PDA

View Full Version : John Rankin - Scotland On Sunday

Gala Foxes
18-07-2011, 04:56 AM
Apparently he see's his move to Dundee United as a "move up" - hope he enjoys moving up to playing in front of 5,000 to 6,000 punters every week.

Not sure if he said the same thing when he left Man Utd to head to the football cauldron that is the Scottish Highlands.

scott7_0(Prague)
18-07-2011, 06:21 AM
In terms of league positions it is. Probably on the same or more money, so again it is a move up and I don't think comparing attendances is something us Hibs fans should be doing, our stadium is half empty most home games!

Gmack7
18-07-2011, 06:41 AM
dont talk rubbish,its half full

Newhaven
18-07-2011, 06:49 AM
I see he's gone from the token hibs rent a quote to the token United one in rapid time.

Good riddance :blah:

Ray_
18-07-2011, 07:00 AM
Apparently he see's his move to Dundee United as a "move up" - hope he enjoys moving up to playing in front of 5,000 to 6,000 punters every week.

Not sure if he said the same thing when he left Man Utd to head to the football cauldron that is the Scottish Highlands.

Of course its a move up, from Hibs reserves to "playing in front of 5,000 to 6,000 punters every week".

Hamish
18-07-2011, 07:12 AM
What do you expect the lad to say? ''Big move down for me this and I'm very disappointed to have joined United?':rolleyes:

Plus they finished higher in the league than us last season, so technically it is.

Phil MaGlass
18-07-2011, 07:46 AM
Id agree with him, it is a move up.
They are a better team than us at the moment.

RIP
18-07-2011, 07:56 AM
John has always had a lot to say for himself

I work beside a lot of Arab fans

I've recommended they reserve judgement till he scores another squiggler :wink:

frazeHFC
18-07-2011, 07:58 AM
They also have had European football for numerous seasons in a row.

TrickyNicky
18-07-2011, 07:58 AM

As much as it pains me to say it, I think he's right too.

UEFA Cup runners up, League Champions, Scottish Cup winners and League Cup winners in the last 30 years would surely make them the third best club in the country in his lifetime.

Beefster
18-07-2011, 08:03 AM
What do you expect the lad to say? ''Big move down for me this and I'm very disappointed to have joined United?':rolleyes:

Plus they finished higher in the league than us last season, so technically it is.

So why do we criticise ex-Hibs players for pandering to the Bigots, if it is understandable for an ex-Hibs player to do it when they move elsewhere?

flash
18-07-2011, 08:13 AM
He can ram it. mickey mouse wears a john rankin watch.

TrickyNicky
18-07-2011, 08:25 AM
He can ram it. mickey mouse wears a john rankin watch.

Sorry, can I change my mind regarding my nice post above - the F-Word couldn't give a Rankin !:flag::flag::flag::flag:

Ray_
18-07-2011, 08:31 AM
As much as it pains me to say it, I think he's right too.

UEFA Cup runners up, League Champions, Scottish Cup winners and League Cup winners in the last 30 years would surely make them the third best club in the country in his lifetime.

I would have thought Aberdeen supporters may contest that view!

TrickyNicky
18-07-2011, 08:52 AM
I would have thought Aberdeen supporters may contest that view!

Awright, awright, ah'm no an Aberdeen fan, please don't PM the admins, I really like it here !:greengrin

ballengeich
18-07-2011, 09:11 AM
Of course it's a move up - just look at a map of Scotland:greengrin

Speedway
18-07-2011, 09:15 AM
Was at relegation threatened club, hated by the supporters and not getting a game.

Now at top six club, not yet hated by the supporters and every chance of getting a game.

For the same or better money.

It's two or three steps up for him.

EK_Hibs
18-07-2011, 09:18 AM

If Badwillie leaves will you still be saying that?
:confused:

Hamish
18-07-2011, 10:41 AM
So why do we criticise ex-Hibs players for pandering to the Bigots, if it is understandable for an ex-Hibs player to do it when they move elsewhere?

You tell me. I have personally never criticised a player for wanting to better himself, even if it is disappointing when they head along the M8

Since90+2
18-07-2011, 10:49 AM
Was at relegation threatened club, hated by the supporters and not getting a game.

Now at top six club, not yet hated by the supporters and every chance of getting a game.

Moving from Hibs to Dundee United is three steps up? Ehh I dinnae think so :wink:

Sean1875
18-07-2011, 11:26 AM
If Badwillie leaves will you still be saying that?
:confused:
Dundee Utd to Rangers is a step up whichever way you look at it, as frustrating as it is to see the OF taking more and more of the SPL talent.

IWasThere2016
18-07-2011, 11:52 AM

£1,400 p/w basic at Arabs.

Dinkydoo
18-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Unfortunately at the moment, Dundee Utd is a step up from Hibs.

They finished higher than us last season and had quite a strong team.

It's all there for us to change this season though. :flag:

Del Boy
18-07-2011, 12:06 PM
no doubt that it's a step up, United have been far stronger for the last 2 or 3 years.

steakbake
18-07-2011, 12:09 PM
No doubt that it's a step up, United have been far stronger for the last 2 or 3 years.

It is a step up given the positions over the last few years. Still, some folk won't let that get in the way of kicking Rankin.

The Harp
18-07-2011, 12:11 PM
Haven't read the article but I didn't mind Rankin - seen a lot worse than him plying their trade at ER. Will be interesting to see if he becomes a target for the boo boys at Tannadice the way he was targeted when he was with us.
As for Dundee Utd - they seem to consistently get more out of a playing staff, roughly of a similar quality to ours, than we do.

Hamish
18-07-2011, 01:14 PM
It is a step up given the positions over the last few years. Still, some folk won't let that get in the way of kicking Rankin.

:top marks

blackpoolhibs
18-07-2011, 01:59 PM

Thats what happens when you have a decent manager.

Beefster
18-07-2011, 02:17 PM
Thats what happens when you have a decent manager.

I'm fairly sure that spending beyond your means helps too.

Septimus
18-07-2011, 03:37 PM
And he is in with a good chance of a cap or two for Scotland.

JohnScott
18-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Cant believe your actually debating this. Most Hibs fans slagged him off (and are still doing so on here) despite the fact he left months ago. Now we're peeved he's having a dig back by saying he's moved up in his carreer. He may be right, who really cares? Frankly we've got more to worry about at the moment than a pissed off EX player.

greenlex
18-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Cant believe your actually debating this. Most Hibs fans slagged him off (and are still doing so on here) despite the fact he left months ago. Now we're peeved he's having a dig back by saying he's moved up in his carreer. He may be right, who really cares? Frankly we've got more to worry about at the moment than a pissed off EX player.
Like adding to the thread. :greengrin

Bayern Bru
18-07-2011, 04:15 PM
And he is in with a good chance of a cap or two for Scotland.

:faf:

Wind-up?

Sir David Gray
18-07-2011, 09:54 PM
At the moment, you really have to say that a move from Hibs to Dundee Utd is a step up. They've finished above us in each of the last 4 seasons and were streets ahead of us last season in particular.

Whether that will happen again this year now that they have lost Gomis, Buaben, Conway and (probably) Goodwillie remains to be seen.

Jonnyboy
18-07-2011, 09:59 PM
:faf:

Wind-up?

Methinks you missed the irony (together with the Levein love in with everything DUFC) :greengrin

Kato
19-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Good at gobbing off an' ting,
Take a step up Rankin,
Running is all he bring
He can't shoot or pass an' ting.

Tackle for the ball and find Hibs player he didn't,
Shut Up John Rankin,
You might be fit an' buff and ting,
But as football player you stink.

Flatter to deceive and do you stuff in training,
But on a Saturday, nothing.
Running is all he bring

blackpoolhibs
19-07-2011, 11:28 AM
I'm fairly sure that spending beyond your means helps too.

Yes you are right, yet we spend more than Dundee Utd but dont do as well as them????:confused:

sahib
19-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Good at gobbing off an' ting,
Take a step up Rankin,
Running is all he bring

Tackle for the ball and find Hibs player he didn't,
Shut Up John Rankin,
You might be fit an' buff and ting,
But as football player you stink.

Flatter to deceive and do you stuff in training,
But on a Saturday, nothing.
Running is all he bring

Good effort.:greengrin

Bayern Bru
19-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Methinks you missed the irony (together with the Levein love in with everything DUFC) :greengrin

John, I wondered, but given some of the stuff I've seen here recently, thought I'd err on the side of caution!!

Winston Ingram
19-07-2011, 06:15 PM
If he was signing for the same squad as last season it would have definately have been a step up in quality.

However when you lose the likes of Conway, Bauben, Gomis and probably Goodwillie and replace them with the likes of ....Rankin that step up has soon turned into plummeting off a cliff:agree:

It'll be interesting to see how the United fans will view the replacement of Gomis' crisp efficient passing with Rankins peppering of the stands with rank rotten shooting and sclaffing

Hakim Sar
19-07-2011, 11:37 PM
John Rankin is a terrible football player and very lucky to be a professional. In any other walk of life if you were that poor at your job you'd be shown the door.A very very fortunate young man. Just a simply horrendous football player.

marinello59
20-07-2011, 05:59 AM
How dare he make any sort of implied criticism after we were all so nice to him.

Hamish
20-07-2011, 06:14 AM
How dare he make any sort of implied criticism after we were all so nice to him.

:greengrin