PDA

View Full Version : SPL Season Ticket Cost - Players wages

Sammy7nil
18-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Many posters on another thread are saying the can't get a ST due to high cost.

My question is why do SPL teams pay players so much when the quality on show is terrible?

Rangers and Celtic are still paying £20,000 a week to a couple of players Hearts around £8k?

Hibs have now shed the "top" earners but GOC, Sproule, Hart and Stack will all be on decent money.

The SPL cannot compete with England so why try? Who amongst us if we were good enough to play football would refuse that chance for a wage of between £40 - £100K a year? Everyone says a footballer has a short career well £40k is a good wage and the last I checked you can still work after you "retire" from playing.

If clubs paid realistc wages we would not be discussing ticket prices. It is all about supply and demand and in Scotland the demand is on a rapid decline.

marinello59
18-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Many posters on another thread are saying the can't get a ST due to high cost.

My question is why do SPL teams pay players so much when the quality on show is terrible?

Rangers and Celtic are still paying £20,000 a week to a couple of players Hearts around £8k?

Hibs have now shed the "top" earners but GOC, Sproule, Hart and Stack will all be on decent money.

The SPL cannot compete with England so why try? Who amongst us if we were good enough to play football would refuse that chance for a wage of between £40 - £100K a year? Everyone says a footballer has a short career well £40k is a good wage and the last I checked you can still work after you "retire" from playing.

If clubs paid realistc wages we would not be discussing ticket prices. It is all about supply and demand and in Scotland the demand is on a rapid decline.

Whether we like it or not the wages on offer down South make getting players of even limited ability to ply their trade up here expensive. We could of course say stuff it, pay much less and let standards fall even further. Is that what everybody wants or do we have ambitions to see standards rise?

Barney McGrew
18-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Who amongst us if we were good enough to play football would refuse that chance for a wage of between £40 - £100K a year?

Virtually every one of us if we could cross the border and earn multiples of it for doing the same job.

Big Frank
18-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Whether we like it or not the wages on offer down South make getting players of even limited ability to ply their trade up here expensive. We could of course say stuff it, pay much less and let standards fall even further. Is that what everybody wants or do we have ambitions to see standards rise?

No reason why the standards fall because you pay less. Paying a **** player £10,000 per week or £1,500 matters not a jot. He's still a **** player.

We could of course say stuff it, pay much less and let the young scottish talent come through.....

Saorsa
18-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Whether we like it or not the wages on offer down South make getting players of even limited ability to ply their trade up here expensive. We could of course say stuff it, pay much less and let standards fall even further. Is that what everybody wants or do we have ambitions to see standards rise?Rise! They are not rising though, it's as bad as it's ever been, the only thing that keeps rising is the price. For a CAT B game I'm paying almost 5x more than I was when I 1st paid an adult admission and for a CAT A game almost 6x. What I'm watching now insnae 5 or 6 times better, in fact what I watched last season was some of the worst I've seen in the 30 odd years I've been going yet it was the most expensive ever.

marinello59
18-07-2011, 06:47 PM
No reason why the standards fall because you pay less. Paying a **** player £10,000 per week or £1,500 matters not a jot. He's still a **** player.

We could of course say stuff it, pay much less and let the young scottish talent come through.....

That has to happen anyway but it is a balancing act isn't it? We would have to try and retain experienced players to help bring the young guys through wouldn't we?

marinello59
18-07-2011, 06:48 PM
Rise! They are not rising though, it's as bad as it's ever been, the only thing that keeps rising is the price. For a CAT B game I'm paying almost 5x more than I was when I 1st paid an adult admission and for a CAT A game almost 6x. What I'm watching now insnae 5 or 6 times better, in fact what I watched last season was some of the worst I've seen in the 30 odd years I've been going yet it was the most expensive ever.

And you never call for the club to spend more on the team to improve things?

Sammy7nil
18-07-2011, 07:13 PM

Would love to see standards rise but they have declined year on year for about 6 years now. I see no light at the end of the tunnel.

O'Hanlon and Sodje are our standard now not slating them I have not seen O'hanlon and I am sure he will be solid, Sodje has done okay but has very little skill his shooting has produced roars of laughter at ER. The English div's 1 and 2 are not a step up and we are struggling to compete with signing players of that standard. GOC and Sproule would never have signed if they did not have a Hibs connection and lacked a better offer.

It is time to have a COMPLETE overhaul of all Scottish football as the current product is dying on it's feet whilst still pretending we are a player when we are not.

Saorsa
18-07-2011, 07:23 PM
And you never call for the club to spend more on the team to improve things?I've never said we should spend more that we have, I have always disagreed with how the money we've had is and has been spent.

marinello59
18-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Would love to see standards rise but they have declined year on year for about 6 years now. I see no light at the end of the tunnel.

O'Hanlon and Sodje are our standard now not slating them I have not seen O'hanlon and I am sure he will be solid, Sodje has done okay but has very little skill his shooting has produced roars of laughter at ER. The English div's 1 and 2 are not a step up and we are struggling to compete with signing players of that standard. GOC and Sproule would never have signed if they did not have a Hibs connection and lacked a better offer.

It is time to have a COMPLETE overhaul of all Scottish football as the current product is dying on it's feet whilst still pretending we are a player when we are not.

I won't disagree with that.

Sammy7nil
18-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Just thought of a way to improve ST sales this may work.

Set the prices then say if 5000 ST's are sold the price comes down by £10
6000 £20 reduction
7000 £30 reduction
so on and so on
If we hit say 12000 we get £100 reduction, with a prorata reduction for concessions

This would encourage us all to make Hibby's return

chrisski33
18-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Since when has scottish football been good?

jabis
18-07-2011, 08:08 PM
I've never said we should spend more that we have, I have always disagreed with how the money we've had is and has been spent.

:agree:

Scouse Hibee
18-07-2011, 09:14 PM
Just thought of a way to improve ST sales this may work.

Set the prices then say if 5000 ST's are sold the price comes down by £10
6000 £20 reduction
7000 £30 reduction
so on and so on
If we hit say 12000 we get £100 reduction, with a prorata reduction for concessions

This would encourage us all to make Hibby's return

Love to see the business plan with projections for that idea!

Sammy7nil
18-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Love to see the business plan with projections for that idea!

It could work not on those figures I just pulled them out of the air but a plan like that could work

marinello59
18-07-2011, 09:28 PM
It could work not on those figures I just pulled them out of the air but a plan like that could work

I think there is a lower or non league club down South trying this or something very similar. Anybody know who it is and hows it is going for them?

Barney McGrew
18-07-2011, 09:28 PM

The best business plans are the ones where figures are pulled out of the air :agree:

Scouse Hibee
18-07-2011, 09:32 PM

The cynic in me thinks that as in other similar schemes the starting price would be set so as to offset the possibility of a reduced price later on.

Sammy7nil
18-07-2011, 09:33 PM
The best business plans are the ones where figures are pulled out of the air :agree:

:agree::agree::agree: