PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts On Tonight's Game

brog
19-07-2011, 08:44 PM
As the match thread has turned into a playground fight I thought I'd start a new thread to allow some comments on actual game.
First I've seen them this season, watched on Falkirk TV, pretty good but they didn't know Hibs players & sometimes neither did I!! Apologies if I've got any names wrong but here's my initial thoughts.
The bad news
We still desperately need a keeper IMO, Mark Brown does not organise his defence & he gave no guidance to Taggart for corner that led to their goal. Did Stack come on? Didn't appear so.
Taggart & Stephens are nowhere near ready for SPL
GOC's 1st touch was reminiscent of Ally Scott in his heyday! To be fair he kept on going & improved in 2nd 1/2.
The 1st half & our non existent marking at corners.
Ivan continually turning inside apart from excellent cutback for Thornhill, who should have scored.

The good news
Our young players, notably Booth, Hanlon, Scott Smith & Crawford in patches, I think he played whole 90 mins.
O'Hanlon - reminded me of John Madsen in appearance, if he's half as good a player he'll be fine!
The attitude, 2nd half was fine, we must have had a dozen corners & scored from one with a training ground move!
Some good football 2nd half, notably the move where EDG should have scored - reminiscent of Fletch's first in LC final.

Overall, we finished on an up though some obvious areas for improvement.
GGTTH!

Gatecrasher
19-07-2011, 08:50 PM
a game of 2 halfs for me, we were awful in the 1st and played some good football and created plenty of chances in the 2nd. i would have liked to have seen our starting 11 at some point though

matty_f
19-07-2011, 08:55 PM
a game of 2 halfs for me, we were awful in the 1st and played some good football and created plenty of chances in the 2nd. i would have liked to have seen our starting 11 at some point though

That's been a couple of games now where the changes in the second half led to a much improved performance. Who do you think made the biggest difference?

jonty
19-07-2011, 08:55 PM
That's been a couple of games now where the changes in the second half led to a much improved performance. Who do you think made the biggest difference?
The manager who made the changes :greengrin

SMAXXA
19-07-2011, 08:57 PM

:faf:

matty_f
19-07-2011, 08:58 PM

:hilarious

SanFranHibs
19-07-2011, 09:02 PM
We know our defense needs help and support but CC should not have said he 'wanted everyone to get behind our defense'. Be careful what you wish for.

I speak from experience. I went into my barbers last week and said 'I need my hair cut badly....' :redindian:

I obviously did not see the game but from what was 'reported' seems like we will still be very vulnerable at the back, especially from corners and free kicks. No ariel presence.

Seems the second half was better but was not when a couple of our 'starters' were taken off, which if is correct, is worrying.

I will have to defer to the Hibs fans who attended.

Looks like another long season ahead though.

Gatecrasher
19-07-2011, 09:02 PM

i'm not sure tbh :greengrin

i thought the team in general seemed to have a bit more urgency and direction in the play, where in the 1st it was slow and slack passing. O'Hanlon looks a threat from corners and booth and sproule had some decent run down the wing, Thornhill is going to be a major player in midfield

PC Stamp
19-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Hopefully we will start the real games with a line up that gives us that same improved performance without gifting the opposition a goal of a start.

matty_f
19-07-2011, 09:08 PM
What subs were made?

Also, when was the last time Mark Brown had a clean sheet in goals for Hibs?

brog
19-07-2011, 09:10 PM

Good question - I think main difference was attitude but certain personnel changes helped. Firstly H/O'H were much more assured at back than Stephens/Murray. IM went into midfield & did well, not so much from his actual play but his positional sense & cover allowed Calum more space down left. I think Paulsson moved to RB & that helped also. Some really good football but Falkirk tired also, they couldn't have kept up 1st half tempo. Steve Smith looked very assured at LB when he came on & EDG had some excellent touches though missed a great chance, as did Thornhill.

Sammy7nil
19-07-2011, 09:10 PM
What subs were made?

Hibs 0 Ayr 0

hibs0666
19-07-2011, 09:11 PM

Playing the first-choice defence.

Gatecrasher
19-07-2011, 09:12 PM
What subs were made?

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110719/falkirk-1-hibernian-1_2262950_2396556

(http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110719/falkirk-1-hibernian-1_2262950_2396556)Match Report :wink:

Broken Gnome
19-07-2011, 09:14 PM
Hibs 0 Ayr 0

Pittodrie in April. Probably made the best save from a Hibs keeper in years as well, so he earned it.

brog
19-07-2011, 09:15 PM
What subs were made?

Pretty sure H/O'H came on at h/t & IM moved into mid replacing Taggart & Stephens. Stevenson, who's probably the biggest disappointment ever to me also came off at h/t, tho it was hard to tell!
I lost track a bit but I think Galbraith & EDG were next on for Sproule & Thornhill??
Final subs were Smith, Horner & Scott for GOC, Booth & Murray.

Sorry if any errors, Falkirk tv did not identify all.

Westie1875
19-07-2011, 09:16 PM
What subs were made?

3-0 v Huns at Ibrox is the only one I can think of?

Stack is surely number 1 keeper whenever he is fit?

R'Albin
19-07-2011, 09:17 PM
Pittodrie in April. Probably made the best save from a Hibs keeper in years as well, so he earned it. :agree: and he made a stunning save at the end of the ayr one as well.

brog
19-07-2011, 09:22 PM
Pittodrie in April. Probably made the best save from a Hibs keeper in years as well, so he earned it.

He's a decent stopper though I thought he made a meal of several shots tonight, but he's poor on crosses & does not organise his defence. Their goal tonight was a perfect example, ball right across his 6 yard box with no Falkirk player within 10 yards & he didn't come for it nor did he give young Taggart any help.

Andy74
19-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Positives were Thornhill once he got going, O'Hanlon in the opposition box and I also thought De Graaf looked good when he came in. Sublime touch to play Wotherspoon in. Should have scored his one on one though but he does get in there.

Other than that, pretty dire. Murray awful, Taggart will want to forget his ten touches all of which went out the park and goodness knows what we've done with the Palsson guy that we had for a couple of games.

Ed De Gramo
19-07-2011, 09:27 PM
1st half was a shambles.....not one attempt on target.

Second half we came out firing on all cylinders.

Was impressed with EDG tonight. He covers a fair amount of pitch and was unlucky not to score on his one to one. Some clever one two's as well that almost set up the equaliser. Also have to note that he doesn't go up for corners allowing full backs to try and get in on the action. (an example was tonight where Scott Smith's corner ended up with Hanlon scoring).

Skanko79
19-07-2011, 09:31 PM
Were there any trialists involved?

R'Albin
19-07-2011, 09:33 PM
1st half was a shambles.....not one attempt on target.Second half we came out firing on all cylinders.Was impressed with EDG tonight. He covers a fair amount of pitch and was unlucky not to score on his one to one. Some clever one two's as well that almost set up the equaliser. Also have to note that he doesn't go up for corners allowing full backs to try and get in on the action. (an example was tonight where Sc ott Smith's corner ended up with Hanlon scoring). Good to hear :thumbsup: like the new name btw :greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
19-07-2011, 09:34 PM
1st half was a shambles.....not one attempt on target.

Second half we came out firing on all cylinders.

Was impressed with EDG tonight. He covers a fair amount of pitch and was unlucky not to score on his one to one. Some clever one two's as well that almost set up the equaliser. Also have to note that he doesn't go up for corners allowing full backs to try and get in on the action. (an example was tonight where Scott Smith's corner ended up with Hanlon scoring).

Agree with this...

O'Hanlon looks a threat in the opposition box also, so could score a few from set pieces.....

Ed De Gramo
19-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Agree with this...

O'Hanlon looks a threat in the opposition box also, so could score a few from set pieces.....

defo, not seen that much aerial threat at corners since the Jones era :boo hoo:

Ed De Gramo
19-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Good to hear :thumbsup: like the new name btw :greengrin

:greengrin :thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
19-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Agree with the general consensus on here.

The first half was shocking, I mean really, really bad from start to finish. We were sluggish and second best and I wished I hadn't bothered by the time it got to half time.

The second half was a different story. We had loads of chances, on top of the goal that we scored, and really should have won the game in the end.

I'm not familiar with a lot of the younger players so I may get this wrong, however I was impressed with David Crawford (I think, was he number 25 with the yellow boots? :dunno:)

There's still a lot to work on though and still quite a bit to worry about.

IMO David Stephens isn't ready for first team football yet and we need extra cover at CH in case O'Hanlon and Hanlon get injured/suspended.
We have no-one capable of playing at RB.
We badly need extra options up front.

Other than that, it turned out to be a better night than it had looked like being at half time.

We just need to hope for the best on Sunday.

Ed De Gramo
19-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Who was the Falkirk number 5?

Strong, commanding and basically won everything in the air....reminded me of Bamba :agree:

R'Albin
19-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Who was the Falkirk number 5?Strong, commanding and basically won everything in the air....reminded me of Bamba :agree: Wasn't there but was it Bennett ? Someone else was going on about him, scored I think?

Jonnyboy
19-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Positives were Thornhill once he got going, O'Hanlon in the opposition box and I also thought De Graaf looked good when he came in. Sublime touch to play Wotherspoon in. Should have scored his one on one though but he does get in there.

Other than that, pretty dire. Murray awful, Taggart will want to forget his ten touches all of which went out the park and goodness knows what we've done with the Palsson guy that we had for a couple of games.

Pretty much agree with that but would add that Booth was once again a shining star on a gloomy night.

We need a right back, a creative midfielder and another striker as if tonight proved anything it's that O'Connor needs and experienced partner up top.

Disco Dave
19-07-2011, 11:09 PM
Everyone keeps going on about a RB when I actually believe that is Wotherspoon's best position, get him back in there.

GreenPJ
19-07-2011, 11:22 PM
I think cc knows Stevens is not ready for first team yet but has been giving him decent game time so he can act as cover. I think whilst we need another ch we are prob looking to address 3 positions before a ch comes onto the radar.

CapitalHibs
19-07-2011, 11:28 PM
I think cc knows Stevens is not ready for first team yet but has been giving him decent game time so he can act as cover. I think whilst we need another ch we are prob looking to address 3 positions before a ch comes onto the radar.

I notice CC has been playing Stephens beside Murray - letting the auld heid talk the youngster through the game?

Billy
20-07-2011, 03:03 AM
Who was the Falkirk number 5?

Strong, commanding and basically won everything in the air....reminded me of Bamba :agree:

The Falkirk #5 is Rhys Bennett, a 19 year old who is with Bolton. He has been sent up for a season loan.

Iain G
20-07-2011, 04:53 AM
Sounds like Agogo isn't Anono and should interntional clearance come through in time will be Ayesyes for the weekend and there is on offer on the table for Sheridan so interesting to see if that one comes off. Add in a RB and we are nearly there then? :greengrin

Where was Scott tonight?? :confused:

PeeJay
20-07-2011, 04:56 AM
Sounds like Agogo isn't Anono and should interntional clearance come through in time will be Ayesyes for the weekend and there is on offer on the table for Sheridan so interesting to see if that one comes off. Add in a RB and we are nearly there then? :greengrin

He was one of the late substitutions.

dp00
20-07-2011, 07:04 AM

Scott was a late sub and made some good runs and got himself in a few good positions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barney McGrew
20-07-2011, 07:06 AM

:agree:

He seems to have an ability to lose his marker at set pieces.

Could be the value first goalscorer bet each week this season :greengrin

Golden Bear
20-07-2011, 07:29 AM
Plus points - Matt Thornhill and Callum Booth.

Negatives:- Too many to mention.

We need wholesale changes at the Club but the stark reality is that we probably can't afford to do what needs to be done.

dangermouse
20-07-2011, 07:37 AM
Agree he is not ready for the first team yet but on occasion he was calmness personified taking the ball off the defender near the box and making a pass. If he can get a bit more speed in his legs and cut out the silly mistakes he could turn out into a decent centre half.

I really felt for Taggart. His Mum and Dad must have been in the main stand judging by the number of times he put the ball in there. However, he has been given a taste of what it's like playing first team football so lets hope he grabs the bull by the horns and progresses.

PeeJay
20-07-2011, 07:47 AM
Was amazed to see that Falkirk - a team that was relegated - were able to split us open at will with crisp, fluid passing movements throughout the first half, while we stood off and watched - CC apparently unable to initiate any changes from the sidelines. They could have been 3 up at least. They seemed organised and everyone knew what to do, where to find a teammate, etc.; the little guy Higgenbotham" walzed through our "defence" at will and only his own greed spoiled several opportunities for the Bairns....

We had no game plan IMO, we looked like a bunch of guys that turn up at Leith Links for a kickaround. In the 1st half we were completely unable to string three passes together at any time. I see no improvement on the performances served up last season.

The 2nd half was a slight improvement; we stopped Falkirk playing and "created" a few chances of our own, but were still unable to stop Falkirk when they came back at us: better teams will do us some serious damage I fear. This team and the way it is setup (sic) will struggle badly this season - Not impressed by O'Connor's awful performance, and Sproule may well have run around a lot, but apart from one instance he achieved nothing. Saw nothing positive to take from this game at all. One does wonder what Calderwood actually does with them at East Mains?

Think Falkirk fans can look forward to a good season: on this showing we won't be anywhere near as fortunate.

IWasThere2016
20-07-2011, 07:55 AM
Plus points - Matt Thornhill and Callum Booth.

Negatives:- Too many to mention.

We need wholesale changes at the Club but the stark reality is that we probably can't afford to do what needs to be done.

A recurring theme already this season :agree:

Speedway
20-07-2011, 08:08 AM
Unfortunately, Taggart was murder.

Strong showings from EDG, Scott, Thornhill and Booth. Not seeing it from Palsson though.

pentlando
20-07-2011, 08:11 AM
Anyone know who the Falkirk number 10 was? Really impressed with him dropping back into midfield and driving at the back four, created loads of chances for them especially in the first half!

Cropley10
20-07-2011, 08:17 AM
.... the stark reality is that we probably can't afford to do what needs to be done.

This

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-07-2011, 08:22 AM
Based on that showing, Celtc could rip us apart with ease. Maybe only our pitch will save us from a tanking. The way that team played and with the players available, that was more like an end of season experiment, where you are looking for the gaps and assessing what you need to bring in. The fact that the window doesn't close for a coupple of weeks yet is irrelevant IMO. Just incredulous to think that if CC is asked on Sunday " is this going to be your normall starting 11?" an honest answer would need to be no, because three pivotal postions won't be filled for a while.

Aldo
20-07-2011, 08:26 AM
A recurring theme already this season :agree:

TQM

I saw enough of an unfit Thornhill last season to realise he was going to be a v good player for us.
We need to keep him fit cos if we do I think you will find this guy will win MOTM most weeks for us.

On the other hand we really do need a couple of CF's and hopefully CS will return in time for Sunday. GOC
needs someone to do the running for him and I think CS will be an excellent foil for him.

A few more players in the next few days will see us ok (I think(O and trying to be positive))

GG

Hamish
20-07-2011, 08:39 AM
First half was very poor last night, but its a friendly, a glorified training game where the manager tries different formations, in order, amongst other things, to assess his strongest starting 11.

We are not the only team to have had a less than auspicious pre season - eg a much vaunted 'new' St Mirren side lost 3-1 at Cowdenbeath, our neighbours lost there and at Livi, Aberdeen have been poor apparently.

Hamish
20-07-2011, 08:41 AM
Unfortunately, Taggart was murder.

Strong showings from EDG, Scott, Thornhill and Booth. Not seeing it from Palsson though.

That'll please a lot on here:rolleyes:

Speedway
20-07-2011, 08:47 AM
Based on that showing, Celtc could rip us apart with ease. Maybe only our pitch will save us from a tanking. The way that team played and with the players available, that was more like an end of season experiment, where you are looking for the gaps and assessing what you need to bring in. The fact that the window doesn't close for a coupple of weeks yet is irrelevant IMO. Just incredulous to think that if CC is asked on Sunday " is this going to be your normall starting 11?" an honest answer would need to be no, because three pivotal postions won't be filled for a while.

We've got six weeks until the window closes, not a couple.

That'll please a lot on here:rolleyes:

People have got to realise that CC has implemented a board agreed strategy. The strategy is 'We got nae dosh so let's clear out everyone and spend what money we have on a strong first 11 backed by kids.'

We've seen three games change once CC has put his strongest teams out in second halves after first half disasters from the not good enoughs and kids.

That's the way it's going to be. Our first 11 will be stronger than last year's and if we get injuries, the kids will have to fill in.

Frugal yet gambling folk ken whit's goin' oan

thebakerboy
20-07-2011, 09:07 AM
My thoughts well the 1st. half was one of the worst performances from a Hibs team I can remember in 60 years of watching them , no skill , no urgency , no desire , all in all it was putrid. I was not impressed by Sproule or O'Connor who both looked well past there best.It was better in the 2nd. half with O'Hanlon and Hanlon at the back and Murray in mid-field and obviously with a rocket up the backside from the manager a bit more urgency. We are definately in need of at least 2 strikers before Sunday because I am sorry GOC is not up to it and the young guy tried but thats it he is a young guy trying but also not ready yet. If we go out with the side that started on Sunday I reckon we will lose by about 6 goals , even if we go out with the improved 2nd half team keeping it below 3 will be a good result. Now I am usually a glass half full type as far as Hibs go but I am glad I shall be away and will miss the first 3 or 4 games of the season so hopefully by the time I get back the 1st team will be totally changed and we will be ready for the season ahead. PETRIE GET IT SORTED:grr::grr::furious:

R'Albin
20-07-2011, 09:09 AM
My thoughts well the 1st. half was one of the worst performances from a Hibs team I can remember in 60 years of watching them , no skill , no urgency , no desire , all in all it was putrid. I was not impressed by Sproule or O'Connor who both looked well past there best.It was better in the 2nd. half with O'Hanlon and Hanlon at the back and Murray in mid-field and obviously with a rocket up the backside from the manager a bit more urgency. We are definately in need of at least 2 strikers before Sunday because I am sorry GOC is not up to it and the young guy tried but thats it he is a young guy trying but also not ready yet. If we go out with the side that started on Sunday I reckon we will lose by about 6 goals , even if we go out with the improved 2nd half team keeping it below 3 will be a good result. Now I am usually a glass half full type as far as Hibs go but I am glad I shall be away and will miss the first 3 or 4 games of the season so hopefully by the time I get back the 1st team will be totally changed and we will be ready for the season ahead. PETRIE GET IT SORTED:grr::grr::furious:

Really?:wink:

marinello59
20-07-2011, 09:10 AM
First half was very poor last night, but its a friendly, a glorified training game where the manager tries different formations, in order, amongst other things, to assess his strongest starting 11.

We are not the only team to have had a less than auspicious pre season - eg a much vaunted 'new' St Mirren side lost 3-1 at Cowdenbeath, our neighbours lost there and at Livi, Aberdeen have been poor apparently.

Exactly.
Judge the team on Sunday when the tackles etc are flying in for real.

Albion Hibs
20-07-2011, 09:07 PM

Funny how there is always so much of a different opinion on games. I missed the match yesterday as I only got back from holiday this morning, but I met up with a couple of mates this morning who were at the game, both of which said the first half the midfield was pish, could not keep hold of the ball and as a result we got pinned back quite a bit. The goal was pretty much down to the keeper. The second half the midfield was changed around a bit and we had all of the ball and should have scored a few.