PDA

View Full Version : 5 days till our first game of the new season

Hibs7
19-07-2011, 07:45 AM
And here we are with 1 recognised striker, Sheridan would have and should have been a good addition, but as usual we hear nothing from Hibs just a lot of speculation in the papers, a great way to get the fans on board ..... NOT.!
The Hibs PR dept is a waste of time, I am sick of the way this last 6 months had been handled by Hibs, really real p1ssed off with them now.

Cropley10
19-07-2011, 08:00 AM
And here we are with 1 recognised striker, Sheridan would have and should have been a good addition, but as usual we hear nothing from Hibs just a lot of speculation in the papers, a great way to get the fans on board ..... NOT.!
The Hibs PR dept is a waste of time, I am sick of the way this last 6 months had been handled by Hibs, really real p1ssed off with them now.

But we offered him £1,400 per week!:confused:

If this is all we can afford what else are we supposed to do?

You do know that turnover is down and we're already at a dangerously high 68% wages to t/o ratio.

Cabbage1875
19-07-2011, 08:10 AM

I can't make up my mind whether your tongue is in your cheek or not but in an answer to your last poser I would think 'struggle in the relegation zone again' would be an accurate assumption.

'Worried' doesn't quite cut it at the moment. I know it won't be popular on here and I will be accused of knickers wetting or whatever but anyway...

How we can possibly go into a new spl season with one fit striker and Michael Hart beggars belief.

Speedway
19-07-2011, 08:11 AM

When fans don't show up, where do you think the money comes from for players?

Do you realise that the 19 we've released and the 7 we've signed only serves to bring the wage budget back to what it should be not create acres of space to sign a million players?

What would you have PR do in this scenario?

Cropley10
19-07-2011, 08:12 AM
I can't make up my mind whether your tongue is in your cheek or not but in an answer to your last poser I would think 'struggle in the relegation zone again' would be an accurate assumption.

'Worried' doesn't quite cut it at the moment. I know it won't be popular on here and I will be accused of knickers wetting or whatever but anyway...

How we can possibly go into a new spl season with one fit striker and Michael Hart beggars belief.

My reply was in the style of a vociferous minority on here who are able to explain every single thing we do with simple logic...

I share your fears.

TornadoHibby
19-07-2011, 08:13 AM

You do know that turnover is down and we're already at a dangerously high 68% wages to t/o ratio.

Problem is that the "recent" downturn in Hibs playing standards in terms of consistency through a season started before Mixu arrived and has been allowed to slide to the point where we deservedly finished where we finished last season in the SPL. :confused:

In business, a failure to reverse such a trend quickly can be fatal and, at best, can condemn that business to operating at the lower level that it finds itself at following the "slump". Hibs need to generate new income quickly to recover and that may involve borrowing, maybe even from shareholders (STF), in the short term until that additional income is received. However, the product on the pitch is the key factor in all of this as that is why we all turn up week after week all over the country during the football season to watch and support our team! Without quality of product (incl effort, determination to succeed and win matches week after week, superior fitness levels, evidence of competent quality coaching and a team playing as a team etc) the Club's ability to generate that additional income will be difficult to say the least IMO!

Hibs7
19-07-2011, 08:18 AM

Do you realise that the 19 we've released and the 7 we've signed only serves to bring the wage budget back to what it should be not create acres of space to sign a million players?

A direct statement on the Sheridan situation would help, plus I am sure he could have been signed without breaking the bank, and even an extra 100 season tickets sold because of his signing would make up the extra needed to get his signature.

Speedway
19-07-2011, 08:22 AM
A direct statement on the Sheridan situation would help, plus I am sure he could have been signed without breaking the bank, and even an extra 100 season tickets sold because of his signing would make up the extra needed to get his signature.

Go on then:

How do you know Hibs are not still in for Sheridan and therefore maintaining the policy of saying nothing until a deal is concluded?

How do you know he can be signed without breaking the bank, espcially if we've already made our top offer?

How do you know even 10 STs would be sold on his signing that would not have been sold otherwise?

we are hibs
19-07-2011, 08:23 AM

but when we do they still dont spend the money when was the last time we bought a player for over £100,000 was it not stokes or something like that. where did the 4.4 m go for brown ? where did the 2m go for whittaker where did the 1.2 m go for stokes ect, did it go towards the new stand when we should have been buying players its all questions,questions and more questions

Andy74
19-07-2011, 08:24 AM

Hibs are still working on it. A bit daft to expect the club to comment on ongoing negotiatations or to comment on figures plucked out the air by people who know next to nothing about the situation.

Speedway
19-07-2011, 08:28 AM
but when we do they still dont spend the money when was the last time we bought a player for over £100,000 was it not stokes or something like that. where did the 4.4 m go for brown ? where did the 2m go for whittaker where did the 1.2 m go for stokes ect, did it go towards the new stand when we should have been buying players its all questions,questions and more questions

1. East Mains
2. Debt + O'Brien and Makalamby
3. East Stand

Hibs7
19-07-2011, 08:29 AM
Hibs are still working on it. A bit daft to expect the club to comment on ongoing negotiatations or to comment on figures plucked out the air by people who know next to nothing about the situation.

Well that is all they have to say, "we are still in negotiations" that would clear up all the paper speculation.
Speedway.. I could not guarantee an additional 100 season tickets but rest assured there won't be any additional sales if we stay as we are. Break the bank, I don't think so considering the number of players released and those brought in,

Thomson1875
19-07-2011, 08:31 AM
Won't lie but im like a child at christmas time, booked an early flight home 4 days early as i can't wait for this. Hibs may be pretty confusing the now but end of the day thick and thin. Only so much some can take but i hope many of you guys are sticking through it.

Hibernian Fc - The best thing that ever happened to my weekend FACT.

:flag::flag::flag:

marinello59
19-07-2011, 08:32 AM

Petrie's mask slips!

Saorsa
19-07-2011, 08:34 AM

What would you have PR do in this scenario?Ah, it's the fans again. Maybe they're just getting fed up from years of showing up and spending hundreds and getting garbage in return. This board and this board alone are responsible for where we find ourselves now, they are the ones running the club and they are the ones failing miserably on the one thing that will make the fans turn up. They may have built stands and a training center but it's on their watch the product on the park that the fans are expected tae pay for has sunk tae a level where fewer and fewer people want tae buy it.

Steve20
19-07-2011, 08:34 AM
We are still at least 2 or 3 players away from being a team that could make the top six. 9th or 10th this season with the team the way it is.

Speedway
19-07-2011, 08:37 AM
Well that is all they have to say, "we are still in negotiations" that would clear up all the paper speculation.
Speedway.. I could not guarantee an additional 100 season tickets but rest assured there won't be any additional sales if we stay as we are. Break the bank, I don't think so considering the number of players released and those brought in,

But that's what I just said. Let's go over it again.

Wages at 68% at start of last season. Club wants and aims for 60%. Two ways of doing that, more income or lower net wages. We get horsed out of the cups and just about stay in the league. Bye bye higher income. Therefore, lower wages becomes the only option. We release 19 but a lot of those were kids and low earners (Currie, Moyes, Flynn, McCann, Thicot, Trackys) and loans (Grounds, Duffy) so not huge savings made. Plus we pick up Eddie's wages again now that Excelsior aren't contributing towards them.

Nevertheless we bring in players from Liverpool, Notts Forest and Charlton alongside O'hanlon, Sproule and O'Connor. We also pay for Divis (low wage) and Towell, Vaz Te, Scott etc.

Still trying to keep the 60% wages to turnover ratio on a substantially reduced income.

Sheridan is on upwards of £10k a week. We've made him an offer. It's not enough. I'd say signing him therefore would very much equal 'breaking the bank'

Number of players released and brought in is not the issue. Value of wages gone and value of wages brought in vs target of 60% is the issue.

Hibs7
19-07-2011, 08:45 AM
I can understand all that, but the other side of the coin is that we have also released high earners, plus would operating at 68% for a season or so, be so bad if we had a decent team on the park which finished in the top 6 and got to the latter stages of the cup competitions, I am sure this would result in bigger crowds at ER hence the ratio would fall, I know there are no guarantees of what I said happening but, I think just now a calculated small risk could well be worth it.

Cropley10
19-07-2011, 08:50 AM
We are still at least 2 or 3 players away from being a team that could make the top six. 9th or 10th this season with the team the way it is.

But, with a decent chance of getting back to that 60 odd % wages to turnover ratio, which gives us an outside ​chance of making a profit, for the 6th year in a row!

Speedway
19-07-2011, 08:51 AM
I can understand all that, but the other side of the coin is that we have also released high earners, plus would operating at 68% for a season or so, be so bad if we had a decent team on the park which finished in the top 6 and got to the latter stages of the cup competitions, I am sure this would result in bigger crowds at ER hence the ratio would fall, I know there are no guarantees of what I said happening but, I think just now a calculated small risk could well be worth it.

Well no not really. I'm guessing your big earners would be Riordan and Miller whom we now have GOC and Ivan in place of so not sure where your savings are there.

It was also 68% of LAST year's turnover. This year's is forecasted to be lower so we'd be going at something like 75%+ this season on that basis. Yes, that's too much, yes that's breaking the bank, yes that's yammish, yes that's a big risk, yes that's irresponsible of the club's custodians to sanction.

Hibs7
19-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Cropley10........ cynical but probably not far off the mark.

Hibs7
19-07-2011, 09:10 AM
Well no not really. I'm guessing your big earners would be Riordan and Miller whom we now have GOC and Ivan in place of so not sure where your savings are there.

It was also 68% of LAST year's turnover. This year's is forecasted to be lower so we'd be going at something like 75%+ this season on that basis. Yes, that's too much, yes that's breaking the bank, yes that's yammish, yes that's a big risk, yes that's irresponsible of the club's custodians to sanction.
We are both just speculating as neither of us know the exact figures.
I would totally agree with you of it was 75% or more, but I don't think it will be, not many win bonuses last season.

RIP
19-07-2011, 09:15 AM
We have signed 8 players in 7 months to go directly into our first team

You have to assume that Akpo and Garry are strikers but that we are hoping for at least 50% of our goals to come from other areas of the park.

I'm getting really fed up with all this pathetic whinging, however understandable it may be. It does nobody any good - just makes us feel crap.

The time has come to stop moaning and start getting behind the players that wear the green

matty_f
19-07-2011, 09:20 AM

Are you vociferously explaining something with simple logic here?

IWasThere2016
19-07-2011, 09:29 AM

Chicken and egg is it not? IMHO, years of poor replacements for the Golden Generation have taken its toll on the support. Said it before, and will say it again, RP will need to blink first this time and brings players in to stimulate STs and walk-ups. If he doesn't the fans won't show up. It is that simple IMHO.

Speedway
19-07-2011, 09:42 AM

The point remains that 'breaking the bank' isn't an option.

Cropley10
19-07-2011, 09:51 AM
The point remains that 'breaking the bank' isn't an option.

Sorry, I hear or read this phrase alot - what do you mean by 'breaking the bank'?

Cabbage1875
19-07-2011, 10:46 AM
My reply was in the style of a vociferous minority on here who are able to explain every single thing we do with simple logic...

I share your fears.

I thought as much, my sincere apologies. I thought I had agreed with your recent comments about our situation. Grim.

Spike Mandela
19-07-2011, 11:54 AM

Don't remember reading this on the season tkt renewal blurb we got through the door. Maybe if that was on our marketing material people would have a more realistic outlook.

Funny that!

NAE NOOKIE
19-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Can only say what I see as they say:

Was at Berwick and cant say I was very impressed, we looked slow of thought and action, apart from Booth probably, who lets face it will be next to go if he continues in the direction he is going.

From what I have read from folk on here and in the papers, our efforts in the other pre season matches dont appear to have improved much from the Berwick match. Came up for the Barnsley game but obviously can only go on the result, which was poor considering we are further into pre season than them.

We have a manager who obviously would have been on the first coach out of Dodge if the Tache had been prepared to let him and will obviously bugger off the first chance he gets.

We have no transfer budget to speak of, which is fine, but the apparent lack of imagination when it comes to finding players is depressing ( what was the point of Sheridan if we could never meet his wages or, as it seems, persuade CSKA to release him on loan )

We are now 5 days from kick off with an untried kid and an out of shape last chance G O'C up front.

No right back, no settled defense, no ball player in midfield and it would seem no settled shape to the team.

I will be there through thick & thin next season, but the apparent balls up the club have made of this pre season gives me no confidence that it will be any better than last season.

I hate being this negative, but FFS Hibs, throw us a bloody bone !!!

GGTTH

:flag: