What happened to that then :dunno:

Lucius Apuleius
20-07-2011, 07:36 AM

Doon the chunky for some people.

:cgwa

R'Albin
20-07-2011, 07:48 AM
I don't understand it though, we haven't even played a competitive game yet and folk are writing us off.

IWasThere2016
20-07-2011, 07:50 AM

I think you need to define support M .. it means different things to different people, and undoubtedly at different times.

This is a tough time. The off the park strengths are obvious, the on the park weakness sadly are more so.

Previously and personally, I have supported the Hibs when we were heading out of the SPL or in the Frist Division as this was the time the support was needed most. Next would be under TM as we had it good. Good football, results and young Hibbys playing for the shirt.

Regardless of our individual take on matters now, I know - on here - we're all Hibbys .. and moreover we all die Hibbys.

GGTTH

:flag:

3pm
20-07-2011, 08:04 AM

Disappointed with the turn out at Falkirk?

green&left
20-07-2011, 08:16 AM
I'll still be at every game next season (mostly for the day out factor more than anything) but I won't judge anyone who can't be REMOVED anymore, we've been on a downward spiral since our cup win in 2007.

I've missed about 5 home games in as many seasons but had to think twice about parting with £29.50 for a ticket for Sundays match. No excitement, no optimism, zilch.

lucky
20-07-2011, 08:18 AM
There is an air of despair about Hibs just now and the negative comments on internet forums contribute to this. But if Hibs get a result on Sunday then it will all positive for another week.

green&left
20-07-2011, 08:21 AM
There is an air of despair about Hibs just now and the negative comments on internet forums contribute to this. But if Hibs get a result on Sunday then it will all positive for another week.

Until we get pumped by Inverness :greengrin:

Cabbage East
20-07-2011, 08:49 AM
I don't understand it though, we haven't even played a competitive game yet and folk are writing us off.

Maybe people are concered that, with the first game of the season only a few days away, we have failed to strengthen the squad anywhere near as much as we need to to be at all competitive next season. A valid concern I think.

Speedway
20-07-2011, 08:55 AM
The feel of a football game at ER has totally changed from my teens. When I attend lower league games it's still like it used to be at Hibs.

Someone mentioned ladies getting out their hello magazines during matches and it is all too casual. The fight and sense of rallying cries has completely gone. Sometimes you could close your eyes and have no idea that the match has kicked off.

R'Albin
20-07-2011, 09:01 AM
Maybe people are concered that, with the first game of the season only a few days away, we have failed to strengthen the squad anywhere near as much as we need to to be at all competitive next season. A valid concern I think.

Okay we need a few more players, I'm not disagreeing there, but the window doesn't slam shut for a few weeks and we will bring in more players, that I'm sure of. For know though can't we just start on a clean slate and support the players we do have and actually give them a chance to prove themselves this season?

Baldy
20-07-2011, 09:21 AM
can't we just start on a clean slate and support the players we do have and actually give them a chance to prove themselves this season?

no

hibs0666
20-07-2011, 09:32 AM
no

Why?

Baldy
20-07-2011, 09:38 AM
Why?

because a huge section of our support will not do it and the crowd will be on the players backs from kick off ... its just the way a lot of our "support" have been over last few seasons

Speedway
20-07-2011, 09:41 AM
Why?

Not the Hibs way. Hated until proven decent.

Thecat23
20-07-2011, 09:41 AM
The feel of a football game at ER has totally changed from my teens. When I attend lower league games it's still like it used to be at Hibs.

Someone mentioned ladies getting out their hello magazines during matches and it is all too casual. The fight and sense of rallying cries has completely gone. Sometimes you could close your eyes and have no idea that the match has kicked off.

I 100% agree with that. Could not have put it better myself. From when I was a young lad to now it's nothing like it was.

marinello59
20-07-2011, 09:42 AM
because a huge section of our support will not do it and the crowd will be on the players backs from kick off ... its just the way a lot of our "support" have been over last few seasons

Pity those ''supporters'' don't just stay away then.

Speedway
20-07-2011, 09:44 AM

Or better yet, give us their money and then stay away.

Wilson
20-07-2011, 09:46 AM
Or better yet, give us their money and then stay away.

Or better yet we can all pay our money and the team stays away.

Kojock
20-07-2011, 09:50 AM
Regardless of our individual take on matters now, I know - on here - we're all Hibbys .. and moreover we all die Hibbys.

GGTTH

Disagree with the bit in bold, as I draw my last breath on this earth I am going to become a Hertz supporter, the way I look at it its better one of them dying than a Hibby:agree:

Speedway
20-07-2011, 10:00 AM
Or better yet we can all pay our money and the team stays away.

It's the Hibernian way.

Ray_
20-07-2011, 10:00 AM

They have been at ER since before your namesake scored those two goals at Ibrox.

Ray_
20-07-2011, 10:08 AM

We had two wingers that could get past defenders and great players, throughout the team, that led to terrific excitement and entertainment for your 12.5 pence.

blackpoolhibs
20-07-2011, 10:26 AM
Never mind that, what happened to removed the boys in blue 6-2 or playing in Morroco?

Tricla
20-07-2011, 10:29 AM

Yeah, and IMO these 'fans' are all complete :asshole:'s.

They'll argue that they've paid their money so they can shout what they like.

Fair enough. For the sake of the rest of us and the team, you could still pay your money to shout what you like by sitting in the away end with the rest of the people who are against us.

Saorsa
20-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Pity those ''supporters'' don't just stay away then.There's plenty of people staying away (and keeping their money) already, you think more should be encouraged tae do that? Wonder if Petrie will agree with you? I doubt it, he disnae care whae turns up as long as he gets their dosh.

marinello59
20-07-2011, 11:48 AM
There's plenty of people staying away (and keeping their money) already, you think more should be encouraged tae do that? Wonder if Petrie will agree with you? I doubt it, he disnae care whae turns up as long as he gets their dosh.

That's not my point and you know it. No need.

Judas Iscariot
20-07-2011, 12:07 PM
There's plenty of people staying away (and keeping their money) already, you think more should be encouraged tae do that? Wonder if Petrie will agree with you? I doubt it, he disnae care whae turns up as long as he gets their dosh. :agree: ....We'll have to fill in a form and make sure we tick at least 75% of the "correct" boxes before we're allowed in...

steakbake
20-07-2011, 12:28 PM

That long?

I reckon folk will be bumping their gums by Monday evening that we only managed to win 2-1 and that O'Connor missed a sitter to make it 3.

Jack
20-07-2011, 12:42 PM
Being a Hibs fan is a bit like giving birth (I don’t have first hand experience BTW :rolleyes:).

After each birth the mother says, quite often under her breath lest us delicate men hear it, “never again” as the pain is strong and the body is weak. However the body soon regains its strength and the memory of the pain fades to the dim and distant past. All bad things forgotten, a whiff of gas, subsequent children are invariably born. :agree:

Likewise after each season Hibs fans forget the bad times of the previous season, the poor cup runs, the home defeats. I suspect most other clubs fans are the same. But we buy our season tickets safe in the knowledge there will be no pain and next season will be a doddle, our season.

The birth of a new season brings us refreshed hope and eager anticipation; will this be the season of bright exciting football? The next match the one that we will remember for the rest of our days? Our cup dreams overfloweth as once again we’re in it to win it! YES I FEEL GOOD, I FEEL THE WORLD IS AT MY FEET, THIS IS OUR SEASON, THE ROAR OF THE CROWD, ITS F’IN FANTASTIC TO BE A HIBS SUPPORTER.

I am however afraid the pain of last season was too much for many to bare, its still a tad difficult to walk without wincing and that previous season is still screaming in our ears.

Now, in the final hours of labour, that new season, without an aesthetically pleasing good pre-season, isn't looking as good as it should.

Cropley10
20-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Being a Hibs fan is a bit like giving birth (I don’t have first hand experience BTW :rolleyes:).

After each birth the mother says, quite often under her breath lest us delicate men hear it, “never again” as the pain is strong and the body is weak. However the body soon regains its strength and the memory of the pain fades to the dim and distant past. All bad things forgotten, a whiff of gas, subsequent children are invariably born. :agree:

Likewise after each season Hibs fans forget the bad times of the previous season, the poor cup runs, the home defeats. I suspect most other clubs fans are the same. But we buy our season tickets safe in the knowledge there will be no pain and next season will be a doddle, our season.

The birth of a new season brings us refreshed hope and eager anticipation; will this be the season of bright exciting football? The next match the one that we will remember for the rest of our days? Our cup dreams overfloweth as once again we’re in it to win it! YES I FEEL GOOD, I FEEL THE WORLD IS AT MY FEET, THIS IS OUR SEASON, THE ROAR OF THE CROWD, ITS F’IN FANTASTIC TO BE A HIBS SUPPORTER.

I am however afraid the pain of last season was too much for many to bare, its still a tad difficult to walk without wincing and that previous season is still screaming in our ears.

Now, in the final hours of labour, that new season, without an aesthetically pleasing good pre-season, isn't looking as good as it should.

It's all to do with how few ST's we've sold.

Hibs12thMan
20-07-2011, 05:00 PM

Alive and kicking we would say :flag:

Last season, within the Singing Section, and in some other areas of the ground, we could go several games without hearing a dissenting voice. Round about mid-season we witnessed more than 70 minutes of constant singing and cheering on the team. One of the basic principles of Hibs12thMan is unswerving support for the team on the park during the game - win, lose or draw.

That support is unconditional whether we are 3rd, 12th or even dare we say it SPL or SFL. It's based on the principle that players play better supported than when subject to abuse. Colin Calderwood, his coaches, his players and Hibs Directors all reiterated that message several times last season. This season we are aiming to put on a better show.

We need to strive for Zero Tolerance to abuse, where it simply is not acceptable to loudly abuse your own players. For those who think it's OK to dish out abuse please consider :-

You are arrogantly implying that your right to scream and shout is greater than our right to watch the match
We've paid for a ticket but we have to listen to you?
You are selfishly showing a complete lack of consideration to your fellow supporters
Giving people close by a splitting headache
If players can hear your abuse you will be demotivating them
Who wants to play for a team where fans behave like that?
Adversly affecting ticket sakes by inducing an unenjoyable atmosphere

R'Albin
20-07-2011, 05:26 PM

Last season, within the Singing Section, and in some other areas of the ground, we could go several games without hearing a dissenting voice. Round about mid-season we witnessed more than 70 minutes of constant singing and cheering on the team. One of the basic principles of Hibs12thMan is unswerving support for the team on the park during the game - win, lose or draw.

That support is unconditional whether we are 3rd, 12th or even dare we say it SPL or SFL. It's based on the principle that players play better supported than when subject to abuse. Colin Calderwood, his coaches, his players and Hibs Directors all reiterated that message several times last season. This season we are aiming to put on a better show.

We need to strive for Zero Tolerance to abuse, where it simply is not acceptable to loudly abuse your own players. For those who think it's OK to dish out abuse please consider :-

You are arrogantly implying that your right to scream and shout is greater than our right to watch the match
You are selfishly showing a complete lack of consideration to your fellow supporters

:agree: So everything going okay for next year for the 12th man? Any plans?

Craig_in_Prague
20-07-2011, 05:53 PM

Good post!

However I have to say attending football matches now is not what it used to be.
I loved going to the old east when I was young. People bawled and shouted, some personal things to players, but it seemed done in a humurous way, there was plenty banter and I don't think our own players minded, perhaps now it's all too distasteful what people are shouting and is bound to have an adverse affect.
Despite being 100% behind safety concerns at matches, the all seated stadiums are really a bit like going to the cinema now, fans these days turn up and feel they need to be entertained.
I take my hat off to those trying to generate support to the side no matter who we are playing or how we are playing.

I just can't help but think it's a pity football has gone the way it has, very little 'rapport' with players and fans, lack of humour in the ground and a general 21st century attitude of a paying customer. You're there to see YOUR team, so bloody get behind them. If all you can do is shout abuse till your red in the face, take up boxing or some other sport to release a bit anger, perhaps before going to ER?

I'm only 31 soon but already like to talk about the old days.........sad eh......:greengrin

oldbutdim
20-07-2011, 06:02 PM

A bit desperate no?
Do you really have to gas your women in order to have them conceive?
Mrs Oldbutdim used to get a bit frisky after a couple of Cider and Babychams and I plied her with them occasionally admittedly.
But if I had to knock her out with gas first I'd be loathe to write it on a messageboard to be honest.

HFC 0-7
20-07-2011, 06:04 PM
As far back as I can remember about going to Hibs games there were always people in the crowd that shouted abuse at our own players straight from the word go, the difference now is that these people can be the loudest in the stadium and are heard the most. IMO people getting on players has increased that much if at all, what has changed is the atmosphere, it can be so quite sometimes that you can hear peoples conversations. As others have said on here, the type of person has changed that is going to the matches, IMo it isnt more negative people, its more people that arent really into football or hibs.

Now before I get shot down here I will state that there are a lot of female supporters that do go to the football because they are passionate about hibs, but in addition to that there are a lot of female supporters that go that arent really that interested. 2 seasons ago I had a group of 4 or 5 women behind me that sat and talked about their rubbish husbands and Ian Murrays backside. Credit has to be given to these women though as they seemed to be taking their young boys along to the football so without them we would have been 5 or 6 young hibbys down.

In summary I think there are just the same amount of negative people going to the games who look for the first wayward pass so they can vent their spleen. Its the singers, the positive shouters that have gone. I sit at the north end of the east stand and trying to get a song started their is nigh on impossible, everynow and again the singing section catches on and people join in but not for long. hopefully the singing section and 12th man will increase in size and people will realise its more fun to have a sing song!

WindyMiller
20-07-2011, 06:19 PM

:agree::agree:

Also, I've never understood why a supporter would want to even attend a match and then spend the match shouting abuse at the team he claims to support.

Ray_
20-07-2011, 06:33 PM
:agree::agree:

Also, I've never understood why a supporter would want to even attend a match and then spend the match shouting abuse at the team he claims to support.

:top marks

I give the club plenty of stick on here, but I've never gave any player stick within ER or at any Hibs match.

Even in the sixties & during the TT's, you'd always get the big mouth's running down the particular victim/s of that time. As this has gone on since I started going in the mid-sixties, I wonder if the need to shout abuse is generic & is passed from generation to generation.....

JohnScott
20-07-2011, 07:58 PM

That may be true but before you younger fans get too sanctimonious just remember that many of those same fans gave previous Hibs teams fantastic backing when they needed it. What's going on just now is down to frustration. We are rightly proud to talk about TM's team but instead of building on it we had to watch the best of that talent being sold off. We have to go way back to the early seventies to find another squad worthy of being classed "great". When Turnbulls Tornadoes were no more many of us travelled week after week, year after year, home and away. Many of us remember going to Aberdeen to see us being humped 6 nil or Parkhead, Ibrox...........always we'd ask why do we bother but we would be there the following week roaring on the Hibees. Then along came Mowbray with an exciting young team. At last, reward for years of faithful support. Or so we thought!

So what's changed? A lot of fans are totally pissed off being taken for granted. We now pay more for less. Players today seem to think they are world class once they get into the squad. Theyre not. In fact many of them are very ordinary players indeed. I'm a big fan of Deeks but 30k a week in a country where vast numbers of its people have to survive on a few dollars a month just sums up how sick the modern game has become.

Fans are totally frustrated by what's going on nowadays. This pre-season is without doubt one of the worst I can recall. The years after we were relegated were more exciting than this one. A manager keen to go after 9 months and a team well short on resources. You couldnt make it up.

As fans we all want Hibs to grow. To challenge in Europe annually like we used to do. So what if we have a great big shiny new stadium. At the recent Hearts game it had THOUSANDS of empty seats. Our biggest game and we cant fill the stands. That speaks volumes.

Finally, to the original poster. The vast majority of us will support them evermore. Just dont get too sanctimonious though. I was in the lowest gate at ER of 1200 against Partick in 1980. Many of those on here of my age group weren't. Especially those who like to come over all pompous from time to time. :wink:

Jonnyboy
20-07-2011, 08:20 PM
That may be true but before you younger fans get too sanctimonious just remember that many of those same fans gave previous Hibs teams fantastic backing when they needed it. What's going on just now is down to frustration. We are rightly proud to talk about TM's team but instead of building on it we had to watch the best of that talent being sold off. We have to go way back to the early seventies to find another squad worthy of being classed "great". When Turnbulls Tornadoes were no more many of us travelled week after week, year after year, home and away. Many of us remember going to Aberdeen to see us being humped 6 nil or Parkhead, Ibrox...........always we'd ask why do we bother but we would be there the following week roaring on the Hibees. Then along came Mowbray with an exciting young team. At last, reward for years of faithful support. Or so we thought!

So what's changed? A lot of fans are totally pissed off being taken for granted. We now pay more for less. Players today seem to think they are world class once they get into the squad. Theyre not. In fact many of them are very ordinary players indeed. I'm a big fan of Deeks but 30k a week in a country where vast numbers of its people have to survive on a few dollars a month just sums up how sick the modern game has become.

Fans are totally frustrated by what's going on nowadays. This pre-season is without doubt one of the worst I can recall. The years after we were relegated were more exciting than this one. A manager keen to go after 9 months and a team well short on resources. You couldnt make it up.

As fans we all want Hibs to grow. To challenge in Europe annually like we used to do. So what if we have a great big shiny new stadium. At the recent Hearts game it had THOUSANDS of empty seats. Our biggest game and we cant fill the stands. That speaks volumes.

Finally, to the original poster. The vast majority of us will support them evermore. Just dont get too sanctimonious though. I was in the lowest gate at ER of 1200 against Partick in 1980. Many of those on here of my age group weren't. Especially those who like to come over all pompous from time to time. :wink:

Good post JS :thumbsup:

Bit in bold - so was I so all we need now is for the other 1198 to own up :greengrin

Alfred E Newman
20-07-2011, 08:38 PM

Well said John.:agree:

RIP
20-07-2011, 09:37 PM

Remember John - the young team weren't Mowbray's recruits - they were youth academy brought through by Blobby

Are we too blind to see that we are now developing one of the youngest sqauds in the SPL. We have a dozen U23's in the first team pool. If we are patient I'm sure we will look back in a couple of years and thank the current board for sticking to a youth policy instead of flooding the team with filler

sahib
20-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Good post JS :thumbsup:

Bit in bold - so was I so all we need now is for the other 1198 to own up :greengrin

Yeah, O.K, but if you hadn't bought a season ticket you were no bloody use to anyone. Have you not read Mikey's posts on the subject?
You didnt get bored and lob that large lump of broken concrete terrace at me and my mate Steve during that game by any chance.

Jonnyboy
20-07-2011, 10:10 PM
Yeah, O.K, but if you hadn't bought a season ticket you were no bloody use to anyone. Have you not read Mikey's posts on the subject?
You didnt get bored and lob that large lump of broken concrete terrace at me and my mate Steve during that game by any chance.

Not guilty m'lud :greengrin

Only 1196 to go