to stand the best chance of competing at the top end of the table, cup runs and pushing for Europe as per the board's stated aim.

The press has said 'Uncertainty over Calderwood' I say uncertainty over any manager anywhere who could receive an offer better than the one they have. Every manager's postion is uncertain. EVERYONE. Calderwood has gone with his best offer (eg, his only one) Every Hibs manager or any other clubs manager would move for a better offer. We are not going forward with an unsure future under CC anymore than any other season under any other manager. If Man U had offered Yogi the chance last September to succeed Fergie, as ridiculous as the example is, he would have left Hibs high and dry.

So the reality is usually quite different from the propaganda coming from any source. It's worth looking at the outcomes. The outcomes are that we've signed three players of the right quality who were better than we had. We need more and the club are working on it. We have missed out on targets. We ALWAYS miss out on targets. Spurs miss out on targets. Barcelona STILL haven't signed Fabregas.

It's ok. Let's press on.

Speedway
22-07-2011, 10:53 AM

"Never mind, we're all ill-informed anyway and completely unable to critique how the club is being run, at any level. So we can just direct our frustration at the rest of the support who don't seem to realise what a good thing we've got going here."

Why would my preference be the polar opposite?

Supporters are largely powerless to influence the way the club is being run - despite what some may think. A fan delegation turning up at ER for discussions aimed at information sharing and dialogue for 'mutual benefit' would not change anything material.

Disagree. Informed supporters are a board's worst nightmare.

So the alternative then is either to put up and shut up or to find something else to occupy one's spare time and money. Whatever you do as a supporter, don't grumble!

We are not talking about grumbling, Beej. We are a safe, comfortable distance beyond grumbling.

Would you not be better levelling this accusation directly at the posters who constantly exhibit these feelings towards Hibs instead of generally tarnishing vast numbers of us with this accusation?

I thought I was.

thing is the few morons are growing in number, I have noticed on my few and far between trips back to ER that its not just one or two, theres been large unrest in the support for many many years, it was curtailed for a wee while during a few good runs with Eck and TM, but now its back big time. Yi canna blame people for being annoyed,angry disillusioned etc,etc,etc,etc,,,,,,, but its now becoming ugly and you can feel it as you enter the ground. How do we change it how do we get negative fans positive again, we need a succesful team on the park, we have the stadium and the infrastructure, we have the young lads coming through we need a product on the park and I hate to say it again, Petrie is the man who needs to take a portion of the blame.We need a team on the park that will give everything, fight for 90 minutes, show the passion that has been lacking.

My local team in Holland, if you dont show the passion and dont fight for the team, ALL the fans will let you know in no uncertain terms,theres no hiding, even when they get beat they are clapped and cheered enthusiastically off the park, because they have put in a shift. We do have the morons, but they support the team. The support are unique in Holland.
If only we could harnass a little of what my local team have Hibs could take on anyone.
Petrie get the cheque book out, its now time to deliver a team worthy of the stadium,facilities and long suffering fans.

Phil, what magical cheque book is this and where is the money coming from?

Beefster
22-07-2011, 10:58 AM

No, it's not. There may be some that are perpetually unhappy or delirious at Hibs' actions but most of us are balanced.

Some folk do like to dismiss the criticisms as "you're always negative" though. Gives an easy reason to dismiss posts without expending too much effort, I suppose.

Cropley10
22-07-2011, 10:59 AM
HT, if you can find me a positive post for every negative one, or even get within 10 of the negatives, which equals some semblence of balance; I'll apologise and retract the opinion.

This site feeds off negativity.

Yes of course it does. Negativity breeds negativity. I've said it before but if you'd told me after the last game of the season that we'd only have signed two ex players and a CH in the close season I'd have thought that impossible.

This CS situation just feels like another negative thing. The CC situation was a negative thing. There's a lot of negativity around, so why are you surprised?

Captain Trips
22-07-2011, 10:59 AM

Maybe some think saying on here is their way of addressing issue giving their view, maybe it is not possible for people to do anything other than come here and say, what good is it that you are screaming about these people on here do either? do you feel you are addressing the issue you have with some people.

I will assume you have never came on here and questioned any decision made by, board, manager or a player after all as you seem to think it does no good to come on here and say anything you seem very passionate about that so I would assume if you did criticise you went and addressed it?

Stevie Reid
22-07-2011, 11:09 AM
I disagree HT. They not angry now, they are angry full stop. They do not forward our 'cause'. My posts attack the attackers you are right. It is done in the interests of balance. :wink:

I agree Stevie. If it is worth anything at all, I go by the old Lou Reed maxim 'Don't believe half of what you read and less of what you hear.'

I don't treat the club statements as total gospel nor the paper reports nor what a player says. I try to look at where the actions have backed up the rhetoric. Calderwood said squad of around 20 with four or so kids milling around. Check. This means we're spending the money we have (£1 less than we earn according to Rod but in reality much more than that) on the best players we can attract to get the most balanced squad. This is done in order to stand the best chance of competing at the top end of the table, cup runs and pushing for Europe as per the board's stated aim.

The press has said 'Uncertainty over Calderwood' I say uncertainty over any manager anywhere who could receive an offer better than the one they have. Every manager's postion is uncertain. EVERYONE. Calderwood has gone with his best offer (eg, his only one) Every Hibs manager or any other clubs manager would move for a better offer. We are not going forward with an unsure future under CC anymore than any other season under any other manager. If Man U had offered Yogi the chance last September to succeed Fergie, as ridiculous as the example is, he would have left Hibs high and dry.

So the reality is usually quite different from the propaganda coming from any source. It's worth looking at the outcomes. The outcomes are that we've signed three players of the right quality who were better than we had. We need more and the club are working on it. We have missed out on targets. We ALWAYS miss out on targets. Spurs miss out on targets. Barcelona STILL haven't signed Fabregas.

It's ok. Let's press on.

Yep. I might add that when I say that I treated CC's comment as gospel I meant that it was the only available quote on the CS situation available at the time, and even if we had been outbid by St. Johnstone, his statement is no less true because of it. I have also found it extremely frustrating that after many Hibs fans have demanded that the club comment on speculation despite it being against the board's policy, we have done it twice in a matter of weeks now but people are still outraged. CC's statement yesterday was immediately assumed to be a face saving, get-in-there first statement to save embarrassment, as opposed to the succint summing up of the situation that it was (and that so many demanded) - even if the former is true, it doesn't make the latter any less so.

I completely agree with regards to the managerial situation, and the reality of any managerial position. Having not been CC's biggest fan I wouldn't have been too upset to see him go, but he is here and we are going into a new season - everyone at Hibs has my full support. Agree also with regards to missing out on targets and the fact that that will always be the case - one poster actually made a good point regarding how we would have felt if Rankin and Nish had been players that we've missed out on, nevermind the whole host of underwhelming signings which we've seen recently. The glee with which the 'Michael Hart signs' thread was dug up, commented on, and laughed at recently was an interesting insight into the mentality of some too.

I still believe that we will make at least one more signing to get everyone excited, and I very much hope that I'm right - but even then, it's only taken the length of the shortest pre-season ever for Sproule and GOC to go from good, exciting signings, to desperados who were forced upon the manager.

We shall see what happens.

Speedway
22-07-2011, 11:10 AM
No, it's not. There may be some that are perpetually unhappy or delirious at Hibs' actions but most of us are balanced.

Some folk do like to dismiss the criticisms as "you're always negative" though. Gives an easy reason to dismiss posts without expending too much effort, I suppose.

Beef, any read of the the thread titles on the main page on a any day and the number of replies supporting the negative threads versus the number of replies on supportive threads challenges that view of balanced posters.

Yes of course it does. Negativity breeds negativity. I've said it before but if you'd told me after the last game of the season that we'd only have signed two ex players and a CH in the close season I'd have thought that impossible.

This CS situation just feels like another negative thing. The CC situation was a negative thing. There's a lot of negativity around, so why are you surprised?

I'm not surprised. I'm incredulous.

Maybe some think saying on here is their way of addressing issue giving their view, maybe it is not possible for people to do anything other than come here and say, what good is it that you are screaming about these people on here do either? do you feel you are addressing the issue you have with some people.

I will assume you have never came on here and questioned any decision made by, board, manager or a player after all as you seem to think it does no good to come on here and say anything, so if you did what did you do about it away from here?

On another thread recently, I forget which might even be this one, I explained one example of going to the club with what I felt was the solution to a particular problem that we had as a club. It's one of many instances this has happened.

On this occasion, as usual, I learned about how little I personally understand about running a football club. How wildly inaccurate my assumptions and perceptions were.

At our AGMs it's noticable how few questions are really penetrating. People must not feel they are going to get a straight answer or haven't the balls to ask or wouldn't understand the answer, I don't know. Over the years though patterns emerge.

I feel we complain for complaining's sake, especially online where there's no comeback and are keen to amplify perceived shortcomings but not nearly as keen to amplify perceived successes.

BEEJ
22-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by BEEJ

Why would my preference be the polar opposite?

Precisely because your critique is presented in black and white. There are no shades of grey according to your viewpoint.

Disagree. Informed supporters are a board's worst nightmare.

You cannot seriously believe that a delegation of twenty or so 'informed' representatives from the club's support could change the way that the club is run through dialogue with the Board? Not a chance.

I thought I was.
No, you're quite obviously not. Direct accusation means challenging specific posters who evidently 'hate' the club by responding to their posts.

Speedway
22-07-2011, 11:14 AM
We can now add this to the melting pot.

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Hibs-Colin-Calderwood-pulled-plug.6805749.jp

Now if we were to believe this, is this not consistant with the manager's 'We'll give them x amount of time to sign and if they don't we'll withdraw the offer and move on' sentiment?

Speedway
22-07-2011, 11:19 AM

Precisely because your critique is presented in black and white. There are no shades of grey according to your viewpoint.

You cannot seriously believe that a delegation of twenty or so 'informed' representatives from the club's support could change the way that the club is run through dialogue with the Board? Not a chance.

No, you're quite obviously not. Direct accusation means challenging specific posters who evidently 'hate' the club by responding to their posts.

1. So that's an assumption then?

2. Where does the figure of twenty come from?

3. Can the multi-quote facility handle hundreds?

Captain Trips
22-07-2011, 11:21 AM
Beef, any read of the the thread titles on the main page on a any day and the number of replies supporting the negative threads versus the number of replies on supportive threads challenges that view of balanced posters.

I'm not surprised. I'm incredulous.

On another thread recently, I forget which might even be this one, I explained one example of going to the club with what I felt was the solution to a particular problem that we had as a club. It's one of many instances this has happened.

On this occasion, as usual, I learned about how little I personally understand about running a football club. How wildly inaccurate my assumptions and perceptions were.

At our AGMs it's noticable how few questions are really penetrating. People must not feel they are going to get a straight answer or haven't the balls to ask or wouldn't understand the answer, I don't know. Over the years though patterns emerge.

I feel we complain for complaining's sake, especially online where there's no comeback and are keen to amplify perceived shortcomings but not nearly as keen to amplify perceived successes.

I do not know how to run a football club either but I think I have an opinion and mine is it could be run better, I might not have a solution but I can still think it could be done better. I a do not know how to run a country but I can say if things are not as I think they could be, could go on and on.

There are 100s of things in life we will all think can be better, we might have ideas on how to deal with them we might not, it might just be totally out of your hands but you know it isnt as good as it could be. On here people whom actually send emails to club with suggestions are quite often ridiculed which IMO is wrong all this its a jambo thing to do well you could say at least they went 1 stage further.

I do not think the current hibs board is doing Hibs justice do I have a solution? well change them, do I know who with? No I dont, doesnt mean I cant think they should be changed.

Speedway I am going to suggest you have complained about something on here and that is as far as it went so you cant be maoning at folk who do same, I am sure though you have also went 1 stage further than saying on here too not everyone though is you and do not deal with things they see as wrong as directly as others. This message baord is being used exactly what it is for.

Speedway
22-07-2011, 11:29 AM
I do not know how to run a football club either but I think I have an opinion and mine is it could be run better, I might not have a solution but I can still think it could be done better.

There are 100s of things in life we will all think can be better, we might have ideas on how to deal with them we might not, it might just be totally out of your hands but you know it isnt as good as it could be. On here people whom actually send emails to club with suggestions are quite often ridiculed which IMO is wrong all this its a jambo thing to do well you could say at least they went 1 stage further.

I do not think the current hibs board is doing Hibs justice do I have a solution? well change them, do I know who with? No I dont, doesnt mean I cant think they should be changed.

Speedway I am going to suggest you have complained about something on here and that is as far as it went so you cant be maoning at folk who do same, I am sure though you have also went 1 stage further than saying on here too not everyone though is you and do not deal with things they see as wrong as directly as others. This message baord is being used exactly what it is for.

Fair enough Carlsberg.

Now let's say you're a young footballer, a director of a limited company or a manager of a football team.

Let's say that people are allowed to post on a messageboard about your performance. Let's say that over the piece, most attacked you, mocked you, called for your removal, questioning your apitude, your commitment or even your parentage. Let's say that they paid their money to do so and used this as their right, their justification for their comments accessible to all including your family, your colleagues and your peers.

Would you suggest that this would be 'in support' of you? Would it assist you, motivate you, inspire you to try harder, improve and shine.

Let's say it happened for years on end on a daily basis including weekends especially. How would it impact you if at all?

I don't call this supporting. Others might.

When Hibernian's marketing line is 'together we're stronger' you wonder why they have a need to emphasise it.

BEEJ
22-07-2011, 11:31 AM
1. So that's an assumption then?
Less an assumption and more an opinion based on what I'm reading in your posts. That's all the information I have to go on.

2. Where does the figure of twenty come from?
Randomly used. But I did feel that a delegation any smaller would carry insufficient scale in terms of being truly representative of the support. And to be much larger presents immediate logistical problems as to where practically to hold the meeting. :greengrin

However, you name the number that you feel would do the trick. :wink:

3. Can the multi-quote facility handle hundreds?
I do understand your humour.

You could tackle them one by one, though, rather than calling them all to account in one long, mad unreadable tirade. :greengrin

Ray_
22-07-2011, 11:33 AM
We can now add this to the melting pot.

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Hibs-Colin-Calderwood-pulled-plug.6805749.jp

Now if we were to believe this, is this not consistant with the manager's 'We'll give them x amount of time to sign and if they don't we'll withdraw the offer and move on' sentiment?

All this says that Calderwood wanted him but was running out of patience!!! What does that tell you? ST Johnstone come in & sign him without any dramatics, so either it was money or Hibs are such an unattractive proposition, even although we have a shiny stadium & state of the art training facilities, either way, it doesn't say a lot about our club.

I haven't read many of the mountains of posts voicing criticism or you and others alternative views, but one thing that is very relevant, whatever your view on the matter, a large number of people who would normally spend money on hibs are no longer doing it & if they don't do anything about it, the board are even more clueless than many on here suggests.

Peevemor
22-07-2011, 11:37 AM
All this says that Calderwood wanted him but was running out of patience!!! What does that tell you? ST Johnstone come in & sign him without any dramatics, so either it was money or Hibs are such an unattractive proposition, even although we have a shiny stadium & state of the art training facilities, either way, it doesn't say a lot about our club.

I haven't read many of the mountains of posts voicing criticism or you and others alternative views, but one thing that is very relevant, whatever your view on the matter, a large number of people who would normally spend money on hibs are no longer doing it & if they don't do anything about it, the board are even more clueless than many on here suggests.

It doesn't look like there were many clubs fighting it out for Sheridan. That suggests to me that CC/the board were correct in sticking to their guns with the offer made.

Time will tell. :dunno:

Captain Trips
22-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Fair enough Carlsberg.

Now let's say you're a young footballer, a director of a limited company or a manager of a football team.

Let's say that people are allowed to post on a messageboard about your performance. Let's say that over the piece, most attacked you, mocked you, called for your removal, questioning your apitude, your commitment or even your parentage. Let's say that they paid their money to do so and used this as their right, their justification for their comments accessible to all including your family, your colleagues and your peers.

Would you suggest that this would be 'in support' of you? Would it assist you, motivate you, inspire you to try harder, improve and shine.

Let's say it happened for years on end on a daily basis including weekends especially. How would it impact you if at all?

I don't call this supporting. Others might.

When Hibernian's marketing line is 'together we're stronger' you wonder why they have a need to emphasise it.

I will be honest, if I am criticised makes me try more if I can, if I am doing my best I dont care but that is me and I accept another person might not handle things at all. Now this MB is one place and I agree with you that people will criticse a lot more on here than perhaps give more positive stuff. But the critic might be that the person is beyond improvement and the hope is they will go maybe so they will think it is in best interest of club. The split on here for critic to positive is probably more to critic, at matches I believe it swings far more to positive not saying ideal but I believe it to be so, based on that if I was player I would take what is said at matchdays on board also.

Together we will be stronger but IMO the club is as far away from the together as some of the fans are.

Stevie Reid
22-07-2011, 11:40 AM
It doesn't look like there were many clubs fighting it out for Sheridan. That suggests to me that CC/the board were correct in sticking to their guns with the offer made.

Sometimes the teams that you are competing with for a player's signature can be an indicator of true quality - I'm thinking us nipping in ahead of Livingston to sign Patrick N'Boussie, and Manchester United beating leads in the race for Kleberson.

Regardless, I would have liked us to sign Sheridan.

Speedway
22-07-2011, 11:44 AM
Less an assumption and more an opinion based on what I'm reading in your posts. That's all the information I have to go on.

Randomly used. But I did feel that a delegation any smaller would carry insufficient scale in terms of being truly representative of the support. And to be much larger presents immediate logistical problems as to where practically to hold the meeting. :greengrin

However, you name the number that you feel would do the trick. :wink:

I do understand your humour.

You could tackle them one by one, though, rather than calling them all to account in one long, mad unreadable tirade. :greengrin

OI!!!

It has been several long mad unreadable tirades alright?

Collectively, the support can do the most damage to a club that doesn't have significant sponsorships and tv money to soften the blow.

For me it's not the number of the delegation, it's the level of infuence.

For instance, are their supporters who influence the thinking of many paying punters. Are there Hibbies who sit in professional service firms, marketing firms, PR firms and other areas where expert opinion on how the club is being run in these areas could be used to educate the massive?

Could supporters clubs elect an influential informed and powerful delegation to take advantage of the open door policy offered and the AGMs? Could this be less of a pressure group and seen more of independent advocate?

Could this advocate then inform the .net morons :greengrin of what the crack actually is.

There are ways and means which require inspiration and resolve to enact.

Ray_
22-07-2011, 11:46 AM

You seem to have missed the point, regardless how it ends up, if CC wanted him & being three days before the season started, why all the drama, when the supposedly lesser lights can just waltz in & sign him, why are Hibs such an unattractive proposition?

Peevemor
22-07-2011, 11:48 AM
You seem to have missed the point, regardless how it ends up, if CC wanted him & being three days before the season started, why all the drama, when the supposedly lesser lights can just waltz in & sign him, why are Hibs such an unattractive proposition?

I think CC wanted him, but not at any price and on Hibs conditions.

Beefster
22-07-2011, 11:50 AM

I think that's because of current events (Riordan leaving, lack of expected signings after letting so many players go, Calderwood situation and players we are interested in signing elsewhere). The O'Connor, Sproule and O'Hanlon threads were overwhelmingly positive and the 'Calderwood statement' thread was largely positive. There is also the element that those who are happy or indifferent to an event are less likely to express that (i.e. I don't care about pre-season games or their results so don't really partcipate in the gnashing of teeth over them).

When good things happen, most folk are happy. When bad things happen or nothing is happening, when some perceive that it should be, some folk get twitchy but that happens in life. I'd much rather there was a sea of negativity on here and the club is supported on match day than folk expressing their unhappiness or frustration at the game.

Captain Trips
22-07-2011, 11:52 AM
OI!!!

It has been several long mad unreadable tirades alright?

Collectively, the support can do the most damage to a club that doesn't have significant sponsorships and tv money to soften the blow.

For me it's not the number of the delegation, it's the level of infuence.

For instance, are their supporters who influence the thinking of many paying punters. Are there Hibbies who sit in professional service firms, marketing firms, PR firms and other areas where expert opinion on how the club is being run in these areas could be used to educate the massive?

Could supporters clubs elect an influential informed and powerful delegation to take advantage of the open door policy offered and the AGMs? Could this be less of a pressure group and seen more of independent advocate?

Could this advocate then inform the .net morons :greengrin of what the crack actually is.

There are ways and means which require inspiration and resolve to enact.

That is fair enough but for me before looking at support and what they should do, IMO they should/we should be going along to watch a consistant and strong team, it IMO is the people whom run the club that have us where we are today hence the moaning. I am certainly not complaing for complaingings sake I believe that through the fault of whatever they are doing they are making errors with footballing matters and even with the gates as they are which they have contributed too with bad decisions they should still be doing a lot better. It is chicken and egg and unfortunatly it will have to be the club that are going to kick things off by making sure we are hitting heights. Gone are the days of maybe going along giving the club some money and not bothering too much if we were crap, people just do not have that disposable income these days and it is tough that along with resentment of wages to players people are looking for every pennys worth.

People just didnt stop going, people stop going when the club made errors in selection of managers leaving a downturn in results. If all the fans just 1 week stopped going then yeah fair enough but they didnt the crowds have went down due to the quality of what is on offer at the price. The club was in a good position and IMO ****ed it up that has led to what we have now.

Ray_
22-07-2011, 12:01 PM
I think CC wanted him, but not at any price and on Hibs conditions.

If he is not worth what ST Johnstone are paying for him, why are we targeting him? If its because we are not prepared the going rate, why are ST Johnstone in a stronger position to offer that rate than Hibs? Either way, no wonder we are starting to get tipped for the drop.

Broken Gnome
22-07-2011, 12:08 PM
The "similar figures" quoted in the Evening News doesn't really appease things...

Peevemor
22-07-2011, 12:09 PM
If he is not worth what ST Johnstone are paying for him, why are we targeting him? If its because we are not prepared the going rate, why are ST Johnstone in a stronger position to offer that rate than Hibs? Either way, no wonder we are starting to get tipped for the drop.

Maybe, as has been suggested, Hibs weren't happy with a 6 month loan deal.

jonty
22-07-2011, 12:14 PM
CC did want him, then CC didn't want him, so we didnt take him.

The manager not allowed to change his mind now?

What a fickle bunch we are.

Baldy Foghorn
22-07-2011, 12:39 PM

When have the Club EVER put a statement on website about losing a player? I can't recall it anytime, they obviously knew what was coming and tried to put positive spin on it, but failed IMO

LeithBoozy
22-07-2011, 12:40 PM
Tractor Drivers in Perth, ken whits gaun oan. :rolleyes:

Stevie Reid
22-07-2011, 12:46 PM
When have the Club EVER put a statement on website about losing a player? I can't recall it anytime, they obviously knew what was coming and tried to put positive spin on it, but failed IMO

I'm struggling to see why the club should be criticised for the statement, folk usually complain that Hibs are the last to tell you anything, but we knew that we were not signing him several hours before it was reported that he was signing for St. Johnstone. We don't usually comment on speculation but Calderwood had openly stated that he wanted Sheridan previously, and he had been on trial and we had started the process of trying to buy him, so this was a bit different.

We didn't put out statements when we lost out to Hearts for Webster, Barr or Hackett, we could easily have done the same in this situation. Maybe I'm seeing what I want to see, but so are people on the other side of the fence - CC is saying one thing, Sheridan the other, it's finished now anyway. Hibs said that we wanted to sign him, and then Hibs told us when the deal was dead - can't fault the communication on this one.

Thecat23
22-07-2011, 12:49 PM
CC did want him, then CC didn't want him, so we didnt take him.

The manager not allowed to change his mind now?

What a fickle bunch we are.

So to want him even after the Falkirk game then suddenly lose him right after it. Then say he didn't want him anyway does not for one bit seem a tad odd? Sorry doesn't wash with me. You don't say we want him he wants to be here and then change as quick as that. I just hope we have at least 2 new strikers in before the window closes.

Dirkster23
22-07-2011, 12:57 PM

:top marks Hibs don't have to make statements saying "We are operating a youth policy" "Loans are an unworkable platform for the future" It's bleedingly obvious to most of us that's exactly what's happening - with the state of the economy, Hibs balance sheet, wages to turnover ratio, Alastair's Stevenson's promotion and focus on young player development.

Let me get this right, Hibs haven't actually said we're running with a youth policy, but you think we are so that's it gospel :rolleyes: Every team in the SPL has to look to bring youth through and we're no different. If we're going all out on your youth policy what are ages are our only 3 signings this summer?

Ray_
I'm struggling to see why the club should be criticised for the statement, folk usually complain that Hibs are the last to tell you anything, but we knew that we were not signing him several hours before it was reported that he was signing for St. Johnstone. We don't usually comment on speculation but Calderwood had openly stated that he wanted Sheridan previously, and he had been on trial and we had started the process of trying to buy him, so this was a bit different.

We didn't put out statements when we lost out to Hearts for Webster, Barr or Hackett, we could easily have done the same in this situation. Maybe I'm seeing what I want to see, but so are people on the other side of the fence - CC is saying one thing, Sheridan the other, it's finished now anyway. Hibs said that we wanted to sign him, and then Hibs told us when the deal was dead - can't fault the communication on this one.

Given the wages they pay, for many, losing out on players to Hearts is understand, but to ST Johnstone, as has been proven, a fair few don't find that understandable, Hibs could see that & therefore the statement.

FWIW, I thought the statement was cringeworthy, before that all we heard was how the player was rated by our management & that we were trying to put together a deal & then to come out that we only want players who want to sign for Hibs, just prior to the same said player signing for ST Johnstone, was IMHO a PR disaster waiting to happen, totally senseless after building the player up so much.

Phil MaGlass
I thought I was.

Phil, what magical cheque book is this and where is the money coming from?

no magical cheque book were at a crossroads here and now if money is not put into the playing side and fast we may well chase off alot more disillusioned fans who have got better and cheaper things to be doing with their hard earned cash.
Theres no longer time to be tight with the money, we have to spend to compete, if we cant compete why the F, should we be going every week, Im getting a wee bit brassed off with people saying stuff like what magical chequebook and do you want us to end up in debt like the yams, the stark reality is and some folk should remember it is the fans are turning their backs on Hibs and it may already be too late for the club to turn the tide.

Ray_
22-07-2011, 01:02 PM
Let me get this right, Hibs haven't actually said we're running with a youth policy, but you think we are so that's it gospel :rolleyes: Every team in the SPL has to look to bring youth through and we're no different. If we're going all out on your youth policy what are ages are our only 3 signings this summer?

:agree: What are we basing this youth policy on? One unique batch of youngsters, forty years after the last similar bunch. When before the golden generation did we produce a player to be capped by Scotland, Kenny Miller I think it was & most likely John Collins before that, although I'm happy to accept if I'm wrong?

weecounty hibby
22-07-2011, 01:07 PM
No big loss IMO. Average player going to an average club. As far as I can see the terms and conditions weren't right for Hibs and we have not budged on what we were prepared to offer. Don't know what that was or wasn't and all the rumours on here about wages, bids, loans etc are just that rumours. Do you believe CS or CC or RP, agents, journos or the kit man at Perth? Who knows, lets just move on and hopefully beat the Tic on Sunday with Garry O and Ivan, guys who really want to play for the club, up front!

Stevie Reid
22-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Given the wages they pay, for many, losing out on players to Hearts is understand, but to ST Johnstone, as has been proven, a fair few don't find that understandable, Hibs could see that & therefore the statement.

FWIW, I thought the statement was cringeworthy, before that all we heard was how the player was rated by our management & that we were trying to put together a deal & then to come out that we only want players who want to sign for Hibs, just prior to the same said player signing for ST Johnstone, was IMHO a PR disaster waiting to happen, totally senseless after building the player up so much.

I was gonna make that point actually - all the more reason to make a statement to try and stop people assuming that we've lost out due to wages. Though I do appreciate that the statement has undoubtedly failed, it was a statement informing us what was going on - the assumption is that it is an attempt to put positive spin on a failure (which may well be true), but the many posters on here are equally (actually more) guilty of spinning it their way too.

FWIW, I don't recall Calderwood building Sheridan up that much - he obviously said he was a good player and that he wanted to sign him, but he also made pretty flat statements like "his agent knows how much we can afford to pay". I don't recall him gushing about CS.

jonty
22-07-2011, 01:14 PM
So to want him even after the Falkirk game then suddenly lose him right after it. Then say he didn't want him anyway does not for one bit seem a tad odd? Sorry doesn't wash with me. You don't say we want him he wants to be here and then change as quick as that. I just hope we have at least 2 new strikers in before the window closes.
Only having been married for a coulpe of years, yes it does seem strange when people change their mind suddenly but i'm getting used to it.
For all we know CS called CC a waste of space. who knows (although i'm sure that wont stop speculation).

CC changed his mind - who are we to be the judge of that? he's the manager - his choice.

Yes, I agree we need a couple of more players to strengthen the squad but again it's the managers call. Who knows for definate how many players we've missed out on? no-one on these boards, thats for sure.

Hibeescott
22-07-2011, 01:21 PM
EEN reports that Hibs did go for a season long loan deal, that the figures were very similar to St Johnstone, and Calderwood got fed up waiting and pulled the plug. If he had waited another few hours then he might of had his man! If they are correct with the statement on the figures, then we are offering the same as a club like St Johnstone.

Ray_
22-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Only having been married for a coulpe of years, yes it does seem strange when people change their mind suddenly but i'm getting used to it.
For all we know CS called CC a waste of space. who knows (although i'm sure that wont stop speculation).

CC changed his mind - who are we to be the judge of that? he's the manager - his choice.

Yes, I agree we need a couple of more players to strengthen the squad but again it's the managers call. Who knows for definate how many players we've missed out on? no-one on these boards, thats for sure.

Many fans know the season starts in a couple of days, how dire we were last season, how short we are going in to this season & some are all ready dreading the new season, so although its the managers call, it affects a large number of people, in varying degrees.

Lucius Apuleius
22-07-2011, 01:24 PM
We will not be relegated.

Please feel free to throw this at me in ten months time.

I repeat, we will not be relegated.

:cgwa

Broken Gnome
22-07-2011, 01:24 PM
If Hibs are a business (and they are, given they should be drumming up support to prevent an awful home gate on Saturday), then they should be addressing negative opinion on that business. This isn't one of those 'the club NEED to tell us what is going on' after someone may have seen CC in a cafe that was slightly closer to Nottingham than Edinburgh situation. They knew how bad this would look, hence the statement, and knew what the supporter reaction would be. The statement therefore has done nothing to help matters whatsoever, as we have a whole days press and player quotes that aid the theory that Saints simply put a better offer together.

If the truth is far more kind to Hibs, which it still probably is, it's really in their very best interests to tell us so. The one Evening News line saying our figures were "similar" does bugger all quite frankly. If a customer base is p!ssed off, rightly or wrongly, they should be kept onside. This isn't doing so.

YehButNoBut
22-07-2011, 02:29 PM
Interesting view on Sheridan going to St J from Sir Brian Hine in the Scotsman forum, quite possible, I suppose.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now the CS issue, which I know you all love, however, very very simple, Hibs had him and wanted him, CS wanted Hibs, CSKA was happy with the offer Hibs made, the reason the deal wasn't done was because CS tried to play hardball on personal terms, Hibs said No and pulled out. The problem for the boy of course is he need to get out of CSKA, St J came in and offered CSKA the exact same deal, they took it and then gave CS quite a bit less, despite him personally calling CC to say he would accept less, CC stuck to his principles (something you yaks know nothing about) and said, too late, move on.

Thats all there is to it, the kind of thing that happens in football negotiations every day.

Stevie Reid
22-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Interesting view on Sheridan going to St J from Sir Brian Hine in the Scotsman forum, quite possible, I suppose.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now the CS issue, which I know you all love, however, very very simple, Hibs had him and wanted him, CS wanted Hibs, CSKA was happy with the offer Hibs made, the reason the deal wasn't done was because CS tried to play hardball on personal terms, Hibs said No and pulled out. The problem for the boy of course is he need to get out of CSKA, St J came in and offered CSKA the exact same deal, they took it and then gave CS quite a bit less, despite him personally calling CC to say he would accept less, CC stuck to his principles (something you yaks know nothing about) and said, too late, move on.

Thats all there is to it, the kind of thing that happens in football negotiations every day.

Would certainly tie in with CC's "only wanting players who actually want to play for Hibs" quote.

Hibiza
22-07-2011, 02:40 PM
Strange one and I dont think for a moment this is financial on Hibs part. Maybe hes been loaned by CSKA to put in shop window and Hibs didnt want such an arrangement as we have other orons in the fire. Dont think hes fit and maybe hes not that into playing for us. Best avoided in this case and St Johnston are welcome to him. Agree more behind the scenes going on than we know at mo but sounds to me like we dogged a bullet. Better than him in the market and cant believe he got 14k a week in Bulgaria .

We do need players ASAP but unfortunately well prob have to wait until end of window to see what cards are played

Sproule up top against a slow Celtic defence?

Nice one.

jonty
22-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Many fans know the season starts in a couple of days, how dire we were last season, how short we are going in to this season & some are all ready dreading the new season, so although its the managers call, it affects a large number of people, in varying degrees.
i'd agree with that.
I'm sure the club/manager/board all know that too. They're the only ones in a position to do anything about it and i'm sure they havent been sitting about doing nowt.

matty_f
22-07-2011, 03:01 PM
Calderwood gives his account of what happened to the deal on hibs tv, for those that want to hear it.

Danderhall Hibs
22-07-2011, 03:14 PM
Calderwood gives his account of what happened to the deal on hibs tv, for those that want to hear it.

Is it a freeview?

matty_f
22-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Is it a freeview? No.

Aldo
22-07-2011, 03:19 PM

Wots he saying Matty.

Too much of a tight wad at the moment and dont have HTV??

Saorsa
22-07-2011, 03:23 PM
Wots he saying Matty.

Too much of a tight wad at the moment and dont have HTV??He cannae tell you that, otherwise they wouldnae be able tae get any mair money out of folk. :wink: I wouldnae pay tae hear what he has tae say, I dinnae particularly want tae hear what he says if it's free.

matty_f
22-07-2011, 03:24 PM
Wots he saying Matty. Too much of a tight wad at the moment and dont have HTV?? He said pretty much that he didn't get the feeling that cs wanted to come that much, and when he didn't hear back from cs he decided to walk away from the deal. Cs subsequently phoned him to say saints had made an offer and both parties ended it there.

Aldo
22-07-2011, 03:27 PM
He cannae tell you that, otherwise they wouldnae be able tae get any mair money out of folk. :wink: I wouldnae pay tae hear what he has tae say, I dinnae particularly want tae hear what he says if it's free.

Yir in yir usual gid mood the day J??

:wink:

Sir David Gray
22-07-2011, 03:27 PM
He said pretty much that he didn't get the feeling that cs wanted to come that much, and when he didn't hear back from cs he decided to walk away from the deal. Cs subsequently phoned him to say saints had made an offer and both parties ended it there.

So, in other words, Cillian Sheridan has chosen St Johnstone over Hibs? :rolleyes:

What a sad, sad day.

Aldo
22-07-2011, 03:28 PM
He said pretty much that he didn't get the feeling that cs wanted to come that much, and when he didn't hear back from cs he decided to walk away from the deal. Cs subsequently phoned him to say saints had made an offer and both parties ended it there.

good on him. If CS thought he was going to take Hibs fir a ride then he can GTF.

Sorry CS will do what CS wants. :bye:

Danderhall Hibs
22-07-2011, 03:29 PM
No.

So jsut to clarify then not everyone that wants to hear it can hear it?! :greengrin

matty_f
22-07-2011, 03:31 PM
So jsut to clarify then not everyone that wants to hear it can hear it?! :greengrinDepends how much they want to hear it, I suppose!

Kaiser1962
22-07-2011, 03:31 PM
So, in other words, Cillian Sheridan has chosen St Johnstone over Hibs? :rolleyes:

What a sad, sad day.

Is that what Matty said?

matty_f
22-07-2011, 03:32 PM
So, in other words, Cillian Sheridan has chosen St Johnstone over Hibs? :rolleyes:What a sad, sad day. That is one way to interpret it, if you want to have a sad, sad day.

Beefster
22-07-2011, 03:35 PM
That is one way to interpret it, if you want to have a sad, sad day.

Sheridan didn't really want to come to Hibs, according to Calderwood. He went to St Johnstone. Them's the facts.

Aldo
22-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Sheridan didn't really want to come to Hibs, according to Calderwood. He went to St Johnstone. Them's the facts.

CS was looking out for CS and want the best deal he could. He used Hibs to try and get a deal that would suit and and looks like he got what he wanted.

matty_f
22-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Is that what Matty said?

No, it was "other words" which basically is when you just suck one side of the story right out of the equation and present everyone with more woe.:agree:

Them's some of the facts, the ones that you can select to make it look like Hibs had no part in the decision to not progress the deal. Them's the facts that miss out the bit about Hibs ending their interest prior to CS calling CC.

Kaiser1962
22-07-2011, 03:40 PM

Didnt Calderwood say something early on about not being used by someone running between clubs saying that I got offered this by "x" in an attempt to get a better deal for themselves?

Is that what happened here?

BEEJ
22-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Matty, thanks for passing that on.

Taken in isolation, with a number of alternative options at your disposal, that might well have been the appropriate negotiating stance to take with CS.

But three days before the start of the season, the squad lacking in the striker department and having had this player on high-profile trial for over a week, it smacks of a clumsy approach to the issue, if true.

In the end CS has strolled across to Perth to get a deal that sounds not that much more expensive than what Hibs were prepared to offer. Meantime we have wasted our time. And the issue of a 12 month loan offer from Hibs versus the 6 month loan deal at Perth does not appear to be a significant factor, otherwise CC would have mentioned it.

Beefster
22-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Didnt Calderwood say something early on about not being used by someone running between clubs saying that I got offered this by "x" in an attempt to get a better deal for themselves?

Is that what happened here?

Very possibly and I can believe that Sheridan 'tried it on' or didn't get back within a certain timeframe. Calderwood's statement have been inconsistent though over the course of this week.

I just think we might have cut our nose off to spite our face by not taking him when he did get back in touch, considering our striker situation. Time will tell, I suppose.

matty_f
22-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Matty, thanks for passing that on.

Taken in isolation, with a number of alternative options at your disposal, that might well have been the appropriate negotiating stance to take with CS.

But three days before the start of the season, the squad lacking in the striker department and having had this player on high-profile trial for over a week, it smacks of a clumsy approach to the issue, if true.

In the end CS has strolled across to Perth to get a deal that sounds not that much more expensive than what Hibs were prepared to offer. Meantime we have wasted our time. Meanwhile the issue of a 12 month loan offer from Hibs versus the 6 month loan deal at Perth does not appear to be a significant factor, otherwise CC would have mentioned it.

I think the loan deal bit has just evolved on here and become 'fact', which tends to happen with a number of things. I appreciate 325Easter Road had some direct info from St Johnstone which presented something different but then we don't know what CS's agent has told St Johnstone about what Hibs were offering...

I don't think CS said at any point that he didn't want to come to Hibs, CC said he didn't get the feeling that he did and that he had heard nothing and so decided to end the deal. CS then phoned to say that St Johnstone had made an offer, CC wished him well and both parties walked away.

In my opinion, which will likely get dismissed out of hand, CC does not like being used as a pawn in negotiations and wants to do business with players that want to get deals done, rather than looking for extra money on what's been agreed. I think he's basically sensed this was happening and washed his hands of it.