Speedway
19-07-2011, 08:03 AM
http://www.scotprem.com/content/default.asp?page=s2&newsid=10450

Who'll bat for us now?

johnrebus
19-07-2011, 08:11 AM
http://www.scotprem.com/content/default.asp?page=s2&newsid=10450

Who'll bat for us now?

Hopefully followed by his departure from Easter Road. Well past his sell by date.

Hopefully STF will now appoint someone to drive on the football side of the club.

After all, that is what we are.

frazeHFC
19-07-2011, 08:20 AM
I think it would negatively impact our club if he left. Not defending the board, but they have significantly raised the value of the club whilst keeping us financially healthy. But it is about results, and this is the only thing they are failing at.

Saorsa
19-07-2011, 08:23 AM
I think it would negatively impact our club if he left. Not defending the board, but they have significantly raised the value of the club whilst keeping us financially healthy. But it is about results, and this is the only thing they are failing at.Except that's the most important bit and the reason why crowds and income are continuing tae fall. Folk are getting fed up spending hundreds of pound on watching garbage. I agree with the poster above you.

Prawn Sandwich
19-07-2011, 08:23 AM
Hopefully followed by his departure from Easter Road. Well past his sell by date.

Hopefully STF will now appoint someone to drive on the football side of the club.

After all, that is what we are.

You obviously didn't watch "Dispatches" on Channel 4 last night. Thankfully Hibs is locally owned and fully transparent.

greenginger
19-07-2011, 08:35 AM
Did our Rod not just get elected to a Vice - President role at the S F A . I don't think a person can hold positions with SPL and SFA at the same time.

Rods going for the Top Blazer job. :thumbsup:

TrickyNicky
19-07-2011, 08:53 AM
Did our Rod not just get elected to a Vice - President role at the S F A . I don't think a person can hold positions with SPL and SFA at the same time.

Rods going for the Top Blazer job. :thumbsup:

Mmmm,beware the wolf in wolf's clothing!:wink:

Top Pans Hibby
19-07-2011, 08:56 AM
Hopefully Petrie will also leave Hibs as well. To be honest I'd also like to see Farmer give up his holding in Hibs.

I genuinely believe we need new ownership and new direction.

The apathy amongst Hibs supporters with less than week to a new season is unbelievable.

Their time is up I'm afraid.

:bye:

Liberal Hibby
19-07-2011, 09:05 AM
Hopefully Petrie will also leave Hibs as well. To be honest I'd also like to see Farmer give up his holding in Hibs.

The apathy amongst Hibs supporters with less than week to a new season is unbelievable.

Be careful what you wish for.

The only change of ownership I'd like to see is for fans through the supporters trust to take some or all of the shares.

NYHibby
19-07-2011, 09:07 AM
My guess is that the limited number of spots on the SPL board rotate between the clubs over time. He has been on for 8 years and it is his turn to come off. This is a non-story and people shouldn't try to read into it too much.

Elephant Stone
19-07-2011, 09:10 AM

And what kind of new ownership are you looking for?

Top Pans Hibby
19-07-2011, 09:12 AM

The only change of ownership I'd like to see is for fans through the supporters trust to take some or all of the shares.

Why? and that from someone called Liberal Hibby...I'll take my advice from elsewhere..

Liberal Hibby
19-07-2011, 09:14 AM
Why? and that from someone called Liberal Hibby...I'll take my advice from elsewhere..

Why - because there are plenty of business people (maybe from former Soviet republics) who would be happy to divest Farmer and Petrie of their stakes.

So what sort of new owner do you want?

Cocaine&Caviar
19-07-2011, 09:16 AM
Except that's the most important bit and the reason why crowds and income are continuing tae fall. Folk are getting fed up spending hundreds of pound on watching garbage. I agree with the poster above you.

But he has got us operating on a budget, for the squad that is more than competetive enough with our close rivals, Utd, Mwell and Aberdeen...

Top Pans Hibby
19-07-2011, 09:18 AM
And what kind of new ownership are you looking for?

Ownersip with vision.
Ownership with leadership
Ownership who are able to communicate with their customers i.e. the fans
Ownership with good PR
Ownership able to drive Hibs forward
Ownership who are able to drive Scottish footbal forward
Ownership who don't do a magnificant impression of the invisible man

NYHibby
19-07-2011, 09:21 AM

Ditto, but for a different reason.

Given some of the posts here, supporters owning the club could be quite scary. It is clear most football supporters don’t have the economic grounding needed to run the club. The current management may not be aggressive enough in some ways, but at least they aren't trying some of the poorly thought out ideas that people post here to try to raise attendance/revenue. From a business standpoint, they are doing much better than an average bunch of supporters could do.

marinello59
19-07-2011, 09:21 AM
Ownersip with vision.
Ownership with good PR

So basically we need an owner who is a media savvy gob*****. :greengrin

Elephant Stone
19-07-2011, 09:22 AM
Ownersip with vision.
Ownership with good PR

Apart from cliches?

Liberal Hibby
19-07-2011, 09:24 AM
Ditto, but for a different reason.

Given some of the posts here, supporters owning the club could be quite scary. It is clear most football supporters don’t have the economic grounding needed to run the club. The current management may not be aggressive enough in some ways, but at least they aren't trying some of the poorly thought out ideas that people post here to try to raise attendance/revenue. From a business standpoint, they are doing much better than an average bunch of supporters could do.

However, I think that once supporters actually get a bit of influence they are in a much better position to realise the constraints the club operates under.

It certainly hasn't harmed AFC Wimbledon or Swansea City for example.

Top Pans Hibby
19-07-2011, 09:31 AM
Apart from cliches?

Dear oh dear oh dear :rolleyes:

RIP
19-07-2011, 09:35 AM
Ownersip with vision.
Ownership with good PR

A lot of that is management - not ownership. Sir Tom doesn't need to do any of that - he has Rod, Fife, Scott and co doing those things - no?

Elephant Stone
19-07-2011, 09:37 AM
Dear oh dear oh dear :rolleyes:

Something wrong?

You've listed a lot of buzz words and nice sounding things which nobody can deny that they would want for Hibs, you've forgotten to mention how this new owner might do any of it or how on earth we find him.

IWasThere2016
19-07-2011, 09:40 AM
A lot of that is management - not ownership. Sir Tom doesn't need to do any of that - he has Rod, Fife, Scott and co doing those things - no?

STF has them .. are they doing it though?

Liberal Hibby
19-07-2011, 09:41 AM
Ownersip with vision.
Ownership with good PR

Mr Romanov ticks most of those boxes.

Top Pans Hibby
19-07-2011, 09:42 AM

Oh sorry I'm mistaken. Petrie et al are making such a great job of things......

Their communication and rapport with the supporters is simply magnificent and surely an example for all clubs to follow......:wink:

I genuinely think Farmer has taken us as far as he can...in my humble opinion.....

IWasThere2016
19-07-2011, 09:42 AM

Really?!?! :confused:

Top Pans Hibby
19-07-2011, 09:43 AM

If you want to talk about Hearts go on Kickback.

I don't. Not interested never will be.

NYHibby
19-07-2011, 09:46 AM
However, I think that once supporters actually get a bit of influence they are in a much better position to realise the constraints the club operates under.

It certainly hasn't harmed AFC Wimbledon or Swansea City for example.

AFC Wimbledon is an entirely different situation than us and isn’t really comparable.

I’m not familiar with Swansea, but a quick google shows they only own 20%.

A supporter’s trust owning a minority stake in Hibs isn’t going to give them any more influence in the club. In privately held companies where one party has a controlling stake, minority owners are powerless. Unless STF agreed to allow the proceedings
of board meetings to be made public (a bad idea), we wouldn’t be in a different situation than we are now.

Liberal Hibby
19-07-2011, 09:47 AM
Really?!?! :confused:

Yup. He has:

Vision.
Leadership
Ability to communicate with their customers i.e. the fans
A PR machine
Drove Hearts forward to 2nd
Doesn't do a magnificant impression of the invisible man

As Elephant Stone says - it's about how you do it - not that you do it at all. And at the moment there is a clear vision from the board about how the club acts and develops.

You may not like it, but it is there.

Liberal Hibby
19-07-2011, 09:49 AM

Good. But you haven't answered anyone's queries about what these new owners should do in anything more than platitudes.

So who should take over and what should their vision and strategy be?

Elephant Stone
19-07-2011, 09:50 AM

Looks to me like he was led to Romanov by your super new criteria, not out of wanting to.

NYHibby
19-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Yup. He has:

Vision.
Leadership
Ability to communicate with their customers i.e. the fans
A PR machine
Drove Hearts forward to 2nd
Doesn't do a magnificant impression of the invisible man

As Elephant Stone says - it's about how you do it - not that you do it at all. And at the moment there is a clear vision from the board about how the club acts and develops.

If I didn't know better, I'd say Mark Cuban was using you as a front to buy Hibs.

Liberal Hibby
19-07-2011, 09:55 AM
AFC Wimbledon is an entirely different situation than us and isn’t really comparable.

I’m not familiar with Swansea, but a quick google shows they only own 20%.

A supporter’s trust owning a minority stake in Hibs isn’t going to give them any more influence in the club. In privately held companies where one party has a controlling stake, minority owners are powerless. Unless STF agreed to allow the proceedings
of board meetings to be made public (a bad idea), we wouldn’t be in a different situation than we are now.

It's a fair point, but I think a powerful and articulate fans' interest will always add value to the deliberations of the board. For example Swansea have a section at their new stadium which is a mix of season tickets and pay at the gate where all the seats are unallocated - so you can bring your mates and sit next to them.

It's also a back stop against any owner who doesn't have the interest of the club at heart.

Top Pans Hibby
19-07-2011, 09:55 AM
And at the moment there is a clear vision from the board about how the club acts and develops.

You may not like it, but it is there.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but there is absolutely NO clear vison from the board.

That is why our supporters are NOT happy people.

Iain G
19-07-2011, 10:05 AM
And at the moment there is a clear vision from the board about how the club acts and develops.

That is why our supporters are NOT happy people.[/QUOTE]

What would you like the board to come out and say then that they haven't already said or done?

Kato
19-07-2011, 10:07 AM

That is why our supporters are NOT happy people.

Correct.

The vision concerning our prime concern, a footballing team, has been a shambles for 2 or 3 years.

The last 18 months has seen the worst thing possible set in for many fans, indifference.

If the current board don't address that matter very quickly those fans and their kids will be lost forever.

Iain G
19-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Correct.

The vision concerning our prime concern, a footballing team, has been a shambles for 2 or 3 years.

The last 18 months has seen the worst thing possible set in for many fans, indifference.

If the current board don't address that matter very quickly those fans and their kids will be lost forever.

Again, what would you like the club to do to adress the issue??

Kato
19-07-2011, 10:21 AM
Again, what would you like the club to do to adress the issue??

Thier jobs.

Iain G
19-07-2011, 10:34 AM
Thier jobs.

You think they aren't doing their best for the club then?

Speedway
19-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Good. But you haven't answered anyone's queries about what these new owners should do in anything more than platitudes.

So who should take over and what should their vision and strategy be?

For things to...errr...happen and for people to be....errrrmmm told and for other things to be....well......good...and....stuff.

new malkyhib
19-07-2011, 12:57 PM

They're doing what everybody else at Easter Road does - what Petrie tells them to do.

Brebners Bookie
19-07-2011, 01:42 PM

Most idiotic thing i've ever read on this forum

oregonhibby
19-07-2011, 01:50 PM
I also think (AFC) Wimbledon went from winning the FA cup to ruin in quick time - maybe I am wrong?

Kaiser1962
19-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Ownersip with vision.
Ownership with good PR

Go for it! You seem like the man. Just return the £m's STF is out of pocket and you can push on with your plan!

I'm right behind you!

Beefster
19-07-2011, 01:55 PM

I don't know too much about supporters trusts but is there any examples of them being a success in leading a club (i.e. on the pitch and financially)?

I've always assumed that trusts start out with good intentions and 'one for all, all for one' attitudes before becoming the same as any other board.

Kaiser1962
19-07-2011, 01:59 PM
I don't know too much about supporters trusts but is there any examples of them being a success in leading a club (i.e. on the pitch and financially)?

I've always assumed that trusts start out with good intentions and 'one for all, all for one' attitudes before becoming the same as any other board.

Your probably right but we cant even agree on the shade of green on the new East stand :smilie:

PaulSmith
19-07-2011, 02:04 PM
I'd like to thank Rod Petrie for his efforts and the way that club has been run over the last 10 years but I also feel no shame in thinking that now is the time for Hibernian to reap the benefits of a new man at the helm who can better connect with the customers, press, agents and players for the benefit of the football team.

_hucks_
19-07-2011, 02:27 PM
I also think (AFC) Wimbledon went from winning the FA cup to ruin in quick time - maybe I am wrong? They've only been fan owned since they went to ruin.

Stevie Reid
19-07-2011, 02:40 PM
I'd like to thank Rod Petrie for his efforts and the way that club has been run over the last 10 years but I also feel no shame in thinking that now is the time for Hibernian to reap the benefits of a new man at the helm who can better connect with the customers, press, agents and players for the benefit of the football team.

Who in Rod's position at other SPL clubs deals with the media better than him?

Peter Lawell and John Reid at Celtic with their referee paranoia, forcing a referee to resign and prompting a referee's strike?

Martin Bain at Rangers refusing to hammer their supporters' sectarian actions?

Romanov and Fedotovas at Hearts who have shamefully dealt with the CT scandal and released crazy press releases?

Steven Thompson at Dundee Utd telling all and sundry that they're skint?

John Boyle at Motherwell who managed to lead them into administration and recently had a square go with Craig Brown?

Stewart Milne and Willie Miller at Aberdeen who are hugely unpopular with the supporters?

The Killie chairmen who their supporters hate?

RP recently made a very firm statement regarding Calderwood which went down very well with many on here - what else should he be doing? And what do you mean by connecting better with agents?

madabouthibs
19-07-2011, 02:41 PM
This is comical! We all know what happens when some mickey mouse numpty comes along with a wad and decides he wants to buyt a football club. It ends in tears. We've been there before, there's loads of clubs there now and they'll never get out of it. There's a few unrealistic dreamers on here likes!

PaulSmith
19-07-2011, 03:35 PM
This is comical! We all know what happens when some mickey mouse numpty comes along with a wad and decides he wants to buyt a football club. It ends in tears. We've been there before, there's loads of clubs there now and they'll never get out of it. There's a few unrealistic dreamers on here likes!

And I suppose there is no alternative to Rod, none whatsoever other than someone who will ruin the club. Sounds a little fair fetched to me.

marinello59
19-07-2011, 03:39 PM
And I suppose there is no alternative to Rod, none whatsoever other than someone who will ruin the club. Sounds a little fair fetched to me.

No employee at the club is irreplaceable, that includes Mr Petrie.
I think madabout was talking about the owner though.

madabouthibs
19-07-2011, 05:12 PM
There is no recipe for long term success other than for us to keep operating within our means. We speculated during the McLeish era, and accumulated very little. Yes, a new owner might tip 5 or 10 million into the coffers for a couple of seasons, but if it didn't bring success and fill ER once a fortnight then it becomes a bit disasterous, and we spend the next 20 years moaning about cost cutting. All we need right now is a good manager.

FranckSuzy
19-07-2011, 05:58 PM
Who in Rod's position at other SPL clubs deals with the media better than him?

Peter Lawell and John Reid at Celtic with their referee paranoia, forcing a referee to resign and prompting a referee's strike?

Martin Bain at Rangers refusing to hammer their supporters' sectarian actions?

Romanov and Fedotovas at Hearts who have shamefully dealt with the CT scandal and released crazy press releases?

Steven Thompson at Dundee Utd telling all and sundry that they're skint?

John Boyle at Motherwell who managed to lead them into administration and recently had a square go with Craig Brown?

Stewart Milne and Willie Miller at Aberdeen who are hugely unpopular with the supporters?

The Killie chairmen who their supporters hate?

RP recently made a very firm statement regarding Calderwood which went down very well with many on here - what else should he be doing? And what do you mean by connecting better with agents?

Great post :top marksbut far too realistic/positive :greengrin

ian cruise
19-07-2011, 06:25 PM
I'm sure Bryan Robson and his pals are looking to buy a club, and they can get us into the premiership, That'd show the old firm :greengrin

Iain G
20-07-2011, 11:56 AM
And what do you mean by connecting better with agents?

I'm hoping it's to do with Rod's known habit of pulling on a pair of extra large boxing gloves and jabbing at agents until they agree to contracts, what the previous poster is hoping is that Rod will connect better with their cranium and knock them into submission on Cillian Sheridan's new contract offer of 500 pounds a week and a choice of one of two opened but unsampled bags of sweeties he found in the managers office...

Kato
20-07-2011, 12:42 PM

You will notice I talked about the last 2 or 3 years.

When the brought Mixu in, no I didn't think they were doing their best for the club. They were bowing to fan pressure to an extent and going for the cheap option.

Again when the brought Hughes to the club no, I didn't think they were doing their best - with his employment in particular I thought it would be disasterous, but not as bad as it turned out to be, what with him infecting the support with indifference, something I haven't seen since the early 80s).

Both those managers require brains on the park as there is none in the dug-out when they occupy them.

ancient hibee
20-07-2011, 04:17 PM
Would this guy Mixu (nae brains)have any connection to someone at Kilmarnock voted Manager of the Year?

Kato
20-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Would this guy Mixu (nae brains)have any connection to someone at Kilmarnock voted Manager of the Year?

Aye - brains are on the park with him.

Voted MoTY by whom, the Scottish Press?

spike220
21-07-2011, 10:46 AM
non story