PDA

View Full Version : Pitch

hibbysam
20-07-2011, 07:56 AM
sitting in the 1875 lounge in easter road at the moment looking out on to the pitch and that needs a lot of work to be fine for sunday, patches of soil all over, looks pretty bad with less than a week til the start of the season it looks more like a november pitch than a july one!

R'Albin
20-07-2011, 08:05 AM
So I have been hearing although I don't think it looks that bad going by the pictures on the PM board:confused:

Here is one of the uploaded pictures though-

http://www.hibs.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=7513&d=1311107793

Mikey
20-07-2011, 08:07 AM
That's probably because we've had November weather, not July weather.

Here's what the club have done in the last year.......... the pitch was completely relaid this time last year and it was fine until we got all that snow in December. They've taken the decision to re seed it and we've had the wettest, least sunny, summer I can remember. And I've seen a few :greengrin

It'll be the fault of someone who gets paid too much though :wink:

.Whitey.
20-07-2011, 08:22 AM
Hibs have purchased a set of tines for their TORO SR54 (soil reliever) from my work. This should alow them to get rid of most of the water while aerifying the grass at a deep level - quickly and efficently. i have faith in the ground staff at easter road to have the pitch ready for sunday

ManBearPig
20-07-2011, 08:22 AM
This is a genuine concern if the pitch is in a terrible state at the beginning of the season as to my recollection it has degraded badly by October the past two years. Surely for a team that historically likes to play football the state of the pitch should be a priority.

Hamish
20-07-2011, 08:23 AM
Hibs have purchased a set of tines for their TORO SR54 (soil reliever) from my work. This should alow them to get rid of most of the water while aerifying the grass at a deep level - quickly and efficently. i have faith in the ground staff at easter road to have the pitch ready for sunday

:aok:

hibbysam
20-07-2011, 09:02 AM
yes maybe it has been a poor summer, but I'd expect the whole groundstaff out there getting it ready, but yet there is not one soul working on the pitch!

Geo_1875
20-07-2011, 09:12 AM
yes maybe it has been a poor summer, but I'd expect the whole groundstaff out there getting it ready, but yet there is not one soul working on the pitch!

I agree, they should all be out there convincing the grass to grow faster.

Andy74
20-07-2011, 09:39 AM

:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
20-07-2011, 09:49 AM

:faf::faf::top marks

yekimevol
20-07-2011, 09:55 AM
they have been using the wrong fertilizer on this pitch and it has apparently damaged the pitch.

hibbysam
20-07-2011, 09:55 AM
and if its been far too wet a summer why then would they feel the need to put sprinklers on every day this week? strange that :S they are groundsman getting paid by hibs, surely its there job to be out working on the pitch to put it in the best condition possible!

hibbysam
20-07-2011, 10:01 AM
they have been using the wrong fertilizer on this pitch and it has apparently damaged the pitch. Looks like it, I'm sitting in a box in the west stand and the far side looks decent, hence why the pictures probably look good, but all the way down the main stand side, all you can see is patches of soil!

southern hibby
20-07-2011, 10:02 AM
its a tactic by Hibs to let the celtic players tire out running on a heavy wet surface and then unleashing sproule on them second half. Thats why in pre season weve been bad first half, so we can run riot second half.GGTTH.

MacBean
20-07-2011, 10:21 AM
Looks like it, I'm sitting in a box in the west stand and the far side looks decent, hence why the pictures probably look good, but all the way down the main stand side, all you can see is patches of soil!

If its all down that side, perhaps is to do with the lack of sun!?

hibbysam
20-07-2011, 10:37 AM
If its all down that side, perhaps is to do with the lack of sun!? The point of saying it was only visible down one side was to show how pictures don't tell the whole story, from close up the west side is bad, if I was in the east that side may well be bad too but from far away its hard to tell, and lack of sun would affect the whole pitch not just one side, last summer was far from sunny yet the pitch was perfect against maribor

hailhail22
20-07-2011, 03:44 PM
i was just in one of the lounges in the west stand i thought the pitch looked perfect except there was two patches covered by a couple of sheets so couldnt see what it was like under them.

edwards
20-07-2011, 04:26 PM
Was down at Er with my grandson showing him the ground as the yam in laws have been trying to turn him to the dark side, he was overjoyed when the guys i at the gate let me in to have a peek and I took a couple of photos of him beside the goals.
Anyway had a peek at the pitch and it certainly looked a bit sketchy and there was a small tractor out cutting the grass trying to work on it but it certainly didn't look in the best of conditions.

col02
20-07-2011, 04:32 PM

With the rain that fell this morning and last night any machinery on the pitch would do more harm than good sadly. As a greenkeeper on one of the local golf courses in Edinburgh I can assure you that this Summer has been a very unhelpful one for all concerned within the fine turf industry. I have faith in the groundstaff that they will have as good a pitch for the start of the season as the weather will have allowed them to.

HibsMax
20-07-2011, 06:45 PM
It's pretty tough to grow grass (the legal stuff). Too much sun. Not enough sun. Too much water. Not enough water. There are things that can be done to help but you can't fight nature. Did any other team lay a new surface recently? If so, how are they dealing with the adverse weather conditions?