PDA

View Full Version : Erin Community Trust

Hibbyradge
17-07-2011, 02:46 PM
I've been donating every month by direct debit to the Trust for many, many years.

I complained about not receiving any information from Trustees a couple of years ago and, as a result, a number of people were at pains to apologise and promise to keep me included in future.

Since then, the number of times I've been contacted is precisely zero.

I have no idea what my money is being used for and I can't be sure even if it ends up at Hibs or in someone's personal account and that's not good enough.

Is there any reason I shouldn't cancel my contribution?

Ringothedog
17-07-2011, 03:21 PM
No

ArabHibee
17-07-2011, 04:13 PM
I've donated every month for years and years to Cancer Research and I hear hee haw from them.
I like it that way tbh, would cheese me off if they kept contacting me every 5 minutes with newsletters etc.

Depends how strongly you feel about it.

Removed
17-07-2011, 04:23 PM
I've donated every month for years and years to Cancer Research and I hear hee haw from them.I like it that way tbh, would cheese me off if they kept contacting me every 5 minutes with newsletters etc.Depends how strongly you feel about it. Did you give money to moonbeams?

ArabHibee
17-07-2011, 04:34 PM
Did you give money to moonbeams?

No.

Removed
17-07-2011, 04:56 PM
No. You'll know about them though and that was one of the reasons that OSCR was set up. Every charity I have supported regularly has at least sent me a quarterly newsletter - with the option to opt out or receive it by email.The least I'd expect is ERIN Community Trust to do the same and if I gave to them regularly I'd want some info into the good work they are doing as well.

Big Frank
17-07-2011, 05:06 PM
I've been donating every month by direct debit to the Trust for many, many years.

I complained about not receiving any information from Trustees a couple of years ago and, as a result, a number of people were at pains to apologise and promise to keep me included in future.

I have no idea what my money is being used for and I can't be sure even if it ends up at Hibs or in someone's personal account and that's not good enough.

Seems a real shoddy way to treat you, and no, there is no reason for you not to cancel your acontribution.

They obviously don't need it.

Hibbyradge
17-07-2011, 05:27 PM
I've donated every month for years and years to Cancer Research and I hear hee haw from them.
I like it that way tbh, would cheese me off if they kept contacting me every 5 minutes with newsletters etc.

Depends how strongly you feel about it.

Cancer Research is one of my charities too and I'm surprised they don't send you the same literature as I get.

However, that arrangement suits you, but if you asked for information, you'd get it.

I'm interested in where my money goes and the point is, I asked Erin Trust to keep me informed and they haven't.

ArabHibee
17-07-2011, 05:32 PM
Cancer Research is one of my charities too and I'm surprised they don't send you the same literature as I get.

However, that arrangement suits you, but if you asked for information, you'd get it.

I'm interested in where my money goes and the point is, I asked Erin Trust to keep me informed and they haven't.
Fair points D.
Maybe try contacting them again and if still no joy then cancel your payment?

McSwanky
17-07-2011, 06:43 PM
I've been contacted very recently by Cancer Research... to ask if I'd consider giving more than I already do! After I said no, they proceeded to ask me again. Three times. I was a hair's breadth away from canceling my existing direct debit to them, the cheeky bassas.

basehibby
17-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Never mind Cancer research - Hibbyradge has a good point here. I too have been contributing to ERIN (Easter Road on the Internet) trust for many years and haven't heard a peep out of them for donkeys.

I've no desire to be bombarded with info, but I would like to get an indication as to where my money's going from time to time.

As I recall, the idea was that the cash would be invested in buying shares and/or contributed towards helping the football club. Maybe with times as they are, dividends etc have totalled the square root of sod all! Even if that were the case, the contributors such as myself and Hibbyradge have a right to know what's happened to it and how the running totals are looking.

So... Any ERIN Trust Trustees out there care to illuminate us??? With a name like "Easter Rd on the Internet" I would be surprised and disappointed if none of the organisers noticed this thread and responded to it.

NB - for any interested here is the ERIN Trust Web site....

http://www.erintrust.org/index.php

I notice that the "latest" news article on the site is dated 24th March 2009 - WTF!?!?!?! :confused:

Tommy Millar
18-07-2011, 04:53 PM
I enquired about joining the Erin Trust a few months ago and had difficulty contacting them. After persevering, I was able to be put in touch. PM me and I can give you a contact.

Golden Bear
18-07-2011, 05:37 PM
Never mind Cancer research - Hibbyradge has a good point here. I too have been contributing to ERIN (Easter Road on the Internet) trust for many years and haven't heard a peep out of them for donkeys.

I've no desire to be bombarded with info, but I would like to get an indication as to where my money's going from time to time.

As I recall, the idea was that the cash would be invested in buying shares and/or contributed towards helping the football club. Maybe with times as they are, dividends etc have totalled the square root of sod all! Even if that were the case, the contributors such as myself and Hibbyradge have a right to know what's happened to it and how the running totals are looking.

So... Any ERIN Trust Trustees out there care to illuminate us??? With a name like "Easter Rd on the Internet" I would be surprised and disappointed if none of the organisers noticed this thread and responded to it.

I notice that the "latest" news article on the site is dated 24th March 2009 - WTF!?!?!?! :confused:

I've no interest in the Erin trust but must admit that I find it astonishing that folk are shelling out money on a regular basis yet have no idea where their contributions are going or indeed what the funds are being used for.

:confused:

CropleyWasGod
18-07-2011, 05:51 PM

I can't see them listed on the OSCR website. I would've thought they would be..

Removed
18-07-2011, 05:52 PM
I can't see them listed on the OSCR website. I would've thought they would be.. :agree: I couldn't find them either and did think that was strange

marinello59
18-07-2011, 05:53 PM
I enquired about joining the Erin Trust a few months ago and had difficulty contacting them. After persevering, I was able to be put in touch. PM me and I can give you a contact.

Are you unable to post a contact on here?

CropleyWasGod
18-07-2011, 06:00 PM
:agree: I couldn't find them either and did think that was strange

Had a look at their constitution, and found this:-

No alteration shall be made which would have the effect of causing
the Association to cease to be recognised by FICO as a charity.

I am no expert in Charity law, but I do know that OSCR are the regulatory body for charities in Scotland. Prior to their establishment, it was done by the Inland Revenue. FICO are the Revenue office that deal with the tax affairs of charities.

The constitution needs updated :0)

NYHibby
18-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Has anyone else noticed that they updated their website since this thread was started? When I looked the other day, a Dave Shanks was listed as convenor. Now it is Frank Sweeney.

CropleyWasGod
18-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Has anyone else noticed that they updated their website since this thread was started? When I looked the other day, a Dave Shanks was listed as convenor. Now it is Frank Sweeney.

The power of Hibs.net :greengrin

By the end of the day, they'll be registered with OSCR and have sent out full-colour newsletters....

Boris
18-07-2011, 06:39 PM
I'm surprised about the lack of communication - its a fair point well made - but the Trust was certainly still going at the end of last season & I recall a couple of the committee presenting a cheque on the pitch last season (towards the youth teams I think?).

I was on the committee at one time, I no longer am & indeed I am no longer a member. I would just say though that I came off the committee as I couldn't give it the time it needed owing to work & I just stopped my monthly payment as I felt contributing to the youth teams wasn't really what the Trust was set up for.

The people on the Trust committee though are 100% committed though & every penny that comes in in subscriptions goes to Hibs & I know for a fact that some committee members paid some of the running costs out their own pockets. And at least 2 of the committee members travelled long distances (from Ayrshire & the Borders) to every meeting but never dreamed of taking a penny in expenses. The Trust has contributed well in excess of £50k to Hibs over the years for things like medical & video equipment to name just a couple of things.

We tried to set the Trust up as a charity but couldn't tick all the boxes & like most other supporters Trusts it's set up under another legal title (as advised by the Government supported body that oversees Supporters trusts) - I can't remember the name now. I was involved with the Hibs Historical Trust back at the start & we eventually got that registered as a Charity but there were a lot of hoops we had to jump through before we got that in place.

I'd be surprised if somebody from the Trust doesn't see this thread & respond but I'll make a point of trying to see if there's anybody appropriate at Falkirk tomorrow & make them aware.

To decide whether or not to continue to subscribe is obviously a personal decision & from the comments its clear that communication from the Trust maybe leaves a bit to be desired but one thing I know to be true - the Trust & the people who run it are totally legitimate, comply with the regulatory requirements of Trust legislation & every penny they raise goes to Hibernian FC.

IberianHibernian
18-07-2011, 08:30 PM
Pretty sure they send out a newsletter at least once a year though by normal post ( even if you have given e mail address ) . News is usually about Player of Year event and about how income has been spent ( video equipment , training gear etc) . Mention of buying club shares was made a couple of years ago I think . I`ve always liked the idea of a group of Hibbies deciding how money should be spent rather than a professional accountant who will move on at first better offer and as an overseas fan saw it as a way to help club ( may be wrong with dates but I think it started at time of relegation , return to SPL , signing of top foreigners like Sauzee , Zitelli and Latapy and generally higher profile of club - we`ve fallen a lot on and off pitch in last few years for various reasons and that may have affected ERIN like rest of club ) . At the end of the day , those that run it are giving up a lot of their free time to help club but maybe they do need to become better known ( did they not have a page in match programme a few years ago for example ? ) to really see their efforts rewarded .

MSK
18-07-2011, 08:49 PM
Has anyone else noticed that they updated their website since this thread was started? When I looked the other day, a Dave Shanks was listed as convenor. Now it is Frank Sweeney.Frank posts on here now & then..he hasnt read this thread though ..

Neil Havis
06-09-2011, 08:08 PM
Hi. I'm Neil Havis, Secretary of the Trust. Yes we're still on the go and yes we're contributing to the Club's youth policy this year. If we've lost contact with you then that's my fault so fire away and blame me.
Our PO Box has now closed so anyone wanting to contact me or the Trust can e-mail me at

Neil.Havis@sac.ac.uk
or ndave65@hotmail.com

or write to me
c/o SAC
West Mains Road
Edinburgh
EH9 3JG

We do value every contribution from our members. Over the decade we've been going we've donated 100K to the club.
We're aware that our website is now out of date ...we've not had a regular webmaster since Trevor Hannat headed south so that's priority number one for us this year. I can assure you that no money has ended up in anyone's account. There are accredited accounts for every year.

So if you're a member or you know a member that hasn't received infor from the Trust for over six months ...get in touch with me now.

Cheers

Neil

franks
08-09-2011, 08:41 AM
I am the Chair of the ERIN Hibernian Supporters Trust. I visit the site regularly but seldom post, I have obviously missed this thread first time round perhaps I was away on holiday when it was first posted and missed it.

We have had complaints before about lack of information and usually find when checking as to why the member has been omitted, learnt, that the member has changed their address or e-mail hence the lack of correspondence. That is not to say that the Trust has always been blameless as there may have been occasions where a name has been lost from our data base for some reason and if that is the case then we apologize.

The Trust aims to send out a newsletter once a quarter but in recent years this has been more like 3 times a year. The committee member who sends out the newsletter has done so for over 10 years and like everyone else his circumstances have changed and time is now tighter for him. At last nights committee meeting this was discussed and the committee has agreed to share the burden and try to send out newsletters more frequently.

Our next committee meeting will be on Wednesday 5th October in the Hibs Club at Sunnyside 6pm, if any member wishes to attend they will be more than welcome to observe or preferably participate.

At the AGM in May those present decided that The Trust would this year sponsor the U13 youth team at a cost of £6,000, the Academy Manager Bill Hendry has responded to the Trust thanking us for our continued support.

Our last news letter was sent out in April, if you are a member of The Trust and did not receive this newsletter, hard copy or e-mail, please PM me with your details.

Best wishes to all Hibs fans and particularly our members.

GGTTH, Chair ERIN Hibernian Supporters Trust