PDA

View Full Version : Pre season good or bad?

blackpoolhibs
17-07-2011, 01:47 PM
How do folk think our pre season has gone? 3 signings lots left gives us a leaner squad. So far we have played 3 games against Scottish lower league teams, won 2 and lost 1 against clubs roughly as far on fitness wise as us. And one game against a championship side and lost to a team way behind us in that regard.

Also with the confusion off the park with Calderwood still going on, imo its been a poor one and does not fill me with any great hope for the coming season.

Sorry for that, but honesty seems to be the best policy these days.

The Falcon
17-07-2011, 01:53 PM
How do folk think our pre season has gone? 3 signings lots left gives us a leaner squad. So far we have played 3 games against Scottish lower league teams, won 2 and lost 1 against clubs roughly as far on fitness wise as us. And one game against a championship side and lost to a team way behind us in that regard.
Also with the confusion off the park with Calderwood still going on, imo its been a poor one and does not fill me with anygreat hope for the coming season.

You could probably say that every season with Hibs and you'd be pretty much right most of the time. Lets see what happens when the shooting starts before we throw ourselves in front of the nearest bus.

blackpoolhibs
17-07-2011, 02:03 PM
You could probably say that every season with Hibs and you'd be pretty much right most of the time. Lets see what happens when the shooting starts before we throw ourselves in front of the nearest bus.

I dont know anyone who's about to throw themselves under the nearest bus, :rolleyes: just a few of my mates who are fed up with the Calderwood situation and indifferent results last season and this pre season.

Progress is what we all want to see, are we seeing that? Spoke to someone who posts on here yesterday, he told me he's not going to buy a season ticket this season, and wont be back. Spoke to another this morning and he has a season ticket but wont be going much.

Its the clubs job to get us the supporters excited about the new season, do you think thats the case, i dont. Those who will go regardless will do so, those who are not so keen need poked and prodded into going. A winning team always does that, i cant see that being the case this season unless we sign at least 4-5 good players.

frazeHFC
17-07-2011, 02:07 PM
Boring.....worrying.....pesimism

Diclonius
17-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Amazing pre-season with Collins - finished 6th.

Horrendous pre-season with Mixu - finished 6th.

Let's just see what happens, like.

Brebners Bookie
17-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Amazing pre-season with Collins - finished 6th.

Horrendous pre-season with Mixu - finished 6th.

Let's just see what happens, like.

Exactly, pre season results mean nothing. More interested in the signings.

CB_NO3
17-07-2011, 02:13 PM
We will struggle big time IMO. At the moment I would say we are a bottom 6 team. If the unthinkable happens and Sproule and O'Connor got injured early doors then we are looking at being relegation candidates. We have lost alot of players and not replaced them. Am guessing we have slashed 20k a week of the wage bill. Am not sure Petrie is interested in where we finish as long as we are running well financially. Sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate, not with Rod you dont. Season Tickets sales are well down and would not blame the recession, more the fact that no one wants to pay £400 to watch a poor team.

KeithTheHibby
17-07-2011, 02:14 PM

Also with the confusion off the park with Calderwood still going on, imo its been a poor one and does not fill me with any great hope for the coming season.

I was at the Berwick game and we were streets ahead of them, which we should be.

I was also at the Livi game and we looked poor defensively at times but if truth be told we should have won the game after the sitters we missed.
I did think during that game that the squad looked a bit weak especially when Ivan and GOC went off.

I didn't go to the East Fife game so cannot comment. Falkirk will give us a decent game and I pretty much expect CC to start with his preferred line up against them.

Off the pitch we all know how much of a farce it has been however CC is still here and if I am being honest don't expect him to leave now. I doubt it has affected what has been happening on the training ground though, all concerned are professional.

There are still 6 weeks of the transfer window to go and expect to see more arrivals with hopefully Sheridan signing on before the Celtic game.

I am going to reserve judgement until the end of August when the window closes, by then we will have played a few games and will be able to see exactly how far we have come during pre-season.

blackpoolhibs
17-07-2011, 02:17 PM
I was at the Berwick game and we were streets ahead of them, which we should be.

I was also at the Livi game and we looked poor defensively at times but if truth be told we should have won the game after the sitters we missed.
I did think during that game that the squad looked a bit weak especially when Ivan and GOC went off.

I didn't go to the East Fife game so cannot comment. Falkirk will give us a decent game and I pretty much expect CC to start with his preferred line up against them.

Off the pitch we all know how much of a farce it has been however CC is still here and if I am being honest don't expect him to leave now. I doubt it has affected what has been happening on the training ground though, all concerned are professional.

There are still 6 weeks of the transfer window to go and expect to see more arrivals with hopefully Sheridan signing on before the Celtic game.

I am going to reserve judgement until the end of August when the window closes, by then we will have played a few games and will be able to see exactly how far we have come during pre-season.

Thanks. :top marks

ionahibby
17-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Very concerned tbh we are going to be bottom 6 me thinks although we won't be the only ones. I'd be worried if i was an aberdeen or dundee utd supporter as well have a feeling they will be down there with us they don't look to clever either.

Northfield Hibby
17-07-2011, 02:35 PM

The pre-season for me hasn't been what has happened on the park but off it. The ridiculous situation with CC, training ground bust up between Scott and Welsh and the lack of new signings. It is a leaner squad with decent young ones in but the squad is lacking in so many areas which hasn't been addressed. I know we have until the end of august to bring new players in, but the season starts next weekend and as it stands we are nowhere near good enough for a top six finish. My worry, apart from the manager situation, is that we have missed out on potential targets because of the CC situation, and that we end up picking up players from some european 3rd or 4th division leagues.

Ringothedog
17-07-2011, 02:40 PM
I love this bottom 6 nonsense. Dunfermline who are newly promoted will struggle as will St Mirren. St Johnstone, Dundee Utd,Motherwell, Kilmarnock and Inverness have lost most of their better players and imo will also struggle. Aberdeen have lost players as well but I think their defensive minded manager will make them hard to beat. The jambos are the only team to have got a bit stronger(and even they have lost a few players). In fact every team outwith the OF are more than capable of beating each other. If we cant finish in the top 6 this season we should sell easter road, east mains and the players and divi up the proceeds between all the fans.

HibsMax
17-07-2011, 02:47 PM
I'm not sure that pre-season results actually count for much as the point is to get the players match fit and work on other things. If results were the most important thing then surely we would field our strongest 11 and not be making 100 subs a t half-time, etc.?

Just for shiggles I looked at the Patriots pre-season results in 2001, 2003 and 2004 (the years they won the Superbowl). Their pre-season results were all over the place. One year they won them all, another year they won 3 out of 4 and yet another year they lost 3 out of 4.

The most worrying thing for me is the lack of signings but there is still time (which does not mean that I wouldn't have liked to have seen more signings by now).

Northfield Hibby
17-07-2011, 02:53 PM
I love this bottom 6 nonsense. Dunfermline who are newly promoted will struggle as will St Mirren. St Johnstone, Dundee Utd,Motherwell, Kilmarnock and Inverness have lost most of their better players and imo will also struggle. Aberdeen have lost players as well but I think their defensive minded manager will make them hard to beat. The jambos are the only team to have got a bit stronger(and even they have lost a few players). In fact every team outwith the OF are more than capable of beating each other. If we cant finish in the top 6 this season we should sell easter road, east mains and the players and divi up the proceeds between all the fans.

Really!! Saints, Dundee Utd, Motherwell, Kilmarnock and Inverness all finished above us last season!! St Mirren have made some really good signings which I have would have been happy to see sign for us! We are weaker up front and IMO weaker in defence from last season. True we are all capable of beating each other at some point, but over a season that's what matters!!

Agree about Dunfermline and Aberdeen, I do think they look weaker than us!!

Ed De Gramo
17-07-2011, 02:54 PM
Been to all the pre seasons so far and have to agree with KeithTheHibby's assessment of the matches.

Looking back at last year's pre-season schedule, i'm off the belief that we have played better football overall during this pre-season. Yeah, we lost to Livi but we created a bus load of chances that on another day would have went in.

Friendly Dunfermline Athletic 0 – 4 Hibernian East End Park, Dunfermline 10 July 2010
Friendly Queen of the South 0 – 4 Hibernian Palmerston Park, Dumfries 13 July 2010
Friendly Heracles Almelo 3 – 0 Hibernian Tubbergen 16 July 2010
Friendly NEC Nijmegen 0 – 1 Hibernian Herpen 19 July 2010
Friendly ADO Den Haag 2 – 1 Hibernian Den Haag Stadion, The Hague 21 July 2010
Friendly Vitesse 1 – 1 Hibernian Polis Direct Stadion, Driel 24 July 2010
Friendly Carlisle United 1 – 0 Hibernian Brunton Park, Carlisle 1 August 2010
Friendly Blackpool 1 – 2 Hibernian Bloomfield Road, Blackpool 8 August 2010

I still think we need at least 3 more bodies in....RB, ST and another CB would be the main areas for strengthening IMO.

Keith_M
17-07-2011, 03:00 PM
At the moment I'm not confident as it's obvious to everyone we need some additional quality in the squad.

There are a few weeks to go though, in the transfer window, so what happens in that time in terms of signings could increase my level of confidence.

The talk over CC staying or going, and his completely non-comittal comments, have obviously put a dampener on people's enthusiasm about the coming season as well. A lot of people on here have been acting like Ostriches in that regard. The fact is that an approach was made by another club. Although this was turned down, the approach would definitely have NOT been made if unnoficial contact with CC or his agent had not already confirmed his interest in going. His subsequent comments regarding Compensation and lack of any firm commitment to stay at Hibs has totally put a dampener on the pre-season.

But "we're all in it together" **, or whatever the current marketing phrase is.

** Unless, of course, you're a player, manager, or other club official who's been offered more money elsewhere, in which case you're on your own and everybody else can sod off.

Don Giovanni
17-07-2011, 03:19 PM
At the moment I'm not confident as it's obvious to everyone we need some additional quality in the squad.There are a few weeks to go though, in the transfer window, so what happens in that time in terms of signings could increase my level of confidence. The talk over CC staying or going, and his completely non-comittal comments, have obviously put a dampener on people's enthusiasm about the coming season as well. A lot of people on here have been acting like Ostriches in that regard. The fact is that an approach was made by another club. Although this was turned down, the approach would definitely have NOT been made if unnoficial contact with CC or his agent had not already confirmed his interest in going. His subsequent comments regarding Compensation and lack of any firm commitment to stay at Hibs has totally put a dampener on the pre-season.But "we're all in it together" **, or whatever the current marketing phrase is.** Unless, of course, you're a player, manager, or other club official who's been offered more money elsewhere, in which case you're on your own and everybody else can sod off. :agree: Top post. The Calderwood situation has been a total farce but the single biggest concern has to be the lack of quality in our squad going into the new season.

Baldy Foghorn
17-07-2011, 03:19 PM
IMO the uncertainly has been an irritant, but Hibs have still went about there business quietly.

You can really not take much from pre season friendly results as these are mere fitness games, the real test is next Sunday and a tough start with Celtic at Home then a trip to Inverness. Let's just hope we as a collective are up for the test/fight......

down-the-slope
17-07-2011, 06:15 PM
happy to say we are in a significantly better position than recent pre-seasons.

Being based at EM / Borders thus far has avoided all the fannying about all over this or other countries and allowed a better routine to be developed in training and has allowed the benefit of facilities at EM for current players and to bring and assess trialists.

squad is fitter than at his point in recent seasons, and has lost most of the dead wood. We need a couple of additions, but expect these before end of window (remembering that this is a way off)

Biggest concern for coming season...state of ER pitch compared to that at EM...I hope Rod is reviewing the grounds care contract as i type:deal:

Pedantic_Hibee
17-07-2011, 06:26 PM
If the players go into the first game at the optimum fitness they can be at, then it's been an absolutely brilliant pre-season. Simple as that.

Iggy Pope
17-07-2011, 07:08 PM
I used to love this time of year when I was young (and not so young). Desperate to find out about pre-season tours, desperate to find a game to go to. When I was a kid Hibs would be up north or over to Ireland on tour and come back and pish the Drybrough Cup. Waiting with baited breath on transfer news and the fixture list including the League Cup draw. Sunday papers and back pages in general started to be worth looking at again.

Even as recently as last year we had Holland and Slovenia to plan. Prior to that we've had stuff like Blackpool, Preston, The Intertoto trips. Essen, Cork, Dublin, Belfast.......

This year. I'm bored ****less. Almost as bored as I was with the whole sorry caper in May. I mean, a pre-season game at ER postponed because of the weather? Never heard the like. It's Bollox.

And the ticket office have made an erse of my seasons.

As pre-seasons go? Crap.

Andy74
17-07-2011, 07:23 PM
If the players go into the first game at the optimum fitness they can be at, then it's been an absolutely brilliant pre-season. Simple as that.

That covers the running about. What about personnel, shape, tactics, style of play etc?

greenlex
17-07-2011, 07:27 PM
That covers the running about. What about personnel, shape, tactics, style of play etc?
The management team sort that side of it out and will live and die by results in the fullness of time.

darwenhibby
17-07-2011, 07:37 PM
I dont know anyone who's about to throw themselves under the nearest bus, :rolleyes: just a few of my mates who are fed up with the Calderwood situation and indifferent results last season and this pre season.

Progress is what we all want to see, are we seeing that? Spoke to someone who posts on here yesterday, he told me he's not going to buy a season ticket this season, and wont be back. Spoke to another this morning and he has a season ticket but wont be going much.

Its the clubs job to get us the supporters excited about the new season, do you think thats the case, i dont. Those who will go regardless will do so, those who are not so keen need poked and prodded into going. A winning team always does that, i cant see that being the case this season unless we sign at least 4-5 good players.

Things looking up already this season.:thumbsup:

Already bought 3 season tickets might just get another one now to make up for it.

Two wins two defeats, keeps our feet on the ground, we could be pleasantly suprised this year.

Can't wait for next week, was going to watch it on the telly, now thinking of setting off at 7.30 next Sunday.

GTTGH

Big Frank
18-07-2011, 08:36 PM

If we take a point in the season coming, say the 1st round of games and see where Hibernian FC stand in the league, we will be able to see what effect this preseason has had.

Halifaxhibby
18-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Starting to really fear for us this season, pretty poor line up of friendlies so far and we've struggled in every game, o'hanlon looks months away from full fitness, couldn't believe how easily he was outstripped for pace against east fife, CC doesn't have a clue what his best team is and according to tonights article he thinks we lost a proven goal scorer in rankin!!!!, there has to be at least 3-4 more signings with a bit of class and experience otherwise if we get a few more injuries we will be basement boys again.

I'm not a pessimist, i'm a realist, i think after watching Hibs for the last 25 years this is probably one of the poorest and smallest squads our clubs had. A manager who won't commit himself and a chairman who's only interested in profit.
We have a board who are extremely well paid compared to other spl clubs but embarrasingly we can only compete with the likes of st mirren and st johnstone for players wages, I will be there this season and i will support the team as always and have purchased my season ticket again but i can't see us finishing higher than 6th or 7th.
I hope i'm proved totally wrong, but i don't think theres too many of us out there that could argue with my point.
Love the club and will never stop supporting them.
Best of luck lads.

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-07-2011, 09:53 PM
I don't know why anyone is showing the slightest concern. Now that the infrastructure is in place theres only the playing side of things to invest in! Not holding my breath.