PDA

View Full Version : Sir Tom Farmer

KeithTheHibby
19-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Seen his name mentioned on another thread and got me thinking;

He has owned the club for over 20 years which is quite remarkable given the turnover of owners you see clubs going through these days.

I can only think of David Murray who may have owned Rangers longer - even then I think he sold the club then bought them back a couple of years later?

Anyway it made wonder why he doesn't put the club up for sale and be done with it? He won't make any money from the club, is hardly in attendance and is anything but vocal when it comes to all things Hibs.

Anyway, one for discussion....

Speedway
19-07-2011, 10:12 AM
Seen his name mentioned on another thread and got me thinking;

He has owned the club for over 20 years which is quite remarkable given the turnover of owners you see clubs going through these days.

I can only think of David Murray who may have owned Rangers longer - even then I think he sold the club then bought them back a couple of years later?

Anyway it made wonder why he doesn't put the club up for sale and be done with it? He won't make any money from the club, is hardly in attendance and is anything but vocal when it comes to all things Hibs.

Anyway, one for discussion....

He's been looking for a buyer for at least three years.

Stevie Reid
19-07-2011, 10:30 AM
I was going to describe STF's generosity since his purchase of the club as philanthropy, but truth is it is actually more like charity. Given his indifference with regards to football it would have been understandable for him to be much less generous than he has been, but he has transformed the club since his arrival. I will forever be grateful for him for saving us, but he has done a lot more than that.

The criticism of STF is quite similar to those who say that we were lucky that the Golden Generation came along when they did, that somehow the stars aligned in our favour and no one deserves any credit for the dramatic turnaround in our off the field fortunes since he took over. Yes, he bought Hibs for a fraction of what we are now worth, but the club is only worth what it is now because of STF and his influence. And, as has been pointed out elsewhere, regardless of the value on paper, Hibs are only worth what someone is prepared to pay.

offshorehibby
19-07-2011, 10:38 AM
I think STF has said he would sell to the right person/people but has also said he wont sell to anybody that he thinks will drag the club back into major debt or run the club into the ground.
I for one have been more than happy that STF is the man in charge.

HIBERNIAN-0762
19-07-2011, 10:41 AM
He will sell eventually but I think that may be quite a bit off yet especially in these uncertain days, that investment will be more than welcome as long as it's not some tin pot deluded commie pinko nutcase like someone I know, god forbid that ever to happen to us.

:wink:

Peevemor
19-07-2011, 11:01 AM
I remember reading that his grandkids are Hibs daft. Maybe the club will stay in the family? :dunno:

Cropley10
19-07-2011, 11:48 AM
I was going to describe STF's generosity since his purchase of the club as philanthropy, but truth is it is actually more like charity. Given his indifference with regards to football it would have been understandable for him to be much less generous than he has been, but he has transformed the club since his arrival. I will forever be grateful for him for saving us, but he has done a lot more than that.

The criticism of STF is quite similar to those who say that we were lucky that the Golden Generation came along when they did, that somehow the stars aligned in our favour and no one deserves any credit for the dramatic turnaround in our off the field fortunes since he took over. Yes, he bought Hibs for a fraction of what we are now worth, but the club is only worth what it is now because of STF and his influence. And, as has been pointed out elsewhere, regardless of the value on paper, Hibs are only worth what someone is prepared to pay.

So he bought Hibs for a fraction of what they're worth today but they're only worth today what someones prepared to pay?

Wrt the Golden Generation I don't think the debate is whether the Board did a good job, more whether that job was easier than the current one. Simply do we continue to heap praise on the Board for the job they did, or the job they are doing?

Stevie Reid
19-07-2011, 11:53 AM
So he bought Hibs for a fraction of what they're worth today but they're only worth today what someones prepared to pay?

Wrt the Golden Generation I don't think the debate is whether the Board did a good job, more whether that job was easier than the current one. Simply do we continue to heap praise on the Board for the job they did, or the job they are doing?

Yes. On paper we are worth a lot but that doesn't mean that someone would pay what we are worth if Hibs were for sale. My house is worth a certain amount, but if I put it up for sale tomorrow I may struggle to sell it for it's value - I would still much rather my house was worth what it is though, for a number of obvious reasons.

I've addressed your second point on the "How much do we pay in wages?" thread. But FWIW there is middle ground between "heaping praise" and some of the criticisms that are made of the board.

timebomb
19-07-2011, 12:03 PM
I'm not fishing or anything like that - my reason for asking is my friends a hibs fan and he's not at all a fan of Farmer and I was taken back by this as from the outside he seemed to have saved Hibs and got nothing back. He seemed to suggest that Farmer had made a pretty penny out of Hibs (possibly involving land deals from memory??)

What sort of investment has / does he make in Hibs?

Mikey
19-07-2011, 12:11 PM
I'm not fishing or anything like that - my reason for asking is my friends a hibs fan and he's not at all a fan of Farmer and I was taken back by this as from the outside he seemed to have saved Hibs and got nothing back. He seemed to suggest that Farmer had made a pretty penny out of Hibs (possibly involving land deals from memory??)

What sort of investment has / does he make in Hibs?

If you read this thread........

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?135671-So-what-happened-to-the-money-from-the-car-park/page2

..from post 46 you'll see that STF funded the North and South stands at a cost to him of £5m and he hasn't had that money back yet.

He also made loans to the club when no-one else would and was paid back at base +1 or +2, I don't remember the exact figure. But he made less on that money than he would have it he'd kept it in the bank.

There are plenty out there who will tell you that he's made millions out of the club though.

timebomb
19-07-2011, 12:21 PM
If you read this thread........

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?135671-So-what-happened-to-the-money-from-the-car-park/page2

..from post 46 you'll see that STF funded the North and South stands at a cost to him of £5m and he hasn't had that money back yet.

He also made loans to the club when no-one else would and was paid back at base +1 or +2, I don't remember the exact figure. But he made less on that money than he would have it he'd kept it in the bank.

There are plenty out there who will tell you that he's made millions out of the club though.

Thanks for that - I'll have a read.

Higgy115
19-07-2011, 12:31 PM
I think it is quite well known that he is not really a football man, more a Leither, thus the reason for his involvement. I remember he got up and said a few words at the Hall of Fame dinner last year that certainly for me showed the passion he has for the club. I got the feeling he would still like to be around to see us lifting the Scottish Cup.........

easty
19-07-2011, 12:36 PM
I think it is quite well known that he is not really a football man, more a Leither, thus the reason for his involvement. I remember he got up and said a few words at the Hall of Fame dinner last year that certainly for me showed the passion he has for the club. I got the feeling he would still like to be around to see us lifting the Scottish Cup.........

We'd all like to be around to see that....but I'm 27 now and I've probably only got another 60 years (max) left. I'm not holding my breath. :greengrin

Speedway
19-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Can we please have it right that our golden generation were going to leave no matter what. The revenues at the club were insufficient to make an offer to these players that would make them even think about staying.

The board's job was not to keep the goldens together but to monetize them for the maximum return possible. The board did their job in that respect, very well indeed.

HIBERNIAN-0762
19-07-2011, 12:39 PM
I got the feeling he would still like to be around to see us lifting the Scottish Cup.........

:sofa:

:Ummm:

:pray:

:offski:

LeithBoozy
19-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Sir Tom and lets not foget the relation of his, who put plenty into Hibs in the distant past. So it would be fair to say, the Farmer family have saved us twice now. I feel Hibs could not be in safer hands,thanks to them we have a future for us and our grandkids, God bless them. :not worth

truehibernian
19-07-2011, 12:42 PM
I can't believe why anyone would want to seriously Sir Tom's stewardship/ownership of the club. In an age where chairmen/owners of football clubs seem more concerned about their ego and making stupid investments, paying inflated wages and taking clubs down the preverbial swanny, we have a man who very quietly, very gracefully, and with great humility, takes a back seat and lets others get on with taking the club forward, with minimal fuss and bother. I've never once read an interview or seen a quote directly from STF that he wants to sell, wants out, is fed up or indeed has no passion for Hibs. He is open and admits football was never his thing, yet he goes to many games, never ignores a fan (that I have seen) who wants a chat about the club, and is very very frank about what he sees Hibernian being.

I would take STF any day of the week, over a board/owners who were more interested in owning wine bars in the south of england, convicted fraudsters, asset strippers and having guys that looked like mario and luigi thank you very much :agree:

I genuinely think people really really don't fathom how close we were to not existing, and to question STF's input (and his continued input) for me is incomprehendable. We are also Hibernian FC.......not Barcelona. Some people need urgent reality checks too. When I grew up supporting Hibs, it certainly wasn't in the pursuit of glory :greengrin We were one of the worst teams around, yet my dad and my mates all loved them with a passion I hadn't seen in sport before as a youngster. Walking into Easter Road made my eyes roll and the atmosphere gripped me. I literally fell in love with Hibernian FC. Even when we lost, which was very regularly, I looked forward to going again, and as I got older it was more of a social gathering and catch up with a wee bit football included if we were lucky. When I read folk questioning salaries, demanding the board speculate, demanding certain players sign and get paid over the odds, I honestly have a wee chuckle to myself. Jeez, I would support Hibs even if we dropped into the East of Scotland Leagues. People need to support the club, go along and see them, pay their hard earned money (if they can of course), before they make any 'demands' on the club.

If people really want to support the club, if you can, and if you have the cash, get along to watch the lads against Celtic. Far far too much gloom around the place. Get back into it and really get behind them. If we win, magic, the week ahead is a joy. If we lose we head to the pub and have a beer to commiserate. But for me, I always feel great that I was there in the first place :agree:

Mon Dieu4
19-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Is anyone else getting the advert at the top of this page that says "If you die unexpectedly, could your loved ones afford the bills"? do they know something we dont :faf:

Speedway
19-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Sir Tom must be out to the tune of £10-20m of his own brass thanks to Hibs. The other shareholder only gets a wage.

Show me another owner that's willing to keep this up indefninitely and can afford to do so without any personal gain in the short to mid term.

greenlex
19-07-2011, 02:36 PM
I keep seeing that STF isnt a football fan . He is at ER more than a lot of posters on here.

silverhibee
19-07-2011, 03:16 PM
I keep seeing that STF isnt a football fan . He is at ER more than a lot of posters on here.

:tee hee:

Rougier45
19-07-2011, 03:26 PM
What are we
worth now ?

Kaiser1962
19-07-2011, 03:32 PM
What are we
worth now ?

Less than people imagine. Rangers just changed hands for £1 and I suspect Mr. White thinks he was done:greengrin

Geo_1875
19-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Less than people imagine. Rangers just changed hands for £1 and I suspect Mr. White thinks he was done:greengrin

At the moment we are probably worth more than Rangers. However, they have a huge income stream from the neverending queue of bigots at the turnstiles and that is what the owners have bought.

Rougier45
19-07-2011, 04:04 PM
At the moment we are probably worth more than Rangers.

Brilliant worth more than rangers :don't give up your day job

Anybody speculate what we are worth ? 5million my guess

Woody1985
19-07-2011, 04:27 PM
5 million, the clubs assets are worth about four times that are they not?

Rougier45
19-07-2011, 04:28 PM
At the moment we are probably worth more than Rangers.

NYHibby
19-07-2011, 05:04 PM
We are not worth more than Rangers. Whyte took on the club's debt meaning the deal was worth significantly more than £1.

LeithBoozy
19-07-2011, 05:34 PM
When East-Mains was completed in 2008, it was valued at 6 million. By the end of the same year it had increased in value to 7 million, so what is it worth now?. Dont forget Hibs also have another 23 acres of land undeveloped at EM, with pressure on councils to release more land for house-building in the future, Hibs are sitting on a future goldmine. :wink:

basehibby
19-07-2011, 06:10 PM

That was because of their 30 odd million debts.

On that basis I wonder how much the Yams are worth - my guess would be about 35p

Geo_1875
19-07-2011, 06:15 PM

Our positive net worth makes us worth more than Rangers who are saddled with debt which far exceeds the value of their capital assets. They are bought and run to maximise income from the fanbase to offset running costs. Income from Europe is spent to guarantee their presence in Europe. It's a self- perpetuating cycle which is reliant on the goodwill of the financial institutions that hold their debt.

spike220
20-07-2011, 11:50 AM
I can't believe why anyone would want to seriously Sir Tom's stewardship/ownership of the club. In an age where chairmen/owners of football clubs seem more concerned about their ego and making stupid investments, paying inflated wages and taking clubs down the preverbial swanny, we have a man who very quietly, very gracefully, and with great humility, takes a back seat and lets others get on with taking the club forward, with minimal fuss and bother. I've never once read an interview or seen a quote directly from STF that he wants to sell, wants out, is fed up or indeed has no passion for Hibs. He is open and admits football was never his thing, yet he goes to many games, never ignores a fan (that I have seen) who wants a chat about the club, and is very very frank about what he sees Hibernian being.

I would take STF any day of the week, over a board/owners who were more interested in owning wine bars in the south of england, convicted fraudsters, asset strippers and having guys that looked like mario and luigi thank you very much :agree:

I genuinely think people really really don't fathom how close we were to not existing, and to question STF's input (and his continued input) for me is incomprehendable. We are also Hibernian FC.......not Barcelona. Some people need urgent reality checks too. When I grew up supporting Hibs, it certainly wasn't in the pursuit of glory :greengrin We were one of the worst teams around, yet my dad and my mates all loved them with a passion I hadn't seen in sport before as a youngster. Walking into Easter Road made my eyes roll and the atmosphere gripped me. I literally fell in love with Hibernian FC. Even when we lost, which was very regularly, I looked forward to going again, and as I got older it was more of a social gathering and catch up with a wee bit football included if we were lucky. When I read folk questioning salaries, demanding the board speculate, demanding certain players sign and get paid over the odds, I honestly have a wee chuckle to myself. Jeez, I would support Hibs even if we dropped into the East of Scotland Leagues. People need to support the club, go along and see them, pay their hard earned money (if they can of course), before they make any 'demands' on the club.

If people really want to support the club, if you can, and if you have the cash, get along to watch the lads against Celtic. Far far too much gloom around the place. Get back into it and really get behind them. If we win, magic, the week ahead is a joy. If we lose we head to the pub and have a beer to commiserate. But for me, I always feel great that I was there in the first place :agree:

Could not agree more
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NzPmtQTuVI

:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

Jack
20-07-2011, 12:06 PM

Agreed. My understanding is that while he maybe wasn’t a football fan before and maybe isn't now he certainly makes his presence known around the club and its more than just matchdays.

sahib
20-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Our positive net worth makes us worth more than Rangers who are saddled with debt which far exceeds the value of their capital assets. They are bought and run to maximise income from the fanbase to offset running costs. Income from Europe is spent to guarantee their presence in Europe. It's a self- perpetuating cycle which is reliant on the goodwill of the financial institutions that hold their debt.

Nice thought, but if you were looking to buy a club as a money making scheme, who would you buy? If the huns wriggle out of their current tax problems (big if) then their debt I would suspect would be small relative to income. What assets to we have left that Rangers don't ?

Geo_1875
20-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Nice thought, but if you were looking to buy a club as a money making scheme, who would you buy? If the huns wriggle out of their current tax problems (big if) then their debt I would suspect would be small relative to income. What assets to we have left that Rangers don't ?

If they were to put forward a business case to potential investors for additional borrowing and judged on a commercial basis they'd be laughed out of the building. They are maintained as an institution not as a business and as such have nothing to support there borrowings but the "loyalty" of their fanbase. The debt taken on by their new owner, not paid off, far exceeds the value of their capital assets. Not the case with Hibs at the moment.

Stevie Reid
20-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Agreed. My understanding is that while he maybe wasn’t a football fan before and maybe isn't now he certainly makes his presence known around the club and its more than just matchdays.

When I was at the fans forum meeting at ER in 2003 he made a very passionate speech during which he alluded to the fact that he was getting much more interested and passionate about Hibs and even joked that if he carried on at the same rate he would be in the dugout soon. Obviously his interest hasn't stretched that far but it's clearly a world away from when he was first persuaded to save us.

When we were on a tour of EM in 2008 he appeared and was happy to chat for a few minutes.

jdships
20-07-2011, 01:27 PM

Good question :thumbsup:

I can't think of one club in English Premiership/Championship /SPL where if you made a substantial cash investment you could guarantee
a "return on capital investment "
A salary - yes but commercial viability no.
It would require the sale of the club to recoup , possibly only some , the money invested

Looking at the overseas involvement in English clubs , 99% appear to be "playthings" for those splashing the cash
:rolleyes: