PDA

View Full Version : O'Hanlon Sproule and O'Conner

blackpoolhibs
18-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Thats it, 3 players. We have released how may, is it 16?

We will be saving quite a bit, i wont try and guess how much but we have got rid of all these players and are not now paying those wages.

I'd have thought we still have a few bob to pay in wages, is this right, or have i got the figures wrong?

smurf
18-07-2011, 01:59 PM
Of course the window doesn't 'slam' shut until the end of August...

KeithTheHibby
18-07-2011, 02:00 PM

We will be saving quite a bit, i wont try and guess how much but we have got rid of all these players and are not now paying those wages.

I'd have thought we still have a few bob to pay in wages, is this right, or have i got the figures wrong?

Perhaps however there is 6 weeks of the transfer window to go so what is your point?

Mikey
18-07-2011, 02:02 PM

Yep, that sounds about right. There will be some money left over for more signings.

That's probably why the manager has said it himself.

500miles
18-07-2011, 02:04 PM
At most we should be looking to sign two more players.

We've got a host of young players pushing to make the break through. Too many signings will only stifle what is the lifeblood of our club.

Don't get me wrong, we could sign some players that are older, and therefore more consistant than our youngsters, but the young players have greater potential than what we can realistically sign. They're more likely to hang about a bit as well - unlike your Stokes' and Millers.

Booth, Antell, Taggart, Stephens, Wotherspoon, Crawford, Handling and Welsh should all be establishing or introducing themselves this season. That's what the clearing of the deck this summer should have been all about.

PatHead
18-07-2011, 02:10 PM
Could have been worse. What if we had signed players like Kevin Kyle and Andy Webster who are always injured or Zander Diamond who is rubbish? I think we were linked to all of these and I must admit I was disappointed we missed out on 2 of them but now looks like a lucky escape.

If we managed to secure a couple of the players we have been linked with and perhaps have a quality rather than quantity outlook things could improve. (Not saying some of the "spare" salary money could have been spent on another O'Connor (O'@Connor) and we need additional signings)

Out of interest, who out of the 16 frees would you have wanted to keep? Most of us spent last season wanting rid of these imposters.

HibbyAndy
18-07-2011, 02:13 PM
Akin see big Garry rattlin hame 20 goals this season!! :thumbsup:

Jim44
18-07-2011, 02:16 PM

Disappointing for this stage, considering that one of them, O'Connor, was probably not one of the players on Calderwood's radar when he was signed. Given his circumstances, I think we are a welcome 'port in a storm' for O'Connor. I hope it works out for him, tho. Sproule's signing also seems a bit of a 'convenience' signing, given that he was out of favour down south and the attraction of a return to where it began for him probably seemed a good option. I hope it was for footballing reasons that he has returned and, again, I hope he is a success second time round. So that makes O'Hanlon our only signing without 'Hibs connections'. I really hope we haven't become the 'poisoned chalice' in the eyes of the numerous players looking for clubs. :dunno:

greenlex
18-07-2011, 02:17 PM
Although 16 left there were 5 or so brought in in January to stablise us and keep us up. If we can get 1 or 2 more we will be more than ok. If not it wont be the end of the world as the laddies will step up to the plate. Don't forget the budget will be far less with a drop in season ticket sales.

greenlex
18-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Disappointing for this stage, considering that one of them, O'Connor, was probably not one of the players on Calderwood's radar when he was signed. Given his circumstances, I think we are a welcome 'port in a storm' for O'Connor. I hope it works out for him, tho. Sproule's signing also seems a bit of a 'convenience' signing, given that he was out of favour down south and the attraction of a return to where it began for him probably seemed a good option. I hope it was for footballing reasons that he has returned and, again, I hope he is a success second time round. So that makes O'Hanlon our only signing without 'Hibs connections'. I really hope we haven't become the 'poisoned chalice' in the eyes of the numerous players looking for clubs. :dunno:

Three midfielders signed in January without Hibs connections. I can still see Towel coming back too.

Stevie Reid
18-07-2011, 02:24 PM

A convenience signing as in he was available, Hibs wanted to sign him and Sproule wanted to sign for us? Isn't that what all transfers should be like? The attraction of coming back to the club that he loves after being released by Bristol obviously was a great option.

matty_f
18-07-2011, 02:27 PM
At most we should be looking to sign two more players.

We've got a host of young players pushing to make the break through. Too many signings will only stifle what is the lifeblood of our club.

Don't get me wrong, we could sign some players that are older, and therefore more consistant than our youngsters, but the young players have greater potential than what we can realistically sign. They're more likely to hang about a bit as well - unlike your Stokes' and Millers.

Booth, Antell, Taggart, Stephens, Wotherspoon, Crawford, Handling and Welsh should all be establishing or introducing themselves this season. That's what the clearing of the deck this summer should have been all about.

Interesting that you've picked 2 players out, I don't think you'll be far off on that calculation.

I posted on another thread a while back that if you broke down the squad into the areas where we have cover and where we need cover, only right back and centre forward stood out as being particularly short.

KeithTheHibby
18-07-2011, 02:30 PM
Interesting that you've picked 2 players out, I don't think you'll be far off on that calculation.

I posted on another thread a while back that if you broke down the squad into the areas where we have cover and where we need cover, only right back and centre forward stood out as being particularly short.

Agreed although I reckon we could do with 2 up front.

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Perhaps however there is 6 weeks of the transfer window to go so what is your point?

Maybe that someone coming in, in six weeks time, may not have had a proper pre-season. We have been through that before with Jonathan Johansson, where he was given first team games to get match fit and it was a disaster. Irrespective of when other countries' leagues start, ours starts this weekend. Any player coming in after we kick off, must surely be a tweaking signing rather than a pivotal one.

Stevie Reid
18-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Maybe that someone coming in, in six weeks time, may not have had a proper pre-season. We have been through that before with Jonathan Johansson, where he was given first team games to get match fit and it was a disaster. Irrespective of when other countries' leagues start, ours starts this weekend. Any player coming in after we kick off, must surely be a tweaking signing rather than a pivotal one.

Antony Stokes and Liam Miller were signed after the start of the 2009-10 season.

KWJ
18-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Although 16 left there were 5 or so brought in in January to stablise us and keep us up. If we can get 1 or 2 more we will be more than ok. If not it wont be the end of the world as the laddies will step up to the plate. Don't forget the budget will be far less with a drop in season ticket sales.

Yup, slightly twisting the numbers i think BH. There were 16 going out of contract of which some left before the end of the season so it's not like 16 out and 3 in. Also did 4 of the 16 not sign new contracts? LS, SW, DG & IM? Was IM one of those going out of contract, not seen anything to see he's signed on but he must be if he's getting a testy.

hehe testy.

I need sleep.

marinello59
18-07-2011, 03:27 PM

That makes no difference to players looking to get deals with a new club, they will be looking to keep their options open as long as possible. Every club in the SPL will be starting the season still looking to strengthen.

Andy74
18-07-2011, 03:49 PM

I think we probably went over headcount or budget in January so they probably need to be counted in against all the guys who have gone so far this season or before the end of last.

Still, I also expect more from this rebuild as it doesn't amount to much so far!

Franck is God
18-07-2011, 04:23 PM
There were 16 players out of contract this summer but 16 have not left. Stevenson signed a new deal, so did Welsh & Stack. The majority of players that did leave would have played no part next season anyway and we have on most occasions secured a better alternative.

We did not suffer from a lack of players at the beginning of last season but a lack of quality and a squad with a poor attitude which thankfully seems to have been addressed.

I'd like to see another creative/playmaker type midfielder come in as well as a couple of strikers but there's plenty time for business to be done. There's no point signing players just for the sake of it, they have to be better than what we have so I can only assume that the players we want are not available yet.

Andy74
18-07-2011, 04:26 PM
There were 16 players out of contract this summer but 16 have not left. Stevenson signed a new deal, so did Welsh & Stack. The majority of players that did leave would have played no part next season anyway and we have on most occasions secured a better alternative.

We did not suffer from a lack of players at the beginning of last season but a lack of quality and a squad with a poor attitude which thankfully seems to have been addressed.

I'd like to see another creative/playmaker type midfielder come in as well as a couple of strikers but there's plenty time for business to be done. There's no point signing players just for the sake of it, they have to be better than what we have so I can only assume that the players we want are not available yet.

In terms of things people have been saying recently about attitiudes having been addressed or in CC having a better eye for a player than previous managers, in what way is that showing itself?

Franck is God
18-07-2011, 04:35 PM
I think we probably went over headcount or budget in January so they probably need to be counted in against all the guys who have gone so far this season or before the end of last.

Still, I also expect more from this rebuild as it doesn't amount to much so far!

The rebuild has to take into account the starting team on the opening day last season to this one.

The team that started against at Motherwell away last year was as below.

Stack

Hart---Hogg---Bamba---Hanlon

DeGraaf---McBride---Miller---Riordan

Stokes---Nish

Obviously we don't know the team that will start on Sunday but I think it will be pretty different to the one above, from the squad that day Stack, Brown, Hart, Hanlon, Stephens, DeGraaf, Wotherspoon, Stevenson & Galbraith remain at Hibs.

Franck is God
18-07-2011, 04:48 PM
In terms of things people have been saying recently about attitiudes having been addressed or in CC having a better eye for a player than previous managers, in what way is that showing itself?

Well all reports about players in training is positive, the young players coming through and the new players arriving seem to be gelling pretty well.

As for a better eye for players than previous managers we still have to see but first impressions of Palsson & Thornhill have been good, Towell was an excellent loan signing, Sodje was the exact player we needed at the time, not sure about Scott yet but clearly that was on the strength of Adams suggestion. Divis & Vaz Te were brought in and given a chance, neither were good enough and have been released.

The immediate inclusion of Booth and installing Hanlon at centre half was a good move. I've not seen O'Hanlon yet but he was pretty well rated by his previous clubs fans and hopefuly will improve the back line and give experience to a young back four.

We all know what O'Connor & Sproule are capable of and not sure anyone would argue they are anything other than good signings.

number 27
18-07-2011, 05:02 PM
I must say that when last season finished I would not have believed we could possibly be looking to start this one without adding a Right back.

A new forward is needed also but without a RB we will suffer horribly IMO.

JustSimplyHibs
18-07-2011, 05:07 PM

Eh what about the 6 or so players brought in during Jan and the transfer window closes August :confused:

lucky
18-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Taggart and Wotherspoon can both do the job at RB. We do need more players to strengthen the squad. But Sundays game is not a game we would generally Target 3 points from. The transfer window still has 6 weeks to go so its no real panic

number 27
18-07-2011, 05:25 PM
Taggart and Wotherspoon can both do the job at RB. We do need more players to strengthen the squad. But Sundays game is not a game we would generally Target 3 points from. The transfer window still has 6 weeks to go so its no real panick.

Taggart is nowhere near ready and Spoony is not a natural RB. It may not be time to panic but possibly it might be time to prepare a decent first 11, what with the season starting this weeekend, pitch permitting.

Andy74
18-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Taggart is nowhere near ready and Spoony is not a natural RB. It may not be time to panic but possibly it might be time to prepare a decent first 11, what with the season starting this weeekend, pitch permitting.

Wotherspoon played far and away his best football for us at right back and was part of a back four that had our best defensive record for many decades up to that Christmas.

Some suggested he wasted at right back and would do some damange further up, others sugested that if Hughes played him as a striker he should be sacked immediately.

Since then he's been pretty poor further up and has been saying he sees himself more as a striker or link up player behind the forwards.

So, he wouldn't be getting in my first team further up but he'd have to be in with a shout of being our current best right back.

basehibby
18-07-2011, 05:40 PM

:agree: I agree there must be a bit of room left in the budget - the 4 permanent additions in january will have accounted for some of it, but when offset against the departures of Bamba, Zemama, Riordan, Miller, Nish, Rankin, Hogg and all the rest there must surely be a bit left in the tank.

Like you I'm a bit underwhelmed so far this window. The signings of GOC, Ivan and O'Hanlon all look to be good moves but clearly more is needed. There's still about 6 weeks left in the window but I'd say the need for another striker before the big KO next week is a must. I dearly hope that something can still be worked out with Sherridan in time for next week.

basehibby
18-07-2011, 05:49 PM
I must say that when last season finished I would not have believed we could possibly be looking to start this one without adding a Right back.

A new forward is needed also but without a RB we will suffer horribly IMO.

:agree: Taggart is young, Wotherspoon is really a midfielder and Hart has shown no signs of being the answer thus far. Someone said on another thread that Kirk Broadfoot might be available - he'd soufle role perfectly for me :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-07-2011, 06:08 PM
Akin see big Garry rattlin hame 20 goals this season!! :thumbsup: I hope you are right, although its roughly the no. of goals he has scored since he last played for us!

Sir David Gray
18-07-2011, 09:02 PM
We need a right back, two strikers, a midfielder who's going to contribute 8-10 goals a season and probably another centre half.

If we can manage that, I'll be very excited about this season.

ekhibee
18-07-2011, 09:04 PM
I thought the whole point of letting a lot of players go was to make the squad smaller but with more quality? Hope it works out that way, but to me there's still plenty of players I would never have playing for us again, such as DeGraff and Hart, and yet they will both very probably get regular stints in the first team. Quality? well, I really hope so....

Speedway
18-07-2011, 09:19 PM
I thought the whole point of letting a lot of players go was to make the squad smaller but with more quality? Hope it works out that way, but to me there's still plenty of players I would never have playing for us again, such as DeGraff and Hart, and yet they will both very probably get regular stints in the first team. Quality? well, I really hope so....

Well EDG signed a two year extension yesterday so here's hoping.

marinello59
18-07-2011, 09:24 PM
Well EDG signed a two year extension yesterday so here's hoping.

You are a very bad man. :greengrin

IWasThere2016
18-07-2011, 09:27 PM
We need a right back, two strikers, a midfielder who's going to contribute 8-10 goals a season and probably another centre half.

:agree:

down-the-slope
18-07-2011, 09:47 PM
The rebuild has to take into account the starting team on the opening day last season to this one.

The team that started against at Motherwell away last year was as below.

Stack

Hart---Hogg---Bamba---Hanlon

DeGraaf---McBride---Miller---Riordan

Stokes---Nish

Obviously we don't know the team that will start on Sunday but I think it will be pretty different to the one above, from the squad that day Stack, Brown, Hart, Hanlon, Stephens, DeGraaf, Wotherspoon, Stevenson & Galbraith remain at Hibs.

amazing to see in B&W as only Stack & Hanlon will be left as starters come Sunday

sesoim
18-07-2011, 11:32 PM

:agree: I agree with all that, especially if the midfielder is left sided because I'm not convinced about out options there.

I'd also say we DEFINITELY need another CB, and I'm surprised a lot of fans are oblivious to this. Our central defence was awful last season - the worst in the league, and one new CB isn't enough.

frazeHFC
18-07-2011, 11:35 PM
amazing to see in B&W as only Stack & Hanlon will be left as starters come Sunday Unless Hart and EDG play.....Speedway, you almost gave me a heart attack! :rolleyes:

sesoim
19-07-2011, 12:02 AM
From memory, since January 1st (I know I will have forgotten a few):

IN (7): Palsson, Scott, Thornhill, Sodje, O'Connor, Sproule, O'Hanlon

OUT (18 at least): Hogg, Bamba, Zemmama, Smith, Thicot, Duffy, Divis, Byrne, Flynn, Moyes, McBride, McCann, Trakys, Dickoh, Miller, Nish, Rankin, Riordan,

Vaz Te, Towell and Divis came and went.

All that adds up to a much smaller squad at the moment, although Booth has came in and hopefully a few other youngsters will next season. I'd have happilly jettisoned Hart, De Graf, Stevenson and, sadly, Murray as well. I still reckon we need another 4 or 5 players, if not a couple of real "impact" signings in the right areas who can really make a difference.

Speedway
19-07-2011, 07:57 AM
Unless Hart and EDG play.....Speedway, you almost gave me a heart attack! :rolleyes:

He did though. His mortgage was about to drop into it's standard variable rate so he signed a two year extension fixed at 5.38%.

From memory, since January 1st (I know I will have forgotten a few):

IN (7): Palsson, Scott, Thornhill, Sodje, O'Connor, Sproule, O'Hanlon

OUT (18 at least): Hogg, Bamba, Zemmama, Smith, Thicot, Duffy, Divis, Byrne, Flynn, Moyes, McBride, McCann, Trakys, Dickoh, Miller, Nish, Rankin, Riordan,

Vaz Te, Towell and Divis came and went.

All that adds up to a much smaller squad at the moment, although Booth has came in and hopefully a few other youngsters will next season. I'd have happilly jettisoned Hart, De Graf, Stevenson and, sadly, Murray as well. I still reckon we need another 4 or 5 players, if not a couple of real "impact" signings in the right areas who can really make a difference.

I think you can add Currie and Grounds (loan) to those that have been outed.

Stevie Reid
19-07-2011, 08:37 AM
Wotherspoon played far and away his best football for us at right back and was part of a back four that had our best defensive record for many decades up to that Christmas.

Some suggested he wasted at right back and would do some damange further up, others sugested that if Hughes played him as a striker he should be sacked immediately.

Since then he's been pretty poor further up and has been saying he sees himself more as a striker or link up player behind the forwards.

So, he wouldn't be getting in my first team further up but he'd have to be in with a shout of being our current best right back.

Completely agree. I've made a case in the past for trying Wotherspoon out in the hole during pre-season, but that's obviously not going to happen - he was good at right back, and as you point out was part of the back four whose defensive record was excellent. I would be far from upset if Wotherspoon started the season as our RB, he could definitely develop there - we used to think that Whittaker was just a midfielder, and whilst he still features there, he is an excellent full back. Whitty is obviously a better player (and crucially is taller and better in the air), but I could see a future for DW at full back - would certainly play a role in us getting in behind teams if he were to link up with Sproule.

Niffy
19-07-2011, 09:23 AM
We can only hope and pray that Gary O' stays free from injury & suspensions in the first few weeks.

HibeeSince85
20-07-2011, 12:29 AM

When was this? sorry to break it to you David but you are never a striker.

Steve-O
20-07-2011, 01:27 AM
It's a joke that we've only signed 3 players to be honest, but no surprise with Hibs. We seem to like waiting until the last possible minute to sign anyone, regardless of when the season starts (6 weeks before transfer window closes this time) and then we are asked to give the players time to 'gel', 'bed in' and all the other usual pish.

I am actually dreading what the score might be on Sunday as we've almost got the same squad that was utterly rancid for the last 3 months of last season!

Ok, the 3 signings look to be decent ones, but I still don't think we're anywhere near close to having a strong squad.

joe breezy
20-07-2011, 06:30 AM
£100 on Hibs to win the Scottish Cup, this is our year...

greenlex
20-07-2011, 06:39 AM
It's a joke that we've only signed 3 players to be honest, but no surprise with Hibs. We seem to like waiting until the last possible minute to sign anyone, regardless of when the season starts (6 weeks before transfer window closes this time) and then we are asked to give the players time to 'gel', 'bed in' and all the other usual pish.I am actually dreading what the score might be on Sunday as we've almost got the same squad that was utterly rancid for the last 3 months of last season!Ok, the 3 signings look to be decent ones, but I still don't think we're anywhere near close to having a strong squad. So we have signed 3 players weeks ago but wait till the last minute before signing anyone?

Steve20
20-07-2011, 06:44 AM
It's a joke that we've only signed 3 players to be honest, but no surprise with Hibs. We seem to like waiting until the last possible minute to sign anyone, regardless of when the season starts (6 weeks before transfer window closes this time) and then we are asked to give the players time to 'gel', 'bed in' and all the other usual pish.

I am actually dreading what the score might be on Sunday as we've almost got the same squad that was utterly rancid for the last 3 months of last season!

Ok, the 3 signings look to be decent ones, but I still don't think we're anywhere near close to having a strong squad.

Agreed. At least another 3 or 4 players short. It is obvious that the right back position and strikers are needed, but I still say we need another centre half too.